There’s Gotta Be a Better Way to Salute Mom

pinkjz2.jpg

Look, I’m all for moms (I have a cool one), I’m all for curing cancer (I’ll spare you the details, but let’s just say it’s done quite a number on my family), and I’m all for good causes in general, but there’s no getting around it: MLB’s annual pink-fest looks like shit. It’s bad enough to have to wear a color that clashes with your team’s chromatic scheme, but c’mon, pink? Ewwwww. Think of poor Carlos Gomez, who had to wear pink yesterday for his big league debut — is that really the look he wants saved for posterity?

Anyway, amidst all the pink wristbands, pink chest ribbons (here’s a closer look), and pink bats (another closer look), here are a few tidbits you might have missed:

• You’d think the big sportswear companies would be tasteful enough not to impose any logo creep on a cancer charity program. And you’d be wrong.
  • Kenny Lofton chose to wear his wristband on his ankle, leading one of the Rangers’ TV announcers to quip, “For a second there, I thought he was under house arrest.” (Incidentally, while preparing the screen grab of Lofton, I noticed that the Rangers are the latest team to put their logo on the back of the mound. How long have they been doing this?)
  • Mike Myers of the Yankees was planning to wear a pink glove, but the MLB honchos put the kibosh on that, figuring that batters might be distracted by a pitcher flashing pink leather (a reasonable line of thought, although Myers might counter that a pink glove is certainly no more distracting than, say, this). Anyway, Myers didn’t get into Sunday’s game anyway, so it was kinda moot. (For past entries on pitchers with colored gloves, look here and here.)

For additional info on regrettable pink uniforms, look here.

Road Trip Update: Big thanks to everyone who came out to the Uni Watch parties in Minneapolis and Chicago — it was great meeting all of you. I’ll have lots of photos to share in the next day or two. And sorry, no ticker today — wasn’t able to keep up with all the little tidbits while I was on the road. I’ll catch up on all that stuff tomorrow. OK? OK!

174 comments to There’s Gotta Be a Better Way to Salute Mom

• Big O | May 14, 2007 at 8:53 am |

Is that a half pink bat?

• tessa | May 14, 2007 at 8:58 am |

• James P. | May 14, 2007 at 9:01 am |

I think the pink bats thing is cool, but they should do light blue bats for prostate awareness and not just those wrist bands. Paul’s right when he says the pink clashes with the teams color pallet, but the wrist bands are better than making the players wear pink hats…

• Ray | May 14, 2007 at 9:02 am |

Speaking of Uni Watch outings – any plans on visiting the SouthEast, Paul?

• Kings33 | May 14, 2007 at 9:04 am |

So glad you said this… I not only hate the way it looks, but I’m sick and tired of this “me-too” charity glad-handing going on. Personally, I prefer the athletes who do good work more anonymously.

In closing…
    Yay Moms
    Yay the fight against Breast Cancer
    Boo “Look at me, I’m a gazillionaire wearing pink… you need to give money to fight breast cancer”

• Matt B | May 14, 2007 at 9:04 am |

Is there anyone left in America not aware of breast cancer?

• Paul Lukas | May 14, 2007 at 9:04 am |

Not at the moment. But I’ll get there eventually…

• Amy | May 14, 2007 at 9:05 am |

[quote comment=”85764″]Personally, I like the pink. I think it is supposed to be aesthetically jarring – if it blended in, it would not do too much for increasing awareness.[/quote]

I agree with this, I think the clashing actually makes it more effective. Of course I HATE pink and never wear it myself… but I like seeing the pro ball players wearing it.

• Kings33 | May 14, 2007 at 9:05 am |

Paul : +1 vote for a Charlotte, NC UniWatch trip

• Terry | May 14, 2007 at 9:06 am |

I mean, c’mon… it’s not like every team is wearing pink all season long… Paul, I agree with most of your assessments but I think that you’re way off base on this one. Everybody should do their part in the awareness of breast cancer and if MLB is wearing pink on Mother’s Day, kudos to them!

• Robert | May 14, 2007 at 9:07 am |

Were some players who do not ordinarily wear wristbands wearing the pink ones? Perhaps I do not notice wristband wearers typically, but it certainly seemed like there were a lot more players than usual sporting them.

• WVU Tom | May 14, 2007 at 9:08 am |

OK, let me start by saying 2 things:
    1. I did not get all the way through the comments from the weekend, so I apologize if this was already mentioned.
    2. I’m not 100% sure about this but…

When viewing the pics from “Timmer82’s” slideshow from the Padre’s retro night, I noticed the in scoreboard pics were also fashioned in 70’s retro fashion. If this was the case though, I believe the Cardinals logo should have actually looked like this, with the birds’ feet pointed in the opposite direction (which I believe was the way the logo looked in that era).

• WVU Tom | May 14, 2007 at 9:10 am |

sorry, I think my second link didn’t work–let’s try this.

• WVU Tom | May 14, 2007 at 9:11 am |

Darn!

I tried to correct my second link, but my post got eaten! I’ll try to fix it again in a moment.

• WVU Tom | May 14, 2007 at 9:12 am |
  • Chris Sk | May 14, 2007 at 9:15 am |

• Mike | May 14, 2007 at 9:26 am |

[quote comment=”85784″]Not sure if this got mentioned over the weekend comments but I was watching SportsCenter on Saturday morning and during the highlights of the Braves/Pirates game the annouser made the comment the the Pirates were wearing the ugliest uniforms he had ever seen (the red vests) and also commented “What are they parking cars” laughed out loud at that one.[/quote]

Thank goodness they are only wearing those red vest on Friday. Could you have imagined the color catastrophe if the Buccos had the red vests, white pants, pink wristbands, black hats? stop the madness!

• BobA | May 14, 2007 at 9:33 am |

Pink is the new purple.

• Jaye | May 14, 2007 at 9:42 am |

• Kevin from Ohio in Virginia | May 14, 2007 at 9:50 am |

No pictures found, yet. Anyone able to help?

• BDH | May 14, 2007 at 9:51 am |

• Ben | May 14, 2007 at 9:59 am |

• Brian W | May 14, 2007 at 10:22 am |

All I know is, the Pirates scored 13 runs yesterday — this is more than they have scored in like a jillion years or so — I will not complain if they keep using pink bats.

• TX Ken | May 14, 2007 at 10:24 am |

But you probably won’t listen to me, because I like the Padres’ military uniforms too (as long as its just once a year).

• =bg= | May 14, 2007 at 10:25 am |

[quote comment=”85791″]Pink is the new purple.[/quote]

Wait, I thought red was the new purple.

