Independence Day Open Thread

works.jpg

Independence Day is actually a very uni-related holiday, since it probably wouldn’t have been possible without the Brits’ red coats. If you see any Limeys today, remember to give them plenty of shit about that.

Me, I’ll be serving up brats, soft-shell crab, smoked chicken, and sour cherry crisp at Uni Watch Gardens (i.e., my back yard) and grumbling about the Mets not playing until 8 p.m. I don’t think we’ll have any Brits on hand, although my Canadian friend Andrea, oddly enough, has promised to bring one of those stars and stripes-patterned cakes. Full report to follow.

Hope you all enjoy your holiday activities, whatever thay may be. And remember, if you insist on blowing off part of your hand while playing with pyrotechnics, make sure it’s not your throwing hand.

111 comments to Independence Day Open Thread

• Teebz | July 4, 2007 at 8:44 am |

To all the American Uni Watchers,

Happy Independance Day! Have fun on this 4th of July! Take it easy, and relax today. And try not to let the Mets ruins a perfectly good holiday. ;o)

• Mark in Shiga | July 4, 2007 at 8:45 am |

(And with the consumption tax at 17.5% in Britain — much more than the tea tax we rose up against — maybe the British need to have another rebellion sooner or later.)

• Ben | July 4, 2007 at 8:58 am |

That’s a solid cake, though I’d probably like some piping around the blueberries, to offset the cream background. And the non-uniform stars … kidding!

• jsdryden | July 4, 2007 at 9:08 am |

Enjoy the 4th Paul!

I’m looking forward to the 24th in Toronto. Even booked a room a crawl away from the pub so I don’t have to worry about the drive home!

See you then.

• Jonathon | July 4, 2007 at 9:25 am |

Sportsline gets in the uni-watch business:

Has the new K-State uni been mentioned here? For some reason I don’t think it has.

• Jeremy Brahm | July 4, 2007 at 9:25 am |

Mark,

Good catch, I hadn’t seen anything about this on the regular news sites that I look at, but seeing as how it is Seibu with Matsuzaka, the question is does anyone outside of Saitama care?

The Lions are desperate for some income right now, so let’s roll out two “special” uniforms. Talk about a cash grab. At least the other teams, such as the Tigers, Hawks and Bay Stars only had one “special” uniform.

• Stan The Man | July 4, 2007 at 9:28 am |

May all of the UNIWATCH Readers have a wonderful, safe and fun Independence Day!!!

STM

• Jonathon | July 4, 2007 at 9:32 am |

Here’s a shot of the old uniform:

• Elliott Pollack | July 4, 2007 at 9:34 am |

good: i share a birthday with america
    bad: i share a birthday with steinbrenner

hope the yanks lose on the boss’ birthday! (and for mine)

happy fourth!

• Anthony Verna | July 4, 2007 at 9:50 am |

Happy Independence Day!

• Ben63 | July 4, 2007 at 9:56 am |

Back to uniforms: how about the Seibu Lions bringing back their spiffy all-blue outfits for the summer?[/quote]

The logo creep there just burns my eyes.

• SuperJon | July 4, 2007 at 10:05 am |

I go to a school called Liberty University. We’re obsessed with honoring the country and all of that.

And we still had class today.

This just feels wrong.

And yes, I’m posting from class.

• Stuby | July 4, 2007 at 10:06 am |

[quote comment=”113310″][quote comment=”113287″]Actually, Paul, I think there several Brit regulars — just look at the frequent debates about whether a soccer uniform is a “kit” or not.

The logo creep there just burns my eyes.[/quote]
    Those look alot like sweatpants.

• Mark in Shiga | July 4, 2007 at 10:15 am |

Jeremy, I actually saw a big poster containing the two uniforms when passing through a Seibu station, and when I got my camera phone out on the return journey, the thing was already gone!

I like the classic old blue jersey (though they could remove the NPB mark on the collar); the “summer” one is garish and clearly something that people will look down on in ten years. There’s also a giant gap between the collar and the player’s name.

The Baystars actually have a plethora of alternates! They’ve got these alternate interleague home uniforms (with a corresponding gray road version), and then these “summer” alternates (love the giant number on the back; 2005’s are even better, as is the front).

