Buffs in the Buff

buffalo.gif

It’s not often that I use an item from the comments section as the basis for the next day’s lead item. But yesterday’s comments had a pretty amazing contribution from Brian Crisp, who posted some photos of the Houston Buffalos, an old minor league team from Houston’s pre-MLB days. Lots of good pics (I’ll get to more of them in a sec), but the one that blew me away was this shot of a Buffs player wearing shorts.

As regular readers may recall, at least one other minor league team has worn shorts: the 1950 Hollywood Stars. When writing about them back in August, I said the Stars were the first professional baseball team to go shorts-clad, but the caption to the Buffs photo says the shorts were worn “for parts of the ’49 & ’50 seasons as a gate-juicer for some bad teams,” which would predate the Stars by one season. Anyone know if there are any earlier examples out there?

(And yes, the White Sox wore shorts for one game in 1976, but everyone knows about that already.)

Crisp also linked to gallery with lots of other great Buffalos photos, including this, this (note the zip-front jersey), this (from a 1932 uni), this (1931), this, and this (I think this is the only time I’ve seen a baseball jersey with uni numbers on both sleeves [Update: I’d forgotten about the 1979-80 Cardinals]).

Incidentally, while the shorts photo was new to me, it’s pretty obvious that it’s served as a recent inspiration for someone else.

Corner Kick: Speaking of athletes in shorts, the U.S. men’s soccer team unveiled its new alternate jersey yesterday. The consensus in yesterday’s comments section and among the several readers who e-mailed me was that the new design sucks (Ronald Charles was particularly incensed about the prospect of this jersey/shorts combo). I’m too soccer-indifferent to render any kind of worthwhile judgment, but I will say this: The last time a saw a blue jersey with white pinstripes, it didn’t look so hot.

Radio Free Uni Watch: Me, talking uniforms, tomorrow morning 9 a.m. eastern, on Springfield, Missouri’s KADI.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Fun piece here about the shoes Washington wore in the Pac 10 tourney (with thanks to Dave Sizer). … The sports world’s latest really stupid trademark-related legal flap involves Roberto Clemente’s uniform number. … Golf news from Jeff Heckelman, who reports Geoff Ogilvy, Johan Edfors, and Hideto Tanihara will be wearing gold shoes at the Masters.

93 comments to Buffs in the Buff

• Chad E. | March 22, 2007 at 8:02 am |

Regarding your sunglasses column on ESPN, i just thought i would throw out there that Chris DiMarco has sunglasses and he wears them behind his hat when he’s hitting shot, but immedieatly after hitting a shot, he puts them back on until he’s ready to his a shot again.

• Rene | March 22, 2007 at 8:03 am |

• Robert | March 22, 2007 at 8:08 am |

I know little (ok, nothing) about soccer or how the jerseys should look, but I like the U.S. Men’s alternate jersey. Clean, simple, kind of classy.

As for the awesome Dave Kingman link, in which he sported the powder blues with white pinstripes, it really took me back to my youth. I had a poster taken from the pages of “Baseball Magazine” on my wall that looked very similar to that photo. KONG!

• Austin Gray | March 22, 2007 at 8:12 am |

Is it just me, or does the photo of the Houston player in shorts remind anyone of the uniforms in A League of Their Own?

It’s not the fact that the new US 3rd shirt has pinstripes, per se. I think it’s more that there are just too many pinstripes. If they were a little more sparse, I would be happier with it. Instead, it looks like a jersey that AYSO Leagues buy in bulk to outfit their youth teams.

• LES | March 22, 2007 at 8:15 am |

Hi

Pinstripe soccer shirts used to be a reguler thing on soccer kits during the 80s between 81 and 84 Liverpool had a red shirt with white pinstripes on the front only an a yellow away shirt with red pinstripes all over ,Ipswitch Town had white on blue pinstripe adidas shirt and there was quite a few others.

Les

• Pittsburgh Gunny | March 22, 2007 at 8:16 am |

The new USA shirt is ok, I don’t really like it nor do I totally dislike it. For me I think the USA looks best when they wear the white shirt with the red sash like they wore in the 1950 World Cup.

