Insert Rose-Based Play On Words Here

Football

I was going to go with something written by Bret Michaels, the noted poet and wordsmith of Poison (except for the songs written by C.C. DeVille), but decided against it. You know, because it would suck and all …

So while you get the words to “Unskinny Bop” firmly entrenched in your head, take a moment to check out the flowery adornment from the 1984 Rose Bowl. That’s Rick Neuheisel for UCLA scampering from a couple of Illinois defenders. I hadn’t seen the Illini’s shoulder logo before, and I’m guessing UCLA’s looks better in color. Kinda looks like a cotton ball on a stick here. Either way, both are better than the standard bowl logo/sponsor patch present in today’s games, though a Poulan Weed Eater Bowl patch would be something to treasure.

I’m gonna go relive seventh grade now. Where’s my Walkman? — Bryan

103 comments to Insert Rose-Based Play On Words Here

• plunke673 | December 30, 2007 at 8:19 am |

Weird, I had just clicked on Unskinny Bop before I came to this page. Before yesterday, a song I hadn’t heard in years and years.

• James Craven | December 30, 2007 at 9:09 am |

• Steve Sarran | December 30, 2007 at 9:40 am |

The Rick I remember growing up

• jjwasz | December 30, 2007 at 9:45 am |

[quote comment=”194967″]Actually, Neuheisel shouldn’t even be coaching in football period because of his gambling tendencies. In case you haven’t forgotten, he did a bit of wagering while at Washington on the NCAA Tourney a few years ago, and should have not been working in the NFL.[/quote]

Oh give me a break, the guy was playing an office pool for the ncaa men’s basketball tournament. Not exactly calling kneel downs to preserve a point spread so he could collect his winnings from a bookie now is it?

• Mike | December 30, 2007 at 9:48 am |

Gambling tendencies? Are you seriously talking about the March Madness pool he entered? Granted, his pay-in was much more than most Americans throw into their office pool, but if he shouldn’t be coaching due to participating in a hoops pool, neither should the majority of coaches in America.

• Kel | December 30, 2007 at 9:59 am |

Hey, I’m sure Neuheisel was hard core. He probably even drove through the mountains in January and said to his wife, “Betcha twenty bucks it snows this weekend.” Kick him out!

• chris | December 30, 2007 at 10:00 am |

Don’t forget he won his lawsuit against UW and got 4.5 Mill for it. All he lied about was playing the pool, that’s what they fired him for. The real question is the recruiting violations at Colorado. He will be hard pressed to recruit against USC. Will the temptation to get an edge be too much for him?

• LI Phil | December 30, 2007 at 10:05 am |

[quote comment=”194974″]The Rick I remember growing up[/quote]

the rick I remember growing up

• u2horn | December 30, 2007 at 10:16 am |

The Ricker I remember growing up.

• Grimm | December 30, 2007 at 10:47 am |

Take a look at these horrible, horrible jerseys. They kind of remind me of the MLB Back to the Future , but much, much uglier.

jerseyshttp://www.easports.com/nbalive08/jerseycreatorgallery.jsp?team=viewall

• Brendan | December 30, 2007 at 10:47 am |

• LI Phil | December 30, 2007 at 10:48 am |

[quote comment=”194981″]Will the temptation to get an edge be too much for him?[/quote]

perhaps a 3 point contest will be in order

• Brendan | December 30, 2007 at 10:49 am |

A bit of a better view of MGP’s NOB.

• Grimm | December 30, 2007 at 10:50 am |
  • Grimm | December 30, 2007 at 10:52 am |

And one last time.

• Shane | December 30, 2007 at 10:59 am |

• Art | December 30, 2007 at 11:06 am |

Could anyone explain why Randy Moss’ jersey number 8 is upside down – I notice it almost every week!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Shane | December 30, 2007 at 11:33 am |

[quote comment=”195003″][quote comment=”194995″]There’s some strange NOB action that’s been going on for a while for the Blackburn Rovers. Morten Gamst Pedersen (Gamst Pedersen being his surname) wears only Gamst on his jersey. He got special permission from the EPL to do this (it’s his mother’s maiden name). Has anyone else ever done this?[/quote]

That’s just the tip of the iceberg with soccer NOBs. My favorite is Real Madrid’s Jose Maria Gutierrez Hernandez, who wears “Guti.H”.[/quote]

Another good EPL related uni story was when Sunderland signed Patrick Mboma from Parma. They’d introduced him with the number he’d worn at Parma, 70. I can’t remember what the highest number the EPL allows is (45?), but they forced him to switch to 7.

