Card Trick Revisited

lf.jpg

New ESPN column today here’s the link.

Meanwhile: I’ve written several times about this photo of Stan the Man modeling the Cards’ 1956 home uni and holding a prototype of what was supposed to be the road grays (a better view of the photo’s caption is here, and a blog entry about the photo is here). The team ended up not using the road design, and the whole episode has become one of history’s classic “What might have been” prototype stories.

So I was intrigued when reader Bruce Menard recently got in touch to alert me to this auction, which is for a prototype salesman sample jersey that appears to be very similar to the one Musial was holding in the photo. The biggest difference is that the jersey in the Musial photo was button-front, while the one up for auction is zip-front. Other distinctions: The Musial jersey had a Slugger Bird left-sleeve patch, while the auction jersey doesn’t, and the auction jersey has red piping around the collar (but not down the placket, oddly) and at the sleeve cuffs, while it looks like the Musial jersey was piping-free.

The kicker is that the Musial photo was taken in 1956, while the auction listing describes the zip-front jersey as “1940s.” Could it be that the Cards were considering this design a decade prior to the Musial photo?

My go-to guy for Cardinals questions is Brian Finch, who runs the Cardinals Hall of Fame in St. Looey, so I got in touch with him. Here’s his response:

The quick answer is that I think it’s a 1956 salesman sample. … I wouldn’t get too worked up over it being a zipper-front. 1955 was the final year of the zipper-front jerseys for the Cardinals, so it makes sense that a sample made at some point prior to the ’56 season could have had a zipper-front.

I’ve seen and held the jersey at auction and it’s in wonderful condition. In fact it’s so minty, I don’t think it was worn. The corners of the numbers are sharp, there was no visible wear or pilling whatsoever, and the colors of the fabric, embroidery, and tagging were bold. All of these point to this being a sample.

As to why the auction company says it’s a 1940s piece — that’s beyond me.

So there you have it. Whatever the jersey’s provenance, it serves as an useful reminder that there’s some amazing stuff floating around out there.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Good article here about Minnesota’s hockey equipment manager (with thanks to Frank Mercogliano). … Holy crap! … Brian Schneider, who’s had one of the more interesting mask designs among MLB backstops, will apparently be wearing this with the Mets. Can’t say I’m in love with it, but at least it appears to be completely free of black (with thanks to Marc Rabinowitz). … Seth Engelbrecht reports that Illinois will wear Butkus-era throwbacks on September 6th. Details here. … The Maple Leafs held an outdoor practice the other day. Details here, and additional pics here (with thanks to Will Leslie). … Dayton wore throwbacks last night (“although that didnit stop us from shitting the bed yet again,” laments Tim Bennett). … Awesome Cali Golden Seals historical video clip, including lots of uni-related commentary, here (Frank Mercogliano again, plus he also came up with a very short video that should be a big hit at Teebz‘s house). … “I was in the Towe Auto Museum (of all places) in Sacramento,” writes Larry Brunt, “and among all the cars they had a single display case of Sacramento-oriented uniforms. Included was this jersey, worn by the Muzio’s Bakery in the 1950s. As explained on this card, the uniforms were hand-me-downs from the 1940s Yankees. How cool to have worn one of those!” … Will Brinson reports that Steve Nash is wearing sneakers that are made entirely from recycled materials. … Well, that didn’t take long. … Best analysis so far of yesterday’s theatrics.

122 comments to Card Trick Revisited

• Chip B | February 14, 2008 at 8:05 am |

The links to the Shorpy photos are not working.

• Robert | February 14, 2008 at 8:08 am |

Spring training/batting practice jersey question: What is the life cycle of the designs? I see that we are in year two of the unattractive template forced on the teams. Will there be a new one imposed next season? These days, do teams have the ability to opt out of the template, or merely some input into how it is executed for their particular squad?

• Basketball » Card Trick Revisited | February 14, 2008 at 8:10 am |

[…] Paul Lukas wrote a fantastic post today on “Card Trick Revisited”Here’s ONLY a quick extractAs explained on this card, the uniforms were hand-me-downs from the 1940s Yankees. How cool to have worn one of those!” … Will Brinson reports that Steve Nash is wearing sneakers that are made entirely from recycled materials. … […]

• Brendon | February 14, 2008 at 8:30 am |

-B

• Tony in Erie | February 14, 2008 at 8:34 am |

• Jason Axel | February 14, 2008 at 8:55 am |

I hope not, cuz I think it’d be WAY too far for memorializing someone who’s still alive…yet strangely I feel like its going to happen.[/quote]

• Mike Engle | February 14, 2008 at 8:55 am |

Hang the jersey on the bench and call it a day.

