Aye-Aye, Captain

krksmll.jpg

Yesterday’s post about baseball captains and “C” designations got me thinking about football. As most of you know, the C often shows up in college football but it’s rarely seen in the the pros. The only NFL example I’m aware of is the 1983 Cowboys, where the C was worn by Danny White, Bob Breunig, Drew Pearson, and Ron Fellows.

And that’s usually where the discussion stops. But in a timely coincidence, reader Erik Little sent me something the other day that I don’t recall having seen before. It’s a 1993 football card that shows Junior Seau of the Chargers with “Captain” spelled out on his chest.

I did a bit of photo research and found that the Chargers had at least three “Captain”-emblazoned players in 1992: Seau, Marion Butts, and Stan Humphries. It appears to have been a one-season thing (the “Captain” patch doesn’t appear in photos from ’91 or ’93), but I’m surprised I don’t remember it, because 1992 was a good year for the Chargers: It was the season they began 0-4 and then won 11 of their final 12 to win the AFC West, which was a big story at the time. Then they won one playoff game. So I probably saw my share of Chargers game action that year. But somehow I have no recollection of this particular captaincy designation.

Little discovered several other interesting football cards, incidentally:

• Remember our discussion of football players wearing sunglasses? Here’s another one: Mel Gray.

• Check out Ernest Givins’s personalized towel.

• Terance Mathis had only one sleeve stripe, while the rest of the Jets had two (and note the placement of the Champion logo, which makes it clear that this was a designed as a one-stripe sleeve, not a two-striper that was cut short).

Uni Watch Midwestern Road Trip Update: Last week I said I was tentatively planning to convene Uni Watch parties in Minneapolis on May 11th and Chicago on May 12th. Those dates are now solid — mark your calendars and all that. The Minneapolis shindig will take place at Nye’s at 7:30pm on the 11th; details on the Chicago party to follow shortly (please, no more venue suggestions — I have more than enough to choose from). Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Remember when Brian Urlacher wore this cap during Super Bowl Media Day? Turns out it was one expensive cap. … Speaking of uni-related disciplinary actions, MLB appears to be cracking down on inside-out pockets (a topic explored in depth here). … Reprinted from yesterday’s comments: Shawn Green’s superscript Y has reappeared. … But that’s nothing compared to the typographic alignment problems on the back of Bill Hall’s jersey (with thanks to Milwaukee’s finest, Nicole Haase). … The National League’s BP jersey for the All-Star Game was unveiled yesterday. … More Virginia Tech caps on display yesterday, first on Phillies skipper Charlie Manuel and then on Mark Buehrle and Ozzie Guillen during the news conference after Buehrle’s no-hitter (with thanks to Chris Ashworth and Tim Donovan, respectively, for the screen grabs). … Anthony Memme notes that Jonathan Papelbon had something — maybe “LOL”? — written on his underbrim last night. … Yesterday I asked for action shots of bowlers wearing ties, and Scott Johnson came through with several.

253 comments to Aye-Aye, Captain

• DJ | April 19, 2007 at 8:25 am |

MLS’s Houston Dynamo will wear maroon jerseys on April 29 as part of a fundraising effort for Virginia Tech.

• BCrisp | April 19, 2007 at 8:38 am |

You beat me to the Dynamo announcement DJ, but NASCAR drivers will also honor Virginia Tech.
    NASCAR

• matt | April 19, 2007 at 8:40 am |

also note papelbon isn’t wearing the new hat with black underbrim

• Ed | April 19, 2007 at 8:40 am |

Ughh. That NL Batting Practice jersey looks like it has “NatHonaL” on in.

ed

• John O'Hare | April 19, 2007 at 8:44 am |

• Kenny | April 19, 2007 at 8:49 am |

ed[/quote]

Maybe the designer has a lisp

• Adam | April 19, 2007 at 8:50 am |

[quote comment=”72499″][quote comment=”72495″]Ughh. That NL Batting Practice jersey looks like it has “NatHonaL” on in.

ed[/quote]

Maybe the designer has a lisp[/quote]

Nice Kenny!

• Cathy | April 19, 2007 at 8:55 am |

I think it is great that Houston is paying tribute. I hope DC United does something similar…it would be bad to be upstaged by a team that doesn’t nearly have the ties to VT fans that United does. Many VT students come from the DC area.

• BCrisp | April 19, 2007 at 8:57 am |

Texas A&M AD Bill Byrne writes a weekly column abaout various things, yesterdays included a few notes about some NCAA tournament issues.
    *****
    “A few weeks have passed since the NCAA basketball tournament, but let me give you an idea of the level of detail that the tournament committee covers during pre-tournament meetings.

First, during the tournament some athletes had the wrong size logo on their headbands. Too big. They had to either turn them inside-out, or not wear them.

Some athletes wore T-shirts under their jerseys that didn’t match in color. They had to change T-shirts, or get rid of them.

My favorite, though, was the problem with socks. Some teams’ players wore two pairs of socks. That’s OK. However, you’re allowed only one logo on each leg. Some had two on each sock – four logos per leg. Since every player had two legs, that was eight logos! As you can imagine, that sent shock waves through some of the folks managing the NCAA tournament.”
    Byrne WW

• Monte | April 19, 2007 at 9:11 am |

Re: Jets
    Who’s to say that the equipment guy for the jets didn’t rip off, then sew the champion logo back on the remaining stripe? Also worth noting that Mathis covered one of the stripes on his socks as well.

Re: Green
    It’s sloppy, but he’s hot… maybe his sticking w/ the jersey is superstitious?

• mg12 | April 19, 2007 at 9:15 am |

The Terance Mathis uniform sleeve is interesting.

ou may also notice that his socks only have one stripe as well, while it seems the others have two stripes.

Maybe he just taped over the lower stripe, but it is obvious he was conscious of this single vs. double stripe. Good to see that he is consistent.

• Douzoglou Grandes Ligas | April 19, 2007 at 9:25 am |

• wooster, oh | April 19, 2007 at 9:30 am |

That was my guess.

I alctually really dig the All-Star BP jerseys.

• Al | April 19, 2007 at 9:31 am |

On Papelon’s cap, that could possibly be “PAP”, albeit it looks kinda sweat-soaked.

• Shaftman | April 19, 2007 at 9:34 am |

[quote comment=”72496″]Just an FYI, but the Mets’ Shawn Green had the road jersey with the misaligned ‘Y’ on again last night. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.[/quote]

As long as they keep winning and don’t wear a black uni top I can live with a mis-aligned “Y”.

• Clevo | April 19, 2007 at 9:38 am |

also the numbers look bigger on the Mathis jersey vs the Hector Jersey. Could it be that Score used an older picture for one of the cards? Have the Jets ever had one stripe on their sleeves and socks? Although it does look like Mathis taped over the lower sock stripe

As far a Guillen is concerned, wasn’t not wearing pants to the tops of your shoes (or over your shoes) part of the CBA also? Remember a few years ago when the league said they were going to crack down on it?

• Chris | April 19, 2007 at 9:40 am |

• Chris | April 19, 2007 at 9:40 am |
  • Ray | April 19, 2007 at 9:46 am |

Apparently Brian Urlacher was fined for not just wearing the hat but also for having a bottle of vitaminwater in front of him during the interview.

• Richard | April 19, 2007 at 9:48 am |

it’s not really him giving it – it’s his Foundation.
    Open the wallet, Mike – GIVE

• JP | April 19, 2007 at 9:49 am |

I had an NFL jersey in high school in the mid 90’s but hated how the sleeves and shirt itself were so long. I had mother do some sewing, taking up the sleeves and then cutting and sewing the bottom hem up near the waistline instead of down around my knees. But I also made her take all patches and logos off of the sleeves and bottom hemline and re-sew them on after the modifications. I didn’t think it was cool unless those champion logos were on there. After all, champion was a pretty popular brand in the mid-90’s…

This is also a very possible scenario here. Maybe it was league mandated to have those logos on the sleeves?

• Erich | April 19, 2007 at 9:49 am |

[/quote]

Why is it an insult?