• Brendan | December 30, 2007 at 11:41 am |

• College Kid | December 30, 2007 at 11:58 am |

[quote comment=”195014″]It seems that everyone in today’s games in the EPL is wearing a black armband, even the referees. Who or what is this for?[/quote]

Most likely for Phil O’Donnell, who collapsed during a match yesterday and later died at a hospital.

• NateL | December 30, 2007 at 12:16 pm |

Is Randy’s “8” the only one upside down? Or are all the Pats 8’s applied like that?

I noticed Randy’s, but never looked at the other guys.

and you gotta love Oregon State’s “sports bra look”

• gopherboy | December 30, 2007 at 12:32 pm |

the minnesota golden gopher’s hockey team wore yellow throwbacks(?) last night against orange-clad RIT. Not only was the jersey combo ugly but the ophers lost so the game was too…

• Scott | December 30, 2007 at 12:39 pm |

• Paul Lukas | December 30, 2007 at 12:54 pm |

[quote comment=”195042″]Not a great pic, but here’s Warren Moon in the ’78 Rose Bowl. The Huskies hadn’t been for nearly 20 years, and did the single-rose patch… then they went a couple more times in the next few years, and added additional roses to the patch each time.[/quote]

I ran a column on Rose Bowl uni modifications about two years ago. A few of the photo links no longer work, but most of them are still good — look here.

• kenneth | December 30, 2007 at 1:17 pm |

he now has guti. haz on the back of his jersey now. the a and z added for the initials of his children aitor and zaira

• River | December 30, 2007 at 1:24 pm |

• Andrew Bolte | December 30, 2007 at 1:33 pm |

[quote comment=”195058″]Fulham wore their home whites yesterday when their were away at Birmingham.Why they didn’t wear their stellar new blue third kits i have no idea![/quote]

Probably something to do with the fact that Birmingham City were wearing their home blue/white kit. I would be more curious as to why they didn’t wear their away kits, but after their pasting at White Hart Lane on Boxing Day (5-1), I can think of a few reasons why they chose to stick with the home whites.

• Nate R. | December 30, 2007 at 1:33 pm |

With the NFL season coming to a close, I’ve noticed something. The Buffalo Bills are wearing all one color jerseys. Their regular uniform set calls for one color on top and the reverse on bottom as seen here…Home and Away. However, they are using the solid sets which are supposed to be listed as alternates seen here…Home and Away.

Just a little tidbit I’ve noticed…

• S Bennett | December 30, 2007 at 1:42 pm |

Because their blues create even more confusion vs. Birmingham than the whites. Their second strip made perfect sense, but were nowhere to be seen. Go figure.

SB

• TheMatt | December 30, 2007 at 1:50 pm |

I was this close to Rickrolling this thread. Too many Ricks…

• Brandon | December 30, 2007 at 1:57 pm |

[quote comment=”195073″]I was this close to Rickrolling this thread. Too many Ricks…[/quote]
    LOL, of all the places I never thought I’d see that… just not here~

• Tim | December 30, 2007 at 2:09 pm |

Premier league teams had makeshift memorials to Phil O’Donnell who passed away yesterday during a game. I included pics of Man City, Derby and Liverpool.

• jon | December 30, 2007 at 2:57 pm |

• Jordan | December 30, 2007 at 3:41 pm |

The Bears are having helmet decal issues again today. The wishbone “C” on center Olin Krutz’s helmet is ripped again. Looks like there are some others too.

• Nicole | December 30, 2007 at 3:57 pm |

Apparently this guy’s helmet was stolen and he had nothing to wear. The equipment guy told him sometimes other guys bring extra helmets to trade or get signed. He asked around and ended up using one of Brett Favre’s extra helmets during the Pro Bowl.

