And He’d Better Not Wear That Stocking Cap, Either

scrooge.gif

New ESPN column today — here’s the link.

Meanwhile: While the rest of the baseball world focused on the hot stove league, the real story was on the uniform scene, where MLB exec Bob Watson announced “the Francona Rule,” which according to Watson means, “You can only wear your uniform top or jacket.” In a truly inspired elaboration that will go down as the uni-related quote of the year, Watson added, “You can’t wear your nightshirt, or whatever it is. You can wear it before games, or after games, but not during games. You have to have your uniform top at all times.”

Watson’s commentary on sleepwear notwithstanding, this means no more sweatshirt for Francona (among others), no more smock for John Gibbons, and I think Buck Showalter just cancelled his latest comeback plans.

There’s a lot of confusion and misinformation about this story and the history surrounding it. I can’t clear up all of that confusion, but I can help with some of it, FAQ-style:

Didn’t MLB and Francona butt heads over this issue a few months ago?
Yes, back in August.

So if they were already enforcing the rule then, why did they have to enact a new rule now?
Good question.

Doesn’t the rulebook already require the manager to wear a uniform, at least if he leaves the dugout and goes onto the field of play?
No. Rule 3.15 states: “No person shall be allowed on the playing field during a game except players and coaches in uniform, managers, news photographers authorized by the home team, umpires, officers of the law in uniform and watchmen or other employees of the home club.” Note that the “in uniform” stipulation is applied to coaches but not to managers.

On the other hand, I recently came across this page, which tells the story of how two beat reporters — George Lederer and Phli Collier — managed a Dodgers intrasquad game during spring training in 1964. Lederer actually donned a Dodgers uniform, but Collier skippered in civvies (you can see them both here). As the account of the game then explains:

Collier, dressed in street clothes … broke the rules when he charged onto the field to argue an umpire’s decision at second base. At this stage of the game, with the score still 1-1, Lederer was sharp enough to remind the umpires that Collier had no right to be on the field.

So this suggests that non-uniformed managers were understood to be barred from the field of play at least as early as 1964, even if the rulebook doesn’t specify this. Why? In going back over my research files, I found a 2005 listserv post by Frank Vaccaro of the Society for American Baseball Research that may shed some light on the subject:

Nearly all non-playing managers before 1900 wore civilian clothes. … [T]here was a [National League] rule in place from 1879 to 1891 preventing non-playing managers from appearing on the field. This was referred to as the “Harry Wright rule.” After he won the championship in 1878 — his sixth in seven years — this rule passed, I suppose, to give other teams a chance. Wright used to stand on the sidelines shouting orders to his players: “WAIT” to take pitches and “FACING” to hit to the opposite field, as well as the names of players who should catch flies, etc. Other teams were in a panic.

So the “Terry Francona rule” is apparently the latest version of the 128-year-old “Harry Wright rule.” I have a feeling Bob Watson doesn’t know this.

Why do managers wear uniforms anyway?
In baseball’s early days, many managers were also active players, and player/managers persisted longer than most people realize. There were three three of them as recently as the 1970s (Frank Robinson, Don Kessenger, and Joe Torre), and one in the 1980s (Pete Rose).

But Connie Mack wore a suit while managing, didn’t he?
Yes. Mack’s a bit of a red herring, though — he owned the A’s, so he wore a suit in large part because he saw himself as a businessman/executive type and dressed accordingly. For a broader analysis, let’s turn once again to Frank Vacarro’s 2005 SABR listserv post:

[T]he interesting question is “How did baseball managers evolve to become the only team leaders in sports with the tradition of wearing the team uniform?” The answer is four-fold. Nearly all managers in the 1890s were playing managers, but a 1900-1920 manager could manage in civilian clothes if:

1) He embraced the style created by the [Harry Wright rule].

2) He wanted to exude the authority of a magnate.

3) He did not want to play or to appear as a base coach.

4) He had never played baseball professionally.

By 1940 these reasons became archaic. The 1880s NL style was forgotten; managers “like magnates” did poorly; teams carried enough coaches (and players — roster sizes grew) to do all delegatable tasks; and all managers had at least some professional playing experience. Offsetting these [factors] were the layout of the grass and the diamond and the fact that a manager could participate, on any corner of the field, in pre-game activities that were low on effort but high on skill, such as hitting grounders or fungos, bullpen catching, or even pitching BP. All these contrast sharply with activities high on athleticism that characterize pre-game practice in the other sports. It’s sometimes said, rightly or wrongly, that baseball is more a game than a sport.

For good measure, Vacarro provided a list of 20th-century managers who skippered in civvies (an asterisk indicates that the manager was known to don a uniform on occasion):

• Bob Allen, Reds, 1900

• Connie Mack, A’s, 1901-1950

• Horace Fogel, Giants, 1902

• Tom Loftus, Senators, 1902-1903

• Bill Armour, Indians, 1902-1904; Tigers, 1905-1906

• Frank Selee, Cubs, 1902-1905

• Ed Barrow, Tigers, 1903-1904; Red Sox, 1918-1920

• John McClosky, Cardinals, 1906-1908*

• Hank O’Day, Reds, 1912; Cubs, 1914

• George Stallings, Braves, 1913-1920

• Hugo Bezdek, Pirates, 1917-1919

• Clark Griffith, Nationals, 1917-1920*

Branch Rickey, Cardinals, 1919-1925*

John McGraw, Giants, 1921-1932* (although he usually wore a uniform prior to 1921)

• Wilbert Robinson, Dodgers 1928-1931*

Burt Shotton, Dodgers, 1947-1950* (additional pics here, here, here, and here, plus here’s one of his game-worn dugout jackets)

It’s not clear how many of these skippers, if any, went onto the field of play during a game, but this photo shows Hank O’Day wearing spikes with his suit while managing the Cubs, suggesting that he went onto the field at some point.

But MLB doesn’t want Francona wearing a pullover even in the dugout. So when did not wearing a full uniform go from being rare to being banned?
I haven’t figured that part out yet.

Couldn’t MLB have avoided this whole mess with Francona if they hadn’t created so many different kinds of officially licensed outerwear for him and other managers to try on?
Gee, what do you think?

curry.jpg

Membership Update: Remember, today is the last day for ordering a gift membership at discounted holiday rates.

Today’s showcase card is based on the “shineboy,” the shirt worn by Alpha Phi Omega members when they run the Texas flag onto the field before Texas Longhorns football games.

