North by Northwest Redux

northwest.gif

We have a lot of ground to cover today, boys and girls, so let’s get crackin’…

I’ve written several times in the past about sports historian Dave Eskenazi and his amazing photo archive documenting the baseball history of the Pacific Northwest. He’s promised to contribute occasional dispatches, the latest of which arrived in my in-box a few days ago:

The Class D Western Tri State League existed from 1912 to 1914. The three states represented were Washington, Oregon, and Idaho, and franchises included the Boise Irrigators, Walla Walla (Washington) Bears, Pendleton (Oregon) Buckaroos, LaGrande (Oregon) Pippins/Spuds, Baker City (Oregon) Golddiggers/Miners, and North Yakima (Washington) Braves.

This scan shows three players from the 1913 LaGrande team [here’s a larger view], including Northwest baseball lifer Karl “Junk” Walters (upper left). Love that “L A G” in the triangle. Here’s another cool pic of Walters, as a Walla Walla Bear.

The second two scans are of the 1913 North Yakima Braves. Note the apple on the breast, the “Y” on the sleeve [looks like a truncated version of the Detroit Tigers’ “D” — PL], and “Yakima” down the placket.

Big thanks to Dave for continuing to share his vast visual database with the Uni Watch community.

Meanwhile, speaking of the northwest, reader Andy Head has discovered a web site devoted to the history of hockey in Seattle. Here’s his report:

As a Seattle-area hockey fan who would love to see an NHL franchise come to town someday, I found this site fascinating, and you’ve got to appreciate some of the pictures. First off, there’s the guy’s personal collection of jerseys. I think this old Totems jersey [note the similarity to the NFL Seahawks’ logo — PL] has got to be my favorite [I prefer this one — PL]. There’s also an equipment page, some pins and patches, and of course some great vintage photos — dig the stripeage on the 1929 Seattle Eskimos!

Trust me, the more time you spend poking around on this site, the more great stuff you find, from old ticket stubs and press passes to game-used sticks, player profiles, team histories, all kinds of stuff. Hope you find it as cool as I do.

Indeed. Andy didn’t even mention the assorted programs, schedules, and related arcana. Great site.

And as long as we’re doing the northwest thing: As you all know by now, the Flaming Ducks did their thing last night. The big surprise was that there was a little “O” on the back of the helmet — whoa, talk about edgy. At the end of the day, the helmet didn’t look any worse than the rest of the uni (a point implicitly made in this article, pointed out to me by Mark Snider). Can we all please move on now?

–––––––––

ITEM! Major Lone Star Find: Two days ago I ran some great photos from the Texas A&M archive. But it turns out that the real treasure is at Texas Tech, where Ben Veazey has turned up a couple of 1938 pics of what just might be the greatest football uniform I’ve ever seen. Check it out here, here, and here.

Man, even with the watermarks, those unis are something special. The sleeve stripes, the interior sleeve and torso panels, the cuff stripes (!), the thicker white-bordered stripe within the hoop-striped socks — I’d give anything to see these babies in color.

–––––––––

seibu-94-series.jpg

Prodigal Jeremy: Uni Watch Far Eastern bureau chief Jeremy Brahm has been busy lately, but he checked in yesterday with a bunch of pics from his archives. Here’s his rundown:

• During the 1991 Japanese All-Star game, Hideo Nomo of the Kintetsu Buffaloes had to bat (the Pacific League uses the DH) and borrowed a helmet from an Orix Blue Wave player. Strangely, in 2005, Buffaloes’ players would be wearing Orix on their uniforms because of a merger between Orix and Kintetsu.

• A picture of shoe striping matching the uniform colors. This was in a 1994 issue of Sports Illustrated, which covered the 1994 Japan Series (there was no World Series due to the strike).

• Dan Gladden helped the Yomiuri Giants win the 1994 Japan Series, but look at his shoes — they have a stylized “G” for Giants. Here’s another player with the same motif. Yomiuri was the only team with this design.

• Here’s a picture of the 1935 Yomiuri Giants with kanji pictographs on their uniforms. The numbers, from the left: 3, 10, 1, 2, 14, 13.

• The Chunichi Dragons started their season in 1948 with the Japanese pronunciation of the team name — Do-ra-gons — on their jerseys. However, when an American serviceman saw the spelling, he pointed it out and the uniform was changed to “Dragons” a month into the season.

• In 1982-83, the Yomiuri Giants’ Tadashi Matsumoto led the Central League in steals and the team decided that they wanted to give him an easy-to-work-in uniform. The top and bottom were linked, kind of like a unitard. It was even called a new revolution for uniforms. However, there were no other players even mentioned for this type of uniform, other than Matsumoto. It was later found to be hard to take off only the top, and that was main reason for its demise.

And for good measure, Jeremy also tossed in two Japanese football photos. Dig the helmets worn by the Mycal Bears and the Omron Seagulls — amazing stuff.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Fascinating logo creep story involving the TV show 60 Minutes — look here (with thanks to Alex Gordon). … Extra-special thanks to Benjamin Sonnet, who sent me a really cool Xmas gift. … “Is Lebron James showing support for AI?” asks Dave Sterling. … Speaking of Iverson, there’s a great video clip here that shows his Nuggets jersey being lettered and stitched up, and some still pics are available here, here, here, and here. … SI.com’s “Year’s Most Interesting Sports Photos” gallery features some uni-related items of note, including this amazing shot of the Japanese women’s field hockey team (whose roster apparently includes Hannibal Lecter), and a mud-caked shot for the ages (note that the swoosh appears to be mud-resistant). … Here‘s the best information I’ve seen so far on the new NHL unis (with thanks to Eric van der Burght). … Amazing photo here of the 1901 Denison University basketball team (nice find by Craig Hicks). … You Can’t Make This Stuff Up Dept.: Check out the name of the UK’s Chief of Defence Staff (great catch by Todd Davis). … Matt Zegarski reports that Villanova has begun wearing a black “11” memorial patch in honor of the late Paul Arizin. No photos yet. … Bizarre scene the other night in Milwaukee, as Blain Fowler explains: “Oakland center Shawn Hopes picked Oakland’s uniforms for their game against Marquette. In an effort to try to change Oakland’s luck (team had lost three in a row on the road, including losses to Arkansas and UCLA), he chose to mix and match their two road options, pairing black jerseys with gold shorts. It made for an appealingly ugly result.” … When an MLB player signs with a new team, he usually just puts on a jersey for his photo op. But Bryan Redemske notes that Jason Jennings put on an entire Astros uni — and even threw a pitch — when joining the team earlier this week. … A reader who prefers to remain anonymous notes that the captain’s “C” on Mo Williams’s jersey has been much larger in recent games than the one worn by Michael Redd. “Mo had a small ‘C’ earlier this season,” notes our mystery reporter. “But after Wednesday’s game he took off his jersey and threw it in the crowd, and it wasn’t the first time he’s done this. I’m wondering if they ran out of little ‘C’s because he does it so often.” … Latest racer-backed women’s hoops team: Colorado State (as spotted by Bryan Redemske).