• Shaftman | February 14, 2008 at 8:56 am |

plus he also came up with a very short video that should be a big hit at Teebz’s house

Paul, I know you like Teebz but I may have to hunt the two of you down and hurt you. Why do I keep having to be reminded of the years that the Islanders forgot who they were? Especially now that Stevie Wonder has designed their current uni’s.

• Shaftman | February 14, 2008 at 8:57 am |

• teamcinnamon | February 14, 2008 at 9:05 am |

Nice Home Depot logos on the Maple Leafs’ jerseys.

I could see it now.. the so and so “artificial ice rink built by the Home Depot”, just like they do for the pre-game college football show.

• derek | February 14, 2008 at 9:11 am |

I love this logo, a big improvement from the current one.

• derek | February 14, 2008 at 9:12 am |

[quote comment=”224756″][quote comment=”224748″]A little off subject, but who wants to bet the Florida Panthers end up with a “20” patch for Richard Zednik?

I would agree with you if he was still in ICU and having complications, but the fact that he is making a good recovery leads me to believe they won’t go with a patch, but maybe next week have him come to a home game and have him come out on the ice during like intermission and they’ll give him a standing ovation.[/quote]
    This is what they did

• art | February 14, 2008 at 9:14 am |

This pink thing just got a lot worse, now that the entire ECAC hockey league (men’s and women’s teams) is staging “Pink at the Rink”

The full atrocity (including matching pink coach’s ties) is up for sale on ebay:

• derek | February 14, 2008 at 9:15 am |

[quote comment=”224766″]I love this logo, a big improvement from the current one.
    Tampa bay logo that is

• E_Ro | February 14, 2008 at 9:15 am |

• LI Phil | February 14, 2008 at 9:23 am |

[quote]New ESPN column today. Link coming shortly.[/quote]

it’s hard to believe you, sir…i hate to say that…you’re one of my heroes…but it’s hard to believe…

• Breezy | February 14, 2008 at 9:33 am |

Good to see there is no uniform change for this guy!

yeh!

• James Craven | February 14, 2008 at 9:42 am |

[quote comment=”224775″][quote]“New ESPN column today. Link coming shortly.”[/quote]

“It’s hard to believe you, sir…I hate to say that…you’re one of my heroes…but it’s hard to believe…”[/quote]

Patience, grasshopper.

• Rick | February 14, 2008 at 9:43 am |

It doesn’t look like black is going away that much for the Mets……

• Stephen | February 14, 2008 at 9:48 am |

[quote comment=”224779″]Good to see there is no uniform change for this guy!

yeh![/quote]
    Awesomeness…

• Rick White in Cedar Park, TX | February 14, 2008 at 9:51 am |

[quote comment=”224792″][quote comment=”224779″]Good to see there is no uniform change for this guy!

yeh![/quote]
    Awesomeness…[/quote]

WOO HOO!!!

• tim | February 14, 2008 at 9:52 am |

• Original Jim | February 14, 2008 at 10:04 am |

That’s the personal design website of Philip Wiebe, one of the members at Chris Creamer’s site.

• Stuby | February 14, 2008 at 10:05 am |

• Teebz | February 14, 2008 at 10:10 am |

I love those jerseys! Give that Islanders jersey some love, Shaftman! You know you want fishsticks. ;o)

As for that “alternate logo” site, those are ridiculous. The Oilers already had an alternate design done by part-owner Todd McFarlane. I appreciate the work done by Mr. Wiebe, but they aren’t all that great.

• Jason Axel | February 14, 2008 at 10:11 am |

[quote comment=”224805″][quote comment=”224760″]What do you guys make of this site? It looks like it has some concept logos and uniforms for various hockey leagues including the NHL.[/quote]
    If you back up to their main webpage and click on ‘Portfolio’ there are other sports represented as well. My guess is that they created these designs but they were not selected by the various teams.[/quote]

I Love this Clippers logo

• Taha | February 14, 2008 at 10:17 am |

• Pete | February 14, 2008 at 10:21 am |

The fact that the Post wrote a story about it tells me there would be some interest in New York. Some smart business type will have his Nicaraguan people go to the village and buy the shirts for like $1 a piece, ship them to the city, and then sell them for $20 outside Yankee Stadium before a Yankees-Red Sox game.[/quote]

• ScottyJ in WV | February 14, 2008 at 10:23 am |

• Dave Zalatoris | February 14, 2008 at 10:28 am |

• JP | February 14, 2008 at 10:35 am |

Shake & Bake, what is that, a catch phrase? Is it epilepsy? [weird french guy voice]

• DonD | February 14, 2008 at 10:39 am |

I loved the Seals clips, brought back alot of memories of going to Seals games in Jr. High and High school.