• BCrisp | April 19, 2007 at 9:50 am |

it’s not really him giving it – it’s his Foundation.
    Open the wallet, Mike – GIVE[/quote]

• Erich | April 19, 2007 at 9:51 am |

it’s not really him giving it – it’s his Foundation.
    Open the wallet, Mike – GIVE[/quote]
    I know it may sound insensitive, but this is not a hurricane or something. A large amount of money won’t help with this kind of tragedy.[/quote]

Exactly… I’m sure the families appreciated his gesture…

• Morris Belleville | April 19, 2007 at 9:52 am |

Ronnie Harmon also wore the “Captain” patch for the Chargers. I believe they did it for 1 or 2 years. I think it was 1992 and 1993 or maybe just 1993.

• Richard | April 19, 2007 at 9:55 am |

it’s not really him giving it – it’s his Foundation.
    Open the wallet, Mike – GIVE[/quote]

Exactly… I’m sure the families appreciated his gesture…[/quote]

He could help the University, which will surely need financial help in upgrading security.

Uni related – it was nice to see Buehrle don the VT cap after the no-no.

• todd krevanchi | April 19, 2007 at 10:04 am |

it’s not really him giving it – it’s his Foundation.
    Open the wallet, Mike – GIVE[/quote]

im on the fence when it comes to things like this. wearing hats, ie. ozzie guillen, charlie manuel, nationals, et al. but money can always help…

33 people (most of whom were in the 18-25 demo) were killed. outside of the more senior professors who were slain, im assuming that none of the victims or their families were prepared financially for a funeral. in this situation, i would like to see those who can (athletic boosters, high salaried alums in sport and business) contribute to a fund so none of the families have out of pocket funeral expenses.

just 1 mans opinion…

• Joe | April 19, 2007 at 10:05 am |

I fail to see why this is an insult?? He’s not obligated to give anything

• Beantown | April 19, 2007 at 10:05 am |

it’s not really him giving it – it’s his Foundation.
    Open the wallet, Mike – GIVE[/quote]

Exactly… I’m sure the families appreciated his gesture…[/quote]

Uni related – it was nice to see Buehrle don the VT cap after the no-no.[/quote]

• Richard | April 19, 2007 at 10:08 am |

[quote comment=”72533″][quote comment=”72530″][quote comment=”72528″][quote comment=”72527″][quote comment=”72523″][quote comment=”72521″]http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/04/19/0419vick.html[/quote]

it’s not really him giving it – it’s his Foundation.
    Open the wallet, Mike – GIVE[/quote]

Exactly… I’m sure the families appreciated his gesture…[/quote]

I just don’t get this attitude that a guy has to donate a certain amount to be considered charitable. Since when was a $10,000 gift a bad thing. In some people’s minds he would have been better off not donating anything at all, and doesn’t that seem a bit counterproductive?[/quote]

It’s not that the charitable amount is not appreciated, or that we don’t consider him charitable. But when you’re one of the highest paid players in the entire league, and one of the highest profile alumni for the entire university, 10 grand could be your pocket change.

• Dwight | April 19, 2007 at 10:13 am |

I fail to see why this is an insult?? He’s not obligated to give anything[/quote]

• andrew | April 19, 2007 at 10:15 am |

Shawn Green, not Sean, Paul.

• ScottyJ in WV | April 19, 2007 at 10:22 am |

Actually, Richard 10 grand for Vick is less than pocket change.

It’s about 8/100 of 1% of his annual 13 million dollar salary. If I gave a hundred bucks, it’d be 4/10 of 1% of mine.

The 10 grand gesture is like giving somebody the pennies from your car ashtray.

• Dwight | April 19, 2007 at 10:24 am |

The 10 grand gesture is like giving somebody the pennies from your car ashtray.

Someone a lot smarter than me once said, “If you’re gonna do something, do it right.”[/quote]

Amen.

• Kim | April 19, 2007 at 10:27 am |

[quote comment=”72536″][quote comment=”72532″][quote comment=”72520″]I don’t want to tell people what to do with their money, but Vick is giving $10,000 to Va Tech? That’s almost an insult.[/quote]

It’s not about obligation, no one is obligated, it’s about resources. I am with Chris on this. $10K is a nice gesture, but it would be better to either give more – or “host” or “lead” a fundraising effort to provide more. Although I am never one to look a gift horse in the mouth, it seems like someone may have “suggested” he give something, rather than being from the heart.[/quote]

First, I don’t like Michael Vick in the least. But you’re getting on him for something you shouldn’t. First, I’d view the 10k as a start to help families with immediate needs, also the article (which I can’t get to anymore) indicates that he is leading a fundraising effort in both Virginia and Atlanta.

For the time being we can leave Ron Mexico alone on this issue.

• Shaftman | April 19, 2007 at 10:29 am |

[quote comment=”72539″][quote comment=”72538″]Actually, Richard 10 grand for Vick is less than pocket change.

The 10 grand gesture is like giving somebody the pennies from your car ashtray.

Amen.[/quote]

I hate getting away from the uni talk but 10k is 10k…just like $100 is $100. If that is what was in his or your budget to give then it’s the intent that counts. The 10k like the $100 is not going to bring those people back but you can do a lot of good with it.

Let’s get back to the uni’s and try not to analyze why someone did or didn’t give what we all thought they should.

• Joe | April 19, 2007 at 10:31 am |

I honestly can’t believe there is debate going on about charitable donations! Nobody is obligated to give, no matter what their ways and means are. So are you all implying that if you are a Hokie and get an pro sports paycheck you are a bad person for not donating? Are we going to call out Bruce Smith because he is wealthy and hasn’t given anything? Where’s Dell Curry, Antonio Freeman, DeAngelo Hall, and Kevin Jones’ donation?

Vick’s 10g’s are looking pretty giving and heart felt to me.

• Dwight | April 19, 2007 at 10:33 am |

Hey now, what about Marcus? Well, maybe not so much.

• Steve | April 19, 2007 at 10:33 am |

I think the $10,000 gesture from Vick is better than nothing, but it definitely could’ve been more. I think a charity auction that included “dinner with Vick” or dinner with other Falcons players could’ve easily surpassed $10k. Just my $0.02.

• Kim | April 19, 2007 at 10:37 am |

Hello? This is the third day after the attacks at VT. I think that elaborate fund raisers and events could be expected next week, but in reality most of the VT community is still in a state of shock.

And I’d almost rather have the political discussion back.

• Mark Jones | April 19, 2007 at 10:37 am |

The university of new orleans wore these jerseys last night vs LSU. The jerseys were auctioned off after the game.

• Robert | April 19, 2007 at 10:38 am |

If the people who were killed and injured had suffered their injuries in separate auto accidents, would people be clamoring to contribute money to the families? Of course not.

Or even if the victims had been murdered on the same day, but in different states by different killers, would their be an effort to get them money? Again, no.

• Mark Jones | April 19, 2007 at 10:40 am |

oops, forgot the link

• Dan O'Connell | April 19, 2007 at 10:41 am |

• Paul Lukas | April 19, 2007 at 10:41 am |

People, let’s please stick to uniforms. Save the charity debate for another forum. Thanks.

• Kerry | April 19, 2007 at 10:45 am |

[quote comment=”72554″]oops, forgot the link

Wow…..those are HORRIBLE!!!!

• Kerry | April 19, 2007 at 10:47 am |

[quote comment=”72516″][quote comment=”72514″]Regarding Jonathan Papelbon… couldn’t that be a “101”. I’m not a Sox’s fan at all so I don’t make an effor to see them play so I don’t know what type of pitcher he is. Could it be making reference to how high he can or is trying to get up on the radar gun?[/quote]

That was my guess.

I alctually really dig the All-Star BP jerseys.[/quote]
    Yeah. I’m with you. I don’t think they’re that bad. Kind of different but not gaudy. They could have been MUCH worse.

• Mark Dancer | April 19, 2007 at 10:48 am |

Oh good grief… somebody gives thousands of dollars to a bunch of people he doesn’t even know because he feels for their loss, and people complain. I can’t believe it. That’s like somebody giving me a $100 bill, and me refusing to accept it unless I can have it in multiples of $20.

Since when does doing something nice have to hurt to be sincere?

• DenverGregg | April 19, 2007 at 10:48 am |

Back on unis. Anyone else who likes the Jets unis linked today? A sharp simple look – great color scheme.

The switch back to the 60s unis (like the Chargers recent switch) facilitiates the disappearance of sleeves.

• Dwight | April 19, 2007 at 10:55 am |

I think the Texans have nice unis, but NOTHING CLOSE to the old Oilers Luvya Blues!

