Coats Of Many Colors

tcj-socks-06

By Bryan Redemske

The Giants won the Super Bowl, and all they’ll have to show for it — aside from the shiny trophy — is a jersey patch. Maybe. The Red Sox won the World Series in the fall. They may wear a cap patch or jersey patch for their first home series, but they won’t have any other overt, uni-borne tribute to their championship. Contrast that with cycling, where a national or world championship is worth a year of bragging rights, right on your chest.

Everybody knows about the Tour de France and the maillot jaune — the yellow jersey. But it’s far from the only jersey to be won over the course of the year. While all professional — and many amateur — stage races have leader’s jerseys, world championship and national championship jerseys are precious commodities.

The rainbow jersey, awarded to the UCI (cycling’s international governing body) world champion in a number of cycling disciplines, pretty much always looks like this. Depending upon the budget, some teams choose to outfit their rider in a full kit of stripes. But the rules attached to the jersey are arguably more important than the jersey itself:

A world champion must wear the jersey when competing in the same discipline, category and speciality for which the title was won. For example, the world road race champion would wear the garment while competing in stage races and one-day races, but would not be entitled to wear it during time trials. Similarly, on the track, the world individual pursuit champion would only wear the jersey when competing in other individual pursuit events.

Also, after a rider’s year-long reign, he gets to keep the stripes:

After the end of a rider’s championship year, they are eligible to wear piping in the same rainbow pattern on the collar and cuffs of their jersey. They retain this right for the remainder of their career, and like the jersey it can only be worn in the same discipline and speciality in which the title was won.

Additionally, if the world champion leads a stage race, he or she must wear that race’s leader’s jersey instead of the rainbow stripes. Also, failure to wear the stripes when required results in a fine. Damn.

Aside from the world champion, the pro peloton is also dotted with various national champions. The deal here is the same — wear your national championship gear for the event in which you won it. Here’s 2006 U.S. champion George Hincapie in his road race kit and time trial suit. When teammate Levi Leipheimer won the 2007 U.S. championship, he took over the stars and stripes and Hincapie went back to Discovery Channel’s black-and-blue kit. That’s Leipheimer on the left and Hincapie in the Tour of Missouri leader’s jersey.

This year, Leipheimer is riding for Astana, since Discovery Channel disbanded. His new kit leaves a little to be desired. I really hope that’s just a rough version. Hincapie, now riding for Team High Road (formerly T-Mobile), can wear the U.S. champion’s stripes on his cuffs and collar if he chooses.

And here’s what the rest of the world looks like. The plain-looking ones (no sponsors) are podium jerseys, awarded immediately after the championship race. Those with sponsors are the rider’s kit for the year. Those countries with multiple jerseys have a number of disciplines shown. “RR” is road race, while “CLM” is time trial and “U23” is the under-23 competition. “CC” is cyclocross, but I haven’t the slightest idea what “ST” is.

Though most of that site is in German, it’s worth exploring a little further. Almost every pro team — on a number of levels — is represented, from 2000 to 2007. When the Tour of California gets underway on Feb. 17, we’ll get a look at some of the new versions of the national champions jerseys — including Leipheimer’s. Many stay similar year to year, but if there’s something particularly interesting, I’ll try to grab it.

Next time you think somebody’s jersey patch is a little much, just remember it could look like this.

And now over to Paul for today’s Ticker…

Uni Watch News Ticker: It takes a good 10 or 15 minutes to digest, but there’s a fascinatingly detailed authentication analysis of a Babe Ruth jersey here (with thanks to Dave Grob). … Yikes (with “thanks” to Glenn Chamberlain). … Bryan Packer reports that the Utes have kicked Nike to the curb. … Yesterday’s comments included a link to an eBay auction for this amazing photo, which shows Larry Doby wearing the kind of wraparound helmet that I had to wear while running the bases in Little League. Incredible. When I showed the photo to Todd Radom, he responded with this, which shows Jimmie Foxx posing with the A.L. and N.L. batboys at the 1936 All-Star Game. … Some wise-ass says this made him think of Uni Watch. … The pink thing has really gotten out of hand. … Ohio University has taken the unusual step of changing its hockey uni in the middle of the season, going from this to this. “They just make me want to throw up when I see them out there on the ice,” says Patrick LaBute, who brought the situation to my attention. “The fact that the base color is gray is bad enough, followed by the ‘shiny’ material you would find on a basketball team. Oh, and the ugly giant green stripe that’s WAY too big at the bottom. AND the different colored piping, black on the bottom stripes and sleeve stripes, and white on the numbers and crest??? (I was told this was a mistake by the team manager.)” Yeah, but Patrick, how do you really feel about them? … Scroll down to the sixth paragraph of this page for some interesting info on Marc-Andre Fleury’s switch from yellow goalie pads to white.

159 comments to Coats Of Many Colors

• Neil | February 8, 2008 at 9:15 am |

And his photo gallery is at

• C.N.q | February 8, 2008 at 9:15 am |

I miss those days.

• Mike Edgerly | February 8, 2008 at 9:18 am |

Bryan,

• Dane | February 8, 2008 at 9:18 am |

Some wise-ass says this made him think of Uni Watch.

• Dane | February 8, 2008 at 9:20 am |

More pink uniforms this weekend: Yale Women’s Hockey.

• MPowers1634 | February 8, 2008 at 9:21 am |

• Chris ATL | February 8, 2008 at 9:24 am |

More PINK for you

• Pat | February 8, 2008 at 9:25 am |

It seems to me a lot of cycling uniforms are quite extravagant, to a point where I can’t stand them. But that’s just me.

I did always enjoy the classic Lance Armstrong Discovery Channel shirt though.

• Mark in Shiga | February 8, 2008 at 9:27 am |

Those Ohio hockey jerseys would look a lot better if they ditched that little number on the front. It looks out of place right under the giant “OHIO” logo.

• Stuby | February 8, 2008 at 9:27 am |

A sidebar question:

• Kyle O | February 8, 2008 at 9:28 am |

• LI Phil | February 8, 2008 at 9:28 am |

sometimes stripes aren’t always pleasing

• MPowers1634 | February 8, 2008 at 9:28 am |

[quote comment=”221151″]Some wise-ass says this made him think of Uni Watch.

Yeah, who would say something like that??? Of all the nerve… let’s get ’em!!! Oh, wait.[/quote]

I would just as much assume a quote of such poor taste to come out of the mouth(or keyboard) of the same caliber of person that would believe that placing a cactus on a hockey sweater to be normal!