• Amy | May 14, 2007 at 10:28 am |

• TX Ken | May 14, 2007 at 10:30 am |

[quote comment=”85793″]Maybe next Mother’s Day, the MLB will help bring awareness to women’s heart disease, which kills more women per year than breast cancer. The symbol is a red dress. Now THAT could be fun to watch!!!![/quote]

Well we know what causes heart disease, and research money isn’t as desperately needed. Just get some exercise people!

• Paul Lukas | May 14, 2007 at 10:46 am |

Why not just wear sleeve patches that say, “Fight Cancer,” or black chest patches shaped like a nasty-looking tumor, batting helmet decals that show a phone number where people can call to make a research donation, or ANYTHING OTHER THAN PINK?

Just a thought.

• Teebz | May 14, 2007 at 10:50 am |

[quote comment=”85798″]Interesting uni-related note on the Ducks vs. Wings broadcast last night… Anaheim GM Brian Burke made a bunch of players change from high uni numbers to single or low doube digit uni #s. While I originally thought this was a case of young players wearing high numbers during late-season call ups only to take more traditional numbers when they made the team, last night’s broadcasters claimed Burke felt that “…if single digits were good enough for players in the 30s, they were good enough for the Ducks”[/quote]

Burke did the same thing with the Canucks.

• Beantown | May 14, 2007 at 10:51 am |

Paul, I’m usually with you on most of your opinions, but I have to go with the mob on this one. It’s one day a year, and it’s for a worthy cause. I think we need to shelve our affinity for uniform aesthetics for one day to make sure that the message is obvious.

• Rich Bruns | May 14, 2007 at 10:54 am |

I’m suprised that nobody’s linked this gallery of the US Women’s game from Saturday where they wore pink. Maybe it was mentioned in the comments over the weekend but I wasn’t on too much.

• Cathy | May 14, 2007 at 10:56 am |

• Ben Thoma | May 14, 2007 at 11:08 am |

Here’s a question: There seemed to have been more players wearing pink sweatbands than using pink bats. Is this simply because so many players don’t use Louisville Slugger anymore, or is it somehow more tough to wear pink sweatbands than to swing pink bats?

• Kenny | May 14, 2007 at 11:11 am |

Sorry I couldn’t make it to the Chicago party…I had a college graduation to celebrate (not mine)…next time though

• TD | May 14, 2007 at 11:14 am |

Yes. Half-pink bats. Saw two at the Twins game last night – Morneau had the bare ash handle like the Dodger linked above, while Guillen of the Tigers had half-pink with a black handle for one at-bat then bailed on the concept returning to his regular black bat for the rest of the game.

There were also two distinct shades – the very light powder pink and the darker pepto pink.

• Joe Drennan | May 14, 2007 at 11:17 am |

Sports is a great venue to raise awarness with single day, league wide promotions like this. I wouldn’t be against more promotions for similar causes. I would just fear that we’d get teams focusing on things like “Pardon Paris Hilton” or “Mets for Obama” (If Hillary is such a Yankees fan, Mets fans have to vote Republican or for Obama).

I think league wide promotions for bonafide good casues is a great use of the games. The NHL has used the Hockey Fights Cancer night where they auction off the jerseys that have quite an understted patch. Cancer isn’t the only cause that could/should be observed though. Causes like reading/education, physical education, fire safety during fire saftey month(Come on, the Calgary Flames could have a wicked fire saftey night) and sportsmanship/citizenship.

• Zurk | May 14, 2007 at 11:18 am |

If they just used a patch or something along those lines they wouldn’t be getting near the publicity which in turn raises awareness which is what they are looking for. Seems like it is working.

• Perry | May 14, 2007 at 11:19 am |

• Anthony Verna | May 14, 2007 at 11:19 am |

[quote comment=”85837″]Causes like reading/education, physical education, fire safety during fire saftey month(Come on, the Calgary Flames could have a wicked fire saftey night) and sportsmanship/citizenship.[/quote]

As long as the Flames wouldn’t get renamed like the Bullets/Wizards!

• tim b | May 14, 2007 at 11:20 am |

[quote comment=”85777″]OK, let me start by saying 2 things:
    2. I’m not 100% sure about this but…

Yeah, I know, it’s a subtle detail…I think I’ve been visiting this site too long![/quote]

And tails on opposite sides of the bat.

• Perry | May 14, 2007 at 11:22 am |

• Marty Met | May 14, 2007 at 11:26 am |

[quote comment=”85837″]I like the idea of the Mother’s Day deal. I do think logos should be left off anything pink though, that includes the pink Louisville Sluggers. As mentioned earlier, we should see blue bats on Dad’s day.

Steinbrenner is a big Republican supporter, need I bring up the whole illeagal contributions to Nixon episode? And there is no bigger Yankee fan than Rudy Guliani,GOP presidential candidate. Saying Mets fans have to vote Republican is just stupid.

• Terry Mark | May 14, 2007 at 11:27 am |

[quote comment=”85822″][quote comment=”85812″]Sorry, but I think the pink is a lot of fun. For a sport with 162 games in a season, its great to have some variety, and I bet the players would agree. …Sure it looks out of place, but I think its supposed to stand out. And its only one day a year, so lighten up people.[/quote]

Just a thought.[/quote]

Uniform patches are so ubiquitous these days that a “Fight Cancer” patch probably would be lost amid the clutter. I agree with those that argue that the jarring contrast of pink bats and accessories is an effective vehicle to raise awareness.

When it comes to an often terminal illness, I don’t think we can be too aware. How long have we been “aware” of lung cancer? Yet there are millions of smokers out there puffing away.

• Michael Churchill | May 14, 2007 at 11:31 am |

It’s in the article that you linked.

[quote]The logo of the Club’s sponsor MANSION appears in Mandarin Chinese script on the away and the third kit.

• Jill | May 14, 2007 at 11:32 am |

My biggest gripe was the price of the bats and the relatively small amount given to the Susan G. Komen Foundation. You can read more on that rant here.[/quote]

I think more guys wore the bands than used the bats because once they find a bat they like, they don’t like to switch. Some players are much more particular on how a bat feels than others.

My biggest gripe with all this pink is like you said about the very small amount that actually goes to the Komen foundation. Don’t buy a pink bat for $70, write a check for $50 and you will be doing much more.

• marc | May 14, 2007 at 11:43 am |

Paul, what about a trip to Washington D.C.?

• PAULtergeist | May 14, 2007 at 11:52 am |

Yeah and when you buy their stuff they kindly supply you with a big UA logo sticker so you can do some free advertising for them… actually its more like you pay them to advertise for them… something’s not quite right there.[/quote]

Come on now…Let’s lay off of the Logo Creep thing…You don’t HAVE to use the decal…you CAN throw it away…

• Perry | May 14, 2007 at 11:53 am |

[quote comment=”85848″][quote comment=”85842″]Following up my own post, can anyone tell what that is next to the Mansion logo on the Spurs away (navy) and third (yellow) shirts? Looks like Chinese characters.