Holiday Schedule: I’ll probably post a real entry at some point during the three-day weekend, most likely on Sunday. Happy holidaze to all, and my deepest sympathies to anyone who has to travel via Denver.

162 comments to North by Northwest Redux

• WVU Tom | December 22, 2006 at 8:54 am |

Hard to tell in black and white, but to me those Texas Tech unis look awfully busy with those crazy sleeve patterns and rectangular boxes all over the place. I’d love to see it in color before I make any real judgment though.

(I can see, however, where Paul would love the socks!)

• Sammy44 | December 22, 2006 at 9:01 am |

Oakland’s uniforms remind me of the was we used to look in junior high basketball. We only had one pair of uniform shorts that where the color of our road jersey (orange) and it would look really stupid when you played at home with the white jersey.

When a college with a $1 million budget reminds you of your junior high team then you know you have uni problems.

• Chris | December 22, 2006 at 9:02 am |

Is it me or do those Racers look REALLY good on women’s basketball players?

• WVU Tom | December 22, 2006 at 9:02 am |

Oh, and I find this pic strange for non-uni related reasons–I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone bat like this before. From the waist down, I would swear that this player was winding up preparing to throw a pitch. Perhaps this is the “crane technique” of batting?

• austin | December 22, 2006 at 9:03 am |

those pictures from the Western Tri State League are awesome.

• WVU Tom | December 22, 2006 at 9:05 am |

Not just you

• wooster, oh | December 22, 2006 at 9:11 am |

Paul,
    I think those sleeve stripes on the Texas Tech jerseys are are more than that. As they head up the arm into the shoulder panels they form the letter ‘T’ on each side..perhaps because they are Texas Tech.

• scott | December 22, 2006 at 9:14 am |

[quote comment=”32373″][quote comment=”32370″]Is it me or do those Racers look REALLY good on women’s basketball players?[/quote]

Not just you[/quote]

Yes, the racer back is real nice. Those UCONN unis look great for girls’ unis too.

Did anybody catch the Misssouri v. Illinois game the another night? My mom and dad thought it looked like the Illini were wearing bowties!

Please bring back the piping on Men’s unis! No piping is seriously for girls’ unis. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

• josh | December 22, 2006 at 9:24 am |

Speaking of big C’s:

Scroll down to the third pic.

• dilbert719 | December 22, 2006 at 9:24 am |

OK, too many things I want to comment on.

First, the Iverson jerseys look so farking weird. (having lived in Philly all my life, I’m exceedingly used to AI on the Sixers) I’m sure I’ll get used to it, but it looks wrong on many levels.

Mud-caked: Get that poor man a hose or a bucket of water or something!

The Green Totems jersey reminds me of the Whalers, so I’m love-loving it. And while we’re on the subject, bring the Whalers, Jets, and Nordiques back, Bettman!

Texas Tech: Those actually look futuristic, and they’re substantially older than my parents. Creepy. But cool. Anyways, if they canned the watermark spots (which make them look, depending on the picture, like either hoboes or crash test dummies) and enlarged the numbers, those would be fantastic jerseys. I very much like.

All of those Japanese jerseys are amazing, especially the shoe striping one, and the Omron Seagulls. Wow. Blue Men Group, take note! This should be your model.

I really liked what Oakland did there (except that two-tone unies need to have names above letter.) It’s like an inverse Wizards, a jersey combo that, once I got past the initial weird, am coming to think is fantastic. (Though the Wiz need to bite the bullet, add more black stripe to the back, drop the white stripe down, and put the names on the white stripe, since it’s otherwise impossible to draw any attention to the players’ names.)

Oregon: to steal a phrase from elsewhere on the net: Kill it. Kill it with LSD Yellow fire. All of it. Speaking of taking cues from other jerseys, please, Oregon, I beg you, take cues from somewhere else. Anywhere else. Hell, even the Blue Men Group or Falcons if you must. But KILL THOSE UNIFORMS.

And last, Jock Splitter. Holy freaking wow. That’s got to be a first ballot inductee into the Macho Name Hall of Fame, right up there with Dick Armey.

• Banker Bill | December 22, 2006 at 9:25 am |

Holy Cow – that’s my hometown paper and I didn’t even see that – guess because I don’t get home delivery, and I usually read the Daily News online.

• josh | December 22, 2006 at 9:25 am |

• dilbert719 | December 22, 2006 at 9:25 am |

Only make that Jock Stirrup. Typing doesn’t work well early in the morning, especially after all that other stuff.

• Chris | December 22, 2006 at 9:25 am |

Those Texas Tech unis are great… maybe a throwback game is in order for a Big 12 match…

• josh | December 22, 2006 at 9:25 am |

westvirginia.scout.com/2/602732.html

damn

• jesse | December 22, 2006 at 9:27 am |

On Oregon;

• Miguel | December 22, 2006 at 9:28 am |

Can someone photoshop a racer-back jersey onto Sue Bird for Krvanch?

• Chris | December 22, 2006 at 9:28 am |

• jesse | December 22, 2006 at 9:31 am |

[quote comment=”32387″]On Oregon;

1.[/quote]

Oops.

1. I liked the logo on the back of the helmet, it is an interesting direction that I think could be used in a really neat (maybe even classy) way in another uniform.

2. Apparently Nike is now in league with HDTV folks. I don’t have it, so the diamondplate on the sholders just looked like a white shoulder patch from far away, and I never even saw the helmet flames, although I knew they were there.

• Banker Bill | December 22, 2006 at 9:32 am |

I saw two minutes of that game and all I could think of was “This is what Electric Football must have looked like for kids who sniffed glue.”

• jesse | December 22, 2006 at 9:37 am |

• Stuby | December 22, 2006 at 9:37 am |

• Metsfan AZ | December 22, 2006 at 9:39 am |

[quote comment=”32386″]westvirginia.scout.com/2/602732.html

damn[/quote]
    Minna’s gonna be disappointed…

• BtotheE | December 22, 2006 at 9:42 am |

[quote comment=”32393″]Also you have got to give BYU credit for having some of the sharpest uniforms in college football. The uniforms they wore last night are highly under rated.[/quote]
    Agreed. But then again I am a sucker for helmet stickers.

• Kel | December 22, 2006 at 9:49 am |

“Jock Stirrup”

Nice. :)

And why am I not surprised that Todd Davis found it?

The Oregon uniforms are just weird, but the helmets, well, at least they’ll be able to play night games even if the power goes out.

Happy Holidays, everybody. Be safe!

• Teebz | December 22, 2006 at 9:49 am |

From Paul’s linked article: “Now, (Kyle) McLaren is a large man. One of the NHL’s biggest, but not the biggest. So it’s kind of interesting that he says the jersey fit OK but he wouldn’t want to go any smaller. And what if he wanted to go a size bigger? … Uh, problem. There isn’t a size bigger. Apparently, in the faster, sleeker NHL, the size limit is 6-foot-5, 230 pounds.”