• Kim | February 14, 2008 at 10:46 am |

• teamcinnamon | February 14, 2008 at 10:47 am |

No pics??

• LI Phil | February 14, 2008 at 10:48 am |

[quote]The Post is/was so frigging obnoxious about their anti-Patriots coverage that it almost made me want to root against the Giants. It is the newspaper for people who can’t read.[/quote]

they’re homers, what do you expect?

although, in fairness, i think their insipid

* caught cheating

next to the patriots record ALL FUCKIN SEASON long was beyond reprehensible…it was funny for like, one-two weeks, maybe?

• Willy Billy | February 14, 2008 at 10:50 am |

aw shucks, when I saw there would be the “Best analysis so far of yesterday’s theatrics”…I eagerly clicked looking for a discussion of Michael Phelps’ junk.

• David T | February 14, 2008 at 10:53 am |

Great story about Harry Broadfoot, the Golden Gopher hockey equipment manager. Especially dig his quote about his job:

“I see other people doing things and I think I don’t have it bad at all. Plus, I work with great personalities, I eat good and I’m getting paid for it.”

• teamcinnamon | February 14, 2008 at 10:56 am |

[quote comment=”224817″][quote comment=”224814″][quote comment=”224796″]Nice to see the Nicaraguan kids are getting clothes, but just think about how much food and (appropriate) clothing they could afford with the money made by selling these shirts and hats to cynical/ironic American fans.[/quote]

That’s what we have to deal with when there’s another major sporting event revolving around a Boston team vs. a New York team.

• Giancarlo | February 14, 2008 at 11:03 am |

I love how the Seals documentary uses music from the soundtrack of American Gigolo, starting at 2:38.

• Kenny | February 14, 2008 at 11:09 am |

• Joey Guns | February 14, 2008 at 11:09 am |

[quote comment=”224835″]Can’t believe the comments have gone on this long without mention that the needy kids in Nicaragua getting cast-off New England Patriots t-shirts seem to be better dressed than the Pats coach…..and that’s BEFORE they got the t-shirts.[/quote]

True

They should have instead sold those t-shirts on Ebay, and then give all of the profits to Nicaragua. I bet those t-shirts would go for a pretty penny as gag gifts!!!!

• Kenny | February 14, 2008 at 11:13 am |

No mention about the Congressman who asked Shake & Bake which uniform he was going to wear in the HOF?? Greenberg mentioned it this morning and he was annoyed 1. with the question and 2. he said “you don’t wear a uniform in the HOF”

• Joey Guns | February 14, 2008 at 11:20 am |

• Johnny O | February 14, 2008 at 11:22 am |

Definatly NSFW!!!

• Jason Axel | February 14, 2008 at 11:25 am |

[quote comment=”224862″]Not sure if this has been mentioned on Uni Watch yet, but Steve Nash wears sneakers made from recycled materials…….

….it was in the ticker TODAY….

• teamcinnamon | February 14, 2008 at 11:26 am |

It was. Today.

• LI Phil | February 14, 2008 at 11:30 am |

joey…do you just skip down to the comments???

• Anthony | February 14, 2008 at 11:30 am |

Way off topic, but somebody PLEASE do a follow up on that guy tatooing the Brady’s helmet on his head!!! I hope he jumped the gun and put 19-0 on his stupid scalp.

• KT | February 14, 2008 at 11:36 am |

Part of the reason they do it is to keep that stuff off the market in the US. Or, at least, that’s a bonus. But there’s a reason they don’t just give it to homeless people here or sell it here. They want it out of sight, but still where it can do some good.

• Dave Zalatoris | February 14, 2008 at 11:47 am |

[quote comment=”224850″][quote comment=”224823″]Paul there is a new fashion trend I’m sure you started. At O’Hare this morning, there was a girl who had green stirrups on with her flip-flops.[/quote]

Wait..as in Chicago O’Hare?? It’s freakin’ 20 degrees here today…what the hell is she doing wearing flip flops?[/quote]

Lot of flip-flops today at ORD. Spring break starts early.

• Jet | February 14, 2008 at 11:47 am |

I’m swooning over the Seals footage…

That was my team, back in the day. I lived and breathed Seals hockey from 3,000 miles away in NY… (see my membership card for confirmation)

VERY interesting thing at the beginning of that video, where they show the dark jersey – its their first year jersey style with a big wordmark “Seals” across the front above the logo – very similar to the “Vancouver” wordmark on the new Canucks jerseys!!!!!

