pox.jpg

After all the hassles caused by the Nike-pox sleeves last season, I’ve been wondering if they’d be back this year. I hadn’t seen any sign of them in spring training until yesterday, when I noticed this photo. Then I remembered how much Carlos Beltran loves the dotted sleeves (he always wears them), so I checked his spring training pics — sure enough. “Damn,” I thought, “another year of this crap.”

Or maybe not. Because a few hours later I got a note from reader Brian Erni, who pointed me toward this — apparently a new undershirt design from Nike. This design is available for at least nine other teams, and there’s also a short-sleeved version.

I’m not sure yet whether these shirts are intended for on-field use (I’m waiting for a call-back from Nike), but I’ll go on record right here: I like the long-sleeved renditions. The contrasting patch panels are simple, not at all video game-ish, and remind me of the sleeve patches on old football jerseys. Erni notes that the effect is also somewhat reminiscent of Jim Edmonds’s windbreaker sleeves from last year’s World Series, but somehow this look doesn’t annoy me nearly as much as that one did.

One thing’s for sure, though: These sleeves are going to be even more distracting to a hitter than the dot-matrix design. Which means we’ll probably still see lots of scenes like this.

Site Update: After a really frustrating week, we’re back in business. There are still a few kinks to be ironed out, but for the most part everything is restored to the way it was before we went all JetBlue on you last Wednesday. And we have discovered exactly what the problem was, so it shouldn’t happen again.

The only bad news is that Sunday’s and most of Monday’s comments were wiped clean. Unavoidable, and not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Incidentally: When the site went blank last Wednesday morning, our post that day was a really good piece by Uni Watch intern Vince Grzegorek. Most of you probably never got to see it, so check it out here.

Thanks to everyone for your patience — it’s good to be back.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Reprinted from yesterday’s comments: Interesting chatter here about the Cubs and Sammy Sosa’s old number. … Yesterday’s shot of Wilt Chamberlain in an unfamiliar uni number led Todd Krevanchi to submit this. “I’m quite certain I’ve seen him wearing No. 16 as well,” he adds. … This pink thing is getting way out of hand (details here, with thanks to AJ Brandt). … Mark Galus notes that George Brett is wearing real stirrups in Royals camp. … Is it just me, or does Gerald Laird’s catcher’s mitt look really undersized? … Take a look at this obituary. The deceased fella was an official scorer and, as you can see, was photographed wearing zebra stripes. The obit’s text refers to him sitting in “his regular spot at the scorer’s table, where he sat dressed in his usual zebra-striped official’s shirt.” Maybe I’m way off base here (I watch approximately zero high school basketball), but isn’t it a little odd for a scorer to wear stripes? … The NCAA will once again be hosting a Skills Challenge as part of this year’s Frozen Four. Last year’s uniforms looked like this and this; this year’s will look like this. … I attended an Arena Football League media shindig last night. Look for a short review on today’s Page 2 index page. … I’ve got a doozy of an interview for you people tomorrow — just you wait!

134 comments to I’m So Happy About the Site Being Back to Normal, I’m Even Saying Good Things About Nike

• keith | February 27, 2007 at 8:45 am |

Re: Gerald Laird’s mitt.

• Pantherfid | February 27, 2007 at 8:53 am |

Make that TWO votes for the new Nike undershirts. I almost closed my eyes when I hit the link. I must admit…I was pleasently surprised as well. Too bad they don’t have one for the Bay Rays…not until next year…after the color/logo change (and maybe if they win a few games too).

• Bud | February 27, 2007 at 8:55 am |

We also used that glove in college and high school as middle infielders to practice turning double plays without closing the glove. It helped tremendously.

• Dave K | February 27, 2007 at 8:56 am |

Scorers generally wear stripes if they’re operating the clock, otherwise not.

• Robert | February 27, 2007 at 8:57 am |

While I am happy to see the Nike-pox shirts go extinct, my elation is somewhat muted by the fact that the Reds have ditched their vests, and will not be able to truly benefit from the new shirts. Thus, my final memories of the beloved vests will be of them being blighted by those ugly Nike shirts. Alas.

Aside: I am not a big fan of the new Nike shirts either. What is so wrong about an undershirt having sleeves that are just one color?

• Richard | February 27, 2007 at 9:01 am |

I like the new Nike shirts, and it might be because of the two tone sleeves. Had MLB gone with a similar style for the BP jerseys, those might be a little better too.

• Kim | February 27, 2007 at 9:03 am |

Hey Mike Schmidt, go a size up on your next hat.

• wooster, oh | February 27, 2007 at 9:05 am |

From InsideHigherEd.com:
    ‘Case Western Reserve University is going back to being called …. Case Western Reserve University. The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported that the university’s board has abandoned the institution’s campaign to be known as just “Case,” a campaign that was unpopular on campus. In addition, the board agreed to abandon an unpopular blue logo, which many at the university believe looks like a fat man holding a surfboard, and to come up with something better.’

Here’s a link to the logo, which I never understood myself.

Glad to see everything back to normal on this blog.

• Mike Miller | February 27, 2007 at 9:14 am |

In the NCAA, the official scorer is considered part of the officiating team and wears a striped shirt as such. It’s been a while since I’ve been to a lot of high school games, but it’s not required there, so it may be a trickle down effect or a local state/conference rule.

