Ties That Bind

tie.gif

Twenty-odd years ago, before he reinvented himself as the indie-rock act called Smog, Bill Callahan published a cool little fanzine called Disaster. In 1986, while reviewing an LP by the British punk band the Membranes, he noted disapprovingly that one of them wore a tie. “The tie is universal,” he wrote. “It fairly screams: I’VE GOT A PIECE OF CLOTH AROUND MY NECK. I AM A DINK.”

I think of that line every time I wear a tie (which isn’t very often these days, thanks to the whole work-at-home thing). I also thought of it the other day when I was clicking through some old-timey baseball photos and came across something I’d never seen before: a ballplayer wearing a bow tie. The player in question is Cal McVey, who played for Boston of the National Association from 1871-75, so that’s how old the photo is.

Coaches notwithstanding, neckties in the sports world are uncommon but not unheard of. Early golfers and tennis players usually wore ties, reflecting the more genteel, formal era in which they played, and women’s teams in many sports wore cravats (a protocol preserved today in the world of granny basketball). Then there are horse racing jockeys, who often have little faux bow ties sewn into their silks — not quite the same as genuine neckwear, but close enough for our purposes.

But the people most likely to be wearing ties are the officials — not surprising, since more formal clothing usually implies greater power and authority. In baseball’s early days, umpires often wore a top hat and tails, and big league umps were still wearing ties as recently as 1969. Hockey officials used to be tie-clad too, and early NFL officials wore bow ties. I haven’t been able to find any photos of that, although I do have this early college football photo where you can see the refs wearing hats, jackets, and ties. Although the officials in these sports now dress more casually, ties can still be found on many boxing refs and tennis chair umpires (and, at Wimbledon, the linesmen).

There are probably other examples I’m missing — let’s have ’em. And if you’re wearing a tie while reading this, my sympathies.

(Special thanks to Michael Ferry, who pointed me to the series of archival photos where I found the Cal McVey shot — look here and here.)

Research Request: With all the recent chatter about players wearing No. 42 in honor of Jackie Robinson, I want to compile as big a list as possible of players who wear particular uni numbers for particular reasons, whether due to superstition, as a memorial gesture, or whatever. Jason Giambi wears 25 because it adds up to 7 (Mickey Mantle’s number), for example, and Gilbert Arenas wears zero because that’s the number of minutes he was told he’d get to play at Arizona — that sort of thing.

All sports are fair game. Ideally, I’d like to come up with at least one example for every number 00 to 99; the upper part of that range will definitely be more challenging, so high-numbered contributions are particularly welcome. Send all your suggestions here.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Baseball-related cartoons in The New Yorker almost always show the players wearing stirrups (note that the ones worn by the pitcher are backwards — the higher opening should be in the back, not the front). … Reprinted from yesterday’s comments: Moderately interesting piece here about how the Astros’ equipment manager had to scramble to get a full set of 42 jerseys for April 15th. … Reader Tim Donovan has pointed me toward a really great video series about Chicago-area football — look here. Of particular interest is the “Public League” (i.e., high school) segment, which features the largest helmet-borne uni number I’ve ever seen. … The English Premier League has a new lettering and numbering application guide (with thanks to longtime contributor Dominic Litten). … The Nationals were rained out on Sunday, so they did their Jackie Robinson routine last night. … So did the Giants. … The Sharks’ “WAS” memorial logo for deceased goalie coach Warren Arthur Strelow, which was originally worn as a helmet decal in Game 2 of their playoff series, has now been repurposed as a shoulder patch (additional views here and here). … John Romero notes that the Diamondbacks logo was missing from switch-hitter Albert Callaspo’s right-handed batting helmet on Saturday night (but his left-handed helmet was fine).

188 comments to Ties That Bind

• Zach | April 17, 2007 at 8:47 am |

• Timmy D | April 17, 2007 at 8:52 am |

I would love to get my hands on one of those NHL ref sweaters. They look completely righteous. I could see the NHL of ten years ago going back to those, but not the NHL of today…Which is sad.

Go White Sox

• Dane | April 17, 2007 at 8:57 am |

• WVU Tom | April 17, 2007 at 9:03 am |

Baltimore’s home game on Sunday against KC was rained out. Corey Patterson was expected to wear no. 42 for the birds.

I haven’t seen any confirmation to this on the O’s website, nor did the broadcast mention any word about wether Patterson would be allowed to wear Robinson’s number during the festivities, at least not that I heard.

• Christopher | April 17, 2007 at 9:07 am |

[quote comment=”71506″]The tie thing is very interesting, I actually think it looks really classy on just about every single one of those various officials. It would be kind of cool to see referees and umpires get in to the whole “throwback” thing every once in awhile.[/quote]

Agreed! Like this:

• Austin Gray | April 17, 2007 at 9:12 am |

• Daren | April 17, 2007 at 9:21 am |

Ken Griffey wears No. 3 in honour of his three children: George Kenneth III (“Trey”), daughter Taryn Kennedy, and adopted son Tevin Kendall.

• Eric B | April 17, 2007 at 9:22 am |

[quote comment=”71508″]Do we have any conformation yet about yesterday’s Steeler comments and the possibility of an alternate/throwback uniform this season? Thanks.[/quote]

i don’t know that the steelers need a throwback as much as they need to lose that strange number font and go back to block numbers. those were some thick numbers and i thought they made the players look huge.

• Brian from Short Island | April 17, 2007 at 9:24 am |

I’ve never understood why the Prem doesn’t have any navy blue numbers… Spurs look ridiculous with the black numbers on the back of their white/navy shirts

• Kevin from Ohio in Virginia | April 17, 2007 at 9:27 am |

Sadly, I am wearing a tie. I envy all of you who work from home…

• BIG AAAAAAAA | April 17, 2007 at 9:34 am |

Paul:

Never thought an article about neckware could be interesting. Good job again.

Any way you could do a day about the movie ‘Major League’. The “Wild Thing” edition was just released and they dug Rick Vaughn back up for the Dish commericals. What better time then now?

While some may think the movie had some corny characters and sure it was filmed mostly at County Stadium – but no one can question the authenticity of baseball in 1989.

The correct stirrups, the mullets,the equipment, the correct language (using “fuck” between every other word) and of course the uniforms. Rick Vaughn even used an A2000 glove that the pros would use rather than some lame low priced glove.

The attention to detail alone could fill a day’s column. I’d like to see your take on the movie.

• Jason | April 17, 2007 at 9:38 am |

I don’t know about anyone else, but I think those black D-Backs unis are pretty sweet. I’m usually not a big fan of black, but these are MUCH better than the red alts in my opinion.

• Robert | April 17, 2007 at 9:44 am |

Nice crowd at the rescheduled Jackie Robinson game in Washington.