Beantown Reminder: Uni Watch party tomorrow, 8:30 p.m., at Boston Beer Works. The gathering got a little preview write-up in today’s Boston Herald, plus Randy Moss is gonna stop by and explain why he keeps wearing those upside-down 8s, so come by and join us.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Wisconsin wore their long-awaited throwbacks on Monday night, and man did they look sweet, although it turns out that the beat writer for Madison’s Capital Times totally Doesn’t Get It™ (with thanks to Nicole Haase). … Expect to see lots of NBA throwbacks beginning this Friday. Details here. … Duke guard DeMarcus Nelson is wearing some interesting kicks. Details here (with thanks to intern emeritus Vince Grzegorek). … Awesome female Black Fives photo and info here. … Spectacular discovery by Jared Wheeler, who found a shot of Magic Johnson from the 1980 NBA All-Star Game with two initials on his NOB! … Jeff Meyers, who works for the independent Ft. Worth Cats, informs me that the team has a cat eyes alternate jersey. Look closely and you’ll see that the pupils actually spell out “F” and “W.”

165 comments to And He’d Better Not Wear That Stocking Cap, Either

• ryan c #40 | December 5, 2007 at 8:08 am |

WOW! Early one today Paul! Sweet!

• Todd | December 5, 2007 at 8:12 am |

With all the talk about manager’s uniforms, how about a round of applause for Bobby Cox, who wears a full uniform, complete with stirrups AND spikes for every single game.

for example

• LI Phil | December 5, 2007 at 8:13 am |

[quote]Awesome female Black Fives photo and info here.[/quote]

don imus unavailable for comment

• Robert | December 5, 2007 at 8:15 am |

I can’t tell whether I prefer the featureless cowhead on Texas’ helmets or the faced cow on the Alpha Phi Omega shirts.

• scott | December 5, 2007 at 8:29 am |

Are they really calling this “The Francona Rule”?

• Kyle K. | December 5, 2007 at 8:38 am |

Those cat eyes look more like bra cups from a distance. Could be somewhat weird for some of their heavier players.

• […] Original post by Photo-Frames.net – Best Frames For Your Photos […]

• marc | December 5, 2007 at 8:50 am |

• ryan c #40 | December 5, 2007 at 8:58 am |

Did anybody catch the wings vs. habs game last night? Late in the game they did a quick shot of the fans. There were 2 guys standing, clapping (I think it was right after the Zetterberg goal). Well, one had the traditional red wings jersey… one, no joke, had a BLUE red wings jersey with totally red sleeves. Lol. I didn’t get a screen shot! And I’m SURE it wasn’t a canadiens jersey!!!

And lastly, I went to the Penguins game Monday night and saw, by far, the WORST knock-off Crosby jersey I’ve ever seen! Unless the guy did it as a joke, Crosby’s name was vertically arched on the back (much like the red wings do), and the numbers were totally the wrong font/text… I threw up in my mouth…

And, amazingly (not amazingly, i’m kind of a tool), not one picture from me! I’m kind of a new member so this won’t happen in the future! Ha-ha. Well…

• Boston Nick | December 5, 2007 at 9:06 am |

I’m hoping I can stop by the UniWatch meet for a second on Thursday, but unfortunately, the second job prevents me from knowing for sure, and if I do, I’ll be wearing the mediocre (at best) uniform of Night Owl Deliveries, rather than the likely choice of a BU alternate (complete with ketchup stains, and unfortunate addition considering I don’t like ketchup and never use it on food…at least on a hockey jersey it kinda looks like a blood stain, and that’s completely acceptable).

• mg12 | December 5, 2007 at 9:17 am |

article[/quote]

Washburn Helmet[/quote]

• Eriq Jaffe | December 5, 2007 at 9:17 am |

I wonder what MLB would make of Don Cooper’s short-sleeved windbreaker thing, as it’s not the standard dugout jacket, but it’s not a jersey either, although it does have his number on the back. I haven’t seen another coach wearing that same style, and Coop’s been wearing it for years now.

• Cosmo | December 5, 2007 at 9:22 am |

GREAT socks on display at the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show last night:

• Stuby | December 5, 2007 at 9:23 am |

• Stuby | December 5, 2007 at 9:25 am |

The USA Today article is also online.

• Mark in Shiga | December 5, 2007 at 9:29 am |

Just imagine how cool Hank O’Day would have looked managing the 1914 Cubs in his suit, but with the now-wildly-popular road cap of the fantastic 1914 road uniform.

Perhaps that cap was too cute-looking for a man of his age to wear.

• todd krevanchi | December 5, 2007 at 9:32 am |

you want serious heat? go out to the galen center where oj majo is wearing a pair of id zoom kobe ii’s with the personalization “juice mayo”,
    or head to the nba where a bunch of guys in the nike stable are wearing some nice aj viii PE’s. basically its the same bunch of guys who at the end of last year wore aj v PE’s.

• Greg | December 5, 2007 at 9:34 am |

• Shaeff | December 5, 2007 at 9:41 am |

• todd krevanchi | December 5, 2007 at 9:41 am |

Gee, what do you think?

anything can be licensed to sell, but not everything can be approved for on-field use.

approving certain garments as appropriate on-field gear beyond the uniform, and then saying that you cant wear it is a bit hypocritical, no?

• Chance | December 5, 2007 at 9:43 am |

[quote comment=”181917″]How about instead of worrying about managers, the MLB get the players to button up their shirts and not look like they just crawled out of bed.[/quote]

It isn’t either/or.

Perhaps this is the start of MLB actually enforcing uniform regulations across the board. He’s to hoping.

• John | December 5, 2007 at 9:46 am |

Are you serious about Randy Moss?

• Paul Lukas | December 5, 2007 at 9:50 am |

• todd krevanchi | December 5, 2007 at 9:54 am |

Here’s what I want for Christmas: I want people to come up with new terms for “tool” and “threw up in my mouth,” both of which I hope never to see in the comments section ever again.[/quote]

adding to that list,
    the singular and plural forms of
    monstrosity
    abomination

• Stuby | December 5, 2007 at 9:57 am |

adding to that list,
    the singular and plural forms of
    monstrosity
    abomination[/quote]
    Are ‘God-awful’ and ‘eyesore’ still OK?

• Paul | December 5, 2007 at 9:58 am |

I think this rule is stupid. I’ve coached high school and JUCO ball and 90 percent(including myself) dont wear jerseys. In fact, I’ve gone entire seasons without putting on my jersey while coaching. There was a similar issue in college baseball a couple years ago. They made it a rule that you had to wear a jersey in order to coach the bases. In fact, Tony Gwynn got ejected from a game because of it. I think they decided to get rid of the rule for the upcoming season.

• Robin | December 5, 2007 at 10:04 am |

*Standing ovation*

Most overused phrases ever, maybe second only to “Overrated”

• Mike Engle | December 5, 2007 at 10:09 am |

[quote comment=”181928″][quote comment=”181923″][quote comment=”181918″]That longhorn card makes me a little sick to my stomach. In fact, I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.[/quote]

*Standing ovation*

Most overused phrases ever, maybe second only to “Overrated”[/quote]
    All I want for Christmas is some good Chinese food with my friends.
    Happy Hanukkah, everybody!