I’d never seen that before. That has to be a prototype jersey because I’ve never seen any game action photos of that jersey. As mysterious as that Musial Cardinals jersey!!!! What a theme day!

– Jet

• Jet | February 14, 2008 at 11:53 am |

PAUL: Have you ever done a Uniwatch segment on the pro hockey teams that have worn colored skates??

You have the Seals with three different variations:
    – yellow with green trim
    – white with green trim
    – all white with green laces

And also:

NY Golden Blades of the WHA – all white

and:

St. Louis Blues and Pittsburgh Penguins briefly wore colored skates similar to the Seals yellow/green look. In Pitt’s case, it was with their powder blue/dark blue color scheme. I think Detroit may also have done this as well, briefly.

I have a picture of St.Louis’ colored skates if you want, and somewhere I’m pretty sure I have a pic of the Penguins’ skates.

-Jet

• todd krevanchi | February 14, 2008 at 12:09 pm |

i have the same gripe with that show “home makeover”. i know all that stuff is donated but they could help a dozen or more families get new or updated housing by simply building modest housing fitting the families needs rather than building a 4 person family a three quarters of a million dollar house with amenities the kids will grow out of in a year.

• Seth H | February 14, 2008 at 12:15 pm |

How can you not enjoy such brilliance?

• James R | February 14, 2008 at 12:16 pm |
  • KT | February 14, 2008 at 12:21 pm |

A “mint?”

Seriously, how many of these were made for that day (with the rest probably held for the final result and the next day)? If the supply is small and demand is great, yeah, the price for them would be higher than a normal t-shirt, but what is it going to be? $500? Is someone that sick that they’re going to pay $400 for a Pats’ 19-0 t-shirt?

• Talon Lardner | February 14, 2008 at 12:22 pm |

-B[/quote]

• Terri | February 14, 2008 at 12:22 pm |

[quote comment=”224907″]

How can you not enjoy such brilliance?[/quote]

That’s what happens when you’re owned by Rupert Murdoch…

• KT | February 14, 2008 at 12:23 pm |

[quote comment=”224907″]The Post is one of the most entertaining reads there is. A recent example: When Ike Turner died, the obituary was headlined: “Ike ‘Beats’ Tina to Death”

How can you not enjoy such brilliance?[/quote]

That was classic.

“HEADLESS BODY IN TOPLESS BAR” is still probably the best work from them, but Ike Beats Tina to Death is right up there.

In the non-US category, when Inverness Caledonian Thistle beat Celtic in the Scottish Cup a few years back, the headline in one of the papers (might have been the Guardian) was “SUPER CALLEY GOES BALLISTIC, CELTIC ARE ATROCIOUS.”

That’s money as well.

• teamcinnamon | February 14, 2008 at 12:23 pm |

[quote comment=”224907″]

How can you not enjoy such brilliance?[/quote]

I agree.

• Robert | February 14, 2008 at 12:24 pm |

Definatly NSFW!!![/quote]

All I see is some lady in a blue shirt yelling at the camera. No socks.

• Neil | February 14, 2008 at 12:31 pm |

Isn’t it worse that we are teaching Nicaraguan children improper history? Won’t they all think the Patriots actually won and went undefeated? We continue to do a disservice. Just give them money for schools.

• KT | February 14, 2008 at 12:34 pm |

[quote comment=”224918″]All I see is some lady in a blue shirt yelling at the camera. No socks.[/quote]

Yeah, but that’s hot.

• Brendon | February 14, 2008 at 12:41 pm |

[quote comment=”224914″][quote comment=”224747″]I have to give an informative speech in my communications class. I want to do something uni related. Does anyone have any good ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-B[/quote]
    One idea that I think would go over well is to take a team local to the area and talk about the history of their uniform. Make sure to talk about the “why”s of changing their uniform, as well as how the uniform changed their materials over time.[/quote]

Thanks a lot that sounds like a good idea.
    -B

• Frankie | February 14, 2008 at 12:58 pm |

[quote comment=”224818″]Gotta love Roger “Shake & Bake” Clemens! That commentary was just awesome, man. Wooooo!! Shake & Bake![/quote]

I actually thought that it was pretty bad.

• KT | February 14, 2008 at 12:59 pm |

-B[/quote]

Make sure you get some visual aids as well. :)

• Marc | February 14, 2008 at 1:09 pm |

Here they are, Johan Santana’s first pictures in Mets paraphenelia (sp?)

GREY?!?!?! GET THE MAN A BLUE T-SHIRT. HES A MET!