I’ve never heard anything like that.

• David | December 30, 2007 at 4:17 pm |

Redskins out in burgundy pants but all-burgundy socks, with no stripes

• David | December 30, 2007 at 4:20 pm |

I’ve never heard anything like that.[/quote]

• john | December 30, 2007 at 4:21 pm |

Shannon Sharpe’s tie just gave me my fist acid trip. Someone stop him from dressing himself.

• jere | December 30, 2007 at 4:31 pm |

“Fallen Angel” kicks ass. Underrated.

• Casey (Davis, CA) | December 30, 2007 at 4:37 pm |

The Rick I remember growing up.

• Frankie | December 30, 2007 at 4:49 pm |

[quote comment=”195096″]a nice 33 degree day on the lake in cleveland and the refs are wearing knickers. gotta love that.[/quote]

Yet it’s 52 degrees in Oakland and they’re wearing the pants. My mom even made the comment, “Those pants the officials wear are so ugly.”

• Chuck Ryals | December 30, 2007 at 4:53 pm |

[quote comment=”195117″]Redskins out in burgundy pants but all-burgundy socks, with no stripes[/quote]

the burgundy socks gotta go!

• Eli | December 30, 2007 at 5:00 pm |

I got an authentic NFL jersey for X-mas, and I’ve already got a mild spot on one of the white numbers. Does anybody have a tip about how to remove the spot without ruining the jersey? All tips are welcome!!

• T.J. | December 30, 2007 at 5:12 pm |

Going to try my luck at linkage:

Mr. Neuheisel in living color

• T.J. | December 30, 2007 at 5:14 pm |

Here’s the whole web page with several decent color pics:

1984 Rose Bowl: UCLA 45, Illinois 9

• Jordan | December 30, 2007 at 6:18 pm |

[quote comment=”195148″]Here’s the whole web page with several decent color pics:

1984 Rose Bowl: UCLA 45, Illinois 9
    [/quote]
    those are some great pics and one of the reasons why i watch the rose bowl is to see what the teams do for patches and what not.

• Dan | December 30, 2007 at 6:19 pm |

Texans wore red today against the Jaguars

• ThresherK | December 30, 2007 at 6:39 pm |

[quote comment=”195158″]Texans wore red today against the Jaguars[/quote]

Jerseys and pants?

If we don’t have a better name, aka: Union Suit?

• Jordan | December 30, 2007 at 7:14 pm |

Jerseys and pants?

If we don’t have a better name, aka: Union Suit?[/quote]

• Straw | December 30, 2007 at 7:36 pm |

• LI Phil | December 30, 2007 at 7:51 pm |

[quote comment=”195183″]Great shot of the Illini jersey. I saw that jersey in person when I was a senior in h.s.
    A girl that sat next to me in English class was dating a player from that team, and he gave her the jersey after the game and she wore it to school after the winter recess. I remember thinking that jersey was dynamite, especially the patch. Nice job.[/quote]

just closin’ the tags

• LI Phil | December 30, 2007 at 7:51 pm |

just closin’ the tags

• Straw | December 30, 2007 at 7:55 pm |

sorry for the triple post. My bad

• LI Phil | December 30, 2007 at 7:56 pm |

tags off?

• LI Phil | December 30, 2007 at 7:59 pm |

looks like LT had a lil shoulder issue

• LI Phil | December 30, 2007 at 8:06 pm |

arizona…where mediocrity is a virtue

is babineau’s jersey supposed to look like this?

so wrong

• James Craven | December 30, 2007 at 8:18 pm |

[quote comment=”194980″]“Hey, I’m sure Neuheisel was hard core. He probably even drove through the mountains in January and said to his wife, ‘Betcha twenty bucks it snows this weekend.’ Kick him out!”[/quote]

Hell, yeah! That’s the Neuheisel I’m speakin’ of! Besides, the National…Football…League frowns on gambling of any kind, legal and otherwise, plus after the NBA referee scandal, this makes it ten times magnified than a year ago.