• Robert | March 22, 2007 at 8:16 am |

Regarding the pale purple shoes worn by Washington in the Pac 10 tournament: Kansas State wore shoes of a similar color back in the 1980s, except that I think that they were Adidas.

They really stood out on the court, particularly those worn by Norris Coleman. That guy had huge feet. My efforts to find a color photo of Coleman wearing those shoes went unrewarded.

• anthony | March 22, 2007 at 8:20 am |

1. I guess wearing heavy wool uniforms in 98 degree + heat would turn any team into a fashion faux pas. But I guess Hollywood only had enough money to tailor the striped pants…
    2. the pinstriopes wouldn’t be so bad if the shorts matched. I agree with Pittsburgh Gunny – old school USA uni’s looked the best.

• Kim | March 22, 2007 at 8:31 am |

The new US jersey looks amazingly like some U-8 girls uni.

Maybe it’ll look better on the field, but this is right up there with the robin’s egg blue alt uni as one of Nike’s worst US shirts. Most have been OK, some have been good, some have been outstanding.

• J at The Dundies | March 22, 2007 at 8:35 am |

Actually, I really like the new US alts. I just think they look good. I can see the problem with wearing them with the blue shorts, but I can certainly see myself wearing one of those.

• ed gaug | March 22, 2007 at 8:37 am |

I think the jersey by itself looks alright. I would wear it out with jeans or shorts, but as a kit it looks awful. Theres not good way to match pinstripes without pinstriping the shorts and looking a fool in the process. Can anyone do some photoshopping and see what white shorts or blue/white pinstripe shorts would look like? If not, I’ll do it when I get back from work.

• JohnBoy | March 22, 2007 at 8:55 am |

Did anyone else see Gilbert Arenas’s shoes last night in Seattle? Apparently he’s wearing a different shoe in every city and it was supposed to have the Space Needle on it. Unfortunately, it looked like a bad neon/fluorescent patchwork quilt. Can’t find a photo. Can someone help?

• JohnBoy | March 22, 2007 at 8:57 am |

Found one. Here’s Gilbert’s shoes.

• Alex | March 22, 2007 at 8:57 am |

Paul,

According to the amazing MLB Style guide 3.0. The 1979-80 St. Louis Cardinals had jersey numbers on both sleeves “football style.”

Scroll down to the bottom of the link for the picture.

• Paul Lukas | March 22, 2007 at 9:15 am |

[quote comment=”62235″]Paul,

Scroll down to the bottom of the link for the picture.

Damn, totally forgot about that. Thanks for the memory jog!

• keith | March 22, 2007 at 9:16 am |

• Anthony Verna | March 22, 2007 at 9:21 am |

[quote comment=”62241″]The third shirt doesn’t look bad on its own, but it’s pretty bad with the royal shorts. It’d be much better with white shorts, I’d think.

That said, the current primary and change kits are excellent (especially the change kit), and I really don’t see the occasion that the squad would wear this third jersey (especially since the change kit is, well, blue)[/quote]

I think they’re wearing it for one of the two friendlies that’s coming up. That kind of surprises me, as U.S. Soccer is kind of like the Cowboys or Dolphins – they wear white at home when most teams wear colors, so they wear white on the road, too.

• Scott | March 22, 2007 at 9:33 am |

If the US wanted to have a stellar 3rd jersey, they should’ve come out with a version of the red jersey they wore for a world cup warm up. I don’t have a picture of it, put it’s real nice.
    Also, that jersey would be nice if it was complimented with white shorts.

• voteprime | March 22, 2007 at 9:42 am |

JohnBoy, thanks for the photo of Gilbert’s shoes. I read about them and came here immediately knowing I wouldn’t be the only one excited about this.

• Stuby | March 22, 2007 at 9:42 am |

• Brad | March 22, 2007 at 9:47 am |

Another blue uni with white pinstripes – Penny and Shaq style.

Also, I think the new USA uni will look great with white shorts.