(sarcasm)

• Bryan Redemske | February 8, 2008 at 9:29 am |

I did always enjoy the classic Lance Armstrong Discovery Channel shirt though.[/quote]

Road racing — like in the Tour de France when the whole pack is on the road togethe.

Time trial — just you and your bike, racing the clock. That’s when they wear the spaceman helmets.

Mountain — self-explanatory.

Track — usually indoors on a banked track

BMX — no, really

Cyclocross — Like off-road NASCAR, but with barriers to jump and hills to run up with your bike on your shoulder.

And that US Postal kit is my favorite, too.

• JBees | February 8, 2008 at 9:31 am |

• Pat | February 8, 2008 at 9:36 am |

[quote comment=”221164″][quote comment=”221156″]Forgive me for not knowing much about cycling. But, what exactly are different disciplines? I pretty much thought they were all just riding bikes, I didn’t think that there were different kinds of pedaling. Anyone care to enlighten me a little bit… Bryan?

Mountain — self-explanatory.

Track — usually indoors on a banked track

BMX — no, really

And that US Postal kit is my favorite, too.[/quote]

Good call… I just picked the first non-yellow Lance shirt I could find… didn’t think to change it from Discovery to Postal. I actually never liked the Discovery one… just forgot he was a Postal guy too.

Thanks for the info, I had no idea cycling was so vast in specialties. The only time I’ve ever watched is the Tour de France.

• MPowers1634 | February 8, 2008 at 9:37 am |

Or perhaps a gold C?

• Bryan Redemske | February 8, 2008 at 9:37 am |

[quote comment=”221150″]Bryan,

It bears mentioning that although Lance used the rainbow stripes on the cuffs of his regular team kit he ditched them late in his career.[/quote]

Quite true. He dumped them early in the 2004 season, though his signature line of shoes had them until 2005, when he changed to the 10//2 color scheme.

[quote comment=”221159″]
    For the Olympic road race, do the nations function as teams in the same sense as a normal Tour type race?[/quote]

Kind of. But a lot of times you’ll have very good riders from a number of different pro teams all trying to be the team leader. It probably starts with some strategy, but turns into a free-for-all.

• NJHawkeye | February 8, 2008 at 9:38 am |

While looking at possible baseball books to read in the spring, I came across this soon to be released book on Chief Bender. The cover has a really neat photo of Chief Bender. Check out the sweater! Obviously from his days with the Athletics, but I can’t figure out if what that white spot is on the middle of it. Is it part of the sweater or a blotch on the photo.

Link

• Floormaster Squeeze | February 8, 2008 at 9:42 am |

I am a cycling fan and sometimes really like the colors. But obviously the clashing sponsors ruin even the best designs. This years Serrament/PVC/blah/blah/blah jersey is unbelievably much. Here is there most famous rider, Gilberto Simoni, with then new duds.

Gilberto Simoni with ads

I did not think people would care but there was an interesting uni-related happening earlier this year at the Australian National Championships (most countries national championships are in N. Hemisphere summer but Australia has their’s in their summer). Adam Hansen won the Australian Nat. Time Trial but his team did not have jersey’s yet (Team High Road lost its sponsor T-Mobile pretty late but there may have been another reason). Anyway, here is a picture of Hansen in the time trial without his team colors. He had a Team High Road jersey a few days later for the road race.

Adam Hansen in plain blue

• al | February 8, 2008 at 9:44 am |

• Luther Mahoney | February 8, 2008 at 9:45 am |

allowed to wear the “scudetto” patch on the
    front of their jerseys for the duration of the season. The patch is shaped like a shield and
    is outlined in gold with the green,white and
    red encased in the patch.

• Robert | February 8, 2008 at 9:46 am |

It was nice to read that despite the players’ desire to wear black uniforms, the Utes will not give in to them and will continue to wear the true school colors. It is a shame that they will permit black as an accent color, however.

• Mike Edgerly | February 8, 2008 at 9:47 am |

[quote comment=”221159″]I always thought that ‘rainbow’ striping was for the Olympic champion, since they’re the same colors as the rings. Thanks, Bryan, I learned something new.

A sidebar question:

Paolo Bettini wore a gold helmet in honor of his 2004 Olympic road Race victory along with his Rainbow Kit in 2006. I’m pretty sure that the Gold Helmet and handlebar tape (here along with Italy NC kit) were strictly his doing and the UCI went along.

Also see Bryan’s post above about National teams in the Olympics and World Championships.

• Jon | February 8, 2008 at 9:53 am |

• Jim | February 8, 2008 at 9:58 am |

WTF

If they were ever to wear these, I think I might cry.

• Nicole | February 8, 2008 at 10:03 am |

[quote comment=”221147″]Deadspin has an amazing article about a guy who snuck into the Giants victory celebration and took a bunch of pictures. The article is at

And his photo gallery is at

Too bad he doesn’t know how to use the focus on his camera!

• GregW | February 8, 2008 at 10:06 am |

Here’s Paolo Pezzo after winning Gold in Atlanta

• badly drawn boykins | February 8, 2008 at 10:06 am |

allowed to wear the “scudetto” patch on the
    is outlined in gold with the green,white and
    red encased in the patch.[/quote]Yup, you can see the jersey and the detail here.

You can also see the patch Liverpool wears for Champions League matches, since they’ve won it 5 times: pic

• GregW | February 8, 2008 at 10:07 am |

• Dane | February 8, 2008 at 10:18 am |

• E_Ro | February 8, 2008 at 10:19 am |

[quote comment=”221176″]Just and FYI that hockey isn’t an official NCAA sport at Ohio University – it is a club sport. My guess is that the uniform codes for such a sport are less hard and fast. They probably got new uniforms when they could finally afford them.[/quote]

Yeah I agree, since it is only club, I wouldn’t be as hard on them. I really don’t see anything wrong with the sweater colors/design/materials. My problem is the white helmets worn with non-white unis.

• LI Phil | February 8, 2008 at 10:23 am |

[quote comment=”221172″]Not wanting this to get political or into musical taste, but yesterday the two combined to make a cool logo.[/quote]

saw that yesterday (or early this am)…as a former deadhead, i thought it was cool…obama literally has a logo for EVERYTHING (except perhaps Uni Watch)

lets hope he don’t steal your face right off your head

• Joe M | February 8, 2008 at 10:25 am |

Just so Paul and everyone else here knows, the Hello Kitty Darth Vader is a Photoshop.

