Hoop Skirts

bride1860s.jpg

I’ve previously included several mentions of the Yeshiva University Lady Macs, many members of which follow Orthodox Jewish modesty laws by wearing skirts on the basketball court. But Jim Haslam recently brought my attention to a high school team that’s taken this concept a bit further.

The school in question is Beth Chana Academy, a private Orthodox school in Orange, Connecticut. Not only do they wear skirts (sometimes floor-length, sometimes knee-length with leggings or pants), but the team is actually called the Skirts — an admirably literal uni-based nickname that’s more accurate than, say, White Sox. (It’s worth noting that skirt is also old-school slang for “woman,” in the same league as broad or twist or tomato, but I suspect the Beth Chana folks didn’t think about that when choosing the name.)

Interestingly, one of the Skirts has jazzed up her look with striped socks. She looks like she knows how to handle the ball and even has more star presence than the other gals when walking off the court. Further evidence (as if any were needed) that striped hosiery correlates with — and maybe even confers — athletic excellence.

Additional info about the Skirts, including an audio report, is available here.

Party Reminder: Remember, Groundhog Day Uni Watch party tomorrow at Sheep Station, at 4:30 p.m.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Reprinted from yesterday’s comments: Here’s Ken Harrelson’s “Hawk” NOB. … Northwestern-area baseball photo specialist Dave Esenazi sent along a great old team portrait. Check out the modified skull and crossbones chest patch! … Vince reports that the dance team for the new Cleveland Gladiators arena franchise was introduced the other day wearing “Kosar”-NOB’d jerseys (Bernie is the team’s prexy). … The Chiefs’ memorial patch for Lamar Hunt is being made a permanent fixture on the team’s jerseys. Among other things, this means the AFL logo, which is part of the patch design, will live on — cool. … Remember that amazing photo site I linked to yesterday? Turns out the photographer is also selling prints of those photos on eBay (with thanks to Jere Smith). … Skip ahead to the 3:30ish point of this video you’ll see Syracuse wearing navy uniforms against UNC in 1975 (good find by Sean Caruana). … Daniel Listoe reports that the 49ers are thinking about a uni overhaul for 2009. … Bit of a controversy involving Japanese swimming attire (courtesy of Jeremy Brahm). … Blake Meyer, who runs the excellent TwinsCards.com site, has a bit of a mystery on his hands involving a photo of Kirby Pucket wearing No. 32 (instead of his usual 34) and is hoping the Uni Watch readership can help come up with an explanation. For full details, look here.

169 comments to Hoop Skirts

• Dane | February 1, 2008 at 8:41 am |

When I read today’s Dilbert, my first thought was this site.

Nah, can’t be right. I hope to make it to Brooklyn tomorrow!

• craig g | February 1, 2008 at 8:41 am |

I remember the in the mid 90’s the 49ers were going to go with a helmet that replaced the interlocking SF with a “49ers” in it’s place. I saw the helmet on espn but they never did go with it. Good thing it looked really dorky.

• Justin | February 1, 2008 at 8:49 am |

Paul, I know swimming’s not a glamour sport, but you have profiled curling. You should do a piece on swimming “uniforms”. Its one of the few sports where the type of uniform worn does relate directly to performance. Striped socks aside of course.

• Joey Guns | February 1, 2008 at 8:50 am |

AOL Fanhouse has an article on the Schutt Ion 4D:

• Robert | February 1, 2008 at 8:52 am |

The article on the Japanese swimming suit controversy lacked photos. Very disappointing, from an academic standpoint, of course.

• Peter Wunsch | February 1, 2008 at 8:53 am |

Paul: Yeshiva

• Don | February 1, 2008 at 8:55 am |

• DWiz9 | February 1, 2008 at 9:02 am |

• DWiz9 | February 1, 2008 at 9:02 am |

• DWiz9 | February 1, 2008 at 9:02 am |

• DWiz9 | February 1, 2008 at 9:02 am |

• Jacob | February 1, 2008 at 9:03 am |

OK (four times)

• LI Phil | February 1, 2008 at 9:04 am |
  • Jeremy Brahm | February 1, 2008 at 9:06 am |

Article in Japanese on the Swimsuits, with pictures

This is safe for work, no nudity.

• Joe H | February 1, 2008 at 9:06 am |

[quote comment=”214777″][quote comment=”214776″]I’m guessing that the Puckett photo is one of those spring training photos where they toss a player a jersey for a few pictures. Someone may have not cropped out the incorrect jersey number.[/quote]

OK (four times)[/quote]

Agreed…look at the stadium in the background…not their home park so this has to be a manufactured photo shoot.

• LI Phil | February 1, 2008 at 9:09 am |

this is mizuno…he wears nike

/damn

• WFY | February 1, 2008 at 9:11 am |

Here, I’ll help with the 49ers redesign:

Dump the drop-shadow and black, but keep the other current colors

keep the numbers where they are now on the shoulders since there aren’t sleeves anymore

bring back the old oval for the helmet, take off the sleeves

bring back the old pants stripe

• LI Phil | February 1, 2008 at 9:13 am |

are all the swimmers on the japanese team actually women?

(look at the one on the far left) :O

another view middle left

• Richard from MA | February 1, 2008 at 9:14 am |

New Renault driver’s suits are out.

No full-body stripes; in fact, they kinda remind me of this, especially Alonso.

• Shaftman | February 1, 2008 at 9:15 am |

[quote comment=”214772″]The Niners’ unis look great except for the shadowed numbers. Fix that and you’re golden, so to speak.

Ever since the Broncos’ tragic redesign, I shudder when I hear of an NFL team announcing a new uni design.[/quote]

What do you mean…most new designs are awesome. [/sarcasm]

• Zippercat | February 1, 2008 at 9:19 am |

[quote comment=”214779″]Article in Japanese on the Swimsuits, with pictures

This is safe for work, no nudity.[/quote]

OK, they can use the suits….as long as the Japanese women swim with bags over their heads!!

• LI Phil | February 1, 2008 at 9:25 am |

tiger in dubai

• Jeremy Brahm | February 1, 2008 at 9:25 am |

The unveiling of the swimsuits was for both the men and women.