Of course, regular, interleague, and summer each have their own corresponding cap!

Much as I dislike the Yomiuri Giants, they absolutely know how to handle alternate uniforms. Pure 1970s class.

The same cannot be said for the Nittaku Home Flyers and their magenta-colored front-numbers!

• Mike Sanderson | July 4, 2007 at 10:17 am |

happy independence day to the country who doesn’t screw up their inception’s holiday!

• Mark in Shiga | July 4, 2007 at 10:17 am |

(Hey Paul, could you revive my “eaten” post? I just dug up about a dozen Yokohama BayStars photos and can’t exactly go find them again…)

• patrick | July 4, 2007 at 10:27 am |

RE: Maria Sharapova

Sharapova is wearing her frilly “angle” wings again against venus, who is rocking the mens underwear look.

• Stuby | July 4, 2007 at 10:40 am |

[quote comment=”113305″]good: i share a birthday with america
    bad: i share a birthday with steinbrenner

hope the yanks lose on the boss’ birthday! (and for mine)

happy fourth![/quote]
    You also share a birthday with Al Davis and Digger Phelps, for what its worth.

• Mark | July 4, 2007 at 10:45 am |

is this new…

• Mark | July 4, 2007 at 10:46 am |

that didnt work..

• Broker75 | July 4, 2007 at 10:58 am |

• Chris | July 4, 2007 at 11:15 am |

• Richard | July 4, 2007 at 11:27 am |

HAPPY 4TH EVERYONE!
    May all your Uni-watching be Red, White, and Blue (at least in the Met pinstriping).

• Mark | July 4, 2007 at 11:37 am |

another minor league team with camo uni’s, the norfolk tides (baltimore’s AAA affiliate). sorry no pictures though.

• Tom C. | July 4, 2007 at 11:46 am |

I’m sure there will be dozens of similar promotions throughout the minors, we’ll have to keep an eye out for the best and worst:
    In Rochester, “the Wings will wear patriotic jerseys that will be signed by the players and auctioned off through a silent auction with the goal of raising money for the Habitat for Humanity home that the Wings are helping build and fund as part of our 50th Anniversary of Rochester Community Baseball”

• Broker75 | July 4, 2007 at 11:51 am |

[quote comment=”113335″][quote comment=”113330″]Anybody have any idea what number newly acquired Ryan Smith for the Avalanche chose? I saw a pic of him in his new jersey, but it was neck up. 94?[/quote]

Yup, its 94. Check out the Avs main page. It’s interesting that both Drury and Gomez were introduced with #23 jerseys for the Rangers. Drury won the “puck-toss” and will get to keep his number. You think that would factor into the contract talks….[/quote]
    got it, thanks. It looks like mullet day in Denver. Smyths’ jersey looks humungeous on him.

• mrf | July 4, 2007 at 12:15 pm |

happy b-day elliott! oh, and you too, america…

• Omar | July 4, 2007 at 12:26 pm |

The Mets are playing at 8! not 9! Don’t miss the Mets scoring 5 in the first inning today…

• Matt | July 4, 2007 at 12:27 pm |

anyone else watching the hot dog eating contest?

• junkland | July 4, 2007 at 12:28 pm |

Yikes! What’s with the flames on the back of the “Summer Uniform?”

Also, the Yomiuri Giants haven’t exactly been the epitome of class with their addidas striped pants and the black alternates with giant blocks of gray.

• Stuby | July 4, 2007 at 12:30 pm |

Of course, man.

• 9/9 | July 4, 2007 at 12:44 pm |

He wore 94 at the press conference.

• 9/9 | July 4, 2007 at 12:44 pm |

Wow, didn’t realize that pic would be so small, but 94 is still clearly visible.

• Brett S | July 4, 2007 at 12:59 pm |

Although I am Canadian, everyone American on Uni Watch have a great Independence Day. You were so kind to do a feature on Canada Day that I had to return the favour some how.

Anyway, just watching the Cubs/Nationals. Don’t know if anyone has mentioned it, but Austin Kearns was wearing his eye black smeared like some of the Marlins. If anyone could find a pic that would be great mainly because I don’t have any of that MLB.tv stuff. They showed him when Soriano flies out to him in the 3rd, or in the sequence after Derek Lee pops out to Dmitri Young.