It’s in the article that you linked.

The Club’s Executive Director Paul Barber said: “The Club has always enjoyed massive international support and it is a mark of the Club’s tradition and success that we can now look to broaden our appeal in markets such as China. Working in the Chinese market is an exciting prospect for us and for our partners, MANSION. We look forward to exploring the Chinese market in the years ahead working closely with MANSION who already have many customers in this part of the world.” [/quote][/quote]

Thanks — guess I need to read more carefully!

• Mike | May 14, 2007 at 12:00 pm |

It is not just baseball, it is a lot of things. Like buy this pink Campbell’s soup and you will be fighting cancer. It is a marketing ploy and it really pisses me off.[/quote]

An all pink bat on the Pirates..

• Ian K | May 14, 2007 at 12:02 pm |

[quote comment=”85849″]

There’s a good paragraph about this criticism on the Wikipedia page (reliable, I know, sorry). I was trying to research if the association of breast cancer research and the color pink is due to the Susan G. Komen Foundation, which is the most prominent organization for this cause. Paul mentioned earlier that a “Fight Cancer” patch would serve the same purpose and I’m not sure if this is a Komen/MLB association or not. But could MLB be one of these ‘pinkwashing’ orgs? Wikipedia article

On a different note, I’m looking forward to seeing pictures from the weekend Uni Watch gatherings. I know Paul’s trips are infrequent but I was lucky that he came to Dallas and it was a blast!

• Joe Drennan | May 14, 2007 at 12:02 pm |

OK, I’ve had two post eaten. Grrr.

• Buu | May 14, 2007 at 12:03 pm |

Paul,
    about the logo on the mound thing, if my memory serves me correctly the indians were the first team to do it (at the beginning of last season) and i think MLB made them take it off.
    guess that aint in the rule books anymore…

• bj in gainesville | May 14, 2007 at 12:07 pm |

R[quote comment=”85854″][quote comment=”85815″][quote comment=”85802″]The pink isn’t so bad once a year, but while watching “Baseball Tonight” yesterday afternoon, Karl Ravich had the Astros’ Craig Biggio show off his bands during an interview and boom!, there was the Under Armor Logo. For me, UA is becoming like Nike now – they just can’t help themselves with sticking their logo everywhere. AND the are flooding the market with more sucky uniform designs (i.e. Maryland football).[/quote]

What is the difference in what UA does and what most Auto Sales Companies do by plastering their name and location of their car lot on the back of an automobile when they put it on the lot? You are paying to advertise for them…[/quote]

the UnderArmour products aren’t even specially produced for this promo, unlike some of the other stuff. They’re available here. Right on their website. And it’s not as if Biggio doesn’t wear the UA logo’d wristbands anyway. BTW, UA even has an entire program centered around Breast Cancer Awareness/Pink here.

• Steve Flack | May 14, 2007 at 12:14 pm |

I’d like to see if there any foul or home run balls caught yesterday with a big pink mark on it from the pink bats…

-Steve!

• Joe Drennan | May 14, 2007 at 12:16 pm |

I’m surprised, with all this talk of pink and breast cancer awareness, that Minnesota Wild goalie Josh Harding and his late season mask change hasn’t been mentioned. Full details and pictures here.

• Joe Drennan | May 14, 2007 at 12:17 pm |

I’m surprised, with all this talk of pink and breast cancer awareness, that Minnesota Wild goalie Josh Harding and his late season mask change hasn’t been mentioned. Full details and pictures at http://www.canada.co....

I tried linking this, but it ate my post three times. Copy and paste the url.

• Joe Drennan | May 14, 2007 at 12:17 pm |

Sure, not it works!

• KW | May 14, 2007 at 12:21 pm |

Paul – just started reading the blogs about two months ago and gotta say that I love everything that I read…that is EXCEPT for today. There is no way that the Pink was overdone…come one, it’s one day…even if it was Purple for a day we could all deal with it

• joe | May 14, 2007 at 12:26 pm |

I make them remove it beboer I’ll take the car off the lot.

• Brian from Short Island | May 14, 2007 at 12:26 pm |

http://www.tottenham.... The 125th anniversary kit is the blue/white one shown yesterday. That’s next year’s home kit they wore.

The Mandarin text is just “Mansion” in Chinese. I hate it.

Come on you Spurs!

• joe | May 14, 2007 at 12:26 pm |

I make them remove it before I’ll take the car off the lot.[quote comment=”85875″][quote comment=”85854″][quote comment=”85815″][quote comment=”85802″]The pink isn’t so bad once a year, but while watching “Baseball Tonight” yesterday afternoon, Karl Ravich had the Astros’ Craig Biggio show off his bands during an interview and boom!, there was the Under Armor Logo. For me, UA is becoming like Nike now – they just can’t help themselves with sticking their logo everywhere. AND the are flooding the market with more sucky uniform designs (i.e. Maryland football).[/quote]

I make them remove it before I’ll take the car off the lot.[/quote]

• Dwight | May 14, 2007 at 12:29 pm |

Great hosiery on BOTH teams in this article from ESPN.

• Dwight | May 14, 2007 at 12:29 pm |

[quote comment=”85878″]Great hosiery on BOTH teams in this article from ESPN. [/quote]

• Philly Bill | May 14, 2007 at 12:30 pm |

Another red vest mindf**k:

• Dwight | May 14, 2007 at 12:30 pm |

Ok wont’t link the page, so go to ESPN.com and find Caple’s article.

• Philly Bill | May 14, 2007 at 12:30 pm |

This thing be eatin’ mad posts today.

• Philly Bill | May 14, 2007 at 12:33 pm |

Yesterday Nelson Cruz was one of the Rangers’ pink bat wielders (can’t find a photo of it), but he broke it on a ground-out. He later hit a walk-off homer with his usual bat.

• Jud | May 14, 2007 at 12:33 pm |

I happen to REALLY like the Pink shit on Mother’s Day. I think it’s pretty cool.

As for the UA Wristbands, UA actually SELLS them. Clearly they just furnished their athletes with a few sets for the event. Most the teams just get generic pinks wristbands for any player/person that wants to wear them. UA is just going the extra mile (obviously not PURELY out of the kindness of their hearts ;))

• Matt | May 14, 2007 at 12:35 pm |

There are far more deadly cancers affecting more of the population than breast cancer, although yes it is mothers day.

But no teams do anything different for fathers day.