• Paul Lukas | December 5, 2007 at 10:10 am |

*Standing ovation*

Most overused phrases ever, maybe second only to “Overrated”[/quote]

OK, I know I started it, but now I’m also going to end it: Let’s not turn today’s discussion into a running gripe session about the quality of the dialogue. Thanks.

• Paul Lukas | December 5, 2007 at 10:12 am |

[quote comment=”181929″]Happy Hanukkah, everybody![/quote]

Whoa, major oversight on my part — Happy Hanukkah indeed!

• LI Phil | December 5, 2007 at 10:14 am |

Whoa, major oversight on my part — Happy Hanukkah indeed![/quote]

and festivus for the rest of us ;)

• Matt Powers | December 5, 2007 at 10:16 am |

Todd, Nelson has been wearing the Blue XIII’s since he’s been at Duke. I don’t care for Mayo but his shoe game is noticeable. Your name sounds familiar, but if you want to check out some serious PE’s check out my former favorite site:

• Rick | December 5, 2007 at 10:19 am |

To make this Uni related, Can’t we all agree that Maroon is a far superior color to burnt orange??[/quote]

Uh … no. Burnt Orange is lots better than moron. :)

• todd krevanchi | December 5, 2007 at 10:25 am |

[quote comment=”181933″]nelson has been wearing xii’s for years now. i dont know why this is only being mentioned now.

yeah, i know about that site. i helped start it in 1999 as 1 of the original 4 administrators(check out the uri on my name)

• Marty Met | December 5, 2007 at 10:25 am |

[quote comment=”181926″][quote comment=”181925″][quote comment=”181923″][quote comment=”181918″]That longhorn card makes me a little sick to my stomach. In fact, I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.[/quote]

adding to that list,
    the singular and plural forms of
    monstrosity
    abomination[/quote]
    Are ‘God-awful’ and ‘eyesore’ still OK?[/quote]

They are when discussing the Yankees uniforms

• Beefalo | December 5, 2007 at 10:26 am |

[quote comment=”181911″]The USA Today article is also online.[/quote]

Interesting to see that Chris Osgood had to put red tape over the old Cooper logo on the forehead and a Nike/Bauer logo sticker over the front Cooper logo on his helmet. (Its picture 10 in the sequence.)

Man, seeing Nike/Bauer stickers on his helmet made me throw up in my mouth a little…jeez, he is such an overrated tool! (sorry, Paul, should have resisted but couldn’t–I’ll go to my room now.)

• Paul Lukas | December 5, 2007 at 10:26 am |

Today’s ESPN column is up.

• Jim | December 5, 2007 at 10:26 am |

All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth….

• devin | December 5, 2007 at 10:29 am |

[quote comment=”181934″][quote comment=”181918″]That longhorn card makes me a little sick to my stomach. In fact, I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Uh … no. Burnt Orange is lots better than moron. :)[/quote]

There are two ways to make Maroon:

Take Burnt Orange and burn it more

OR – (the Aggie way)

Take purple and add black. That should be a UniWatch sin.

• scott | December 5, 2007 at 10:37 am |

Don’t care much for the Fort Worth Cats “cat eyes” jersey, but their regular cap is one of the best in the minor leagues because it hearkens back to what the team wore in the 1940s and 1950s as a Dodgers affiliate:

It’s such a classy look.

• rc | December 5, 2007 at 10:41 am |

Most of the top European soccer league manangers wear suits on the field, and it does not seem that a baseball field in the summer is any dirtier than a wet pitch in England in November.

Jose Mourinho

• ampersand | December 5, 2007 at 10:44 am |

• LI Phil | December 5, 2007 at 10:45 am |

absolutely OUTSTANDING holiday gift column today paul…i want it all and i want it now

im guessing, however that some will not see the humor in this shirt, which you identified as the perfect chanukkah gift…couple that with a “afros” or “stacks” cap and let the holiday merriment begin

• Rich | December 5, 2007 at 10:48 am |

Great, now that the managers’ uniform issues are taken care of, all MLB has to do is require players to wear THEIR uniforms properly. Pants UP, socks AND stirrups, instead of this garbage.

• GoTerriers | December 5, 2007 at 10:55 am |

[quote comment=”181948″]it’s a happy/sad day for the detroit tigers…it looks like brandon inge and his socks are on the way out as willis and cabrera move in with their jammy pants. sigh.[/quote]

Actually it’s an even swap . . . Dontrelle wears ’em high.
    No stirrups, though . . .

• Justin B | December 5, 2007 at 10:56 am |

All I want for Christmas is this. Perhaps signed by the person in the photo. Great Article Paul.

• Dane | December 5, 2007 at 11:05 am |

[quote comment=”181899″]Also, at the Steelers game Sunday night, I saw a lady wearing a Steelers jersey with like every classic number in Steelers history. They were the size of the tv numbers and ran horizontal around the jersey like a stripe (with no spaces or separation between the numbers)!
    [/quote]

Yeah, these “Greats of the Century” jerseys need to disappear. Like, yesterday.

Especially when they pick players from 4 DIFFERENT teams!!!

• Rick | December 5, 2007 at 11:05 am |

[quote comment=”181947″][quote comment=”181896″]that was a really interesting, well researched story. Good job. As a baseball coach myself, I always wondered that. I always figured wearing anything other than a uniform would look silly. A suit would get dirty on the field[/quote]

Jose Mourinho

Now with that said, I couldn’t imagine how weird it woudl look for a baseball manager to wear a suit. The baseball managers uniform is ingrained in our society.[/quote]

I think that is a fairly recent development in soccer. I know that the UEFA’s champions league now requires managers to wear suites during European cup games. However some 10 to 15 years ago it most of them would wear warm-up/training sweat while coaching, at least in the Dutch league.
    But pretty much anything was okay then. I remember a manager in the German Bundesliga who would wear jeans and a leather jacket for every game. And Jackie Charlton coached the Ireland national team at the European championships in 1988 wearing the same shorts his players were wearing, and even donned soccer shoes.

Soccer seems to go in the opposite direction from baseball, I think. But then again, when a soccer coach ever gets onto the playing field/pitch during a game, inappropriate clothing is the least of his problems. He’s probably going to be ejected anyway.

• skott daltonic | December 5, 2007 at 11:05 am |

perfect gift for paul:

• Paul P | December 5, 2007 at 11:06 am |

• mj | December 5, 2007 at 11:06 am |

• Mike | December 5, 2007 at 11:08 am |

The Ft. Worth jersey is my new favorite in any league.

• Mike | December 5, 2007 at 11:09 am |

[quote comment=”181960″]Is Randy Moss really going to Boston Beer Works tomorrow night? Plan on going anyway, but man that would be cool…[/quote]
    Haha people, people…OBVIOUSLY a joke.

