Sunday Open Thread

padres1.jpg

(Photo by Donald Miralle/Getty Images)

Quite a spectacle last night in San Diego, where the Padres broke out their desert camouflage uniforms and the Rockies wore their purple tops (additional pics here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here).

84 comments to Sunday Open Thread

• Johnny O | April 8, 2007 at 8:58 am |

I have been in Las Vegas for the past week, so I am not as up to date on my Uni Watch blogs as I should be. It is weird being gone from a computer for a week and the first thing I think about when I get home is to check Uni Watch and not my e-mail.

I saw it was mentioned briefly in yesterday’s comments that the 2007 USA Junior National Select Team was wearing Nike’s System of Dress uni’s for their 100-80 victory yesterday against the World team.They seem to copy Syracuse’s style more than the other’s. All in all they looked pretty decent.

Also, It was mentioned a few days ago that the Brew Crew are now wearing their “Retro Sunday” uni’s on Friday. They are doing this all year to commemorate the 1982 AL Championship team. Every Friday they will be giving out a mini bobblehead of a member of that team. I think they are going retro Fridays this year because there are more Friday home games than Sunday ones…but I could be wrong.

And yes, they Crew are wearing satin dugout jackets during these Retro Friday days. Someone a few days ago was wondering if the team will be wearing them, and sure enough they are going the whole way the retro look. I don’t have any pics, but I remember making the comment to my friend that they were wearing cool satin jackets on Friday’s game. Also a person mentioned that it is good that their retro uni’s match their helmet. They did this last year as well, so no change there. I don’t know if the person was just commenting on it, or they thought the Crew had different helmet’s last year.

I think that is all for now. To all the people celebrating it, Happy Easter. And to those who are not, Happy Masters Sunday.

Team USA’s System of Dress

• BigMatt | April 8, 2007 at 9:21 am |

SoD is growing on me – I just wish the jerseys were a little looser.

• Ben K | April 8, 2007 at 9:27 am |

Wow, the World Select jerseys in the the system of dress are entirely different based on country of origin, weird

• Ben K | April 8, 2007 at 9:28 am |
  • Tim | April 8, 2007 at 9:46 am |

Yesterday in the cricket World Cup, Bangladesh wore green with yellow trim against South Africa who wore green with yellow trim.

Link

• rphBob | April 8, 2007 at 9:55 am |

I am glad to finally know what was going on yesterday….I thought the Rox were just running aroung playing with themselves….I couldn’t see the Padres out there. Man that Camo was effective

• stuby | April 8, 2007 at 10:07 am |

Those camo unis look a hundred times better than the Rockies normal/alt. unis. Bright purple with pinstripes? Friggin’ hideous!

• DJ | April 8, 2007 at 10:07 am |

a little logo creep at the Masters this week, Jim Mackay, caddie of Phil Mickelson, has had an UnderArmour shirt under his normal white caddie “jumpsuit” if you will – not that company logos are uncommon in golf, but his UA logo really stuck out to me, can’t find a pic though

• Ian | April 8, 2007 at 10:22 am |

Andruw Jones went bank robber yesterday:

• Ian | April 8, 2007 at 10:23 am |

Sorry. Forgot the link:

• MGreen | April 8, 2007 at 10:39 am |

Every time the Padres wear their camo alts, it seems like they get more and more of the details right (green hats, socks, sleeves, even the belt). However, it looks like some of the players still haven’t gotten that memo.

• Zachattac | April 8, 2007 at 11:12 am |

David Wells never gets the memo

• David | April 8, 2007 at 11:13 am |

I went to the Virginia-Duke baseball game in Charlottesville yesterday. Hard to see in this picture, but Duke was wearing some ugly metallic-blue batting helmets.

• David | April 8, 2007 at 11:13 am |

Forgot the link, http://www.goduke.co...

• S Bennett | April 8, 2007 at 11:25 am |

Big whoop, I say.

SB

• =bg= | April 8, 2007 at 11:32 am |

Today’s Peanuts strip has some weather-related relevance..

• Marc | April 8, 2007 at 11:35 am |

I can’t really tell from the pictures….but is S.D. wearing their road cream faux grey pants. If so, when was the last time both teams wore their road pants in the same game?