• E_Ro | February 14, 2008 at 1:11 pm |

[quote comment=”224890″][quote comment=”224772″]That California Golden Seals video is the first i’ve seen of the white skates on the ice.[/quote]

You have the Seals with three different variations:
    – yellow with green trim
    – white with green trim
    – all white with green laces

And also:

NY Golden Blades of the WHA – all white

and:

-Jet[/quote]

I’m not sure I understand how this worked. Did the teams wear some kind of cover over the boot, or did the skates actually come colored from the manufacturer?

• Paul Lukas | February 14, 2008 at 1:17 pm |

Today’s ESPN column is up.

• todd krevanchi | February 14, 2008 at 1:27 pm |

[quote comment=”224913″][quote comment=”224905″]great point. with the supply so small and the demand so great from collectors, card guys, etc. you could raise a mint by auctioning them off and then taking that cash and giving real aid.[/quote]

A “mint?”

I don’t know how many were made or what someone would pay, but I’d be surprised if you could generate a “mint” from Pats’ 19-0 t-shirts. Or that it could make a huge dent in their problem.[/quote]

lets say 100 shirts and hats were on hand. and suppose $5000 is generated from the auction of these items.

• LI Phil | February 14, 2008 at 1:32 pm |

nice column PL

is that kelso wearing the gladiator?

• Mike | February 14, 2008 at 1:36 pm |

• MPowers1634 | February 14, 2008 at 1:45 pm |

In the far left of this picture from Paul’s column, the player #82 seems to be wearing an early version of a Bike/Schutt helmet. Check out the nose bumper. As is Steve Wallace in the Procap picture. Which is interesting becasue Kelso wore a Riddell.

• Mets/Jets Fan in Chicagoland | February 14, 2008 at 1:48 pm |

I thing that this looks like a demented pumpkin, and this should never see the light of day (too many bad memories associated with teal and the “Fish sticks” jerseys), although I do dig the angry penguin on the jersey

• LI Phil | February 14, 2008 at 1:50 pm |

[quote comment=”224958″]nice column PL

is that kelso wearing the gladiator?[/quote]

whoops…

wrong kelso

is this mark kelso?

• MPowers1634 | February 14, 2008 at 1:50 pm |

The release of automotive innovations have recently coincided with Motion Picture releases:
    The Ford Taurus is Robocop
    The first Ford Explorer in Jurassic Park

• MPowers1634 | February 14, 2008 at 1:52 pm |

in Robocop

• Stuby | February 14, 2008 at 1:56 pm |

I don’t know. I still haven’t gotten used to the Riddell Revolution helmet and it’s been around several years. Then again, I think the Ford Taurus looks like shit too.

• Stuby | February 14, 2008 at 1:58 pm |

Ack, what happened to that Jersey Joe ad at the top of the page?!?

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | February 14, 2008 at 2:03 pm |

often times on here i cant distinguish what is being discussed when there are helmet debates. schutt/ridell/ion/revolution… i have no clue. all i ever see are the facemasks.

• LI Phil | February 14, 2008 at 2:14 pm |

[quote comment=”224983″]agreed that there will be push back on this new “gladiator” helmet, but not because of the helmet, its because of the facemask.[/quote]

it’s not just the facemask…although that’s ugly as sin…it’s the fact that the helmet itself (at least in the linked pic) looks like to be this size

maybe if a 6’6″, 350 lb. lineman models it, it won’t look so stoopid, but it’s kind of hard to get past both the facemask and the helmet’s size right now

• Joey Guns | February 14, 2008 at 2:14 pm |

Funny Kelvin Sampson (Indiana coach) cartoon:

• KT | February 14, 2008 at 2:16 pm |

[quote comment=”224956″]i would think that card dealers and collectors would pay upwards of $500 for an item like this. look what they pay for some of the memorabilia now! in fact someone like robert kraft might even offer an enormous sum just so those items would never make it to collectors.

isnt $5000 in food, water, shelter and clothes that actually fit children better than 100 shirts and 100 hats designed to fit 6’6 350 giants?[/quote]

Nor is $5,000 a “mint.”

• TOG | February 14, 2008 at 2:18 pm |

Can this prototype helmet be any bigger? OMG!

Here’s the matching equipment to go with this helmet….

• KT | February 14, 2008 at 2:19 pm |

Let’s try that again, thank you very much blog software:

Nor is $5,000 a “mint.”

• TOG | February 14, 2008 at 2:20 pm |

Cold Steel on Ice. Commit to the Indian!!!

Blackhawks Hockey. Let’s Take It Outside!!!