The person in question did indeed make a white Darth Vader outfit. It’s from some alternate Star Wars Universe story where Vader doesn’t die at the end of Return of the Jedi. And no, I have not read it, my brother, who a much bigger Star Wars fan than I, told me about it.

• Breezy | February 8, 2008 at 10:28 am |

[quote comment=”221187″][quote comment=”221153″]More pink uniforms this weekend: Yale Women’s Hockey.[/quote]

It just struck me – the goaltender (#35) has the Yale “Y” as the design on her pads. Nice touch.[/quote]

Nice touch indeed: http://yalebulldogs....

• Steve Flack | February 8, 2008 at 10:33 am |

Love the photo of Foxx with the batboys. Is it possible to purchase a copy of it from somewhere? I’d love to get it for my dad to add to his “museum”.

-Steve!

• KT | February 8, 2008 at 10:36 am |

MLS got into the “scudetto” thing a couple of years back. Now the rule is this:

Last year’s champion wears a small patch on their shirts for the following season (visible, but not in detail, here on the Galaxy’s 2006 shirt as they were the first to display it). Then the FOLLOWING season, they add the star over the badge on the other side of the shirt.

Houston will wear the shield for the second straight year this year, because they have won MLS Cup back to back. This year, though, they’ll add the star for their 2006 title and NEXT year they’ll have two stars for 2006-2007 titles and the scudetto comes off (unless they three-peat, obviously).

Though Houston moved from San Jose, they don’t get to claim the two titles the Earthquakes won (2001 and 2003) and reference them with stars on their shirts because the league left the colors and history and records behind for the new San Jose team that starts up again this season. The “new” San Jose team has two stars over its badge on its 2008 jerseys.

• GR | February 8, 2008 at 10:41 am |

More of the Gwinnett Gladiators going pink…some pictures of their pink ice:

• GR | February 8, 2008 at 10:42 am |

Where did my link go? I used the link button. Oh well…here’s another try…pink ice for Gwinnett Gladiators:

• Jet | February 8, 2008 at 10:45 am |

That Ohio U. hockey uni is VILE.

-Jet

• Mike | February 8, 2008 at 10:53 am |

allowed to wear the “scudetto” patch on the
    is outlined in gold with the green,white and

And Italy’s national team redesigned its crest to reflect its 4th World Cup – you can see the new and old crests here.[/quote]

Every team that has won the Champions League has that patch on their jerseys with the number of times that they have wone it. Like ManUre has 2, Chelsea and Arsenal don’t have one but the Mighty Reds have 5.

• Joe from WV | February 8, 2008 at 11:00 am |

As an Athens barcrawler, I can understand why OU is trying to streamline all of its athletic programs under one universal set of logos but that hockey non-sweater looks like total ass.

• Steve-O | February 8, 2008 at 11:02 am |

The real reason Mitt Romney lost the Republican Nomination …

He couldn’t tell the difference between a Baseball Mitt and a Baseball Glove

• Joey Guns | February 8, 2008 at 11:10 am |

Here’s the newest SI cover. Tyree made the cover!

• LI Phil | February 8, 2008 at 11:15 am |

[quote comment=”221204″]Here’s the newest SI cover.

Tyree made the cover!

speaking of “the catch”…

local radio stations here in NY are trying to come up with the perfect catch-phrase (if you’ll pardon my pun) for the pass & grab…nothing great so far, but the best two (imho) are

catch-42 and the hail manning

• Fez Whatley | February 8, 2008 at 11:23 am |

MAF not in sport gold will be like seeing Michael Jordan with hair on his head.

• ScottyJ in WV | February 8, 2008 at 11:24 am |

Majestic may move their manufacturing facility.

• Shaftman | February 8, 2008 at 11:28 am |

[quote comment=”221205″][quote comment=”221204″]Here’s the newest SI cover.

Tyree made the cover!

speaking of “the catch”…

catch-42 and the hail manning

if anyone is interested, there could be some decent bank if you can come up with the phrase that comes to symbolize that play…if you copyright it of course[/quote]

I was listening to that windbag as well. I was listening at 3pm and he was doing that whole thing. Later (at about 6pm) I turned on the radio and he was still doing it. Slow news day.

• Ronnie Poore | February 8, 2008 at 11:34 am |

I miss those days.[/quote]

• Ronnie Poore | February 8, 2008 at 11:34 am |

I miss those days.[/quote]

• Kenny | February 8, 2008 at 11:35 am |

Shit he probably knew what Bears fans were going to do when they saw him play

• lwiedy | February 8, 2008 at 11:39 am |

[quote comment=”221208″]Majestic may move their manufacturing facility.[/quote]

• Chris ATL | February 8, 2008 at 11:41 am |

• Kevin M. | February 8, 2008 at 11:58 am |

[quote comment=”221216″]PDF file of The Gwinnett Gladiators Pink in the Rink promotion as seen is the 5th anniversary logo and the pink jerseys of a team name Thunder (can’t make out which one)[/quote]

Looks like its the Stockton Thunder.

• MPowers1634 | February 8, 2008 at 12:07 pm |

[quote comment=”221213″][quote comment=”221148″]At least we know the UCLA guy wasn’t puking because of Oregon’s jersey- that’s when they actually looked decent.

I miss those days.[/quote]

at least he didn’t wet his pants like his team mates! check the photo again and look at #’s 52 and 59.[/quote]

Cade McNown had just returned to 1998 in his time machine. When asked by #96 What the future would hold for Oregon football, his response was quite profound!

Shit he probably knew what Bears fans were going to do when they saw him play

Whether it is urban legend or not is open to interpretation. Story has it that the referee was actually clairvoyant and at that exact moment he had a vision concerning the future of both schools. He was overheard explaining this vision to the players surrounding him stating “In the Future, the warriors of Eugene will don armor of diamond and headgear resembling both tennis balls and human reverse peristalsis.” #96 could not comprehend. He then mentioned to McNown and his lineman that they would not be spared such indignities when their standards will be adorned with the letter C in a Golden hue commemorating past victories. The two lineman then burst out laughing so hard that they peed themselves. This was all too much for McNown to handle causing him to vomit on the field. The referee once turned to the Oregon defender and simply said, “That’s it, son”!