• Judd | March 22, 2007 at 10:00 am |

[quote comment=”62250″]So, we have the Houston Buffalos and the Colorado Buffaloes. I guess the Maple Leafs, Red/White Sox and this team have shown you can use whatever plurality you see fit.[/quote]

And you even add a third plural (without a letter “s”) to your list – “… give me a home where the buffalo roam…”

• Oakdale Panther | March 22, 2007 at 10:09 am |

Re: Club 21 at PNC Park

A little background on this. The lounge area in question sits on the club level down the RF line and had been converted into an exclusive cigar bar for 2006, the Montecristo Club. (I thought it was oddly funny for the Pirates to promote a smokers’ den while MLB was running anti-tobacco ads on the scoreboard video screens.)

Anyway, the Buccos have decided to ban smoking throughout PNC Park this year — no more butts burning on the outer concourses, either — and so the cigar club had to be rebranded. What better homage than to honor The Great Clemente, the legendary rightfielder who is already feted at PNC by a larger-than-life statue, a 21-ft. high wall in RF, his name and number on the stadium’s facade, and any number of cheesy promotional giveaways during the course of the season.

Naturally, this being the Pirates, they have managed to foul up somewhere… I think the 21 Club people in NY are getting their bloomers in a wad over nothing, but that’s the Bucs’ luck.

In a way it’s funny… this is the first time anyone in New York has been the least bit concerned about a baseball team in Pittsburgh since the Pirates kicked the Mets’ cans in 1990. Maybe the Bucs’ series at Yankee Stadium this summer can settle it… best 2 of 3 takes the naming rights to both venues.

• Metsfan AZ | March 22, 2007 at 10:13 am |

[quote comment=”62252″]Another blue uni with white pinstripes – Penny and Shaq style.

Also, I think the new USA uni will look great with white shorts.[/quote]
    Don’t forget this one, BTW I hate both of those. I don’t like neck to knee pinstripes, I think it’s got a chance with white shorts.
    RE: golf sunglasses – they put them on that way (on the back of their head) so that their sponsors’ logo is still visible.

• Denis | March 22, 2007 at 10:58 am |

Paul,
    I found these glasses on Ebay, I think some MLB players may be interested. They are flip up mp3 player sunglasses, the best of both words.

• Flip | March 22, 2007 at 10:59 am |

Uniform bracketology

• douglas | March 22, 2007 at 11:09 am |

pinstripes have been a CLASSIC in World Cup since early 80’s, originally brought by adidas, now back since Germany’06 on teams like Spain or Chelsea at club level, with much success IMO. The original uniforms had pinstriped shorts, but it’s kinda odd since jerseys and shorts are contrasted. On the USA jersey, the stripes are too thick and too numerous, rather a baseball style. US Soccer always looks good wether in Nike or Adidas : #1 white/red stripes’94, #2 blue/white stars ’94, #3 current white. 1950 and 1997 were ok too.

• bj in gainesville | March 22, 2007 at 11:09 am |

[quote comment=”62267″]Paul,

Dude, those are pretty awful knockoffs of the Oakley Thump (ie the one Manny wore). The real-deal ones flip up too.

• Geoff | March 22, 2007 at 11:26 am |

I like the new U.S. soccer jersey. I think it will look good with the white shorts, leave the blue ones at home. More on this topic at:

• Geoff | March 22, 2007 at 11:27 am |

sorry for the double comment.

• Ali | March 22, 2007 at 11:28 am |

The Magic’s alternate jerseys from the mid 90’s are one example of a good looking blue jersey with white pinstripes.

• Geoff | March 22, 2007 at 11:29 am |

ok i’ll just skip the link since i’m too retarded to figure it out:

• Chad G | March 22, 2007 at 11:36 am |

[quote comment=”62268″]Uniform bracketology[/quote]

Man, I think they got everyone wrong…except for maybe UNC-USC. Last years UNC Unis would have been a clear winner, but everytime I see them now with those stupid nike collarbone stripes I want to puke. It’s like a nicely pressed Armani shirt…with a ketchup stain right there in the middle

• Jud | March 22, 2007 at 11:42 am |

the Huskies Radio plya-by-play announce Bob Rondeau was on the air here in Seattle after they wore those Air Force 25s…… He HATED them, his sentiments echoed those of Rod Mar. They really did look BAD, and unmatched.

