CSI: Hofstra

lg_glenn_ap-01.jpg

We’ve all heard about the NFL’s “uniform police.” But when you see articles about them (like this one, which I linked to a few weeks back), they tend to give boring NFL party-line quotes. Being a company man is how you get that job in the first place.

So I raised an eyebrow when a reader named Danny (who prefers that his last name not be used here) recently contributed some Ticker material and concluded his note with the following: “As a former New York Jets personnel intern, one of my unofficial jobs on game day was to take a look at the players and see who was running the risk of fines. Aaron Glenn [shown at right] was probably the most notorious.”

Naturally, I was intrigued, so I followed up with some questions. Here’s how our correspondence unfolded:

Uni Watch: Got any good stories to share regarding your experiences?

Danny: My uniform code obsession started when I noticed how much Aaron Glenn was being fined week after week for violations. I was having dinner with a couple of the players when I brought up the subject, and they asked if I would help keep them (and the other guys) within the guidelines. After three weeks (two of them being in the preseason), I just gave up, because of course they chose fashion over compliance. I felt like a nagging mother-in-law telling them to “make sure your gloves are strapped,” “your whites are too high,” and “your pants are too short.” The lesson I learned was that, as always, is it that is better to look good than to not get fined by the league.

UW: When was this — what year? What was your staff position at the time? And what violations was Aaron Glenn being fined for?

D: I actually took notice in 1995, before I started working with the team. I had previously noticed that the Jets were one of the teams that had a different numeral “2” for their linemen’s jerseys and the position players’ jerseys, and that had always bugged me. Then, when I started in 1997 as an operations assistant, I was fascinated by the equipment room. My duties included everything from picking up players’ wives from the airport and making sure the golf carts were full of gas to making sure the jars of vitamins in the weight room were filled and being a security guard at the cafeteria. We were called “honchos,” and there was between six and eight of us. If something needed doing, we did it.

One morning I noticed the poster in the locker room stating the NFL’s uniform regulations (which you’ve linked to a few times). Then I noticed a Newsday article on uni violations, which centered mostly on Deion Sanders, but it also had a section on Aaron Glenn. If I remember correctly, he led the league in uni-related fines that season. He was being find for high whites, unstrapped gloves, unbuckled chin straps, and short pants.

After reading the article, I did some research through old media guides and yearbooks to see how different players were wearing sweatbands, socks, gloves, chin straps, and so forth. I thought there was something oddly cool about the NFL having a standard issue of dress, and even cooler that some players were consciously violating the code in order to look fashion-forward.

UW: Tell me a little more about how your “police” activities worked. Like, when would you approach the players — during pregame warmups? In the locker room?

D: My policing activities were pretty simple. Since I was a mere peon at the time, I wasn’t going to get too visible in the locker room, because I didn’t want to become an annoyance and get fired. But my game day duties had me walking around the locker room anyway, so when I noticed something in violation of the code, I’d walk by the player and say a simple, “Hey, make sure those whites don’t go up too high, they may fine you,” or “Try and keep those pads tucked in your sleeve, they’re fining guys for that,” and so forth. Most of the guys just ignored me, because they just didn’t care about being fined and were more worried about playing the game. The last thing I wanted to do on a game day was distract any of these guys, but a few of them didn’t mind me being their uni-Jiminy Cricket. I also didn’t want to get on the bad side of the equipment managers — those guys really run the show on game day and could be quite ornery when people got in their way.

UW: Did you agree with all the regulations, or did you feel silly trying to enforce some of them?

D: I definitely don’t agree with all the regulations. I think it would be awful if all the players looked exactly the same. I understand the chin strap rule (which I wish I had obeyed myself, because I suffered a lot of concussions while playing football in high school), and I understand that the league wants to keep players looking somewhat uniform, but I think they take it a bit too far. I think guys should be allowed to wear high whites [not much of an issue these days, since most players now prefer low whites — PL]. I also think they should be allowed to wear team-colored tape and team-colored chin straps.

UW: Any other good stories to share?

D: My best uni-related Jets story comes from when I had been with them in 1997 as an intern. To preface the story, I was recruited by some 1A and 1AA schools to play QB and/or WR but wound up not being able to play after suffering my sixth concussion in my last high school game. After practice during training camp, I would sometimes stay on the field with the young QBs and run some pass routes if they needed some extra bodies. I had made a few acrobatic catches one day and the fans who stayed cheered for me and some of the coaches thought I was ridiculous for trying so hard.

Cut to the very next day — I was cleaning up coffee cups and soda cans in the “war room” after a pro personnel meeting and went into office of a friend I’d made on the marketing staff (I’d routinely hang out in her office after team meetings as she was wrapping up her day). She told me she had just gotten the prototype for the old-school unis the team was going to switch to for the next season (what they wear now). One of the unis was my size, so she asked me to go to the equipment room and get some pads so I could model it for her.

For reasons you would completely understand, I shot downstairs and was downright giddy about putting on the uniform. Once I got all the pads in (I put everything in but hip and butt pads) and the uniform on, I was striking Heisman poses and living out my NFL dream (well, as much as it can be lived out in an office building with no one else around). Lost in my own little world, I had forgotten that the special teams meeting was about to break and that the office I was in was directly across the hall from the auditorium where it was being held. So before I could get the uniform off, the players began to walk by and the ST coach, Mike Sweatman, who had a very dry sense of humor, saw me and let out a chuckle. He then came into the office and said with a smile, “Son, I know you made some nice catches the other day, but it’s just not going to happen for you. Stick to cutting up game films and getting coffee.” We all had a good laugh at my expense, and I took the uniform off.

Coincidentally, I had three drops the next time I ran routes after practice.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Here’s a closer view of the California State Firefighters Association logo, which the Kings are wearing as a patch (thanks, Teebz). … This season’s NHL All-Star Game jerseys will apparently look like this and thiszzzzzzzz. … Yikes. … Check out this NOB: first initial and a “Jr.” at the end (great find by Don Schafer). … The Baseball World Cup is taking place, and Cuba has found a new place for logo creep: on the tips of their belts (good spot by Jeremy Brahm,). … Attention AJ Connelly, and anyone else who owns a Nike chinstrap: You might want to switch to another model (thanks, Bryan). … “ESPN was mistakenly using the St. John’s logo instead of St. Joe’s at the beginning of the Syracuse/St. Joe’s game Tuesday night,” writes Jason Farmand. “They soon made the correction.” … Indiana’s throwback uniforms for this weekend will look like this and this. … Kevin Youkilis has shaved for a good cause. … There’s a great video clip here of a Vikings/Eagles game from 1978. Someone on the Chris Creamer board noticed that the Vikes were wearing black left-sleeve armbands (additional views here, here, and here). Anyone know who was being memorialized?