• Duckstyle | December 5, 2007 at 11:11 am |

article[/quote]

Washburn Helmet[/quote][/quote]

• My name is not Earl | December 5, 2007 at 11:14 am |

• Nick | December 5, 2007 at 11:15 am |

Those FtW Cats unis are unfortunate for a baseball team, not so much in other arenas.

• My name is not Earl | December 5, 2007 at 11:16 am |

• Phil | December 5, 2007 at 11:22 am |

Geez, kids today. I remember when I couldn’t get a CFL uniform on my card.

• Matt Lake | December 5, 2007 at 11:23 am |

I think that looks great, and I wish it would happen more often. I’m not a fan of teams wearing white, especially at home [baseball excluded]. To me, it’s about wearing the team colors proudly and having the fans follow suit.

• LI Phil | December 5, 2007 at 11:27 am |

you are talking about the unis, right?

• Robin | December 5, 2007 at 11:28 am |

[quote comment=”181959″]with the discussion of numbers on baseball pants last week, here is a photo of an LSU player in the the early 60s

links didn’t work, I wanted to see these. Oh well

• Duckstyle | December 5, 2007 at 11:32 am |

[quote comment=”181969″][quote comment=”181966″]Photo evidence of the dark-on-dark matchup between the two Tennessee universities.[/quote]

For example, if I were running Syracuse hoops, I’d have them wear orange every game. It’s their freaking name, after all. Having them wear white at home full of Orange fans seems stupid to me.[/quote]

No way. There’s gotta be a rule enforced. Doesn’t anyone remember the Illinois-Wisonsin fisasco a couple years back. The Illini in orange, the Badgers in red, it was ridiculous. Even the broadcasters were confusing players and they’re 15 feet away! I’d personally prefer the usual route of having colored unis at home, white on the road. then you can still have the home fans match the team with black-out nights or whatever floats-your-boat.

• SWC Susan (aka Tex) | December 5, 2007 at 11:34 am |

Not to be a nitpick, but I have to say that I am a little dissappointed the Alpha Phi Omega did not have the seam above the logo. It is a button down, after all…

• Kek | December 5, 2007 at 11:35 am |

[quote comment=”181964″]Last night, UT-Chattanooga wore its road black uniforms at home against Tennessee. UT-Knoxville wore its road orange jerseys. Not quite as bad as that game where the Vols wore orange and West Virginia wore gold, but I think the NCAA needs to adopt a rule like the high school governing body and mandate that that the home team in a basketball game must wear white.[/quote]
    I respectfully disagree. I think as long as the colors contrast enough, there should be no rule and wearing of the team colors should be encouraged. Sure, white/yellow, yellow/orange, etc shouldn’t be allowed, but if the colors clash, go with it.

The “City Game” between Pitt and Duquesne is tonight. A few years back when the Dukes had the home game I remember them wearing red jerseys while Pitt wore their normal navy road kit. I think it looked great and I hope they do it again tonight.

• DonD | December 5, 2007 at 11:36 am |

New uniforms for inmates in SCC Department of corrections

• Johnny O | December 5, 2007 at 11:37 am |

Whoa, major oversight on my part — Happy Hanukkah indeed![/quote]

and festivus for the rest of us ;)[/quote]

Actually, Festivus is celebrated on December 23rd. My friends and I have been formally celebrating it formally since 1999. Complete with airing of grievances, feats of strength, and Seinfeld themed food. (i.e. eat snickers with our knives and forks, black and white cookies, calzones, and my favorite… cinnamon babka.)

Everyone should check out the Festivus book by Allen Salkin. It’s pretty cool.

• Gary | December 5, 2007 at 11:38 am |

Number 14 on the Memphis BBall team has a surname of Douglas-Roberts, which has 14 letters. coincidence i think not

• todd krevanchi | December 5, 2007 at 11:38 am |

interestingly enough, i did request for christmas the lehigh valley iron pigs therma base fleece (the same therma base fleece which is now banned from manager wear).

i certainly hope next season when im at games, i can wear it without consequence, in addition to calling its mascot pork chop.

• Justin B | December 5, 2007 at 11:39 am |

Thanks from everyone.

• scott | December 5, 2007 at 11:40 am |

Whites at home is a basketball tradition. Let’s not mess too much with tradition. If teams want to occasionally break out a dark color for home, I guess I’m OK with it. But all the time? Nope.

• B. Hill | December 5, 2007 at 11:52 am |

Decided to drop Rob Schultz (the Non-Getting It author of the Wisconsin throwback game article a line.) I’ll keep you posted of the response. Of course I sent him the link to this site! :)

• Matt from L.A. | December 5, 2007 at 11:57 am |

That final bumper entry on ESPN.com about Pacific Lutheran was great to see. I played against Pac Lu when I played at Azusa Pacific and their coach Frosty Westering came up with that phrase and from what I heard about him, those who played for him loved to play for him and he got the most out of them.

They also had a rallying cry after the games I’m not sure how it went but it was inspirational to hear it even as an opponent. Any Pacific Lutheran players out there?

• dm00n [Doug] | December 5, 2007 at 11:59 am |

Maybe this has been posted here before:

The NFL Shop refused to sell jerseys with the word “Gay” on the back of them in 2005. It was one of 1,159 words on the shop’s banned list. The decision was myopic, as one of the players wore that moniker every week. Randall Gay, a then-rookie defensive back with the New England Patriots, sported his name on his jersey.

Yet family members and fans were initially unable to buy replica Gay jerseys because his name was actually a banned word. The NFL Shop eventually recognized the error and allowed Gay jerseys to be sold, but it looked foolish by initially refusing to sell replica jerseys for a player in the league.

I should look for the banned words list. I mean, who is going to spend all that money to order a jersey with the colors and number of a player they don’t like and put “GAY” on the back?

• dm00n [Doug] | December 5, 2007 at 12:00 pm |

Oops, forgot the Gay jerseys link.

• dm00n [Doug] | December 5, 2007 at 12:01 pm |

Oops screwed up the Gay jerseys link.

• Chance | December 5, 2007 at 12:02 pm |

article[/quote]

Washburn Helmet[/quote][/quote]

It’s official, Wisconsin has nothing better to do then sue people. This logo isn’t the same. Is it a W, yes, but that’s about it. Do they plan on sueing the president for all the W bumper stickers now too. UW’s legal department is a joke.[/quote]

Hate to break it to you, but Wisconsin has a legitimate beef.

Washburn started out using Wisconsin’s Motion W, then when served with a cease-and-desist took it into Illustrator and made a couple modifications. Maybe they actually believed the whole “change 25% and the design is magically yours” myth, but in any case it still infringes, and Wisconsin still has the legal right (and obligation) to ask them to stop.

Theft is theft.

• Eric | December 5, 2007 at 12:09 pm |

[/quote]

• Quint | December 5, 2007 at 12:13 pm |

Whoa, major oversight on my part — Happy Hanukkah indeed![/quote]

and festivus for the rest of us ;)[/quote]

Everyone should check out the Festivus book by Allen Salkin. It’s pretty cool.