• Johnny O | February 27, 2007 at 9:18 am |

From my understanding, every single game I have ever been to at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point home games…the scoring official has always worn zebra stripes. Now, this is DIII basketball. But I would assume it is the same all around

• Dirk | February 27, 2007 at 9:18 am |

• J-P | February 27, 2007 at 9:19 am |

• Sammy44 | February 27, 2007 at 9:27 am |

In our high school games (10 years ago) the scorers would wear the stripes. There would be 3 officials and we used to play the JV game, girls and boys varsity games back to back to back. The officials would rotate so that each one called two games. Because of this the scorer always wore stripes.

• Burrill | February 27, 2007 at 9:33 am |

Regarding high school basketball scorers: here in southeastern Michigan, I can’t recall seeing anyone at the scorers table wearing the stripes this season. Next week, I’ll see if that changes in the playoffs.

• Burrill | February 27, 2007 at 9:35 am |

Oh, and a big A+ on the newly-functional site. I’ve noticed an improvement in performance on this (old) computer. Particularly in the comment preview feature.

• Kyle Joecken | February 27, 2007 at 9:37 am |

[quote comment=”57431″]
    ‘Case Western Reserve University is going back to being called …. Case Western Reserve University. The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported that the university’s board has abandoned the institution’s campaign to be known as just “Case,” a campaign that was unpopular on campus. In addition, the board agreed to abandon an unpopular blue logo, which many at the university believe looks like a fat man holding a surfboard, and to come up with something better.'[/quote]

Now all they have to do is stop running TV ads, and I’ll be happy again.

• Pittsburgh Gunny | February 27, 2007 at 9:37 am |

Hooray the site is fixed!

Anyways here is an interesting little article on the “Holy Grail” of baseball cards.

• Peter Wunsch | February 27, 2007 at 9:37 am |

The Edmonton Oilers are retiring Mark Messier’s #11 in Edmonton tonight. They will be playing Phoenxi so Gretzky will be at the game as will most the Oilumni as they are called.

Also, long-time Ranger announcer John Davison will be abck in NY for the first time on Saturday as GM of St. Louis and he will be in the broadcast booth for part of the game. Of couse those of us at the game will miss all of this.

• mg12 | February 27, 2007 at 9:44 am |

My only beef is with the stupid Pontiac logo on the upper left shoulder.

• Metsfan AZ | February 27, 2007 at 9:45 am |

Welcom back everyone! Couple of things, undecided on the sleeves thing. I guess I miss the plain ol 3/4 sleeves in one color. I also didn’t like that the short sleeve Mets version is dark grey, blecch, I guess we need a ditch the grey.
    Also, after reading Vince’s post and seeing the pink striped I found a pic to tie the two together.

• Jason | February 27, 2007 at 9:47 am |

As a note about the site returning to full functionality, something in the custom code is causing the RSS feed to only show about 100 characters and then an ellipsis, which honestly is a huge pain in the butt for those of us who use feed aggregators.

When the site was “wrong” for the past few days, that wasn’t the case. Any chance we could get that “unfixed”?

• Brandon | February 27, 2007 at 10:00 am |

• Ben Wideman | February 27, 2007 at 10:00 am |

• Mike | February 27, 2007 at 10:08 am |

• Zach | February 27, 2007 at 10:30 am |

[quote comment=”57424″]Re: Gerald Laird’s mitt.

The mitt is likely a training “paddle,” used for ball blocking drills. The paddle has no depth, and is there to protect his hand and give him the feel of blocking balls with the mitt on his hand.[/quote]
    It’s a mit not just for blocking balls but infielders use them to practice catching ground balls and turning double plays with two hands, because it’s the only way you can without a webbing.
    ZG

• Anthony Verna | February 27, 2007 at 10:31 am |

[quote comment=”57431″]It’s not very often that my job in higher ed has anything to do with this blog, but today is special, I guess–and not only because the technical glitches are fixed.

From InsideHigherEd.com:

Here’s a link to the logo, which I never understood myself.

Glad to see everything back to normal on this blog.[/quote]

I heart my alma mater.

Stop laughing, Vince! I can just hear him laughing.

• Elena E | February 27, 2007 at 10:33 am |

• J at The Dundies | February 27, 2007 at 10:38 am |

I don’t love the new shirts, but they are certainly better than Nike-pox. Those were disgusting. The short sleeve versions of them are awesome. I can definitely see myself buying a Tigers one.

Have fun at the AFL thing. I love Arena Football as a sport. Jerseys are hit or miss. Oh, also, it would seem the AFL signed a sponsorship/uniform providing deal with Russel Athletic, which I can only assume is what your thing tonight is about.

Alright! No security code to forget to type in!

• Frank Mercogliano | February 27, 2007 at 10:51 am |

In the NCAA, the official scorer is required to wear a striped referee’s shirt to differentiate him/her from the rest of the table so that the other officals can find him/her easily. They can also be called upon for help, as was the case at our place last Saturday, where the scorer was asked if the clock started correctly on a final inbounds play.

Frank

• Jason | February 27, 2007 at 10:52 am |

[quote comment=”57446″]I cover high school basketball and the number of score keepers that wear the stripes is dwindling. I have also seen scorers with a striped shirt draped over the table in front of the scorers table.[/quote]

Where I used to coach (in Illinois) our scorer also had it draped over the table. He always said it was because he didn’t want to wear it. The year we hosted regionals he was told by the officials he had to wear it. I’m not sure of the rule though.