• Tom R | April 17, 2007 at 9:44 am |

About a month ago here in Pittsburgh a radio station talked about the possibility of the Steelers wearing a Alt jersey that looks like their white jersey when it gets wet and looks almost silver, but I have not heard anything else since then

• Talon Lardner | April 17, 2007 at 9:46 am |

• Anthony Verna | April 17, 2007 at 9:49 am |

I didn’t know Doublemint twins were refs back in rassling.

• JJD | April 17, 2007 at 9:51 am |

Best if viewed with sound.

• Talon Lardner | April 17, 2007 at 9:54 am |

I didn’t know Doublemint twins were refs back in rassling.[/quote]

• Matt R. | April 17, 2007 at 9:55 am |

I didn’t know Doublemint twins were refs back in rassling.[/quote]

IIRC, the Hebner twins were part of the storyline years ago when Hulk Hogan lost the title.

• Dane | April 17, 2007 at 10:01 am |

Mr. Cherry would like to know what all the fuss is about regarding neckties.

• Eric | April 17, 2007 at 10:10 am |

• Anthony Verna | April 17, 2007 at 10:20 am |

[quote comment=”71529″]Earl and Dave Hebner, actually… Quite the interesting story behind those two, and have Excellent articles up at Wikipedia.[/quote]

THAT brought back childhood memories. Wow. . .

• Ben N | April 17, 2007 at 10:28 am |

ditto that

• todd krevanchi | April 17, 2007 at 10:31 am |

he will never be just earl hebner…
    he will forever be referee earl hebner.
    its a title like dr. or rev.

i will never be able to look at that guy, and NOT hear jim ross in my head saying, “referee earl hebner”. kinda like hearing him say “good ol fashioned oklahoma slobber knocker”.

• Paul Lukas | April 17, 2007 at 10:33 am |

[quote comment=”71538″]Paul, I think you got McVey’s league wrong. The first league was the National Association of Professional Base Ball Players which preceeded the National League and was around from 1871-75. The first American Association was founded in 1882.[/quote]

You’re right — my bad. I’ll fix it right now.

• Richard | April 17, 2007 at 10:34 am |

• Anthony Verna | April 17, 2007 at 10:38 am |

I don’t mind dressing up. I like putting on a suit and tie, though I don’t much anymore.

At my old law firm, we were supposed to have a “big client” visit. So we were told by one attorney to go from business casual to suits. So I put a suit on. The attorney whose firm it was, called me into his office and told me to take off my tie. I said that I understood, but I had it on now and liked it so I’d just leave it on. It was no big deal to me. He then became angry.

(And people wonder why I started my own practice.)

• Eric | April 17, 2007 at 10:44 am |

Here’s a truly awesome picture of a player in a bow tie and a very early uniform. The post identifies him as Ned Williamson, but it doesn’t look like this picture of him from Wikipedia. Williamson played for the Indianapolis Blues, Chicago White Stockings, and Chicago Pirates, so the big “A” on the bib doesn’t fit either. Cool picture either way.

• The Ol Goaler | April 17, 2007 at 10:47 am |

• Shane | April 17, 2007 at 10:52 am |

Mark Bellhorn wore the double-flap when he was with the Red Sox. Not too sure about last year with the Padres, though.

• Kevin from Ohio in Virginia | April 17, 2007 at 10:57 am |

It’s not just the work-at-home crowd, but it’s also those of us in the Business Casual environments.[/quote]

I don’t envy those of you in the business casual environments. I AM in a business casual environment. Unfortunately, I deal with clients who don’t have a business casual environment so I don’t always get to experience the joys of my own business casual environment.

Yes, I know how many times I said “business casual environment” there. It was fun. And I am wearing a tie, dammit, so I am entitled to some freakin’ fun. OK?!

lol

• Richard | April 17, 2007 at 10:57 am |

[quote comment=”71550″]Regarding Albert Callaspo’s “helmet malfunction”… are there any switch-hitters wearing the double-earflap helmet these days? The last one I remember was Willie McGee (shown here on a 1993 Upper Deck baseball card,) but he apparently went to two helmets (shown on a 2004 Fleer card) before retiring.

During the telecast of an exhibition game between the St. Louis Cardinals and their AAA affiliate, the Memphis Redbirds, I noticed that all the minor-leaguers used double-earflap helmets, whether they were switch-hitters or not![/quote]

Shin-Soo Choo wears the double-earflap when the Indians call him up.

• Jason | April 17, 2007 at 11:05 am |

The vinatge base ball team I play for wears ties.

• scott | April 17, 2007 at 11:05 am |

Shane Victorino, I think.

• Tyler | April 17, 2007 at 11:06 am |

Shane Victorino wears the double flap helmet for the Phillies.

• cliff rancho | April 17, 2007 at 11:08 am |

[quote comment=”71528″]Not uni related, but this is fantastic. There was a Patriots jacket involved, however.

Best if viewed with sound.[/quote]

Hah, that’s great. I wish we had announcers like that in Seattle who would make that person the Fan of the Game. You would never see that here. They might show one reply, but not talk about it with the mindset that other fans are going to see it and imitate it.

So I believe…

• Kenny | April 17, 2007 at 11:13 am |

woo-hoo!

• Richard | April 17, 2007 at 11:14 am |

[quote comment=”71552″][quote comment=”71547″][quote comment=”71520″]Sadly, I am wearing a tie. I envy all of you who work from home…[/quote]

lol[/quote]

I think part of the reason my company doesn’t want to have us wear ties is because of our clients. Some of them might make us want to use our ties for this.

• J. Exby | April 17, 2007 at 11:25 am |

Nice to see the Muffins on Uniwatch! visited you guys back in 1998 or so. as a (ex)-vintage ball player (Denver Blue Stockings) I agree the old ball club uniforms were always the best.

As far as “business casual”, let’s just say that out west here no one at my office blinks if I show up wearing Mitchell and Ness White Sox jerseys to work! seeing how others wear shorts and sandals in the summer.

huzzah for the National Game!

• tc | April 17, 2007 at 11:26 am |

[quote comment=”71556″] Shane Victorino wears the double flap helmet for the Phillies.[/quote]

I love Shane Vic!!!

• Douzoglou Grandes Ligas | April 17, 2007 at 11:32 am |

Orlando Hudson of the Diamondbacks is wearing a double flap helmet, I believe he did last year as well as in Toronto too, however there is picture of him at Toronto with a regular helmet.

• El Rey | April 17, 2007 at 11:33 am |

In honor of Jackie Robinson.

• Douzoglou Grandes Ligas | April 17, 2007 at 11:34 am |

Orlando Hudson

• Michael Churchill | April 17, 2007 at 11:45 am |

[quote comment=”71565″]In honor of Jackie Robinson.[/quote]

I picture El Rey sitting there since 8:30 waiting for 41 posts.