And to make this post uni-related. I love Wisconsin’s retro socks, but does anyone have an old school pic. of when they did actually wear those? I think I have seen em on here a few times but am not sure.[/quote]
    Do you also have a Festivus pole?

• jere | December 5, 2007 at 12:15 pm |

[quote comment=”181894″]
    i don’t think francona (or any coach) should be “barred” from wearing a smock…BUT…he MUST have his full uni on underneath

i think they were busting tito’s chops not because of the nightshirt itself (many coaches have been flouting this “rule” for a while) but the fact that francona feels his ‘circulation’ *coughbullshitcough* problems deem him above having to wear the full uni[/quote]

• Taha | December 5, 2007 at 12:16 pm |

The “E.M. Johnson” from the 1980 All-star game is interesting. There were a handful of Johnsons in that game, incuding Earvin, Marques, Dennis, and ‘Fast Eddie’ who played for the Hawks. Granted, Magic and Eddie were on different teams (east and west) but perhaps this was to distinguish between the two.

• dm00n [Doug] | December 5, 2007 at 12:19 pm |

(Of course some pendant will point out it is actually the 98th anniversary!)

• Rick | December 5, 2007 at 12:21 pm |

article[/quote]

Washburn Helmet[/quote][/quote]

Hate to break it to you, but Wisconsin has a legitimate beef.

Theft is theft.[/quote]

• LI Phil | December 5, 2007 at 12:24 pm |

[quote comment=”182000″][quote comment=”181894″]

So you think he made up a story because he really likes wearing a certain type of clothing. This is a guy with known health problems. He’s also a guy a doesn’t take any shit and wouldn’t even have time to think up an excuse for why he wears what he wears, let alone worry about keeping up the “lie.” I can’t even believe that Watson would mock someone like that, especially in some kind of official statement. I think now Tito’s should wear headbands with little messages mocking Yankee Bob all season long.[/quote]

a gentleman i used to work with had either a portion of or an entire lung removed due to cancer, and ya know what, he STILL wore a full suit to work everyday

and oh yeah, he needed a VENTILATOR to breathe…used to wheel this contraption into the building every day (and up stairs, since the building was non-ADA compliant)…

so…boo f’ckn hoo on francona (an everyone else who won’t wear the full uni)

“yankee” bob…priceless…you dead sox fans are amazing

• Duckstyle | December 5, 2007 at 12:26 pm |

article[/quote]

Washburn Helmet[/quote][/quote]

Hate to break it to you, but Wisconsin has a legitimate beef.

Theft is theft.[/quote]

Dude, you’re ridiculous. Is your last name actually “Theman”?

• Hama | December 5, 2007 at 12:27 pm |

[/quote]

How long has it been since Nike/Bauer rebranded all the Cooper stuff? As in, just how old is that helmet? And what happens when that thing breaks, how does he get a new SK2000, do they even make those? Or will he follow Dom’s and Tim Thomas’ route and go with a mage…[/quote]

• Patrick | December 5, 2007 at 12:38 pm |

This is horrible, but I have to say that this is really, really nice.

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | December 5, 2007 at 12:41 pm |

[quote comment=”182005″]Accoding to this source, it is not only Hanukkah, but today is the 98th anniversary of numbers on football jerseys.

(Of course some pendant will point out it is actually the 98th anniversary!)[/quote]

then today in the our UNIverse, has to be some sort of major holiday.
    May 16 is New Years Eve
    May 17 is New Years Day

any others?

• Moose | December 5, 2007 at 12:43 pm |

article[/quote]

Washburn Helmet[/quote][/quote]

• fun bobby | December 5, 2007 at 12:46 pm |
  • Moose | December 5, 2007 at 12:47 pm |

[quote comment=”182006″][quote comment=”181994″][quote comment=”181963″][quote comment=”181907″]Another report of Wisconsin suing a school for use of their trademarked “W”. This time it is Washburn University in Topeka, Kansas.

article[/quote]

Washburn Helmet[/quote][/quote]

Hate to break it to you, but Wisconsin has a legitimate beef.

Theft is theft.[/quote]

_ell, since _isconsin uses several different logos _ith the letter _, maybe _e need to all stop using that letter. I think I’ll send a letter to all of the congressmen and senators in _ashington D.C. I certainly _ould not _ant to be sued by _isconsin for using their letter. I have to go change my last name to _hite now.[/quote]

You could do that, but then a raging large fiasco would ensue. I would imagine, no matter hard Congress tried, it would be very, VERY difficult for them to repeal copyright laws. Chaos would ensue.

• fun bobby | December 5, 2007 at 12:51 pm |
  • Matt Berry | December 5, 2007 at 12:52 pm |

• Philly Bill | December 5, 2007 at 1:00 pm |

In this image from “MLB Game Worn Jerseys of the Double Knit Era (1970-2007)”, look at the Wes Helms jersey at the bottom.

It looks like a mashup of vertical and radial arching… and it looks like total poo. Was that worn in an actual game?

• Philly Bill | December 5, 2007 at 1:02 pm |

Spam is getting through to the comment thread, by my posts ain’t. Boo!

• Fez Whatley | December 5, 2007 at 1:11 pm |

[quote comment=”182009″][quote comment=”181998″][quote comment=”181940″][quote comment=”181911″]The USA Today article is also online.[/quote]

[/quote]

The Cooper name hasn’t been used for hockey for about 10 years. As far as the SK2000s go, I think I remember hearing that when they were being discountinued that he bought up a pile of them for reserve. If not, he is probably getting them re-padded every few months. I never understood the attachment to those helmets, I never found them to be particularly comfortable[/quote]
    Waaaaaaayyy off.

The current red Sk he’s wearing actually was located in Russia when a bunch of Red Wings went over for Igor’s celebration.

Cool story.

I think he’s currently looking for lids from the hockey community through an ad in the magazine ‘Gaolie’s World’. Similar path that Artie Irbe took looking for his Jofa helmet and masks.

The biggest problem isn’t the SK2000 (and I’m suprised that he’s wearing a Small) it’s the retired HM30 cages that are thinner than coat hanger wire and haven’t been sold for a few years now. One shot will dent that cage.

• Robert | December 5, 2007 at 1:13 pm |

[quote comment=”181999″][quote comment=”181977″][quote comment=”181932″][quote comment=”181931″][quote comment=”181929″]Happy Hanukkah, everybody![/quote]

Whoa, major oversight on my part — Happy Hanukkah indeed![/quote]

and festivus for the rest of us ;)[/quote]

Everyone should check out the Festivus book by Allen Salkin. It’s pretty cool.

Do you also have a Festivus pole?[/quote]

I have one. It is next to the Christmas tree.