• Bret the Jet | February 1, 2008 at 9:26 am |

Home Run Derby has pictures of pitcher Mark Buehrle wearing the Camouflage jersey the White Sox will be wearing on July 4th … as discussed in length this past Monday.

• LI Phil | February 1, 2008 at 9:30 am |

[quote comment=”214800″]The unveiling of the swimsuits was for both the men and women.[/quote]

phew…i thought i spotted both franks and beans…and i can’t read japanese

• Philly William | February 1, 2008 at 9:32 am |

Holy Pink!

• Stuby | February 1, 2008 at 9:36 am |

Getting players’ input on a uni redesign? Might as well just make it a ‘Project Runway’ challenge. They would be equally hideous.

• Frank | February 1, 2008 at 9:37 am |

• diz | February 1, 2008 at 9:40 am |

[quote comment=”214782″]this is mizuno…he wears nike

/damn[/quote]

Wonder if they’re intentionally keeping 29 for Far-Eastern born players only

• dm00n [Doug] | February 1, 2008 at 9:43 am |

[quote comment=”214788″]New Renault driver’s suits are out.

No full-body stripes; in fact, they kinda remind me of this, especially Alonso.[/quote]

Looks the same as last year, with the exception of a wider torso stripe (probably hoping Alonso will bring in a big sponsor to put on it).

• Tony Miller | February 1, 2008 at 9:43 am |

[quote comment=”214771″]Paul: Yeshiva

Also, None of the young women wear the #18, the ultimate Jewish symbol of good luck.[/quote]

• Stuby | February 1, 2008 at 9:44 am |

The Niners did use thinner sleeve stripes in the early 90s, but they would need to rethink the thickness of those pants stripes. BTW, I think Steve Young had just suffered his league leading 107th concussion in that pic.

• todd krevanchi | February 1, 2008 at 9:47 am |

[quote comment=”214768″]AOL Fanhouse has an article on the Schutt Ion 4D:

early in the season this helmet/facemask (and other facemask variations to fit the helmet) came under so much scrutiny and critique on this board.
    i gotta be honest in saying ive liked it from day 1. i think it looks sharp, looks revolutionary (separate from any revolutionary safety measures it brings), and reminds us that as time changes, so does the look of technology.

the egop facemask seen here on one of the liberty hurricane football players
    looks awesome.

• Rich | February 1, 2008 at 9:49 am |

I liked the Skirts/socks pic, but why does #2 look so pissed off?

• dm00n [Doug] | February 1, 2008 at 9:55 am |

Any Canadians get something called ASN?

…The biggest stretch, though, is supplied by FashionTelevision, which examines the story behind NFL uniforms today at 10:30 a.m. on ASN.

• James | February 1, 2008 at 9:56 am |

well, at least none of the Skirts are going to get the ball dribbled through their legs.

• Robert | February 1, 2008 at 9:58 am |

[quote comment=”214811″]The way the 49ers should look.

The way the 49ers should look.

The way the 49ers should look.

The way the 49ers should look.[/quote]

• dm00n [Doug] | February 1, 2008 at 10:00 am |

Umbro shareholders approved the Nike takeover yesterday.

• Richard from MA | February 1, 2008 at 10:00 am |

From #35:
    I liked the Skirts/socks pic, but why does #2 look so pissed off?

Probably because she’s a 15-year-old girl.

• Robert | February 1, 2008 at 10:01 am |

Stripes were too wide, not the pants were too wide. I’m an idiot.

• Sean | February 1, 2008 at 10:03 am |

[quote comment=”214788″]New Renault driver’s suits are out.

This = This

• todd krevanchi | February 1, 2008 at 10:06 am |

• Carl G | February 1, 2008 at 10:07 am |

• Al | February 1, 2008 at 10:09 am |

[quote comment=”214771″]Paul: Yeshiva

They can’t[quote comment=”214815″][quote comment=”214771″]Paul: Yeshiva

Is #18 even legal in college? I thought you could only have 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 as the digits.[/quote]

What he said.

• Matt Lesser | February 1, 2008 at 10:15 am |

Paul –

Yeshiva is spelled wrong.

• dm00n [Doug] | February 1, 2008 at 10:15 am |

Just throwing out a little uniwatch law question on a dreary Friday morning in New Jersey.[/quote]

I think he took them, and I am sure he can sell them.

• AJ Connelly | February 1, 2008 at 10:16 am |

1 million percent off topic, but did we ever get a definite answer on the question of if (and why) DeSean Jackson of Cal wore 2 jerseys? I think I’ve got a little precedent here, I was browsing Getty for images of Ryan Leaf (don’t ask) and found this pic of him during his brief yet memorable stint with the Cowboys. At first glance he lookes to be wearing 2 jerseys, but it’s one full length jersey with a very dramatic hem lift in it, you can see the double layer extra wide hem very clearly.

• BrianC | February 1, 2008 at 10:28 am |

Or ANY sport, for that matter. They’re all designed by marketing committees who’ve probably never even been to a game.

• Hank | February 1, 2008 at 10:29 am |

[quote comment=”214822″]I liked the Skirts/socks pic, but why does #2 look so pissed off?[/quote]

[quote comment=”214835″]From #35:
    I liked the Skirts/socks pic, but why does #2 look so pissed off?

Probably because she’s a 15-year-old girl.[/quote]

Or she has to sit next to #1 Striped Socks and listen to her endless chatter. ;)

• John | February 1, 2008 at 10:29 am |

I’ve never for the life of me been able to understand why the Chicago White Sox would wear black socks, considering the whole “Black Sox” thing. Especially with all you hear about baseball players and their wacky superstitions, it seems to me avoiding black socks would have become a “superstitious tradition” if you will. I think that would be kinda cool, to just steadfastly refuse to ever wear black socks.

And I’m kind of a traditionalist, so while I’m at it, wouldn’t it also be cool for the White Sox and Red Sox to always wear those respective colored socks, as their names imply, for every single game?

• lwiedy | February 1, 2008 at 10:37 am |

This caused quite a stir because at first look, it appeared that Cowens had gone berserk and randomly attacked another player. There was actually a warrant issued for his arrest on assault charges.