• Walker | April 8, 2007 at 11:48 am |

The Canadian womens hockey team wore pink jerseys yesterday against the U.S.

• DA STUBZ | April 8, 2007 at 11:49 am |

• Ben Wideman | April 8, 2007 at 11:58 am |

[quote comment=”67769″]The Canadian womens hockey team wore pink jerseys yesterday against the U.S.[/quote]

Apparently a nod to the first women’s world team in 1990… this article explains in the second to last paragraph.

• GoTerriers | April 8, 2007 at 11:59 am |

From Yesterday’s Comments:
    [quote comment=”67643″]dont know if anyones watching but MSU and BC are playing in the NCAA hockey finals. THe goalie for BC, Cory Schneider has a great mask. Both he and his brothers (friends of mine) are nicknamed Schneids, and Cory has “schneids” on the chin of his mask in a cool graffiti type of font. Whats odd, is that I’ve never seen him wear this before. Cool that he has his own personalized BC mask, especially since he plays US hockey as well.[/quote]

Patrick, “Schneids” has been wearing that mask for all of this season and for all of last season as well. It also has “None Shall Pass” written on the back plate (sorry, so pics) in an obvious allusion to his puck-stopping ability.
    (Too bad that ability all but vanished in the last 10 minutes of the NCAA Championship last night)

• Rip Slagcheek | April 8, 2007 at 12:03 pm |

Awkward.

• c.smith | April 8, 2007 at 12:34 pm |

watching the pirates/reds game and they just showed jack wilson in the field and he was wearing his pirates beanie over top his baseball hat so only the bill of the hat was visible

• Robert | April 8, 2007 at 12:49 pm |

I think that the Padres’ camo jerseys look better than their regular uniform.

As for the Rockies, at least they aren’t wearing purple vests. Baby steps . . . .

• Tim | April 8, 2007 at 12:51 pm |

[quote comment=”67772″]Are the Padres the only team that wears pants that aren’t gray, white or pinstriped?[/quote]
    The Padres home pants are white.

Some of my own pics from last night’s Military Opening Night. It’s a great tradition in San Diego. I didn’t realize they’ve been doing it for 12 years.

They do wear their sand road pants ever since the switched to the desert camouflage. They used to go with green camo.

• Ben | April 8, 2007 at 12:59 pm |

Kevin Millwood likes his stirrups of the faux variety.

Perhaps they are actually really high cut like another Ranger but even then that guy didn’t look as good with the Rangers as he did here (minus that thick pinning).

• TD | April 8, 2007 at 1:02 pm |

The Camo may have saved us from eternal purple – the Rockies were wearing it again because they were undefeated in purple this year.

Although, as dumb as the solid purple is, the black-on-black vest with the double outlined number set is ten times worse.

• mrsguy | April 8, 2007 at 1:05 pm |

The little mister and I were just commenting on the aimless state of SD uniforms. Back in the day (78-84), San Diego made a bold sartorial statement with the brown and orange and that terrific sans serif 70’s font. Today, they look like they work for the National Park Service. I do like that look on a park ranger.

Not that anybody’s going to reach into the past and embrace the brown and orange of yore, but I’m telling you you could sell that 70’s jersey on fredflare.com right now. It’s a swinging look.

• Riley | April 8, 2007 at 1:44 pm |

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but it turns out that the Angels are one of the teams that lets the starting pitchers pick which jersey they wear. Kelvim Escobar won in the alt reds last week, so guess what the Angels will be wearing this afternoon?

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | April 8, 2007 at 2:03 pm |

some familiar faces sitting courtside at the world championships in those pictures…
    former depaul and nba guard rod strickland
    former georgetown guard michael jackson
    former iowa and usc head coach george raveling

• TD | April 8, 2007 at 2:21 pm |

Twins’ first base coach Jerry White is wearing a gigantic blue hooded fleece sweatshirt under his uniform today in Chicago – it almost looks like a bathrobe.

I’m not positive, but I think he’s wearing the wrong hat as well (a home ‘TC’ hat instead of the road ‘M’)…

• TD | April 8, 2007 at 3:21 pm |

Rockies are in the basic pinstriped grays today. Glad they packed them for the trip.

• Vincent A. Cipollone | April 8, 2007 at 3:33 pm |

Do the Twins wear purple? Or is it just navy blue?