151 comments to CSI: Hofstra

• Floormaster Squeeze | November 14, 2007 at 9:37 am |

• BobA | November 14, 2007 at 9:41 am |

“…uni-Jiminy Cricket”

Thats a great line.

• Charlie | November 14, 2007 at 9:43 am |

What was overlooked in the chin strap recall:

“The recalled football helmet chin strap was made in China and was sold at sporting good stores throughout the United States from April 2006 through October 2007, the safety agency said.”

This is getting out of hand!

• Kek | November 14, 2007 at 9:46 am |

• Josh | November 14, 2007 at 9:55 am |

it would be ironic if the vikings armband was for troy williamson’s grandmother…

• Paul Lukas | November 14, 2007 at 10:02 am |

[quote comment=”170418″]The Vikings wore the armband in late 1978 for Jack Nelson, an assistant coach who had died.[/quote]

Man, first comment of the day totally nails what I thought had been an obscure query. Great job!

• Hama | November 14, 2007 at 10:05 am |

In the LSU/Alabama game a couple of weeks ago, Matt Flynn had his chin strap break on a WR option play where he was a receiver. He had to act quickly because he would have to come off the field because of it – so he went down faking a limp and then going down. At that point LSU called a time out so Flynn wouldn’t have to miss a play.

Somehow I would think that Flynn was wearing one of these chinstraps…

• interlockingtc | November 14, 2007 at 10:09 am |

• Monte | November 14, 2007 at 10:09 am |

Anyone else think the NHL All Star Game uni looks very minor leagueish?

• steve | November 14, 2007 at 10:13 am |

• Jason G. | November 14, 2007 at 10:17 am |

Don’t forget the stirrups the referees are wearing.

• dm00n | November 14, 2007 at 10:19 am |

Georgia, running out of ideas:

“So we’ve decided to have a redout,” Richt said during his weekly news conference Tuesday. “Everybody wear red. I think they’d do that anyway, but it’d be nice if everybody did that Saturday. It’d be nice if everybody got jacked up about wearing red. Maybe we’ll wear black in our pregame warmup and come rushing out of the wearing red. Whatever it takes to get everybody excited, let’s do it.”

• Stuby | November 14, 2007 at 10:19 am |

Was there also a J. Allen Sr. on the team?

• dm00n | November 14, 2007 at 10:21 am |

Niners, throwing back again.

Past 49ers players will be honored at Sunday’s game against the St. Louis Rams as part of the team’s annual Alumni Day. Members of the 1957 team, which advanced to the first NFL playoff game in the franchise’s history, will serve as honorary captains. The game also will feature an element of the team’s past with the players donning throwback jerseys.

• Matt | November 14, 2007 at 10:31 am |

If I had that job today, I would definately go by the name “Mike Honcho”

(For those of you who have watched Talladega Nights)

• dm00n | November 14, 2007 at 10:37 am |

Adrian Peterson’s November 4 jersey is going to Canton.

• Stuby | November 14, 2007 at 10:39 am |

[quote comment=”170435″]Georgia, running out of ideas:

[/quote]
    They could even get the Red-Out sponsored by the good people at Visine.

• Marty Met | November 14, 2007 at 10:47 am |

• Marty Met | November 14, 2007 at 10:52 am |

Don’t forget the stirrups the referees are wearing.[/quote]

Domes suck!

• Joe Drennan | November 14, 2007 at 11:02 am |

I would think all the people who love the “CLASSIC” Yankees and Nittany Lions uniforms would love the NHL All Star duds.[/quote]

• Johnny O | November 14, 2007 at 11:04 am |

Lambeau Field Mirror

The pic is the 6th one after the “50year” logo in the person’s slideshow

• Marco | November 14, 2007 at 11:05 am |

[quote comment=”170430″]In the Vikings Eagles video I heard Sonny Jurgenson call Don Criqui “Howard” during the Vike’s final drive.[/quote]
    Wrong! The defender’s name is Howard.

• Kenny | November 14, 2007 at 11:07 am |

[quote comment=”170455″][quote comment=”170435″]Georgia, running out of ideas:

[/quote]
    They could even get the Red-Out sponsored by the good people at Visine.[/quote]

Kentucky should get on top of that ASAP – yes Kentucky, they need to to get the Red Out of Georgia

• buckeyebrain | November 14, 2007 at 11:14 am |

[quote comment=”170471″]I found this awesome eBay auction for a Lambeau Field 50 year anniversary mirror, and they have various pictures from the old days on it. But there is this one picture that intrigues me. It looks like the punter or kicker getting the ball, and he has glasses on. The picture was taken against the Bears in what has to be the 60’s or 70’s. Seeing the kicker wearing the glasses is something I have never seen before. I also can’t tell his number. It’s either 14, or 13. (I think) Any help on this one would be great.

Lambeau Field Mirror

The pic is the 6th one after the “50year” logo in the person’s slideshow[/quote]

That’s Chester Marcol, the former Packers kicker. And the play being depicted is famous. From Wikipedia…

• Hank | November 14, 2007 at 11:16 am |

• Broker75 | November 14, 2007 at 11:18 am |

Don’t forget the stirrups the referees are wearing.[/quote]

Domes suck![/quote]
    For the Sunday Night game with the Bills and Patriots the forecast is calling for 33’F or 1’C and I’ve been to that stadium, lots of cold wind, and there always seems to be some kind of percipitation. Domes do suck, but retractible roofs are the perfect remedy. If Toronto does get an NFL franchise the team would be playing in a retractible roof stadium, but with field turf and not real grass-also the Toronto stadium (Rogers Centre also where the Blue Jays play) only holds 55,000. Small for NFL standards.

