’Hawks: Copycats of Tigers?

MU8H0035_001.jpg

Some stories seem so obvious, you wonder why they never popped up before. That was my reaction when I recently got a note from reader Benjamin Guest. I’ll let him tell the tale in his own words:

Auburn University recently released their schedule for the 2008 season. Scanning over it, I realized there was a team I knew absolutely nothing about, the University of Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks. So I went to their website to scope out their uniforms.

Shocking stuff awaited. They appear to be wearing Auburn’s uniforms. Every stripe is exactly the same, the team name on the chest is identical in shape, type and placement. Here’s their quarterback, and here’s our quarterback, Brandon Cox. Their road whites match Auburn’s whites, too. So next year’s match-up at Auburn should look a lot like the annual A-Day game that ends spring practice.

The obvious difference is Auburn’s Under Armour logo vs. UTM’s Russell logo. But here’s the thing: Auburn, due to its proximity to Russell headquarters, wore Russell uniforms until the 2006 season. Here’s Brandon Cox in 2005 wearing a Russell jersey — perhaps the exact same jersey the Skyhawk QB is wearing in that other photo.

Did Russell just have piles of unused Auburn jerseys? Did they rip “Tigers” off the chest and sew “Skyhawks” in its stead? Apparently this is the first season that they’ve been copying our style. Last year they were outfitted by Nike and wore lots of royal blue. And after poking around on their web site, it looks like all their teams wore royal last season.

One really odd thing about all this: seeing long-retired Auburn numbers back in action, like Bo Jackson’s number on a Martin player.

Fascinating stuff. We’ve seen plenty of examples of a team being forced to wear its opponent’s uniforms due to a luggage snafu or some similar special circumstance, but are there other examples of two opposing teams whose standard designs are more or less identical? Seems like we would have seen this come up before, but nothing’s coming to mind.

Also, does anyone know more about how Tennessee-Martin ended up with this Auburn-esque design? Benjamin’s theory about Russell simply dumping a lot of surplus Auburn gear on UTM sounds depressingly plausible.

oms.jpg

Next-to-Last Will and Testament, More or Less: Tomorrow morning I have to undergo what promises to be a rather nasty round of oral surgery. That is not code for oral sex, or tearing into a big-ass steak, or throwing darts at Orel Hershiser — it’s your basic periodontal torture session staring me in the face, and I’m told it will be exactly zero fun. There’s still about 24 hours for me to be run over by a truck or struck by lightning before the procedure commences, but with my luck that probably won’t happen. Dang.

Anyway: Depending on how miserable and/or looped on painkillers I am afterward, it is possible — not likely, but possible — that we’ll have to run an open thread on Thursday or Friday. It’s also possible — again, not likely, but possible — that I’ll enjoy the painkillers so much that I’ll just stay in bed with a big, goofy smile on my face until the prescription runs out. So if things are a little weird over the next few days, blame it on the dental profession.

Uni Watch News Ticker: I think this was originally supposed to read, “Free Mike Vick jerseys available at the merch table on Level 2,” but they ran out of room. … Decal maven Chris Willis checked in regarding the Bears’ chronically torn helmet logos: “Don’t know what’s going on, but we’re going to try to find out. As the decals get colder, they tend to get brittle — my Canadian guys tell me that sometimes the decals get so cold up there that they just shatter.” … Southern Illinois had some uni number problems over the weekend (with thanks to Drew VanNess). … Reprinted from yesterday’s comments: Willis McGahee’s “Ravens” chest wordmark was missing once again on Sunday. … Forgot to mention yesterday that Minnesota’s two starting CBs both wore solid white socks, which made them look like ballet artists, as you can here (with thanks to Wayne Yeung for the overhead shot). … Rob Ward reports that the Idaho Steelheads of the ECHL will be wearing jerseys to honor the Boise State Broncos football team. Details here. … Serious typo the other day at UW-Milwaukee, where Jineen Williams’s jersey read, “Milaukee” (with thanks to Jerre Schlax). … Reprinted from last night’s comments: Byron Leftwich has been wearing a teal undershirt, presumably left over from his Jaguars days. … Also from last night: Bob Sanders of the Colts had some helmet stripe problems on Sunday night. … Indiana will be wearing two helmet stripes at the Insight Bowl. … While researching last night’s Brooklyn Dodgers presentation, I came across this photo. Check out the guy who’s very out of uniform at the far left. Dem Bums? Dem buns!

160 comments to ’Hawks: Copycats of Tigers?

• ML | December 11, 2007 at 9:19 am |

Southern Illinois had some uni number problems over the weekend

Uni issues arent the only problems they had.

GO BLUE HENS!

• Rich | December 11, 2007 at 9:25 am |

HA! That Dodgers photo is priceless!

• Stuby | December 11, 2007 at 9:26 am |

That UT-Martin thing is really bizarre. You’d think if they were going to copy a uniform, it would be the Vols.

• Chad E. | December 11, 2007 at 9:28 am |

indiana and oklahoma look pretty much alike.

• Joe H | December 11, 2007 at 9:28 am |

• Joe H | December 11, 2007 at 9:31 am |

[quote comment=”184986″]Willis McGahee Game didn’t have the wordmark on his jersey from the 12/3/2007 game against the Patriots either.[/quote]

I may have figured it out too…look at the tag on the Ray Lewis jersey from the same game – “07-48” and McGahee’s is – “05-46”

He must be wearing an old jersey that for some reason didn’t have the mark…maybe it was a prototype. I think 05 was the first or second year they wore the black.

• =bg= | December 11, 2007 at 9:32 am |

A “FREE MIKE VICK?” t-shirt?
    Well, they will! In 2 years, of course.

• Bluesfan | December 11, 2007 at 9:33 am |

Southern Illinois had some uni number problems over the weekend

It also looks like his helmet stripe is coming off.

• kings33 | December 11, 2007 at 9:33 am |

In a true Porky’s moment, anyone want to identify the offending buttocks?

• adrian | December 11, 2007 at 9:43 am |

Another strange thing about UTM is that they use the University of Tennessee’s system wide logo for their helmets.

In the 2006 season they used the system logo with “Martin” written under the logo.

This year they went without the Martin.

• what is a skyhawk? | December 11, 2007 at 9:44 am |

11/1 Ole Mis
    11/8 UTM (cream-puff)
    11/15 Georgia
    11/29 Bama

• Minna H. | December 11, 2007 at 9:45 am |

OT: Paul, are you having a root canal? I’m just asking because the last one I had was easy-peasy. In and out in half an hour. Crowns? No problem, either. Except I have lockjaw so that part hurts. Anything more complicated than that, I can’t help you with.

On topic: I like the Vikes’ all-white socks look. Don’t know why; I just do.