I always thought it was interesting that this guy obviously was holding this immense grudge for over a year and snapped when it seemed leased likely, especially since he was regarded as a very mild mannered guy.

Al died in 2002 of a heart attack.

• Stuby | February 1, 2008 at 10:48 am |

[quote comment=”214843″][quote comment=”214771″]Paul: Yeshiva

They can’t[quote comment=”214815″][quote comment=”214771″]Paul: Yeshiva

What he said.[/quote]
    I’m confused. There is clearly a player wearing #18 in the pictures.

• Nick | February 1, 2008 at 10:49 am |
  • Judd | February 1, 2008 at 10:50 am |

[quote comment=”214839″]beth chana appears to be playing a school that is predominantly black (at least in all the pictures it is). i dont get it that the school is called amistad… wasnt amistad a slave ship? why would a school do such a thing?[/quote]

The Amistad ship is based here in New Haven, and there is a magnet school with that name.

• Nick | February 1, 2008 at 10:50 am |

[quote comment=”214832″][quote comment=”214811″]The way the 49ers should look.

The way the 49ers should look.

The way the 49ers should look.

The way the 49ers should look.[/quote]

The pants on those ’80s 49ers uniforms were way too wide. I thought so at the time and I still think so now. I cheered when they corrected them years later. The rest of that old look is great, but please, no more wide pants stripes.[/quote]

ALSO A DITTO !!!

• Justin | February 1, 2008 at 10:51 am |

(look at the one on the far left) :O

another view middle left[/quote]

• Kenny | February 1, 2008 at 11:00 am |
  • LI Phil | February 1, 2008 at 11:05 am |

[quote comment=”214873″][quote comment=”214786″]are all the swimmers on the japanese team actually women?

(look at the one on the far left) :O

another view middle left[/quote]

I believe those pictures includes both men and women. In the first the person in the middle right is showing obvious characteristics of being male. Modern suits actually channel water away from the suit and are more hydrodynamic than the human body, even if shaved. So many men wear full body suits or at least suits that cover the legs and chest.[/quote]

thanks…already answered in posts #23 and #25

• Jen in Chicago | February 1, 2008 at 11:07 am |

• Dane | February 1, 2008 at 11:09 am |

They can’t[quote comment=”214815″][quote comment=”214771″]Paul: Yeshiva

What he said.[/quote]
    I’m confused. There is clearly a player wearing #18 in the pictures.[/quote]

• LI Phil | February 1, 2008 at 11:16 am |

/thanks, i’ll be here all week

• Sean | February 1, 2008 at 11:17 am |

[quote comment=”214881″]Hey – at the start of the Syracuse/UNC game – the Executive Producer is listed as Eddie Einhorn. Any chance it’s the same Eddie Einhorn that is a part owner of the Chicago Bulls/White Sox? I think it’s a very good chance….anyone?[/quote]

• Philly Bill | February 1, 2008 at 11:19 am |

[quote comment=”214875″]This = This[/quote]

Actually This = This + This

• KT | February 1, 2008 at 11:23 am |

[quote comment=”214888″]Yes, in fact he founded TVS at the time when college basketball was of little use to the major networks. Einhorn would have a stake in TVS until 1980, when CBS hired him to head their sports division.[/quote]

Also helped convince the USFL that a move to the fall would be GREAT for their TV prospects.

Admittedly, he was telling them what they wanted to hear anyway, but Eddie missed pretty badly on that one.

• Ray | February 1, 2008 at 11:26 am |

Not a Niners fan here either, but that old 80’s Montana era look was great with the exception of that extremely wide set of stripes down the leg. Thin those out and it would look pretty good.

Looks like they had the throwbacks in full effect at some point earlier this year and did a great job with them:

Here’s Trent Dilfer sporting the throwback look

I know the “newer” version of their uniforms have that ugly drop shadow and red and black helmet striping Which look like absolute shit in my opinion.

Why do they keep screwing with things so much? They are an iconic franchise similar to the Yankees and should stick with their traditional uniforms in my opinion.

I mean my stupid team can’t get it right to save their lives (I’m a Chargers fan). For the past 12 years, the fan base in San Diego and abroad have applauded the old school powder blue uniforms. But even with a redesign, of their uniforms, they manage to put a “twist” on their new uniforms that debuted in 2007.

Why does nobody “GET IT”???

• seven | February 1, 2008 at 11:26 am |

Great uni blooper clip as Donyell Marshall takes off his warm-up & tries to enter the game wearing only an undershirt

• John T | February 1, 2008 at 11:31 am |

Roll over ad to see full version, when you roll over socks, it identifies the teams

• ryan c #40 | February 1, 2008 at 11:35 am |

the egop facemask seen here on one of the liberty hurricane football players
    looks awesome.

hmmm… carolina hurricanes logo on a football helmet… interesting…

• Mike Miller | February 1, 2008 at 11:37 am |

[quote comment=”214798″]tiger in dubai

…he got ‘the look’ again…although it’s not so bad when he’s not wearing the sleeveless sweater[/quote]

It’s hard to tell if Tiger is wearing a long sleeve shirt under his polo or wearing these.

Nike compression sleeves

• Mark in Shiga | February 1, 2008 at 11:39 am |

• Marty Met | February 1, 2008 at 11:41 am |

Doesn’t need each players permission just the union’s.

• emd2k3 | February 1, 2008 at 11:41 am |

I’m a little disappointed in you Paul.

What, no sleeve-matching Northwestern stripes on the G-Men’s road unis?

• Dan King | February 1, 2008 at 11:42 am |

on the actual amistad the slaves revolted against the sailors and took over the ship. so not as bad as just a slave ship.

• Shaftman | February 1, 2008 at 11:48 am |

Extra!!! Extra!!! Read all about it.

• Jet | February 1, 2008 at 11:48 am |

[quote comment=”214887″]so…when those yeshiva ladies scrimmage each other…is it the skirts against the shins

/thanks, i’ll be here all week[/quote]

LOL! The one-liner of the week!

-Jet

• Al Gruwell | February 1, 2008 at 11:48 am |

Man, those baseball pics were awesome. Re: the Johnny Bench photo, that is as high as I ever recall seeing Reds’ stirrups.