• KT | February 14, 2008 at 2:21 pm |

• MPowers1634 | February 14, 2008 at 2:28 pm |

and i think that until the facemask is changed on the “gladiator” to something that looks “cool” only a few experienced veterans who have serious concerns for their future well being will even consider it.[/quote]

This discussion does not differ at all from those that I had at the beginning of the 2002-03 NFL season. That is the year that the Revolution wAS first worn in the league on a regular basis. The first player to wear one in a game setting was James Hodgins of the Rams during the Super Bowl against the Patriots.
    Sam Madison, while with the Dolphins, was the first high profile veteran to rock the revo, and everyone thought he was crazy for doing so.
    Innovation is often ahead of it’s time and the masses often gawk at the products brought forth.
    In the sneaker world, five examples come to mind:
    Air Jordan I
    Reebok Omni(Pump)
    Nike Air Foamposite One
    Nike Shox VC
    Adidas Kobe Two

Adidas Kobe 2

• Smail | February 14, 2008 at 2:35 pm |

The Chad Johnson line is priceless. Nice work!

• Smail | February 14, 2008 at 2:36 pm |

PS: And how funny is it that the Jersey Joe ad features the Padres sand camo alt, and a green Mets jersey. At least it’s not black.

• MPowers1634 | February 14, 2008 at 2:40 pm |

Nonetheless, I agree with Todd concerning the acceptance factor. If someone like LaDanian chose to wear one, first of all it wouldn’t be much of a deviance from his present lid, but many other players would follow suit, not to mention the High School, Modified, and Pop Warner kids who would want to be just like their idols.
    We are all very fickle, myself included. As I look at the Gladiator, I’m reminded of this, however I wouldn’t be any different than the lemmings that I mentioned above.
    I have been and always will be a Schutt guy though!

• Scott B | February 14, 2008 at 2:40 pm |

Code Red by Col Nathan Jessup-Clemens

Clemens: You want answers?

Congressman: I think I’m entitled to them.

Clemens: You want answers?

Congressman: I want the truth!

Clemens: You can’t handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has
    baseballs. And those balls have to be hit by men with bats. Who’s gonna
    do it? You? You, Congressman? I have a greater responsibility than you
    can possibly fathom. You weep for steroids and you curse HGH. You have
    that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that HGH,
    while illegal, probably sells tickets. And my existence, while
    grotesque
    and incomprehensible to you, sells tickets…You don’t want the truth.
    Because deep down, in places you don’t talk about at parties, you want
    me on that mound. You need me on that mound. We use words like
    fastball,
    slider, splitfinger…we use these words as the backbone to a life
    spent
    playing a sport. You use ’em as a punchline. I have neither the time
    nor
    the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and falls asleep
    to
    the Sportscenter clips I provide, then questions the manner in which I
    provide it! I’d rather you just said thank you and went on your way.
    Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a bat and dig in. Either way, I don’t
    give a damn what you think you’re entitled to!

Congressman: Did you order the HGH?

Clemens: (quietly) I did the job you sent me to do.

Congressman: Did you order the HGH?

Clemens: You’re god damn right I did!!

• Scott B | February 14, 2008 at 2:43 pm |

• Johnny O | February 14, 2008 at 2:43 pm |

[quote comment=”224918″][quote comment=”224867″]I think I remember last year that some of the Uni Watcher Faithful also watch Big Brother. Things are already heating up in the BB house and one house guest who is a “bikini barista” (Natalie) has some sweet pics of her on my space. To make this uni related, here she is in some sweet socks!

Definatly NSFW!!![/quote]

All I see is some lady in a blue shirt yelling at the camera. No socks.[/quote]

The link didn’t work? Here is another NSFW link to the main page. The one with Natalie in the socks is kind of in the middle.

Plus if you are a fan of Big Brother DO NOT scroll down past the pics. because there are a ton of spoilers for the show.

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | February 14, 2008 at 2:46 pm |

[quote comment=”224991″]$5,000 would be great, probably better than shirts and hats, I grant you. Nicaragua has the third-lowest per-capita income in the Western Hemisphere, though, so it’s not going to make a huge dent in their plight.

Nor is $5,000 a “mint.”

And I remain skeptical you’d pay $500 for a t-shirt you could basically make yourself for[/quote]

so it’s not going to make a huge dent in their plight.

of course its not gonna make a “huge dent”, a term you continuosly seem to use in this discussion. but just because a means to raise money for aid wont make an enormous impact on the problem or solve it all together, doesnt mean it should be discounted, abandoned and substituted with team apparel.