• James Craven | February 8, 2008 at 12:12 pm |

“Interesting. Give good historical on Majestic although “In 1982, Majestic pioneered the batting practice jersey, a shirt worn only for pre-game warm-ups” is incorrect. Wilson was making BP’s for the Angels in 1979.”[/quote]

• James Craven | February 8, 2008 at 12:17 pm |

[quote comment=”221167″][quote comment=”221160″]“In soccer, teams will add a star to the jersey representing a championship, either the world cup or league. For teams that have won many championships each star may represent ten championships.”[/quote]

“Or perhaps a gold ‘C’?”[/quote]

Yeah, with an American Flag sticker on the back along with a green dot meaning that he’s the quarterback and has radio communications with the coaching staff, mayhaps?

I call shenanigans, mullarkey and blarney on the stcikers and gold “C” for today. No Mas as Roberto Duran Duran once said.

• LI Phil | February 8, 2008 at 12:19 pm |

[quote comment=”221227″]Give credit to the REAL PIONEERS of the BP jersey: the 1977 Philadelphia Phillies! They were also made by Wilson at thatv time IIRC. Now, every team uses them for BP and spring training with the exception of the Evil Empire of Fat George III.[/quote]

james,

lose the anger and get your facts straight

the spankees DO wear the ST/BP jerseys, just like the rest of the league

• Robb | February 8, 2008 at 12:19 pm |

[quote comment=”221214″][quote comment=”221154″]Cade McNown had just returned to 1998 in his time machine. When asked by #96 What the future would hold for Oregon football, his response was quite profounsd![/quote]

Shit he probably knew what Bears fans were going to do when they saw him play[/quote]

At least he took his mouth piece out, that would’ve been gross

• James Craven | February 8, 2008 at 12:21 pm |

GREY IS NOT AN OFFICIAL COLOR AT OHIO UNIVERSITY!

NEITHER IS BLACK!

That new uni BBSS at once.

See “Chris Creamer Boards” for an explaination of BBSS at once means.

• James Craven | February 8, 2008 at 12:22 pm |

And Phil, they do wear the pinstripes for home exhibition games in Tampa IIRC.

• LI Phil | February 8, 2008 at 12:24 pm |

[quote comment=”221232″]GREY IS NOT AN OFFICIAL COLOR AT OHIO UNIVERSITY!

NEITHER IS BLACK!

That new uni BBSS at once.

See “Chris Creamer Boards” for an explaination of BBSS at once means.[/quote]

aren’t you banned @ cc james?

• James Craven | February 8, 2008 at 12:26 pm |

BREAKING NEWS: John Brady sacked as LSU Men’s basketball coach.

• Tim Abel | February 8, 2008 at 12:29 pm |

probably better to leave the hockey in ohio to the #1 school in the country…

• ewcorpuz | February 8, 2008 at 12:36 pm |

Or perhaps a gold C?[/quote]

Don’t sell UCLA short…the C is for 100 championships, not 10.

• Andrew | February 8, 2008 at 12:40 pm |

I think it should be pointed out that hockey at OU is not a varsity sport, as far as I can remember. It’s bigger than most club sports, but it’s not a full university sport. So, call it an ugly uniform, but don’t blame my alma mater for it. There’s enough trouble over there without that.

• Andrew | February 8, 2008 at 12:42 pm |

Also:
    Speaking of OU, pink uniforms.

• C.N. | February 8, 2008 at 12:43 pm |

[quote comment=”221233″]And Phil, they do wear the pinstripes for home exhibition games in Tampa IIRC.[/quote]

Well, they’re not the only team to do this. I;m not about to compile a comprehensive list or go hunting for pictures, but I know the Cardinals, Cubs, Mets, Twins, Tigers and White Sox have all worn regular season unis in spring games in the past couple of years or so, at least part-time.

• C.N. | February 8, 2008 at 12:44 pm |

• Evan G. | February 8, 2008 at 12:48 pm |

[quote comment=”221165″]You think that Hello Kitty Darth Vader is bad… check out what was in the news today[/quote]
    haha another UF student, I just read that article and am actually sitting in Marston Library reading this

• Mardi | February 8, 2008 at 12:49 pm |

My friend plays for the Pitt Panthers womens basketball team and she told me that on sun the 17th they are having Pink the Pete. the players will be wearing pink jerseys and fan attending the game will wear pink also. There is an ad on the home page.

• Bradley | February 8, 2008 at 12:59 pm |

New WVU basketball jerseys:

• Breezy | February 8, 2008 at 1:01 pm |

[quote comment=”221239″]Also:
    Speaking of OU, pink uniforms.
    Anyway, that’s also a link to the athletics site, where one can see that hockey isn’t part of this.[/quote]

I thought #2 looked familier:

• Mike D | February 8, 2008 at 1:02 pm |

• Al | February 8, 2008 at 1:03 pm |

[/quote]

Athletes’ bodies are different for the different disciplines. The sprinters have gigantic legs and are good for about 20 seconds’ worth of burst, but are also cunning enough to “know when to go” at the end.

The time trialists (team or individual pursuit) have endurance, good speed, and good bike control to be that close to your teammate in the draft.

Road racers (especially climbers) have great endurance, VO2, and can generate power for six hours at a time and recover quickly (sometimes with help, sometimes without). It’s the “recover quickly” thing which has become the contentious issue around performance-enhancing drugs.

There are other ICU disciplines such as Cyclo-Cross (great balance and power for having to sometimes dismount the bike and run part of the course), Cyclo-ball (literally playing soccer with a very thin bike that you pop wheelies on to propel the very light ball), and the Keirin (a Japanese sprint race on which there is pari-mutuel betting everywhere except the Olympics).

• MPowers1634 | February 8, 2008 at 1:03 pm |

[quote comment=”221237″][quote comment=”221167″][quote comment=”221160″]In soccer, teams will add a star to the jersey representing a championship, either the world cup or league. For teams that have won many championships each star may represent 10 championships[/quote]

Or perhaps a gold C?[/quote]

Don’t sell UCLA short…the C is for 100 championships, not 10.[/quote]

Touche!

• Al | February 8, 2008 at 1:07 pm |

[quote comment=”221159″]

They try, but since they are “throw-together” teams, the tactics are not as good; breakaways can often lead to the “winning move” early on. This can also happen in the World Championship road race. These are, I think, the only two races on the calendar where national teams are pitted against each other.

Oh, and another thing (more uni-related). The USA cycling jerseys for the Olympics have often been horrendous explosions of stars, bars, and colors. But for ICU pro races, they’re still understated.