• u kno DBo | April 17, 2007 at 11:47 am |

Way back when the BLUE Jays actually wore blue. :-(

• WVU Tom | April 17, 2007 at 11:56 am |

[quote comment=”71566″] Orlando Hudson

Forgot to attach this to my last post, it just means he hasn’t worn double flap throughout his career.[/quote]
    [quote comment=”71571″]Way back when the BLUE Jays actually wore blue. :-([/quote]

Yeah, but that jersey is still hideous.

• WVU Tom | April 17, 2007 at 12:05 pm |

I picture El Rey sitting there since 8:30 waiting for 41 posts.[/quote]

It’s funny, and I don’t even know if this would have been possible…but I was almost expecting all of the comment numbers on Sunday’s open thread to be “#42”.

• Matt Dub | April 17, 2007 at 12:06 pm |

Trot Nixon wore one for a while early last season although he only bats from the left side of the plate.

• Peter | April 17, 2007 at 12:07 pm |

I was at the Cubs/Padres game last night and I have to say, Jose Cruz Jr’s stirrups are even more impressive in person. I wish more players would go with that look.

• tc | April 17, 2007 at 12:10 pm |
  • Anthony Verna | April 17, 2007 at 12:10 pm |

Is that the Jim Bouton league?

• Jason | April 17, 2007 at 12:15 pm |

[quote comment=”71580″][quote comment=”71554″]The vinatge base ball team I play for wears ties.[/quote]

Is that the Jim Bouton league?[/quote]

No. The Ohio Village Muffins play by 1860’s rules. No gloves, not spitting, underhand pitching.
    Bouton’s league plays 1880’s base ball.

• Robert | April 17, 2007 at 12:15 pm |

[quote comment=”71579″]in honor of Jackie Robinson[/quote]

• Matthew S. | April 17, 2007 at 12:23 pm |

There’s been ongoing discussion here in the past month of coaches, owners, etc being issued jerseys, though they never actually wear them.

Here’s yet another example: http://www.chron.com...

The Rockets are giving GM Carroll Dawson a jersey for the rafters of Toyota Center since he’s retiring after this year. Instead of a number, the jersey has ‘CD’.

• Talon Lardner | April 17, 2007 at 12:25 pm |

[quote comment=”71583″][quote comment=”71579″]in honor of Jackie Robinson[/quote]

Holy cow, is that the ugliest $200 baseball jersey ever offered for sale to the general public?[/quote]

Wrong.

• Matthew S. | April 17, 2007 at 12:25 pm |

Almost all minor league baseball players are required to wear double flap helmets. Only major league baseball allows players to choose to wear a single flap batting helmet.

• Metsfan AZ | April 17, 2007 at 12:27 pm |

[quote comment=”71579″]in honor of Jackie Robinson[/quote]
    #50?? Don’t you mean David Robinson?

• El Rey | April 17, 2007 at 12:29 pm |

I picture El Rey sitting there since 8:30 waiting for 41 posts.[/quote]

Let’s just there wasn’t a lot of work being done!

• Ian K | April 17, 2007 at 12:33 pm |

• B.G. | April 17, 2007 at 12:35 pm |

• tc | April 17, 2007 at 12:36 pm |

[quote comment=”71592″]Royals pitcher Odalis Perez (seen here in unusual Braves hosiery) appears to be selling 2 tickets to a performance of Wicked in Dallas.

Okay seriously, this is my auction. But this is only an excuse to share that picture of Odalis (date unknown).[/quote]

Awesome eBay user name!

• Matt R. | April 17, 2007 at 12:45 pm |

• Metsfan AZ | April 17, 2007 at 12:54 pm |

• Minna H. | April 17, 2007 at 12:56 pm |

What a deal. The real price is only my soul and dignity.

• Anthony Verna | April 17, 2007 at 12:56 pm |

He seems as if he’d be more of a Renthead, really.

0=)

• Minna H. | April 17, 2007 at 12:57 pm |

Oh, and, of course the jersey Hunter actually wore in the game did not have his name on it. Yes, MLB, this is a great way to honor Jackie Robinson.

• Jesse | April 17, 2007 at 1:00 pm |

[quote comment=”71607″]I got a message from the Twins online shop entitled, “A fitting tribute to #42”. I can buy an authentic replica blah blah blah for $214.99. But wait! There’s more! I can also buy a Toriiiii Hunter replica with *cringe* his name on the back for only $99.99!

What a deal. The real price is only my soul and dignity.[/quote]

Back in 1997, I’m pretty sure Ken Griffey Jr. wore his name over the 42, and I was a little surprised that players didn’t have names on the backs for this tribute, especially in games where the entire teams were wearing 42. I can’t imagine what a difficulty that caused for official scorers and anyone trying to figure out who was warming up in a bullpen 300-500 feet away from where they were sitting. After all, the primary objective of names and numbers on jerseys is to provide identification. It’s not a complaint, because I thought it was classy all around, but I just found it a little odd.

• Jesse | April 17, 2007 at 1:02 pm |

Indeed, photographic evidence of Griffey’s name/42 combo from 1997:

• patrick | April 17, 2007 at 1:02 pm |

I believe all mino5r league players are required to wear double flap helmets, a la college HS etc.

• patrick | April 17, 2007 at 1:06 pm |

[quote comment=”71593″]Last night while watching the Tigers/Royals game I noticed a KC player (Buck, I think) wearing some pretty nice stirrups. Alas, no one on the Tigers wears them–although Inge and Granderson wear tall socks. I pointed the stirrups out to my husband–who usually falls asleep during games, until I wake him up cheering my Tigers– said, “How do they get their pants to stay up over their knees?” Which made me do a double take because, like I said, he doesn’t usually pay attention. After seeing the baggy pants of some players, I started to wonder the same thing. Are the pants different for those who use stirrups, e.g are they cut shorter or differently? Never having seen a uniform up close (or worn one for that matter) how do they keep the pants up over their knees?[/quote]

Elastic at the cuffs

• Philly Bill | April 17, 2007 at 1:06 pm |

Whores.

• patrick | April 17, 2007 at 1:07 pm |

• Matt R. | April 17, 2007 at 1:11 pm |

I know that since the Jennie Finch era it’s been Nike. Before that I want to say Champion like the baseball team. I’ll keep looking[/quote]

• Metsfan AZ | April 17, 2007 at 1:13 pm |

[quote comment=”71618″][quote comment=”71600″]Off-topic uni-related request: A friend purchased on EBay what was advertised as a game-used, recent University of Arizona softball jersey. The manufacturer is not one of the usual suspects, so to speak, though I forget its name. Can anyone confirm the manufacturer’s name or point me in a direction to do so myself? I’d lke to confirm whether the jersey my friend bought was made by the same manufacturer that made the U of A softball jerseys. Thanks.[/quote]

you could just call U of A’s athletic department, im sure it would be a simple answer[/quote]
    but not as fun. anyway, pre-Finch it’s hard to tell without logo creep.