• scott | April 8, 2007 at 3:39 pm |

I know ballplayers are a supersitious lot, but I had no idea that ONE victory in a certain uniform could prompt a player or team to start wearing that uniform over and over and over again.

• Matthew | April 8, 2007 at 3:40 pm |
  • ryan | April 8, 2007 at 3:56 pm |

the twins wear navy, red and white

• Elliott | April 8, 2007 at 3:56 pm |

• Elliott Pollack | April 8, 2007 at 4:00 pm |

• TX Ken | April 8, 2007 at 4:04 pm |

Are you serious?!….

• Elliott Pollack | April 8, 2007 at 4:05 pm |

and this and this, but i found this, this, and this. Paul, what knowledge to you have on this topic? I have no pictures (help), but I don’t remember him wearing a uni so far with the cubs, and he isn’t wearing one today, for sure.

• TX Ken | April 8, 2007 at 4:06 pm |

[quote comment=”67842″]i found this picture of Sweet Lou with the D-Rays with a windbreaker. Paul, did you ever notice this?[/quote]
    Are you serious?!…

• Zac | April 8, 2007 at 4:29 pm |

[quote comment=”67763″][quote comment=”67734″]SoD is growing on me – I just wish the jerseys were a little looser.[/quote]

Big whoop, I say.

SB[/quote]
    My thoughts exactly. The jerseys are still tighter than normal and have a distinct look that I can pick out, but the shorts aren’t that much different at all.

• Wes at UI | April 8, 2007 at 4:43 pm |

I certainly hope Zach Johnson doesn’t wind up pulling out a Masters victory. I like the guy and all, he plays very well, but he looks like a tool out there today.

• rphBob | April 8, 2007 at 5:43 pm |

[quote comment=”67779″][quote comment=”67743″]I thought the Rox were just running aroung playing with themselves….[/quote]

Awkward.[/quote]

Uh….I meant BY themselves….sorry

• Scott W | April 8, 2007 at 5:50 pm |

I love the way the flag is flying “backwards” on the right sleeve. Definitely makes it look more military-like…adds a nice touch.

And David Wells…button up your damn shirt.

• Chris | April 8, 2007 at 5:51 pm |

I’m surprised no one mentioned this yet…but last night, the Canadian women’s national hockey team wore their retro (circa 1990) pink jerseys. Alas, they not did wear them with the white pants they wore back then.

Pink!!!

• Patrick | April 8, 2007 at 6:03 pm |

Talk about your double edged swords: high socks and logo creep. The Auburn baseball team came into LSU this weekend and they all wear their pants high showing lots of sock but they only do it to show the UnderArmor logo on the sock. Plus, the blue socks were a different blue than the jersey. I couldn’t find a pic from this weekend. But here is one of their photo galleries from earlier this year.

• Will | April 8, 2007 at 6:14 pm |

[quote comment=”67763″]SoD is growing on you because it has gotten looser – and the shorts shorter than the original specs we saw. In the end, they’ve created a whole lot of hoopla over a friggin basketball uni that looks like the old basketball unis. Marketing strikes again!

Big whoop, I say.

SB[/quote]
    The only thing that really bothered me about the SoD was the length of the shorts. They’re really out of hand in the original posed pictures. Well, I hate that and the fact that every jersey is basically the same font and number style with a different school name on it. I think that’s the trend I hate the most: template unis.

• Eric | April 8, 2007 at 6:18 pm |

Just a little reminder about West Virginia’s NIT champion shirt mistake.

Click here to buy a shirt about it, sort of.

• Dave A | April 8, 2007 at 7:01 pm |

[quote comment=”67841″]yo i’ve never noticed this before…is today a one-time thing or does lou pinella not wear a uniform?[/quote]

Jays manager John Gibbons does the same thing. I can’t recall ever seeing him wear a regular uni.

• Vincent A. Cipollone | April 8, 2007 at 7:13 pm |

Are you serious?!….[/quote]

• Tim | April 8, 2007 at 7:50 pm |

Happy Easter.

Ice was present in the fountains at the K on saturday. That was a first. Another first, during warm ups, Verlander the ace of the Tigers threw the ball into the stands. I grabed the ball, and gave it to my cousin, which Verlander later signed for him. It was a crazy little circle of luck.