• Brandon | December 30, 2007 at 8:22 pm |

[quote comment=”195196″]arizona…where mediocrity is a virtue

is babineau’s jersey supposed to look like this?

so wrong[/quote]

• junkland | December 30, 2007 at 8:23 pm |

• junkland | December 30, 2007 at 8:23 pm |

• Johnny O | December 30, 2007 at 8:23 pm |

I’ve never heard anything like that.[/quote]
    I didn’t get the game, but Kenny Albert, Daryl Johnston and Tony Siragusa were the announcers (but Tony is a sideline reporter I think)[/quote]

It was Moose Johnston who mentioned he had to borrow Favre’s helmet in the Pro Bowl. This was mentioned in Paul’s ESPN article for “Holiday gift ideas” but it was stated that he wore Reggie White’s helmet. I have tried looking for a picture and have come up short. We do need a picture of this!

• LI Phil | December 30, 2007 at 8:24 pm |

so does the PAC-10

• LI Phil | December 30, 2007 at 8:28 pm |

[quote comment=”195207″]phil, i don’t think that is his jersey. based on the way lineman have them tailored i think it is a torn undershirt.[/quote]

thanks brandon…i couldn’t tell ifn it was his jersey or an undergarment of some kind…i HOPE it’s not his jersey

on an unrelated note…today i was a packer fan

• Mix Masta B | December 30, 2007 at 8:28 pm |

Here is a color picture I found of the jerseys…

• Tony B | December 30, 2007 at 8:35 pm |

I’ve never heard anything like that.[/quote]
    It was Moose Johnson, I remember turning on the game late and seeing him in a Packers helmet. As a Cowboy’s fan, I almost shit myself thinking he was traded between the end of the season and the Pro Bowl. Later, in the game the announcers eplained again what had happened, so then I could “concentrate” on the Pro Bowl.

Also, does anyone remember in All-Star games when they couldn’t wear the same number and the player with more seniority got his number and the youngre player had to pick a number that wasn’t used?

• Matt Lesser | December 30, 2007 at 8:48 pm |

I was at the Red Wings-Coyotes game last night, and I never really realized how ugly the monochrome really was…

• Matt Lesser | December 30, 2007 at 8:49 pm |

Okay lets try this link again…

• Joseph | December 30, 2007 at 9:10 pm |

Vince Young has a chinstrap pad that is light blue with the Titans logo on it. Is this normal??

• Matt D. | December 30, 2007 at 9:15 pm |

[quote comment=”195157″]
    When Washington State went a few years ago they altered their logo and had a rose go through the cougar head.[/quote]

Purdue did that also in 2001, I believe.

• LI Phil | December 30, 2007 at 9:19 pm |

[quote comment=”195181″][quote comment=”195169″][quote comment=”195158″]Texans wore red today against the Jaguars[/quote]

Jerseys and pants?

If we don’t have a better name, aka: Union Suit?[/quote]

Red jerseys, white pants — if you squinted, it looked like the Giants wearing their red alternates.[/quote]

texans looked more like falcons

not usually a fan of monocrap…but, i like this

i like the seahawks, and panthers in all white…and especially the rams which looks so much better than this

• LI Phil | December 30, 2007 at 9:28 pm |

lemme try this link again

texans looked more like falcons

• TD | December 30, 2007 at 9:31 pm |

Hunter Smith (P-Colts) has the shortest game pants I’ve ever seen. Truly into actual bike-shorts length.

• Stevo | December 30, 2007 at 9:50 pm |

I’ve never heard anything like that.[/quote]

It was Daryl “Moose” Johnston. The funny part of that was that Brett ended up giving that helmet to Emmitt Smith after the game in a trade.

• Stevo | December 30, 2007 at 9:53 pm |

[quote comment=”195211″][quote comment=”195204″]Besides, the National…Football…League frowns on gambling of any kind[/quote]

so does the PAC-10[/quote]

But Ricky has a note from his parents, I mean the NCAA, saying that it’s all good.

• junkland | December 30, 2007 at 10:04 pm |

looks like LAKERS-CELTICS in short shorts!