Does this mean they don’t have a jersey for Zdeno Chara or Derian Hatcher? With hockey players consistently getting bigger in terms of muscle mass, wouldn’t the Reebok people realize this? They do make clothing, do they not?

Also, Mark Smith had these choice words: “‘I’ll hang it right in the garbage.'”

Looks like the NHL may have a problem on its hands. This echoes the sentiments made by Nashville and Detroit players. Personally, this jersey idea should go away quietly.

• Shane | December 22, 2006 at 9:54 am |

I think I like this one better than your pick, Paul. But then again I’m a fan of diagonal lettering on hockey jerseys.

If anyone’s interested, Stall & Dean makes a pretty decent copy of the sweater that Paul had linked to.

• Kenny | December 22, 2006 at 10:15 am |

• Jim | December 22, 2006 at 10:26 am |

With regards to the mud picture, there will be three things left when the world ends:

1. Roaches
    2. Rats
    3. The Swoosh

Merry Christmas

• Shane | December 22, 2006 at 10:28 am |

[quote comment=”32389″]I know we all hate Nike on this site[/quote]

I dunno..I really like what they did with Manchester United’s home jersey this season, and the black away shirt from a few years ago.

• Jay Palmer | December 22, 2006 at 10:28 am |

Nike has nothing to do with the helmets, but i would have liked to see the green O on the side of the helmet…wasn’t a big fan of it on the back, especially when i turned the TV on and it looked like they were blank[/quote]

Oddly enough, that was different enough to be interesting to me.

The rest of the uni’s…uugghhh, not that good. K.I.S.S., words I live by.

• austin | December 22, 2006 at 10:38 am |

Nike designs the helmets.

• Anthony Verna | December 22, 2006 at 10:39 am |

Just so we don’t disappoint Minna. . .

Here you go, Minna!

[quote comment=”32395″][quote comment=”32386″]westvirginia.scout.com/2/602732.html

damn[/quote]
    Minna’s gonna be disappointed…[/quote]

• Joe Hilseberg | December 22, 2006 at 10:46 am |

Very cool movie of making the AI jersey…it broughtback memories. Like the cardboard arc the guy was using to letter the name on the back. I used to have 2 of those!

Anyway, I thought the coolest part of the still pics was looking beyond the main subject and seeing what is going on in that shop. This pic is cool because if you look at the seamstress’ thread stash, it’s all colors of the major sports teams of the area. She must just knock out the pro stuff all day. Propably the top rated sewer in the joint!

This pic is cool because you clearly see a Rockies “4” laying around, what appears to be a Diamondback’s 9, and a stock lettering box labled “3rd Jersey.” And the place is just a total mess, as are most jersey places.

This pic is cool beacuse you can clearly see that the Nuggets use “glacier twill” on their authentic’s lettering. Keep that in mind jersey collectors!

This shot is cool beause seamstress #2 is working on what appear’s to be softball shirts for Bently. And beneath them is a big old stash of Av’s jerseys. ANd then to the left on the desk you have a big piece of NFL nameplate material and on the shelves you have more thread and rolls of pant stiping. Cool stuff!

• Stuby | December 22, 2006 at 10:47 am |

[quote comment=”32409″]Just so we don’t disappoint Minna. . .

Here you go, Minna!

damn[/quote]
    Minna’s gonna be disappointed…[/quote][/quote]
    That’s way too much flair, dude.

• Joe Hilseberg | December 22, 2006 at 10:48 am |

sorry about the typos!

• Anthony Verna | December 22, 2006 at 10:52 am |

[quote comment=”32414″]sorry about the typos![/quote]

Joe, don’t worry about the typos. You noticed things while I almost started crying over my beloved 76ers.

Almost.

(I have to be strong. Only the strong survive. Or something like that.)

• wooster, oh | December 22, 2006 at 10:52 am |

1904 basketball team (notice how the jerseys have BB on them…shouldn’t people know that it’s the basketball team? (also, note the shorts):

Check out the belt: http://athletics.woo...

More belt action: http://athletics.woo...

nice socks! (and why is everyone at the game wearing glasses?):

• Metsfan AZ | December 22, 2006 at 10:54 am |

[quote comment=”32412″][quote comment=”32409″]Just so we don’t disappoint Minna. . .

Here you go, Minna!

damn[/quote]
    Minna’s gonna be disappointed…[/quote][/quote]
    That’s way too much flair, dude.[/quote]
    I like that it’s a throwback ref jersey/shirt.
    “What are you gonna do when HochuliMania runs over you!”

• Stuby | December 22, 2006 at 10:56 am |

Check out the belt: http://athletics.woo...

More belt action: http://athletics.woo...

nice socks! (and why is everyone at the game wearing glasses?):

• Anthony Verna | December 22, 2006 at 10:58 am |

(Is the Baird Bros. trophy still being awarded? Did anyone care?)

Check out the belt: http://athletics.woo...

More belt action: http://athletics.woo...

nice socks! (and why is everyone at the game wearing glasses?):

• Anthony Verna | December 22, 2006 at 10:58 am |

[quote comment=”32417″]
    I like that it’s a throwback ref jersey/shirt.
    “What are you gonna do when HochuliMania runs over you!”[/quote]

I would never post a Hochuli picture in new ref rags.

• Shane | December 22, 2006 at 10:59 am |

• Teebz | December 22, 2006 at 11:00 am |

[quote comment=”32411″]
    [/quote]

My Islanders jersey has some shimmering going on.

• wooster, oh | December 22, 2006 at 11:05 am |

Check out the belt: http://athletics.woo...

More belt action: http://athletics.woo...

nice socks! (and why is everyone at the game wearing glasses?):

Wow, my grandmother graduated from Wooster college around 1930. I love the idea of a ‘Fighting Scot’ as a mascot. Did any of the teams (y’know besides field hockey) ever wear kilts?[/quote]

Stuby–
    No, however the entire marching band wears kilts which you can see here: http://athletics.woo...

and here: http://athletics.woo...

Also, from the 1904 team photo, the basketball has a ‘UW’ under the 1904 which stood for the University of Wooster…a few years later, they decided to switch directions and become a College, so we are known as The College of Wooster, however most people refer to us as Wooster College…which pisses the locals off, but whatever.

One last note…there are only two college basketball teams in the country to have three coaches win more than 300 games a piece. The College of Wooster and The University of Kansas.

And while Paul’s not a fan on monochrome unis, I think Wooster’s got it right: http://athletics.woo...

• Kenny | December 22, 2006 at 11:06 am |

[quote comment=”32408″][quote comment=”32403″][quote comment=”32389″]I know we all hate Nike on this site, but I kinda liked the Oregon helmets, although you couldn’t see the flames. The “O” did make it a little bit better. However, I do agree, the Uni’s got to go.[/quote]

Nike designs the helmets.[/quote]

My bad I missed that part in this article…I just saw who was supplying them with the helmets

• Kenny | December 22, 2006 at 11:07 am |

[quote comment=”32421″]Speaking of Nike and awesome Manchester United products..I think I need to order one of these.[/quote]

Very nice, I like, High five!!!