Uni-note. Mike Maroth wears a little league adjustable belt. Gary Sheffield has UGLY shoes.

• BrooklynBS | April 8, 2007 at 7:56 pm |

Let’s amend one of the great movie lines related to baseball:

“There’s no purple in baseball!”

• Chris P | April 8, 2007 at 8:05 pm |

• Tom | April 8, 2007 at 8:15 pm |

The Padres camouflage unis are friggin’ hideous”

• Tom | April 8, 2007 at 8:19 pm |

Purple is a great color when used in moderation…

LSU caps are outstanding.

• Tom | April 8, 2007 at 8:31 pm |

• Greg | April 8, 2007 at 8:48 pm |

The Padres camouflage unis are friggin’ hideous”

This is not a good look folks. We can excuse you today because maybe we’ve had too many sugerladen Easter eggs this weekend but the SD thing is stupid, misdirected and horrific. Fans should get rain checks for having to watch the Friars when they wear these things… It’s not fair…[/quote]

Yeah! What are they thinking trying to honor the troops? Screw the troops!

• schuby | April 8, 2007 at 8:52 pm |

The Padres camouflage unis are friggin’ hideous”

There we go! And it doesn’t make sense to me how the Padres camo and Rockies purple is “quite a spectacle”, and the Diamondbacks red and Rockies purple is ” the ugliest game of the year.” but everyone has opinions I guess

On another note, where is the Ditch the Black website, it appears to have dissapeared.

• williamsc105 | April 8, 2007 at 9:17 pm |

Today during the Reds/Pirates game, former Reds pitcher and current Reds broadcaster Chris Welsh mentioned that they used to get fined by the team if they didn’t wear their stirrups. Maybe Jerry Narron and Wayne Krivsky need to get together on this…

• Marc | April 8, 2007 at 10:05 pm |

[quote comment=”67888″]Purple is a great color when used in moderation…

LSU caps are outstanding.[/quote]

where do you get “in moderation” from a purple hat with purple letters?

• TX Ken | April 8, 2007 at 10:20 pm |

Are you serious?!….[/quote]

Bro, relax. I’m colorblind and the Twins unis have looked purple to me since I was a boy. I just wanted to make sure.[/quote]

• Greg | April 8, 2007 at 10:21 pm |

All this mention of the Padres camo in SD but nobody has mentioned the Reds wearing their new sunday reds today. very nice. The Angels should be taking notes. Notice how the numbers and the jerseys are DIFFERENT colors.

• Russell | April 8, 2007 at 10:24 pm |

• Russell | April 8, 2007 at 10:25 pm |
  • Billy B. | April 8, 2007 at 10:26 pm |

• TX Ken | April 8, 2007 at 10:32 pm |

Did anyone else see Red wraps around Manny Ramirez’ dreds? A couple shots on the ESPN telecast tonight reminded me of Captain Jack Sparrow’s hair.

• Tim | April 8, 2007 at 10:51 pm |

The Padres camouflage unis are friggin’ hideous”

I guess you have to live in San Diego to appreciate what those camo uniforms mean to us. The Padres do not wear them as a gimic, like so many teams do in the minors. They represent a serious appreciation for the vast military population that is found in San Diego. I think it is a very great thing the Padres do once every year.

• Stu | April 8, 2007 at 10:59 pm |

Not sure where i can find a picture but for today’s Pistons-Cavs game, Carlos Delfino was wearing white warmups while the rest of the team wore the colored warmups.

• Sage Confucius | April 8, 2007 at 11:01 pm |

[quote comment=”67883″]Did anyone else see the South Carolina v. Florida baseball game on ESPN today? Florida’s uniforms were awful. Tons of logo creep and odd striping/gussets. Russell Athletic actually has their logo on the right breast of the jersey. Hopefully someone else can find a picture.[/quote]

Here’s the link to the Florida photo gallery from today’s game.

• =bg= | April 8, 2007 at 11:05 pm |

The Giants wear light creme colored unis at home- they don’t have a set of white unis. Gray for road, no alt.