• Brady | February 27, 2007 at 10:53 am |

RE: blocking gloves.

When we ran the drill as catchers in high school and college, we used wooden paddles shaped like what Laird has. It emphasizes the “blocking” and not the “catching” of balls in the dirt. Of course, now a days it’s cooler to catch everything and not block anything.

• Harry | February 27, 2007 at 10:55 am |

Another good article about Burt

• keith | February 27, 2007 at 11:00 am |

[quote comment=”57451″][quote comment=”57424″]Re: Gerald Laird’s mitt.

ZG[/quote]

Right. Here is an example.

• Riley | February 27, 2007 at 11:10 am |

I scored high school volleyball and basketball the past three years and I can assure you I never donned a striped shirt, nor have I ever seen one worn by a scorer.

• Joey Guns | February 27, 2007 at 11:11 am |

• cliff rancho | February 27, 2007 at 11:15 am |

I’m guessing Chavez and Beltran are just wearing their dot-matrix shirts from last year. Or the club still have a bunch of extras that they brought out to spring training.

regarding the “new” undershirt, I think it looks good…by its self. I think when having a jersey over it, it may look little weird. But I haven’t seen it yet, so I don’t know, I’m just speculating.

• BuckeyeMark | February 27, 2007 at 11:19 am |

here’s a link to discussion of it:

• Richard | February 27, 2007 at 11:20 am |

• Richard | February 27, 2007 at 11:21 am |

[quote comment=”57465″]Tragedy in the Arena Football League last night as a player died from a helmet-to-helmet hit.

It’s not Arena Football League – it was the World Indoor Football League. They’re two separate leagues. Tragic story.

• Josh | February 27, 2007 at 11:26 am |

Also, if you want to simulate the effect of the “gloveless” baseball drills, be it for infielders or catchers without purchasing fancy equipment, just take a table tennis paddle, saw off the handle, and affix a batting glove to it. It is a great way to teach kids to use two hands when fielding, blocking, or turning the DP.

• LunchBox | February 27, 2007 at 11:27 am |

[quote comment=”57447″]So it looks like the Blue Jays will join the list of teams with the new style air flow vent helmets. Check out Vernon sporting one in spring training[/quote]

Same with the Rox.

• Mike | February 27, 2007 at 11:29 am |

• Gage | February 27, 2007 at 11:30 am |

Also, when I played baseball we used the paddle for outfield catching drills. It taught you to always use two hands, since it seems that is often forgotten in high school and some college. It was difficult, but was effective, too.

• jt | February 27, 2007 at 11:34 am |

anyone yet heard or seen the gators new jerseys. they are supposed to be released today.

• Robert | February 27, 2007 at 11:40 am |

That Cooliris feature for Firefox is really, uh, cool. Thanks for the heads up.

• roboto | February 27, 2007 at 11:46 am |

One the Nike Sleeves…

More sleeve cutting will occur if a pitcher attempts to wear them.

The rule is that the sleeve color must be of ONE color that is either contrasting or of the same color as the jersey as long as it is NOT white.

As a high school umpire we had incedents with the “pox” sleeves last year. I didn’t have any major problems, but fellow umpire issued an ejection in one incedent.

• Paul Lukas | February 27, 2007 at 11:47 am |

[quote comment=”57471″]For all of you Firefox users, there is a great plugin for reading the Uniwatch blog comments. It is called Cooliris and it allows you to hover over a link to see it without actually opening a new window. When you move your mouse off of it, it disappears. It can easily be disabled as well. Saves a lot of time for something so simple. You can get it here.[/quote]

We hope to add a feature to the site soon (maybe this week) that will allow the same thing for everyone, not just for Firefox users.

• Alex | February 27, 2007 at 11:48 am |

Ah yes. Uniwatch back. Spring training games about to start. All things are right with the world.[/quote]

amazing….another reason to love Firefox

• Harry | February 27, 2007 at 11:50 am |

Lehman College Softball Team has cool striped socks

• Metsfan AZ | February 27, 2007 at 11:51 am |

[quote comment=”57468″]anyone have a picture of the new unis that some teams will wear in the NCAA basketball tourney?

here’s a link to discussion of it:

form fitting? sounds like Australian women’s basketball-ish

• The Ol Goaler | February 27, 2007 at 11:51 am |

[quote comment=”57435″]With the high school official scorer wearing the stripes, I know in Iowa (where I played) in the regular season the scorer could wear whatever they wanted, but then when it came to tournament time, they had to wear the stripes. And I do remember seeing some of the scorers don the stripes for every game, maybe it made them feel more important or something.[/quote]
    Nah… the reason for the scorer’s uni is much simpler… it’s so the players can find the official scorer when they “check in” to the game! As a radio play-by-play guy, I’ve often sat at the scorer’s table. It never fails to amaze me just how many kids want to “check in” with a guy wearing a shirt, a tie, and a headset! ;-)

• justin | February 27, 2007 at 11:52 am |

Matybe he’s your favorite, but Shaun Green and Kevin Youkilis (to name just 2) are possibly a little more popular with the majority.[/quote]

I thought I read somewhere that Youkilis isn’t actually Jewish…

• Allison | February 27, 2007 at 11:55 am |

Here in Iowa, the official scorer can wear whatever they want for a regular season high school game–I did it last year for all of my school’s home boys and girls Varsity, JV, Sophomore, and Freshman games. During regional play, when individual schools host games, the official scorer can still wear whatever they want. Once games advance to the State Tournament, scoring is done by someone who is part of the official referee crew and they wear the stripes.