• Jeff | February 8, 2008 at 1:07 pm |

[quote comment=”221178″]WTF

If they were ever to wear these, I think I might cry.[/quote]

Maybe that jersey is like the optical illusion where you stare at it for 30 seconds and then look at a white wall and it looks normal, like this America flag on this page:

• Mike | February 8, 2008 at 1:13 pm |

Linky

• Al | February 8, 2008 at 1:15 pm |

[quote comment=”221200″][quote comment=”221184″][quote comment=”221173″]In the Italian Serie A soccer league,the current champion-this year it is Inter Milan-is
    allowed to wear the “scudetto” patch on the
    is outlined in gold with the green,white and

“It’s only on loan, it’s only on loan. In the old Soviet Union, it’s coming back home!”[/quote]

I’d like to see that for any competition. DC United, for example, should have one star when it plays in the Concacaf Champions Cup/League since it was the Interamerican champions in 1998. They should have four stars in MLS play, one in US Open Cup play.

• Al | February 8, 2008 at 1:20 pm |

[quote comment=”221249″]I always thought the defending Super Bowl champions should wear a silver NFL logo instead of the regular red, white, and blue logo.[/quote]

That would actually be neat (a la the opening credits of America’s Game on NFL Network..

Also, for the Super Bowl only, the NFL Equip logo changes to red for the AFC team, blue for the NFC. Pro Bowl: same thing. And, hey, why not interconference while we’re at it?

• ryan c #40 | February 8, 2008 at 1:21 pm |

…geez! everyone is getting into the act! i liked when the target nascar was all pink and you couldnt see the sponsors (3 seasons ago i think). just looked cool for one race (at charlotte), there was one car that just looked plain.

i’ll be at the pete tonight.

you dont by chance have any friends that play pitt womens volleyball do you *smiling*… hee hee

• Robin | February 8, 2008 at 1:26 pm |

Only two seasons after a trip to the Final Four. This what-have-you-done-for-me-lately crap has gotten out of hand. Unless there’s some other reason for his dismissal?[/quote]

• Original Jim | February 8, 2008 at 1:29 pm |

NEITHER IS BLACK!

That new uni BBSS at once.

See “Chris Creamer Boards” for an explaination of BBSS at once means.[/quote]

aren’t you banned @ cc james?[/quote]

• LI Phil | February 8, 2008 at 1:32 pm |

[quote comment=”221262″][quote comment=”221234″][quote comment=”221232″]GREY IS NOT AN OFFICIAL COLOR AT OHIO UNIVERSITY!

NEITHER IS BLACK!

That new uni BBSS at once.

See “Chris Creamer Boards” for an explaination of BBSS at once means.[/quote]

aren’t you banned @ cc james?[/quote]

Yes…banned for constantly trying to prove his superiority with bad catch phrases, pretend outrage, condescending remarks and obsessive use of the phrase “BBSS” (bites, blows, sucks and swallows).[/quote]

i thought so

i distinctly remembered posts #71 & 72 from last year

• KT | February 8, 2008 at 1:37 pm |

Look what I found in the office of a construction site I visited this morning.

• Ryan Cousineau | February 8, 2008 at 1:39 pm |

Bryan’s going to kick himself for missing this one, but I’m virtually certain the “ST” championship is a track cycling event.

Track cycling, because you have 9 different world championship disciplines, produces lots of champions.

• Shane | February 8, 2008 at 1:42 pm |

Man, what’s wrong with a little pink now and then?

That said, I really dig this old Palermo shirt.

• Tom | February 8, 2008 at 1:43 pm |

I like the Ohio hockey unis. They’re MUCH better than my school’s:
    Minnesota State, Mankato

• al | February 8, 2008 at 1:46 pm |

[quote comment=”221205″][quote comment=”221204″]Here’s the newest SI cover.

Tyree made the cover!

speaking of “the catch”…

catch-42 and the hail manning

i am missing something … why 42?

as for names, i like “the great escape”. the names let you remeber the play … the catch (dwight clark), music city miracle (titans) and the imaculate reception (franco) let you know the star, and in this case, i will remember eli avoiding the sack more than tyree’s catch.

the great escape!

• LI Phil | February 8, 2008 at 1:47 pm |

[quote comment=”221264″]Look what I found in the office of a construction site I visited this morning.[/quote]

that’s sweet kenn

btw…i loved what you did with your numerology post yesterday

• LI Phil | February 8, 2008 at 1:54 pm |

[quote]i am missing something … why 42?

the great escape![/quote]

42=super bowl XLII

as far as the great esacpe, i do like it, but it only tells 1/2 of the story…it doesn’t reference the catch, which was amazing

• Jerico | February 8, 2008 at 2:02 pm |

Don Cherry’s greatest hits, according to the blog Going Five Hole.

• Joe Drennan | February 8, 2008 at 2:07 pm |

Equipment makers have been doing this for a while. Brian’s does it the most, but more of the other makers are following suit. One of the Ohio State University men’s hockey goalies had white pads with a big “O” on them as well. Some goalies see this as an extension of showing their persoonality/team pride from the paintings on their masks. I think the simple ones like the “Y” or “O” are pretty cool though.

• Max | February 8, 2008 at 2:14 pm |

In that ebay ad with Larry Doby, is he wearing two different stirrups?

Looks like the one on the left leg has more stripes than the right.

• LL | February 8, 2008 at 2:17 pm |

Brown women’s hockey hops on the pink bandwagon:
    …It’s always a little comical when Brown makes apparel or uniforms in any color other than brown.

• ScottyJ in WV | February 8, 2008 at 2:17 pm |

[quote comment=”221247″]New WVU basketball jerseys:

Yeah, I saw those last night.

Yet another entry into the “fugly” category…..

• LI Phil | February 8, 2008 at 2:19 pm |

it’s really annoying how slovenia’s shield detracts from all the pretty logos

• al | February 8, 2008 at 2:20 pm |

I know it has been said before, but this sure could be confusing … http://store.nba.com...

• joe | February 8, 2008 at 2:32 pm |

[quote comment=”221268″][quote comment=”221205″][quote comment=”221204″]Here’s the newest SI cover.