• emd2k3 | February 1, 2008 at 11:49 am |

[quote comment=”214865″]When I went to the Ebay sale page linked in Paul’s blog, one of the lots for sale was this photo of KC’s Al Cowens. Notice the facemask attached to the helmet. It was for a broken jaw he received from a pitch by Texas pitcher Ed Farmer in a game from May of 1979. Farmer broke Frank White’s hand with a pitch in the same game. One year later, as a member of the Detroit Tigers, Cowens, after grounding out against Farmer, made a beeline for the mound and attacked Farmer.

Al died in 2002 of a heart attack.[/quote]

Fortunately, there are no pictures.

• Patrick | February 1, 2008 at 11:50 am |

[quote comment=”214912″]I’m a little disappointed in you Paul.

What, no sleeve-matching Northwestern stripes on the G-Men’s road unis?[/quote]

Now that looks really, really good!

• Mark in Shiga | February 1, 2008 at 11:51 am |

[quote comment=”214917″][quote comment=”214909″]What’s so special about the number 18? Is 15 not the number that looks like an abbreviation for YHWH? I don’t speak Hebrew but love number-related trivia like that. Supposedly they write “9+6” in Hebrew numerals (instead of “15”) on calendars to avoid the name of Adonai.[/quote]

Extra!!! Extra!!! Read all about it.[/quote]

Well, you learn something new every day!

(But now I want to know if that team has a 15, since 15 is a legal number in college/HS; you wouldn’t be surprised not to see an 18 since that number, as others have mentioned, wouldn’t ordinarily be given out anyway.)

• LI Phil | February 1, 2008 at 11:58 am |

[quote comment=”214905″][quote comment=”214798″]tiger in dubai

Nike compression sleeves

They give you some of the benefit of a long sleeve shirt and can be taken off easily if it warms up.[/quote]

he’s got the full compression mock turtleneck underneath…which he sported all last week at the buick too…

he IS sporting sweet shades tho, so it’s ok

• Jared | February 1, 2008 at 12:00 pm |

• LI Phil | February 1, 2008 at 12:02 pm |

[quote]i don’t mind that he wears it, i just don’t think he should be wearing a LONG-sleeved shirt with it (and there are plenty of long-sleeved TW shirts in the nike line)[/quote]

*make that “wearing a SHORT sleeved” shirt

• Mets Fan AZ | February 1, 2008 at 12:03 pm |

Nike compression sleeves

he IS sporting sweet shades tho, so it’s ok[/quote]

• Brad | February 1, 2008 at 12:04 pm |

Syracuse last wore blue jerseys full time in basketball in the 1974-75 season, wearing blue vs. UNC in the East Regional semi-finals, and again in the Final Four versus Kentucky and Louisville (3rd place game). They next wore blue in Feb. 1988 at Kentucky which has been documented on Uni Watch previously. They do have a blue alternate version of the current uniform style, but unless the players convince Jim Boeheim to let them wear the alt. uniform, it’s unlikely to happen. He does not like the blue look.

• Kyle at IU | February 1, 2008 at 12:05 pm |

• KT | February 1, 2008 at 12:07 pm |

My problems with the current 49ers’ uniforms:

*The color is off. Instead of the very cool 49ers Scarlet, we have Boone’s Farm Strawberry with blood, or something.

*TV numbers are too large and garish and on the shoulders instead of on the sleeves where they (IMHO) look less egregious.

*The whole 49er logo inside the sleeve stripes and on the pants thing is overkill.

*Likewise with the black outlines on the numbers. Thinner would be fine if you don’t get rid of them altogether.

If you want to narrow the pants stripe, fine and dandy with me. Or go late 70’s Redskins and have just two stripes, a scarlet and a white and be done with it.

Of course, that’s just my opinion, I could be wrong. Now get off my lawn.

• LI Phil | February 1, 2008 at 12:12 pm |

spike lee was at the game?

• DenverGregg | February 1, 2008 at 12:12 pm |

It’s a sad day when we have to critique the classy Niners unis, while the eyesores in Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Atlanta, and Carolina get a free pass.[/quote]
    Agreed that Atlanta, Cincinnati and Jacksonvillage unis are horrid – also Buffalo, Phoenix, Miami and the Vikings.

SF isn’t as bad as those, but would do well to ditch the black from its unis. Their 80s look was iconic. Sad that sleeves have vanished as that look can never really come back.

The Panthers’ unis don’t belong in the bottom of the barrel with these others.

• Mike | February 1, 2008 at 12:15 pm |

Here’s another sleeved basketball uni, the 1954 University of Alaska Fairbanks.

• Marc M. | February 1, 2008 at 12:22 pm |

You can place a prop bet on which jersey number scores the first TD in the Super Bowl If the link doesnt work, its on Bloomberg.com

• KT | February 1, 2008 at 12:25 pm |

• todd krevanchi | February 1, 2008 at 12:27 pm |

• LI Phil | February 1, 2008 at 12:29 pm |

What the hell jersey is that? And how do you know it has “Ovechkin” on it at all?[/quote]

all star sweater

and why is this so egregious?

• LI Phil | February 1, 2008 at 12:33 pm |

todd…are you really looking to place a prop bet on “first commercial”?

you may need to answer some questions

;)

• johnt | February 1, 2008 at 12:34 pm |

[quote comment=”214898″]For all of the hoisery lovers, interesting ad on the top of this page http://www.munsterru...

(Wonder if Paul is now moonlighting as an ad designer along with his various other projects?)[/quote]

sorry, ad was a revolving one try this

• seven | February 1, 2008 at 12:37 pm |

[quote comment=”214828″]Any Canadians get something called ASN?

[/quote]

I emailed Paul about this last night. It’s on one of the main Canadian networks. I don’t have a digital recorder, but I’m sure somebody will record it. There’s a preview online now & the whole report will probably be available online later. This program is syndicated throughout the world so it is probably available somewhere in the States as well.

• ScottyJ in WV | February 1, 2008 at 12:37 pm |

Here you go Todd….