• Robert | July 4, 2007 at 1:12 pm |

• =bg= | July 4, 2007 at 1:16 pm |

USA flags on caps today, watching Giants @ Reds.

• Jon in SLC | July 4, 2007 at 1:19 pm |

Happy 4th to all Paul, Ek, Vince, Scott and all the Uni Watchers. Like Paul said – please be safe with your pyrotechnics. As you can see some idiot was not so safe last night and this is what the view from my backyard looks like this morning.

• Taha | July 4, 2007 at 1:26 pm |

• Flip | July 4, 2007 at 1:39 pm |

[quote comment=”113304″]This is only a Nike replica, but it looks like they’ve added “K-State” to the neckline, and they’ve gone from two sleeve stripes to one.

Here’s a shot of the old uniform:

What better way to observe the fourth than by blending red and blue and discussing purple?

I like the new K-State jersey. They’ve moved the TV numbers to the sleeve and taken some of the clutter away. Alas, I doubt the swoosh is negotiable.

• Andy from KC | July 4, 2007 at 1:55 pm |

I’d rather watch that than fireworks! It was awesome to see Kobayashi & Chestnut shatter the existing record, and to see Chestnut bring the mustard belt home to the US after Kobayashi puked at the end.

• Stuby | July 4, 2007 at 2:09 pm |

• Ryan | July 4, 2007 at 2:26 pm |

• Mike Engle | July 4, 2007 at 2:31 pm |

[quote comment=”113397″]I was searching Flickr! and came across this link – Cubs Uniform Policy. Unfortunately, its hard to see. Any more out there easier to read?[/quote]
    Ask that guy who won the raffle for the style guide. Betcha it has very similar statements.

• Dan | July 4, 2007 at 2:33 pm |

Save that for tomorrow. Paul will love it.

• Mikey | July 4, 2007 at 2:39 pm |

• Buckeye Mike | July 4, 2007 at 2:41 pm |

Part of this, he said, is “wearing the uniform properly” and “respecting the uniform.” I wish that interviewer George Grande would have followed up and asked exactly what Mackanin meant with those statements. Was he saying that players should dress like ballplayers and not clowns, or was he just using alternate phrasing to say that players should always work hard and hustle?[/quote]
    Robert

• Lou | July 4, 2007 at 2:53 pm |

• Christopher | July 4, 2007 at 2:59 pm |

To each their own, of course.

• Mike Engle | July 4, 2007 at 3:00 pm |

Or at least let them wear what they want in the dugout, on the condition that they strip down to show their NUMBERED jersey when they walk onto the field. After all, you need a uniform to enter the field of play, not just stuff with the logo on it!

• Christopher | July 4, 2007 at 3:01 pm |

No White Sox for me, probably many others with travel days.

Come on- its just like the weekend. Have all teams play!

• Daren Landers | July 4, 2007 at 3:04 pm |

• Lou | July 4, 2007 at 3:10 pm |

Unbelievable! According to baseball-reference.com the exhibit has been removed.

• Broker75 | July 4, 2007 at 3:11 pm |

• Taha | July 4, 2007 at 3:11 pm |

[quote comment=”113388″][quote comment=”113377″]Not only did I watch the hot Dog eating contest, but my wife made chili dogs for lunch to eat while we watched. I ate two in 12 minutes.[/quote]
    Only 64 more to go! Hopefully there was no ‘reversal of fortune’ with the chili dogs.[/quote]

LOL, thankfully, no, the dogs stayed down. ESPN is showing a replay of the Spelling Bee after coverage of the Hot Dog eating contest. I think they should have showed “Shaq’s Big Challenge” instead! Anyway, no more non-uni entries from me. Thanks.

• Broker75 | July 4, 2007 at 3:18 pm |

• odessasteps | July 4, 2007 at 3:21 pm |

One of the Cubs’ pitchers today was wearing high socks today and the nats’ announcers (Bob Carpenter and Don Sutton) were talking about how he looked like he could play in any era.