• David N | December 22, 2006 at 11:07 am |

• wooster, oh | December 22, 2006 at 11:08 am |

[quote comment=”32419″]I went to Case Western, so I think I have to not like you. However, for such a good post, I might look past your collegial shortcomings. 0=)

(Is the Baird Bros. trophy still being awarded? Did anyone care?)

Check out the belt: http://athletics.woo...

More belt action: http://athletics.woo...

nice socks! (and why is everyone at the game wearing glasses?):

Yes they are…Wooster’s won ten straight and was named one of the most unique rivalry trophies by SI. Full info here for anyone who cares (2nd para): http://www.wooster.e...

• Stuby | December 22, 2006 at 11:16 am |

[quote comment=”32423″][quote comment=”32418″][quote comment=”32416″]After seeing the photos of old college uniforms over the past few days, I decided to take a peek at my alma mater’s basketball page and found a few fantastic photos

Check out the belt: http://athletics.woo...

More belt action: http://athletics.woo...

nice socks! (and why is everyone at the game wearing glasses?):

Stuby–

and here: http://athletics.woo...

Sorry I got the name wrong. So the initials are C.O.W.? I love it. Thanks for the great kilt pics.

• Jay Palmer | December 22, 2006 at 11:18 am |

[quote comment=”32426″]How can anybody like those Texas Tech unis and dislike the Oregon ones. They’re both hideous.[/quote]

I agree….the Tech was “different”. But not a different good. It was too much….K.I.S.S is my rule

• Anthony Verna | December 22, 2006 at 11:20 am |

Thank you, sir! Wooster’s won ten straight? Let’s see. . . Oh, I found a list. No surprise there.

It is, shall we say, a unique trophy (and since Prof. Baird at Case once called me a friend, I’m happy to see it still being awarded).

[quote comment=”32427″]

• todd krevanchi | December 22, 2006 at 11:21 am |

here she is (on the left) with danica, wnba commisioner donna orender, my girl sue, and tamika catchings.

[quote comment=”32388″]Can someone photoshop a racer-back jersey onto Sue Bird for Krvanch?[/quote]

thanks buddy!!! good looking out!
    this is definitely the wrong type of jersey…
    i definitely need more of this…
    and this niketown banner

• Kenny | December 22, 2006 at 11:26 am |

Big fan of this razor back uni on her

• todd krevanchi | December 22, 2006 at 11:26 am |

[quote comment=”32389″]I know we all hate Nike on this site, [/quote]

dont speak on everyones behalf…
    please.

i love nike.
    i buy their products,
    apparel
    shoes
    etc.

i think the swoosh has got to be recognized as one of the nicest and simplest brand logos of all time

• Anthony Verna | December 22, 2006 at 11:28 am |

Is that a full navel ring with capture bead?

You’d think she’d change it to a semi-circle curved barbell for the season.

• Broker75 | December 22, 2006 at 11:34 am |

thanks buddy!!! good looking out!
    this is definitely the wrong type of jersey…
    i definitely need more of this…
    and this niketown banner
    nice pics, i think i found my new league to follow, for numerous reasons ;-)

• todd krevanchi | December 22, 2006 at 11:37 am |

[quote comment=”32435″]Is that a full navel ring with capture bead?

You’d think she’d change it to a semi-circle curved barbell for the season.[/quote]

you know what ant?
    in my opinion, who cares!
    i love that stomach…
    good catch buddy…

• Beantown | December 22, 2006 at 11:39 am |

My Islanders jersey has some shimmering going on.[/quote]

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

• Anthony Verna | December 22, 2006 at 11:46 am |

[quote comment=”32439″]
    you know what ant?
    in my opinion, who cares!
    i love that stomach…
    good catch buddy…[/quote]

I’m just thinking that in all sports, I’d rather not have jewlery that protrudes from the stomach. Imagine if she fell on it the wrong way or . . . had it pulled. Ick. I’m just thinking safety.

No doubt, she’s a beautiful woman. No doubt at all.

(And I won’t post any more Hochuli photos to appease Minna.)

• Daniel | December 22, 2006 at 11:48 am |

If you’re going to put flames on a helmet, I think you should go all the way man.[/quote]
    That’s what I thought too. If they had made the flame green and added silver trim, it would have looked pretty good.

• JTN | December 22, 2006 at 11:52 am |

I wonder how Paul would feel about these high school basketball uni’s…

HOME

AWAY

• Ian | December 22, 2006 at 11:53 am |

Keep up the great work.

• Teebz | December 22, 2006 at 11:56 am |

My Islanders jersey has some shimmering going on.[/quote]

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.[/quote]

Dude, that’s a classic jersey. Why? Because almost no one has one. :o)

• todd krevanchi | December 22, 2006 at 12:12 pm |

HOME

AWAY[/quote]

• Banker Bill | December 22, 2006 at 12:13 pm |

thanks buddy!!! good looking out!
    this is definitely the wrong type of jersey…
    i definitely need more of this…
    and this niketown banner

• Banker Bill | December 22, 2006 at 12:16 pm |

[quote comment=”32446″]Love all the Pacific NW stuff today, Paul. Being your Salem, Oregon representative, I’m eatin’ it all up — especially those awesome La Grande pics.

Keep up the great work.[/quote]

Ian, GREAT FIND – Hockey jerseys may be the greatest uniforms in the world, and the Buckaroo is AWESOME – If he were still alive, I’d buy one and send it to Buck Owens.
    (Let’s see how many Hee-Haw fans are out there now!)

• Banker Bill | December 22, 2006 at 12:18 pm |

[quote comment=”32447″][quote comment=”32440″]I’m not sure if this is true or not, but apparently the glacier twill fabric for lettering was first used by the NY Islanders when they switched to the Fisherman jerseys, and then carried on by the Avalanche. The reason for the usage of it is that it shimmers under the lights.

My Islanders jersey has some shimmering going on.[/quote]

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.[/quote]

Dude, that’s a classic jersey. Why? Because almost no one has one. :o)[/quote]

I always kind of had a fondness for those jerseys – as a Ranger fan, I was there the night we started the “We want Fish Sticks” chant. Those jerseys are like Lyle Lovett to me – brilliantly recognizable for their sheer ugliness.

• todd krevanchi | December 22, 2006 at 12:49 pm |

thanks buddy!!! good looking out!
    this is definitely the wrong type of jersey…
    i definitely need more of this…
    and this niketown banner

Krvanch, you can have Sue Bird – although she’s beautiful – I’ll have Becky Hammon is my Christmas stocking any year – although I’d rather see her in hers! She can ball too![/quote]

merry christmas bill

• Broker75 | December 22, 2006 at 12:52 pm |

My Islanders jersey has some shimmering going on.[/quote]

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.[/quote]

Dude, that’s a classic jersey. Why? Because almost no one has one. :o)[/quote]

• Chancelikely | December 22, 2006 at 12:53 pm |

Lyle Lovett called… he wants an apology for being compared to the Isles jersey.