• sleepyfloyd | April 19, 2007 at 11:03 am |

[quote comment=”72553″](Striking a non-PC tone) While a horrible tragedy took place at Virginia Tech, why should Vick or anyone else need to give money to the families of the victims, just because they victims were killed en masse by an apparent psycho?

Why does our collective mindset on giving money change when many people are killed or injured during a single event?[/quote]

Now this doesn’t make any sense to me at all.

Are you questioning why people spring into action when things like Katrina, 9/11 and the tsunamis happen? It seem like the unexpected nature and the massive scale doesn’t register for you…

And so I’m not completely OT, there was some conversation about people wearing uni #s for a specific reason. How about a kid picking his school based on uni number availibility?

In one of John Feinstein’s books, there’s a story about the coach at American U losing out on a recruit because the recruit knew he couldn’t wear number 23 (I believe) at AU, since it had been retired for Kermit Washington.

• MichaelM | April 19, 2007 at 11:13 am |

• Thorold Blair | April 19, 2007 at 11:16 am |

[quote comment=”72572″]Back when you were running the UniQuiz, we had the Football players with “C” jersey questions… And I seem to remember seeing some pics of the Patriots in the Early Bledsoe years with the C jerseys. Paul… do you recall that?[/quote]

The quiz question was baseball players with C’s, But now that you mention it I seem to remember Bledsoe with one around 95 er 96

• Anthony Verna | April 19, 2007 at 11:28 am |

• Minna H. | April 19, 2007 at 11:38 am |

[quote comment=”72576″][quote comment=”72555″]I really dislike the BP jersey for the national league. The tower looks nothing like an i, in fact I thought they misspelled national with a L after the t. The L at the end also looks tacky. The color scheme is nice though.[/quote]

I agree with the general sentiment. The color scheme is good. The design isn’t obnoxious, however, the bridge in the middle doesn’t make it look like it reads “National.”[/quote]

• JJD | April 19, 2007 at 11:38 am |

• Rich | April 19, 2007 at 11:40 am |

Whatever.

• Anthony Verna | April 19, 2007 at 11:42 am |

You mean like this, Minna?

• Dan | April 19, 2007 at 11:56 am |

[quote comment=”72581″]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1r3ix_butbarcelonegetafecopamessi

Not only is this a fantastic goal, but for wearing monochromatic lime green kits the opposing team totally deserves it. Ugh.[/quote]

i don’t think the team deserves it for wearing the jerseys, because a lot of teams are going for the bright colors for their away kits, but for having writing on their butt like teenage girl shorts

• TD | April 19, 2007 at 12:09 pm |

Wile EEEEEE Coyote, sooooper geeeenius.

• Richard | April 19, 2007 at 12:09 pm |

You mean like this, Minna?

And I might be in the minority, but I like the All-Star BP jersey vests.

• Nolan | April 19, 2007 at 12:19 pm |

It is odd to see a backup not wearing a team hat.

• My Name is Not Earl | April 19, 2007 at 12:32 pm |

It is odd to see a backup not wearing a team hat.[/quote]

The NHL needs to suspend Smith for a long time. Not because he wore an “unlicensed” cap, but because he wore something connected to that idiotic sack of $#!t.

• David | April 19, 2007 at 12:49 pm |

Paul:

I was curious as to whether you could/would be interested in finding and showing us photographs of the following players in the following unifroms:

Dave Kingman Padres/Angels/Yankees

What do you think?

• patrick | April 19, 2007 at 12:57 pm |

Looks like “HOT” to me

• Kenny | April 19, 2007 at 1:13 pm |

Here’s Randy Johnson on the Expos

• Mike Hickerson | April 19, 2007 at 1:15 pm |

All I know is…next time I go bowling, I’m wearin’ a tie.

• Douzoglou Grandes Ligas | April 19, 2007 at 1:16 pm |

[quote comment=”72583″]So MLB is cracking down on inside-out pockets, but will still let players wear pajama pants?
    Whatever.[/quote]

Let me preface this post by saying that I’m a big fan of the traditional high socks/stirups look with low shoes that not enough baseball players these days wear.

Having said that, sports evolve, football jerseys are different now than they were 5 years ago, materials are different, jerseys are way tighter, helmets bigger and more odd looking, etc. If you look at hockey, try finding a pair of plain black skates anymore, it’s impossible, everything has silver, blue, carbon, etc.

My point is, what is the difference between this pajama pant “fad” among baseball players and the transformation in basketball that happened after the “fab five” started wearing the baggier shorts and the black sneakers? I think it’s going to take some time to get used to but it’s just the nature of sport whether we like it or not.

• Kenny | April 19, 2007 at 1:19 pm |

And Darryl Strawberry on the Giants

• Shaftman | April 19, 2007 at 1:21 pm |

Warren Spahn, Mets…sort of.

• craig | April 19, 2007 at 1:23 pm |

Found this today in the detnews.com that is uni related:

Carlos Guillen got a letter from baseball officials telling him he’s subject to a $1,000 fine if he continues to wear the back pockets of his uniform pants inside out.

He intends to comply but doesn’t like it.

“They’re going to take my money,” he said. “If I wear them out, tomorrow $1,000.”

Guillen usually wears one pocket out, either the left or right, “depending on who’s pitching.” He called it a superstition and doesn’t see the point of having to change.

• Paul Lukas | April 19, 2007 at 1:27 pm |

[quote comment=”72593″]I saw the Urlacher fine story on NFL network last night, and not only did they have the story, but they re-ran the video of him wearing the hat and referred the ‘un-approved’ company by name twice.

So let me get this straight – it costs a player 100 large to wear an unapproved sponsor on media day when no one is paying attention, yet the NFL’s OWN NETWORK feels free to re-run the offensive moment on video and exponentially raise the exposure of said renegade beverage company with every mention?[/quote]

I made that very point in a short piece on today’s Page 2 index page.

• Minna H. | April 19, 2007 at 1:28 pm |

You mean like this, Minna?

Exactly, Anthony. I thought Legos at first, then realized it was Lincoln Logs. They didn’t make bridges that I can remember, but the bridge on the BP jersey still reminds me of this.

Total non sequitur: Anthory, are you part-English?

• Mr. Met | April 19, 2007 at 1:30 pm |

[quote comment=”72632″]Warren Spahn, Mets…sort of.[/quote]

• Philly Bill | April 19, 2007 at 1:31 pm |

It is odd to see a backup not wearing a team hat.[/quote]

I just puked in my soup.

• Shaftman | April 19, 2007 at 1:31 pm |

[quote comment=”72637″][quote comment=”72632″]Warren Spahn, Mets…sort of.[/quote]

Is it just me, or does Spahn have this bewildered “what the hell am I dong here” look on his face……?[/quote]

It’s the same look that most of us Met fans have had for the great majority of their existence.

• Paul Lukas | April 19, 2007 at 1:32 pm |

[quote comment=”72608″]I know you have access to numerous images of baseball players, and I have a topic that may be of interest: photos of players wearing the uniform of a team they were only with for a short period of time.[/quote]

Oooh, I like this idea. I’ll post query tomorrow for additional examples.

Everyone: If you’re going to post any additional suggestions (Piazza with the Marlins, say) or provide photo examples, please ALSO e-mail the suggestions and/or photo links to me, so I can keep a running list in one place — thanks.

• Kramer | April 19, 2007 at 1:33 pm |

vince young has some good taste (from an espn interview about being on the cover of madden):

What’s your team in Madden?

I like to go with the Titans, for sure. I like to put the throwback Oilers uniforms on them.

• Matt B | April 19, 2007 at 1:36 pm |

Re Messi / Getafe

They get a pass for the monochrome lime green because their primary shirt is blue, and their second shirt is red; both are Barca’s home colors. So they were stuck with the third uni, which is traditionally a garish color, to avoid clashing with any reasonable color scheme. But the text on the ass is bad, as is the underarm piping.

• Andy from KC | April 19, 2007 at 1:38 pm |

Did you know Harmon Killebrew was a Royal for part of one season?

• Andy from KC | April 19, 2007 at 1:41 pm |

… and I found Sandberg with the Phillies.

• ACC (the Brain) | April 19, 2007 at 1:47 pm |

as for a VTech tribute the temporary ballcaps are cool but quite short-lived.

• Robert | April 19, 2007 at 1:47 pm |

Phillies
    Darryl Strawberry

Giants
    Fernando Valenzuela

Angels/Orioles/Phillies

What do you think?[/quote]

That is a very cool idea. Back in the ’70s, the big thing with the kids I knew was to have a baseball card of a particular player for every team for which he played.