• BA | July 4, 2007 at 3:42 pm |

[quote comment=”113409″][quote comment=”113401″]I’m currently watching the Reds and Giants game. The Reds are still wearing the beautiful pajama pants. Not being sarcastic there! What can I say love the look. Used to hate the short pants in little league, and still do today![/quote]

To each their own, of course.

I think the reason a lot of us (myself included) “like” the shorter pants is because they’re unique to baseball. And its a uniform, not street clothes. Apart from actually wearing a teams uni, none of us have clothes that look like a baseball uniform at all.[/quote]

“Short pants” are unique to baseball? What about football? They all wear short pants. On that note, imagine if football players decided to wear their pants PJ-style…

• Robert | July 4, 2007 at 3:44 pm |

Robert
    it’s funny, but you left out an important part of that. Mackanin isn’t wearing a uni-top, he has on the damn wind breaker. It’s 85, overcast and humid in the Nasty Nati today, WTF?[/quote]

• Robert | July 4, 2007 at 3:47 pm |

Still wearing the pajama pants? Since the vast majority of current big leaguers wear them, why is the fact that the Reds are wearing them today, like always, news?

• Tom C. | July 4, 2007 at 3:53 pm |

[quote comment=”113415″][quote comment=”113407″]I wish all managers would be required to wear uniform tops. Is it really that hard on them? I don’t get the love affair with the windbreakers![/quote]
    I agree, I’ve tried to wear windbreakers overtop a short sleeved shirt, feels so umcomfortable, sticky like, then if you start sweating? 100 times worse feeling. Joe Torre sometimes wears a short sleeved windbreaker, probably for these reasons.[/quote]

As a red sox fan I’m most familiar with the pullover Franconia wears. I don’t think it is the sticky windbreakers you speak of. It is closer to fleece/sweatshirt material. It might be this:
    Tito’s jacket

• Drew | July 4, 2007 at 5:04 pm |

[quote comment=”113328″]that didnt work..

Interesting, those are new.

• timmy b | July 4, 2007 at 5:04 pm |

mark in shiga and jeremy brahm,

you guys are the npb uniform experts here. are there ANY japanese baseball uniform history websites anywhere to be found on the internet?

i am aware of “the history of uniform” book from last year, but the u.s. price is scary for one on a family budget.

truly grateful for any help on this!

• John Baranowski | July 4, 2007 at 5:06 pm |

there’s one of those in every lockerroom, or at least i assume

whenever my Dynamos played for the section title at Heinz Field, they had one for the Steelers. discussed everything to be worn, and had some basic no-no’s like helmet to helmet tackles

that was 2003 and i didn’t know about this site, or i would’ve taken pictures

• Matthew H. | July 4, 2007 at 5:11 pm |

Actually that “Cubs Uniform Policy” is posted in every MLB clubhouse and the graphics are changed for each team. It is the MLB uniform policy. It’s been discussed here before.

• Jeff E. | July 4, 2007 at 5:28 pm |

[quote comment=”113449″][quote comment=”113328″]that didnt work..

Interesting, those are new.[/quote]

While I think those are new for Indiana’s current uniform design, they had yellow alternates for their last design (the pinstriped ones). I was surprised that the yellow unis where not initially part of the the current unis when introduced.

• timmy b | July 4, 2007 at 5:31 pm |

• Korryn | July 4, 2007 at 5:35 pm |

Bit of logo confusion for WVU Mountaineers — one in Russell and one in Nike. Isn’t Nike the official outfitter?

• Jeff E. | July 4, 2007 at 5:36 pm |

[quote comment=”113462″][quote comment=”113412″]I apologize if this has been brought up before, but does anyone know what happened to the Dressed to the Nines website? It says the page is no longer available.[/quote]

yes this is highly disturbing news. i did go to the bbhof site, and it looks like they are totally revamping the site, and it looks to be including a “membership” catch. my guess is they’ll relaunch dressed to the nines as a “premium” service to paid members only. if so, i disconnect.[/quote]

I believe Paul said yesterday that the guy who oversees the site is on vacation til the 13th and will fix it when he returns.

• Aaron | July 4, 2007 at 5:50 pm |

Does anyone want a 2007 World Series patch 3 months early?