• Mets/Jets Fan in Chicagoland | February 1, 2008 at 12:38 pm |

[quote comment=”214970″][quote comment=”214962″]does anyone know if there is an online pdf of standard prop bets for sunday? (first play, first score, first commercial, coin toss, etc.) i need one for my party.[/quote]

todd…are you really looking to place a prop bet on “first commercial”?

you may need to answer some questions

;)[/quote]

2 to 1 he doesn’t bite on that ;-)

• ScottyJ in WV | February 1, 2008 at 12:39 pm |

2nd try……

Prop bets

• KT | February 1, 2008 at 12:46 pm |

[quote comment=”214964″][quote comment=”214958″][quote comment=”214942″]congrats to Alex Ovechkin on his four-goal showing against Les Habitants. Congrats to the guy in the background of this pic for failing at buying the correct jersey. If you’re going to buy a red jersey/sweater that says “Ovechkin” on it, just get the same one that Ovechkin is wearing.[/quote]

all star sweater

and why is this so egregious?[/quote]

That’s what I’m wondering. I would think that if you went to the trouble to buy an Ovechkin All-Star jersey, it would be completely acceptable to wear said jersey to a Caps game. Why you’d have to have the same jersey he has on is beyond me.

(See how the one the fan is wearing is cut, though? At first I thought it was a basketball jersey the way it was hanging, and that he had a similarly-colored long-sleeve shirt on under it or something.)

• The Ol Goaler | February 1, 2008 at 12:47 pm |

[quote comment=”214921″]I briefly had to wear a facemasked-batting helmet in my Senior Division (post-Little League) days after a baseball to the mouth (a game of rundown, no less) broke some of my teeth. I even had to wear it in the field. Ugh.

Fortunately, there are no pictures.[/quote]

For what it’s worth, some youth leagues now require facemasks on batting helmets, as a further safety measure. Good idea, IMO, even if it’s not very aesthetic… who wants to get hit in the yap with a baseball, anyway?

• David | February 1, 2008 at 12:48 pm |

re: Giants road unis – i was curious what they looked like before the switch (in 2004 or 2005, i believe) and found a pic of tiki wearing a white jersey with red numbers in blue trim. so there was continuity before the giants decided to go old school again.

• SG | February 1, 2008 at 12:48 pm |

They can’t[quote comment=”214815″][quote comment=”214771″]Paul: Yeshiva

What he said.[/quote]
    I’m confused. There is clearly a player wearing #18 in the pictures.[/quote]

This is not a college team. I think it’s middle school level, where numbering rules probably aren’t as strict.[/quote]

• Carl G | February 1, 2008 at 12:50 pm |

[quote comment=”214911″][quote comment=”214841″]I am an attorney, but not an intellectual property attorney. I wonder whether the purveyor of the baseball photo page has the right to sell these pictures on ebay. Did he actually take the pictures? I cannot tell from his web site. Even if he did, does he have permission from the athletes to sell their likenesses?

Doesn’t need each players permission just the union’s.[/quote]

Many of the player’s are retired though, so i do not think getting the union’s permission is enough. i remember when Topps was doing its reprint sets, it had to go back to each former player or former player’s estate to get permission to reprint the cards with their likeness. They got most, but a few for whatever reason did not agree and they could not print those cards.

• Carl G | February 1, 2008 at 12:53 pm |

[quote comment=”214937″]I know that I am a little late (the memorial column was over 2 weeks ago) but I was wondering if anyone knew of a place other than ebay to purchase the “Vuk” patch the Phillies wore last season. Thanks for your help.[/quote]

Go here

• Johnny O | February 1, 2008 at 1:09 pm |

Nike compression sleeves

he IS sporting sweet shades tho, so it’s ok[/quote]
    The only time i’ve seen him in sunglasses is at the Dubai tourney, maybe it’s part of the swag they give him for coming out.[/quote]

• todd krevanchi | February 1, 2008 at 1:10 pm |

[quote comment=”214976″]2nd try……

Prop bets[/quote]

well, basically what im looking for is if someone already created a list of 20-25 prop bets with multiple choice answers.

sheets would be a couple bucks and most right answers wins the pot.
    in the past its been.

coin toss– pats jints
    first commercial– beer car soft drink .com other
    first play– run pass

and so on…

i thought someone online may have created one and posted it… didnt want to do it myself.

• TOG | February 1, 2008 at 1:12 pm |
  • TOG | February 1, 2008 at 1:13 pm |

OMG 2!!!

There’s is something weirdly attractive about that era of Sox unis.

• TOG | February 1, 2008 at 1:15 pm |

OMG 3!!!

I think after Super Bowl settles down Paul should devote one day to just comments about these photos. Magical really.

• TOG | February 1, 2008 at 1:20 pm |

OMG 4!!! Those stir-ups got me stirring…

Wow.

• TOG | February 1, 2008 at 1:26 pm |

Sorry about this but…OMG 5.

Another beautiful pair of stir-ups from the White Sox? Wow.

• Dane | February 1, 2008 at 1:31 pm |

[quote comment=”214985″][quote comment=”214882″][quote comment=”214867″][quote comment=”214843″][quote comment=”214771″]Paul: Yeshiva

They can’t[quote comment=”214815″][quote comment=”214771″]Paul: Yeshiva

What he said.[/quote]
    I’m confused. There is clearly a player wearing #18 in the pictures.[/quote]

No- you are mixing up the 2 teams. Yeshiva is a college team, so they do have strict numbering rules. The Beth Chana team is high school.[/quote]

Right. The #18 being questioned is not for Yeshiva, but for Beth Chana Academy. If you follow the “striped socks” link above, you’ll see her.

The Yeshiva comment had to do with the (now-corrected) spelling mistake in the opening line, and had nothing to do with the numbering discussion.

• muddlehead | February 1, 2008 at 1:33 pm |

cal bears numbers question. many double numbers during tedford era. this year, for example #1 wr jackson and lb williams. #2 wr jordan and db hicks etc… can’t have 2 of the same number on the field at same time. senior moment for a long time bears season ticket holder – forgetting the name and number of the player who frequently rushed to the sideline to remove top jersey with a different number before reentering game. musta been future first round pick jackson.

• KT | February 1, 2008 at 1:48 pm |

Nets’ arena project in Brooklyn can go ahead, which would be nice if it meant the return of these threads.

• Robert | February 1, 2008 at 1:51 pm |

[quote comment=”215012″]OMG 2!!!