• patrick | May 14, 2007 at 12:36 pm |

• doug | May 14, 2007 at 12:42 pm |

A look at how our local Salt Lake Bees (Angels AAA affiliate) chimed in on the pinkness:

(warning: Flash gallery; images 7, 8, 9, 10, 12 give the best(?!) perspective)

Points for the two-color simplicity when it could have been worse (they *could have* somehow jackaloped the signature Bees yellow into it…) A worthy cause and all, but geez…

• Perry | May 14, 2007 at 12:48 pm |

[quote comment=”85887″]I don’t like the pink because it’s the only cancer people seem to want to bring awareness to.

But no teams do anything different for fathers day.

They should have yellow ribbons and arm bands to raise awareness and raise money for cancer in general.[/quote]

They did a blue/prostate cancer theme last year on Father’s Day. (Maybe this year too?) And then there is this special offer from the Brewers.

• Amy | May 14, 2007 at 12:48 pm |

[quote comment=”85887″]
    But no teams do anything different for fathers day.

Not that I disagree about the general cancer awareness part, but they wear light blue stuff for prostate cancer awareness on father’s day. This link is from last year but my guess is they’ll do it again.

2006 Father’s Day

• al | May 14, 2007 at 12:57 pm |

not a very original idea over at cnn.com

• Jim | May 14, 2007 at 1:17 pm |

It’s taken years of Uniwatch reading to figure out, but I’ve finally done it:

Purple = RED and Blue
    Pink = RED and white
    Pirates alternates – RED
    Diamondback’s new Uni’s – RED
    Buffalo Slug – gores people, causing RED blood (OK, maybe that one’s a stretch)

Paul doesn’t have uniform issues. He’s just anti-communist.

As for the Brewer’s free screenings: Move to Chicago. We have 162 of those. They’re called Cubs games.

• Kenny | May 14, 2007 at 1:23 pm |

NHL playoff beards

Not a big hockey fan, but I love this tradition

• Kenny | May 14, 2007 at 1:24 pm |

1 link and it gets eaten?

• ML | May 14, 2007 at 1:28 pm |

[quote comment=”85894″]not a very original idea over at cnn.com

Al, I was just going to post that. Paul, I hope you’re getting something in the tip jar from those guys…

• Matthew S. | May 14, 2007 at 1:33 pm |

I had a friend who worked for the Rangers leading up to this season and he said that the mound logo is new this season along with the big ‘T’ in the grass over the centerfield wall (which you can kind of see here: http://texas.rangers...)

• Paul Lukas | May 14, 2007 at 1:34 pm |

[quote comment=”85911″]1 link and it gets eaten?[/quote]

• jay | May 14, 2007 at 1:38 pm |

Upfront disclosure: This is a cynical and sarcastic question.

• Colin | May 14, 2007 at 1:54 pm |

• Joe Drennan | May 14, 2007 at 1:58 pm |

[quote comment=”85926″][quote comment=”85830″]Speaking of pink…I know this was mentioned, but here is the US women’s soccer team in action over the weekend:

I don’t follow U.S. women’s soccer very closely, but is there a reason for the green armband on her left bicep. Seems out of place on a national team.[/quote]

The green armband is the designation for the captain, much like the C or A in hockey. Soccer goes with the arm band. I’ve seen some wear it on their shin though. I would have though the US team would have a Red, White, Blue one though.

• Matthew S. | May 14, 2007 at 1:58 pm |

I’m guessing that’s the captain’s armband. It’s supposed to stick out on the uniform so that each team’s captain is easily identifiable.

Examples: http://img.epinions....

• Matthew S. | May 14, 2007 at 2:00 pm |

You beat me to it Joe D. Kudos.

• Ryan B. | May 14, 2007 at 2:02 pm |

Paul would probably like English football club Charlton Athletic’s socks.

• Jill | May 14, 2007 at 2:05 pm |

The socks look good. I like that color scheme. Too bad the rest of the kit looks like crap, with all the random striping, piping and are those brown pit stains?

• jesse | May 14, 2007 at 2:12 pm |

[quote comment=”85918″]Upfront disclosure: This is a cynical and sarcastic question.

When did Mother’s Day become a day about breast cancer and Father’s Day become a day about prostate cancer?[/quote]

I think that is a good (if cynical and sarcastic) point.

I don’t mind the pink bats or whatever once a year. What really grinds my gears however is the implication that because I didn’t wear pink wristbands (because I think it looks stupid) that I am somehow either [1] a proponent of breast cancer or [2] insufficiently aware of its existence.

It is not enough for MLB to support the Susan Koman foundation (a good cause) they have to let you know that they support the cause by making everybody wear pink. I have the same problem with yellow ribbons on cars, and American flags on jerseys. MLB could have raised every bit of the money they raised yesterday by auctioning off regular bats and jerseys, but it would have lacked the marketing effect garnered by showing everybody what a good deed they were doing.

• todd krevanchi | May 14, 2007 at 2:16 pm |

would anyone else feel just a bit uncomfortable getting a prostate exam in the parking lot of a milwaukee athletic venue?

• Vincent | May 14, 2007 at 2:16 pm |

Question about the MLB’s pink day.
    Was it mandatory? I mean, a player who doesn’t want to wear something pink or use a pink bat, is he able to?

• Ed | May 14, 2007 at 2:27 pm |

But no teams do anything different for fathers day.

“They”?

So, your comment about Father’s Day has already been answered.

However, I still have to take issue with this comment. The reason why there’s so much airplay about breast cancer is because the group advocating the position has actually gone out and done something about it. The Susan Komen foundation has gone out put time and effort into fundraising, education, and working to get exposure – they’ve gone out and gotten face time with the leagues and the teams.

If you’re so worked up about other cancers, then work with your charity of choice, or form one yourself, and then put the time and effort into getting exposure. No one is holding you back.

Sheesh.

ed

• Stuby | May 14, 2007 at 2:30 pm |

An all pink bat on the Pirates..

• Minna H. | May 14, 2007 at 2:37 pm |

I hate the pink thing. First of all, I hate pink in general (as most of you know). Secondly, I hate pink used as a representative for breast cancer. Third of all, I agree with Jill and jesse, don’t wear pink or buy a pink bat–send the money directly to the foundation. Buying a cap or bat is more about “look at me being supportive” rather than actually being supportive.

I also agree with jay’s cynical question. If they HAVE to do cancer awareness, why do it on Mother’s and Father’s Days?

Looks like I agree with the Js today.
    Although, the one thing I have to say is that guys look better in pink than do women.

• marc | May 14, 2007 at 2:40 pm |

si has a photo gallery of people in odd uniforms (i.e. jerrry rice in seattle) and no mention of uniwatch

• Sir Jock Strap | May 14, 2007 at 2:48 pm |

Read the ESPN article for the first time today. I know it’s late, but for what it’s worth …

It might not be as jarring to some, because …

1. It’s Dwight Evans.
    2. He looks like Rafael Palmeiro.

Sir Jock Strap has posted.