• JJD | July 4, 2007 at 6:08 pm |

The Tacoma Rainiers rocked some 4th of July unis yesterday. They were basically the standard jerseys with red “Rainiers” across the front.

pic 1

pic 2

• John E. | July 4, 2007 at 7:02 pm |

It looks like they’ve just moved it in their reorganization. I found it here.

• timmy b | July 4, 2007 at 7:12 pm |

[quote comment=”113492″][quote comment=”113412″]I apologize if this has been brought up before, but does anyone know what happened to the Dressed to the Nines website? It says the page is no longer available.[/quote]

It looks like they’ve just moved it in their reorganization. I found it here.[/quote]

john e,

you saved the day!! thanks!

• Liberty | July 4, 2007 at 7:13 pm |

Interesting note on that flag caps though. I was sitting out in right today and Griffey Jr. got rid of the flag cap after the first inning. Here is a picture I took in the top of the first.

Here is a picture from later in the game.
    I found it interesting that he switched. It seems that most everyone else kept the flag hats on.

• Liberty | July 4, 2007 at 7:16 pm |
  • Liberty | July 4, 2007 at 7:17 pm |

Second link for post #73
    This one should actually be correct.

• Nick | July 4, 2007 at 7:17 pm |

Never. I refused to watch. I call it Hot Dog abuse, cause hot dogs around my place,,are sacred. The worst is when you go to a buddy’s house for a BBQ, and they hand you this half cooked weiner with no explosion happening![/quote]

This is our FAMILY TIME TV watching on every

• Nick | July 4, 2007 at 7:29 pm |

Robert

Believe me, I noticed his smock. I didn’t want to mention it, though, because it gives me a headache. He’s not really respecting the uniform, is he?[/quote]

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT !!!

These managers and coaches look like 300 pound Hawaiian Aunt Jemimas (!!!) in their Moo Moo dresses going out to the mound sometimes. The “Uniform Policy” should be for all of organized baseball – NCAA included – that should require a numbered jersey on any coach or manager enterng the field. If it is very cold, the could wear the OFFICIAL DESIGNATED JACKET that all players and coaches wear, and that MLB markets for $100.00 plus, and changes anually, at such great commercial effort !!!

The only exception should be if the manager wants to “Connie Mack” it in a good suit !!!

LSU (former) Head Coach “Smoke” Laval wore a dark plastic pullover that looked like a $3.00 raincoat for FOUR ENTIRE years. We saw it every night in Louisiana’s LSU obsessed media coverage. It was SCARRY to look at. Thankfully, he has moved along and the new coach actually wears clothes and uniforms.

Nonetheless ….. Ditch the TuTu’s, the Moo Moo’s, and the raincoats, and wear a jersey.
    That would be “respecting the Uniform” !!!

• Nick | July 4, 2007 at 7:34 pm |

• Daren Landers | July 4, 2007 at 7:40 pm |

Excellent! Thank You!

• tim b | July 4, 2007 at 7:42 pm |

RE: DRESSED TO THE NINES

I brought this up yesterday in the comments, Paul said the curator was on vacation. Before he had replied, I ripped off a email to Cooperstown and then today was greeted with this in my inbox:

Dear Friend:

Thank you for your note. If you click on the “The Museum” button on the navigation bar on the home page, and then click on “on-line exhibits” in the Museums folder, you will find all of our on-line exhibits.

Yours in Baseball,
    The Hall of Fame

I send that to Paul, assume he’ll update the link tomorrow.

• Dave A | July 4, 2007 at 7:52 pm |

Blue Jays had the flag caps in Oakland as well.

• Todd Morss | July 4, 2007 at 8:00 pm |

[quote comment=”113400″][quote comment=”113397″]I was searching Flickr! and came across this link – Cubs Uniform Policy. ?[/quote]

Anyone know where I cold get one of those? I’ve tried getting in touch with a lot of MLB staff, to no avail.

• ThresherK | July 4, 2007 at 8:25 pm |

I’ve always wondered what if the XPA hold was aligned longitudinally on the field to where the
    touchdown was scored, like rugby. Probably cut down on those corner routes in the red zone. (Is
    “longitudinal” the orientation I’m looking for here?)