• Jeff McClendon | December 11, 2007 at 9:48 am |

[quote comment=”184994″]BTW, way to go Auburn. You’ve upheld the SEC tradition of scheduling cream-puffs in November.

11/1 Ole Mis
    11/8 UTM (cream-puff)
    11/15 Georgia
    11/29 Bama

Those are some cream-puffs, maybe they should have scheduled Ohio State in there as well.[/quote]

Ut Martin is Homecoming…Auburn, in addition to its 8 SEC games, also plays at West Virginia early in the season.

Can’t blame teams for copying Auburn’s uniform patterns…they are quite awesome, some of the best in college football.

• kings33 | December 11, 2007 at 9:49 am |

At a memorabilia show last weekend, and I saw some cool old Atlanta Jerseys, including some with vertically arched NOBs
    The Moss jerseys=good – Renteria= Radial arching… not so much.
    as well as some nice throwbacks

• Deemer | December 11, 2007 at 9:51 am |

In regards to the Chicago helmet decal issue, maybe it strengthen the logo if the center of the C was included instead of the decal just following the outlind of the C. Having a clear center to the decal shold help width of the logo and give it strength and eliminate the weak point near the serif of the C.

• Shane | December 11, 2007 at 9:53 am |

I’m pretty sure that Leftwich is not wearing a teal undershirt. It appeared to me that the teal is actually on his shoulder pads. He is probably wearing the ones he used in Jacksonville as it is not uncommon for players to keep the same pads even though they switch teams. Willis McGahee actually wears his pads from his days at UM. I think there was even a picture of him in SI awhile back wearing the shoulder pads without the jersey and you could clearly see the orange and green of the ‘canes.

• Bill | December 11, 2007 at 9:55 am |

Paul,

Two words: preventive maintenance.

Good luck!

• Dave in VA | December 11, 2007 at 9:56 am |

• Shane | December 11, 2007 at 10:00 am |

#65 by Charlie Mitchell on 08.31.06 11:01 pm | Quote

In the latest SI, there is a photo of Willis McGahee wearing his Bills pants and shoulder pads sans jersey. The shoulder pads have orange and green lining. Are these leftover from his Miami days?

Here is a post from where else but Uniwatch regarding the photo that I mentioned.

• Kevin | December 11, 2007 at 10:02 am |

The weather in Chicago hasn’t been really that cold yet during a Bears game, so I don’t really know how much the cold weather would affect the decals. I sent an email to the team about painting the logo on the helmets since the decals look like crap. They sent me one bakc saying they would forward it to the equipment manger.

• Minna H. | December 11, 2007 at 10:04 am |

[quote comment=”185000″]Paul,

Two words: preventive maintenance.

Good luck![/quote]

Bill, preventative maintenance, alas, is not all that is needed sometimes. I have the world’s worst teeth and no matter how much I maintain (I brush three times a day with my electric toothbrush) and floss twice a day, I have to get some kind of work done every time I go in. My brother is the same way. So is my mom. My dad who doesn’t take care of his teeth at all has no cavities, I believe. Life isn’t fair!

I have a question about McGahee’s undershirt–is it red or orange? Even on an HDTV, I couldn’t tell. Maybe I need to go to the eye doc!

• Johnny Bacardi | December 11, 2007 at 10:07 am |

• Matt B. | December 11, 2007 at 10:09 am |

Alls I can say is good luck Paul…

• Stuby | December 11, 2007 at 10:10 am |

[quote comment=”185007″]Byron Leftwich has been wearing a teal undershirt, presumably left over from his Jaguars days.

The Jag-wires don’t wear teal, do they? It doesn’t look like Florida Marlins or San Jose Sharks teal…[/quote]
    Huh?

• Masshole | December 11, 2007 at 10:10 am |

Reprint from yesterdays comments…or technically very early this morning…(i take no credit for the idea) – he linked to pictures…which i am completely incompetent to transfer over.

was ‘iowaboy’ and paul on the same wavelength or what?? His comment yesterday is the exact same thing as Pauls article today (except the schools and the sport)…

#176 by iowaboy on 12.11.07 12:47 am | Quote

Well, almost: the exact same Nike template and the same colors, with Penn State in the home whites and BYU in the visitor’s darks. The same diagonal shirt design, same names and numbers in same places, same front placement of team logo and dreaded swoosh.

As Paul mentioned in today’s column, volleyball liberos wear contrasting uniforms to the rest of their team. The result in this game was that each team’s libero wore the very same uniform as the other team, with the only apparent exceptions being the team name on the shirt back and tiny team logo on the shirt front.

• JoeS | December 11, 2007 at 10:11 am |

Funny you should ask, from yesterdays comments:
    [quote]In Saturday’s NCAA women’s volleyball quarterfinals, Penn State defeated Brigham Young… with both teams wearing the same uniforms.

• The Ol Goaler | December 11, 2007 at 10:12 am |

Looks like teal to me!

• JoeS | December 11, 2007 at 10:15 am |

[quote comment=”185011″][quote]…are there other examples of two opposing teams whose standard designs are more or less identical?[/quote]
    Funny you should ask, from yesterdays comments:

There’s a Flash photo gallery of Saturday’s match here. For more detail, see these earlier separate shots of Penn State here with libero #4, and here, and Brigham Young here and here. [/quote][/quote]
    Oh and the credit should go to iowaboy who posted this yesterday. Here are his links and links.

• Stuby | December 11, 2007 at 10:18 am |

“…are there other examples of two opposing teams whose standard designs are more or less identical?”

• War Damn Eagle | December 11, 2007 at 10:18 am |

Auburn – best uniforms in college football – period.

And the idea of Auburn and UT-Martin wearing identical uniform templates reminded me of when the Milwaukee Brewers wore throwbacks to honor the 1957 Braves . . . in a game against the Atlanta Braves. That game also featured some retired numbers – a Brewers pitcher sported #44 in a Braves uniform for the first time since Hank Aaron’s final Atlanta season in 1974.

• Jason G. | December 11, 2007 at 10:24 am |

Am I the only one who thinks the Steelheads should dye their ice blue for this game?

• War Damn Eagle | December 11, 2007 at 10:24 am |

Well, here’s what it looks like at A-Day, for those trying to imagine the uni-armageddon of two teams wearing identical uni templates:

• JoeS | December 11, 2007 at 10:25 am |

• Marty Met | December 11, 2007 at 10:29 am |

11/1 Ole Mis
    11/8 UTM (cream-puff)
    11/15 Georgia
    11/29 Bama

UTM, Ole Miss and Bama are definately cream puffs. Georgia not so much.

• Jeff McClendon | December 11, 2007 at 10:31 am |

it’s some good ole sarcasm…the idea seems to be, hey michael vick’s might have done wrong, yeah he murdered a bunch of defenseless animals, but he did find jesus, so everything’s cool!