• Brad | December 22, 2006 at 12:59 pm |

First off, let me say I love this site AND I love Nike. Before you kill me, let me clarify. In my opinion, they make the best athletic equipment and apparel. All my football, baseball and hockey stuff through the years has always been Nike. There is no better or cooler logo than the swoosh. That being said, a lot of their uniforms are horrendous (except for ASU), and their placemnet of the great swoosh is getting WAY out of hand.

• Banker Bill | December 22, 2006 at 1:01 pm |

[quote comment=”32459″][quote comment=”32453″][quote comment=”32432″]its a shame that colorado st. didnt have those jerseys when becky hammon played there…

thanks buddy!!! good looking out!
    this is definitely the wrong type of jersey…
    i definitely need more of this…
    and this niketown banner

merry christmas bill

Oh, the gift of giving at the holidays…thanks krvanch.

• Brad | December 22, 2006 at 1:03 pm |

Sorry, forgot to mention. Moon Valley is the Rockets, hence our flames.

• Teebz | December 22, 2006 at 1:03 pm |

[quote comment=”32461″]
    true, that jersey was limited, but Teebz, the jerseys that the Isles wear now is better. Remember the war that started when they released those jerseys?[/quote]

The orange calamity? Please tell me you’re not referring to them. Because they’re worse, in my opinion. But yes, the classic Isles jerseys are better.

• Stuby | December 22, 2006 at 1:03 pm |

As for flames on helmets….Oregon’s were obviously an embarrasment to everything we as Americans hold dear, but flames can be done right. I played at Moon Valley HS in Phoenix, AZ from 1996-00, and during that time we had white helmets with red flames on them, in a style very similar to the Philadelphia Eagles. They were frickin’ sweet, and every player coveted them. Well, after I graduated, the new coach got rid of them in favor of a bastardized red and royal version of the Tennessee Titans logo, with MV in the center of the circle. Now, we are reduced to this…..and even a state championship in 2004 can’t heal the wound that the flame removal left.[/quote]
    Brad,

Any pictures of your helmet flames?

• Burrill | December 22, 2006 at 1:05 pm |

• Brad | December 22, 2006 at 1:08 pm |

Brad,

Any pictures of your helmet flames?[/quote]
    Stubby,
    Not yet…I’m looking…but here is a photo of those horrible Titans knockoffs

• JTN | December 22, 2006 at 1:12 pm |

[quote comment=”32452″][quote comment=”32445″]I wonder how Paul would feel about these high school basketball uni’s…

HOME

AWAY[/quote]

that 2nd pic looks like an intrasquad scrimmage as both teams are wearing the nike ohio state 06-07 template.[/quote]

I’m not that much of a Nike hater as Paul is (except I do hate the Ohio State templates), but I do love the fact that this school has the striped socks as part of the uni’s…here’s another pic…

HERE

• Brad | December 22, 2006 at 1:12 pm |

[quote comment=”32471″][quote comment=”32468″][quote comment=”32463″][quote comment=”32394″][quote comment=”32389″]I know we all hate Nike on this site, but I kinda liked the Oregon helmets, although you couldn’t see the flames. The “O” did make it a little bit better. However, I do agree, the Uni’s got to go.[/quote]

Brad,

Any pictures of your helmet flames?[/quote]
    Stubby,
    Not yet…I’m looking…but here is a photo of those horrible Titans knockoffs[/quote]
    Sorry taht the link is blocked….if you go to Google and type in “Moon Valley Football”, it’s on the 3rd row of the 1st page

• Teebz | December 22, 2006 at 1:19 pm |

[quote comment=”32469″][quote comment=”32446″]But on the topic of vintage hockey sites, check out this one dedicated to the Portland Buckaroos of the old WHL. Some of the memorabilia on there is out of this world, including this gem from 1936 and this beaut which features the greatest retro hockey logo EVER.[/quote]

Okay, that second one is absolutely amazing. The horse is wearing skates. That is award-winning, if only in my own mind. (Submit your nominations now for the 2006 Burrills! The most prestigious awards presented by anyone named Burrill anywhere! Also, completely new and entirely fictional! With lots of exclamation points and parenthetical statements!)[/quote]

How about the Kentucky Thoroughblades?

• JimmyMac | December 22, 2006 at 1:19 pm |

Appealingly ugly? To who the Washington Wizards?

• Anthony Verna | December 22, 2006 at 1:28 pm |

And speaking of fun hockey logos. . .

• Teebz | December 22, 2006 at 1:29 pm |

[quote comment=”32476″]And speaking of fun hockey logos. . .[/quote]

• Burrill | December 22, 2006 at 1:33 pm |

[quote comment=”32474″]How about the Kentucky Thoroughblades?[/quote]

I’m not so big on the color scheme (palatable, but not something I’d like to see every day), but the logo is pretty fantastic.

Seriously. Animals on skates is such a great concept.

• Banker Bill | December 22, 2006 at 1:36 pm |

Tha Macon Whoopee’s logo is actually designed as this. Notice the bird and the bee. ;o)[/quote]

I have always thought that name was the best…when the Houston Astros wanted to move a minor league time to Kissimmee, FL I always laughed at the Kissimmee Astros.

I know the accent is in a different syllable, but still…FUNNY!

• Tod | December 22, 2006 at 1:45 pm |

• Metsfan AZ | December 22, 2006 at 1:49 pm |

[quote comment=”32482″]Anyone else bothered by Todd’s obsession with Nike and WNBA players? Don’t their hoofs tear up the courts? NAAAAAYYY!!![/quote]
    nope, just you

• Broker75 | December 22, 2006 at 1:52 pm |

[quote comment=”32480″][quote comment=”32478″][quote comment=”32476″]And speaking of fun hockey logos. . .[/quote]

I know the accent is in a different syllable, but still…FUNNY!

Not as good as a horse race I witnessed where there was a horse named “Hoof Hearted” and when the track announcer said it, it came out “Who Farted”. That had me ROLLING.[/quote]
    must a been in da Bronx

• Philly Bill | December 22, 2006 at 2:00 pm |

BTW, Paul or Vince or whomever, Paul Arizin’s name is misspelled up there. Please fix so the record will show you’ve mentioned him on this fine site.

• Anthony Verna | December 22, 2006 at 2:16 pm |

You know, the Game Show Network used to have this clip on its own website.

I don’t have sound, so I hope this works, fellow native Philadelphian.

[quote comment=”32486″]
    Before I had any coffee, I didn’t even get that joke… Now I’m gonna scour YouTube for clips of “The Newlywed Game”…[/quote]

• Teebz | December 22, 2006 at 2:20 pm |

Paul, you take care and we’ll see you after the break. Vince, good job yesterday, and I look forward to the next Vinnie article. Ek, great job as always.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a great night!