We knew that we could not afford to get the cards of every player each season, but we figured that it was important to have at least one card for each uniform that a player wore in his career.

David’s idea is of a similar mindset, and I like it a lot.

• Mark in Cincy | April 19, 2007 at 1:54 pm |

Pete Rose with the Expos.

• patrick | April 19, 2007 at 1:57 pm |

I would think a pro team without much long standing tradition could permanently adopt the Hokies colors since they’re one of the most unique aspects of the university. No other team I can think of is orange & maroon. I suppose it could be a team from the DC area. A compromise would be to have a well done alternate uniform or something to that effect with VTech colors.[/quote]

• Perry | April 19, 2007 at 1:59 pm |

[quote comment=”72656″]Pete Rose with the Expos.[/quote]

I don’t have any links, but of course the all-time classic example of this in terms of the player’s prominence is probably Babe Ruth with the Boston Braves. Or maybe Willie Mays with the Mets.

On the other end of the importance scale, I remember a few years ago Brian McRae was traded to the Rockies. He joined the team in the middle of a road trip, and was traded on to another team before they made it home!

• David | April 19, 2007 at 2:07 pm |

Here are some other possibilities:

Gaylord Perry Royals
    Dave Parker Brewers
    Jim Kaat Yankees
    Time Raines A’s/Orioles
    Andre Dawson Marlins
    Cesar Cedeno Cardinals/Dodgers
    Tim McCarver Expos/Red Sox

• Cathy | April 19, 2007 at 2:20 pm |

Sorry Brian, I have to disagree with you. While the gesture of support and unity is nice, why would a team add their colors? In truth, i think what the Nats did was perfect. Adding alternates, changing colors everytime a tragedy occurs would set a precedent that I dont think anyone wants. Imagine your beloved team suddenly sporting Columbine HS colors? Not to mention the fact that while DC may have the closest teams, theyre still a solid long distance drive…. blacksburg is essentially in the southeast corner of the state.[/quote]

• Shane | April 19, 2007 at 2:21 pm |

Here’s a shot of Papelbon’s hat I snagged last night.

hat!

• SeattleMatt | April 19, 2007 at 2:25 pm |
  • ACC (the Brain) | April 19, 2007 at 2:28 pm |

[quote comment=”72667″][quote comment=”72657″][quote comment=”72653″]as for a VTech tribute the temporary ballcaps are cool but quite short-lived.

Patrick, althought changing the colors is a bit drastic, maybe a memorial patch would suffice. Although it is a four hour drive from DC to Blacksburg, if you were from the DC area like me (Northern Virginia)you would know that many of the students are from the DC area. I went to George Mason but have many friends and family that went to VT and since we don’t have a football team, I am a life long Hokie fan.[/quote]

That’s fair. I didn’t realize it was that far to DC. I thought the color scheme adoption would be more subtle and permanent than a simple patch. When a fan wonders many years later why team X is sporting orange and maroon the reason will be as a tribute to the school – it’s a lot more appropriate than the origins of some of the other modern color schemes we see on recent expansion teams and redesigned teams: Houston Texans, Arizona Diamondbacks, Buffalo Sabres,

• Joe | April 19, 2007 at 2:39 pm |

Ryne Sandberg
    Phillies
    Darryl Strawberry
    GiantsFernando Valenzuela
    Angels/Orioles/Phillies
    What do you think?[/quote]

On the same note kind of, I have a game used 1985 Rangers jersey from Luis Pujols (yes, Albert’s dad) who has exactly 1 game played and 1 at bat in that jersey! I’ve been looking forever for a picture of that!

• Christopher | April 19, 2007 at 2:40 pm |

Probably less obscure because he won #300 on the Sox, but Tom Seaver on the White Sox:

• Mark in Shiga | April 19, 2007 at 2:48 pm |

[quote comment=”72651″]… and I found Sandberg with the Phillies.[/quote]

I once saw a recent “throwback” baseball card of Sandberg with the Phillies; his number with them (something I hadn’t thought about) was 37.

• MLB2PDX | April 19, 2007 at 2:53 pm |

[quote comment=”72663″]Here are some other possibilities:

…Tim McCarver Expos/Red Sox[/quote]

I beg of people, please do not ever mention Tim on this site again! Can’t stand that guy. :-)

Regarding the All-Star BP jerseys, I have to say, I don’t mind them. And I am very much ‘traditional’ when it comes to uniforms. On top of that, I’m a Dodger fan and cannot stand the Giants. But, all in all, I was expecting much worse to be honest.

Curious, did anyone draw up a few designs for the USA Baseball uniform that was mentioned yesterday? I’ve been thinking about various options…but need to get them to a image now.

• BCrisp | April 19, 2007 at 2:56 pm |

I’ll have to remember to email these to Paul later.
    Randy Johnson, Expo
    Randy Johnson, Astro

• Philly Bill | April 19, 2007 at 3:03 pm |

It is odd to see a backup not wearing a team hat.[/quote]

Did some diggin’ and found out the Stars actually had those horrific hats made for everyone.

“CBC’s Scott Oake informed viewers the Dallas Stars have adopted Larry The Cable Guy’s “Git r done!” slogan as their own for the post-season. Is it too late for me to take back my vote for them as my dark horse team?”

I am officially renouncing my Stars fandom. I’ll be sporting my Canucks jersey at work tomorrow.

Ah, what am I thinking? It’ll be 85 degrees tomorrow. This is Texas!

• stuby | April 19, 2007 at 3:03 pm |

I’m not sure, but I don’t think Luis Pujols is related to Albert Pujols at all.

• Shaftman | April 19, 2007 at 3:04 pm |

Tommy John on the A’s.

• James P. | April 19, 2007 at 3:13 pm |

Dwight Gooden in Astros uni pictures are hard to come by. Here is what I found:

Head Shot

Topps Card

• jesse | April 19, 2007 at 3:14 pm |

How about this old media guide with Doug Flutie and Hershel Walker playing for the NJ Generals of the USFL

• Joe | April 19, 2007 at 3:15 pm |

[quote comment=”72692″]I’m not sure, but I don’t think Luis Pujols is related to Albert Pujols at all.[/quote]

I think you’re right..I just really wanted to believe it! haha

• jesse | April 19, 2007 at 3:17 pm |

Here is another USFL Picture this time of Reggie White, I think the “Showboats” played in Memphis.

• MLB2PDX | April 19, 2007 at 3:18 pm |

Not sure if this counts

Babe Ruth

• Nolan | April 19, 2007 at 3:18 pm |

[quote comment=”72691″][quote comment=”72596″]On Tuesday night, Stars backup goalie Mike Smith had on a camo “Git R Done” hat. For those not aware-lucky bastards-that is Larry the Cable Guy’s signature saying.

It is odd to see a backup not wearing a team hat.[/quote]

Ah, what am I thinking? It’ll be 85 degrees tomorrow. This is Texas![/quote]

I figured it was something like that, but still, there has to be a better option than that, right?

• Joe | April 19, 2007 at 3:19 pm |

How about Fernando Valenzuela with the O’s in 1993?? Doug Drabek and Andy Van Slyke on the O’s too!

• James P. | April 19, 2007 at 3:21 pm |

• patrick | April 19, 2007 at 3:26 pm |

• Shaftman | April 19, 2007 at 3:28 pm |

Fernando Valenzuela: Padres

• muskiejim | April 19, 2007 at 3:29 pm |
  • Joe | April 19, 2007 at 3:29 pm |

• James P. | April 19, 2007 at 3:31 pm |

[quote comment=”72711″][quote comment=”72699″]Dwight Gooden in Astros uni pictures are hard to come by. Here is what I found:

Head Shot

Topps Card[/quote]

What All Star Rookie Team had Dwight Gooden on it when he was obviously 30 years old?[/quote]

In 2000, a special 10-card insert set of Topps All-Star Rookies was included in packs of the regular issue. Topps combined a list of All-Star names and holographic foil design to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Topps All-Star Rookie team. On the front these cards featured a current player that had been named to a team in his respective rookie season. The backs of each card contained a list of players from 1959 through 1999 that had been named to the team at the position played by the player on the front of the card. The team was comprised of the following:

Mark McGwire, 1B
    Chuck Knoblauch, 2B
    Chipper Jones, 3B
    Cal Ripken, Jr., SS
    Manny Ramirez, OF
    Ken Griffey, Jr., OF
    José Canseco, OF
    Mike Piazza, C
    Dwight Gooden, RHP
    Billy Wagner, LHP

• Shaftman | April 19, 2007 at 3:31 pm |

Roger Maris: Indians & St. Louis.