• Brett S | July 4, 2007 at 8:27 pm |

[quote comment=”113513″][quote comment=”113374″]USA flags on caps today, watching Giants @ Reds.[/quote]

Blue Jays had the flag caps in Oakland as well.[/quote]

Wore them last year too

• Jeff C. | July 4, 2007 at 8:38 pm |

some dbacks are missing the flags on their caps. at the end of the 5th inning you can see scott hariston is missing his while chris young has his. Looks weird when they are next to eachother

• subway | July 4, 2007 at 8:44 pm |

[quote comment=”113411″]I love it when July 4th falls on a Wednesday- easy work week. But it means a lot of baseball teams not playing (which is asinine!).

No White Sox for me, probably many others with travel days.

Come on- its just like the weekend. Have all teams play![/quote]

The White Sox are hosting Baltimore. The other 28 teams are also scheduled to play today.

• Tom C. | July 4, 2007 at 8:54 pm |

[quote comment=”113524″][quote comment=”113508″]Not UNI -related, but how interesting would the NFL and NCAA football be if the player scoring the touchdown was required to kick the extra point???[/quote]

“longitudinal” the orientation I’m looking for here?)[/quote]

I would think so. Although obviously each field differs, in football north-south is generally the long direction of the field. So longitude would measure how far east/west the TD was scored. In this case the yard lines would be lines of latitude.

It would be even harder in college with the wider hash marks.

• Andy from KC | July 4, 2007 at 9:13 pm |

• Mike Engle | July 4, 2007 at 9:19 pm |

[quote comment=”113544″]Kenny Rogers is wearing a regular 5950 cap tonight. Presumably he can’t get one of last year’s BP hats with a flag on the side of it.[/quote]
    He wore a regular “new” 5950 in his season debut earlier this year, and in all of his other starts since the polyester caps replaced the wool. I previously joked that not only does he get a shrink-proof game cap (his gripe against wool), but he gets a standard-issue black under-brim to hide his stash of pine tar.

• Mikey | July 4, 2007 at 9:20 pm |

The comment about the Reds and pajama pants was in reference to a quote posted earlier in the comments from the Reds new intrim manager…..

• jeff in detroit | July 4, 2007 at 9:38 pm |

in the top of the 7th of the tigers- indians game jason grilli of the tigers was taken out and when they showed him on the mound his flag was almost sideways.

• Jeremy in WV | July 4, 2007 at 10:02 pm |

unfortunitally, Nike is the officail outfitter of WVU. At least we haven’t seen anything crazy yet!!!

• Eric B | July 4, 2007 at 10:03 pm |

new University of Montana football uni?

it sucks.

• Mark in Cincy | July 4, 2007 at 10:44 pm |

Robert

• Mike Engle | July 4, 2007 at 10:49 pm |

[quote comment=”113586″][quote comment=”113427″][quote comment=”113403″][quote comment=”113371″]During a pre-game interview today, Reds interim manager Pete Mackanin talked about how he expects players to respect the game, play hard, et cetera.

Robert

Along with the Mackanin talk, I noticed in last night’s game (didn’t get to see too much of today’s) that he wears a watch . . . I hate that! I know it isn’t just him, a lot of managers do it (I think Torre does), but it looks silly. They are on the baseball field; do they have to know what time it is?[/quote]
    Looks better than wearing wristbands, in my book. Dusty Baker always wore wristbands while managing. He’s not sweating! What does he need those things for? Besides, it’s just another logo creep. (It was Easton for as long as I can remember.)

• Broker75 | July 4, 2007 at 10:56 pm |

[quote comment=”113498″][quote comment=”113420″][quote comment=”113358″]anyone else watching the hot dog eating contest?[/quote]

This is our FAMILY TIME TV watching on every
    4th of July. Even my 8yr old thinks it is hilarious !!! They (and everyone else should) get the joke !!![/quote]
    joke? stuff food down your throat and barf?

• Broker75 | July 4, 2007 at 11:02 pm |

The Padres are in camouflage tonight…quoting the wife, “those are uhhgly”.

• Terry Mark | July 4, 2007 at 11:07 pm |

The Indianapolis Star’s Indiana University beat reporter is stirring the hornet’s nest with this blog post.