Nor is $5,000 a “mint.”

perhaps in the grand scheme of things, to the neighborhood that received the team apparel, $5000 is a mint. perhaps not. however please accept my apologies for my semantics in my haphazard use of the term “mint” and the corresponding dollar amount with which it is attached.

you dont have to be skeptical, your’e absolutely right. “I” wouldnt spend that amount. which is why in my previous 2 posts in this discussion i mentioned that it would be collectors and card dealers who would.

• Joey Guns | February 14, 2008 at 2:49 pm |

[quote comment=”224996″]You know what? To hell with it. You’re right. Nicaraguans would enjoy the highest standard of living in Central America thanks to Patriots 19-0 t-shirts. And they could use some of the leftover money to buy blog software that doesn’t suck.[/quote]

I think the Nicaragua people need to pool their money and buy one of those $150 laptops. Those people down there could sell those shirts themselves on Ebay!

• u2horn | February 14, 2008 at 3:36 pm |

[quote comment=”225011″]I’m pretty sure that this is NOT official St. Louis Cardinals Spring Training attire….Stay Classy, Izzy!![/quote]
    Wonder why they used a flipped Y for the ‘Y’ and a W rotated 180 degrees for the ‘M’.

• Duckstyle | February 14, 2008 at 3:53 pm |

Am I the only one that thought that was Tom Hanks at first glance?

• Pat | February 14, 2008 at 4:12 pm |

Jeez, whoever thought those would actually look good?!

• todd krevanchi | February 14, 2008 at 4:20 pm |

scott b.
    that jessup/clemens waxman/caffey portrayal of a few good men is absolute genius.

kudos to you.

hope you dont mind if…
    a. i sent it out to my nonsense email crowd
    b. i use it as a comedy skit at my club’s next event.

• todd krevanchi | February 14, 2008 at 4:46 pm |

[quote comment=”225041″]Kobe, much like the masses, disliked the Kobe Two so much that he broke his contract with Adidas thus causing one of the biggest sneaker/apparel free-for-alls in history.

Jeez, whoever thought those would actually look good?!

Remember when Adidas tried to do away with the whole lace thing? What a bad idea.[/quote]

as a sneakerhead and more so nikehead, i tend not to pay attention to those other shoe companies. but when adidas halted the KB8 line and started the KOBE line. i couldnt help but look.

when the KOBETWO was released, the design was basically something that had never been seen before. although not as aesthetically pleasing as the KOBE, i thought it was the most revolutionary thing in sneaker design in years. maybe dating back to the advent of air soles. i ended up REALLY liking the look of that shoe even though it was looked at as a failure.

kobe leaves, however the design team at adidas had a KOBEIII all ready. and just when i thought that the shoe game couldnt get any more innovative or revolutionary… they gave us this sample.
    sure, its unorthodox, but often times innovation is unorthodox. as much as i want to say that its an ugly shoe, i cant because im drawn to its design features. this shoe is about as close to an automobile as you can get with all those vents!

adidas really dumped all of their r&d money into those KOBE shoes, and its a shame that it didnt pan out because that would have thrown down the gauntlet for competing companies to design revolutionary footwear.

• LI Phil | February 14, 2008 at 5:05 pm |

[quote comment=”225055″]the KOBE was an absolutely beautiful shoe. it was designed in conjunction with audi and modeled after the audi tt.[/quote]

unfortunately, the kobe IV never really gained any traction

• James Craven | February 14, 2008 at 5:17 pm |

As per the Blackhawks idea to go outside at Soldier Field next year, why not have them play the Red Wings in the throwbacks?

• joe | February 14, 2008 at 5:38 pm |

Shooting at Northern Illinois University, new black band will, I’m sure be on all MAC unis.

• LI Phil | February 14, 2008 at 5:47 pm |

WTF? no stripes?

A kindergarten in northern Sweden has introduced an unusual form of dress code, banning staff and children from wearing clothes with stripes or dots, a news report said today.

full story

/slow uni-news day or what?

• JD | February 14, 2008 at 5:50 pm |

Hey guys,

I want to purchase a 1999 Seattle Mariners alternate jersey. I can’t find one anywhere. Any ideas? Thanks.

• MPowers1634 | February 14, 2008 at 6:30 pm |

Again, I am going to echo what Todd has said. I am a Nike disciple 1000 percent,especially when it comes to performance footwear. Having played three sports since first grade, it was always Nike or nothing. The one year that I went with the Reebok football cleats that my college football program provided, my feet paid a definite price.
    Over the years, the only company that has ever made me take a second look was Adidas, starting with their feet you wear line, Keyshawn Johnson era, the start of the Kobe era. Actually before that it was the Response Trail line of running shoes which have always been favorites of mine.
    Nike always gets credit for pushing the innovative envelope, however the Kobe one and two in my mind were things of beauty. I think the Kobe 3 would have been incredible, although decades before its’ time.
    There was one other Nike, that I thought to be so absolutely beautiful design-wise that I would have never been able to wear it for their intended purpose: The Ultraposite. They were only produced in a black-matte “colorway” yet samples popped up everywhere in TB, Team Bank, colors that I would have jumped at. Again a design way ahead of it’s time, the shoe quickly hit the discount racks and faded away only to be remembered wistfully on boards like this and the ever-entertaining Niketalk.