• dm00n | November 14, 2007 at 11:24 am |

[quote comment=”170482″]

“Chester Marcol may best be known for his game winning touchdown against the Chicago Bears in 1980. In the first week of the 1980 NFL season the Packers were tied with the Bears 6-6 in overtime. A 32-yard pass from Lynn Dickey to James Lofton helped set up a 34-yard attempt to win the game for the Packers. Marcol’s kick was blocked and came straight back to his facemask. He caught the ball and ran around the startled Bears in what appeared to be sheer fright. Marcol was able to run 25 yards into the end-zone to give the Packers a 12-6 victory.”[/quote]

Marcol after the run.

• Broker75 | November 14, 2007 at 11:28 am |

[quote comment=”170488″][quote comment=”170482″]

Marcol after the run.[/quote]
    There’s a huge difference in sleeve stripes in that photo..

• Philly Bill | November 14, 2007 at 11:28 am |

Allow me to echo the snore regarding the All-Star jerseys. Given their spare design, are we to assume they’ll feature numbers on the front like the Stars’ jerseys do?

Housekeeping in the Ticker: “St. Jonn’s” –> “St. John’s”

• NEO | November 14, 2007 at 11:30 am |

[quote comment=”170488″][quote comment=”170482″]

Marcol after the run.[/quote]

Funny how the Miller Lite logo is above the Lambeau 50th one

• Philly Bill | November 14, 2007 at 11:30 am |

[quote comment=”170496″][quote comment=”170488″][quote comment=”170482″]

Marcol after the run.[/quote]
    There’s a huge difference in sleeve stripes in that photo..[/quote]

That’s an *outstanding* photo.

“Um… you can let go of the ball now, Chet. You made it!”

• Stuby | November 14, 2007 at 11:32 am |

[quote comment=”170496″][quote comment=”170488″][quote comment=”170482″]

Marcol after the run.[/quote]
    There’s a huge difference in sleeve stripes in that photo..[/quote]
    That kicker looks like the gym teacher in Porky’s.

• Marty Met | November 14, 2007 at 11:41 am |

[quote comment=”170483″][quote comment=”170461″][quote comment=”170428″]Anyone else think the NHL All Star Game uni looks very minor leagueish?[/quote]

There is a great chasm between Classic and flat out dull. (Though I think the Nits should at least put their lion logo on the helmet.)[/quote]

I know. I thibk the Yankees have the dullest uniforms ever, but most Uni Watchers call them “classic, unchanged” like that’s always a good thing.

• Marty Met | November 14, 2007 at 11:42 am |

If there was something classic about these all-star jerseys they would be loved. The NHL All-Star sweaters from Minnesota were loved becasue of their classic look.[/quote]

They are just as boring as the Yankees, doesn’t that make them “classic”?

• sbomm | November 14, 2007 at 11:45 am |

[quote comment=”170496″][quote comment=”170488″][quote comment=”170482″]

Marcol after the run.[/quote]
    There’s a huge difference in sleeve stripes in that photo..[/quote]
    Number 12 has the the sleeve cut shorter removing bottom 2 stripes.

• kings33 | November 14, 2007 at 11:58 am |

New cover of SportingNews must have Kevin Love in an old jersey… no gold C

• Adam | November 14, 2007 at 12:09 pm |

Hate to break it to you, but it’s not going to have a roof.

• craig greenwood | November 14, 2007 at 12:13 pm |

I always assumed the arm bands the Vikes wore were for Hubert Humphrey who died in early 1978. But it would make more sense if it was for a coach that died seeing how they weren’t wearing them when the season started.

• Chris Sk | November 14, 2007 at 12:15 pm |

Regarding the Indiana throwbacks, would it really have been that hard to give them grey facemasks like they had in 1968 why not at least try to get it right, instead they go with red.

• LI Phil | November 14, 2007 at 12:15 pm |

Hate to break it to you, but it’s not going to have a roof.[/quote]

• Hank | November 14, 2007 at 12:17 pm |

One of the best things in seeing footage from the old Met are the wheeled blow-torches the grounds crew used to thaw the field. Talk about home field advantage.

• Stuby | November 14, 2007 at 12:19 pm |

[quote comment=”170502″][quote comment=”170496″][quote comment=”170488″][quote comment=”170482″]

Marcol after the run.[/quote]
    There’s a huge difference in sleeve stripes in that photo..[/quote]
    That kicker looks like the gym teacher in Porky’s.[/quote]
    Sorry. Right actor, wrong movie. Should have been the Lieutenant in Heartbreak Ridge. Basically, the guy looks like Boyd Gaines with Birth Control glasses on.

• Mike | November 14, 2007 at 12:22 pm |

[quote comment=”170507″][quote comment=”170470″][quote comment=”170461″][quote comment=”170428″]Anyone else think the NHL All Star Game uni looks very minor leagueish?[/quote]

They are just as boring as the Yankees, doesn’t that make them “classic”?[/quote]
    I by no means am someone who thinks along the lines of many of the people on this blog (I love many black unis, many of the more “modern” uniforms, and get annoyed at the constant accusations of logo creep) but the reason uniforms like the Yankees are “classic” isn’t because they’re plain, it’s because they’ve been unchanged for such a long time.

“Boring” and “Classic” have nothing to do with each other, except for the fact that most old jerseys were sorta boring so it leads to the fact that most classics are pretty plain.

• Mo® | November 14, 2007 at 12:25 pm |

Awesome piece. Thanks to both Paul and Danny.

• Joey Guns | November 14, 2007 at 12:32 pm |

Mangino related:

• dm00n | November 14, 2007 at 12:35 pm |

In the video, I like how the back of the one endzone is ice & snow with the wall right there. Also the ref’s white cap with earflaps and gloves are cool.

• Dave F. | November 14, 2007 at 12:37 pm |

[quote comment=”170483″]

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

PSU, Class of ’94

• Joey Guns | November 14, 2007 at 12:53 pm |

[quote comment=”170557″][quote comment=”170483″]

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

PSU, Class of ’94[/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

PSU, Class of ’99

• Frankie | November 14, 2007 at 12:57 pm |

Arkansas

• emd2k3 | November 14, 2007 at 1:02 pm |

[quote comment=”170422″]I love the Vikings/Eagles video. You can see the case for playing indoors but I don’t know, the old school in me longs for games like that.