• Lake | April 8, 2007 at 11:17 pm |

[quote comment=”67914″][quote comment=”67875″][quote comment=”67843″][quote comment=”67834″]Do the Twins wear purple? Or is it just navy blue?[/quote]
    Are you serious?!….[/quote]

Ha Ha, sorry man! I have a 2 year old that may be colorblind! Forgive me. Just a funny thing to post on a site for such obsessive sports people.[/quote]
    I’ll admit that I also thought they wore purple when I was young. I also thought the Yankees wore black.

• David | April 8, 2007 at 11:27 pm |

I assume that is short for “Big Papi”.

• Billy B. | April 8, 2007 at 11:39 pm |

I assume that is short for “Big Papi”.[/quote]

• Bill | April 8, 2007 at 11:50 pm |

Gotta love a team that wears pink and still kicks the US’s butt! Go Canada!!

• ryan | April 8, 2007 at 11:54 pm |

[quote comment=”67917″]

Okay so maybe I’m behind the times on this, but what is Sheed doing in this picture- it seems that his jersey is tucked into his compression shorts, then he is sagging he shorts so that you can see about an inch of the black elastic. Any ideas or corrections?[/quote]

well i’m not sure but i think sheed does the “lucky” thing with a pair of “lucky shorts” that he wears underneath his actual game shorts so that could be it…

• David L | April 9, 2007 at 12:12 am |

Jose Cruz Jr.’s stirrups returned in their full glory today. As a tribute to his dad, they are the epitome of sock perfection.

Unfortunately, the Padres are still wearing their Navy alts.

Home: 1
    Road: 0
    Alt: 4
    Camo: 1

• Zac | April 9, 2007 at 12:27 am |

[quote comment=”67925″][quote comment=”67887″]Okay, 55 comments into the blog and no one has yet stepped up to proclaim “the Padres camouflage unis are friggin’ hideous”, so I’ll do the honors…

The Padres camouflage unis are friggin’ hideous”

In addition, every Sunday home game, an entire section is donated so that new recruits can enjoy a game together. In the middle of the 4th inning, they play one of the armed forces anthems (don’t remember which) and all the recruits stand at attention. The rest of the fans are standing too, in a standing ovation of respect and gratitude.[/quote]
    Not only do I appreciate the meaning and intention behind those unis, but I think they look great. I kind of wish they wore them more often, but that would probably take away from the neatness/specialty/coolness/whatever of them.

• Minna H. | April 9, 2007 at 1:33 am |

I think it’s fine to want to salute the troops, but I don’t like the camo unis from an aesthetic point of view. They are drab (I know they are supposed to be), unexciting, and just blah in general–especially when paired with the pants they are wearing.

• Tim | April 9, 2007 at 1:37 am |

why are we appreciating a team that kicks usa’s butt? or girls hockey for that matter?

• BA | April 9, 2007 at 2:07 am |

[quote comment=”67934″][quote comment=”67933″][quote comment=”67920″]They showed a close-up of David Ortiz’s cleats, and he had “BP 34” on his shoes. That is sort of strange that he puts the initials of his nickname on his cleats.[/quote]

I assume that is short for “Big Papi”.[/quote]

I know what his nickname was, I just wanted to know if there are any other players that put the initials of their nickname on the cleats instead of their real name.[/quote]

Here
    is a shot of Alex Rodriguez’ nickname on his shoes from last year.

• Steve | April 9, 2007 at 7:05 am |

[quote comment=”67892″]http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/t280/index.jsp

Okay. I suppose we might see Manny Ramirez wearing this on his head next? I’m not sure why I’m discussing soccer but this warrants a “Whatizit?”[/quote]

Alecko suffered a concussion at some point last year so he wears that rugby/wrestling-ish head gear to prevent further damage.

• Graham | April 9, 2007 at 12:51 pm |

[quote comment=”67777″]The Canadian womens hockey team wore pink jerseys yesterday against the U.S.[/quote]

Interesting that these replica unis didn’t replicate the Tackla logo (that was slathered all over the shoulder yoke as well) but instead replaced it all with a swoosh below the neckline. Lame.

• ACC (the Brain) | April 9, 2007 at 5:44 pm |

[quote comment=”67881″]Let’s amend one of the great movie lines related to baseball:

“There’s no purple in baseball!”[/quote]

The line doesn’t work.

Rice won the national championship in purple.