• Joe | April 19, 2007 at 3:34 pm |

[quote comment=”72714″]
    I just don’t see the strong tie between blacksburg VA and Washington DC. Now, if there were a minor league team near blacksburg then by all means, please do. However, the stretch between blacksburg and Dc, just because some kids from DC go there. I mean, it IS a state school…. in Virginia….[/quote]

• Zac | April 19, 2007 at 3:35 pm |

I took the Papelbon image, cropped it, lightened it a bunch of times, and then sharpened it. It looks to me like “LO!” if you flip it upside down, but I uploaded one flipped and one not flipped for you to see and judge for yourself.

Not flipped
    Flipped

• Joey Guns | April 19, 2007 at 3:36 pm |

I think the rarest ones are players that were only on a team for a small amount of time during one season (plus they didn’t start or end the season with that team), like Armando Benitez, in 2003, when he pitched in only 9 games for the NY Yankees in July/August.

• Adam | April 19, 2007 at 3:38 pm |

Maybe I’m wrong on this, but, while this was horrible and everything, is it something people are really going to want to be reminded of everytime they watch, say, the Nationals play for the rest of time? It might be different if it had anything whatsoever to do with sports, or it was actually in the same city, but in this case I can’t see how it makes sense.

• James P. | April 19, 2007 at 3:39 pm |

[quote comment=”72718″]Every time I hear about Curt Schilling on the Astros I am reminded of the trade that sent the O’s into an eternity of futility! Never speak of it again!!!![/quote]

How could I forget Finley! His being traded to the Padres with Cammy hurt the Astos.

• Anthony Verna | April 19, 2007 at 3:47 pm |

You mean like this, Minna?

Total non sequitur: Anthory, are you part-English?[/quote]

Nope. My heritage is 100% Italian. Philly (burbs) born and raised.

• Anthony Verna | April 19, 2007 at 3:48 pm |

[quote comment=”72651″]… and I found Sandberg with the Phillies.[/quote]

*sighs*

That’s all I have to say about that.

• My Name is Not Earl | April 19, 2007 at 3:49 pm |

Didn’t Rose get his 4000th hit with Montreal?

And that Fleer card with Randy Johnson on it . . . wasn’t that the same card set that gave us the immortal Billy Ripken “Fuck Face” card?

• patrick | April 19, 2007 at 3:51 pm |

[quote comment=”72721″][quote comment=”72714″]

VA Tech has very strong ties to the whole VA/DC/MD area. I went to high school in Baltimore and at least 10 people in my graduating class went to VA Tech. It is one of “the” schools that kids in our area aspire to go to, thus creating a strong pool of family and alumni in our area.[/quote]

Joe,
    I think you’re missing my point. My point isint that DC doesnt have ties to Virginia Tech, but that those ties are at best, on a personal level. You live in baltimore you said, 10 kids go to VA tech… theres what, 25,000 that go to the school? And again, ITS A VIRGINIA STATE SCHOOL. This isn’t a private university, its owned and run by the state of virginia. If say, the Tidewaters decided to do this tribute then please, by all means. But I’m going to need more than “a bunch of kids went to VA tech from the area, so we should change the Nat’s colors to those of VA Tech.” What if there were a large population of kids at VA Tech from say, Memphis. Shouls the Grizzlies do this as well? ITs geography I’m talking about, not emotional connections.

• Anthony Verna | April 19, 2007 at 3:55 pm |

Leo Durocher Colt 45s[/quote]

A couple more:

Kevin Mitchell, Mariners
    Dale Murphy, Phillies

• Anthony Verna | April 19, 2007 at 4:04 pm |

[quote comment=”72737″]Dwight Gooden: Indians[/quote]

That brings up a college memory. 1998. Game 4 of the ALCS. Hideki Irabu vs. Dwight Gooden. That was fun.

• Broker75 | April 19, 2007 at 4:06 pm |

You mean like this, Minna?

Total non sequitur: Anthory, are you part-English?[/quote]

Nope. My heritage is 100% Italian. Philly (burbs) born and raised.[/quote]

• Philly Bill | April 19, 2007 at 4:13 pm |

[quote comment=”72738″][quote comment=”72710″]To add to the list:

Curt Schilling Astros
    Bobby Abreu Astros
    Luis Gonzalez Astros
    Yogy Berra Astros
    Don Sutton Astros
    Leo Durocher Colt 45s[/quote]

A couple more:

Kevin Mitchell, Mariners
    Dale Murphy, Phillies[/quote]

There’s a locally iconic poster of Murphy and Lenny Dystra with the Phils captioned “Mr. Clean/Mr. Dirty,” but I can’t find a shot of it.

• GoTerriers | April 19, 2007 at 4:14 pm |

Or Yogi Berra, or Ernie Lombardi, or Tony Lazzeri, or Phil Rizzuto (and those are just the Hall of Famers).

What an odd comment to make . . .

• Broker75 | April 19, 2007 at 4:15 pm |

What an odd comment to make . . .[/quote]
    ..thanks for adding the [know]. yeah, he’s odd.

• Anthony Verna | April 19, 2007 at 4:17 pm |

What an odd comment to make . . .[/quote]

Roy Campanella!

• Joey Guns | April 19, 2007 at 4:20 pm |

Dave Winfield on the Indians. Only played for them in 1995, and had 115 AB’s.

Bottom right corner picture.

• Timmy D | April 19, 2007 at 4:22 pm |

On the Score today, the White Sox flagship sportsradio station, Ed Farmer (former White Sox all-star pitcher and play-by-play man) said he gave Ozzie the VT hat even though none of them had any VT ties, and told Ozzie to never forget what happened that day. Just thought I’d throw that in there.

• Richard | April 19, 2007 at 4:25 pm |

The Hawk in a Marlins uniform.

• Anthony | April 19, 2007 at 4:25 pm |

Saw this in the Sports Guy’s blog today. Do we really need Alyssa Milano fashions at the ballpark?

• patrick | April 19, 2007 at 4:26 pm |

[quote comment=”72736″]Patrick,

I lived in DC for 4 years, and I have to agree with Joe that there are a resonable amount of ties with DC to VT. I knew quite a few people who went to VT (along with UVA and MD). Then when you bring sports into it, VT, UVA, and MD all have a decent rivalry with each other. The media covers stories from all three, etc. In a nutshell, I understand what you’re getting at, but I can see the connection.[/quote]

• Joey Guns | April 19, 2007 at 4:26 pm |

Willie McGee on the A’s.

113 AB’s for them, all in 1990, his only year with the A’s.

• Minna H. | April 19, 2007 at 4:26 pm |

You mean like this, Minna?

Total non sequitur: Anthory, are you part-English?[/quote]

Nope. My heritage is 100% Italian. Philly (burbs) born and raised.[/quote]

Italian is good, too.

• Metsfan AZ | April 19, 2007 at 4:28 pm |

[quote comment=”72751″]The Hawk in a Marlins uniform.[/quote]
    That’s either a poorly placed dot on an “i” or an unfortuante hole in his uni.
    (If it’s a dot, who signed it?)

• Joey Guns | April 19, 2007 at 4:28 pm |

Vince Coleman on the Tigers. 14 AB’s in 1997, his final year in the big leagues.

• Mike Engle | April 19, 2007 at 4:29 pm |

I got Rasheed Wallace of the Atlanta Hawks (his intermediate stop from Portland to Detroit):
    By G-d, those Oilers uniforms were fabulous. The sleeve stripe pattern matches the pants, which matches the socks, and the white shoes…the Titans should have a mock-Oilers alternate (insert red where there is navy, perhaps).

• Mike Engle | April 19, 2007 at 4:30 pm |

How did the link not work? Let me try again: http://img.coxnewswe...

• Mike Engle | April 19, 2007 at 4:31 pm |

• Joey Guns | April 19, 2007 at 4:34 pm |

Personally, I think Dale Murphy on the Rockies is a more interesting sight than him on the Phillies. He played 2.5 years on the Phillies.