Also, at about 4:21 of the video there’s a shot of the scoreboard. I love that they are letting you know when the next Twins’ home series is in the middle of winter!!![/quote]

That video reminds me … I really need a Harold Carmichael jersey of that era.

• Brandon T. | November 14, 2007 at 1:06 pm |

Red out, black out, whatever, I just hope Georgia loses on Saturday to the C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS!

• John in Athens | November 14, 2007 at 1:07 pm |

[quote comment=”170435″]Georgia, running out of ideas:

[/quote]

Sounds like sarcasm to me.

Y’all get sarcasm out there, right?

• Jake | November 14, 2007 at 1:11 pm |

• DCM | November 14, 2007 at 1:21 pm |

• E Ro | November 14, 2007 at 1:25 pm |

[quote comment=”170570″][quote comment=”170557″][quote comment=”170483″]

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

PSU, Class of ’94[/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

PSU, Class of ’99[/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

U Mich, Class of ’07

• DCM | November 14, 2007 at 1:25 pm |

• E Ro | November 14, 2007 at 1:29 pm |

About that Montreal Canadiens sweater thing…

I remember right when nike first showed real signs of getting into hockey ’94-’95 they released a line of Nike NHL Street Hockey apparrel (i don’t know the official name). I have a pair of Red Wing shorts that i used to play roller hockey in that are from that product line. It all looked terrible, but roller hockey is supposed to be ugly. It’s when that look starts showing up on ice that i get angry (i’m looking at you rbk)

• Jason G. | November 14, 2007 at 1:31 pm |

[quote comment=”170586″]What was the deal with the UCLA Men’s Jerseys last night? Why was only the C in gold?[/quote]

It’s to commemorate the 100 championships the athletic programs at UCLA have won.

• Drew | November 14, 2007 at 1:32 pm |

new Mexico jersey from adidas

• John in Athens | November 14, 2007 at 1:36 pm |

[quote comment=”170590″]Sarcasim is correct. The AJC said that Georgia Coach Richt had tounge in cheek when discussing the red-out. He was having fun with the media, like he was last week. Doesn’t he understand this uni stuff is serious business?[/quote]

He knows. That’s why the bit at the bottom of that article is happening:

Georgia fans have searched high and low for replica Knowshon Moreno No. 24 jerseys to buy, but to no avail. UGA did not approve that number for marketing purposes before the season. But that has changed. Alan Thomas, Georgia’s senior associate athletics director for promotions and marketing, said Tuesday that the athletics department recently approved the sale of No. 24 jerseys, and they should be showing up on retail shelves soon.

The Dawgs are serious wearing thier 24’s while Kentucky Watching this Uni run past them all day!

• ScottyJ in WV | November 14, 2007 at 1:36 pm |

[quote comment=”170421″]What was overlooked in the chin strap recall:

This is getting out of hand![/quote]

So out of hand that for Christmas, my wife and I have decided no more toys for our kids from China.

If it says “Made In China”, it doesn’t get bought.

• Doug judson | November 14, 2007 at 1:41 pm |

Sorry but those cats are going to be kittens whem the dawg’s get done with them. as far as the red out coach Richt was joking. Plus all that matters is what happens between the hedges.

• sbomm | November 14, 2007 at 1:46 pm |

[quote comment=”170595″]In the Marcol photo there’s no difference in sleeve stripes. QB Lynn Dickey (#12) had cut off the end of his jersey sleeves, a common practice in that era. The uni-police would be all over that these days. Speaking of, back in the day many of the Jets would cut thier sleeves like Dickey…particularly Namath and his WR Don Maynard[/quote]
    Matt Hasslebeck has removed the green stripe portion of his sleeves.

• LynchMob | November 14, 2007 at 1:47 pm |

• sbomm | November 14, 2007 at 1:48 pm |

GO to GettyImages.com the editorial sports section to see the German kit for Euro ’08.

• Chad G | November 14, 2007 at 1:50 pm |

[quote comment=”170600″]new Mexico jersey from adidas

• dan | November 14, 2007 at 1:50 pm |

BREAKING NEWS

• Jerico | November 14, 2007 at 1:51 pm |

From the UniWatch Denver bureau:

Denver U vs. Wyoming: battle of new unis in front of 5,667 fans at “Pack the House” night at Denver’s Magness Arena (basketball capacity: 7,200). DU has gone from And1 to adidas, while Wyoming’s jerseys are delightfully Nike-fied (as in, they’re not bad, so far as brown and mustard go). However, it does seem to be inconsistent with this, as was reported earlier–blasted off-season photos!

• Jerico | November 14, 2007 at 1:51 pm |

Aack! I think I’ve had my posts eaten.

• Jason G. | November 14, 2007 at 1:52 pm |

[quote comment=”170611″]Love this blog … you folks are interesting AND funny … a good combo :-) I’m a baseball-guy … so I don’t know what “whites” are … can someone post an explanation and/or links to “high whites” and/or “low whites”? Thanks![/quote]

It refers to the white portion of the socks.

• jere | November 14, 2007 at 1:56 pm |

“went into office of a friend I’d made on the marketing staff (I’d routinely hang out in her office after team meetings as she was wrapping up her day).”

• patrick | November 14, 2007 at 1:57 pm |

[quote comment=”170485″][quote comment=”170464″][quote comment=”170433″][quote comment=”170427″]Look at those beautiful Eagles uniforms of the past–as well as the Vikings. The mud. The snow. The odd but charming configuration of Met Stadium. The simple television graphics. I miss that.[/quote]

Don’t forget the stirrups the referees are wearing.[/quote]

Domes suck![/quote]
    If I have a choice between watching a game in mid to late November in Buffalo or Detroit, I’d pick Ford Field in Detroit, call me a wussy but it’s just too uncomfortable watching a game in which I paid nearly or more than $100 to sit on metal benches with sleet rain and snow slapping your face. I’m hoping the Giants|Jets’ new stadium has a retractible roof with natural grass.[/quote]

It most likely will not have real grass. The red bulls will no longer be tenants so there will be no need for real grass. Furthermore, for a sport like football, its almost better, performance wise, to have the synthetic.

• Big O | November 14, 2007 at 2:07 pm |

[quote comment=”170614″]BREAKING NEWS
    THe nhl has just announced that they will be switching back to the old uniforms used year. Every team will be switching back the the old designs.[/quote]

Do you have a link for this????