• Marty Met | December 11, 2007 at 10:32 am |

Navy vs. Notre Dame. Not an exact match, but close enough that you’d think it was a scrimmage.[/quote]

NOW that’s an EYESORE. Give me Oregon vs. Oregon St. over that. ANY DAY.

• Jim | December 11, 2007 at 10:34 am |

• Jeff McClendon | December 11, 2007 at 10:39 am |

It’s hard to watch that game for that reason. Not that the uniforms are bad, it’s just damn near impossible to tell who’s who at a glance. The same is true with Army/Navy.

With Auburn/UT Martin, three differences:

1. They don’t play every year.
    2. Auburn will ALWAYS be the home team (wearing blue) in this game.

• ryan c #40 | December 11, 2007 at 11:03 am |

post #5

does mcgahee’s jersey (wordmark-less) have way more purple on the collar than lewis’ jersey that jeff supplied???

post #14

cool braves jersey pics… did they have a francisco cabrerra jersey there? if so, i’d like to buy it… take it out to pnc park’s lot… and take a major-league dump on it then light it on fire in front of everybody. ha-ha. in fairness though, id like to take a bonds jersey and…

cool pictures though.

my goodness do i love women’s college volleyball… the actual game is pretty cool too!!!

• JOKSTRP | December 11, 2007 at 11:08 am |

I think what we are seeing is his shoulder pads, and not a shirt. It is not uncommon for players to take their pads when changing teams.

• Wade Harder | December 11, 2007 at 11:11 am |

[quote comment=”185029″][quote comment=”185016″]”…are there other examples of two opposing teams whose standard designs are more or less identical?”

With Auburn/UT Martin, three differences:

1. They don’t play every year.
    2. Auburn will ALWAYS be the home team (wearing blue) in this game.
    3. Their helmet decals are different (as opposed to Navy and Notre Dame who both have blank gold helmets).[/quote]

• LI Phil | December 11, 2007 at 11:13 am |

• Ben Goldberg | December 11, 2007 at 11:16 am |

The shame is the Blue Hens look a lot like Michigan
    and the team your playing Friday has already beaten the better of the teams. Go Appalachian Go.

• Perry | December 11, 2007 at 11:17 am |

[quote comment=”185008″]I’m going in for my second root canal in a week tomorrow… 10 years without a visit to the dentist and I’ve been 4 times in 2 weeks, with another 5 appointments between now and New Year.
    Alls I can say is good luck Paul…[/quote]

I’m sure you’ve been told that there’s surely a connection between the 10-year gap and the 9 appointments in a month. I made the same mistake in my 20s, with not quite so severe consequences, but bad enough.

I had my first root canal in 1976 and my second in 2004, and I can testify that the dental profession has come a LONG way in terms of pain prevention. Either that or there was a big disparity in surgical skill, but in any case, that 2004 job was a walk in the park by comparison.

• Sean | December 11, 2007 at 11:25 am |

I checked the Corbis photo website and here is the description they gave on the photo.

Dodgers Celebrating Their Double Win

Original caption: 9/29/1949-Boston, MA- It was thumbs up for the Dodgers in their locker room after they defeated the Braves, 9-2, in the first game and, 8-0, in the second game of their doubleheader. manager, Burt Shotton(right), congratulates Gil Hodges, who got two hits.

Checking the 1949 Dodgers roster page on Baseball-Almanac, Ralph Branca did wear #13, so most likely that’s his heinie. Newspapers when printing this photo would crop the offending portion, so it’s doubtful it would appear in the news of the day

Suddenly I feel a little dirtier for writing about this topic.

• Matt | December 11, 2007 at 11:31 am |

• Original Jim | December 11, 2007 at 11:42 am |

I didn’t even know Jesus was missing. Was an Amber Alert issued?

• Craig | December 11, 2007 at 11:45 am |

The Blue Hens look like Princeton…the original wearers of the winged helmet. So Michigan looks like Princeton too. Only with different colors.

• Jay | December 11, 2007 at 11:47 am |

And Navy has a big “NAVY” written across the chest.

When you first tune in though, they’re difficult to tell aprt.

• Chance | December 11, 2007 at 11:56 am |

[quote comment=”185017″]Auburn – best uniforms in college football – period.

Yeah, the Brewers do that every couple years when they play the Braves.

I’m pretty sure that nobody wore #44 in that game, since the Brewers retired it for Hank in 1976.

• Dwight | December 11, 2007 at 12:08 pm |

[quote comment=”185049″][quote comment=”185022″]I don’t live in Atlanta, I don’t go to church and I don’t know much about Mike Vick, but how exactly did he find Jesus for us?[/quote]

I didn’t even know Jesus was missing. Was an Amber Alert issued?[/quote]

now that is damn funny.

• Jason | December 11, 2007 at 12:15 pm |

You have to feel for Branca. First there was the whole Bobby Thomson thing and now his bare can is all over Uni Watch…

• Terry Mark | December 11, 2007 at 12:26 pm |

Paul, I wish you the best on your procedure and a quick recovery.

On IU’s helmet stripes, I tend to prefer cleaner helmets with a minimum of striping, or at least thin stripes. I love that my Hoosiers are in a bowl game for the first time in 14 years, but I’d wish they leave their helmet alone.

If anything, they ought to tweak their jerseys and/or pants because it’s been noted that IU and Oklahoma look virtually alike. I suppose that’s part of the reason I like that IU has resumed wearing crimson pants. That and the crimson facemask (vs. OU’s white) are about all that visually separates the Hoosiers and Sooners.

• Ethan | December 11, 2007 at 12:35 pm |

• Rich | December 11, 2007 at 12:42 pm |

Dodgers Celebrating Their Double Win

Suddenly I feel a little dirtier for writing about this topic.[/quote]
    Thanks for getting to the bottom of that for us…!

• Nick | December 11, 2007 at 12:44 pm |

There is actually a long tradition of passing down uniforms.

The Cardinals (originally the Morgan Athletic Association (of South Morgan Street), Racine (again, from the street) Cardinals, Chicago Cardinals … you get the picture) got their nickname because they got the hand-me-down jerseys from the University of Chicago (the “Maroons”) which had faded, hence the “Cardinals”.

My father’s high school in Chicago got the never-used hand-me-downs of Texas A&M (“wrong shade”). “Great pants, but they were all big”

Here’s one for uniwatchers:
    We all know schools that mimic successful teams’ unis.

• Deron | December 11, 2007 at 1:01 pm |

The best explaination I can give for the UA russell clones is the fact that they are made in the same factory, by the same people on the same machines. At least that is the info I recieved this past spring from my under armour rep while trying to sell uni’s to some high schools in my area.