In the NCAA the scorer always wears the stripes. I’m at a Big 12 school and notice that our official score has to wear a black Big 12 sweater vest over his stripes. I guess technically the stripes still show on the sleeves, but I’ve wondered how the Big 12 gets away with it.

On the Nike sleeves, I like ’em! Surprised me too! I too was annoyed by Edmonds’ windbreaker outfit last year (but hey, we won the Series with it, can’t be too bad), but I think that’s only because it added a bulkiness look to him. With the sleeves there’s no extra bulk or baggage. It looks better.

• Matt from L.A. | February 27, 2007 at 11:58 am |

I work at the scorers table at an NAIA school. Our official book is required to wear the stripes. She hates it but has to do it.

• Tony The Tiger | February 27, 2007 at 11:58 am |

not sports related, but …

How do you know when you’ve become addicted to this website?

When you look at your work uniform as home, away, alternate, and sunday.

I work for Sears and we are given a list of uniform combinations we can wear in the current dress color code (black/white/khaki)

So in my closet, I have:

Home – black dress shirt, black dress pants
    Away – white dress shirt, black dress pants
    Alt – white dress shirt, khaki pants
    Sunday – white dress shirt, black sweater vest, black dress pants.

I know its dorky. I can’t imagine how many people are laughing at this comment right now. But my question is, how many of you guys do this same thing? I can’t possibly be alone!

• Richard | February 27, 2007 at 12:02 pm |

I thought I read somewhere that Youkilis isn’t actually Jewish…[/quote]

The almanac still has him as Jewish, and I believe he has mentioned it.

• Kenny | February 27, 2007 at 12:09 pm |

[quote comment=”57436″]Just a quick observation from one of the Frozen Four photos. My understanding was that the NCAA does not allow football players to wear bandanas under their helmets (because of gang connotations??) but the goalie in this photo is wearing one. Is there a double standard for hockey players?[/quote]

It’s not because of gang connotations…it has to do with safety. The helmet is more likely to slide either up, down, left or right during collisions

I’m not sure about the rules in NCAA hockey, but it still is a skills competition and I’m sure there is not a lot of smash mouth hitting going on

• Richard | February 27, 2007 at 12:19 pm |

GREAT NEW PROMOTION

Lowell Spinners Step Stool Giveaway Night!

• justin | February 27, 2007 at 12:26 pm |

I thought I read somewhere that Youkilis isn’t actually Jewish…[/quote]

The almanac still has him as Jewish, and I believe he has mentioned it.[/quote]

“Heroes of the past such as Greenberg and Koufax were just that, not relevant to a kid looking for inspiration from current stars. Today, however, Jewish players, some current and former MLB All-Stars, pepper the baseball landscape. Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Shawn Green is one of the more promising power-hitters in the game, while Brad Ausmus and Mike Lieberthal have established themselves as franchise catchers for the Houston Astros and Philadelphia Phillies, respectively. Atlanta Braves pitcher Jason Marquis, Anaheim Angels lefthander Scott Schoeneweis, and outfielder and recent Red Sox acquisition Gabe Kapler round out a solid core of up-and-coming Jewish major leaguers.”

I found that on a website regarding Jewish players.

• justin | February 27, 2007 at 12:27 pm |

[quote comment=”57496″][quote comment=”57493″][quote comment=”57488″][quote comment=”57469″][quote comment=”57453″]Jason Marquis, our favorite Jewish Boy in MLB, has worn no. 21 since Little League (his birthday is 8/21, probably the reason he picked it). “Quister” signed a $21 million, 3 yr contract with the Ever Hideous, so he must like the number. “No. 21 has been my number since I was a kid, so I don’t look at it any other way than that’s the number I’ve worn my whole life,” Marquis said. “To me, it’s a number on your back. I enjoy wearing it, and it doesn’t make any difference to me who wore it before me or who’s going to wear it after me.”[/quote]

I thought I read somewhere that Youkilis isn’t actually Jewish…[/quote]

The almanac still has him as Jewish, and I believe he has mentioned it.[/quote]

I found that on a website regarding Jewish players.

That’s not the first, nor the last time, that I rememebered something incorrectly.[/quote]

I forgot to mention that the article was about Youkilis and other Jewish baseball stars, not just Jewish players in general.

• Michael James | February 27, 2007 at 12:30 pm |

Before the game was cancelled, Chris Siewart took the time to enjoy the weather

• BuckeyeMark | February 27, 2007 at 12:43 pm |

the cool iris thing is incredible. if you’re not using firefox it’s a reason to start. if you are, just try it and you’ll be hooked. makes reading uni watch so easy. thanks to those who pointed it out. it’s greatness!

• Minna H. | February 27, 2007 at 12:50 pm |

Ahhhh, life is good again. We are up and running and talking about unis.

To my surprise, I like the short-sleeved undershirts, though not the long-sleeved ones. Much to my surprise, I also like this year’s Frozen Four unis. Way to go, Nike!