• Kenny | December 22, 2006 at 2:34 pm |

[quote comment=”32490″]Ok, the boss is letting me out of the asylum early today, so I wanted to wish everyone on here a Merry Christmas, a Happy Hannukah, a Merry Kwanzaa, and Happy Holidays. I’ll be spending time with family and friends over the next couple of days (and watching hockey), and I wish nothing but holiday cheer and the best to you and your loved ones.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a great night![/quote]

What about Festivis for the Rest-of-us?!?!

• mg12 | December 22, 2006 at 2:35 pm |

HOME

AWAY[/quote]

Nice, someone representing Vianney and the St. Louis MCC. Vianney was the high school that Chief’s quarterback Trent Green went to.

• Anthony Verna | December 22, 2006 at 2:37 pm |

[quote comment=”32492″]
    What about Festivis for the Rest-of-us?!?![/quote]

• Burrill | December 22, 2006 at 2:39 pm |

Teebz, may all your hockey uni dreams come true.

• schuby | December 22, 2006 at 2:40 pm |

I agree. And i actually think that the Oregon unis are way cooler than the Texas Tech ones. They both have great originality, but the Texas Tech ones are downright creepy. Maybe if i saw them in color i might change my mind.

• schuby | December 22, 2006 at 2:45 pm |

That would look great.

• Stuby | December 22, 2006 at 2:49 pm |

That would look great.[/quote]
    Whoa, are those really Laker throwbacks? They look like some All-Star game get-up. I’ve never seen those.

• Stuby | December 22, 2006 at 2:53 pm |

I guess on the bright side, you can always tell where the ice ends and the hockey player begins

• Ben | December 22, 2006 at 3:05 pm |

Re: Oregon’s unis.

So Paul asks if we can just move on.

Fine by me.

Course that means I expect Paul to stop shrieking and bleating if Oregon unveils yet another new set of unis.

Will he be able to keep his mouth shut?

I’m betting no.

• Burrill | December 22, 2006 at 3:05 pm |

That would look great.[/quote]

That would be pretty cool. It would be even cooler if they took the throwback idea so seriously that they decided to throw back the name to its proper location and adopt a name more suitable to their location.

Hey, every now and again I can be unrealistic and repetitive, right?

• Kenny | December 22, 2006 at 3:23 pm |

That would look great.[/quote]

Hey, every now and again I can be unrealistic and repetitive, right?[/quote]

• Matt | December 22, 2006 at 3:23 pm |

You guys missed the biggest logo creep in the “Hannibal” field hockey picture…

Read what the goalie has on her jersey above the number.

Later, I’m going to McDonald’s.

• Samuel | December 22, 2006 at 3:31 pm |

[quote comment=”32390″][quote comment=”32387″]On Oregon;

1.[/quote]
    [/quote]

Yeah, you could put something like, “If you’re reading this you’ve just been torched.”

I think the chargers already have numbers on the backs of the helmets, although this is a bit different.
    There was some interesting talk about Oregon’s Jerseys on Yardbarker a while back.

• Stan The Man | December 22, 2006 at 3:35 pm |

Alas…a properly uniformed team (BYU) defeated a hideously attired team (Oregon)…JUSTICE IS SERVED!!!

• Harry | December 22, 2006 at 3:44 pm |

(and why is everyone at the game wearing glasses?):

Because contacts weren’t widely used at the time is my guess

• schuby | December 22, 2006 at 4:03 pm |

[quote comment=”32505″][quote comment=”32504″][quote comment=”32498″]Who else thinks that the Heat and Lakers should wear throwbacks on Christmas Day?

That would look great.[/quote]

Hey, every now and again I can be unrealistic and repetitive, right?[/quote]

I would suggest they use these or these or these and I’ll take one of these please[/quote]

I like the jerseys i suggested, but i have to admit, those are really cool too. And i would buy that hat anyday

• thor | December 22, 2006 at 4:15 pm |

the oregon helmets almost glowed. i could not see the flames on tv, but it kinda looked like the great gazoo from the flintstones.

• schuby | December 22, 2006 at 4:25 pm |

[quote comment=”32512″][quote comment=”32389″]I know we all hate Nike on this site, but I kinda liked the Oregon helmets, although you couldn’t see the flames. The “O” did make it a little bit better. However, I do agree, the Uni’s got to go.[/quote]

2.jpg[/quote]

haha, you’re totally right

• Banker Bill | December 22, 2006 at 4:48 pm |

Well all, Banker’s hours are just about up – Paul, Vince, Ek, Teebz, Minna, Krvanch and my fellow posters – have a Happy and Healthy Holiday Season. I look forward to more discussion after Xmas – hopefully about a new jersey my wife got me…OK doubtful, but one can dream.

Now I must make like a hockey stick…and get the puck outta here!!

• maximumK | December 22, 2006 at 5:03 pm |

• Warren Thompson | December 22, 2006 at 5:14 pm |

• Anthony Verna | December 22, 2006 at 5:17 pm |

Merry Christmas!

I’ll be on the boards next week. It was fun to jump in.

• Stuby | December 22, 2006 at 5:22 pm |

Merry Christmas everybody.

• Metsfan AZ | December 22, 2006 at 5:24 pm |

Antonio Bryant out for 4 games for violating substance abuse policy. Insert crack joke here. This comment would be funnier with pics but I can’t bring myself to do it.

• Metsfan AZ | December 22, 2006 at 5:26 pm |

Never heard of the silver helmets and I was born in Lubbock, FWIW.

• Metsfan AZ | December 22, 2006 at 5:27 pm |

Merry Christmas everyone!

• Minna H | December 22, 2006 at 6:23 pm |

Well, hell. You all are going home now that I’m arriving!

I cannot see the link that will disappoint me, so someone please tell me what it is. Thanks.

Anthony, thanks for the pic of Ed in the classic unis. His pulchritude and sculpted physiology is a stunning sight to behold. The only thing better? Discovering Troy P. in my stockings this Christmas. That would be the present to end all presents.

Oregon: They even f**k up black unis. Blech.

Sue B. is better looking than Becky H.

Thanks to Paul, Ek and Vince for maintaining the excellence of this site. I appreciate your hard work and attention to minutiae.

Thanks to everybody else for the discussions—be they humorous, contentious, or simply engrossing. I raise a rum and diet coke to ya (I don’t drink beer) in celebration of the holidays.

Ok. My syrupy oration is over. Back to uni-gawking.

• Rob | December 22, 2006 at 6:40 pm |

As a sports reporter for Oakland University, I must admit that those Black on Gold Jersey’s are a travesty to mankind. I’m embarassed.