• Joey Guns | December 5, 2007 at 1:17 pm |

Definitely looks like a photoshop.

ESPN.com: http://assets.espn.g...

Tigers website:

• Fez Whatley | December 5, 2007 at 1:18 pm |

Don’t hate on the Francona sweatshirts until you have actually worn them.

I wear them all the time now too.

fantastic and really, really comfortable.

There’s a reason why almost every player wears them.

• James Craven | December 5, 2007 at 1:34 pm |

Sixers to wear their 1982-83 throwbacks tonight against the Celtics the the arena formerly known as the Stone Cold Steve Austin Center (the FU Center), who they did not meet in the playoffs that year. The Olde Towne Hoopsters were KO’d by Milwaukee in the Eastern Conference semifinals that year.

• LI Phil | December 5, 2007 at 1:36 pm |

let me just clear the air with one thing on tito…i LIKE the man, so im certainly not bustn on him or his wardrobe…but it’s the so-called ‘francona rule’ so he may appear to be a target…

my problem is with ANYONE who DOESN’T feel the need to wear the uni for whatever reason (bs “circulation issues” included)…christ, willie randolph was able to wear the uni under his sling for 1/4th of last season…if “circulation issues” are so bad you can’t wear the uni, then perhaps you shouldn’t be managing…i don’t feel that’s the case, and im sure tito would never use it as an excuse either…more power to him

if you don’t like the rule that you have to wear a uni, then biotch about that; but until it’s changed, its still a rule…don’t think “yankee bob” has a personal vendetta against the sawks

• Mets Fan in Chicago | December 5, 2007 at 1:58 pm |

[quote comment=”181910″]The USA Today Sports section today dedicates 2 1/2 pages to the artwork on goalie masks. I haven’t had a chance to read it all, but it looks pretty interesting.

The most disturbing mask: Dallas Stars goalie Mike Smith with a Garth Brooks homage.[/quote]
    Agreed on the Mike Smith mask, but dig the Hannu Toivonen model (# 19 in the gallery)!

• ryan c #40 | December 5, 2007 at 1:59 pm |

Ok, ok, instead of using “tool” and “threw up in my mouth,” which I am guilty of using both (thanks for picking on me paul. Ha-ha). Can we say:

“I saw some freaky jerseys, but I’m kind of a “he hate me” when it comes to taking pictures or screen shots. Blah, blah, blah.”

Or…

“geez, that look is so ugly… I just “purpled” all over my shirt!”

Ha-ha!

p.s.
    I know they’re stupid… don’t kill me for it *wink*

• todd krevanchi | December 5, 2007 at 2:12 pm |

reading over at si.com about the iron pigs mascot naming mess
    and i came across the 10 spot in which non other than uniwatchblog reader anthony verna gets a shout!

• Chris A | December 5, 2007 at 2:16 pm |

• Taha | December 5, 2007 at 2:21 pm |

[quote comment=”181999″]
    Do you also have a Festivus pole?[/quote]

My festivus pole used to serve as my satellite dish holder when I lived in an apartment — aluminum pole in a concrete-filled 10-gallon bucket. In the summer, it currently serves as a planter.

Festivus yes, bagels no!

• Mike Engle | December 5, 2007 at 2:24 pm |

Can you think of any other “consistently inconsistent” jersey set?
    The Blue Jays introduced this current new look three years ago. Year 2: they ditched the gray hat. Year 3: they introduced the alternate black T hat. Now Year 4: new roadies with the back font carried over. Always something new.

• Dan | December 5, 2007 at 2:32 pm |

i thought we already had something for throw up in my mouth… Vurp

• Shane | December 5, 2007 at 2:48 pm |

[quote comment=”182065″][quote comment=”182062″]Looking back at yesterday’s picture, Accardo is wearing the new Toronto visitor’s jersey, with all 3 of last year’s jerseys in the background. The font of the number “4” on the new jersey does not match the font of the number “4” on last years. Will Toronto change the font for their numbers? On the back too? On both home and away jerseys?[/quote]
    Can you think of any other “consistently inconsistent” jersey set?
    (Hmmm, come to think of it, for a while, the White Sox changed their socks every year…)[/quote]

Mariners have gone through that, adding the silver billed hat (best SI cover ever), ditching it, ditching the green billed hat, adding vests, gone with the vest, the beautiful teal 3rd jersey, the navy one now that used to only be worn at home but goes on the road. That said, compared to the Jays especially, the style remains the same and all of their jerseys have looked pretty damn good. I really love the M’s colors/logo/uni’s/hats/whatever.

Paul, you’re on and on about the Jags uni’s being the new classics of the NFL. Not many MLB uni’s look better than this, and not many players made it look better than Edgar.

• Mets Fan in Chicago | December 5, 2007 at 2:49 pm |

[quote comment=”182068″][quote comment=”181923″][quote comment=”181918″]That longhorn card makes me a little sick to my stomach. In fact, I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.[/quote]

i thought we already had something for throw up in my mouth… Vurp[/quote]

Can we also put a moratorium on ‘amazing’? C’mon, folks….not EVERYTHING needs to be described as ‘amazing’ – get thee to a thesaurus, for cryin’ in a hankie ;-)

• todd krevanchi | December 5, 2007 at 2:49 pm |

any readers here who live in st. louis?
    i need a good merchandise store for cardinals gear.
    the red sox have a great one in http://yawkeywaystor...
    i was just curious if there is a similar “towny” merch store in st louis…
    any help?

• Thorold Blair | December 5, 2007 at 2:50 pm |

i thought we already had something for throw up in my mouth… Vurp[/quote]

We do have something instead of “throw up in my mouth”. It’s called conversing like an adult.

• My name is not Earl | December 5, 2007 at 2:52 pm |

[quote comment=”181971″][quote comment=”181966″]Photo evidence of the dark-on-dark matchup between the two Tennessee universities.[/quote]

you are talking about the unis, right?[/quote]

I should have said “black on orange.” Sorry.

• Duckstyle | December 5, 2007 at 2:53 pm |

• Rick | December 5, 2007 at 3:08 pm |

[quote comment=”182082″]Are you kidding? The “W” looks the exact same but with an outline. You’re a day late on this discussion anyways. Things are copyrighted for a reason.[/quote]

No, actually I was in on the very same discussion yesterday as well. Like Chance already stated earlier, even small changes, 25% is the number he used, can very easily hold up in court(this part he left out), I did a bit of research, aka asking a our resident intellectual property expert here at work and he said that percentage might actually be a little high. He also said that if the school did, in a seemingly insignificant way, change the logo by flattening the bottom, a couple angles on the top, and adding an outline, that it probably would have zero effect on any futre cases arguing against the people that are really stealing from UW, aka selling bogus t-shirts etc. Showing they made that school comply by changing their logo would probably stand up as showing obediance to their trademark. Basically UW is ridiculous. Is ridiculous my favorite word today? Yep. I’ll stop filling up the comments with any more banter on this topic. And I apologize to anyone I might have been jerkish(realizing its not a word but not caring) to. I just like arguing, reliving my debate team days in school I guess.[/quote]

Forgive me, but, are you saying that Washburn will probably win because they changed their logo?