• Pittsburgh Gunny | February 27, 2007 at 1:01 pm |

[quote comment=”57502″]However, I do not like the pink ref unis. Once again, there is no pink in sports![/quote]
    Please do not tell Palermo that there is no pink in sport. :)

• Dane | February 27, 2007 at 1:04 pm |

I worked the table for a D-III basketball team, and I was supposed to wear the stripes when I was the official book.

I also recommend the Firefox Showcase, which allows you to see thumbnails of all pages currently tabbed.

• Kieran K. | February 27, 2007 at 1:10 pm |

Not really uni-related, but I thought it was pretty interesting.

Someone at Topps superimposed George W. Bush and Mickey Mantle into a Derek Jeter card. It’s pretty funny that something like this can make it through all the way to production.

• Kieran K. | February 27, 2007 at 1:11 pm |

here’s the link:

• Burrill | February 27, 2007 at 1:12 pm |

I guess your dislike of pink in sports unis overtakes your love for black in sports unis.

• Matthew S. | February 27, 2007 at 1:21 pm |

I’ve never heard that before, but Nike skullcaps have been pretty popular amongst college football players for a couple of years now; e.g. Vince Young at the Rose Bowl in 2006: http://mackbrown-tex...

Has anyone noticed that the security code is now gone?

• Evan | February 27, 2007 at 1:25 pm |

[quote comment=”57506″]here’s the link:

• bj in gainesville | February 27, 2007 at 1:28 pm |

regarding the WIFL tragedy: is it normal to resume play following an on-field death? seriously?

a 25 minute “delay” and then play resumes? not my idea of classy.

• Matthew S. | February 27, 2007 at 1:34 pm |

[quote comment=”57448″]I am disappointed the Pirates have not jumped on the new Nike undershirts. I have to admit, I actually bought the long sleeve dot shirt last year, but have not worn it about…..my tummy is just a wee too big to pull it off by itself…It definately needs to be worn with a vest.[/quote]

Be careful what you wish for, those mid arm spots on the new Nike undershirts could match the red of the new vests the Pirates just introduced a week or two ago.

I’m with Robert on this, why do we have to put things on long sleeves? What’s wrong with this look: http://www.sportshol...

• Chad G | February 27, 2007 at 2:03 pm |

Before the game was cancelled, Chris Siewart took the time to enjoy the weather[/quote]

• Mark Mihalik | February 27, 2007 at 2:09 pm |

[quote comment=”57513″][quote comment=”57498″]This is just an excuse to post kind of a neat photo, but a snowstorm in Reno cancelled a college game between Buffalo and Nevada-Reno.

Huh, anyone else notice that the glove laying next to that Nevada player has the Gold Rawlings label? I thought Rawlings only made those for major leaguers who have won a gold glove. I wonder why he has one.[/quote]

Anyone can get one of those now… they’re part of Rawlings’ 50th Anniversary special edition gloves. Here’s one at Eastbay

In other news, a scary sight in baseball: Juan Pierre with long pants.

• Pat | February 27, 2007 at 2:12 pm |

Not really uni-related, but Coke is redesigning their cans. I like it.

• Paul Lukas | February 27, 2007 at 2:23 pm |

[quote comment=”57514″]a scary sight in baseball: Juan Pierre with long pants.[/quote]

Jim Thome, too.

Not unusual for these guys to do this in spring training. I have faith that they’ll get with the program when the games count.

• James Craven | February 27, 2007 at 2:42 pm |

And once again, Nike provides us with craptascular stuff. The white in Detroit, ChiSox and LaLa Land will likely be banned due to being a distraction to batters and fielders.

• Joey Guns | February 27, 2007 at 2:50 pm |

[quote comment=”57509″][quote comment=”57506″]here’s the link:

Holy crap! I saw that on Page 2 and thought it was something the ESPN guys put together. That’s hilarious.[/quote]

That card has already hit production. Starting yesterday, Ebay was flodded with those cards. Some auctions only ended at $5 or $10 yesterday, but now today, they’re in the hundreds.

Pretty similar to the Alex Gordon “goof” by Topps last year. Coincidence???

• Lexie | February 27, 2007 at 3:01 pm |

I agree with you. The other day I was at my little sister’s basketball game. We were all there watching a bunch of 11-12 year old girls run around the court. The next team showed up to get ready for their game and I hear a squeal from my 18 year old sister. “Oh how cute…their outfits are pink”. I turned and looked at my sister in disgust. “First off they are uniforms or jerseys…not outfits, and second…unis should NEVER be pink” She looked at me like I was crazy and an insult to the female sex…oh well.

• DA STUBZ | February 27, 2007 at 3:05 pm |

• Matthew S. | February 27, 2007 at 3:13 pm |

[quote comment=”57521″]Those skills competition jerseys have an awful lot of Nike logos on ’em. I counted six. Two on the sockx, one on the shorts, two on the gloves and one on the chest.[/quote]

Swooshes on each of their hockey sticks too (small green and black stickers on each).

• Zach | February 27, 2007 at 3:24 pm |

Hey all, got an update from Titletown, i mean Gainesville Florida…

Tonight at 9 ET the Gators play Tennessee in Knoxville, and theyll be sporting some new threads.