• Metsfan AZ | April 19, 2007 at 4:34 pm |

[quote comment=”72760″]Terrific. The above link is Rasheed Wallace, the Atlanta Hawk. Yes, this has been emailed to Mr. Lukas. Enjoy.[/quote]
    I thought this was a baseball thing.

• tim | April 19, 2007 at 4:34 pm |

• MLB2PDX | April 19, 2007 at 4:35 pm |

[quote comment=”72736″]

Look, Kids from all over the United States go to every college. Simply because kids from DC, MD decided to go to Virginia Tech doesn’t make it anymore “close” to DC. I’m from Long Island and there are upwards of 20 kids from ONE HIGH SCHOOL going to Cornell. Cornell has a HUGE population of Long island kids. If this tragedy happened at Cornell, I wouldn’t be asking the Yankees or Mets to take up their cause. Why? Because the Yankees and Mets have absolutely zero to do with cornell. Same with the Nats and Hokies. And on the original point, VA Tech’s colors are original, and irt wouldbe a shame to slap them on a pro team forever and allow VA Tech to lose the distinction of their school colors. Every picture on the news has kids decked out in Hokie Gear, which is an amazing boost for the student morale. If anything, it should be kept exclusively to VA Tech.[/quote]

Like I said, I understand what you’re saying. But I guess my point is that DC, VA, MD, and DE are generally condsidered one geographical region. Just as if had something like this happened in VT, I’m sure the Red Sox would have done something similar to what the Nats did.

Regarding the colors, I agree. Let them be.

• Joey Guns | April 19, 2007 at 4:37 pm |

Todd Zeile on the Montreal Expos.

• muskiejim | April 19, 2007 at 4:38 pm |

Joe Carter Orioles

• Anthony | April 19, 2007 at 4:42 pm |

[quote comment=”72763″]Doug Mirabelli with the San Diego Padres. Not a great picture then again he only appeared in 13 games with them.

Also, alyssa milano, with or with out her fashions, would be a fantastic addition to any ballpark.[/quote]

Touche.

• Joey Guns | April 19, 2007 at 4:42 pm |

Jose Canseco on the Yankees, where he spent a small portion of the 2000 season.

• Matthew S. | April 19, 2007 at 4:53 pm |

Willie Mays on the Mets: http://www.achieveme...

Eddie Matthews with the Astros: http://www.astrosdai...

Again: (scroll down to the player photos, first row, far right)

• Anthony Verna | April 19, 2007 at 4:56 pm |

[quote comment=”72755″][quote comment=”72729″][quote comment=”72636″][quote comment=”72584″][quote comment=”72580″]Like I said last night–the bridge looks like a Lincoln-Log construction. I like the idea, but the execution was a bit sloppy. Maybe it was one of those ‘better on paper than in reality’ designs. Still, not bad, overall–for a BP jersey.[/quote]

You mean like this, Minna?

Total non sequitur: Anthory, are you part-English?[/quote]

Nope. My heritage is 100% Italian. Philly (burbs) born and raised.[/quote]

Italian is good, too.
    [/quote]

I must admit that it’s hilarious hearing my friend from London call me “Antony.” It’s as if she just can’t say the “th” sound. I have to look into that dipthong and the Queen’s English.

• ACC (the Brain) | April 19, 2007 at 4:58 pm |

[quote comment=”72764″][quote comment=”72736″]

Regarding the colors, I agree. Let them be.[/quote]

I do respect that opinion of exclusivity among all colleges for orange & maroon. I thought if a pro team did it (with permission) it would be more of a sign of respect since it would be unique at that level.
    FYI – there is a movement by the university to get people to wear VTech colors to work tomorrow – alumni or not. It’s supposed to suggest “we are all Hokies”.
    My uni color adoption idea is radical, yes, but it is expanding on that theme and making it a long-term thing. Sorry for offending any alumni here.

• Matthew S. | April 19, 2007 at 5:01 pm |

Gaylord Perry with the Mariners: http://graphics8.nyt...

And Perry with the Yankees (pitched 10 games for them in the second half of 1980): http://www.baseball-...

• Go Cyclones | April 19, 2007 at 5:02 pm |

Watching the Cardinals-Giants game, and the man sitting past 3rd base (ball boy? but middle age+) is wearing picture perfect stirrups. If anyone can get a screengrab it’s in the bottom of the 5th, 1st batter for the Giants on a foul ball. And the sight of the 3rd base coach on his stomach to tell a guy to slide will make ya laugh :-)

• Shaftman | April 19, 2007 at 5:03 pm |

Yogi Berra: Astos (sorry, best I could find…it’s 3rd from the right on the bottom level.)

• anthony | April 19, 2007 at 5:14 pm |

…after 20 years in the creative field and a degree from the school of visual arts in new york city, I can safely say that is one ugly looking all star game jersey.

To critique it correctly would take time I can’t afford to waste.

• ACC (the Brain) | April 19, 2007 at 5:15 pm |

[quote comment=”72761″]Personally, I think Dale Murphy on the Rockies is a more interesting sight than him on the Phillies.

He played 2.5 years on the Phillies.

Wow! Can’t recall that Murphy was a Rockie.
    But I can picture the Phils years.

The rule should be 1 season max. with the ballclub. Recent Example: Frank Thomas of the A’s.

• Matthew S. | April 19, 2007 at 5:18 pm |

Here’s Cecil Fielder with the Hanshin Tigers in 1989: http://www5e.biglobe...

• Anthony Verna | April 19, 2007 at 5:19 pm |

Other Italian-American ballplayers:

Tommy Lasorda
    Ralph Branca
    Jim Fregosi
    Joe Garagiola
    Tony LaRussa
    Sal “The Barber” Maglie
    Frank Viola

And we can also administer. . . A. Bartlett Giamatti!

• GoTerriers | April 19, 2007 at 5:33 pm |

[quote comment=”72746″][quote comment=”72743″][quote comment=”72740″]Italians don’t [know] shit about baseball, haha, I just laugh and say, have you heard of Joe DiMaggio?? Piazza’s Italian too isn’t he?[/quote]

What an odd comment to make . . .[/quote]

Roy Campanella![/quote]

. . . chuckle . . .

• GoTerriers | April 19, 2007 at 5:35 pm |

[quote comment=”72786″]Other Italian-American ballplayers:

Tommy Lasorda
    Ralph Branca
    Jim Fregosi
    Joe Garagiola
    Tony LaRussa
    Sal “The Barber” Maglie
    Frank Viola

And we can also administer. . . A. Bartlett Giamatti![/quote]

• Mike Engle | April 19, 2007 at 5:37 pm |

[quote comment=”72790″][quote comment=”72786″]Other Italian-American ballplayers:

Tommy Lasorda
    Ralph Branca
    Jim Fregosi
    Joe Garagiola
    Tony LaRussa
    Sal “The Barber” Maglie
    Frank Viola

And we can also administer. . . A. Bartlett Giamatti![/quote]

You left off Ernie Broglio (not a great ballplayer by ANY definition, but bonus points of anyone can tell me why he’s notable)[/quote]
    How about that Uni Watch favorite in the Braves farm system, that Saltalamacchia guy?

• Mike Engle | April 19, 2007 at 5:40 pm |

I WANT VERTICAL ARCHES! RADIAL FANS SUCK!

• Shaftman | April 19, 2007 at 5:42 pm |

Wayne Gretzky: Blues (this one if for you Teebz)

• Jerico | April 19, 2007 at 5:57 pm |

Ernie Broglio for Lou Brock. Thank you for AGAIN opening the sucking chest wound in all of Cub Nation.

• Joe | April 19, 2007 at 6:00 pm |

[quote comment=”72751″]The Hawk in a Marlins uniform.[/quote]

ironically at wrigley field.

• Christopher | April 19, 2007 at 6:15 pm |

In looking for him as a White Sox, Steve Carlton on as a Twinkie:

• Christopher | April 19, 2007 at 6:17 pm |

Here’s a caveat to the whole “obscure uniform on a big time player” thing…

Wonder if there are situations where a big-time player is pictured in a uniform he never wore in a real game.

Like maybe someone was signed and got injured or retired, etc.

• Christopher | April 19, 2007 at 6:19 pm |

Hank Aaron on the Brewers:

• Mike Engle | April 19, 2007 at 6:21 pm |

Like maybe someone was signed and got injured or retired, etc.[/quote]
    At that rate, try to find Chauncey Billups for the Orlando Magic. Good luck. Not one game for them, but maybe he wore the uniform?