• MikeR | December 22, 2006 at 6:49 pm |

In Paul’s defense, I’m not sure he ever said he dislikes EVERYTHING Nike, or maintains that this is an anti-Nike site. I’m pretty sure from posts past that he’s discussed his position and it should be noted here. Not everything Nike does is horrible. Its just the marketing (two-colored sleeve templates in college football i.e. Florida, VT) and branding campaigns (University of Oregon) for some programs in the past have been a huge disappointment.

• Warren Thompson | December 22, 2006 at 7:26 pm |

[quote comment=”32526″][quote comment=”32522″]Those 1938 Texas Tech uniforms must have been designed by that era’s equivalent of Nike. On the other hand, they’re far better than anything Nike has done in this century. It would have been nice to see them in the flesh, so to speak, though I suspect those heavy-cotton jerseys (wityh sleeves to the wrist) would have been pure hell to wear in the early-season heat in west Texas. By the late 1940s, Tech was wearing more conventional kits, even sporting red jerseys and silver helmets for a few seasons (depite that their colors are red and black).[/quote]
    Never heard of the silver helmets and I was born in Lubbock, FWIW.[/quote]

Sometime in the 1950s, Tech played in a bowl game [I don’t remember which one], and I recall seeing a photo of Bobby Cavazos running the ball; he and the other Red Raiders in the shot wore red jerseys and silver helmets.

Of course, that was many years ago, and I just might have conjured it up.

• Warren Thompson | December 22, 2006 at 7:57 pm |

More on Texas Tech:

That game with Bobby Cavazos was the 1954 Gator Bowl (Tech 35, Auburn 13). For more info and a photo, click on the following:

• Matt from the 'Ville | December 22, 2006 at 8:12 pm |

Okay maybe not but come on do we really need the capital ‘J’.

• Matt from the 'Ville | December 22, 2006 at 8:23 pm |

Happy Holidays to all.

• Mike Friedman | December 22, 2006 at 8:29 pm |

What happens to a player’s uniforms and or jersey when he or she is traded. Where do the jerseys from the old team go.

• schuby | December 22, 2006 at 8:53 pm |

Watching the New Orleans Bowl, I’m really impressed with these unis. They’re not the classic type, but I think these are really good modern-style jerseys. Except for the Giant J on the TroJans uni. They need to get rid of that.

• schuby | December 22, 2006 at 9:17 pm |

and they heard schuby exclaim as he typed out of sight, merry christmas to all and especially Paul!!

Goodnight.

• Ed Findlay | December 22, 2006 at 9:28 pm |

• TD | December 22, 2006 at 9:30 pm |

Iverson’s debut tonight – Sacramento Kings wearing funky gold alternates in Denver.

• TD | December 22, 2006 at 9:36 pm |

Chris Creamer’s site has the mockups… note that the shorts striping and jersey striping are on opposite sides. Yick.

I’d feel better about it if a) gold had anything to do with their scheme, and b) if the nameplates were under the numbers for old-times sake.

• Minna H | December 22, 2006 at 10:20 pm |

Dear Burrill, I hate the Flying Wheels.

Yours Truly,
    M. Scrooge

I’m kidding, of course. I really like the red unis, but I hate the way they cream the Wild! every time they play. Or so it seems. Why are they playing back to back games? Or is the game being re-televised tomorrow? Is one of the games a make-up?

p.s. Thanks, Paul. The all-bold is hard on my eyes.

• STUBZ(DennisAbrams) | December 22, 2006 at 10:21 pm |

For some reason, I think that the Oakland jerseys look really cool. I don’t know why, but they don’t make me gag like Washington’s jerseys do.

• Paul Lukas | December 22, 2006 at 10:27 pm |

[quote comment=”32567″]As much as I respect your love of stripes Paul, I think you are taking the love way too far with your rave reviews of thew Texas Tech jerseys.

Those Texas Tech jerseys are just plain hideous, if any team were to wear them today you would be screaming bloody murder all over the site, especially if they came from a certain company…[/quote]

You’re welcome to disagree with my assessment (granted, I like stripes more than some folks do), but you’re dead wrong when you say I’d dislike this design if it were introduced today, whether by Nike or by anyone else. Believe me, I’d declare a national holiday if some team dressed up in that design, complete with long sleeves and cuff stripes!

• Andrew | December 22, 2006 at 10:51 pm |

[quote comment=”32550″]Happy Holidays to all.

A question for those of you who are hanging around. It is hanging to the right of A.I.’s jersy. Are those the padded commpression shorts that players are wearing now???[/quote]

Could be, also kinda looks like a tank top with the padding, perhaps?

• TD | December 22, 2006 at 11:05 pm |

AI against the Kings..

Notice the out-of-nowhere numeral set the Kings are using. Also keep in mind that the Kings go with black socks and shoes, and there’s a lot of Junior Varsity Ugly going on.

• TD | December 22, 2006 at 11:07 pm |
  • Original Jim | December 22, 2006 at 11:10 pm |

I don’t like Nike. Not at all.

I don’t like Nike because the shoes have never fit me right, no matter the size.

I don’t like Nike because of its oversaturation in the sports industry.

I don’t like Nike for introducing the idea of brand before product into sporting goods.

I don’t like Nike for jumping on the bandwagon and sticking its brand on any franchise or school that has a winning tradition. (Except for Oregon, which is where the roots are, and UNC, for Michael Jordan),

I don’t like Nike for destroying tradition with gratuitous introduction of random piping and colors.

I don’t like Nike for helping keep certain teams in the spotlight with outrageous uniforms.

I don’t like Nike for absorbing all the brands I wore as a kid (Converse and Starter).

Yes, I have even made a point to try to not root for “Nike schools”, except North Carolina. I even pains me to see Nike infiltrate the Hockey East schools, like UMass-Lowell.

I don’t like people blaming Reebok/UnderArmour/New Balance for many of the “innovations” that seemed to have been initiated by Nike, like the Swift jerseys in hockey, for example.

I have worn Reebok almost exclusively for over 25 years (a few times it’s been Adidas, they are also very comfortable). I am happy with my home-grown company (based in Mass.)

And as far as the basketball hotties go, they all become grating nags to me once I don the black-and-white striped jersey as the referee.

So there.

• Minna H | December 22, 2006 at 11:15 pm |

[quote comment=”32642″]After the Nike lovefest this place has become, I feel it’s my turn to add to the conversation. And I bet these comments will put me in the minority, but oh well…

I don’t like Nike. Not at all.

I don’t like Nike because of its oversaturation in the sports industry.

So there.

:)[/quote]

Nice rant, Jim. I agree with you. Not a hundred percent, but about ninety-five percent. Well said. I don’t buy Nike, nor will I ever. Rock on!

More interestingly, you ref?

• maximumK | December 22, 2006 at 11:31 pm |

Well put, original jim. Nothin’ like a good Nike rant to close the day. Unfortunately, I will have to disagree on one thing: I kinda like wearing the shoes. My sneakers are quite comfy and have served me well for quite a while now. Of course…every piece of material on those shoes, including every swoosh, is black. You can’t even tell they’re nikes when you back far enough away.