• Cathy | November 14, 2007 at 2:09 pm |

[quote comment=”170600″]new Mexico jersey from adidas

ummm…what’s with the sleeves?? 3/4 sleeves??

• Mark Max | November 14, 2007 at 2:11 pm |

[quote comment=”170614″]BREAKING NEWS
    Seriously?

• Jeff E. | November 14, 2007 at 2:17 pm |

[quote comment=”170620″]”went into office of a friend I’d made on the marketing staff (I’d routinely hang out in her office after team meetings as she was wrapping up her day).”

I really thought this story was gonna go in a different direction after this line.[/quote]

I did too. ;-) Might have made the story even more interesting.

• odessasteps magazine | November 14, 2007 at 2:17 pm |

nothing on the Hockey News or TSN website about it yet.

• Jeff E. | November 14, 2007 at 2:21 pm |

[quote comment=”170510″][quote comment=”170496″][quote comment=”170488″][quote comment=”170482″]

Marcol after the run.[/quote]
    There’s a huge difference in sleeve stripes in that photo..[/quote]
    Number 12 has the the sleeve cut shorter removing bottom 2 stripes.[/quote]

Oddly, with his sleeves cut short, his jersey looks more like the current Packers jersey (the yellow-white-yellow stripe scheme).

• Neil | November 14, 2007 at 2:28 pm |

[quote comment=”170614″]BREAKING NEWS

Don’t even joke.

Source.

• dan | November 14, 2007 at 2:48 pm |

[quote comment=”170628″][quote comment=”170614″]BREAKING NEWS

Do you have a link for this????[/quote]
    no links, i have heard this from an inside source.

• Jerico | November 14, 2007 at 2:53 pm |

[quote comment=”170637″]nothing on the Hockey News or TSN website about it yet.

This would be as bad as the NBA having to go back to the old basketball last year.[/quote]
    Nothing from Globe and Mail or CBC, either.

IF TRUE, then it would be even worse than the NBA leather ball controversy; it would surely be costlier to the NHL, its teams (especially the ones who changed uni designs) and certainly Reebok, all from economic and PR standpoints, than it ever was to the NBA.

BTW, thanks for restoring my post (#68). :)

• LynchMob | November 14, 2007 at 2:53 pm |

re: “whites” = “the white portion of the socks” … does this pic (http://www.uniwatchb... … one of my recent favorites, by the way) demo a variety of “whites”? Seems like the 3 Navy players shown are different: 1 “low”, 1 “medium”, and 1 “high”? And ND is “no white”? and so the ND QB would be said to be “low black” vs ND lineman are “high black”? And so this variety is an example of variations possible which is why it is an issue with NFL?

• gc | November 14, 2007 at 2:56 pm |

you said the nhl just announced it was switching back. i would then expect there to be an announcement available somewhere. so they didnt annouce it and you apparently have inside info? elaborate.

• Tim D | November 14, 2007 at 2:57 pm |

Do you have a link for this????[/quote]
    no links, i have heard this from an inside source.[/quote]

• Minna H. | November 14, 2007 at 3:01 pm |

[quote comment=”170582″][quote comment=”170435″]Georgia, running out of ideas:

[/quote]

Sounds like sarcasm to me.

Y’all get sarcasm out there, right?[/quote]

Damn. John in Athens, I thought this meant that I could get all excited again about my new favorite college team (red is my second favorite color). Oh well. The memory of the black-out shall have to sustain me.

• Broker75 | November 14, 2007 at 3:07 pm |

[quote comment=”170532″][quote comment=”170527″][quote comment=”170485″] I’m hoping the Giants|Jets’ new stadium has a retractible roof with natural grass.[/quote]

Hate to break it to you, but it’s not going to have a roof.[/quote]

hate to break it to you, but it’s not going to have natural grass either (field turf)[/quote]
    Well that blows any thoughts of New York hosting a Superbowl championship game.

• Trevor Kruger | November 14, 2007 at 3:10 pm |

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

PSU, Class of ’94[/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

PSU, Class of ’99[/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

U Mich, Class of ’07[/quote]
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Iowa State, Class of ’09

• Pat | November 14, 2007 at 3:14 pm |

Do you have a link for this????[/quote]
    no links, i have heard this from an inside source.[/quote]

Not saying you don’t have “inside info” …but I have a hard time believing they would switch ALL of the new uni’s after only a few months…it would be a marketing fiasco the like never seen before….[/quote]

Couldn’t feasibly happen during the season. Like someone brought up before, teams spent millions on rebranding themselves for this season: Capitals, Ducks, to a much lesser extent the Bruins (sans to with serif) I’m sure a few more I can’t remember. A bunch of other teams came up with brand new designs for their uniforms: Canucks, Stars, I’m not a huge hockey guy so I can’t remember the others. Some stayed basically the same but with minor changes, Red Wings, Rangers, Canadiens, Flyers, Penguins (but with a new shade of gold).

Now, for some teams going back to the old design woudln’t be a huge deal. But for teams like the Capitals, Ducks, Bruins, Canucks, even the Islanders and Penguins it would cost them millions more in merchandising as well as new uniform production to move back to the old uniforms.

There is no way that any team could go back to their old designs, especially the ones with widespread design changes. And I can’t imagine teams like the Canadiens and Rangers have a bunch of old style jerseys lying around to make way for this seasons new acquisitions.

This is all not to mention how much it would cost RBK in production and saving face marketing.

• Cathy | November 14, 2007 at 3:14 pm |

[quote comment=”170657″][quote comment=”170582″][quote comment=”170435″]Georgia, running out of ideas:

[/quote]

Sounds like sarcasm to me.

Y’all get sarcasm out there, right?[/quote]

By the way, anyone have any screenshots of Jeremy Boger (thanks, Original Jim, for the name), the ref of the Cincinnati/Baltimore game? He is cute, and it is much harder to find pics of him than of Hochs or Mike Carey.[/quote]

Here you go Minna 1, 2

• Cathy | November 14, 2007 at 3:15 pm |

scrwed up link….

• Chance | November 14, 2007 at 3:17 pm |

[quote comment=”170595″]In the Marcol photo there’s no difference in sleeve stripes. QB Lynn Dickey (#12) had cut off the end of his jersey sleeves, a common practice in that era. The uni-police would be all over that these days.[/quote]

Nope, many players still cut the end of their sleeves (resulting in some very unusual striping patterns).