• Metsfan AZ | April 17, 2007 at 1:17 pm |

[quote comment=”71620″][quote comment=”71603″][quote comment=”71600″]Off-topic uni-related request: A friend purchased on EBay what was advertised as a game-used, recent University of Arizona softball jersey. The manufacturer is not one of the usual suspects, so to speak, though I forget its name. Can anyone confirm the manufacturer’s name or point me in a direction to do so myself? I’d lke to confirm whether the jersey my friend bought was made by the same manufacturer that made the U of A softball jerseys. Thanks.[/quote]

Thanks for your help. The jersey purchased was not a Nike (nor a Champion), but a company that I’ve never heard of. I presume, then, that it’s a replica jersey. But were U of A softball jersey replicas even made/sold? BTW, this jersey is the blue one with the white script “Arizona”.[/quote]
    I’ve never seen a jersey sold, but I’ve never looked for one either.
    In my search I ran across this team that Minna will like.

• Mike | April 17, 2007 at 1:18 pm |

I can’t be totally positive, but I think that photo of the massive football helmet number is bizarre for another reason.

I am 99% sure that is from the brief period of time (under Joe Kuharich, I believe) that Notre Dame wore a logo, in this case a shamrock, on their helmet.

• AMBens | April 17, 2007 at 1:19 pm |

Come on man!!!

• Minna H. | April 17, 2007 at 1:29 pm |

[quote comment=”71589″][quote comment=”71570″][quote comment=”71565″]In honor of Jackie Robinson.[/quote]

I picture El Rey sitting there since 8:30 waiting for 41 posts.[/quote]

Let’s just there wasn’t a lot of work being done![/quote]

It would have been funny if someone else slid a post in before yours. Ok, I would have found it funny.

• ryan | April 17, 2007 at 1:32 pm |

does anyone else think the cleats on the first picture of the ballplayer in paul’s story look REALLY modern?

• Kim | April 17, 2007 at 1:33 pm |

[quote comment=”71542″][quote comment=”71524″]Nice crowd at the rescheduled Jackie Robinson game in Washington.[/quote]
    ditto that[/quote]

Monday’s game at RFK was not a rescheduled game. On Sunday the Nats were in NY to play the Mets (or, as it turned out, watch a lot of crappy weather in NYC).

The Nats had scheduled Monday as a home tribute to #42…..where it seems that dozens of folks turned out in equally bad weather.

• Philly Bill | April 17, 2007 at 1:39 pm |

On the topic of players’ reasons for choosing their uniform numbers:

Sports Illustrated runs an occasional feature called “Me And My Number” or something like that, but I don’t think it’s archived online.

Off the top of my head, I know Evgeni Nabokov and Ed “Billion Dollar” Belfour wear #20 — an unusual number for goalies — in honor of Vladislav Tretiak, the legendary former Red Army Team goalie who coached Belfour in Chicago (and who, of note, was inexplicably benched for the third period of the “Miracle On Ice” game).

Also, I think Chris Drury wears #23 in honor of Don Mattingly, his favorite baseball player growing up.

• Minna H. | April 17, 2007 at 1:40 pm |

Wow. That looks…wrong (not the socks of course). I thought it excellent not to have the names on the back, but I did wonder how it would affect the scoring and such for the teams with all #42s.

• todd krevanchi | April 17, 2007 at 1:45 pm |

did anyone watch this 1 hour tribute to jackie last night?

• tessa | April 17, 2007 at 1:48 pm |

And, of course, the women of the board who are (most likely) not wearing ties. Unless Diane Keaton is a UniWatch enthusiast, in which case I beg her pardon.

• Daniel | April 17, 2007 at 1:51 pm |

• Joey Guns | April 17, 2007 at 1:54 pm |

Ok. I know one of you will know the answer to this. I am sure there are teams during the tribute games that had names on the back of their jerseys. Or were there? If there were, did they just leave the #42 jersey blank? Thanks for your help.[/quote]

• todd krevanchi | April 17, 2007 at 1:56 pm |

suppose the yankees were a team who had their last names on their jerseys.

• Eric B | April 17, 2007 at 1:57 pm |

wow…a diane keaton reference in here. that was unexpected.

nice

• Andy (#11) | April 17, 2007 at 1:58 pm |

Come on man!!![/quote]
    [quote comment=”71641″]A Smog reference during my sports roundup? Only at Uniwatch. Brilliant. I think “I am a dink” might also become the official statement of ballplayers in this day and age wearing their pants like pajamas.[/quote]

Why do people always say the long pants look like pajama pants?

• Auric | April 17, 2007 at 1:58 pm |

Whores.[/quote]

Don’t you worry Philly Bill, I got you covered right here.

• muskiejim | April 17, 2007 at 2:01 pm |

[quote comment=”71643″]suppose the yankees were a team who had their last names on their jerseys.
    i wonder, would mariano rivera have had his last on his jersey on sunday or not?[/quote]

What if a player’s last name was Robinson?

• Minna H. | April 17, 2007 at 2:05 pm |

We do not get off easy, though. I would put pantyhose above ties as far as uncomfortable attire, especially when paired with high heels. I had a meeting this morning, so now I will be suffering until I get out of here at 5.[/quote]

High heels????? Pantyhose????? What are these garments of which you speak? Me, I am wearing velvet pants, a nice in-between winter/spring top, and flats. All black, of course. I brought a jacket with me, but left it in the car.

tessa, my feet feel your pain. Ouch!

• Auric | April 17, 2007 at 2:08 pm |

Whores.[/quote]

Don’t you worry Philly Bill, I got you covered right here.[/quote]

Sorry for the small size, here’s a bigger one.

• Johnny | April 17, 2007 at 2:12 pm |

• Minna H. | April 17, 2007 at 2:13 pm |

All players that wore a #42 jersey, regardless of what team they’re on, did not have a name on the back.[/quote]

• Philly Bill | April 17, 2007 at 2:15 pm |

[quote comment=”71650″][quote comment=”71646″][quote comment=”71616″]This would have been a great excuse to link the YouTube clip of Conan O’Brien at the 1865 baseball game. However: “This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by NBC Universal.”

Whores.[/quote]

Don’t you worry Philly Bill, I got you covered right here.[/quote]

Sorry for the small size, here’s a bigger one.[/quote]

Nice find! One of the funniest thing’s Conan’s ever done.

Forgot to mention that Bill (Smog) Callahan is reportedly the significant other of keening-voiced harpist Joanna Newsom. She has a new EP coming out next week.