Several high schools were interested in under armour and our rep stated that their production of football uni’s was fully operational. They (UA) were planning to buy an ols champion factory for their football line and held off, but to continue outfitting their college teams and the select few high schools they use to showcase their brand, they needed a manufacture, and Russell was who they turned to. So not only do those uni’s look exactly alike, they most likely are the exact same material and are simply tagged differently.

• Chase | December 11, 2007 at 1:15 pm |

WOOHOO!

I read Uniwatch everyday during my lunch, and it was shocking to see my Skyhawks (well, I was a Pacer, we changed mascots) featured here. I am an alum living in Boston, and I went home for a game this year and HATED the new unis. Bring back the royal blue and orange!

• Zach | December 11, 2007 at 1:15 pm |

As it goes with Southern Illinois’ uni number issues, we had those when I played football in high school. It could mean that their uniforms are a year or two old. Ours were 3 years old and they peeled just like that during a rainy game my senior year. Needless to say they replaced them the next year.

• Rich | December 11, 2007 at 1:21 pm |

[quote comment=”185086″]There is actually a long tradition of passing down uniforms.

Here’s one for uniwatchers:
    We all know schools that mimic successful teams’ unis.
    But can we find an example of someone mimicking an unsuccessful team? I’m thinking of the Buc’s creamsickles, or the old Saints or Falcons.[/quote]
    Fauquier High School (Falcons) in Warrenton, VA used Atlanta’s old logo and red color scheme back when I was in school. Though I think their logo on the helmet was white instead of black. Don’t have any pics though.

• jjwasz | December 11, 2007 at 1:28 pm |

[quote comment=”185040″][quote comment=”185022″]I don’t live in Atlanta, I don’t go to church and I don’t know much about Mike Vick, but how exactly did he find Jesus for us?[/quote]

people tend to forget that mike vick was very helpful to certain katrina refugees[/quote]

Too bad that doesn’t mention the fact that the “homes” he found for them were holes dug in his back yard.

• Jeremy | December 11, 2007 at 1:29 pm |

they dont play this season but the university of kentucky and the university of buffalo appear to have the same unis/colors/font/interlocking logo (uk vs ub)… i cant tell if buffalo has the white fabric color under the arms. the uk jersey looks like it has the mesh like fabric on the chest while the buffalo jersey looks silky all over.

• Valjean | December 11, 2007 at 1:31 pm |

Dodgers Celebrating Their Double Win

Suddenly I feel a little dirtier for writing about this topic.[/quote]
    Thanks for getting to the bottom of that for us…![/quote]

• Mike Engle | December 11, 2007 at 1:39 pm |

Dodgers Celebrating Their Double Win

Suddenly I feel a little dirtier for writing about this topic.[/quote]
    Thanks for getting to the bottom of that for us…![/quote]

Yeah, our problems are all behind us. Though maybe we’ll get a different answer at the crack of dawn tomorrow …[/quote]
    Or maybe even sooner, when the moon appears before our eyes…

• Mike Engle | December 11, 2007 at 1:40 pm |

[quote comment=”185051″][quote comment=”185046″]Notre Dame and navy can easily be told apart by the trained eye, as Navy’s helmets are a more dull gold than Notre Dame’s (no gold flakes) and the jerseys are a different shade of blue. In addition, Notre Dame has numbers on the sleeves, or an ND as was the case in the past.[/quote]

And Navy has a big “NAVY” written across the chest.

When you first tune in though, they’re difficult to tell aprt.[/quote]
    I look at the shoes. Until further notice, it’s easier to think of ND v. Navy as Adidas v. Nike.

• JoeS | December 11, 2007 at 1:49 pm |

• JoeS | December 11, 2007 at 1:51 pm |

…Suddenly I feel a little dirtier for writing about this topic.[/quote]
    Thanks for getting to the bottom of that for us…![/quote]

Or maybe even sooner, when the moon appears before our eyes…[/quote]
    Come on now! The first pun was understated and funny. You guys are just trying to hard now. You’ve fully ruined for me the funniest post of the day.

• MLB2PDX | December 11, 2007 at 1:52 pm |

[quote comment=”185109″][quote comment=”185108″][quote comment=”185085″][quote comment=”185045″][quote comment=”185001″]In the Dodgers photo, from the writing above Hodges’ locker, it says “Hodges – 14”. The locker behind the bare tuchas appears to have the number “13” on it. Wasn’t Ralph Branca #13? Do we have an ID on that “bum”?[/quote]

Dodgers Celebrating Their Double Win

Suddenly I feel a little dirtier for writing about this topic.[/quote]
    Thanks for getting to the bottom of that for us…![/quote]

Or maybe even sooner, when the moon appears before our eyes…[/quote]

I have to admit, I already forwarded that picture to about 15 people. Nice work Paul. I guess… :-)

• Matt Powers | December 11, 2007 at 1:57 pm |

A spat job is done to connect the foot encased in a shoe, to the upper part of the ankle to increase support. Much like other “trends” that start out with function in mind, form eventually takes over and it becomes more of a fashion issue.

With the use of neoprene ankle braces, made by companies like McDavid, the need for “spatting” one’s cleats is obsolete.

• Mets Fan in Chicago | December 11, 2007 at 2:02 pm |

[quote comment=”184992″]I’m assuming the bow-tied gentleman in the middle is Burt Shotton, with Hodges and possibly Campy?

In a true Porky’s moment, anyone want to identify the offending buttocks?[/quote]
    I think it is reserve infielder Harry Cheeks ;-)

• TimInGA | December 11, 2007 at 2:02 pm |

• Chance | December 11, 2007 at 2:10 pm |

Good for you.

They’re pathetic.

• derek | December 11, 2007 at 2:14 pm |

University at buffalo and Kentucky have pretty much the same uniforms. http://ukathletics.c...
    and they have the exact same helemts just kentucky has k instead of a b

• Mets Fan in Chicago | December 11, 2007 at 2:16 pm |

[quote comment=”185124″][quote comment=”185119″]DeAngelo Hall joined Roddy White in their support for Vick. As a citizen of Atlanta and a huge Falcons fan, I am extremely embarassed by their actions.[/quote]

Good for you.

They’re pathetic.[/quote]

Time to trot out the famous “Atlanta cheer”:

“Go Falcons!……and take the Braves with you!”

• derek | December 11, 2007 at 2:23 pm |

[quote comment=”185084″]There is sad news in Muckville and I was hoping you and your readers could help. The Batavia Muckdogs, the NY-Penn league team in the city of my youth, Batavia NY, could be on the way out. It seems that the Muckdogs, owners of one of the great minor league baseball logos, is having financial difficulties. What’s worse, the team has a fanancial savior waiting in the wings, but the proces is being stalled by government inaction (Check out this article). I encourage everyone to write to the Muckdogs, and the City Council in Batavia NY and encourage them to do whatever needs to be done to save the team. Batavia is one of the original NY-Penn league teams, has a great baseball history, and the people in that great Western New York town love their team. Don’t let government bureaucracy ruin a great thing.[/quote]
    I live about 30 mins away from batavia and our high school baseball team plays a game at their stadium every season, it is a geat park and i would be sad to see the muckdogs leave.