• Carlester Crumpler | April 19, 2007 at 6:25 pm |

Don’t forget Brett Favre: http://cgi.ebay.com/...

• Chad G | April 19, 2007 at 6:25 pm |

A stat I was wondering about, maybe Paul can help.

• Shaftman | April 19, 2007 at 6:41 pm |

Hey Paul

• warren thompson | April 19, 2007 at 7:00 pm |

[quote comment=”72653″]
    No other team I can think of is orange & maroon.
    [/quote]

NOTE: Susquehanna University, an NCAA D3 venue in Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania, sports orange and maroon.

• redemske | April 19, 2007 at 7:02 pm |

I think an Andre Dawson Red Sox photo would be a better find.

• John E | April 19, 2007 at 7:06 pm |

Anyone got Steve Carlton on the Giants?

• John E | April 19, 2007 at 7:11 pm |

Reggie returns to Oakland, 1987

Having trouble posting, hope I’m not dupeing.

• John E | April 19, 2007 at 7:12 pm |
  • John E | April 19, 2007 at 7:14 pm |

Jose Canseco

White Sox

• John E | April 19, 2007 at 7:15 pm |
  • John E | April 19, 2007 at 7:15 pm |

Expos?! Huh?!

Spring Training.

• John E | April 19, 2007 at 7:15 pm |
  • John E | April 19, 2007 at 7:16 pm |

And the Angels Spring training again.

• John E | April 19, 2007 at 7:17 pm |
  • John E | April 19, 2007 at 7:18 pm |

Anyone got Kent Tekulve on the Reds, too?

• Dave A | April 19, 2007 at 7:26 pm |

[quote comment=”72682″][quote comment=”72651″]… and I found Sandberg with the Phillies.[/quote]

Can’T find any images of that, but you can almost make out part of his number here.[/quote]

This is a minor league card of Ryne Sandberg with the Reading Phillies. I’ve got some minor league cards from 1980 with the same design and Sandberg played for Reading that year. He didn’t make it to Philly till 1981.

• Brian D J | April 19, 2007 at 7:31 pm |

Like maybe someone was signed and got injured or retired, etc.[/quote]

Like Frank Thomas in a Yankee uniform?

• Donny | April 19, 2007 at 7:37 pm |

The Pittsburgh Pirates’ mlb.com shop allows you to buy a customized jersey of Tom Gerzelanny.

If you want a jeresy of Tom Gorzelanny, however, you’ll need to fill in the “Unique Name and Number” section.

• Vincent A. Cipollone | April 19, 2007 at 7:41 pm |

[quote comment=”72740″][quote comment=”72729″][quote comment=”72636″][quote comment=”72584″][quote comment=”72580″]Like I said last night–the bridge looks like a Lincoln-Log construction. I like the idea, but the execution was a bit sloppy. Maybe it was one of those ‘better on paper than in reality’ designs. Still, not bad, overall–for a BP jersey.[/quote]

You mean like this, Minna?

Total non sequitur: Anthory, are you part-English?[/quote]

Nope. My heritage is 100% Italian. Philly (burbs) born and raised.[/quote]
    eh! Paizano, I thought I was the only Italian on here, guess not. My buddy always says to me, Italians don’t shit about baseball, haha, I just laugh and say, have you heard of Joe DiMaggio?? Piazza’s Italian too isn’t he?[/quote]

Yeah, I’m also Italian, as if you couldn’t tell by my name

• Donny | April 19, 2007 at 7:48 pm |

[quote comment=”72809″]A stat I was wondering about, maybe Paul can help.
    How many times has a pitcher thrown a no-hitter wearing an alternate uniform? And an even more specific stat, a solid color alternate like Buehrle wore last night?[/quote]

To follow up one Pirate-related post with another, the Pirates were wearing Black alternates when Francisco Cordova and Ricardo Rincon combined to no-hit the Astros in 10 innings in 1997. http://www.baseball-...

Cordova and Rincon also easily hold the “record” for highest uni numbers by no-hit pitchers: 67 and 73.

• SeattleMatt | April 19, 2007 at 7:51 pm |
  • Andy from KC | April 19, 2007 at 7:54 pm |

You mean like this, Minna?

Total non sequitur: Anthory, are you part-English?[/quote]

Nope. My heritage is 100% Italian. Philly (burbs) born and raised.[/quote]

Italian is good, too.

Some of these pics are depressing me. Like the Harmon Killebrew/Royals one. Killebrew is a Twin, period. Any evidence suggesting elsewise ought to be burn.[/quote]

OK, fair is fair … now I’ll post one that depresses me: Willie Wilson in an A’s uniform.

• Andy from KC | April 19, 2007 at 7:59 pm |

Aw man, this one depresses me even more, for more reasons than one: Mark Gubicza, Anaheim Angel.

• Dave A | April 19, 2007 at 8:14 pm |

Phil Niekro with the Toronto Blue Jays. Niekro only pitched in three games with the Jays in 1987 after beating them for his 300th win in 1985.

• Joey Guns | April 19, 2007 at 8:19 pm |

[quote comment=”72819″]Anyone got Steve Carlton on the Giants?[/quote]

Here’s Steve Carlton on the Giants

• Donny | April 19, 2007 at 8:19 pm |
  • cathy | April 19, 2007 at 8:29 pm |

Sorry to be so harsh, but this has hit VERY close to home to me.

• Dave A | April 19, 2007 at 8:32 pm |

Like maybe someone was signed and got injured or retired, etc.[/quote]

• Tim | April 19, 2007 at 8:44 pm |

Jose Canseco on the Long Beach Armada

• Gene | April 19, 2007 at 8:52 pm |

A low point in my Mets fandom – Tommy Herr as a Met

• Gene | April 19, 2007 at 8:56 pm |

The Herr link, since I am obviously an idiot and unable to hyperlink it:

• J-P | April 19, 2007 at 9:01 pm |

I think that Simmons had a column a while ago on the subject of players wearing uniforms that just didn’t look right on them.
    I seem to remember him mentioning Piazza and Jerry Rice (Seahawks.) I’m not an ESPN insider so I can’t check his archives.

• Tako | April 19, 2007 at 9:37 pm |

How about Bobby Bonilla or Eric Davis on the Giants?

• Joey Guns | April 19, 2007 at 9:50 pm |

Here’s Eric Davis on the Giants:

• Andy from KC | April 19, 2007 at 9:53 pm |
  • Joey Guns | April 19, 2007 at 9:55 pm |

Bonilla was never on the Giants.

• Andy from KC | April 19, 2007 at 10:03 pm |

OK, I’ve posted way more than my share today, but just one more … Wade Boggs wearing the fugliest uniform in baseball history.

• stuby | April 19, 2007 at 10:04 pm |

I’ve been looking for a Deion Sanders on the SF Giants photo. Cant’t find one. Anyone?

• stuby | April 19, 2007 at 10:09 pm |

• The Closer | April 19, 2007 at 10:17 pm |

• Joey Guns | April 19, 2007 at 10:26 pm |

Don Baylor – Twins – only 49 AB’s for them in 1987 only.

http://i1.ebayimg.co... (looks like a Red Sox hat that was doctored by Topps)

• stuby | April 19, 2007 at 10:50 pm |

[quote comment=”72902″]Don Baylor – Twins – only 49 AB’s for them in 1987 only.

(looks like a Red Sox hat that was doctored by Topps)[/quote]
    Topps did that alot that year. I remember a Kevin Mitchell card with some serious air-brushing.

• Derek G. | April 19, 2007 at 10:55 pm |

[quote comment=”72900″]Okay so as per typical ASG fashion the leagues split the home teams primary colors for the warmup/BP jerseys, so were talking SF and if the NL got dibs on black… Ill just let that thought hang there… its going to be ugly[/quote]

ORANGE!

• John | April 19, 2007 at 11:05 pm |

[quote comment=”72631″]And Darryl Strawberry on the Giants[/quote]
    Wow, who is that skinny guy with the little head standing by Strawberry? Ohhh yeah, it’s half of Barry Bonds before his HGH…um, I mean flaxseed oil!

• stuby | April 19, 2007 at 11:06 pm |

Will Clark… Cardinals

• Jeff Tripodi | April 19, 2007 at 11:20 pm |

Here’s a classic never-was: Ben Grieve as a Pittsburgh Pirate.