There’s is something weirdly attractive about that era of Sox unis.[/quote]

I make no secret of liking the White Sox’ disco-era uniform a lot. I was hoping that one of the photos available for purchase would feature a player wearing the black jersey with the white pants (my favorite of the variations), but alas, no luck.

• LI Phil | February 1, 2008 at 1:53 pm |

ok…golfers wearing headbands now…

not a good look

——————–

hopefully the population remains the same

• Marty Met | February 1, 2008 at 1:59 pm |

[quote comment=”214949″][quote comment=”214810″]I think the 49ers already have the league’s best looking uniforms (and I’m not a Niners fan). Why in the heck would they want to change them? Why all the backlash against the drop shadow numbers?

The Panthers’ unis don’t belong in the bottom of the barrel with these others.[/quote]

Please! The Panthers have the WORST uniforms in the league. If it wasn’t for Penn State they would have the worst in all of football.

• Stuby | February 1, 2008 at 2:09 pm |

[quote comment=”215012″]OMG 2!!!

There’s is something weirdly attractive about that era of Sox unis.[/quote]
    Those look like capri pants. What happened to the elastic?

• James Craven | February 1, 2008 at 2:11 pm |

BTW, the yellow (or white “C” in UCLA is for 100 NCAA titles, the green dot is for the quarterbacks’ radio communications, and I do not want anyone regurgatating in their pieholes.

NOW PLEASE GET THE HELL OFF MY DAMN LAWN! That is all.

• Johnny O | February 1, 2008 at 2:18 pm |

[quote comment=”215071″]ok…golfers wearing headbands now…

not a good look

——————–

hopefully the population remains the same

although, i am SO FCKN SICK of the 72 dolphins now, a pats SB win would at least shut them the hell up[/quote]

• Juan Grande | February 1, 2008 at 2:31 pm |

[quote comment=”215105″]The Sox camos set bites, blows, stinks, sucks, are craptastic, craptacular and crapalicious in one ginormous eggroll.

NOW PLEASE GET THE HELL OFF MY DAMN LAWN! That is all.[/quote]

Get of the shed! Get of the shed or so help me God….

• GoTerriers | February 1, 2008 at 2:34 pm |

[quote comment=”215113″]You think the headband is bad, LI Phil… Check out what Pelle Edberg from Sweden always wears.[/quote]

How very Rafael Nadal-ish minus the logo, of course (or maybe just a different logo . . . we’ll never know!)

• Al | February 1, 2008 at 2:52 pm |

Wow, they’re playing in a “gym” rather than an arena — great SRO location on that second level!

• LI Phil | February 1, 2008 at 2:53 pm |

he gets a free pass…cuz he rocks the argyle

• Mets Fan AZ | February 1, 2008 at 3:06 pm |

[quote comment=”215007″][quote comment=”214940″][quote comment=”214934″][quote comment=”214905″][quote comment=”214798″]tiger in dubai

Nike compression sleeves

he IS sporting sweet shades tho, so it’s ok[/quote]

The commentators this morning at 7:30am (Yes, I woke up to watch Tiger, I’m a golf pro, I do that stuff) said that Tiger was wearing the shades because of the swirling winds today in Dubai. They were gusting to 35mph. And notice they are pretty thick sunglasses to make sure no sand got in his eyes. He, however, never wore them for a shot or putt. He either gave them to Steve (his caddy) or put them on his hat.[/quote]
    He needs some practice to look like DiMarco, he’s perfected the flip from upside down on the back of the hat to please his sponsor during the shot then back to his face.

• todd krevanchi | February 1, 2008 at 3:23 pm |

[quote comment=”215007″]

my cousin interned for troon golf at north, summer of 06.

one day his boss came in and said “matt. drop what your doing i need you to play today.”
    so he pops out of his chair, throws down all of his accounting shit and he’s all pumped because now he doesnt have to work for 4 hours.
    he goes, “who do i have?”
    his boss replies, “dimarco’s out there.”

• MPowers1634 | February 1, 2008 at 3:32 pm |

[quote comment=”214819″][quote comment=”214768″]AOL Fanhouse has an article on the Schutt Ion 4D:

the egop facemask seen here on one of the liberty hurricane football players
    looks awesome.[/quote]

That style mask has always been referred to as the E.D. cuz Dickerson made it popular or Tweety because of the bars resembling a cage. In Pop Warner, there would be all out brawls over the 1 or 2 each age group had.

• Johnny O | February 1, 2008 at 3:36 pm |

[quote comment=”215211″][quote comment=”215007″]

my cousin interned for troon golf at north, summer of 06.

he goes, “who do i have?”
    his boss replies, “dimarco’s out there.”

he said he was a great guy to play a round with and was very encouraging to him about his college play and play after college as well.[/quote]

I had a friend with a similar story:

• joe | February 1, 2008 at 3:45 pm |

[quote comment=”215031″]Sorry about this but…OMG 5.

Another beautiful pair of stir-ups from the White Sox? Wow.[/quote]

no stirrups in that pic

• Mets Fan AZ | February 1, 2008 at 3:50 pm |

[quote comment=”215228″][quote comment=”215211″][quote comment=”215007″]

my cousin interned for troon golf at north, summer of 06.

he goes, “who do i have?”
    his boss replies, “dimarco’s out there.”

I had a friend with a similar story:

He was an Assistant Pro at TPC at Craig Ranch in Texas, and his boss told him to drop everything to pick up a VIP at the airport. So he does, and he gets to the limo and low and behold Tiger Woods steps out and shakes his hand and says, “Hi, I”m Tiger Woods.” My friend was so dumbfounded he replied, “Ummm yeah, I know”. But he said they had a good conversation about the course in the car, and even got to eat lunch with him.[/quote]
    Wouldn’t you want to say, “Can I call you Eldrick?”.

• GoTerriers | February 1, 2008 at 3:55 pm |

• Mets/Jets Fan in Chicagoland | February 1, 2008 at 3:57 pm |

[quote comment=”215245″][quote comment=”215228″][quote comment=”215211″][quote comment=”215007″]

my cousin interned for troon golf at north, summer of 06.

he goes, “who do i have?”
    his boss replies, “dimarco’s out there.”