• Minna H. | April 17, 2007 at 2:17 pm |

Come on man!!![/quote]

Why do people always say the long pants look like pajama pants?
    Griffey’s pants don’t look like any pajama pants I’ve ever seen. They just look like regular ordinary pants, being worn as part of a uniform.[/quote]

• Shaftman | April 17, 2007 at 2:20 pm |

Yeah, I got that. I guess my question would have been better asked, did any teams have their names on the back of their jerseys during those games? I think it would have been odd to have one person without a blank jersey and everyone else with a name.[/quote]

• WVU Tom | April 17, 2007 at 2:25 pm |

[quote comment=”71655″][quote comment=”71645″][quote comment=”71625″]Isn’t it interesting that in 97 Griffey goes high socks but in 2007 he stays pajama pants????

Come on man!!![/quote]

Why do people always say the long pants look like pajama pants?

Even when high socks and/or stirrups started disappearing from baseball, the longer pants were still usually tapered with elastic cuffs. The trend now seems to be that the cuffs and hang loose, often over the shoes even, much like a pair of pajama pants would. (At least that’s the way I always saw it).

• Anthony Verna | April 17, 2007 at 2:26 pm |

[quote comment=”71655″]I think it’s the comfort factor. You know, you’re all snug and comfy in pajamas–those pants look like you could sleep in them. I wouldn’t know–I don’t think I’ve ever worn pajamas with pants.[/quote]

I mean. . . it has only been since I was 10 or 11, I think, since I last wore pajama pants. I agree – baseball pants don’t look like p.j.s. My mom and a friend from England would disagree, however.

• keith | April 17, 2007 at 2:29 pm |

Whores.[/quote]

You mean this?

• Robert | April 17, 2007 at 2:43 pm |

Come on man!!![/quote]

Why do people always say the long pants look like pajama pants?

If Manny had his way, these would be the pants worn by the Red Sox. They would fit about like those that he wears now.

• Minna H. | April 17, 2007 at 3:02 pm |

Anyone with a “42” on their back had no name. While “weird” is a term you could use, I thought it was distinctive and stood out in a way to make people wonder about the reason for it.[/quote]

I understand that. I am wondering if there were teams with names on their backs at all. THAT is my main question. I don’t have cable, and I only watched the Twins game–I don’t even remember if the Devil Rays had names on the back of their jerseys.

• todd krevanchi | April 17, 2007 at 3:07 pm |

folks, maybe you can help me out…
    im trying to put together a folder of bookmarks for team merchandise stores…
    not the high end stuff you can get off of nfl, mlb, or nba.com, but the good stuff like the red sox have here

i know a lot of you have looked at fitzy’s townie news site, and you’ll find that his sponsors sell cool fan stuff as well as seen here

since you folks are spread out nationally and you have your favorite teams, i figured you might know the underground online places to shop for team gear.

just respond with team name and online store address…
    thanks.

krvanch

• DRob8785 | April 17, 2007 at 3:07 pm |

I just noticed a Third Jersey on sale for the LA Galaxy on the MLS Store.

• Joe | April 17, 2007 at 3:15 pm |

[quote comment=”71671″]folks, maybe you can help me out…
    im trying to put together a folder of bookmarks for team merchandise stores…

just respond with team name and online store address…
    thanks.

krvanch[/quote]

What an awesome idea…this list must be shared!

• Shaftman | April 17, 2007 at 3:21 pm |

[quote comment=”71669″][quote comment=”71657″][quote comment=”71652″][quote comment=”71642″][quote comment=”71636″][quote comment=”71613″]Indeed, photographic evidence of Griffey’s name/42 combo from 1997:[/quote]

I agree it is a good thing not to have names, and I still think it’s werid. The two are not mutually exclusive.[/quote]

All other jersey’s were normal. Uni’s that normally have names on were left with them on, and uni’s that traditionally don’t have names on their uni’s were not on.

• todd krevanchi | April 17, 2007 at 3:25 pm |

[quote comment=”71676″][quote comment=”71671″]folks, maybe you can help me out…
    im trying to put together a folder of bookmarks for team merchandise stores…

just respond with team name and online store address…
    thanks.

krvanch[/quote]

What an awesome idea…this list must be shared![/quote]

perhaps paul could set up a uniwatch merchandise email address where readers could send in the underground merchandise site links on an ongoing basis. that way all the links will be organized together rather than spread out over a few days on the blog. we do have an intern, perhaps he could handle that?

• zach | April 17, 2007 at 3:27 pm |

i know jerry stackhouse wears 42 to honor jackie adn paul cna u post the list in an article

• Steve | April 17, 2007 at 3:33 pm |

I heard on tv that the Pirates Robinson Tribute will be either made up on the 60th anniversary of the day he played his first game in Pittsburgh or when they play the Dodgers.

• Kim | April 17, 2007 at 3:34 pm |

It replaces the normal Yellow and Green with Yellow and Blue. Could this be the future colors/rebranding of the Galaxy?[/quote]

• Michael Scott | April 17, 2007 at 3:37 pm |

Whores.[/quote]

Don’t you worry Philly Bill, I got you covered right here.[/quote]

Sorry for the small size, here’s a bigger one.[/quote]

That’s what she said. *snicker*

• david goodfriend | April 17, 2007 at 3:59 pm |

And I have also noticed that quite a few of the mets are wearing the wool hats rather than the new ones. One of the coaches is even wearing a older one.

Might be time for Paul to find out if they have a reason for this?

• ScottyJ in WV | April 17, 2007 at 4:05 pm |

looked sharp last night……..his uni, not his pitching.

• Shaftman | April 17, 2007 at 4:07 pm |

[quote comment=”71691″]I noticed that the second baseman for the d-rays and the center fielder for the rockies had some nice stirrups last nite.

Might be time for Paul to find out if they have a reason for this?[/quote]
    Sound’s like the got the “Ditch the Black” memo and misunderstood what black Paul was referring to.

Dear Omar,
    What Paul meant was Black uni tops and hats with black on the OUTSIDE not the ones under the brim.
    Love, Shaftman

• ScottyJ in WV | April 17, 2007 at 4:08 pm |

Anthony Reyes wearin’ ’em right last night! (pic no actually from last night, but it’s the best I can do)

• Jeff B | April 17, 2007 at 4:08 pm |

So Jose Cruz Jr. is not wearing his trademark stirrups today. He didn’t start, so that could be the reason, but when he came up to pinch hit… pajama pants.

• justin | April 17, 2007 at 4:08 pm |

[quote comment=”71671″]folks, maybe you can help me out…
    im trying to put together a folder of bookmarks for team merchandise stores…

just respond with team name and online store address…
    thanks.

krvanch[/quote]

For Seattle, the Seattle Team Shop is a good place. http://www.seattlete...

• ScottyJ in WV | April 17, 2007 at 4:09 pm |

Sorry gang. I’m still trying to get the hang of posting links here.