• Duckstyle | December 5, 2007 at 3:14 pm |

• Chance | December 5, 2007 at 3:17 pm |

Source for this?

• Joey Guns | December 5, 2007 at 3:44 pm |

[quote comment=”182093″]God, who knows, Rick. I’d like to think so as I love seeing the little guy win, Yes I’m laughing it up about Travis Henry today too. But I am wrong about half the time. Or at least that’s what my fiance says.

I’m sure I’m at least 2 days late with this news. But does anyone know what their unis will look like?[/quote]

No, but they can’t be any worse than the Cardinals and Indians uniforms this past year!

• Jeff P | December 5, 2007 at 3:51 pm |

Source for this?

The conclusion we had last time this topic came up was: if you start with somebody else’s logo, you can never make it your own, no matter what percent you change it.[/quote]
    the thing is, that’s probably not legally accurate.

• Chance | December 5, 2007 at 3:54 pm |

Source for this?

the thing is, that’s probably not legally accurate.[/quote]

I dunno, didn’t we have a legal opinion last time?

It makes sense, though. So long as a reasonable person might confuse the two, there is infringement. If that’s the standard, which it reportedly is.

If you have to change it so much that there’s no chance of confusing the two, you might as well start from scratch.

• El Santo | December 5, 2007 at 3:56 pm |

• Dennis Abrams | December 5, 2007 at 4:00 pm |

This Cat has a helmet logo while the other doesn’t.

• todd krevanchi | December 5, 2007 at 4:18 pm |

“I don’t know if you know this but dolphins ain’t fish. They is like us, they is mammaries.”

• Leo | December 5, 2007 at 4:26 pm |

any readers here who live in st. louis?
    i need a good merchandise store for cardinals gear.
    the red sox have a great one in http://yawkeywaystor
    i was just curious if there is a similar “towny” merch store in st louis…
    any help?

• Moose | December 5, 2007 at 4:34 pm |

And once again…..UW is no more ridiculous than any other entity that avails itself of our fine nation’s copyright laws. That’s why they are in place.

• LI Phil | December 5, 2007 at 4:40 pm |

• Nitemare | December 5, 2007 at 5:01 pm |

• Stuby | December 5, 2007 at 5:04 pm |

I know the Mavs wear a star there. I think more teams are starting to do it.

• Mike Engle | December 5, 2007 at 5:04 pm |

Steve Nash, the league’s MP3

• Stuby | December 5, 2007 at 5:07 pm |

I know the Mavs wear a star there. I think more teams are starting to do it.[/quote]
    Warriors have a little lightning bolt there.

• Anthony Verna | December 5, 2007 at 5:12 pm |

[quote comment=”182100″][quote comment=”182098″][quote comment=”182094″][quote comment=”182082″]Like Chance already stated earlier, even small changes, 25% is the number he used, can very easily hold up in court(this part he left out),[/quote]

Source for this?

the thing is, that’s probably not legally accurate.[/quote]

I dunno, didn’t we have a legal opinion last time?

I’m still waiting for anyone to document the claim that a logo changed 25% “can very easily hold up in court”.[/quote]

I’ll jump in again. We’re talking trademarks (which I might know something about). Trademarks exist to show that a logo/name/wordmark/sound comes from a business. You understand the quality of the goods (or services) that come from the purveyor of those goods or services.

If a business (and that’s a loose term here as non-profits are businesses) start using a mark from another business in the same industry, there is a presumptive belief that it causes consumer confusion. Why? Because then consumers are unable to tell what the quality and source of those goods or services are.

Here’s a question – if I did a trademark and copyright seminar in NYC, who would come to it? I’d do it one morning for 2 hours.

• steve | December 5, 2007 at 5:13 pm |

• Mike Engle | December 5, 2007 at 5:18 pm |

[quote comment=”182124″][quote comment=”182121″][quote comment=”182120″]Are the Boston Celtices the only team to wear a LOB (logo on back)? They added the little shamrock over the name a couple of years ago.[/quote]
    Warriors have a little lightning bolt there.[/quote]
    The Cavaliers have the C-sword, the Kings have a crown, the Hawks have a bird, the Bobcats have such a logo on the blue jerseys, the Bulls, the Nuggets (alt only), the Grizzlies, the Knicks (the subway token logo), the Suns, and the Raptors. I think that’s it.

• Kate | December 5, 2007 at 5:19 pm |

[quote comment=”182032″][quote comment=”182020″]If this has been asked before I apologize, but on the MLB.com sites and other media which use official portraits for MLB players, when a trade takes place do they simply photoshop the new hat onto the former team’s hat? Looking at Edgar Renteria’s today showed me that there’s a little bit of an attention to detail, since the photo is the same as his with the Braves, but not only was the cap altered by the Tigers and MLB logos were added to his undershirt collar. Some of these photoshop jobs are better than others, but does anyone know any more about this process?[/quote]

Definitely looks like a photoshop.

ESPN.com: http://assets.espn.g...

Tigers website:

At least when they photoshopped Renteria they used the 2007 cap with the black underbrim, unlike what I saw earlier today on The Best of Mike and Mike when they photoshopped Dontrelle Willis and they used the previous cap with the gray underbrim.

(Sorry no visual evidence, the photos of Willis and Cabrera on the ESPN site rosters still have Marlins caps)

• steve | December 5, 2007 at 5:26 pm |

A little better.

• Mike Engle | December 5, 2007 at 5:49 pm |

[quote comment=”182131″][quote comment=”182127″][quote comment=”182101″]That cat eyes jersey…. those eyes are in a strategically uncomfortable spot. In other words, they don’t look like eyes at all but rather some other part of the anatomy. And if you combine them with the Oregon State football unis, you would probably end up with the most hilarious outfit of all time.[/quote]

A little better.
    Uh…peek-a-boo?
    Minna H., your thoughts? (It’s black!)

• Jack H. | December 5, 2007 at 6:56 pm |

Willis’ page looks kinda funky:

That “D” is waaaay too big.

• El Santo | December 5, 2007 at 6:58 pm |

A little better.

Ha-ha! So very wrong.

• LI Phil | December 5, 2007 at 7:04 pm |

any chance of photochopping that cats alt onto mangino?

or would that be very wrong

• Andrew | December 5, 2007 at 7:16 pm |

Fire the Scourge of Humanity, Tyrone Willingham.

• Ben | December 5, 2007 at 7:49 pm |

Celts and Sixers are looking great in the heritage unis tonight. Love the Boston on the front of the green jersey for the C’s, although tonight the letters look pretty tall.