• todd krevanchi | May 14, 2007 at 2:48 pm |

ok, so the komen foundation gets a donation when you buy a pink bat…

but what was really accomplished by the teams wearing pink ribbons on their unis, wearing pink wristbands on their arms, using pink bats, and affixing a pink plaque on the bases?

was money raised by them doing this?

unless they auction off all of that game worn/game used stuff, i dont see the point.

EVERYONE knows about breast cancer. im not sure how much more “aware” i or anyone else can be made.

its like mlb said, “were just making sure our fans are made aware that there is a form of cancer which afflicts women called breast cancer. and we will do so by wearing and using some pink things.”

id rather see the greeting card companies, and the larger national flower chains make a donation for each mothers day card and floral arrangement sold during the week of mothers day.

• Matt B | May 14, 2007 at 2:50 pm |

• Perry | May 14, 2007 at 2:54 pm |

• Sir Jock Strap | May 14, 2007 at 3:02 pm |

[quote comment=”85971″][quote comment=”85935″]Paul would probably like English football club Charlton Athletic’s socks.[/quote]

Unfortunately they and their socks were relegated; that photo is from what will be their last Premiership game for at least a year.[/quote]

They’re being replaced by a team that wears these…

• Mark Max | May 14, 2007 at 3:05 pm |

An all pink bat on the Pirates..
    Wait, when the hell did the Pirates start wearing a sleeveless pinstripe home uni?[/quote]

• Mike | May 14, 2007 at 3:07 pm |

[quote comment=”85880″]Another red vest mindf**k:

Friday after work I was at a bar talking with a friend, and when he looked up at the Braves/Pirates game on TV, he said, “who the %*#! are the Braves playing?!”[/quote]

Holy Crap!!! I did not even notice Jack Wilson’s red shoes!!!!!! AUGH!!!!!!

• Jeremy | May 14, 2007 at 3:07 pm |

This whole message board has turned into one giant bitchfest.

• Joe | May 14, 2007 at 3:08 pm |

[quote comment=”85888″][quote comment=”85802″]The pink isn’t so bad once a year, but while watching “Baseball Tonight” yesterday afternoon, Karl Ravich had the Astros’ Craig Biggio show off his bands during an interview and boom!, there was the Under Armor Logo. For me, UA is becoming like Nike now – they just can’t help themselves with sticking their logo everywhere. AND the are flooding the market with more sucky uniform designs (i.e. Maryland football).[/quote]

Have we ever thought that maybe, just MAYBE Under Armour didnt produce these just for breast cancer awareness day, but rather they just sent, or donated the pink wristbands they already sell? I was just on the UA site, and they do indeed sell pink under armour branded wristbands. I hate logo creeps as much as the next guy, but in this case, I have no problem.[/quote]

UA is not doing anything that any other sportswear company wouldn’t do..hell, if I had major leaguer who was willing to wear wristbands with my company on them you better believe I would send him 10 pairs! This is what companies do to promote, and it’s always been a part of sports.

Any why are we hating on the MD unis? Have you seen Oregon or Miami recently? I think the UA unis have been some of the better new designs out there.

• Mike | May 14, 2007 at 3:10 pm |

[quote comment=”85976″][quote comment=”85954″][quote comment=”85858″][quote comment=”85849″][quote comment=”85833″]I think the pink bat is enough. While watching games yesterday I thought that the pink bat was close enough to a natural wood color that it wasn’t distracting. The wristbands, bases, and other pink invasions seem like overkill.

An all pink bat on the Pirates..

They’ve been wearing the pinstripe jerseys for sunday home games for at least the past 2 or 3 years.[/quote]

The thing with those pinstripes, they are so thin you hardly notice them, unlike say, this…

• Matthew S. | May 14, 2007 at 3:12 pm |

If you like stripes, Sunderland won promotion to the Premiership: http://www.sporting-...

Birmingham City also won promotion to the Premiership, but they’re uniforms are kinda boring. But check out the stylistic team logo in the seats behind the team: http://www.crowngrou...

• Mike | May 14, 2007 at 3:12 pm |

[quote comment=”85880″]Another red vest mindf**k:

This is worst than I thought…I had never noticed the red shoes and shoe laces Jack Wilson is wearing….I wonder how many other guys on the team do this…..oh the humanity….

• Mike | May 14, 2007 at 3:14 pm |

This picture, posted earlier, is bad enough with the red vest, but why, why, why did you have to wear red cleats and red shoelaces with them Jack?

• Sir Jock Strap | May 14, 2007 at 3:18 pm |

One Giant Bitchfest.

That’s an awesome name. You should trademark it.

Make some t-shirts.

• Sir Jock Strap | May 14, 2007 at 3:19 pm |

[quote comment=”85989″][quote comment=”85978″]This whole message board has turned into one giant bitchfest.[/quote]

One Giant Bitchfest.

That’s an awesome name. You should trademark it.

Make some t-shirts.[/quote]

Strike that.

Looks like someone already beat you to the bitchfest…

• Anthony Verna | May 14, 2007 at 3:20 pm |

One Giant Bitchfest.

That’s an awesome name. You should trademark it.

Make some t-shirts.[/quote]

I’ll take the case!

0=)

• Jarred | May 14, 2007 at 3:20 pm |

Team Canada’s women’s team wores pink jerseys on April 7th in a win vs. Team USA’s women’s team.

• Stuby | May 14, 2007 at 3:21 pm |

[quote comment=”85967″]The boobyprize for last place in my Premiership roto league is an article of Abby Wambach gear (long story). Since I took last, there’s a very real chance I’ll be the proud owner of a pink USA Soccer jersey in the near future. Can’t wait![/quote]
    I’m hoping you intended the ‘boobyprize’ pun.

• B.G. | May 14, 2007 at 3:25 pm |
  • Anthony Verna | May 14, 2007 at 3:26 pm |

Excuse me. “I’ll take the case” should have been followed by this obscure cartoon link:

• Chi Wei Hu | May 14, 2007 at 3:31 pm |

Rowland-Smith

• Joey Guns | May 14, 2007 at 3:38 pm |

Ken Griffey gave a heckler his jock strap during a game!

Also, Urlacher’s jock strap from the Super Bowl, is up for bidding on Ebay:

• Philly Bill | May 14, 2007 at 3:39 pm |

[quote comment=”86000″]Possible appearance of the first major leaguer with a hyphenated last name. As reported in Seattle P-I. See the `Waiting for the Word’ subhead:

Rowland-Smith[/quote]

Ah, now there’s a relevant bit of information! Thanks for breaking up the Atomic Bitchfest.