• Robert | April 17, 2007 at 4:09 pm |

[quote comment=”71693″] http://godsofsport.c...

looked sharp last night……..his uni, not his pitching.[/quote]

He needs to baggy-up those pants some though.

One of my greatest Uni Fears is that a baseball player will decide to adopt the NFL Bikers Shorts pants look, and the overly tight, hiked up pants worn by Reyes are a step in that direction.

• Lexie | April 17, 2007 at 4:13 pm |

[quote comment=”71649″][quote comment=”71640″][quote comment=”71547″][quote comment=”71520″]Sadly, I am wearing a tie. I envy all of you who work from home…[/quote]

tessa, my feet feel your pain. Ouch![/quote]

As for both of you…I’m enjoying the day in blue jeans, a casual long sleeve shirt and sandles…I love working where I work. And I agree with Minna…tessa, my feet feel your pain.

• Tom | April 17, 2007 at 4:23 pm |

Utility man Rene Gonzales wore number 88 with the Baltimore Orioles in the early 90s as number 8 was already taken by Cal Ripken.

PS. I hope I submitted this little piece of info fast enough to beat any lame anecdotes about Eric Lindros or Michael Irvin.

• Jeff B | April 17, 2007 at 4:32 pm |

• Jeff B | April 17, 2007 at 4:32 pm |

*threw

• Jim | April 17, 2007 at 4:36 pm |

[quote comment=”71512″]This is off the topic of today’s post, but I’m looking for an image. It’s an image of the very first MLS soccer uniforms, and I’ve seen a link to it on this site before. Some guy with a website like kenn.com had a history of MLS kits, and among the images featured on his website was the one with all of the original kits on display. Does anyone know where else it might be posted online? Did anyone else happen to download it for themselves?[/quote]

web.archive.org is your friend in this instance:

• Austin Gray | April 17, 2007 at 4:45 pm |

[quote comment=”71709″]

web.archive.org is your friend in this instance:

Thanks a million, man!

• Ben K | April 17, 2007 at 4:58 pm |

i know i asked this late last night, but i seem to have forgotten the link to the worst soccer kits ever… if anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated

• Joe | April 17, 2007 at 5:01 pm |

• Mark in Shiga | April 17, 2007 at 5:09 pm |

I myself avoid wearing a necktie on the train to work (summer heat + cinched tie + chest hair = lots of sweat), but then I put it on once I get to the air-conditioned office. Women who dislike high-heeled shoes will keep a pair of slippers under their desks and change into them when they get to work.

The suits worn by college graduates or other young people interviewing for work are virtual uniforms in that their color and details are so regimented. Dark blue is the rule. Here’s a group of young recruits, here’s a gaggle of guys, and here’s a close-up of the women’s suit.

• Rick | April 17, 2007 at 5:10 pm |

[quote comment=”71510″]During last night’s Orioles game, the game announcers stated that the Jackie Robinson tribute that was washed out last weekend will be held during this Saturday’s game in Baltimore against the Blue Jays.

Anyone hear anything about any of the other teams that were rained out this weekend?[/quote]

Last night’s Giants-Rockies game featured five Giants wearing 42: Barry Bonds, Ray Durham, Randy Winn, Dave Roberts, and first base coach Willie Upshaw.

• Ian K | April 17, 2007 at 5:37 pm |

• Anthony Verna | April 17, 2007 at 5:53 pm |

[quote comment=”71728″][quote comment=”71719″] I wish some of this casual class would come back to the US![/quote]

Agreed. Personally, I’m awaiting a job offer at a new company that requires full business suit every day. At my current job, it’s business casual, which could be as basic as Gap khakis and a polo shirt. Sometimes it can look really dumpy. Here’s to bringing back the classiness![/quote]

When I first moved to NYC, I had a job interview at a firm where it was very casual. I wore a suit and stuck out. The attorney who interviewed me wore faded jeans and a bad shirt. I met an associate and she wore a shirt that looked like it came out of the hamper that morning (wrinkled all over). They didn’t seem serious to me. (How did they depositions at that office?) Awful. Just awful.

• JP | April 17, 2007 at 5:58 pm |

I’ve been watching the D-Rays all season and Ben Zobrist wears his pants high with low stirrups for all home games and low pants around the ankle for all road games. Sorry no pics, you’ll just have to trust me on this one.

• Andrew | April 17, 2007 at 6:05 pm |

Well as a Pirate fan the embarrassment of 14 years of losing isn’t enough… they make the awful red uni… and the news is getting worse…. the fashion has leaked to other people….

• DRob | April 17, 2007 at 6:11 pm |

Likely not. It’s a 2006 jersey, and they wore it for some occasion as a one off deal.[/quote]

• Peter | April 17, 2007 at 6:45 pm |

[quote comment=”71707″]Interesting to note also that in the Cubs game David Arquette through out the first pitch wearing a replica jersey with the number 420.[/quote]

Yeah, he has a new movie out about stoners on friday(4/20). He came to the annual Hash Bash here in Ann Arbor to promote it as well. He handed out rolling papers and lighters. It was kinda funny.

• Chad G | April 17, 2007 at 7:12 pm |

Freddy Garcia who is pitching for the Phillies against the Mets today just got made to change his glove. This was before the game started. Willie Randolph, the Mets manager made a comment to the Umpires and they made Garcia change it. It was a red and black 2 tone. He now is using an all black one.

• Chris Doran | April 17, 2007 at 7:14 pm |

Uni related note from the Phillies game tonight.

After throwing his warm-up pitches before the start, Freddie Garcia was made to change his two-tone red/black glove to a solid black. The change appeared to have been made after Willie Randolph complained to the umps.

No pics as of yet…

• Chris Doran | April 17, 2007 at 7:15 pm |

Beat me to it Chad!

• Taylor | April 17, 2007 at 7:19 pm |

[quote comment=”71530″][quote comment=”71527″][quote comment=”71526″]I doubt this counts as a “sport” to most here, but I remember the WWE (then WWF) used to have their referees decked out in Bowties and a Oxford-style short sleeve shirt. I’ve always been the fan of the Pro Wrestling Referee, while they technically don’t “referee”, they are invaluable to the company and the wrestlers in the ring.[/quote]

I didn’t know Doublemint twins were refs back in rassling.[/quote]

Of course, one of the brothers is more notorious for being part of the non-storyline screwjob of Bret Hart about ten years ago.[/quote]

Talking wrestling on uniwatch!?! I like this!!! My two favorite subjects: pro wrestling adn uniforms! Bring back the ECW from 10 years ago!!! Triple Threat!!!

• Drew | April 17, 2007 at 7:34 pm |

• Patrick | April 17, 2007 at 7:35 pm |

The Washington Nationals are wearing Virginia Tech caps tonight against the Braves… it’s a mix-and-match job, but a nice tribute.