• Nolan | December 30, 2007 at 10:04 pm |

[quote comment=”195210″][quote comment=”195120″][quote comment=”195112″]Really good tidbit just came up during booth discussion at the Green Bay game. I’m on my way out the door, so I can’t do any research, but one of the guys is a former Cowboy who played in a Pro-Bowl in the mid 90s that Brett Favre also played in.

I’ve never heard anything like that.[/quote]

Moose even went into detail on the broadcast saying he wore a Bike helmet, and after putting on Favre’s helmet, which he said was Riddell, he said it was a lot lighter and felt awkward. He also stated his dad was a huge Packers fan and asked him after the game if he wore that helmet for him. Pretty cool story if you ask me.[/quote]

Here’s what I could find. It’s small, I don’t feel like registering to see the bigger image. Clearly Moose in a Green Bay helmet though.

• junkland | December 30, 2007 at 10:14 pm |

it’s only the Lakers in real short shorts. Trevor Ariza is sporting the yellow knee pads!

• Mark | December 30, 2007 at 10:27 pm |

[quote comment=”195209″]Here’s a heads-up… Supposedly the LAKERS are doing something “unbelievable” with their uniform for the game tonight against the Celtics.[/quote]

and that would be wearing honest-to-goodness SHORT SHORTS!! Derek Fisher looks like he’s wearing a Speedo, for cryin’ out loud. Lakers are having “80s night” with the throwback unis, while the C’s are wearing their ’57 throwback but with the usual way too long shorts. Celtics TV announcers were giggling like schoolkids as the game started and we were treated to a close-up of Fisher’s butt. After the last 15 years or so of ever-more baggy clamdiggers it’s shocking to see current players in ’80s style shorts. And this is coming from someone who grew up in the ’80s.

Apologies for not having pics, but something tells me a Lakers pic will be at the top of this page tomorrow.

• Jeff I. | December 30, 2007 at 10:28 pm |

What’s the opposite of a sight for sore eyes?

That’s how I feel about the Lakers and those shorts.

• LI Phil | December 30, 2007 at 10:33 pm |

who wears shortshorts?

more to come

• Mark | December 30, 2007 at 10:40 pm |

[quote comment=”195242″]What’s the opposite of a sight for sore eyes?

That’s how I feel about the Lakers and those shorts.[/quote]

As long as we can’t tell what religion they are, I’m okay with it. Some of the best ball ever played in the NBA was by guys in shorts like that–Magic, Bird, et al. The super-baggy shorts first popularized by MJ and then further blown up by the Fab Five have become a triumph of form over function. At what point does all that extra fabric get in the way and slow you down?

Game is very chippy right now, another throwback to Boston-LA matchups in the ’80s.

• Stevo | December 30, 2007 at 10:52 pm |

[quote comment=”195243″]who wears shortshorts?

more to come[/quote]

I didn’t know Fernando Alonso was a basketball player.

• Pretty Boy Paulie | December 30, 2007 at 11:02 pm |

Good lord! Arizona needs to quit all that red monochrome nonsense. Rams need to dump the white pants too (well maybe just change the stripe down the side). I don’t mind the navy monochrome though.

I wanna see these again!

• LI Phil | December 30, 2007 at 11:25 pm |
  • LI Phil | December 30, 2007 at 11:26 pm |
  • junkland | December 30, 2007 at 11:43 pm |

Lakers back to the baggy shorts in the 2nd half.

• Mark | December 30, 2007 at 11:45 pm |

short-shorts update: the Lakers left them in the locker room and went back to 21st century length shorts for the second half. The fact they’re getting their butts kicked may have something to do with it.

• TD | December 30, 2007 at 11:47 pm |

Chin caddies:

Vince Young in a lovely powder blue

Lendale White in a lovely Namesake White

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | December 31, 2007 at 12:02 am |

you would never have seen him in something like this…

• LI Phil | December 31, 2007 at 12:23 am |

[quote]you would never have seen him in something like this…[/quote]

wat it is

• The Ol Goaler | December 31, 2007 at 12:34 am |

From both the “Never saw that before…” and the “ALWAYS bring your camera!” departments…

During this week’s “Heaven’s Best” high school basketball tournament in Little Rock, a couple of teams had uni-related gaffes. Harding Academy (Memphis, TN) had a problem with their home whites, forcing them to wear their road reds as the home team against Joe T. Robinson High (Pulaski County, Ark.) Since the Robinson Senators wear black road unis, no problem… but the next game… Hoo, boy!