• Jeremiah McElwain | December 11, 2007 at 2:29 pm |

I play baseball for Cumberland University in Tennessee. We had a rep from Adidas come several weeks back to show us cleat options for the coming spring. I asked about black on black cleats (ie. black cleats with black 3 stripe adidas logo) because they’re easier to keep clean, as well as easier to keep polished. I was told that Adidas was not offering black on black cleats. I asked why and the rep said that several recent National Champions had been wearing Adidas cleats, and because some players had been wearing the black on black variety, the Adidas logo was not showing up enough in pictures. I do not know if Adidas is not offering the black on black cleats at all, or if they were not offered to us because of our ranking (pre-season #8 NAIA). If anyone can shed some light on the subject I’d appreciate it.

• Joe H | December 11, 2007 at 2:42 pm |

[quote comment=”185036″]post #5

[/quote]

• Miguel | December 11, 2007 at 2:48 pm |

[quote comment=”185130″]This is completely unrelated to any post, and/or comment written in the bast few days, but it is however, completely uni-related.

I know this may be sacreligious but I’d rather be wearing Nike anyway. They’re lighter, and much more comfortable.[/quote]

The rep is being shady. You can get these or these.

• DouginGA | December 11, 2007 at 2:49 pm |

• dm00n [Doug] | December 11, 2007 at 2:50 pm |

I googled it and found an explanation of the origin of the word (from spatterdash – a long gaiter to protect the trousers or stockings, as from mud while riding.) However, what is the origin of use in football? Is this just a term for the heavy tape-job on shoes or is this actually a separate piece of equipment? If it is more than tape, what is the purpose?[/quote]

Spats are old school mens fashion.

Football players routinely tape their ankles to help prevent injury, and also tape their shoes so they are firmly attached to their feet and don’t come off.

The tape just ends up looking like spats a lot of the time.

• Mark in Cincy | December 11, 2007 at 2:52 pm |

I just flipped over to ESPN2 . . . MY EYES!! MY EYES!!

• DouginGA | December 11, 2007 at 2:57 pm |

Marseille are brutal today, and I don’t just mean their orange/baby blue kits.

• Mark in Cincy | December 11, 2007 at 3:00 pm |

Marseille are brutal today, and I don’t just mean their orange/baby blue kits.[/quote]

• ross | December 11, 2007 at 3:03 pm |

[quote comment=”185137″][quote comment=”185111″]I can’t imagine this hasn’t been covered before, but can someone point me to an explanation of spats in football? (I searched uniwatch for spats and only found references to them, not any explanation)

Spats are old school mens fashion.

The tape just ends up looking like spats a lot of the time.[/quote]
    I think the Uni-watch spat term relates to a contrasting color tape job, such as black tape over white shoes, or white tape over black shoes. I can’t find any pictures right now, but I’m sure they’re out there.

• DouginGA | December 11, 2007 at 3:06 pm |

True, at first glance, those kits looked pink and baby blue. I don’t know much about Euro soccer, so I assume those are the norm for the team. I do like the Liverpool look.[/quote]

• todd krevanchi | December 11, 2007 at 3:09 pm |

• VP | December 11, 2007 at 3:09 pm |

• LI Phil | December 11, 2007 at 3:14 pm |

remember he belicheat tapes that were supposedly destroyed by the nfl?

not so fast my friend

• Stan | December 11, 2007 at 3:17 pm |

[quote comment=”185028″][quote comment=”185001″]In the Dodgers photo, from the writing above Hodges’ locker, it says “Hodges – 14”. The locker behind the bare tuchas appears to have the number “13” on it. Wasn’t Ralph Branca #13? Do we have an ID on that “bum”?[/quote]

Lol, can’t believe we have people trying to find out who’s ass we’re looking at….. too funny.[/quote]

Is it possible the “bare behind” belongs to Tommy Lasorda…for he is truly an ass!!!

• Mets Fan in Chicago | December 11, 2007 at 3:17 pm |

• Kevin | December 11, 2007 at 3:20 pm |

Never seen this before. Any info?

• Mets Fan in Chicago | December 11, 2007 at 3:26 pm |

[quote comment=”185159″][quote comment=”185157″][quote comment=”185151″]I find it funny that a Delaware fan kicks off this comment section, since their unis and helmets are direct COPIES OF MICHIGAN![/quote]
    …which – as stated before – are copies of Princeton’s helmet and uniform. Do your homework, sonny, before you post[/quote]

[quote]The distinctive helmet would also have practical advantages on the field. Crisler figured the helmet would help his quarterbacks find receivers downfield.[/quote]

then, as now, it doesn’t help[/quote]

• LI Phil | December 11, 2007 at 3:26 pm |

then, as now, it doesn’t help

• Mets Fan in Chicago | December 11, 2007 at 3:27 pm |

then, as now, it doesn’t help[/quote]
    (RIMSHOT)

• Kek | December 11, 2007 at 3:39 pm |

Did anyone notice that it appeared that Deangelo Hall was wearing a wedding band in this photo.

Does he wear his ring during the game? (I don’t even wear my ring at work and I work at a desk!)

(Sorry if this was addressed already…)

• Buzz | December 11, 2007 at 3:44 pm |

• Pedro | December 11, 2007 at 3:44 pm |

Yet another US Soccer jersey has been revealed:

New US Men’s Away Kit

• Jeff McClendon | December 11, 2007 at 3:45 pm |

[quote comment=”185133″][quote comment=”185036″]post #5

[/quote]

Ray Lewis has his entire collar removed and then widened… McGahee’s is the was it’s supposed to be.[/quote]

or, to paraphrase dennis green, mcgahee’s collar is what we thought it was.

• Jeff McClendon | December 11, 2007 at 3:51 pm |

from time to time i’ll notice high schools that seek to mimic a college team’s unis. i’ve seen high school unis that look just like auburn’s, and other schools. i’m guessing it’s more common for high schools to mimic colleges than it is for one college to copy another.

as paul said at the top, i’m guessing russell had a glut of extra auburn unis after auburn switched to underarmour a couple of years ago.

then russell was like, “hey utm, wanna save some money?”

• Minna H. | December 11, 2007 at 3:51 pm |

I didn’t even know Jesus was missing. Was an Amber Alert issued?[/quote]

Original Jim, best post of the day. Very dark, and very dry….

