Head Games

pierce.jpg

We’re not even a month into the NBA season, and Paul Pierce is already going for a record: most headband designs worn by a single player. He wore solid white last night against the Knicks, which as Mike Hennessy notes was his fourth different headband this month, the others having been solid green, green-and-white striped (note the contraband rubber bands), and Auerbach-memorialized.

As for Pierce, he may end up holding the NBA record, but he’s got a long way to go before he can catch the sports world’s all-time headband leaders. The top prize probably goes to John McEnroe, whose forehead stylings over the years have included this, this, this, this, this, this, and this — and that’s just a small sampling. McEnroe’s onetime nemesis Bjorn Borg favored stripes — usually on a white ground, sometimes on blue, and very occasionally something a bit more abstract. When the two of them walked onto the court together, it was a regular headbanders ball.

Of course, today’s headbands just look like this. Pfeh.

Uni Watch News Ticker: I’d meant to mention this a few days ago: As some of you know, there was a bizarre scene at North Texas last Saturday, as head coach Darrell Dickey dressed the team in solid black unis (instead of their usual green) with no player names or conference patches, possibly due to a feud with his own athletic director. Full details here. … Doug Keklak was watching Jeannette High School in the WPIAL championships from Heinz Field on Friday and noticed that this guy has “CAPT” on the back of his helmet — never seen that before. Keklak also says the Jeannette players had their names printed in script above their helmets’ nose bumpers, although I can’t really make it out in the photo he took. … Judging by the stripe pattern, I’d say this is an animal that totally Gets Itâ„¢ — and a new one was just born! … Good catch by Nolan Brett, who spotted an Oregon player wearing some sort of Under Armour head thingie under his helmet yesterday. That couldn’t have pleased Phil Knight, who for some reason was allowed to be in the coaches’ box. … Here’s something you don’t see very often: the Lakers wearing yellow on the road (because the Jazz decided to wear their baby blue alts at home). … Cavs and Pacers both wore throwbacks last night. Naturally, Lebron had color-coordinated Livestrong bracelets for the occasion. … Gilbert Arenas was asked about the Wizards’ black and gold alt unis and responded thusly: “I like them better than the blue [road uniforms]. But I really want to bring black the red, white and blue. I don’t want the [old] Bullets name; I just want to go back to [the Bullets’] red, white and blue. I talked to [management] about it and they said it takes two years [to make that kind of uniform change]. Hopefully we will.”

91 comments to Head Games

• Caknuck | November 25, 2006 at 9:46 am |

• Paul Lukas | November 25, 2006 at 9:48 am |

[quote comment=”24611″]It’s a sad state of affairs when just as many NBA teams (Cavs, Pacers) wear their throwbacks on Thanksgiving weekend as do the NFL (Cowboys, Browns). More NBA teams are going with the alternate (non-throwback) unis this weekend, too.[/quote]

Yeah, but keep in mind that this has nothing to do with old-school traditionalism and everything to do with the start of the holiday shopping season.

• Clevo | November 25, 2006 at 9:50 am |

what about this guy?

• Doug | November 25, 2006 at 10:06 am |

Another interesting thing about Jeannette is their mascot. That’s only the second high school I know of that uses the “Jayhawks”.

But, their helmet logo is a “reverse” Jayhawk, the head is blue and the body is red.

However, here they use the standard KU Jayhawk, minus the “KU” on the body of the bird.

• David | November 25, 2006 at 10:20 am |

Vandercook Lake in Michigan is also the Jayhawks

• Robert | November 25, 2006 at 10:36 am |

• Michael | November 25, 2006 at 10:58 am |

Just want to point out in those pics from the Cavs-Pacers game, the Cavs made it a point to color-coordinate their shoes also. Pacers used their regular navy blue and yellow scheme, when it’s more a royal blue on their jersey. The shoes gotta match too!!!

• TheMatt | November 25, 2006 at 11:09 am |

Sock story! A little news item here about Eduardo Najera and how he folds his socks to prevent blisters. Apparently, Andre Miller does it as well. Is this a well-known sports technique? Also, why is this in the baseball section of the Sun?

• Josh W | November 25, 2006 at 11:20 am |

I saw this on SportsCenter. In response to the Cavs orange uniforms LeBron had this to say:
    “It’s kind of strange to open up on the road with our new uniforms. I think it’s strange, but I don’t make the decisions. They look like orange sherbet.”

I dont know, maybe you could mention that in a section talking about players responses to the alternate/throwback uniforms that they’re wearing this year.