While I understand some of his arguments for adding names to the back of the men’s basketball jerseys, I hope it never happens. That and the candy-striped warmup pants are two uniform related traditions that I don’t want IU to ever abandon.

I don’t need a nameplate to remember the uniform numbers of my favorite IU players. If I see someone in public wearing a No. 11 jersey, it’s safe to say it’s for Steve Alford. No. 40 makes me think of Calbert Cheaney and No. 24 will always be Randy Wittman to me.

When previous IU coach Mike Davis floated the idea of names on the jerseys, the negative reaction was intense enough that the idea was quickly shelved. Now, Davis got on the bad side of Hoosier Nation for more significant reasons, but the names-on-jerseys thing sure didn’t help his standing.

• BA | July 4, 2007 at 11:20 pm |

Found some shots of new football uniforms (college and NFL) in “action”…

Chargers

South Carolina (Under Armour vs Under Armour)

Oregon State

Pretty impressive for a video game. I remember the old Tecmo Bowl days…

• Mark Meadows | July 4, 2007 at 11:20 pm |

I know most people dont like the camo the Pads wear, but as someone who works with the military on day to day basis, I know they appreciate it. Plus the Pads go the extra mile, green hats, green undershirts AND green batting helmets (which appear to be their old non -coolflo helmets painted green).

Also funny flag cap incident tonight. Chris Young’s flag patch fell off during the game, while the camera was on him, and he bent over and picked it up and put it in his back pocket.

• Brett S | July 4, 2007 at 11:39 pm |

[quote comment=”113575″]new University of Montana football uni?

it sucks.[/quote]
    Looks better than the one shown in the top with all the other sports IMO.

• Donny | July 4, 2007 at 11:49 pm |

A little old, but here’s in interview with Justin Verlander, including info on why he wears #35.

• Donny | July 4, 2007 at 11:50 pm |

Lets try that again

Link

• Nick | July 4, 2007 at 11:55 pm |

• Broker75 | July 5, 2007 at 12:10 am |

[quote comment=”113617″]I’ll speak up as another guy who loves the Padre camo unis. I’m sad I didn’t get to watch the game and see ’em! (Full disclosure: I’m a long time Padre fan as well)[/quote]
    ..you missed a great finish.

• Terry Mark | July 5, 2007 at 12:10 am |

Some IU fan I am. Steve Alford wore No. 12, not No. 11 as I wrote in post 98.

• Dan | July 5, 2007 at 12:15 am |

[quote comment=”113603″][quote comment=”113575″]new University of Montana football uni?

it sucks.[/quote]
    Looks better than the one shown in the top with all the other sports IMO.[/quote]

With the exception of the white outline around the numbers, it looks nice.

• S Dot | July 5, 2007 at 1:48 am |

I could lamely attribute this mistake to confusion with Errek Suhr, a similarly diminuitive IU fan favorite, but that probably won’t fly.[/quote]

Dane Fife?

• Nick | July 5, 2007 at 2:01 am |

[quote comment=”113575″]new University of Montana football uni?

it sucks.[/quote]

One more instance where they tried to get it right but didn’t. If you’re going “Old School” why the redundant trim on the numbers? Also, the half baked attemt at UCLA Striping is thwarted by the current industry laziness/trend of cutting the lower part of the striping off at the upper seams.

This BS about UCLA Striping not going the full length has got to stop. High Schools can purchase full striped jerseys but the NFL Colts and the real UCLA can’t !!!

It’s a TRAVESTY on par with the cursed proliferation of “Vegas Gold”, the industry name for the color of weak cat pee pee.

• Stuby | July 5, 2007 at 8:44 am |

[quote comment=”113649″][quote comment=”113622″]Some IU fan I am. Steve Alford wore No. 12, not No. 11 as I wrote in post 98.

Dane Fife?[/quote]
    Funny, I probably would have thought ‘Isiah Thomas’ if I saw an #11 IU jersey.

• Michael | July 5, 2007 at 9:38 pm |

U happen to forget when Cleveland Indians pitcher Charles Nagy got a hit in the All Star Game when it was in San Diego, he wore a TEXAS RANGERS batting helmet