I was just at the bookstore, and they just released what theyll look like… pretty much, if you havent seen any pictures, its a really light dri fit like material which has the print of gator skin in blue… no stripes on the side, or shoulders. The font and numbers are still the same. Across the back about half of the jersey for some reason, turns to mesh, its just about where the numbers are on the jersey. The shorts are the same as the Jerseys with the gator skin, and mesh on the back… i personally find the no stripes thing a little odd… ill try to find a picture of the jerseys to post to you all…

• Kyle at IU | February 27, 2007 at 3:35 pm |

wow…that florida jersey sounds awful…

How does Bucky the Badger always seem to find the ladies? I remember when Wisconsin played us in football (read: kicked our asses royally in football), that guy just couldn’t stay away from our dance team.

• Kerry | February 27, 2007 at 3:46 pm |

[quote comment=”57475″]AFL Unis can indeed be hit or miss. I know this one is not very popular with some on the site but I am still a VooDoo fan….[/quote]
    LOVE the Voodoo unis, colors and ESPECIALLY the LOGO!!! In my opinion, one of the BEST logos in the AFL.

• Mike | February 27, 2007 at 3:56 pm |

quote]

[/quote]

I never considered they woud use red on those shirts……horrible………just horrible…

• Matthew S. | February 27, 2007 at 4:44 pm |

[quote comment=”57527″]quote]

[/quote]

I never considered they woud use red on those shirts……horrible………just horrible…[/quote]

It almost seems like red is starting to become the new black in baseball uniforms. Teams with previously little or no attachment to the color are either incorporating red into their color schemes and uniforms (like the Pirates) or are increasing the occurence of red in preexisting uniforms (like the Astros, Reds, Braves, and Red Sox alternates, over the past 5-6 years).

• Brian D J | February 27, 2007 at 4:49 pm |

[quote comment=”57518″][quote comment=”57509″][quote comment=”57506″]here’s the link:

That card has already hit production.

Pretty similar to the Alex Gordon “goof” by Topps last year.

Coincidence???

Topps Has Already said that this will not be corrected nor pulled from production. Whomever pays more than a couple bucks for the card is an idiot

• BA | February 27, 2007 at 4:50 pm |

Tommy needs to mix in a new belt ASAP!

• Minna H. | February 27, 2007 at 5:00 pm |

Jeter card:

Topps says they could have stopped it pre-production, but found it hilarious.

• Minna H. | February 27, 2007 at 5:03 pm |

[quote comment=”57507″]Minna, I thought the pink ref unis would cause you to be conflicted. After all, they’re both pink and black.

Just out of curiosity, what would happen to you if Troy P. was spotted wearing pink?[/quote]

Burrill, I hate pink period. Black alleviates the pain an iota, but not enough to give pink a free ride, nor cause me a to pause for a second before denouncing the duds.

As for Troy in pink–he can wear whatever he wants or nothing at all. He has a lifetime exemption to my pink ban.

• jesse | February 27, 2007 at 5:06 pm |

[quote comment=”57527″]quote]

[/quote]

I started this quote to completely rail on the Pirates use of red, even though I think it would be neat if they ever got it right.

The Pirates have been trying to incorporate red as a third color for better than a decade generally with unsatisfactory results. Like I said, in theory, I don’t mind it, but the actual practice has always been a bit rough, and I have never been able to picture a uniform scenario that would look good. Upon first inspection red vest is bad, but when I looked at it again, I did not hate it as much as I thought. The worst part about the batting practice hat is the outline around the “P”. I actually kind of like the way the semi-circle of the hat, matches to the brim of the cap. It is tough to tell from this picture but imagine if there were a red drop shadow on the “p” the underline on the brim and the side panel were red, and the stretch cloth under the side panel strip was black. I think that might look pretty sharp.

• Lianda | February 27, 2007 at 5:18 pm |
  • Metsfan AZ | February 27, 2007 at 5:23 pm |

[quote comment=”57531″]Tommy needs to mix in a new belt ASAP![/quote]
    He needs to go Francona at bare minimum. What happened to his slim fast contract?

• Jason | February 27, 2007 at 5:31 pm |

[quote comment=”57427″]Scorers generally wear stripes if they’re operating the clock, otherwise not.[/quote]
    Actually, you’ve got it reversed. The NFHS and NCAA books recommend that the official scorer, and no one else at the table, where a striped shirt. This makes it easy for the on-court officials to find him in the crowd when reporting fouls.

• Kyle O | February 27, 2007 at 5:33 pm |

In the same vein as last week’s Nascar post, there is a link up on snopes that discusses why green is considered a bad luck color in auto racing. The article also mentions that Mario Andretti’s green chromophobia is so accute that it causes him to refuse to sign autographs in green ink

• Amy | February 27, 2007 at 5:34 pm |

Post #92 is I think why there used to be a security code on the old site – blog comment spamming.

• Danny | February 27, 2007 at 5:47 pm |

[quote comment=”57531″]Tommy needs to mix in a new belt ASAP![/quote]
    Is it me or is the middle person in the background (Gonzo?) wearing fake stirrup socks in the Tommy Lasorda picture?

• Buckeye Mike | February 27, 2007 at 5:50 pm |

damn people like the one on 92 going to ruin it for all of us.

• My Name is Not Earl | February 27, 2007 at 5:56 pm |

I have lost a few posts to the security code, but I would much rather go through the hassle of having to retype my posts than deal with comment spam.

• Seth | February 27, 2007 at 6:03 pm |

Logo Creep

o, and I am of the dont like the new nike sleeve. the old football patches were cool, but not the new sleeve.