• Jeff McClendon | December 11, 2007 at 3:53 pm |

• Minna H. | December 11, 2007 at 3:53 pm |

[quote comment=”185168″][quote comment=”185133″][quote comment=”185036″]post #5

[/quote]

or, to paraphrase dennis green, mcgahee’s collar is what we thought it was.[/quote]

Jeff M., second-best post of the day. Ah, Dennis Green. Because I am a Vikings fan, he brings back good/bad memories.

• Mike | December 11, 2007 at 3:53 pm |

[quote comment=”185149″]i honestly cant believe that there were falcons who supported the shirt saying, “free mike vick” as though he is being encarcerated for a crime he didnt committ.[/quote]
    Well and here is where race/poverty comes back into play. I by no means support Vick and as a dog lover wish he had got MORE time (5 years sounds about right)…

• GoTerriers | December 11, 2007 at 3:56 pm |

We’ve commented on it back and forth occasionally, but Paul’s stance on writing a dedicated blog entry is that it’s best left for folks at Sports Illustrated or the USA Today or some other media outlet which is looking to fill column inches.
    Paul prefers (and I hope he’ll forgive me for speaking for him!) to focus on the uniqueness of uniforms, the variety of uniforms and the minutiae of uniforms.

• u2horn | December 11, 2007 at 4:02 pm |

I’ll start.

The Texas Longhorns win.

• Brent | December 11, 2007 at 4:05 pm |

• Brent | December 11, 2007 at 4:06 pm |

Oops – here’s the LINK

• LI Phil | December 11, 2007 at 4:06 pm |

[quote comment=”185175″]But its entirely possible his teammates honestly don’t think he did anything wrong, and think he is being imprisoned unfairly. They know its a crime, they just dont think it should be.[/quote]

it’s not just his teammates…there are maybe 250 threads on 50 different boards devoted to just this (just google ‘vick dog fighting’)…we needn’t get into on here

we all know what he did WAS wrong and IS a crime and now he has 23 months to continue finding christ and hoping nike buys hush puppies so he can get a new shoe contract

• Kerry P | December 11, 2007 at 4:09 pm |

LSU’S unis are mimicked by Albany:
    LSU-PURPLE | ALBANY-PURPLE
    LSU-WHITE | ALBANY-WHITE

Yet they haven’t met on the field and I don’t see it happenning…EVER.

• Rick | December 11, 2007 at 4:10 pm |

I’ll start.

The Texas Longhorns win.[/quote]

Yes there has been. Penn State won it.

• Kerry P | December 11, 2007 at 4:10 pm |

I’ll start.

The Texas Longhorns win.[/quote]..in TEXAS maybe.

• Justin B | December 11, 2007 at 4:12 pm |

[/quote]

• Moose | December 11, 2007 at 4:14 pm |

[quote comment=”185166″]I don’t want to be yet another griper in the comment section, but I just want to say that I’d like to see more content like the Auburn/UTM jersey comparison, which was truly interesting, and less harping on some element on an individual player’s uniforms not perfectly matching the rest of his team’s (because of error or damage). I am not really interested in the fact that some equipment manager was absent minded and made a mistake, and getting rid of this kind of stuff would make the blog entries a lot shorter (a good thing).[/quote]

Uh…thats what the comments are for. Discussion of team/player uniforms. Except for the occasional heckler/idiot, I like the overall discussion.

• ryan c #40 | December 11, 2007 at 4:23 pm |

“Seriously, just stick with one design and try to establish some sort of identity!”

AMEN!!! THANK YOU PEDRO!!! that should hold true for ALL sports! with VERY FEW exceptions!!!

• Lee | December 11, 2007 at 4:43 pm |

[quote comment=”185167″]Yet another US Soccer jersey has been revealed:

New US Men’s Away Kit

Seriously, just stick with one design and try to establish some sort of identity![/quote]

• John | December 11, 2007 at 4:48 pm |

[quote comment=”185136″]UEFA Champions League showing Marseille v Liverpool. Liverpool in their 3rd kit (black) with NO shirt sponsor. Carlsberg (their normal shirt sponsor) banned in France due to their regulations against alcohol and tobacco advertising. You may remember Rangers played Lyon earlier in the UCL and blacked out their shirt sponsor (Carling).[/quote]

here’s an image link:

I’m not a huge fan of the all-black kits.

• James Craven | December 11, 2007 at 4:52 pm |

Puketacular Marsailles uniforms today from Nike? Pink and baby blue…and they played like spoiled children today against Liverpool.

• Pat | December 11, 2007 at 4:53 pm |

not so fast my friend[/quote]

Just so you know that was the film that was released right after the news hit. It was shown on MSNBC or Fox News or one of those channels. This is old news.

• KT | December 11, 2007 at 4:56 pm |

From today’s “Flyers Report” in the Philadelphia Inquirer:

“Once upon a time, NHL teams wore colored jerseys at home and white on the road. Then it flip-flopped. Then the league introduced the infamous “third jersey,” which could be worn whenever, provided it was within the rules. Except no one is really sure what the rules are.

In the NFL, the requirements of television used to dictate what color jersey teams wore, which is why the Dallas Cowboys are almost always in white.”

• Marty Met | December 11, 2007 at 5:16 pm |

[quote comment=”185184″][quote comment=”185179″][quote comment=”185173″]has there ever been an article on this site or comments in the message board here about the best unis in college football, and other categories as well?[/quote]

I’ll start.

The Texas Longhorns win.[/quote]

Yes there has been.

Penn State won it.[/quote]

How could Penn State’s uniform win ANYTHING? It’s the ugliest POC I have ever seen.

• Mike Miller | December 11, 2007 at 5:18 pm |

Also, If you looked at the sponsors’ boards along the sideline, the board that would have Heineken had “Champions World” on it, in the same font with the two red stars on either side of it.

• Mike Miller | December 11, 2007 at 5:21 pm |

[quote comment=”185147″][quote comment=”185145″][quote comment=”185141″][quote comment=”185140″]I just flipped over to ESPN2 . . . MY EYES!! MY EYES!![/quote]

Marseille’s traditional colors are blue and white. I believe the goalkeeper is actually wearing last year’s home shirt as his shirt in this game. At least, I always remembered Marseille in white at home.[/quote]

I think that orange and blue is a special Champions League kit, I could be wrong.

I thought their “tradional” uniform was sky blue shirts with white or sky blue shorts. But I don’t follow the French league that closely. I do know that Lens have seriously boss jerseys (yellow and red vertical stripes).

• Mike Engle | December 11, 2007 at 5:23 pm |

[quote comment=”185199″]From today’s “Flyers Report” in the Philadelphia Inquirer:

Before I say definitively that he’s an idiot, someone please tell me if he’s an idiot.[/quote]
    I’ll give him the NHL jersey rules being confusing, but he gets the “Idiot, Just STFU” Award for the Cowboys bit. Somebody should have read that Uni Watch column on ESPN’s Page 2 entitled, “How ‘Bout Them Cowboys?