Tyree made the cover!

speaking of “the catch”…

catch-42 and the hail manning

i am missing something … why 42?

the great escape![/quote]

it was superbowl 42

• todd krevanchi | February 8, 2008 at 2:50 pm |

[quote comment=”221267″]I like the Ohio hockey unis. They’re MUCH better than my school’s:
    Minnesota State, Mankato[/quote]

my goodness!

purple doesnt bother me at all…

but when you take a color, any color, and make your mascot that color, when said mascot has no business being that color, that gets on my nerves.

i mean, a purple bull?
    i can justify the red “chicago bull” in the fact that historically in bull fighting red is widespread (the blood, in the matador’s uni, as well as the traditional color of the cape).
    but a purple bull?

• C.N. | February 8, 2008 at 2:54 pm |

Sorry to get off uni topic, but this has been a loooooong time coming. Speaking as an LSU alumnus, Brady has a history of running off solidly talented bball players. The team has had some luck in recruiting over the years leading up to the final four appearance, but I don’t credit the success to John Brady. It was time for a change.[/quote]

Well, speaking as a college b-ball fan, LSU fan and former resident of the great state of Louisiana, I think that if you reach the pinnacle of your profession (which, for most programs anyway, is the Final Four), that should buy you a few years. Especially at a school like LSU, a football school where, aside from the Pistol Pete and Shaq eras, basketball success has been spotty at best.

• LI Phil | February 8, 2008 at 2:54 pm |

[quote comment=”221286″]purple doesnt bother me at all…
    at least it doesnt to the extent that it seems to bother everyone else on the board (i know its not really everyone else, but ive never come across so many people who hated one color in my life)[/quote]

todd,

today i’m proudly wearing a plum shirt and tie…some might even say it is purple…if anyone actually cares, i’ll take a pic and post it…

/not EVERYONE hates purple ;)

• Richard Bruns | February 8, 2008 at 2:55 pm |

• Richard Bruns | February 8, 2008 at 2:57 pm |

[quote comment=”221290″]In the English Premier League, all teams wear the league’s patch on their sleeve. But the past season’s champion, currently Manchester United, wears the same patch except with a gold background. Arsenal will hopefully have that gold background patch next season.[/quote]

Sorry to quote myself, their are two links in that post, I just accidentally ran them together.

All teams but Man Utd wear http://www.sportysho...

Man Utd wears http://www.sportysho...

• tmac3217 | February 8, 2008 at 3:02 pm |

MSU Mankato changed their jerseys this year. Can’t say that I like these any better…

Home & Away

My problem is that there is too much black and not enough gold on the jerseys. The school colors are purple and gold. There should be more gold than just the logo. And at least the road jerseys aren’t black any more…

• TOG | February 8, 2008 at 3:06 pm |

Patrick Lalime vs. Oilers Wed Night. Thick black stripes #1

Nikolai Khabibulin v. Flames Thu Night. Thick black stripes #2

Weird.

• lwiedy | February 8, 2008 at 3:14 pm |

I was more taking issue with the “1982” claim by Majestic. You are correct about the Phils, but 1977? Any photo evidence matching the jersey with that year? Best I could tell in 1979 the Phils, Braves, Padres and Angels had them.

• James Craven | February 8, 2008 at 3:16 pm |

[quote comment=”221278″][quote comment=”221247″]New WVU basketball jerseys:

“Yeah, I saw those last night.

“Yet another entry into the ‘fugly’ category.”[/quote]

Or the “Jox in Frox” department.

• James Craven | February 8, 2008 at 3:21 pm |

[quote comment=”221282″]“It was Super Bowl XLII.”[/quote]

Does anyone realize that XLII is the answer to EVERYTHING?

• Rick White in Cedar Park, TX | February 8, 2008 at 3:29 pm |

[quote comment=”221297″][quote comment=”221282″]“It was Super Bowl XLII.”[/quote]

Does anyone realize that XLII is the answer to EVERYTHING?[/quote]

Yes … the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

And … the question is, of course, what is 9X6.

• James Craven | February 8, 2008 at 3:31 pm |

Fifty-four.

• MPowers1634 | February 8, 2008 at 3:32 pm |

[quote comment=”221289″][quote comment=”221286″]purple doesnt bother me at all…

todd,

/not EVERYONE hates purple ;)[/quote]

No, some of us are quite fond of the color associated with royalty. So much so that, every house within my family is purple as well as the shirt and tie that I wore when I got married. I too can post pics! Although, I know it will seriously upset the masses!

• LI Phil | February 8, 2008 at 3:35 pm |

Does anyone realize that XLII is the answer to EVERYTHING?[/quote]

except “name the last super bowl the eagles won”

;)

• TOG | February 8, 2008 at 4:08 pm |

Charlie Burns (ex NHL’er) and Larry Doby look like they went to the same helmet designer in the late 1950’s. Cool stuff.

Charlie’s helmet that he wore as early as 1958…love that North Star identity (those were the days)…

Larry Doby from it looks like 1956 White Sox game…

Here’s a great shot of Charlie Burns playing for the Dunlop team versus the Soviet Union team in 1958…notice the different color goalie jersey versus the other player…a page out of soccer, maybe???

• Mike Edgerly | February 8, 2008 at 4:11 pm |

[quote comment=”221295″][quote comment=”221227″][quote comment=”221215″][quote comment=”221208″]“Majestic may move their manufacturing facility.”[/quote]

In any case, keep the anger. The big fat jerk is about to get a stadium named after him. The already pretentious “Legends Field” is about to be renamed for you know who. With the name of every other ballpark in the country built in the last 20 years being sold off, why not this one? The local government is right now crying poverty with property tax cuts and they ignore an instant cash cow. Spare me all of the great examples of what an icon in the community (Tampa) he is. So are a lot of other people and most never acted like a boorish lout the other half of the time. Its great that people benefit from his generosity but much is done to combat very negative publicity.[/quote]
    Um…it gets worse….not only does Hillsborough County want to re-name Legends Field for him but are you ready for George Steinbrenner High School?

• Joe Drennan | February 8, 2008 at 4:11 pm |

[quote comment=”221294″]Reebok has quality control issues on the Blackhawks road goalies uniforms (note the black sleeve stripes) compared to the Hawks offensive and defensive players? WTF?

Patrick Lalime vs. Oilers Wed Night. Thick black stripes #1

Nikolai Khabibulin v. Flames Thu Night. Thick black stripes #2

Weird.[/quote]
    I think this has to do more with the cut of the jersey. Goalies often times wear what’s appropriatly called a goalie cut which has much larger sied arms that are also shorter, allowing room for the pads and movement, but not lone enough to get all caught up in their gloves. I think what happens is the manufacter simply cuts the seleves to proportion, not thinking about how they’ll look against the rest of the team. I call this carelessness.