• GoTerriers | November 25, 2006 at 11:27 am |

[quote comment=”24616″]I love the stunt pulled by soon-to-be ex-Coach Dickey at North Texas. It sounds like something out of a movie, with the contraband black uniforms being snuck into the locker room under dark of night, with all of the players taking a blood oath to keep things quiet until the team walks onto the field. Great stuff.[/quote]

This is hardly unprecedented . . .

Back when Boston University “killed” their football program (1997? A couple of years after I graduated) then-coach Tom Masella outfitted the teams in plain white jerseys and black helmets with no decals. There was no mention on the University or the Yankee Conference anywhere on the jerseys for the last 3 games of the season. It was a sort of a “If you don’t want us, we don’t need to reflect any association with you” shot at the university.

It was about 10 years ago and the university was less than pleased with the coach’s reaction, so needless to say, pictures are little tough to come by

• John | November 25, 2006 at 11:33 am |

I believe the Mavs wore throwbacks last night as well:

Mavs Throwbacks

• maximumK | November 25, 2006 at 11:39 am |

Keep the dream alive Gilbert! I’m pretty sure everyone in Washington wants to get as far away from those swoopy blue and gold things as they can.

• Heath | November 25, 2006 at 11:41 am |

This is a cry for help to the uni-nation.

I am an avid collector of baseball caps and I am desperstely looking for a Chicago Whales (of the short lived Federal League) cap. I have tried Amazon and eBay. I have also looked at Ebbets Field Flannels and Mitchell & Ness. I have been unable to find a Whales cap anywhere. If anyone can think of any place to look that I might not have thought of, please help. The only requirements the cap must meet is that it is fitted and made of wool.

Please help!!!!

• Josh W | November 25, 2006 at 11:42 am |

[quote comment=”24623″]I believe the Mavs wore throwbacks last night as well:

Mavs Throwbacks[/quote]

those are their alternate jerseys, not throwbacks.

• JBM | November 25, 2006 at 11:57 am |

[quote comment=”24625″]This is a cry for help to the uni-nation.

Please help!!!![/quote]
    ballcap.com has a Chicago Whales cap.

• Sammy | November 25, 2006 at 12:09 pm |

• John | November 25, 2006 at 12:11 pm |

[quote comment=”24626″]those are their alternate jerseys, not throwbacks.[/quote]

Gotcha. I don’t follow the NBA that much, so they looked like throwbacks.

• bg | November 25, 2006 at 12:17 pm |

Nice shots of Borg and his headband. Back in the mid to late 70’s and early 80’s..when I played a ton of tennis..Fila was SUPER hi-end, only avail at tennis clubs. Amazing quality- woven egyptian cotton, not like the mass-produced junk of today. I wore the Borg & Vilas styles, even used their terrific racquets..but never the headband. It was like wearing a vice grip on your head!

• The Gov'Nah | November 25, 2006 at 12:17 pm |

• Brandon | November 25, 2006 at 12:37 pm |

Clemson is wearing the all orange unis Bleh!

• Heath | November 25, 2006 at 12:55 pm |

[quote comment=”24627″][quote comment=”24625″]This is a cry for help to the uni-nation.

Please help!!!![/quote]
    ballcap.com has a Chicago Whales cap.[/quote]

Thank you, thank you, a thousand times thank you!!!! You are my hero!

• John | November 25, 2006 at 12:58 pm |

I think you can see a bit of it here.

• Frank from B-more | November 25, 2006 at 1:04 pm |

It looks like Dirk is r[quote comment=”24623″]I believe the Mavs wore throwbacks last night as well:

Mavs Throwbacks[/quote]
    eacting to the uni

• Alain | November 25, 2006 at 1:24 pm |

[quote comment=”24625″]This is a cry for help to the uni-nation.

Please help!!!![/quote]

• Alain | November 25, 2006 at 1:27 pm |

[quote comment=”24638″][quote comment=”24625″]This is a cry for help to the uni-nation.

Please help!!!![/quote]

Try ballcap.com They’ve got what you’re looking for. A little pricey, but they hand-make the cap when you order it. As a matter of fact, they can custom-make caps. I had them make an Alexandria (Va.) Dukes cap. For those of you who don’t know the Dukes, they played at Four-Mile Run Park outside of DC, and infamously signed Mickey Mantle son to a deal in the 70s[/quote]

My, bad, next time I’ll scroll to the bottom before I come to anyone’s resuce. But I did give you all a nice Dukes story. (If you’re interested, they were the Carolina League Pirates affiliate, and wore black caps with a gold bill, a white wedge up front with an Old English ‘A’ in gold. Nice looking cap)

• Buckeye Mike | November 25, 2006 at 1:31 pm |

I have always thought that wasn’t really a head band on him anyways. I looks more like one of those sponge headbands that a factory worker would wear, maybe he put a little peice of a regular headbanf over it or something. of course, I can’t find any pictures of it anyone else?