Sorry about the huge images….

• Minna H. | November 14, 2007 at 3:18 pm |

[quote comment=”170667″]scrwed up link….[/quote]
    Well, Cathy, the second one is him (I saw it on Google), but I don’t think the first is. Thanks, anyway. I will just have to try to catch him reffing another game.

• Shane | November 14, 2007 at 3:21 pm |

[quote comment=”170613″][quote comment=”170600″]new Mexico jersey from adidas

Awhile back didn’t the Mexico coach say they were going to wear white from now on because the players couldn’t differentiate themselves from the grass or something dumb like that?[/quote]

Yeah, I believe the FEMEXFUT or whatever their Football Association is called shot it down.

As for the sleeves, I had the feeling a few weeks ago that some players were getting their shirts tailored this way. Ronaldo turned out to be a no go, but I’ve seen some others lately that are making me think that this is being done. There are a lot of players out there who pull up their long sleeves (me included); looks like this is the next step. (That I won’t be taking. 3/4 sleeves are for baseball undershirts)

• Seth H | November 14, 2007 at 3:25 pm |

• Marty Met | November 14, 2007 at 3:27 pm |

Do you have a link for this????[/quote]
    no links, i have heard this from an inside source.[/quote]

My bet is, if this is true, it’s planned for next season. That’s the only thing that makes sense.[/quote]

It’s NOT true. The guy just made it up.
    We could all do that.
    BREAKING NEWS
    Spreewell will replace Stern as NBA commisoner.

• dgc | November 14, 2007 at 3:37 pm |

Do you have a link for this????[/quote]
    no links, i have heard this from an inside source.[/quote]

My guess is that if it’s true, it’s really what we’ve heard after that Boston paper report, that Reebok is just using the old fabric in the Edge template and that the Teflon material is going to be dropped league-wide. No changes in the template itself or in any designs.

• Mike | November 14, 2007 at 3:39 pm |

[quote comment=”170677″][quote comment=”170665″][quote comment=”170654″][quote comment=”170649″][quote comment=”170628″][quote comment=”170614″]BREAKING NEWS

Do you have a link for this????[/quote]
    no links, i have heard this from an inside source.[/quote]

It’s NOT true. The guy just made it up.
    We could all do that.
    BREAKING NEWS
    Spreewell will replace Stern as NBA commisoner.
    It makes no sense to go back to the old designs. New designs with the old fabrics maybe.[/quote]
    Yeah…man there sure are some gullible people out there.

• joe | November 14, 2007 at 3:42 pm |

[quote comment=”170654″]

Remember who is in charge of the NHL, Buttman and a marketing disaster go hand in hand.

• joe | November 14, 2007 at 3:44 pm |

Do you have a link for this????[/quote]
    no links, i have heard this from an inside source.[/quote]

it would cost the teams nothing, it would cost RBK many $$$. Easiest thing is they just slap the changed logos on the appropriate colored box cut jeresy blanks. and everyone loses the apron strings.

• Paul Lukas | November 14, 2007 at 3:46 pm |

• joe | November 14, 2007 at 3:47 pm |

[quote comment=”170676″]While you can be nostalgic for outdoor football, look at the video again and see how far away the fans on the sideline are sitting from the field. (For example, at 2:18.) I cannot imagine that the people in the lower rows could see anything.

Better to watch the game in an indoor stadium designed with football in mind than to sit in the cold and to not see a thing.[/quote]
    the stands were far away because they were playing in a baseball stadium. A football stadium outdoors does not have that problem.

• Mike | November 14, 2007 at 4:04 pm |

[quote comment=”170688″]Enough already with the NHL thing. Some clown comes up with an obvious hoax and the whole site goes bananas. Let’s move on.[/quote]
    My god yes, the whole site just embarrassed itself by reacting like that to such an obvious fake.

• NEO | November 14, 2007 at 4:13 pm |

[quote comment=”170488″][quote comment=”170482″]

Marcol after the run.[/quote]

• James Craven | November 14, 2007 at 4:14 pm |

• GC | November 14, 2007 at 4:22 pm |

[quote comment=”170575″]That video reminds me … I really need a Harold Carmichael jersey of that era.[/quote]

A jersey in that style is on my list as well – love the sleeve stripes.

Also – 3:15 in the vid…nice hands, Herm.

• LI Phil | November 14, 2007 at 4:31 pm |

[quote comment=”170645″][quote comment=”170614″]BREAKING NEWS

Don’t even joke.

Source.[/quote]

Try The Onion

• Chance | November 14, 2007 at 4:34 pm |

[quote comment=”170697″][quote comment=”170488″][quote comment=”170482″]

Marcol after the run.[/quote]

In this picture, the guy on the left has only 3 sleeve stripes (like the current Packers) and Marcol has 5, like the team did until nike began making their unis in 1997[/quote]

Yeah, we talked about that above – that’s Lynn Dickey, the QB. He cut his sleeve down, inadvertently removing stripes in the process.

• Broker75 | November 14, 2007 at 4:45 pm |

• Randy Williams | November 14, 2007 at 4:53 pm |

[quote comment=”170707″]Not uni-related, but uniwatchblog.com related, on my work computer when I log onto this site everything works good. However, when I visit this site on my home computer the November 6, 2007 page comes up, and even if I search today’s date it still brings me to Nov.06.07. Anybody have any idea why that would happen?? And how it can be fixed??? It’s just weird, my home computer is stuck on November 6, 2007 (and I gotta be updated on uniforms at home too of course). Hopefully somebody has a solution for this matter..[/quote]

You need to buy a new computer for the house.

• LI Phil | November 14, 2007 at 4:55 pm |

[quote comment=”170707″]when I visit this site on my home computer the November 6, 2007 page comes up, and even if I search today’s date it still brings me to Nov.06.07. Anybody have any idea why that would happen?? [/quote]

did you hit refresh?

• Seth H | November 14, 2007 at 5:00 pm |

I know the Met was baseball stadium. (I’ve even been to the Mall of America.) My point was that if your choice to watch the Vikings is outdoors in lousy seats that are far away (and/or point the wrong direction) or at the Metrodome, the Metrodome is a better choice.