BTW: Here are your public release colors for the Air Force 25:

• Philly Bill | March 22, 2007 at 11:55 am |

The non-patent leather versions of the AF25s are pretty sharp.

Thanks for the link to Hibachi’s shoes. Note that he actually plays in low-tops and does not tape his ankles. Total freak of nature…

The Red Sox organization is a tutorial in outcomes-based pluralization.
    Pawtucket Red Sox (aka Pawsox)

Brockton Rox
    Wilmington Blue Rocks (ie, not ‘Rox’) — home of the Celery Mascot.

• Steve | March 22, 2007 at 12:02 pm |

Here’s another pic of Gilbert’s shoes from last night…..

• Steve | March 22, 2007 at 12:03 pm |

Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas lays his jersey on the court as officials review his buzzer-beating basket over the Seattle SuperSonics Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at KeyArena in Seattle, Wash., in an NBA basketball game. The basket stood and the Wizards beat the Sonics 108-106.

• Mark in Shiga | March 22, 2007 at 12:03 pm |

• Jason | March 22, 2007 at 12:07 pm |

Wow. I bought that jersey at Sportmart, complete with authentic Cobi Jones tackle twill, for $7.

• Mark in Shiga | March 22, 2007 at 12:07 pm |
  • Metsfan AZ | March 22, 2007 at 12:11 pm |

[quote comment=”62286″]The non-patent leather versions of the AF25s are pretty sharp.

The Red Sox organization is a tutorial in outcomes-based pluralization.
    Pawtucket Red Sox (aka Pawsox)

Brockton Rox
    Wilmington Blue Rocks (ie, not ‘Rox’) — home of the Celery Mascot.[/quote]
    I remember reading somewhere that Kareem never taped his ankles and wore low tops as well. IIRC the reasoning was that doing so transfers stress to the knees. He had a kind of long career. Best pic I could find. Ironically it also has Walton and his chronically injured feet/ankles.

• u kno DBo | March 22, 2007 at 12:28 pm |

Uniform bracketology

Oregon and Vanderbilt eh?
    Needless to say you could tell it was written by high school students. Some of those picks were… interesting.

• Chad G | March 22, 2007 at 12:41 pm |

You’re In Japan, so you are probably familiar with this, but…
    I lived in England for awhile and I relized that the pound has about the same purchasing power in the UK as the dollar does in the US, even though the pound is worth almost twice as much internationally.

For example, if a 2 liter bottle of soda costs $1 in the US it costs a pound in England

• Kerry | March 22, 2007 at 1:01 pm |

[quote comment=”62212″]Loving team USA’s alternate Uni!! dont know why all the hate…you guys always bitch about stripes and blah blah blah and now u get stripes and find someone to bitch about…by the way, those canes unis will be on display in January at the Superdome[/quote]
    Did they get an invite to sit in the stands? or maybe even a suite?

• Snyder | March 22, 2007 at 1:11 pm |

The Hanshin Tigers of Japan are using the panel on the underarm, showing that an American uni-trend can spread like a virus (see Nike’s work).

• Snyder | March 22, 2007 at 1:12 pm |

• Mike | March 22, 2007 at 1:12 pm |

Here’s what Notre Dame Hockey coach Jeff Jackson had to say when asked if the Irish would wear green for the CCHA Championship game against Michigan (The Irish had worn green two weekends before in their final home game)…

“Can you imagine then if Michigan is out there wearing their (maize sweaters)? That would be pretty ugly out there.”

Cool to see a coach notices stuff like that.

• Snyder | March 22, 2007 at 1:13 pm |
  • Snyder | March 22, 2007 at 1:14 pm |
  • Snyder | March 22, 2007 at 1:15 pm |

[quote comment=”62313″]http://www.flickr.com/photos/7443778@N02/430559201/in/photostream/[/quote]
    [quote comment=”62314″]http://www.flickr.com/photos/7443778@N02/430559191/in/photostream/[/quote]
    Sorry, photos wouldn’t link properly.