I actually own the jersey he’s wearing, and donned it to wide jeering at my fantasy draft last month. I’ve seen Erubiel Durazo play the outfield, and I’ve still never seen a worse outfielder than Ben Grieve.

• Minna H. | April 19, 2007 at 11:20 pm |

[quote comment=”72902″]Don Baylor – Twins – only 49 AB’s for them in 1987 only.

(looks like a Red Sox hat that was doctored by Topps)[/quote]

Really? I thought he was here much longer.

Andy from K.C., that Rickey Henderson sure got around.

• Jeff Tripodi | April 19, 2007 at 11:25 pm |

Here’s Canseco and Lance Johnson in Expos camp, 2002.

• Jeff Tripodi | April 19, 2007 at 11:28 pm |

Ramon Martinez as a Pirate.

• Big L | April 19, 2007 at 11:32 pm |

Lance Johnson as a Cub

• Big L | April 19, 2007 at 11:56 pm |

Does the entire 1997 Marlins team count?

• Joe | April 20, 2007 at 12:21 am |

[quote comment=”72720″]Roger Maris: Indians & St. Louis.[/quote]

Wow. Maris looks just like Barry Pepper in that Indians card.

• Joey Guns | April 20, 2007 at 12:28 am |

Tim Raines, a member of the 2002 Marlins, his final team.

• Todd | April 20, 2007 at 12:31 am |

NASCAR driver Denny Hamlin in a Va Tech hat: http://sports.yahoo....

• Broker75 | April 20, 2007 at 12:34 am |

[quote comment=”72798″]Wayne Gretzky: Blues (this one if for you Teebz)[/quote]
    worst uniforms ever made.

• Broker75 | April 20, 2007 at 12:40 am |

[quote comment=”72863″][quote comment=”72803″]Here’s a caveat to the whole “obscure uniform on a big time player” thing…

Like maybe someone was signed and got injured or retired, etc.[/quote]

Mike Sirotka with the Blue Jays. He was traded from Chicago for David Wells, got hurt and spent two years on the DL with the Jays, then resigned with the Sox. Never played a game with Toronto.[/quote]
    Sirotka, that was a disaster.

• Brian | April 20, 2007 at 12:46 am |

There’s some Logo Creep in this picture Pole Vault Girl

• Tako | April 20, 2007 at 12:47 am |

[quote comment=”72896″][quote comment=”72885″]How about Bobby Bonilla or Eric Davis on the Giants?[/quote]
    You must be thinking of Joe Carter, Reggie Sanders, Shawon Dunston, Moises Alou, Steve Finley, Marquis Grissom or any of the hundred other over the hill guys the damn Giants have brought in over the years.[/quote]

I was thinking Joe Carter. My bad.

• Mr. Met | April 20, 2007 at 12:47 am |

[quote comment=”72929″]Tim Raines, a member of the 2002 Marlins, his final team.

Wow, Raines looks like he ate the entire buffet table right before he stepped out on the field……

• Todd | April 20, 2007 at 12:54 am |

Same girl, but nowhere near as good a pic: http://www.dyestat.c...

• Give it a rest | April 20, 2007 at 1:05 am |

[quote comment=”72862″]Just one more point to Patrick. You are obviously not from the DC area so you just don’t understand. VT is not in a very populated area. MANY of the students hail from the DC area…not just “some”. Remember, the shooter and TWO of the victims went to the SAME highschool in Northern Virginia….this is not a coincidence. I know of at least THREE other victims came from near-bye high schools. Out of thirty three…the numbers don’t lie. So please, you are really just not getting it and are really are just pi**ing me off by continuing your ignorant argument. I think changing the colors is a bad idea too. But your other comments are ignorant, and really disrespecful.

Sorry to be so harsh, but this has hit VERY close to home to me.[/quote]

Wow, really classy, I guess you can’t make a point unless you’re insulting someone? “Ignorant argument”? Patrick actually has a good point, and his analogy between Cornell and Va. Tech is spot on. I guess since you can’t refute that, you have to resort to name-calling and a lame “you’re not from around here, so you’re ignorant” rebuttal.

Look, I’m sorry about what happened. I’m sorry about the fact that it hit close to home. And I’m doubly sorry if you lost someone close to you in that tragedy. But, those of us not from the DC area are ready to move on from this topic. Obviously you’re still feeling pain over what happened, so maybe you should speak to a professional instead of coming on here and insulting someone whom you know nothing about. If someone on the internet is “just pi**ng” you off, you have more deep-rooted problems than a simple disagreement with his viewpoint. Just my two cents.

• Mr. Met | April 20, 2007 at 1:08 am |

[quote comment=”72933″]There’s some Logo Creep in this picture Pole Vault Girl[/quote]

• Teebz | April 20, 2007 at 1:36 am |

[quote comment=”72798″]Wayne Gretzky: Blues (this one if for you Teebz)[/quote]

The lowlight of his career.

• Minna H. | April 20, 2007 at 1:38 am |

Sixth:

Goddamn it! I am just trying to pay tribute to my as they fell to the Ducks. Stop eating my posts!

Oh, and, let’s go, Twins!

• Minna H. | April 20, 2007 at 1:42 am |

Nope. Will not let me post a link of my Christmas Trees in farewell, so I give up.

• Jerico | April 20, 2007 at 1:50 am |

There’s some Logo Creep in this picture Pole Vault Girl

• BA | April 20, 2007 at 2:05 am |

[quote comment=”72961″]There’s some Logo Creep in this picture Pole Vault Girl

I’ve been looking long and hard for logo creep in this pic (trust me on this). Where exactly is it?[/quote]

Hate to break it to you…but she isn’t even in college yet guys. Shes a senior at Newport Harbor HS in CA. (I dont see the “logo creep” either)

• Mr. Met | April 20, 2007 at 2:06 am |

[quote comment=”72961″]There’s some Logo Creep in this picture Pole Vault Girl

On her left breast……

Although when you think about it, I would hardly call it logo creep. Most performance apparel is going to have the company’s logo somewhere on the chest……

• Johnny K | April 20, 2007 at 3:06 am |

How ’bout Fernando Vina or Troy Percival in a Tigers jersey? A more recent one would be Matt Stairs in a Tigers jersey as well.

• stuby | April 20, 2007 at 6:59 am |

While trolling for pics of Deion as a Giant, I came across quite a few from ’97 when he was on the Reds. As I recall, he wanted to honor Jackie Robinson by cropping the sleeves of his jersey to resemble the the 1940s look. I think the entire Reds team did the same and they kept them like that the entire ’97 season. I do think they went a little extreme with the cropping, and it looks incredibly stupid with the sleeve patches moved way up to the shoulders.

Deion

Deion & Ray Knight

• stuby | April 20, 2007 at 7:43 am |

[quote comment=”72949″][quote comment=”72798″]Wayne Gretzky: Blues (this one if for you Teebz)[/quote]

The lowlight of his career.[/quote]
    This is the worst part…

• Michael Churchill | April 20, 2007 at 8:01 am |

• Mark in Shiga | April 20, 2007 at 10:47 am |

[quote comment=”72756″][quote comment=”72751″]The Hawk in a Marlins uniform.[/quote]
    That’s either a poorly placed dot on an “i” or an unfortuante hole in his uni.
    (If it’s a dot, who signed it?)[/quote]

Nobody seems to have answered this, so I’ll take a stab at it. There’s no I in “Andre Dawson”, but there is an acute accent on the e: André. He could have placed that a little better!

And Jeff Tripodi, I own a jersey similar to yours: Ben Grieve wore #29 during a brief stint with the Cubs, and my jersey is the next 29: Mike Fontenot. The 29 after him is the much cooler Angel Pagán, who I hope signs with that accent mark on!

I also have a jersey of Juan Agosto from his unsuccessful comeback attempt with the California Angels in 1995 or ’96. His number was 78, and the 7 is in a slightly blockier font (the “real” Angels font) than the 8, which is in the more generic “practice jersey” font. Surely there are no action photos of Agosto on the Angels!

• Mr. Met | April 20, 2007 at 1:22 pm |

[quote comment=”73022″][quote comment=”72943″]If more female pole vaulters looked like her, I wouldn’t mind logo creep one bit……[/quote]

I suggest Tatiana Grigorieva, born in Russia, moved to Australia, silver medallist at the 2000 Olympics.[/quote]

Eh… tall, thin, blonde hair, blue eyes… looks like most blondes I already know……