Can we put a cease order on the Wizards’ gold drug trip/uniform. They’ve been wearing it waaayyyy too much the last few weeks.

• Original Jim | December 22, 2006 at 11:38 pm |

Yeah, Minna, I ref.

3 sports: baseball, basketball, football.

It’s a busy, interesting life, being a graphic designer/referee. I’m definitely close enough to the action to comment on the aesthetic visual qualities of the participants.

• Teebz | December 22, 2006 at 11:41 pm |

quote comment=”32521″]Teebz may know this one, but it goes out to everyone in uni-land. When did the NHL and CCM make and sell the “Heratige” sweaters? I found a nice blue 1933 NY Rangers one at a local shop for relatively cheap and, even though it looks all cool and old, I wanted to know how old it actually was.[/quote]

• Teebz | December 22, 2006 at 11:42 pm |

Let’s try that again.

[quote comment=”32714″]Teebz may know this one, but it goes out to everyone in uni-land. When did the NHL and CCM make and sell the “Heratige” sweaters? I found a nice blue 1933 NY Rangers one at a local shop for relatively cheap and, even though it looks all cool and old, I wanted to know how old it actually was.[/quote]

• subway | December 23, 2006 at 12:04 am |

I don’t like Nike. Not at all.

I don’t like Nike because of its oversaturation in the sports industry.

So there.

:)[/quote]
    Couldn’t have said it better myself. Adidas, New Balance, Reebok, any brand other than N*** for me.

• maximumK | December 23, 2006 at 12:06 am |

[quote comment=”32715″]Let’s try that again.

Ok, I logged on after the family left. That jersey could be a true CCM heritage Jersey. They did a line of wool classic sweaters. Here is a webpage that has many examples. The Rangers one is nice.[/quote]

Hmm…the one I saw was quite similar to that one, but there were a few differences. There was a “Circa 1933” embroidered on the white at the bottom, and the letters may have been slightly italicized. It had all the proper CCM/NHL tagging, though, and the stripes were all identical. It’s pretty sharp, so I may just have to make the investment. Thanks, Teebz

• Minna H | December 23, 2006 at 12:07 am |

[quote comment=”32713″]Yeah, Minna, I ref.

3 sports: baseball, basketball, football.

And those ref pants look like track pants. If I can wear UnderArmour under the knickers and stay warm, I don’t see why the NFL referees can’t. It seemed to be ok for 80+ years…[/quote]

• Minna H | December 23, 2006 at 12:09 am |

Teebz! I didn’t think you’d be back tonight.

This isn’t strictly uni-related (ok, it’s not at all), but I would like your learned opinion. Thanks, T. Cratchit.

M. Scrooge

• Luke | December 23, 2006 at 12:11 am |

A little note on LeBron and wearing the arm sleeve.. . He says he has been wearing it because of a tatoo he had touched up and also because of some bursitis. Full article and be seen here:

• Luke | December 23, 2006 at 12:14 am |

Here’s the link from my last comment: http://www.ohio.com/...

• maximumK | December 23, 2006 at 12:16 am |

[quote comment=”32748″]Teebz! I didn’t think you’d be back tonight.

M. Scrooge[/quote]

• maximumK | December 23, 2006 at 12:20 am |

Though, I guess if they moved the Penguins, the Atlanta thing would be a moot point.

• Minna H | December 23, 2006 at 12:25 am |

[quote comment=”32753″][quote comment=”32748″]Teebz! I didn’t think you’d be back tonight.

M. Scrooge[/quote]

Are there really so many teams in the east that they have to move Atlanta to the west? That will be absurd to think of, but i guess it’s geographically correct.[/quote]

Some of the alignments seem to be more for convenience than based on actual location, but I guess they can’t do it any other way. I just don’t understand the sudden urge to change now.

• JJD | December 23, 2006 at 12:56 am |

Two days after purple heaven against LSU, Washington hosted Weber State for Purple Heaven II.

• Original Jim | December 23, 2006 at 1:16 am |

[quote comment=”32747″]Next time someone jaws at you, say back, “Pull up your socks, tuck in your shirt, and shut up!” Have you ever reffed a game in which a team is wearing your design? Or do you not do uni-wear?[/quote]

Lol…I do have to constantly remind players to tuck in their jerseys. Our basketball organization is very emphatic about enforcing that one, even to the point of removing a player from the game to make sure the uniform is worn properly.

Aside from random concepts, I’m more about the logos themselves than the entire uniform. I’d be happy just to see it on a t-shirt. At the local level, teams are pretty much at the mercy of the uniform supplier, so it’s pretty much just stock fonts and patterns for everything anyway.

At this time, I haven’t worked a game with someone in my design. I’ve only done a few logos for teams, and the only local team has yet to even have nice uniforms, they were rush printed due to a tight deadline for their tournament. I think they will be using stock uniforms from a local supplier, but hopefully my wordmark and logo will go on them.

I only wish I could be as successful as the likes of Joe Bosack, Todd Radom, Dan Simon et al…

• calvin12 | December 23, 2006 at 1:19 am |

I’d say put atlanta in the east and have columbus in teh west of the NHL allignment

• Kelli | December 23, 2006 at 1:56 am |

M. Scrooge[/quote]

It seems to me that moving Atlanta to the Western Conference would be a bad move for Atlanta. With the exception of Nashville, they would be looking at road trips of at least 600 (Columbus and St. Louis). So much for making travel and scheduling easier.

• JJD | December 23, 2006 at 2:00 am |

I really think they should just make two fifteen-team conferences, top eight teams in each go to the playoffs. They might as well do it, if only to be different.

• Teebz | December 23, 2006 at 3:03 am |

I saw that story today, Minna. I was leaving work, and it caught my eye on TSN.ca. I haven’t had much time to read into it, but I promise to respond about it some time tomorrow. I think I can make five minutes out of my day into Uni Watch time. :o)

• John Paul Jones | December 23, 2006 at 9:37 am |

In response to the talk of realigning the NHL, the names of the divisions should return to Smythe, Patrick, Norris, and Adams divisions and the conferences can be Wales and Campbell. It’s not like anyone (ESPN) cares about the NHL anway, so might as well be different than the rest of the drone leagues.

• Kenny | December 23, 2006 at 9:49 am |

[quote comment=”32549″]What is up with this type font. I think I like Oregon’s uniforms much better than this.

Okay maybe not but come on do we really need the capital ‘J’.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing when I was watching the game…no need for a capital J, maybe a capital T

• Ben | December 23, 2006 at 10:19 pm |

That would look great.[/quote]

Hey, every now and again I can be unrealistic and repetitive, right?[/quote]

That Laker uni isn’t a throwback, just an Ogawful uniform that was worn for the rookie game during All-Star weekend a few years back.

• Richie Murray | December 24, 2006 at 12:28 am |

Here’s another racer-backed women’s basketball team. It’s Alabama State.

You can see it under the picture for Samantha Mahoney.