• MPowers1634 | February 14, 2008 at 6:42 pm |

I can only hope my beautiful wife has picked up on my hints to wear something like this!

A good night to all, here’s hoping for alot of November bbirthdays this year!!!!!

• lwiedy | February 14, 2008 at 7:03 pm |

[quote comment=”225045″]scott b.

kudos to you.

hope you dont mind if…
    a. i sent it out to my nonsense email crowd
    b. i use it as a comedy skit at my club’s next event.[/quote]

Not to say this concept was “lifted” but it did appear as a reader letter in SI last spring with the NCAA taking the role of Jessup. It still works but the original was a masterpiece.

• diz | February 14, 2008 at 7:28 pm |

[quote comment=”225085″]Since the board seems a bit “tired” today, I am hoping that the only uniforms to be seen tonight, male or female, will include items from such NSFW sources as this, this, this, or this!
    [/quote]

That’s doubtful, it’s a UEFA Cup night…

• Terri | February 14, 2008 at 8:04 pm |

I don’t care who wrote it originally…that few good men/clemens thing is freakin’ genius.

• Judy Adams | February 14, 2008 at 8:17 pm |

The guy who runs the Cardinals’ Hall of Fame is named Brian FINCH???? That’s brilliant.

• LI Phil | February 14, 2008 at 8:22 pm |
  • Ryan Roller | February 14, 2008 at 8:33 pm |

According to this line (not sure if its been posted already):

“For the first time since Paul O’Neill retired, No. 21 has been given out at Yankees camp — to Morgan Ensberg”

and

“while Phil Hughes gave Sean Henn a steak dinner to change from No. 65 to Henn’s No. 34.”

From a good article called “Yankees by the numbers.”

~Ryan

• Mario | February 14, 2008 at 9:39 pm |

geez that old lady is only an alternate captain???! what are they looking for in a captain? more experience?

• Patrick | February 14, 2008 at 11:27 pm |

[quote comment=”224976″][quote comment=”224963″]Paul’s article on the Gladiator helmet: I know they look funny, but a lot of groundbreaking designs look strange at first and then are ultimately accepted. (The original Ford Taurus comes to mind.) If these are truly a much better product in terms of safety, what’s the big deal?[/quote]

The Ford Taurus is Robocop
    The first Ford Explorer in Jurassic Park
    The Initial Mercedes M-Class, their first delving into the SUV market was first displayed in Jurassic Park 2.[/quote]

Wasn’t the Ford Taurus used in “Runaway” in 1984? “Robocop” came out in 1987.

• Evan | February 15, 2008 at 12:01 am |

Anyone else find this funny
    A game used Carl Pavano jersey
    Hes only pitched in like 10 games for the Yankees so its pretty rare haha

• Ed | February 15, 2008 at 12:22 am |

Not sure if this has been posted yet or not but this is right up your alley Paul.
    LINK

• James Craven | February 15, 2008 at 12:44 am |

In the light of the tragic events at NIU, all athletic events have been cancelled including Saturday’s “Think Pink” women’s basketball game where NIU was to wear pink-trimmed uniforms against Ohio University.

Please, no sarcastic comments about the unis in wake of the news, thank you.

• Jerico | February 15, 2008 at 3:49 am |

Burning the midnight oil, as I just got home from a rather decent night and can’t go to sleep…

CNBC’s Darren Rovell, he of the Nike documentary “Swoosh”, digs up this nugget he received after the documentary premiered on Tuesday.

• MPowers1634 | February 15, 2008 at 8:49 am |

There is a Nike base in my town, of all places. I have never been up there to find any evidence of plagiarism, myabe this weekend I’ll have to take the hike up the mountain.

• Jet | February 15, 2008 at 10:54 am |

In answer to E_Ro’s question yesterday about how the few hockey teams got the colored skates –

I can only answer for the Seals. In a book about the team that came out last year called “Shorthanded”, it was mentioned that the trainer actually painted the skates with white paint, which caused them to feel heavier!! As they got scuffed up, he had to keep repainting them!! No wonder the Seals looked like they were dragging at times, they were carrying around all that extra weight!!

-Jet