• Alex B | March 22, 2007 at 1:20 pm |

My complaint isn’t so much with the jersey itself (fairly boring but not retch worthy) but with the fact that US Soccer doesn’t stick with something to build a traditional, identifiable look. While Brazil‘s jerseys have their various makeovers over time, they pretty much stay similar. The US has had so many different looks it’s hard to build an identity.

• Kerry | March 22, 2007 at 1:37 pm |

My main problem with the jersey is that the blue color of the material doesn’t match the shield logo. At least make them match!

• Cathy | March 22, 2007 at 1:37 pm |

• Dave S | March 22, 2007 at 1:39 pm |

I had that star-spangled USA soccer jersey as a kid like 13 years ago. Coolest jersey ever.

• C.N. | March 22, 2007 at 1:47 pm |

Right… just like they were on display on the Smurf Turf in Boise, IDAHO in their last bowl game…

• M Flick | March 22, 2007 at 1:49 pm |

MNT thirds don’t really awe me much, considering that they ALREADY HAVE A BLUE KIT. I’d rather see them go with red & white hoops (horizontal stripes).

I’m dissappointed that Nike put these thirds out, they usually do great work with their soccer line. The new duds are duds.

• M Flick | March 22, 2007 at 1:55 pm |

• patrick | March 22, 2007 at 2:11 pm |

[quote comment=”62325″]As much as I would rather see the “Don’t Tread” jersey in the third slot, I don’t want to hear Clint Dempsey rap again.[/quote]

CLint Dempsey is the truth. While he may not be grand master flash or NWA, the rapping indicates mroe about who he is as a person and soccer player. He’s the most original player the US has probably ever produced in soccer and is one of 2-3 threats (donovan, convey beasley) the US has to take people on one on one. He has amazing skills on the ball as well as finishing. True his rapping sucks, but its indicative of the originality and flare he shows on the field. I think, after playing 4 years in england, he will be the most dominant american offensive player. The time spent in england will easily allow him to surpass donovan. Watch out yall, TX Deuce is the future.

• patrick | March 22, 2007 at 2:12 pm |

should have read after playing 4 years in england he will be the most dominant offensive player IN WORLD CUP 2010

• Teebz | March 22, 2007 at 2:13 pm |

Cool to see a coach notices stuff like that.[/quote]

Good work to that coach! He might be the first honourary member of Uni Watch’s Hockey Wing. :o)

• douglas | March 22, 2007 at 2:17 pm |

In the modern era, no national team really had a specific uniform besides the colors and the crest, just the 2 years template of their sponsoring brand. US Soccer prove it didn’t have to use the same jersey for 20 years to distinguish itself, by always bringing unique styles and color combinations (good or bad), mostly influenced by american sports, wich contributes to build an identiy of its own. As for Brasil, even if their uncommon yellow jersey is immediately recognizable, their worldwide reputation is just a matter of skills and wins.

• M Flick | March 22, 2007 at 2:22 pm |

Hey, rapping skillz aside, best of luck to ‘Deuce’ at FFC.

• todd krevanchi | March 22, 2007 at 2:31 pm |

wow is THAT sharp!

• Jon in SLC | March 22, 2007 at 2:40 pm |

wow is THAT sharp![/quote]

I agree. It’s a big upgrade over the just released 3rd.

• Anthony Verna | March 22, 2007 at 2:53 pm |

[quote comment=”62332″][quote comment=”62331″][quote comment=”62320″]Red 3rd jersey the US wore before the World Cup (called the Special Addition “Send Off” Jerseys with the “Don’t Tread on Me patch)was wayyyyyy better than this royal blue mess. Stick with Navy and Red, why bring another tone of blue into the mix. See link for the cool Red Jersey

wow is THAT sharp![/quote]

I agree. It’s a big upgrade over the just released 3rd.[/quote]

Besides, American fans wear red to the games. And when was the last time U.S. Soccer did anything good in blue? Erm. . .

• Anthony Verna | March 22, 2007 at 2:57 pm |

Once you play for a country’s senior team, under FIFA rules, you cannot change.

So that’s just a funny jersey. I chuckled at it.