• Chad G | December 11, 2007 at 5:29 pm |

My list of almost identical uniforms:

Nebraska/Wisconsin:
    Nebraska has wider sleeve stripes and only a single helmet stripe. Wisconsin has 2 helmet stripes.

Oklahoma/Indiana/Arkansas
    OU is Nike, IU and Arkansas are adidas. IU has red facemasks(a few years ago they had white masks) Arkansas has the razorback logo on the sleeve instead of tv numbers.

Buffalo/Kentucky:
    Essentially identical except buffalo’s uni’s are cheaper which makes sense since buffalo is in a low level conference

LSU/Albany:
    look closely, the pants stripes are different. On LSU’s pants there is a small yellow stripe that separates the white and purple

Michigan/Deleware
    Different number fonts. UM wears Navy and UD wear royal. UD’s helmets use metallic paint like the NY Giants

Notre Dame/Navy
    ND is adidas, Navy is nike. Different types of block numerals. Navy TV numbers are on the shoulders, ND TV numbers are on the sleeves. Navy jerseys say NAVY on the front. Navy has blue facemasks, ND has grey

when I think of more I’ll add them

• LI Phil | December 11, 2007 at 5:39 pm |

[quote comment=”185017″]Auburn – best uniforms in college football – period.
    [/quote]

they’ll look good in the chick-fil-a bowl

• Chad G | December 11, 2007 at 5:57 pm |

[quote comment=”185206″][quote comment=”185017″]Auburn – best uniforms in college football – period.
    [/quote]

they’ll look good in the chick-fil-a bowl[/quote]

One of my favorite college Uni’s was the Joey Harrington Era Oregon Uni…they have obviously gone to sh*t since then, but they do still have an awsome helmet(the green one, not those stupid white or yellow ones)

• Brad | December 11, 2007 at 6:02 pm |

• West | December 11, 2007 at 6:04 pm |

Liverpool without a shirt sponsor and with those ugly kits looked like a rec team. I wish they would have maybe put a charitable sponsor just for the one game. I’m sure Carlsberg wouldn’t be keen on that though.

• College Kid | December 11, 2007 at 6:27 pm |

[quote comment=”185187″][quote comment=”185180″]Here’s a really weird example of one college (Fort Lewis College in Colorado) using three different uniform companies – it looks like the helmet has a Nike swoosh, the jersey is Adidas, and the pants are Russell. Never seen anything like it?!

[/quote]

Nike doesn’t do helmets. Thats a Nike Visor, Riddell Helmet, Adidas jersey, and Russell Pants.[/quote]

hate to be a downer…but that’s a Schutt Air Advantage helmet
    :-)

• =bg= | December 11, 2007 at 6:30 pm |

[quote comment=”185017″]Auburn – best uniforms in college football – period.

I’d vote for Penn State..ND..and USC over Auburn.

• =bg= | December 11, 2007 at 6:32 pm |

PS There’s a new commercial for a watch company- Eli Manning on one of them, wearing a generic helmet and jersey, and the helmet has a HUGE ‘Schutt’ bumper.

• Chris | December 11, 2007 at 6:42 pm |

How about Texas A&M and Mississippi State. They look exactly the same. The only time I can remember that they’ve played is the 2000 Independence Bowl. A&M wore solid maroon and MSU wore all white, including special white helmets. Of course, they played in a nasty blizzard. I don’t know about the A&M players, but I could hardly see the MSU players on TV.

• Chris | December 11, 2007 at 6:42 pm |

Dodgers Celebrating Their Double Win

Suddenly I feel a little dirtier for writing about this topic.[/quote]

I thought the Dodgers didn’t have moon shots until they moved to the LA Coliseum.

• Perry | December 11, 2007 at 6:46 pm |

New US Men’s Away Kit

you dont follow the soccer do you? little changes happen to kits all the time, bigger changes to away kits. the identity is based on team and/or pattern. ie- inter and blue and black stripes, tottenham is white, ajax is white with a large red stripe down the middle. that is the identity. but little tweaks are made to the kits every year or every other year when a new kit is released based upon the template/technology of the time.[/quote]

• Ryan B | December 11, 2007 at 7:38 pm |

[quote comment=”185198″][quote comment=”185154″]remember he belicheat tapes that were supposedly destroyed by the nfl?

not so fast my friend[/quote]

The videos that the NFL said were destroyed were all the videos that were handed in afterward. The NFL also said that there was nothing on the tapes that would have given the Patriots a huge advantage.[/quote]

Also, are the Cubbies going to use the 1908 unies as the throwbacks?

• derek | December 11, 2007 at 7:40 pm |

Great nfl prototype helmet site here

• dw438 | December 11, 2007 at 7:47 pm |

I need a Mike Vick jersey.
    My dog needs a oui-oui pad!

• Mike Engle | December 11, 2007 at 7:50 pm |

[quote comment=”185230″]I need a Mike Vick jersey.
    My dog needs a oui-oui pad![/quote]
    Bad move. Polyester is a hydrophobic material. Get something more absorbent. I’d go for the Vick jersey t-shirt (or, in Bill Simmons’ terms, the “J-shirt”).

• Jeff McClendon | December 11, 2007 at 8:10 pm |

Best college unis IMO: Auburn (blues or whites), UCLA (Baby blues), Georgia Tech (gold jerseys).

• Failos2002 | December 11, 2007 at 8:28 pm |

Um, wasn’t Ralph Branca a white dude? That ass appears, well, not very white from where I’m sitting….

• subway | December 11, 2007 at 8:37 pm |

[quote comment=”185209″]Just saw this on a Cubs blog that the team will have its first Throw Back the Clock Night next season. Has ANYTHING changed at Wrigley since then?[/quote]
    I think you meant Turn Back instead of Throw Back the Clock but I like the way it sounds.

• Lee | December 11, 2007 at 9:25 pm |

[quote comment=”185220″][quote comment=”185193″][quote comment=”185167″]Yet another US Soccer jersey has been revealed:

New US Men’s Away Kit

I follow soccer, and he has a point WRT to the US national team and their lack of a consistent uniform identity. Generally, you can spot a lot of national teams at a glance — Argentina’s light blue and white vertical stripes, Mexico’s green, Italy’s blue, Germany’s white and black. The US has been all over the place.[/quote]

US has had white home kits since at least 1994, and before that i dont really know and since the US wasnt that good its hard to find decent pictures of them. the away kit has been blue or red, but thats less important, as the away kit for most national teams is not necessarily constant (holland’s is light blue for next summer’s Euros and was white for the last world cup).

so, ignoring those horrid blue with stars and red and white curvy stripes, the US has been for the most part, quite consistent.

• Matt | December 11, 2007 at 9:38 pm |

Iowa State’s 2008 uniforms are going to look very, very similar to USC’s.