• Joey Guns | November 14, 2007 at 5:00 pm |

This guy was mentioned on Uni Watch a few weeks ago…….(found on http://www.fark.com)

Everyone’s favorite Internet Peter Pan is getting married. Yes, to a woman. (With pic of the happy couple)

• warren thompson | November 14, 2007 at 5:29 pm |

• warren thompson | November 14, 2007 at 5:34 pm |

Stripes on sleeves and pants would also help.

• LI Phil | November 14, 2007 at 5:42 pm |

have you ever seen the yankee logo?

• warren thompson | November 14, 2007 at 5:49 pm |

have you ever seen the yankee logo?[/quote]

• bighokie09 | November 14, 2007 at 5:52 pm |

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

PSU, Class of ’94[/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

PSU, Class of ’99[/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

U Mich, Class of ’07[/quote]
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Iowa State, Class of ’09[/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
    Virginia Tech, Class of ’09

• Nick | November 14, 2007 at 5:53 pm |

[quote comment=”170573″]I’m not sure if this is photoshopped or not, but it’s still pretty funny. Kind of like that Dingle/Berry picture from a few weeks ago.

Arkansas[/quote]

definitely photoshopped. not very funny, either.

• ThresherK | November 14, 2007 at 6:11 pm |

[quote comment=”170536″]That Eagles/Vikes video shows the case against indoor football and why it should always be played outdoors: Snow, mud, you can see the players’ breaths, ear muffs for the officials.

Love the classic unis for both teams. Being from Philly, I do not have much love for ‘Midnight Green’. Give me the traditional Kelly Green and Silver.[/quote]

IIRC, Ahmad Rashad opined that the Met Stadium-era Vikings might not be 0-4 in Super Bowls if any of them were played in “football weather”. Can’t say I disagree.

• DCM | November 14, 2007 at 6:28 pm |

When Kruk was a Phillie they brought back the blue caps but quickly ditched them. They’re trying again? Does this has to do with politics in South America?

• DCM | November 14, 2007 at 6:31 pm |

Sorry about the bad grammar…I didn’t review!

By the way, today the AJC published a photo of Georgia’s Coach Richt kissing his wife after the Florida win. Is it uni related that she tried to turn the team Poweraide black?

Sorry, paul, but the best she could do was to color it purple!

• dbp | November 14, 2007 at 6:31 pm |

Adidas logo creep on the Cuban baseball team? Man, Comrade Fidel must be rolling over in his grave.

Wait…

• Christopher | November 14, 2007 at 6:38 pm |

[quote comment=”170727″][quote comment=”170724″][quote comment=”170720″]I seem to remember that the official Yankees colors are white, dark blue, and red. Thus, why none of the latter on shirt or pants?[/quote]

have you ever seen the yankee logo?[/quote]

Ah, it all comes back to me now. I’ve seen that logo, and it still wonders me why there’s no red in the Yankees uniform.[/quote]

“Official corporate colors” are at times not the color of the uniform.

The White Sox retained their red-blue corporate logo (with the goofy batter icon and the big SOX) well past their 82-86 uniforms.

From 1949-1970 the White Sox “official logo” was a god-awful yellow. Yet, never had yellow in the myriad of uniforms during that time.

Check Chris Creamer’s boards.

• Ben | November 14, 2007 at 6:39 pm |

I agree…”Midnight Green” is a joke. Those Eagle uni’s were one of my favorites growing up. I loved the sleeve stripes! Funny when you grow up in an area that really has no team how you root for teams based on uniforms. That’s how I ended up rooting for the Chargers and Eagles. That’s the throwbacks they should have worn this year instead of those yellow/blue things.

• DannyB | November 14, 2007 at 6:40 pm |

[quote comment=”170436″]Was there also a J. Allen Sr. on the team?[/quote]

Not so much.. just a way of honouring his father.

Go Rockets!
    (UT that this)
    (no, not Texas. not Tennessee)
    (yes, Toledo)
    (yes, even though we suck this year)

• DannyB | November 14, 2007 at 6:41 pm |

add to above post.. there is a Jesse Allen on the team, so it is also a way to keep from “Je. Allen” and “Jo. Allen”. Personally, the family shoutout is classier IMHO.

• Philly Bill | November 14, 2007 at 6:42 pm |

It is true. Was reported here a while back.

Here’s a mockup: http://i14.tinypic.c...

• Stevo | November 14, 2007 at 6:50 pm |

[quote comment=”170728″][quote comment=”170663″][quote comment=”170592″][quote comment=”170570″][quote comment=”170557″][quote comment=”170483″]

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

PSU, Class of ’94[/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

PSU, Class of ’99[/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

U Mich, Class of ’07[/quote]
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Iowa State, Class of ’09[/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
    Virginia Tech, Class of ’09[/quote]

*bleep* No!
    Des Moines Area Community College, Class of ’03

[quote comment=”170485″]

Professional football should be played in the prevailing weather conditions, especially when you’re the Minnesota Vikings. Fans will come out and watch their team play in any weather, if the team’s good enough. Patriots fans have shown this year after year, as have Bears and Packers supporters. The only kind of retractable roof I would allow in the NFL is the design the Mariners have at Safeco, where the only purpose of the roof is to stop the rain/snow while letting the wind and cold in.

• Thomps | November 14, 2007 at 6:54 pm |

[quote comment=”170600″]new Mexico jersey from adidas

• Stevo | November 14, 2007 at 6:55 pm |

Not so much.. just a way of honouring his father.

Go Rockets!
    (UT that this)
    (no, not Texas. not Tennessee)
    (yes, Toledo)
    (yes, even though we suck this year)[/quote]

Like when Maurice Jones added the Drew to his name to honor his grandmother?

• Dave | November 14, 2007 at 7:19 pm |

[quote comment=”170437″]Niners, throwing back again.

[/quote]

I watched this press conference. He said this very tongue in cheek, fwiw.

• Jeff P. | November 14, 2007 at 7:33 pm |

I just turned on the North Carolina/Davidson game, and I notice two things. First, UNC has the new System of Dress, or “Frocks for Jocks”,…Second…their shorts are NOT BAGGY! I repeat, their shorts are NOT baggy. Well…for today’s standards they aren’t that baggy. Compare them to the shorts from last night’s Syracuse and OSU games you will defintely see a difference in the two.