• Lexie | February 27, 2007 at 6:04 pm |

[quote comment=”57533″][quote comment=”57507″]Lexie! Keep on educating about pink (and unis) one person at a time. Power to the people.[/quote]

Minna- just trying to education one person at a time. Today I walked into one of my classes and there was a girl sitting with a pink Chargers uni. I went to my normal seat in the back and brought up how crappy the pink LT uni was. The girl got up and started handing out papers so I told her “I know your from Cali but if you really wanna support your team get the baby blue uni or something. Don’t get a lame pink jersey”. She walked away a little offended. Maybe I should work on my “education” methods. I guess she couldn’t handle the truth

• Lexie | February 27, 2007 at 6:06 pm |

Dang it…screwed up the post. I was just quoting Minna…sorry.

• =bg= | February 27, 2007 at 6:18 pm |

but at least ya have that killer red jersey.

• Original Jim | February 27, 2007 at 6:18 pm |

Welcome back to blogville!

When my referee organization hosts a tournament, it has its official scorers wear the striped jerseys. I can’t remember if that’s the case during our normal state high school playoff tournament games.

But as many have mentioned, there are a few reasons. It notes that person as the official scorer, it gives the on-court officials a point of reference when reporting fouls, and lets the substitutes know whom to report to when checking in the game.

• Glenn | February 27, 2007 at 6:55 pm |

Link to photo:

How did the Lakers get to wear their white Sunday (only) home uniforms ON THE ROAD to Oakland while the Golden State Warriors wore their yellow “throwback” The City uniforms. Not much of a contrast between white and yellow. Lakers wore standard purple (er, ‘forum blue’) uni’s next day in Utah.

Sorry for duplicate post if any.

• Kyle at IU | February 27, 2007 at 7:05 pm |

Green vs. Maize (yellow) in Ann Arbor tonight. Unfortunatelya combination of the poor lighting at Crisler Arena and my little TV makes MSU’s unis look almost black

• bj in gainesville | February 27, 2007 at 7:09 pm |

in case anyone wants a pre-view of the blue gator print that will be on the UF jerseys tonight, here you go:

• Minna H. | February 27, 2007 at 8:07 pm |

[quote comment=”57546″]Dang it…screwed up the post. I was just quoting Minna…sorry.[/quote]

Lexie, she shouldn’t hate the messenger. Yeah, you could be a bit more diplomatic, but the truth is the truth: pink replicas look stupid to real fans.

• Allison | February 27, 2007 at 8:27 pm |

YES! The red is back! I don’t remember if this is frowned upon here on UniWatch…but as a Cardinals fan I love Speez’s red!

• TIM | February 27, 2007 at 9:08 pm |

Michigan and Michigan State going color vs. color tonight.

• Kyle at IU | February 27, 2007 at 9:22 pm |

I really can’t see the difference in florida’s uniforms. Can someone with HDTV help me out with this?

Big ups to Pat Summit, her cheerleader uniform, and her rendition on “Rocky Top”.

• Jay | February 27, 2007 at 9:32 pm |

the Nashville Predators have unveiled a new logo to commemorate their 10th season next year. It will be used for promotional purposes, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it wound up as a jersey patch as well. You can view the logo here:

• Chris | February 27, 2007 at 9:32 pm |

I like the Florida Jerseys. I just got a glimpse of the gator pattern, it is a little odd, but pretty minor. The number typography is great.

Good night for my Wolverines! Though I can’t say the Maize is our best look. The White uniforms and the blue uniforms are very classic and gorgeous.

• Zach | February 27, 2007 at 9:32 pm |

yeah its hard to see the gator skin on normal tv… pretty much the stripes on the sides ands houlders are gone, and in the back down the center theres mesh instead of the dri-fit that the rest of the jersey is. same goes for the shorts… i saw them in person today.

• Zach | February 27, 2007 at 9:34 pm |

oh and those 2 weird orange things on the back shoulders are new too.

• andrew | February 27, 2007 at 9:40 pm |

• J at The Dundies | February 27, 2007 at 10:23 pm |

[quote comment=”57560″]i heard ohio state and UNC will be wearing new unis for the tournament similar to florida’s. anybody heard about or seen these???[/quote]

How would OSU do it? Buckeye skin?

• Gibby | February 27, 2007 at 10:26 pm |

• Kyle | February 27, 2007 at 10:34 pm |

How will Florida wear these during the tournament? They will probably be a #1 seed according to most experts. Doesn’t the higher seed always wear WHITE during the NCAA tournament? Does Florida have a white jersey like the blue one they wore tonight?

• Mike Miller | February 27, 2007 at 10:41 pm |

[quote comment=”57443″]Not to make the comments today entirely Pro-Nike, but I have to admit that it seems Nike did a great job on the Frozen Four uniforms last year and again this year. They look classic and understated, a real change from most All-Star/Special Edition uniforms.

My only beef is with the stupid Pontiac logo on the upper left shoulder.

Obviously they are a sponsor, but what’s that all about? I don’t think that their logo should be on the uniforms.[/quote]

Yeah, I wondered why they weren’t just wearing team uniforms for a skills competition, I don’t think there is a game involved. But Nike and Pontiac, one of the NCAA’s corporate champions, are footing the bill for the whole concept, so they got to get something out of it.

That Pontiac logo is pretty small and tastefully done though. I would guess that only a small percentage of fans that weren’t UniWatch freaks like us would even notice it.