• Joey Guns | February 8, 2008 at 4:16 pm |

Via Deadspin, Shaq’s jersey is on the Suns website already:

The tagline on Deadspin was “A reader sent us this mock page from the Phoenix Suns’ Web site, encouraging fans to buy the jersey Shaq will be wearing for the team for the next couple of years. That sounds about right.”

• Kerry P | February 8, 2008 at 4:17 pm |

[quote comment=”221288″][quote comment=”221260″][quote comment=”221241″][quote comment=”221235″]BREAKING NEWS: John Brady sacked as LSU Men’s basketball coach.[/quote]

This just goes to prove again that college athletics is so far from its original intention, and is now nothing but a multibillion-dollar business. Coaches shouldn’t be fired so soon after a Final Four trip unless they’ve done something illegal or otherwise immoral. Period.[/quote]
    Speaking as an LSU alumnus and local Baton Rouge area resident, Brady should have been fired 2 years ago. He was on the way out before his team made the miracle run to the Final 4. That was actually one of the worst things that could have happenned to the program. Just because you have 1 good stretch of 4 games – that’s right, it only takes 4 consecutive wins to get to the Final 4 – doesn’t give you a “Get out of Jail Free” card for the next 3 or 4 seasons. He has a LOSING SEC record for his tenure.

This program has seen only 13 players graduate in his 10+ seasons as coach. And 40 other players have LEFT the program prematurely – only 4 of those 40 went to the NBA early. He rubs people the wrong way, fans & players don’t like him, it was past time for him to go.

PLUS, he allowed Nike to impose the damn SYSTEM OF DRESS unis on the team.

• TOG | February 8, 2008 at 4:25 pm |

Patrick Lalime vs. Oilers Wed Night. Thick black stripes #1

Nikolai Khabibulin v. Flames Thu Night. Thick black stripes #2

Weird.

• Kenny | February 8, 2008 at 4:35 pm |

[quote comment=”221272″][quote]i am missing something … why 42?

the great escape![/quote]

42=super bowl XLII

that’s the problem with coming up for a phrase for this play…it’s really TWO awesome plays rolled into one[/quote]

HGH = Heave, Grab, and Hold (in your face Rodney Harrison)

• Kenny | February 8, 2008 at 4:37 pm |

[quote comment=”221289″][quote comment=”221286″]purple doesnt bother me at all…

todd,

/not EVERYONE hates purple ;)[/quote]

Purple polo trapped under a black fleece

• Kate | February 8, 2008 at 4:40 pm |

[quote comment=”221254″]While mentioned earlier, here is another article which explains more about why you will be seeing the “Angry Pirate” in Pittsburgh less this coming year:

Linky [/quote]

Why I bought this.

• TOG | February 8, 2008 at 4:43 pm |

Since we’re hovering around the topic of helmets…I thought I’d track down a Ted Green “helmethead” special. Yipes.

“Terrible” Teddy Green, who almost died after a Wayne Maki two hander over the head. Luckily, Ted survived, but his slasher, Wayne Maki, of all things died of brain cancer…irony of ironies…

Gosh as my wife says, I am just full of useless bullshit…

• TOG | February 8, 2008 at 4:57 pm |

• Benjamin Bonnet | February 8, 2008 at 5:10 pm |

• Mike D | February 8, 2008 at 5:18 pm |

• LI Phil | February 8, 2008 at 5:20 pm |

we discussed that here…starting with post #19 and there are several replies

hope that helps

• LI Phil | February 8, 2008 at 5:20 pm |

we discussed that here…starting with post #19 and there are several replies

hope that helps[/quote]

forgot to close the taggers

• LI Phil | February 8, 2008 at 5:25 pm |
  • Lee | February 8, 2008 at 5:37 pm |

allowed to wear the “scudetto” patch on the
    is outlined in gold with the green,white and

no they dont, but thanks for playing.

only clubs that have won it 5 times have that patch. liverpool, real, and milan. everyone else has a similar but different patch.

• LI Phil | February 8, 2008 at 5:45 pm |

it’s good to be the king:

osi gettin lei’d

• Max | February 8, 2008 at 6:37 pm |

we discussed that here…starting with post #19 and there are several replies

hope that helps[/quote]

I don’t think that information is correct.

• KT | February 8, 2008 at 6:46 pm |

[quote comment=”221332″]Here are the jerseys Manchester United will be wearing this weekend to honor the 1958 team that was involved in the Munich air disaster.[/quote]

Best part? They’re not going to sell the jerseys, either. That’s righteous.

ManU may be an Evil Empire to some, but they’re doing the right thing with that.

• KT | February 8, 2008 at 6:48 pm |

[quote comment=”221321″]Photographers were allowed to step on the ice and take pictures in the NHL? Are you fuckin’ kidding me? So cool.

They used to be able to get right up near the batter’s box, too.

I would imagine that’s how they got this shot, as it’s so close.

• R.Cox | February 8, 2008 at 6:49 pm |

I think I found what ST is for.

Apparently it means Stayer Racing. The ST German jersey had a guys name on the image, and this is what I found when I searched for it

Photo here

Kinda insane looking. I’m guessing it’s like a forced endurance racing in a velodrome – Bikes used there don’t have fly wheels, so the when that back wheel moves, your pedals move too. The Motorcycle rider at the bottom looks like an extra from Mad Max imho.

Addt’l Photo here from here

• TOG | February 8, 2008 at 6:53 pm |

Best part? They’re not going to sell the jerseys, either. That’s righteous.

Not to be politically incorrect but why honor something that happened 50 years ago? I mean fine nice PR clip but to wear jerseys commemorating a plane crash is macabe…

it’s sports for chrissakes…let it breath.

• KT | February 8, 2008 at 7:08 pm |

[quote comment=”221364″]

it’s sports for chrissakes…let it breath.[/quote]

The jerseys aren’t commemorating the crash.

They’re honoring the team that came back from the ashes, survived the worst disaster in the history of team sports (one that cost them eight players and three staff members) and came back to play for the FA Cup title that year (though they finished ninth in the league). Ten years later, they won the European Cup.

There is no “American” equivalent (thank God). To bumper sticker it to “Commemorating a plane crash” is a very Ameri-centric point of view. It’s not politically incorrect. It’s just that you kinda had to be there or have studied it to grasp the concept.

I mean, it’s basically “We Are Marshall,” only with the New York Yankees. So I guess there is an American equivalent, sorta.