• Denis | May 14, 2007 at 3:42 pm |

How about to Pittsburgh?

• tessa | May 14, 2007 at 3:48 pm |

To continue my part in the One Giant Bitchfest…

Yes, everyone “knows” about breast cancer. Just like everyone “knows” about other cancers, AIDS, Autism, Supporting Our Troops(TM), and other diseases and causes. The fact is that few of these things affect the majority of us on a daily basis, and human nature puts things out of sight, out of mind. So those who need money, support, etc. try to put visually striking reminders in our path in the form of ribbons, flyers, billboards, pins, and pink bats. It seems perfectly appropriate (and necessary) to me.

It is one thing to know something – it is another thing to consider it. The choice of pink, baseball, and Mother’s Day all fit in with making us consider breast cancer. Mother’s Day isn’t all about cancer, but to mention a cancer that (mostly) affects women on one of the only days we have to celebrate women makes sense to this humble, wordy UniWatcher.

End diatribe.

• PAULtergeist | May 14, 2007 at 3:50 pm |

[quote comment=”85770″][quote comment=”85767″]Speaking of Uni Watch outings – any plans on visiting the SouthEast, Paul?[/quote]

Not at the moment. But I’ll get there eventually…[/quote]

How about Myrtle Beach, Raleigh, or Charlotte?

• Brandon Davis | May 14, 2007 at 3:55 pm |

• Colin | May 14, 2007 at 4:01 pm |

Uni-related question: If a person wanted to wear pink for breast cancer any other day of the year, would it be outlawed?

• Minna H. | May 14, 2007 at 4:05 pm |

[quote comment=”86009″]To continue my part in the One Giant Bitchfest…

End diatribe.[/quote]

I understand what you are saying, tessa, but I don’t think it really does help people think about breast cancer. It’s just that MLB Mother’s Day thing they do. I think at this point, people are numb to the meaning behind it.

Now, if the MLB would take another day and have someone with breast cancer in each stadium sing the national anthem or do something, plus give stamped envelopes with a foundation’s name on it to each person entering the stadium, plus agreeing to match (for that day) each attendee’s donation–then, we might have something. In other words, put some bite into it.

Plus, I really hate pink.

Jeremy, thanks for contributing to the bitchfest. You have to appreciate the irony.

P.S. This is kind of neat.

• Joe Drennan | May 14, 2007 at 4:06 pm |

To me I think it’s like green on St. Patrick’s Day. It makes sense. M:B tried doing a good thing and they did just that. While there was a lot of pink, they could have gone a lot further. There could have been pink pinstripes, pink stitching on the balls, pink pink chalk for the foul lines, pink stirups, or even pink beer.

At first I was annoyed by the UA logo on the arm bands, but if they already sell them, it’s most likley they just shipped them instead of making a special batch. That I am OK with.

• WVU Tom | May 14, 2007 at 4:10 pm |

[quote comment=”85917″][quote comment=”85911″]1 link and it gets eaten?[/quote]

People, if you have posting problems, don’t post a comment about the problem — just email me and I’ll try to recover your post.[/quote]

OK, I’m not trying to defy Paul by posting a comment about my comment getting eaten, but I thought I’d ask a question to the group:

Would it be better to bring back the security code, if possible?

I know we’ve probably all had comments washed away by invalid security code errors in the past (including some lengthy, well-thought out ones myself), but even as frustrating as that was, it was still better, IMO, than having your comments not show up because they were blocked by a filter.

I guess for me, I’d prefer to know my comment was lost due to my own stupidity rather than something I have no control over. Of course what really sucks is the fact that there are assholes out there who SPAM so much that all of these measures are necessary!

• Jim | May 14, 2007 at 4:10 pm |

Pink bat = phallic.

That is all.

• dpnation | May 14, 2007 at 4:12 pm |

I don’t think this move is legal in soccer.

• Stuby | May 14, 2007 at 4:12 pm |

On a lighter note, how ’bout these uniforms. They’ve been showing reruns on ESPN Classic. Enjoy.

• Kevin A | May 14, 2007 at 4:15 pm |

I was watching a Braves telecast the other day when they were playing Padres and they were talking about Jose Cruz stirrups. this may have been mentioned before but i dont know. and the announcer mention one side being cut shorter than the other it’d be interesting to see how many ppl put theres on backwards in the day.

• Ian K | May 14, 2007 at 4:16 pm |

[quote comment=”86017″]How about Birmingham; Tallahassee; Bismarck, ND; Fairbanks, AK; my cousin’s house in Toledo; the parking lot of a high school in Nevada. Cmon people, this is game is just stupid. It’s PL’s life. Let him make the decisions and live with it.

[/quote]

Thank you Colin. To those not yet fortunate to attend a Uni Watch party, just do what I did. Pray every night to the god of stirrups and offer a sacrifice of purple and pajama pants at the altar of Jamie Moyer’s socks. Eventually Paul will come to your city.

• Steve | May 14, 2007 at 4:17 pm |

A completely valid use of fake stirrup socks, in my opinion.
    And some more nice usage of said garment…

(sorry if this has bee mentioned before, I did a quick archive search and didn’t see anything)

and some more…

• Sir Jock Strap | May 14, 2007 at 4:18 pm |

[quote comment=”86025″]Pink bat = phallic.

That is all.[/quote]

Or purple for that matter.

Gnome sane.

• tessa | May 14, 2007 at 4:21 pm |

[quote comment=”86025″]Pink bat = phallic.

That is all.[/quote]

Not any more so than a black bat. Or a wood bat, for that matter.

• todd krevanchi | May 14, 2007 at 4:37 pm |

[/quote]

dude! (wondering how many will be google image searching jamie kotsay)

• justin | May 14, 2007 at 4:42 pm |

[quote comment=”86040″][quote comment=”86031″]A completely valid use of fake stirrup socks, in my opinion.
    [/quote]

dude! (wondering how many will be google image searching jamie kotsay)[/quote]

Guilty.

• Teebz | May 14, 2007 at 5:20 pm |

[quote comment=”86009″]To continue my part in the One Giant Bitchfest…

End diatribe.[/quote]

I agree fully with Tessa. People, you need to drop the whining about the pink. Pink is the accepted colour for girls, just as blue is for boys. Since the majority of breast cancer sufferers are women, pink is a very appropriate colour. Since the majority of prostate cancer sufferers are men (read: all, I’d hope), blue is a very appropriate colour.

Having it on Mother’s Day, a day designed for honouring women, is very appropriate as well. Same goes for Father’s Day.

• Brett | May 14, 2007 at 5:26 pm |

[quote comment=”85797″]Anyone else notice that Coco Crisp, a notorious “no batting glove” guy, wore batting gloves this weekend?