• Eric B | December 5, 2007 at 7:51 pm |

[quote comment=”182109″]any readers here who live in st. louis?
    i need a good merchandise store for cardinals gear.
    the red sox have a great one in http://yawkeywaystor
    i was just curious if there is a similar “towny” merch store in st louis…
    any help?

In my travels to STL, the best store that I’ve found for Cardinals merchandise is in the old train station (Union Station?). Now the place is a mall/hotel and on the lower level is a very good store for Cardinals apparel.[/quote]

i grew up in STL. that shop in Union Station is probably the best in town. since you’re fairly close to the stadium, it might not hurt to see if their gift shop is open, too.

• Mike | December 5, 2007 at 8:09 pm |

• Chuck | December 5, 2007 at 8:11 pm |

yea miguel cabreras D on his hat on his mlb.com profile just looks ridiculous, i would have rather kept the Marlins logo on if i was the people at the website

• LI Phil | December 5, 2007 at 8:14 pm |

you know, speaking of borat, SBC is making a bruno movie

• todd krevanchi | December 5, 2007 at 8:42 pm |

Wow, multiple Ali G references in one day? Awesome…this would be one of the last places I’d expect to find Ali G fans but that’s rad.[/quote]

i said this,
    because of the post below.

i thought i’d refer to that “strategically uncomfortable spot” in a comedic manner.

SBC is an absolute comedic genius. there is no other way to describe him.

[quote comment=”182164″]you know, speaking of borat, SBC is making a bruno movie[/quote]

• Mike | December 5, 2007 at 9:06 pm |

[quote comment=”182170″][quote comment=”182161″][quote comment=”182112″]with men and women, does you think that men should marry only one woman? does you believe in mahogany?[/quote]

i said this,
    because of the post below.

SBC is an absolute comedic genius. there is no other way to describe him.

of the 3 characters, bruno is my least favorite but im sure SBC has even more tricks up his sleeve so i’ll give that a “wazzup” and not a “nitch dont think so”.[/quote]
    Yeah I’m absolutely dreading it. You can’t find a bigger Ali G/Borat fan than me…but for some reason I just really can’t stand Bruno. I often skip those skits on the DVD’s. I don’t know, maybe its cause gay stereotypes are overplayed?

• LI Phil | December 5, 2007 at 9:17 pm |

[quote comment=”182174″]I don’t know, maybe its cause gay stereotypes are overplayed?[/quote]

being gay is the new coolest thing, which is why i came to gayest part of america-alabama!

[/SBC]

• Stevo | December 5, 2007 at 9:38 pm |

Iowa State Womens Basketball coach Bill Fennelly is wearing a bowtie this evening. I can’t remember the full story but I think it involves the chair of the big fundraising campaign. Photo will follow when I can find one.

• Stuby | December 5, 2007 at 10:59 pm |

• LI Phil | December 5, 2007 at 11:05 pm |

don’t look now…but AI has 49 points thru 3 Qs against the lake show

• LI Phil | December 5, 2007 at 11:12 pm |

oh…and AI’s mom is in the crowd…sporting a nugs jersey a NOB reading “IVERSON’S MOM” (with a #3 of course)…can’t get a screen grab tho

• Stuby | December 5, 2007 at 11:16 pm |

There’s just something about this uniform…So obnoxious that it was cool. Much like the Pirates mix ‘n match getup.

• Mike Engle | December 5, 2007 at 11:24 pm |

• Broker75 | December 5, 2007 at 11:29 pm |

Are ‘God-awful’ and ‘eyesore’ still OK?

They are when discussing the Yankees uniforms

• Stuby | December 5, 2007 at 11:30 pm |

[quote comment=”182196″][quote comment=”182192″]Holy crap, I hope the Niners never wear something like this. Gold from head to toe would not be a good look.[/quote]
    Have no fear. The 49ers throwbacks are too popular. Those, for all intents and purposes, ARE the third jerseys. No way the gold jerseys are anything more than fan jerseys.[/quote]
    Thanks for talking me down off the ledge, Mike Engle.

BTW, The Nuggets are by far the most tattooed team in the NBA.

• James Craven | December 5, 2007 at 11:41 pm |

[quote comment=”182192″]“Holy crap, I hope the Niners never wear something like this. Gold from head to toe would not be a good look.”[/quote]

Tell that to Georgia Tech and the 1963 Middies against Army that I saw on CSTV today around 10 AM. (Thankfully, reflecting on the ’63 Middies, the film was in black and white taking the sting out of the whole picture and your corneas. Those jerseys had “BEAT ARMY” on the back instead of the NOBs.)

• nikerulezu | December 5, 2007 at 11:42 pm |

allen: http://scores.espn.g...

and
    russell: http://ecx.images-am...

• Phil | December 5, 2007 at 11:43 pm |

For some reason the Sabres are wearing their home blues at Anaheim tonight.

• LI Phil | December 5, 2007 at 11:45 pm |

there is (or was) a whole bunch of 3rd jerseys produced that’ll never see the field (thankfully)

packer gold

chief black

raider silver

i also recall a deep blue dolphin, a black jet, a gray giant, a yellow viking…

• LI Phil | December 5, 2007 at 11:50 pm |

[quote comment=”182197″]Are ‘God-awful’ and ‘eyesore’ still OK?

They are when discussing the Yankees uniforms

I find it hilarious when Mets fans describe the Yankees uni’s as in the above statement..today’s Mets don’t look like the legendary Mets from the era I remember-Keith Hernandez.. their current orange is good, it shouldn’t take a genius to figure a Mets look.! They definitely could make yesterdays look into todays. let’s go Yankees-phew!..but todays sophisticated look , not the one they’re aiming at now-god knows who or what it is.[/quote]

PLEASE PLEASE don’t associate all met fans with anything marty says about unis

most met fans would deem the yankee uni classic, in the best sense of the word, even if we won’t admit it

marty is well…marty

• todd krevanchi | December 6, 2007 at 12:22 am |

[quote comment=”182204″]tons of credit should go to the celtics for breaking out the dazzle shorts – reminicent of the russell/heinson era.

allen: http://scores.espn.g...

and
    russell: http://ecx.images-am...

i was hoping the 82-83 sixers unis would have been more accurate on the number typography.

the 82-83 team used more of a bold varsity styling (no angles on the inside curves) whereas these faux throwbacks tonight had the angles on the inside.

• Mark in Shiga | December 6, 2007 at 10:52 am |

#24 and #25 have different fonts on that Sixer team!

• Riley | December 6, 2007 at 1:09 pm |

Actually Paul,

Showalter and Gibbons (among others) might get to keep their smocks. They are actually listed as “Training Jackets”. The rule says they can wear jackets.

• Idetrorce | December 15, 2007 at 8:08 am |

very interesting, but I don’t agree with you
    Idetrorce