• Doyler | April 17, 2007 at 7:52 pm |

Not only are the Nats wearing Va Tech caps, but they were donated by Sports Authority. The only problem is that Modell’s is their official sporting goods retail store. Oops.

• Ian | April 17, 2007 at 8:11 pm |

The Yankees have FINALLY put Jackie Robinson’s #42 in Monument Park. Sure, it took them 10 years, but I bet they were waiting for Mariano.

• Kyle | April 17, 2007 at 8:13 pm |

I believe that David Ortiz wears 34 as a tribute to Kirby Puckett. I’m not sure, but he didn’t wear the number in Minnesota (obviously) and switched to it with Boston pretty quickly. He also wrote 34 on his hat in spring training last year after Kirby died.

• Adam | April 17, 2007 at 8:15 pm |

Some of the Rangers still have Jackie Robinson stickers on their helmets.

• Joshua | April 17, 2007 at 8:27 pm |

Interesting side note to the Nats wearing Tech caps: Ryan Zimmerman is a Virginia alum. Wonder what his buddies will think of that.

• Andy from KC | April 17, 2007 at 8:28 pm |

This has absolutely nothing to do with unis, but if you play fantasy football, you might not want to pick Vince Young next year.

• Sage Confucius | April 17, 2007 at 8:48 pm |

[quote comment=”71719″]I’m going to have to disagree with most of you on wearing ties and other formal/business attire. Here in Japan most people dress well every day — button-down dress shirts and ties for the guys, skirts, tights, and high heels for women (but tall boots in winter; trust me, guys, you’ll like this).

At first I didn’t like the hassle of ties and ironed shirts but now I like seeing other people look good and putting in the effort myself. I wish some of this casual class would come back to the US![/quote]

I remember my mom dressing that way when I was growing up in Houston. (Mom worked in commerial real-estate for oil companies) I remember how nice she always looked. I can’t imagine someone doing that kind of job without dressing to impress.

I work for an international bank and the dress code varies by function and rank. We computer geeks have a business casual environment. However, our VP is never seen without a suit and tie on. He rarely makes it down from NYC though. Casual clothing in the workplace has become too casual, but I don’t think I would accept a position that required me to power dress every day. A guy in a well-made and fitted suit and tie usually looks very good though.

• Sage Confucius | April 17, 2007 at 8:55 pm |

You can buy Arizona replica jerseys at the link below. (wouldn’t let me link it) I have not found any authentic jerseys available for any softball team anywhere.

• Todd | April 17, 2007 at 9:12 pm |

[quote comment=”71718″][quote comment=”71636″][quote comment=”71613″]Indeed, photographic evidence of Griffey’s name/42 combo from 1997:[/quote]

all 42’s were blank regardless of the rest of hte team, look at the chicago shot of Lee for an example. Now I cant tell you if the guy who still wears 42 normally had his name off for the game or not.[/quote]

I’m not sure if you were being serious about your last comment or not, but the only MLB player that still wears #42 is Mariano Rivera, and the Yankees never have their names on the backs of their home or away jerseys, so to put this to bed, no player was wearing a #42 jersey with a name on the back on Jackie Robinson tribute day.

• Brett | April 17, 2007 at 10:01 pm |

[quote comment=”71651″]Was at two Blue Jays games this weekend – seems the new T cap has become their primary cap. While I didn’t like it at first, it is an improvement over the oversized J with bird. I even bought one – anyone else finding that the new caps are an 1/8 bigger than the old wool ones?[/quote]

Blue Jays wore their oversized J hat today in a game against the Red Sox. Also, I couldn’t find a picture, but I believe that the N on Kyle Snyder’s jersey was backwards today, but that could’ve just been my eyes playing a trick on me.

• schuby | April 17, 2007 at 10:11 pm |

[quote comment=”71761″]Watching the Braves-Nationals game. The Nats are wearing Virginia Tech hats in response to yesterday’s tragedy.[/quote]

Right here.

• =bg= | April 17, 2007 at 10:24 pm |

• Jacob | April 17, 2007 at 10:32 pm |

Jimmy Rollins wears #11 because it makes him look taller (he’s 5’8)

• jatorres | April 17, 2007 at 10:33 pm |

Ensberg explains the “sunglasses at night” issue… Second item:

• =bg= | April 17, 2007 at 10:43 pm |

Tiger have some Nike logo creep under the collar there?

• lurker | April 17, 2007 at 10:45 pm |

interesting uni-related note from tonight’s red sox game – dice-k started the game with long sleeves under his jersey, but switched to short sleeves before he came out for the 5th inning

• Randy Miller | April 17, 2007 at 10:55 pm |

My two favorite uniform number ‘honors:’

Bill Voiselle, Boston Braves and New York Giants pitcher in the ;40s wore 96 to honor his hometown, Ninety-Six, South Carolina.

Carlos May, the White Sox outfielder, wore 17 to honor…his birthday… MAY 17.

• Ben | April 17, 2007 at 10:55 pm |

Off the top of my head for the numbers list
    #25, nick anderson for hte orlando magicv in honor of his friend who was shot
    #43 brad daugherty wore this in honor of his favorite nascar driver, (the name escapes me)
    #23, MJ wore this because his brother was 45, he wanted to be half as good as his brother…
    #66 lemeuix wore this because he always wore gretzkys 99, but his agent encouraged him to make his own number so he turned the 99 upside down

i’ll be back with more later

• stuby | April 17, 2007 at 11:15 pm |

This guy made his debut with the Cubs today wearing #17. Any way we can get him to change his number to 3.14?

• stuby | April 17, 2007 at 11:17 pm |

[quote comment=”71827″]Off the top of my head for the numbers list
    #25, nick anderson for hte orlando magicv in honor of his friend who was shot

i’ll be back with more later[/quote]
    Daugherty’s #43 was for Richard Petty

• Ben N | April 17, 2007 at 11:34 pm |

• david | April 17, 2007 at 11:38 pm |

[quote comment=”71815″]Nice touch by the Nats with the VT hats. Have teams done a moment of silence? What a sad story.[/quote]

I know the Reds had one before yesterdays game.

• david | April 17, 2007 at 11:40 pm |

[quote comment=”71840″]Mike Stanton of the Reds was wearing a cap with a grey underbill. The rest of the Reds had on the cap with the black underbill. Not sure how this is possible because the caps are new this year! Heres a screen grab. http://i178.photobuc...

Last year the Reds had an all red alternate, my guess is that is where he got it.

• Ethan | April 17, 2007 at 11:48 pm |

Sabres captain Chris Drury, former Little league world Series star, wears #23 in honor of his favorite baseball player, Don Mattingly

• Lord Stanley | April 17, 2007 at 11:57 pm |

Here’s a nother excellent shot of an NHL referee with a tie on under his sweater.