• Johnny O | December 11, 2007 at 9:44 pm |

In case anyone is interested, Eric Gagne will be wearing #38 with the Milwaukee Brewers. This # was worn by relief pitcher Matt Wise, but he was designated for assignment the day Gagne was signed. Coincidence? I think not. (That and the fact that Wise sucked the 2nd half of the year after plunking a guy in the head)

I know Gagne wore 38 with the Dodgers and Rangers, but wore 83 with the Sox. So this news shouldn’t be that surprising, but I thought people might want to know. Anyone know why he likes #38 so much?

P.S. My prediction this upcoming year is that the Brewers win the NL Central, and go on to make the World Series. Bold…yes. Unrealistic…no.

I never thought I would see the day where the Brewers become a respected team.

• LI Phil | December 11, 2007 at 9:53 pm |

just so ya know…a)im NOT a jet fan, although i work with a rabid one; b)i’d like to see that pats go 16-0 and the fish to go 0-16; c)not a belicheat fan, nor particularly keen on the pats…my team is the g-men

• Pretty Boy Paulie | December 11, 2007 at 10:05 pm |

No Under Amour logo on the doors?
    Bring back the “TORCO” sign?

They’re gonna have to make it a “Throw back the Clock DAY” because the Cubs didn’t play at NIGHT back then.

• Mike Engle | December 11, 2007 at 10:08 pm |

[quote comment=”185255″][quote comment=”185227″]Methinks the Jet fans are starting their yapping now because they know their team will be obliterated in Foxboro come Sunday.[/quote]

the link was sent to me by said jets fan, who assured me it was ‘new and undiscovered’…i posted it without watching it…MY BAD…i SHOULD have looked at it, but i was busy at work…i apologize for that…damn co-worker…just for that imo hope the pats win 56-0 in a blizzard[/quote]
    I AM a Jets fan…I’ll be happy if we hold the Pats to double digits.

• Pretty Boy Paulie | December 11, 2007 at 10:09 pm |

The Bulls are wearing those oh so FRESH ’96 alternates again!

• Bryan Redemske | December 11, 2007 at 11:13 pm |

[quote comment=”185254″]

I never thought I would see the day where the Brewers become a respected team.[/quote]

Don’t wory — you won’t.

I’m sorry. It was really easy.

• Jeremy | December 11, 2007 at 11:20 pm |

[quote comment=”185183″]LSU’S unis are mimicked by Albany:
    LSU-PURPLE | ALBANY-PURPLE
    LSU-WHITE | ALBANY-WHITE

Yet they haven’t met on the field and I don’t see it happenning…EVER.[/quote]
    Thank you kind sir, as a student at UAlbany, I think that every time I see the Uniforms. Are you an alumnus, student, or just a fan?

• Mike Engle | December 11, 2007 at 11:24 pm |

[quote comment=”185267″][quote comment=”185254″]

Don’t wory — you won’t.

I’m sorry. It was really easy.[/quote]
    Delayed reaction of the day, right here!

• Mike King | December 11, 2007 at 11:32 pm |

Paul,
    I am sorry to hear about the oral surgery. Coincidentally, I just served on a jury deciding on a dental malpractice and negligence civil suit. I heard five days of testimony and and was exposed to a great deal of evidence. Are you having a third molar – wisdom tooth- extracted?

Whatever you are having done, good luck and I hope you have a pleasant and speedy recovery.

• Dean | December 12, 2007 at 12:31 am |

Oh what happened to in the case? I’m having all 4 wisdom teeth removed this Monday.

• kyle. | December 12, 2007 at 12:41 am |

in an article about baseball players grabbing themselves on homerderby.com there’s a great photo of jim thome in the indians’ futuristic jerseys from a ways back.
    linked.

• Josh Petty | December 12, 2007 at 2:21 am |

[quote comment=”185258″]The Bulls are wearing those oh so FRESH ’96 alternates again![/quote]

Is it me, or does the “Bulls” on the front look huge?

• Kris McInnis | December 12, 2007 at 3:33 am |

Wow… I sure did pick the wrong day to not check the site until the wee hours of the morning….

• Kris McInnis | December 12, 2007 at 5:01 am |

[quote comment=”185016″]
    I wish UT-Martin/Auburn would use the 5 stripes on their pants instead of three because then they would actually match the rest of their uniform.[/quote]

I came up with a little something to show what this suggestion would look like. I can only speak for myself and I know I’m probably speaking from the minority given everyone’s admiration for all things striped, but as an Auburn fan, that just ain’t right. Tommy Trott looks he’s trying to win Best Paint Job in a rice-rocket car club. I think the look is great for sleeves and socks and such because they don’t have to cover much distance. But when the stripes have to travel a longer area vertically, I believe it just ends up looking kinda clunky and too busy. Sacrificing total uniformity for the sake of tradition, in this case, is a good thing.

• Pedro | December 12, 2007 at 9:18 am |

New US Men’s Away Kit

As a matter of fact, I do follow “the soccer” quite closely. The examples you gave(Ajax, Inter, Spurs)are good examples of situations where little tweaks did not compromise the identity of the club. The US has been all over the place! Vertical stripes, horizontal stripes, no stripes, Nike templates, the ’94 debacle…It just never ends. Some of the jerseys that they’ve used throughout the years have been great, but they haven’t stuck.

If US soccer is to be taken seriously, they need to start with an identity that fans can rally around. The top teams have a single design that has persisted throughout many years and many manufacturer changes. Italy is always recognizable in solid blue, Brazil in solid yellow, Milan’s red and black, etc. Why can’t the US follow suit?

This article is from earlier this year, and I’m sure everyone here has seen it, but it supports my point.

• Captain Skyhawk | December 13, 2007 at 9:29 am |

The UT Martin Colors and Uniform change.
    I first would like to point out an error in the artical that Royal was only worn by about Half the teams at UT Martin, UTM’s school colors are Navy and Orange, Not orange and black, so the Tennessee uniform option is not viable. UT Martin has had a history of not having an identity, from the baby vols, to the pacers, and now Skyhawks the colors have had to evolve. 2 big oranges in TN would not work. here is a bit more Background. The Baby vols were Tennessee looking unis, the Pacers royal and orange with the 70’s and 80’s UTM wore navy. UT Martin is in a transition year of going from the Royal Pacers, to the Navy Skyhawks. As it goes why the footaball looks just like Auburn, that is simple, coaches preference . Plus if you are going to look like someone why not a winner.

• Johnny Bacardi | December 13, 2007 at 12:22 pm |

Re: the Jacksonville Teal-

I stand corrected! I sure as hell thought it was a green of some sort, and not the same shade of teal blue that the Marlins wear. They still don’t look the same to me, but after some furious Googling I guess it is!

I hate frigging teal anyway.