No pictures found, yet. Anyone able to help?[/quote]

I might be able to. I was at yesterdays game, and got a good shot of Coco in the first inning, but I do not know if his hands are visable. I will check later tonight, and post the pic if they are.

• Adam | May 14, 2007 at 5:35 pm |

[quote comment=”86021″]
    [/quote]

The point is, though, maybe it doesn’t help very much, but what does it hurt? If the “pro” column is “possibly helps raise money for breast cancer research” and the “con” is “annoys people who hate pink”, I really don’t have too much sympathy for the “con” side.

• scott | May 14, 2007 at 5:41 pm |

MLB is actually pretty tame compared to minor league teams when it comes to the use of pink on Mothers Day. The pink bats, ribbons and wristbands seem sufficient to promote awareness. The minor league teams that get on board the promotion all seem to dress in pink jerseys and caps, which REALLY is overkill.

• joe | May 14, 2007 at 5:53 pm |

Also, the A’s auctioned off their game worn jerseys that included the pink ribbon patches yesterday, raising $8,800 for the American Heart Association.[/quote]

Uhhh, the boob cancer jersey sales went to the AHA????

• zach | May 14, 2007 at 5:54 pm |

hey Paul atleast they didnt do purple becuase then u probablly would have had a heart attack

• scott | May 14, 2007 at 5:57 pm |

Visalia Oaks
    West Michigan Whitecaps
    West Virginia Power
    Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

• Jaye | May 14, 2007 at 5:58 pm |

A nonpink item:

Don’t know if this was ever mentioned, but when Adam LaRoche had to pick the jersey number that he’d wear with the Pirates, he kept his promise to Andruw Jones and picked No. 25. The two developed a strong friendship when playing with the Braves. LaRoche (or is that La Roche ummm???) fully admits that he wears the No. 25 in honor of the Braves Gold Glove center fielder.

And why do some announcers insist on pronouncing his name AUN-drew… it’s the last syllable that has the funky spelling, not the first.

Ok, I’m finished… pack to the pink ink.

• Mike | May 14, 2007 at 6:08 pm |

I like that MLB uses pink on Mother’s Day to raise awareness on breast cancer, it’s a great gesture.

• Mike | May 14, 2007 at 6:11 pm |

The Pirates have some of the best looking jerseys in baseball. The home, away, and pinstripe home jerseys look great, and even the red vest jersey isn’t that bad.

• Go Cyclones! | May 14, 2007 at 6:12 pm |

[quote comment=”86072″]Does anyone have a complete list of minor league baseball teams that wore pink jerseys for Mothers Day? Here’s 23 that I found searching Google news:

Altoona Curve
    Somerset Patriots
    South Bend Silverhawks
    Visalia Oaks
    West Michigan Whitecaps
    West Virginia Power
    Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

And the Joliet JakcHammers of the Northern League have announced they will wear pink jerseys EVERY Wednesday home game.[/quote]

No picture, but everybody on the Iowa Cubs (Triple A of CHC) used pink bats except for the catcher.

• Timmer | May 14, 2007 at 7:03 pm |

• Chad G | May 14, 2007 at 7:19 pm |

[quote comment=”86097″]Mets are wearing pinstripes….yet with black/blue caps and black socks/undershirts. I thought whenever they wore pinstripes they went all blue? Strange.[/quote]

Do you mean they always wear blue when they go with pinstripes? Anyway you put it, the answer is no. They wear the all black hat with both black jerseys, the black and blue hat with road greys, home whites and pinstripes. And the sparingly wear the blue caps with the home whites and the pinstripes.

• Paul Lukas | May 14, 2007 at 8:19 pm |

Look who else wore pink on Sunday.

• patrick | May 14, 2007 at 8:27 pm |

[quote comment=”86070″][quote comment=”86014″]Louisville Slugger wasn’t the only company providing players with pink bats, as you can see in this photo of Torii Hunter.

Uhhh, the boob cancer jersey sales went to the AHA????[/quote]

Joe, I thought the same thing, rather bizarre

• diz | May 14, 2007 at 8:34 pm |

[quote comment=”85876″][quote comment=”85839″]On a completely different subject, I noticed when watching the Tottenham-Man City highlights yesterday that Spurs were wearing all-white kits, with a very different looking font for their names/numbers. Apparently they were previewing their 125th anniversary 2007-08 kits, which can be seen here:

The Mandarin text is just “Mansion” in Chinese. I hate it.

Come on you Spurs![/quote]

The different font looked like it was next season’s, on Match of the Day. The digits were nice, the names irritated though. The letters need to be a bit slimmed a touch.

Shefeffield United did the same, but that was just so they could do it before going down (although they could’ve stayed up, had results gone their way.)

• Eric Bangeman | May 14, 2007 at 8:41 pm |

Note to self: make double-sure not to wear pink crocs to future Uni Watch gatherings to avoid having Paul make even more fun of my footwear.

• tim | May 14, 2007 at 9:09 pm |

• Stuby | May 14, 2007 at 9:19 pm |

Vince Carter currently has skin showing only on scalp, right arm and left hand in the game against the Cavs. Full body stocking or wetsuit with hood can’t be far behind.

• Kek | May 14, 2007 at 9:35 pm |

You seem to have the michael moore complex of picking holes in everyone else’s ideas/actions…but then never really suggesting a worthwhile replacement.[/quote]

Here, here. I have too much to say on this as far as putting it in a comment (put an offline email is headed your way Paul).

• Kek | May 14, 2007 at 9:41 pm |

[quote comment=”86163″][quote comment=”86148″]note to self. Paul is more concerned with looking good than doing the right thing.

I think there are a few days a year we can all not be Uni-nerds if it’s for a good cause. Unless you’re color blind you know that pink is going to clash with most if not all MLB gear. Thanks for the newsflash in pointing that out as well as the totally crass “alternate idea” of putting a tumor shaped patch on a jersey. Tongue-in-cheek or not, it’s poor taste.[/quote]

Sorry, that should have said “but” an offline email is headed your way Paul

• Brian Terreson | May 14, 2007 at 10:09 pm |

Paul- what happens if someone has Purple Stirrups?

• dsmith84 | May 14, 2007 at 10:24 pm |

Not sure if this has been mentioned, I’m checking late here, but I was wondering if any of the players who had particularly good days with the pink bats asked the league to use them again. Baseball players are a particularly superstitious bunch, so I’m wondering if guys like Royals Center Fielder David DeJesus (4-6 yesterday, and I know the royals reference is lame, but I’m one of the few fans…) have any desire to keep those bats in use until they go 0-fer?