I had a friend with a similar story:

Wouldn’t you want to say, “Can I call you Eldrick?”.
    Here in Tucson during Spring training a few years ago I met Mark Grace when he came into the pro-shop at Starr Pass where I was an assistant pro. We were jammed that day so I was just trying to get everyone checked in. I looked up to give him directions to the range and said “You’re Mark Grace! DOH!!! I’m such a tool! I mean enjoy your round.” He was really cool about it and even said “Hey Tool.” when he hit the john at the turn.[/quote]
    Smooth…..I (literally) ran into Mark Gastineau at an Islander Stanley Cup finals game back in 1982, and after I bounced off him (I said ‘literally’) I said “Dude, anybody ever tell you look alot like that Gastineau guy that plays for the Jets?” He laughed and said “I get that a lot”. Then I said “High five me!” and he did and he about separated my shoulder. Good times…..

• Nicole | February 1, 2008 at 4:01 pm |

“On the field Brady gets an assist from the Pats’ uniforms, whose shiny football pants in either silver or blue perfectly hug the, shall we say, athletic posterior. The Giants need to ditch the unflattering dishwater-dull gray ones, pronto.”

• Mets Fan AZ | February 1, 2008 at 4:05 pm |

[quote comment=”215250″][quote comment=”215245″]Wouldn’t you want to say, “Can I call you Eldrick?”.[/quote]

If I’m not mistaken, Mr. Woods has legally changed his name to Tiger. So the answer to that question would probably be “No!”[/quote]
    i exhaustively researched this (wiki) and you’re right, since his 21st b’day.

• Johnny O | February 1, 2008 at 4:06 pm |

Yesterday during the Dubai Desert Classic I noticed for the first time Tiger drinking his new beverage Gatorade Tiger. I think it will be available in stores around March.

• Mike | February 1, 2008 at 4:27 pm |

[quote comment=”215164″][quote comment=”214951″]Here’s another sleeved basketball uni, the 1954 University of Alaska Fairbanks.[/quote]

So, what other colleges would play Fairbanks back in 1954? I mean, this is before the days of polypropolene, the 747, and good heated tour coaches.[/quote]
    Probably a lot of non-college teams (i.e. unions) but I’m sure Pac-NW teams occasionally came up. That “gym” they’re in has now been turned into the admissions office at the university.

• Hama | February 1, 2008 at 4:27 pm |

[quote comment=”214983″]
    Batting-helmet facemasks are akin to the full-face shields required in NCAA hockey. “Major Junior” hockey only requires visors for those 18 and over… When Sidney Crosby played for Canada as a 17-year-old in the World Junior Championships, he wore a full-face shield as well.[/quote]

• MPowers1634 | February 1, 2008 at 4:33 pm |

Continuing alog the lines of two major themes today, Unique basketball uniforms and golf anecdotes, I finally snapped pics of the Bushwoof County Club team in my men’s league. Take a gander:

Front

It’s a parking lot

I aint paying 50 cents for no coke

How bout a Fresca

50 bucks says the Smails kid eats it

NNNNNNoonan

Sadly, no Spackler

• MPowers1634 | February 1, 2008 at 4:34 pm |

Sorry for the blaspemy…Bushwood Country Club

• MPowers1634 | February 1, 2008 at 4:43 pm |

along the lines and blasphemy, I try and type too quickly…my apologies

• warren thompson | February 1, 2008 at 4:51 pm |

[quote comment=”214785″]Here, I’ll help with the 49ers redesign:

Dump the drop-shadow and black, but keep the other current colors

bring back the old oval for the helmet, take off the sleeves

bring back the old pants stripe[/quote]

Bring back the 49ers’ silver helmets and get rid of the gold.

• KT | February 1, 2008 at 5:09 pm |

• MPowers1634 | February 1, 2008 at 5:29 pm |

Considering the 1849ers were gold miners, the silver helmets didn’t make a lot of sense and would make less sense now.[/quote]

Absolutely great point, KT.

• Riley | February 1, 2008 at 5:50 pm |

In This Photo
    From left to right: Danny Tartabull, Mickey Brantley, and Al Chambers.

• DannyB | February 1, 2008 at 5:52 pm |

Re: DeSean Jackson’s “two jerseys”
    He didn’t wear two. Some better photograpy revealed that one jersey was tucked into the belt. The cuts of the jersey and the way it folded/twisted made it, at teams, appear as two. That’s what I saw (after being wrong, initially) and I think thats the general consensus… if I recall.

• Riley | February 1, 2008 at 5:52 pm |

[quote comment=”215333″]In This Photo
    From left to right: Danny Tartabull, Mickey Brantley, and Al Chambers.

OR, in UniWatch stirrup-speak: terrible, better, best. Tragically, stirrups were a bad indicator for major league success in this case[/quote]

Sorry screwed up the link

• DannyB | February 1, 2008 at 5:54 pm |

(re: re: my last post) at times. not teams. best shot was a full-pager in SI, but I don’t have the copy to reference any longer.. it was from this fall. start flipping…

• Mike Engle | February 1, 2008 at 5:55 pm |

Absolutely great point, KT.[/quote]
    Not to mention they’d be taking a color of their hated Raiders…

• MikeyB | February 1, 2008 at 6:03 pm |

I was going through an old yearbook at my HS, the same year that we won the Nebraska state championship in football. I remember going to that game, but I don’t remember much about it. The team we were playing were the Raiders, and not so surprisingly, their helmets were an exact clone of the Oakland Raiders.

Anyway, there was something about the uniforms of the Raiders that caught my eye. The socks were stripped–black and silver. If I can scan some pictures, I’ll see if I can post them.

• Wes Walz | February 1, 2008 at 6:28 pm |

Not only does this look like a photo shoot-only jersey, there’s one other problem with the jersey card: the Twins didn’t wear pinstriped jerseys in 1986, which the card commemorates as Puck’s first ASG appearance. Now, if it’s just supposed to be a random GW jersey; that’s one thing. If it’s supposed to be from ’86; I’d say they have two problems!

• Nicole | February 1, 2008 at 7:30 pm |

There’s a full page in today’s ESPN the Mag about prop bets including odds.