• My Name is Not Earl | February 27, 2007 at 10:43 pm |

Speaking of white vs. gold and the NCAA tournament, I think one year when Valparaiso made it to the second round of the tournament, they had to wear their home whites because the team they were playing wore gold at home, and Valpo only had a white home jersey and a gold road jersey. I’ve seen white vs. gold games quite a bit in college, and I’ve never liked it.

Speaking of gold, does anyone have a picture of those classic gold-on-gold Florida State baseball uniforms from the 1980s?

• CollinJ | February 27, 2007 at 10:50 pm |

When did shorts turn in to capri pants? I don’t think I’ve ever seen short as long as Florida’s. With all the new fabrics used to aid mobility, don’t the shorts look like a step in the wrong direction?

• Zach | February 27, 2007 at 11:17 pm |

the Gators also have White and Black jerseys in the style of the jerseys they wore tonight as well. So i guess its expected that theyll be wearing these jerseys the rest of the season/in the tournament.

• Minna H. | February 27, 2007 at 11:22 pm |

• Madd Matt | February 27, 2007 at 11:28 pm |

The new gator unis will be canned cause they lost, watch…

but, I liked the tops, other than the small orange piece on the back, the shorts were weak….

can’t wa it to see the carolina/ohio st ones…

• Mattthew S. | February 27, 2007 at 11:34 pm |

*Mumbles under her breath*, “I LIKE the old Coyote unis….”, then waits to get flamed.[/quote]

I cast thee out! Just kidding Minna. There’s nothing wrong with liking uniforms that have been roundly panned by others. I love the Astros late 70s and early 80s uniforms and I know I’m in the minority there: http://www.baseballh...

• Matt | February 28, 2007 at 12:23 am |

I know I’m way late on the whole ‘paddle’ glove thread, but for those of you that are still reading/interested I’ve used two variations — one in high school along the lines of the ping pong paddle but it was just plywood cut out in a circle a little bigger than your hand with some rope loops on back for your fingers. The other, which I absolutely loved as a college middle infielder, was called the “goofy glove” — the idea was to get a used glove — from a garage sale or the equivalent, the smaller the better, and cut the webbing out. We would play catch, take infield, practice turing two, etc. with those regularly not just to practice fielding the ball with two hands but also to be sure that you were using the palm of your hand to receive the ball, not the web where it can get lost and harder to fish out. You catch on pretty quick to proper technique with no web on the glove.

• Minna H. | February 28, 2007 at 12:28 am |

[quote comment=”57571″][quote comment=”57569″][quote comment=”57562″] Luckily, the Coyotes decided not to wear ‘retro’ jerseys.[/quote]

To be honest though, I really can’t see what you like in the all black uniforms that several NFL teams brought out this past year. Which reminds me, Gregg Easterbrook referred to the Seahawks today as the Seattle Picts due to their all bluish (or are they seafoam?) uniforms. Funny stuff for us former history students.[/quote]

Matthew, I like black. There was a time in my life when all I wore was black. I think everything (well, almost) looks better in black. Black is sleek, powerful and lethal. I have no idea why I like the old Coyote unis as they are not black, but I do. I don’t mind being cast out; it won’t stop me from posting.

I looked up the Picts. They were much more decorative than the Seahawks.

• Billy B. | February 28, 2007 at 7:32 am |

I think we are going to need the security code again. These spam comments aren’t worth it. I’d much rather have the security code than read the spam comments.

• Dane | February 28, 2007 at 8:51 am |

I still wear my “old school” Khabibulin authentic any chance I get. Always get at least one inquiry as to whether I am Russian. Odd.

• Kim | February 28, 2007 at 9:11 am |

[quote comment=”57562″]NHL note: Mark Messier jersey retirement ceremony took place tonight. Similarly to previous ceremonies in Edmonton, Messier came out in full gear with the old Oilers jerseys and skated around the ice with the Stanley Cup. His retro jerseys featured a jersey patch and the standard Reebok logos (he was also wearing the standard blue on blue undershirt we’ve all come to know). Oddly enough, Messier’s son was also wearing his dad’s jersey, but his has a CCM logo instead.

The rest of the Oilers are also wearing retro jerseys with matching helmets and pant shells. Unfortunately, the gloves and goalie pads don’t match. Luckily, the Coyotes decided not to wear ‘retro’ jerseys.[/quote]

The RBK logo is only on the pro jerseys (heavy stitching/fight strap, etc). Replica jerseys have the CCM logo.

The little Mess’ was wearing a replica, since I doubt they make pro jerseys that small (at least since the likes of Theo Fleury, and Darren Pang have left the league).

• Swine the Mad | February 28, 2007 at 1:19 pm |

The Georgia High School Association mandated that all official (home) scorers and timekeepers must wear the zebra stripes this year.

The only time I had ever seen it required in previous years was during the state tournament.

• Denis | February 28, 2007 at 8:43 pm |

The reason the player is wearing a bandanda is because she is a female. Tons of women hockey players wear them to keep their hair back

• Jake | February 28, 2007 at 9:46 pm |

I am a former SID from Marshall University. Our retired baseball coach, Jack Cook, was the official scorer for men’s basketball for some 30+ years or so and stayed on for atleast 15 years after he retired from baseball. He wore a referee uniform for every game. When he finally stepped down from being the official scorer, the Marshall Sports Information Department retired his jersey, had it framed with a plaque and hung in the Media Room.