• Brett | March 22, 2007 at 4:23 pm |

The Red Sox organization is a tutorial in outcomes-based pluralization.
    Pawtucket Red Sox (aka Pawsox)

Brockton Rox
    Wilmington Blue Rocks (ie, not ‘Rox’) — home of the Celery Mascot.[/quote]

The Rox are not a Red Sox farm team. They are an independent team in the Can-Am League.

Can-Am League.

• Kerry | March 22, 2007 at 4:25 pm |

[quote comment=”62328″][quote comment=”62312″]I’m a little late on this, and it goes somewhat with our discussion of green jerseys, but at the same time is good to hear anytime…

Cool to see a coach notices stuff like that.[/quote]

I’ll follow that up by saying that I’ve posted another ugly jersey article on my blog. If you’d like to read it, please go here.[/quote]

• Flip | March 22, 2007 at 4:31 pm |

Wilmington is a Royals single A affiliate.

• Teebz | March 22, 2007 at 4:32 pm |

[quote comment=”62337″]
    Once again, GREAT job!! One minor detail though, it’s the Louisiana ICE Gators, not just the Gators.[/quote]

Making that adjustment now, Kerry. Thanks!

• Brian from Short Island | March 22, 2007 at 4:33 pm |

[quote comment=”62335″][quote comment=”62292″]£120.00 for the ’97 US 3rd soccer jersey!? That’s like $200! The same people will sell you a fully-lettered David Beckham USA jersey (is he changing passports, too?) for less than half the price![/quote]

Once you play for a country’s senior team, under FIFA rules, you cannot change.

So that’s just a funny jersey. I chuckled at it.[/quote]
    When shopping at Subside, be sure to click the little American flag on the bottom of the left sidebar… they take VAT out of the prices and change them to dollars, which makes things much more in line with normal stores. They’re also one of the few to use the official player-size Lextra lettering on their Premiership shirts, and it’s always in the proper position on the shirt. $78.50 for an actual player name-and-number shirt is a good price! (US alternate from ussoccer.com, lettered with heat-pressed lettering is $95)! However, find a friend to bundle shipping with, it’s like 10 quid. :(

• Kerry | March 22, 2007 at 4:34 pm |

[quote comment=”62339″][quote comment=”62337″]

Making that adjustment now, Kerry. Thanks!

Oh, and I guess anything can be a hockey team by simply affixing “Ice” to a word at the front or “king” at the back. :o)[/quote]

• Teebz | March 22, 2007 at 4:51 pm |

[quote comment=”62341″]
    Maybe, but it’s kind of a play on the phrase “Ice Skater” – if you say “Ice Gator” in normal conversation, it sounds almost identical. So it was more of a way to work in a Louisiana “flair” to the team’s name. Personally, I liked it.[/quote]

I get the pun, but there were the Ice Hawks, the Ice Bats, the Ice Cats (from a previous blog entry), the Ice Gators… probably more if I really looked.

And then there were the Lizard Kings, the Cotton Kings, and the River Kings.

• Matthew S. | March 22, 2007 at 5:01 pm |

[quote comment=”62343″][quote comment=”62341″]

And then there were the Lizard Kings, the Cotton Kings, and the River Kings.[/quote]

The Lizard Kings? Isn’t that what Jim Morrison used to call himself?

• Alex B | March 22, 2007 at 5:16 pm |

[quote comment=”62320″]See link for the cool Red Jersey

Cool. They should leave that as their 2nd jersey and have this as their primary kit. Love the laces.

• Minna H. | March 22, 2007 at 5:33 pm |

I like the new US soccer third jerseys (though not with the blue shorts), and I think the ‘Don’t Tread on ME’ jerseys are dreadful. There. I said it.

• Nate F | March 22, 2007 at 5:59 pm |

I think there is a team in Canada somewhere called the Wheatkings as well.

• Teebz | March 22, 2007 at 6:28 pm |

[quote comment=”62349″]Here in Grand Forks, ND, we have bantam hockey teams named the “Sugarkings” and the “Wheatkings.” The region produces a lot of sugar beets and wheat, so it’s not like they just pulled a word out of a hat and slapped “kings” on the tail end…although you’d think there would be a little more creativity in coming up with the names.