• LI Phil | February 1, 2008 at 7:40 pm |
  • James Craven | February 1, 2008 at 7:47 pm |

Sew help mee, nest thyme sumone maks a speling errur… :))

• LI Phil | February 1, 2008 at 8:08 pm |

[quote comment=”215257″]The Fug Girls compared Eli and Tom and decided Tom’s posterior won due to the shiny pants.

and what exactly would the fug girls know about dishwater? other than the fact that they’ve probably never seen it

• LI Phil | February 1, 2008 at 8:18 pm |

[quote comment=”215374″][quote comment=”215132″]“Get of the shed! Get of the shed or so help me God….”[/quote]

Sew help mee, nest thyme sumone maks a speling errur… :))[/quote]

get OFF the shed

• MPowers1634 | February 1, 2008 at 8:19 pm |

[quote comment=”215339″][quote comment=”215325″][quote comment=”215308″][quote comment=”215292″]Bring back the 49ers’ silver helmets and get rid of the gold.[/quote]

Absolutely great point, KT.[/quote]
    Not to mention they’d be taking a color of their hated Raiders…
    You know what really grinds my gears? The modern throwbacks the 49ers wore last year (which coincidentally, Alex Smith didn’t play in at all) had the damn Reebok logo break up the middle sleeve stripe. Never mind why do they need a logo in the first place, but why not put it above the numbers so you don’t ruin the look? Disgusting. Stripes are stripes. Don’t splice the stripes, and especially don’t integrate your f*cking logo with the throwback stripes when you logo isn’t exactly welcome in the first place. And that’s what really grinds my gears. Tom, back to you.[/quote]

One of the better observations and justifications that I’ve read on UW recently.

• Alan #44 | February 1, 2008 at 9:12 pm |

Watching Rangers-Devils. One of the refs has a stripe on his pants. Anyone know why?

• Azul Army | February 1, 2008 at 9:48 pm |

I join with you in this sentiment. They need to go away. But even if the Pats win, they won’t. I saw one of these guys say that the Pats won’t ever surpass their record; the 72 ‘fins will move over and allow the Pats to join them on the record.

Yes, they will both be undefeated, but last time I checked 19 is greater than 17.

If nothing else, put away the champagne flutes and at least have better decorum about the whole thing…

Does anyone out there play Whatif Sports? Can you do a match up of the 72 Dolphins and the 08 Pats?

• LI Phil | February 1, 2008 at 10:00 pm |

remember what they say about eBay

• KT | February 1, 2008 at 10:09 pm |

The ’72 Dolphins are actually easier to deal with than most Patriots’ fans.

At least the ’72 Dolphins have long memories. Most Patriot fans can’t remember anything before 2001.

And I’m still trying to figure out why someone wearing an Alexander Ovechkin All-Star jersey to a Capitals game featuring Alexander Ovechkin would be a bad thing.

• jere | February 1, 2008 at 10:36 pm |

About Puckett: I’d guess it’s a spring training shot that they took intending to crop above the number.

I would also guess it was spring training 1992. Since it appeared on a ’94 card, the photo would be ’93 at latest. Dave Winfield had already been signed in the off-season before ’93, so any 32 jerseys would’ve been huge (here are the two men side-by-side). And Gladden left after the ’91 season. So they probably gave Kirby a random jersey to wear that fit him in pre-season ’92.

Here’s another spring training shot of Puckett in a jersey with no number at all (a cropped version of which is used here on the Twins’ official site), a style the Twins hadn’t worn since a decade before Kirby played, so you never know what they’re gonna throw on you for photo shoots, when they want a “real” jersey but have to work around the fact that they use different ones for spring training.

• CookiePuss | February 1, 2008 at 11:48 pm |

Wow, that Syracuse-UNC broadcast from 1975 is a treasure trove!
    – UNC’s light blue Chuck Taylors.
    – Dean Smith looking snazzy in his three-piece suit with flared slacks and elevator boots.
    – The picture at 3:23 says all that needs to be said about mens fashion in the 70s (oh how I wish we could go back).
    – Marv Albert’s god-awful rug.
    – Jim Boeheim as an assistant dressing exactly the same as he would for the next 30 years – camels hair blazer with slacks (you’re a tasteful man, coach!).
    – And a great line from Bucky Waters about Philly fans:
    “They’ve been known to boo kindergarten graduations”

Thanks for making my night.

• Tim O. | February 1, 2008 at 11:50 pm |

2008/2009 Liverpool Kits leaked
    Here they are

• Tim O. | February 1, 2008 at 11:56 pm |

Forgot the mention that those kits, if authentic, look a lot like those from the days of Kanny Dalglish and John Barnes. I like them, they are kinda plain but completely classic.

• Bob H | February 2, 2008 at 12:04 am |

[quote comment=”215113″][quote comment=”215071″]ok…golfers wearing headbands now…

not a good look

——————–

hopefully the population remains the same

Looking at the burns on his face, he could use a shade hat!

• lwiedy | February 2, 2008 at 3:28 am |

[quote comment=”215415″][quote comment=”214865″]When I went to the Ebay sale page linked in Paul’s blog, one of the lots for sale was this photo of KC’s Al Cowens…Al died in 2002 of a heart attack.[/quote]

remember what they say about eBay[/quote]

I guess for those incapable of relying on their own knowledge/common sense/research this might be true. This post was to simply point out the uni related item and the player who wore it.

• Rob | February 5, 2008 at 3:14 am |

[quote comment=”215279″][quote comment=”214983″]

The rules that Hockey Canada uses are based from the IIHF rules, which has everyone under 18 wearing full masks, anyone over 18 must wear at least a half shield unless you were born before 1975 I think, in which case you can go without facial protection.[/quote]

Not in the three leagues of the Canadian Hockey League (OHL, WHL, and LHJMQ). See, for example, John Tavares who is in his third year as an Oshawa General and doesn’t wear a cage. Tavares is only 17 and has been playing in the OHL since he was 15 Every other player is clad in the same visor.

The equipment deals are actually VERY restrictive in junior hockey. Every player accross the over 50 teams in the three leagues has to wear the exact same visor get up (whatever the current version of the Itech HX series is). The under-18 full shield rules are only for international play and Junior A on down.