Also, note the bell in his left hand. Refs used to use bells before eventually switching to whistles.

• Lord Stanley | April 18, 2007 at 12:05 am |

And one more of NHL legend King Clancy as a ref wearing a tie and arguing with what appears to be a group of well-dressed fans.

Calm down fellas

• Minna H. | April 18, 2007 at 12:19 am |

The Wild! had a moment of silence tonight, but I am not sure if it was for the VaTech tragedy–I was flipping channels.

Woo-hoo! The Christmas Trees won, no thanks to the incredibly poor ref job. The Trees will play another game, though not in the best hockey alts EVER! I am kidding, by the way, so no flaming, please. I like the red-and-greens, but I’m not THAT crazy.

Lexie, I could wear jeans if I want (and I do wear sandals when it’s warmer out), but I don’t look good in jeans–so I stick to slacks.

To the guys who think dressing up is a lost art–I wouldn’t wear an outfit like those Japanese women if my life depended on it. Once again, you have to have no body fat to get away with that look. Not going to happen. As for heels? Please.

That said, I think clothing should befit the job. I agree with Sage Confucius that I wouldn’t take a job where I had to dress in a powersuit, but I do think if you are in the business world, you should dress up.

• Forrest | April 18, 2007 at 12:48 am |

Some links for the VT hats:

Dmitri Young

Jon Rauch

…but Jerome Williams didn’t why?

• Kim | April 18, 2007 at 12:53 am |

[quote comment=”71740″][quote comment=”71685″][quote comment=”71672″]I just noticed a Third Jersey on sale for the LA Galaxy on the MLS Store.

But did they wear that jersey last season? I don’t remember it…but then again, I don’t follow the Galaxy that closely.[/quote]

Yep. They wore it. Went to the Galaxy site and found a game pic it’s kinda small, but the shorts give it away. Here’s a picture of the regular kit in action for comparison.

• Kyle O | April 18, 2007 at 12:55 am |

Couple of pics of VT Nationals in this link .

• Forrest | April 18, 2007 at 12:58 am |

Apparently, J. Williams switched at some point.

And the KC Royals held a moment of silence in respect for the victims.

• Broker75 | April 18, 2007 at 1:04 am |

Johnny, haven’t tried one on yet..

• Andrew | April 18, 2007 at 1:06 am |

[quote comment=”71870″]Some links for the VT hats:

Dmitri Young

Jon Rauch

…but Jerome Williams didn’t why?[/quote]

The story I read on that said that the hats didn’t get to RFK until the 2nd inning due to transit delays. Perhaps the Williams pic is from the first?

As an almost-20-year-old who went to high school in Virginia, I knew quite a few kids who go to Tech. Thankfully, all of them are ok. I’m still just absolutely numb about the whole thing.

• Minna H. | April 18, 2007 at 1:07 am |

[quote comment=”71872″]Couple of pics of VT Nationals in this link .

As a student here at Virginia Tech, little things like this are a help (at least to me). It still hurts, but I appreciate the outpouring of support.[/quote]

Kyle O, I am sorry that you have to experience this awful tragedy (as well as all of the VaTech family). I am sending good thoughts and a healing light your way.

• Frank Mercogliano | April 18, 2007 at 1:07 am |

Paul,

The year escaes me, but in an All-Star game, Bryan Trottier of the Islanders couldn’t wear 19, so he wore 61 instead, because that way when he scored and raised his arms, it would be a 19, and he did score in that game as well.

Sid Fernandez wore #50 in honor of his home state, Hawaii, the 50th state.

Butch Goring wore 91 with the Islanders because Trottier was 19 and that’s what Goring wore in Los Angeles.

Ray Bourque wore #77 because his #7 was retired while he was wearing it for Phil Esposito.

Jim Otto and Omar Olivaras both wore #00 because of their names.

Michael Jordan wore #45 in his second tour with Chicago as that’s what he wore in minor league baseball, and that was also his high school number.

That’s good for now.
    Frank

• Chris f | April 18, 2007 at 1:24 am |

Gretzky wore 99 because I believe in his midget league, 9 was taken. 9 was gordie howes number, and waynes favorite, so he doubled it to make 99 to have the number he atleast wanted.

Also ,Martin Biron wears 43 because he couldn’t wear 00 in the NHL because of rules and regulations.

• Chris f | April 18, 2007 at 1:25 am |

And a-rod wears 13 because it’s his high school football number.

• Broker75 | April 18, 2007 at 1:29 am |

Sid Fernandez wore #50 in honor of his home state, Hawaii, the 50th state.

actually there was a slugger on the Mets who wore 50 in honour of his home state Hawaii, Benny Agbayani

• jones | April 18, 2007 at 1:38 am |

• Geoff | April 18, 2007 at 2:51 am |

not sure if anyone mentioned this yet but England’s Premier League has launched their new name & number font…
    look here

• stuby | April 18, 2007 at 6:57 am |

Giants Pitching Coach Dave Righetti gave up #19 to family friend, 2B/OF Kevin Frandsen, and took #46 in honor of Kirk Rueter.

• Mark in Shiga | April 18, 2007 at 8:42 am |

[quote comment=”71890″]speaking of the 3.14, there was a goalie for the local hockey team, the Odessa Jackalopes, a few years back named Billy Pi. I’m pretty sure he wore number three and his mask had pi signs all over it.[/quote]

When Felix Pie first got his “real” uniform number this speing (I think he had 65 or 66 when he played spring training in 2006), I couldn’t help but wonder if they gave him 17 because it was 3+14.

They should give him number 4 just to mock that school board who wanted to redefine one of math’s most important numbers!

• Todd | April 18, 2007 at 9:13 am |

There’s about 5 players on the Mets that have the grey underbill also. Paul has pointed out a few times that most likely these players haven’t broken in the new hats yet.

• Jim | April 18, 2007 at 2:00 pm |

Back in the day, some refs would wear bow-ties, because they’re much harder than straight-ties to grab and jerk down in a donnybrook.

• Jim | April 18, 2007 at 2:18 pm |

Jim Harbaugh wore 4 in honor of Bobby Orr. Classy!

[quote comment=”71836″][quote comment=”71827″]Off the top of my head for the numbers list
    #25, nick anderson for hte orlando magicv in honor of his friend who was shot

i’ll be back with more later[/quote]
    Daugherty’s #43 was for Richard Petty[/quote]

• andy | April 22, 2007 at 2:51 pm |

Dennis Rodman wore 10 with the Pistons, then when he went to the Bulls 10 was retired for Bob Love, so he chose 91 because 9 + 1 = 10. I also believe he wore 73 for the Mavs for the same reason. I know he played for the Lakers, too, but I’m not sure what number he wore for them.