I think there is a team in Canada somewhere called the Wheatkings as well.[/quote]

Yeah, it’s in Brandon, Manitoba. Can you tell me why Jacksonville are the Lizard Kings? Do they produce a lot of lizards? Or the Memphis River Kings? They produce rivers?

All I’m saying is that the “king” suffix is overused as you stated at the end, Nate. :o)

• Dave A | March 22, 2007 at 7:29 pm |

[quote comment=”62338″]Wilmington is a Royals single A affiliate.[/quote]

Wilmington was the Red Sox High-A affiliate in 2005 and 2006

• Dave A | March 22, 2007 at 7:31 pm |

[quote comment=”62343″][quote comment=”62341″]

• Dave A | March 22, 2007 at 7:36 pm |

[quote comment=”62354″][quote comment=”62343″][quote comment=”62341″]

There are also the Mississauga (OHL) and Long Beach (ECHL) Ice Dogs, the former named after hockey mouth Don Cherry’s mutt.[/quote]

Sorry, I misspoke, the Mississauga Ice Dogs were not named after Cherry’s dog Blue, but in tribute to it.

• Ben | March 22, 2007 at 8:22 pm |

RE: USA Soccer 3rd Jersey

At least we’re consistent. If you’re going to be the worst team in the world, you might as well dress like it.

Honestly, I think I wore that jersey template in middle school (I only played soccer because it was the only fall sport). I fully expect them to pair it with a pair of those hideous Umbro checkerboard shorts.

• Jeff B | March 22, 2007 at 8:56 pm |

View of the Phillies memorial “VUK” patch here. As noted, it is in honor of John Vukovich who died recently.

• Johnny O | March 22, 2007 at 9:58 pm |

I just have to say how ascetically pleasing it is to watch the Tennessee/Ohio St. game on my HDTV. The orange of TN for some reason offsets the white/red in OSU’s jerseys perfectly. Does anyone else agree it just looks really nice?

• Murphy | March 22, 2007 at 10:30 pm |

I was all on the Pirates side of the whole Club ’21’ thing until they mentioned that the bar will also have 21 beer taps. Wow! What a beautiful sentiment. I love beer (I mean, I really love beer) but that’s a little low.

• My Name is Not Earl | March 22, 2007 at 11:21 pm |

While watching the Tennessee-The Ohio State game, I noticed that the System of Dress doesn’t include the American flag.

• Derek G. | March 22, 2007 at 11:34 pm |

I thought that if you wore a headband it had to be the same color as the uniform. Tennessee is wearing white headbands with their orange unis. I play in the NAIA level and we have to have headbands that are the color of the uniform. Is that not the case for NCAA?

• Dan | March 22, 2007 at 11:43 pm |

Hey now, was that a subtle jab at soccer delivered in the reportage of a new USMNT jersey?

How about a post that looks at some of the awesome, and awesomely terrible, kits that have come out of our domestic league over the past 12 years?

• Minna H. | March 22, 2007 at 11:45 pm |

• C.N. | March 23, 2007 at 12:45 am |

• Minna H. | March 23, 2007 at 1:28 am |

Yeah, the U of M is the big winner in this whole mess. Kentucky fans make me embarrassed to be one. The Golden Gophers just became my favorite Big Ten team…[/quote]

• Andrew | March 23, 2007 at 5:35 am |

Teebz you forgot the good ole Salmon Kings in the ECHL out here in BC

• Richard | March 23, 2007 at 7:37 am |

[quote comment=”62379″][quote comment=”62377″][quote comment=”62373″]Not uni related, per se, but I whooped when I heard that Tubby Smith is coming to Gopherland. He’s gonna look good is maroon and gold![/quote]

Honestly, C.N., the U had to do something big at this point because the team had become such a debacle. Bringing in a great coach and a good guy like Tubby Smith will ease much of the pain in Gopherland. Kentucky’s loss is Minnesota’s gain![/quote]

But just because Tubby’s coming, doesn’t mean Ashley will follow…so UK still takes that one