The Earle (Ark.) Bulldogs were supposed to be the “road” team against the Prescott (Ark.) Curley Wolves (and yes, that’s both the correct spelling and the correct team name for Prescott High!) But both teams came out for the warmups wearing home whites, trimmed with maroon numbers and lettering. There wasn’t enough difference between the vartically-arched “Bulldogs” unis with block numbers and the radially-arched “Curley Wolves” unis with “Viper”-styled numbers. After a delay, somebody found a set of “away” uniform shirts belonging to the Little Rock Hall High Warriors… so the Bulldogs donned the orange-and-white shirts; despite the eyeball-searing combination of orange, white, and maroon!

(The Goaler admits I shoulda had my camera… ye gods!)

• Mark | December 31, 2007 at 12:46 am |

[quote comment=”195269″]i would debate that jordan ever wore “super baggy” shorts. he was just the first to ask for added length in the inseam, and even then, at that phenomena’s inception, it wasnt TOO outrageous. it was just unusual to see. jordan always seemed to maintain a look of class in the way he looked.
    you would never have seen him in something like this…

although jordan will always be attributed with starting this wave of how to wear your hoop shorts, he wouldnt even be among the top 25 of those nba’ers guilty of REALLY wearing “super baggy” and excessively tailored shorts.[/quote]

Agreed that MJ’s shorts, at least in his Bulls days, weren’t that baggy compared to the fashion revolution he spawned. Make no mistake though, he was the inspiration for all the lengthening of inseams that followed. Long shorts simply weren’t worn in basketball before he wore them.

This may be old news to this crowd, but my understanding is that MJ requested longer baggier shorts early in his career because he liked to wear his UNC uniform shorts under his Bulls shorts. For that time, he had to have the most customized uni shorts of any player in the NBA.

• Robb | December 31, 2007 at 12:55 am |

weird… Gatorade Commercial features Majestic Logo on Derek Jeter’s sleeve.

Reminded me of the discussion about MLB 08 screen shots on Dec 12

• Jordan | December 31, 2007 at 2:48 am |

somebody needs to sign Lamar Odom after that nice form tackle of Ray Allen
    and you gotta love the short-shorts

• Jason | December 31, 2007 at 2:56 am |
  • Jordan | December 31, 2007 at 2:59 am |
  • The Hemogoblin | December 31, 2007 at 4:18 am |

the A&M coach’s bitchtits are showing through big time through his white shirt, if i am not the first person to list this, i apologize, i don’t have the time to read the 200 comments from the last two days.

• dm00n [Doug] | December 31, 2007 at 4:36 am |

The Lakers look might have worked if they reigned in the baggy jerseys too. I think what gave the effect of super tiny shorts was the fact that the shirts were ballooning out of the top (and they were small shorts).

• dm00n [Doug] | December 31, 2007 at 4:38 am |

Also, the tops would have to balloon out of the shorts if they were a regular modern fit, if you have seen players with their shirts untucked (which I have noticed a few times in recent games) the jerseys are tailored to be almost as long as the extra-long shorts.

• John | December 31, 2007 at 7:18 am |

Sorry, but does anyone else think it was just plain stupid of the Lakers to wear 80’s shorts only, and not the whole uniform? And also, the whole effect is wrecked by the pressure shorts (of varying colors no less) sticking out of the leg holes. Couldn’t they go without those for this one game? If you’re not gonna do it right, don’t do it at all, for crying out loud.

• LI Phil | December 31, 2007 at 8:40 am |

only 9 swooshes in this pic…5 of which are actually on the unis

• Nick | January 1, 2008 at 2:13 am |

I count 12 swooshes.
    But I still can’t find Waldo.