To be honest (and, like you, not to be politically incorrect), it’s a fvck of a lot bigger than Sean Taylor tributes that go on and on and on.

(ducks)

• john in DC | February 8, 2008 at 7:10 pm |

[quote comment=”221313″]Reebok has quality control issues on the Blackhawks road goalies uniforms (note the black sleeve stripes) compared to the Hawks offensive and defensive players? WTF?

Patrick Lalime vs. Oilers Wed Night. Thick black stripes #1

Nikolai Khabibulin v. Flames Thu Night. Thick black stripes #2

Weird.

I thought the same at first but the red stripes are the width as the other Hawks players so it’s less carelessness and looks like a knitting inconsistency which is a more glaring fuck-up.[/quote]

I think it may have something to do with the size of the sleeves of the goalie-cut jersey. It may be done to make the stripes look “normal” when seen apart from the rest of the team.

• James Craven | February 8, 2008 at 8:00 pm |

Original Jim:

It wasn’t “Bites, Blows, Sucks and Swallows.” It was “Bites, Blows, Stinks and Sucks.”

Next time you want to tell a story, get your facts straight.

• TOG | February 8, 2008 at 8:13 pm |

It has to do with Reebok fucking up.

• TOG | February 8, 2008 at 8:13 pm |

It has all to do with Reebok fucking up.

• Marcus Hall | February 8, 2008 at 8:13 pm |

[quote comment=”221336″]holy christ[/quote]

PLEASE warn us before posting such sensory overload like this LOL

• TOG | February 8, 2008 at 8:17 pm |

• LI Phil | February 8, 2008 at 8:41 pm |

[quote comment=”221398″]It’s fitting and proper that soccer fans pause and remember and pay homage to those who were lost and to those who endured.

Like I said, a moment of silence, a commemorative patch even an on the field tribute…but one time jersey from an “accident” that happened 50 years ago…OVERBLOWN.[/quote]

i don’t know all that much about the way “tributes” are done in footy, but is this the only remembrance (on field) they’ve had in the past 50 years? if so, then i’d say it’s prolly appropriate…im sure most of those watching the event weren’t even BORN when it happened…hell, they’re not even trying to make a quick buck mark off the tragedy by selling shirts

but what the hell do i know?

• KT | February 8, 2008 at 9:21 pm |

So you get to be the arbiter now?

Okay.

You simply have no idea what you’re talking about.

• LI Phil | February 8, 2008 at 9:24 pm |

meet the new mariner

• Original Jim | February 8, 2008 at 10:13 pm |

[quote comment=”221391″]Original Jim:

Next time you want to tell a story, get your facts straight.[/quote]

Whatever. You used it to death, and everyone was sick of it. Your constant use of it just showed how immature you really are.

• Lee | February 8, 2008 at 10:27 pm |

because i mean american sports never do one off jerseys for any thing.

so, the problems is doing something to honor the memories of the players? yeah, heaven forbid that.

• James Craven | February 8, 2008 at 10:32 pm |

[quote comment=”221415″]“Meet the new Mariner.”[/quote]

Like Senor Tejada in Houston to be soon nicknamed “Five-for-One” like Von Hayes and have a really bad season.

• James Craven | February 8, 2008 at 10:35 pm |

[quote comment=”221397″][quote comment=”221336″]“Holy Christ!”[/quote]

“PLEASE warn us before posting such sensory overload like this. LOL”[/quote]

I never thought somebody would really fuck up the RBK Edge, but that had me ROTFLMMFAO!

• =bg= | February 8, 2008 at 10:47 pm |

[quote comment=”221358″][quote comment=”221333″][quote comment=”221329″]There is a State Farm Insurance commercial with a bunch of offensive linemen. One of the shots is Anthony Munoz. In the shot, Munoz has 69 written above his left earhole. This is particularly odd, since he wore 78. I couldn’t fine the commercial online and I don’t know how to do a screen grab, but I found this photo where you can kind of see it. Anyone out there able to get a screen grab of it? http://artfiles.art....

we discussed that here…starting with post #19 and there are several replies

hope that helps[/quote]

I don’t think that information is correct.

It should have been #69 for Tim Krumrie who broke his leg in the Super Bowl vs. the 49ers.[/quote]

That’s exactly what is was for- I was in Cinti @ the time and recall the in-depth covg of Krumrie’s injury..it was almost Theismann-like.

• =bg= | February 8, 2008 at 10:49 pm |

uh..why was that post hyperlinked?

• LI Phil | February 8, 2008 at 10:55 pm |

[quote comment=”221443″]uh..why was that post hyperlinked?[/quote]

sorry =bg= … that was my bad

i corrected it in the pervious post (see posts 128 & 129)…heaven forbid we had an EDIT button on here

whoever posted after me didn’t see the corrected post

/again, my bad

• LI Phil | February 8, 2008 at 10:55 pm |

[quote comment=”221446″][quote comment=”221443″]uh..why was that post hyperlinked?[/quote]

sorry =bg= … that was my bad

whoever posted after me didn’t see the corrected post

/again, my bad[/quote]

**PREVIOUS post

/where’s that EDIT button? ;)

• Bryan Redemske | February 8, 2008 at 11:53 pm |

[quote comment=”221447″]

/where’s that EDIT button? ;)[/quote]

I see it! I see it!

So quit yer bitchin.

• klay | February 9, 2008 at 12:37 am |

heres a name for tyree’s catch… unbELIevable

• Craig Costello | February 9, 2008 at 5:05 am |

The Women’s All-Star Game is due to take place in England this weekend.

Here are some photos of the kits.

Apologies for the poor quality, but I had to use my camera phone.

• Peter | February 9, 2008 at 8:47 am |

The 1996 Summer Olympics were the first Olympic Games in which pro cyclists were allowed to compete. The victor, Pascal Richard, then invented his own jersey to commemorate his victory. Here’s his 1998 and 1999 designs.

The 2000 Olympic road champion, German pro Jan Ullrich, as far as I can tell never integrated any elements of his Olympic gold medal reign into his jerseys.

The 2004 Olympic road champion, Italian pro Paolo Bettini, also the world champion in 2006 and 2007 went a different route, integrating gold (seen here in fall, 2006) into his kit. Wow.

I’m pretty sure that the Olympics, being fiercely protective of their image, “aksed” Pascal Richard to remove the rings from his jersey in 1999 and banned future gold medalists from utilizing that design element.