Speaking of the royals, the pink bat day would have been a perfect day to break out the old powder blue uniforms, and have the traditional “baby” colors for mother’s day.

I’m all for blue bats on Father’s day, but does anyone know what color the ribbon is for testicular cancer?

Randomness, because I know that in addition to nobody watching the Royals, nobody watches soccer, but did anybody see on Saturday that the Kansas City Wizards wore a special “Lamar Hunt” logo design on their jerseys… just thought I’d throw that out there…

• Paul Lukas | May 14, 2007 at 10:29 pm |

Actually, I suggested several other ideas back in post #28. But even if I hadn’t, the whole “Oh yeah, well what’s YOUR idea?” trope is a straw man argument, because sometimes the better idea would have been simply NOT to have done the bad idea in the first place.

• Mr. Met | May 14, 2007 at 10:30 pm |

Two observations on that new video game commercial with David Wright:

(1) OK, so he’s wearing the black alternate jersey; but who came up with the idea to wear the wrong batting helmet (the blue-black Cool-Flo “fade” helmet)?

(2) The video game makes the same mistake. Hope that’s corrected before the game goes to market (or is it already out?)

• Paul Lukas | May 14, 2007 at 10:32 pm |

[quote comment=”86176″]Not sure if this has been mentioned, I’m checking late here, but I was wondering if any of the players who had particularly good days with the pink bats asked the league to use them again.[/quote]

This almost came up in Texas, where Nelson Cruz was using a pink bat, but it broke. Then, later in the game, he hit a game-winning walk-off homer with a regular bat. Several Rangers players were wondering if he would’ve tried to keep using the pink bat the next day (i.e., today) if that’s the one he had used to hit the homer.

• Vincent A. Cipollone | May 14, 2007 at 10:41 pm |

• Stuby | May 14, 2007 at 10:53 pm |

[quote comment=”86186″]I was on Google Video and I saw these cool videos about pitching mechanics and my inner uni-watcher noticed this guy had the old-school pants with (what I believe are) real stirrups and a single digit number, a rarity for a pitcher.[/quote]
    Two off the top of my head: Atlee Hammaker (#7 with the Giants in ’85) and Jeff Juden (#7 with the Tribe in ’97). Not exactly a glowing endorsement of the single-digit pitcher.

• Mel | May 14, 2007 at 11:02 pm |

Don’t mind the pink stuff for Breast Cancer Awareness, but it is way overdone. Many other diseases are just as devastating. Also don’t like the subtle political overtones of it, “if you don’t wear pink, you’re anti-female.” Why make guys wear pink and use pink bats? Makes no sense, except to embarrass males. Not a smart way to endear men to a cause. If money is needed, then say so, and take a collection at all the games for Mother’s Day.

• Tom | May 14, 2007 at 11:04 pm |

I like the pink once per year. Bill Hall’s walk-off HR w/ a pink bat as his mom watched last year was proof positive of the POWER OF PINK.

• tessa | May 15, 2007 at 12:29 am |

[quote comment=”86056″]

As for the Canadian Women’s hockey team that wore the pink jerseys, they did not wear those jerseys as a breast cancer message. They wanted to recognize the Canadian team that wore pink jerseys and won the first Women’s World Hockey Championship in Ottawa in 1990.[/quote]

Nice job representing Canada, Teebz! You have raised my awareness of Canada tonight by the visually jarring use of “ou” where an “o” would do here in the U S of A.

• Ryan | May 15, 2007 at 1:18 am |

I the only one here who really doesn’t enjoy the constant reminders of breast cancer every Mother’s Day?

I know that might seem shallow, but one of the biggest potential health risks my mother faces just isn’t what I want to be thinking about on that particular day – and I’m sure a lot of folks who lost their moms to it feel even stronger about that than I do. I like the idea of raising money for research and such, but be a little more subtle about it. I like the NHL’s idea: use pink sticks during warm-up and then auction them off.

• Ryan | May 15, 2007 at 1:40 am |

On the Pirates’ red alternates:

I’m definitely not a fan of them, but there is recent precedent for red in the color scheme.

Baseball Simulator 1000 for NES

• TD | May 15, 2007 at 1:47 am |

[quote comment=”86026″]I don’t think this move is legal in soccer.[/quote]

Weird seeing three entirely different uniform sets in the same picture. Granted, its the goalie in green, but for a second I thought there was some sort of experiment going on :)

• Failos2002 | May 15, 2007 at 1:53 am |

Juden wore #7 for the Indians in 1997, the year Lofton was with Atlanta in between stints with the Tribe. I remember Tim McCarver talking nonstop (shocker) about Juden wearing #7. I didn’t realize Atlee wore anything but #14, though. Pics, anyone?

How about a list of major league pitchers who wore single-digit numbers? That’d be a short list. I remember Matt Young wearing #1 with Seattle for a short while…

• El Sloppy | May 15, 2007 at 2:23 am |

[quote comment=”86125″]Look who else wore pink on Sunday.[/quote]

Really, was that necessary?

Sure, the pink may seem out of place on the MLB uni schemes, but it is to promote breast cancer, and for that matter, the pink did the job it was supposed to do. It got people talking.

Almost every other post, if not more, is talking about breast cancer and how you can contribute. Publicity is publicity.

Besides, it’s a one day thing for a good cause.

• Ryan | May 15, 2007 at 4:20 am |

[quote comment=”86253″][quote comment=”86125″]Look who else wore pink on Sunday.[/quote]

Really, was that necessary?
    [/quote]

If it were any other topic on any other day – no.

• Joey Guns | May 15, 2007 at 9:58 am |

[quote comment=”85877″][quote comment=”85854″][quote comment=”85815″][quote comment=”85802″]The pink isn’t so bad once a year, but while watching “Baseball Tonight” yesterday afternoon, Karl Ravich had the Astros’ Craig Biggio show off his bands during an interview and boom!, there was the Under Armor Logo. For me, UA is becoming like Nike now – they just can’t help themselves with sticking their logo everywhere. AND the are flooding the market with more sucky uniform designs (i.e. Maryland football).[/quote]

I make them remove it before I’ll take the car off the lot.[/quote][/quote]

Anyone notice how Derek Jeter used a pink bat for his first two at bats on Sunday, but was 0-2, so he switched back to his regular bat, and proceeded to get a hit on this 3rd at bat?

• Tim | May 16, 2007 at 1:55 am |

Are you saying the best idea is to just ditch the pink and not raise breast cancer awareness/funds???

Wow. The point is for the pink to be instantly recognizable. A little rinky dinky patch will do no such thing. Paul, we all love uniforms, i’m sure as hell not reading this blog for your liberal politics you through in every now and then, but come on. The uniform is not a god, and somet hings are more important than having the “perfect” look.