Thank you Coach Wiliams for not allowing your players to wear those montrous shorts!

Game is on ESPN right now. Sorry no screen grab :(

• DannyB | November 14, 2007 at 8:13 pm |

[quote comment=”170757″][quote comment=”170749″][quote comment=”170436″]Was there also a J. Allen Sr. on the team?[/quote]

Not so much.. just a way of honouring his father.

Go Rockets!
    (UT that this)
    (no, not Texas. not Tennessee)
    (yes, Toledo)
    (yes, even though we suck this year)[/quote]

Like when Maurice Jones added the Drew to his name to honor his grandmother?[/quote]

Well, except for the fact that John Allen Jr has always been John Allen Jr.

• DannyB | November 14, 2007 at 8:31 pm |

[quote comment=”170748″]Funny when you grow up in an area that really has no team how you root for teams based on uniforms.[/quote]

Alas, my Rider Pride. Go Riders, from a Windsor Ontario native.

Saskatchewan Roughriders, that is… for all of you CFL-deficients..

• Flip | November 14, 2007 at 8:42 pm |

This may have been addressed before, but I haven’t seen it. The Jets unis have bothered me for some time, because they screwed the sleeve up. Note this versus this

The old is much better. (And the way Maynard cut his sleeves made him cool. If everybody did it, eh, not so much.)

• Robert | November 14, 2007 at 8:47 pm |

The pic from the Arkansas link is actually a picture from the Oklahoma USC National Championship game a few years ago.

• Jon Horton | November 14, 2007 at 9:15 pm |

• Mike Engle | November 14, 2007 at 9:51 pm |

[quote comment=”170781″]Don’t know if this is old news… but I am here at the Bank of America Arena at the University of Washington where last night, the Utah Runnin’ Utes showed off their Home whites in the opening game of the NIT… with their very retro look with all NOB’s as UTAH.

They will be wearing their roads tonight here for the NIT Season Tipff (which will be on ESPN 2)…. will be interesting to see if the NOBs will be UTAH as well.[/quote]
    They will be.

• Jon Horton | November 14, 2007 at 9:52 pm |

Ooops… I see it’s old news… but really strange to see in person. We have a football team at Pacific Lutheran where all the NOBs are LUTES… referring to the teams nickname and Coach Frosty Westering’s motto of “Every Man a Lute”

On another note… a question posed a week or so ago. The University of Washington Women’s Team switched their NOB to the back this season… I don’t know of another college team that does that and the last one I could remember ever was Marquette…. any one else know of any?

• JARED | November 14, 2007 at 10:37 pm |

It’s not like they are the only one’s that have won championships.

• Brendan | November 14, 2007 at 10:41 pm |

[quote comment=”170751″][quote comment=”170698″]Rumor: According to Wikipedia, the Phillies are planning to have a home alternate without pinstripes and a 1948 style cap (blue with red bill and button). Any truth to that?[/quote]

It is true. Was reported here a while back.

Here’s a mockup: http://i14.tinypic.c...

Why’s he wearing black stirrups?[quote comment=”170756″][quote comment=”170600″]new Mexico jersey from adidas

Too bad. As much as I dislike Mexico when they battle the USA, as as much Nike bashing goes on here, I loved their old Nike kits from 2006.[/quote]

Nike makes legit soccer uniforms. Compare this to this.

• Mike Engle | November 14, 2007 at 10:45 pm |

[quote comment=”170798″]Anyone know why its only the men’s and women’s basketball programs with the yellow “C”?

It’s not like they are the only one’s that have won championships.[/quote]
    School-wide thing. 100 Div-1 championships in the history of the school, a record. C is the Roman numeral for 100, so it’s like a rebus on the jersey.

• Stevo | November 14, 2007 at 10:52 pm |

• Seth | November 14, 2007 at 11:01 pm |

Justin Dentmon on Washington is wearing what looks like underarmour under his jersey, along with a t-shirt tonight against Utah. Can anyone get a screen shot?

• John Boris | November 14, 2007 at 11:14 pm |

• John Boris | November 14, 2007 at 11:15 pm |

[quote comment=”170806″]So I’m at the Dave Matthews concert last night in the Meadowlands (I refuse to use the new name of the Area). I noticed that the drummer, Carter Beauford, was wearing what I thought were white batting gloves. Then maybe I thought they were the Mickey Mouse gloves David Carr has been sporting. Then finally a close-up, FootJoy golf gloves. Here is a link to a pick from the tour. Also notice the non-matching logo creep on the wrist band.[/quote]

Forgot to paste the link.

• MikeyB | November 14, 2007 at 11:25 pm |

I was looking through some photo galleries online and check out the socks Boys Town wears. Also, what do you guys think of the non-matching socks?

• Justin | November 14, 2007 at 11:29 pm |

“Oh, and [Vince] Hall’s left forearm now has a huge scar that looks exactly like football seams – a fact that was not lost on the senior. He says he’s considering getting a football outline around the scar, along with a NIKE swoosh.” (emphasis mine)

While perhaps tongue in cheek (the paragraphs leading up to that one indicated that Hall is a funny guy), all I can think is: Yikes!

• Bob Nolte | November 14, 2007 at 11:49 pm |

[quote comment=”170803″]I was watching some college volleyball today on FSN, and it dawned on me that there is a lot of SNOB (School Name on Back) among major VB squads. Stanford went elegant with script lettering, which brought at least something interesting to an otherwise boring kit. Unfortunately I was not able to get any screen grabs or chase down photos, but I just remembered seeing that today.[/quote]

Most Volleyball teams go with SNOB. I’m not sure if its a tradition or just a money saving trick, but none of the schools I’ve seen have had anything but SNOB.

• James Craven | November 15, 2007 at 1:41 am |

[quote comment=”170751″][quote comment=”170698″]“Rumor: According to Wikipedia, the Phillies are planning to have a home alternate without pinstripes and a 1948 style cap (blue with red bill and button). Any truth to that?”[/quote]

“It is true. Was reported here a while back.

“Here’s a mockup:”
    [/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Zach | November 15, 2007 at 2:59 am |

Dont know if this has been discussed but on sports center they showed the Georgetown practice jerseys and they have awesome numbers on them. Also found this website with their main uni through the years. http://www.hoyabaske...