• Marc Walls | November 25, 2006 at 1:46 pm |

Is there a way to find out what uni-combo the NFL teams will be wearing during the weekend. I know the alternate list is around, but I’m more interested in the teams that mix and match color combos (Titans)

• Burrill | November 25, 2006 at 1:47 pm |

• Nate | November 25, 2006 at 2:00 pm |

C’mon now, no mention of the Oregon-Oregon State game? Oregon wearing yellow jerseys with yellow pants against Oregon State wearing black on black, it was one of the ugliest games of football ever. I called my little brother over, and he immediately say “EWW!!” when he saw the horrible conglomeration of unis. OSU didn’t look bad in all black, but against the Hostess Lemon Fruit Pie yellow ™ of Oregon, it was all just gawd-awful

• Shane | November 25, 2006 at 2:34 pm |

I liked the diagonal lettering on the aways better.

• Paul Lukas | November 25, 2006 at 2:35 pm |

[quote comment=”24641″]Is there a way to find out what uni-combo the NFL teams will be wearing during the weekend.[/quote]

• Andrew Ross | November 25, 2006 at 2:38 pm |

[quote comment=”24627″]ballcap.com has a Chicago Whales cap.[/quote]

• Jason | November 25, 2006 at 2:53 pm |

Love those Pacers throwbacks, especially the “Pacers” down the side of the shorts.

• JJD | November 25, 2006 at 3:05 pm |

I was noticing yesterday that the metal-plate patterns on the Oregon unis are a sewn-on patch, and when it got really wet the shoulder fabric went to black while the patch of metal-plate stayed green.

Also, the band is on the field and boy do they look bad.

• JJD | November 25, 2006 at 3:07 pm |

Here is a better look at the two different colors on the shoulders.

• Super Mario | November 25, 2006 at 3:24 pm |

anyone else?[/quote]
    the inspiration for the start of the headband with wilt the stilt originally came form when he played volleyball. he is in the volleyball hall of fame, mind you. wilt would play with some friends that had some headbands like the ones shown in the picture. he made the transition from volleyball to basketball. wilt would wear it when he played volleyball, so that’s why he had it in the games for the lakers. i read all of this information from his biography here. it was a very good read for anyone who’s interested.

• Heath | November 25, 2006 at 3:36 pm |

[quote comment=”24648″][quote comment=”24627″]ballcap.com has a Chicago Whales cap.[/quote]

I’d do some research before getting anything from them… I have a Brooklyn Tip-Tops (same league) cap from them. It’s very high quality and has that beautiful Art Nouveau ‘B’ on the front. I love it, and I wouldn’t hesitate to get it from them again. But, my friend David and I have done extensive research and have yet to turn up a picture of a Tip-Top player wearing a cap with any sort of logo on it at all. The Art Nouveau B does appear on many Tip-Top player’s jerseys, though.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up on that. i did do some research on that front and discovered that ballcap.com offers both styles of caps the Whales wore in their two years of existence. So I win no matter which one I want.

Thanks from everybody who helped me with this one.

• Nolan | November 25, 2006 at 3:50 pm |

[quote comment=”24628″]This isn’t related to today’s post, but I recently had the idea of making a page on the blog as a “Beginner’s guide to Uni Watching.” It could include the basics: We hate Nike, we love stripes, we hate color-on-color in the NFL, we love throwbacks, we hate black on the Mets, etc. It would help new readers get some of the jokes and references to other occurances of uni phenomena. All the readers could contribute to it, and it would be great for everyone.[/quote]

Two things:
    1. There is already an FAQ that new visitors can check out, and if you’re a devout Uni Watcher and haven’t read it, you should do yourself a favor and check it out.

2. “We” don’t hate Nike, Paul hates what Nike has turned sports uniforms into, he may also hate them as a rule but that would be presumptuous on my part.
    “We” are not obligated to hate anything. That is a personal aesthetic decision to make. Paul hates purple but many people around here have a special place in their hearts for purple in relation to the Lakers or LSU.

So, in summary we should read the FAQ and have our own mind of what is aestheticly pleasing.

• will | November 25, 2006 at 4:22 pm |

• anonymous | November 25, 2006 at 4:25 pm |

Kansas did wear red socks against Missouri today

• Joe | November 25, 2006 at 5:02 pm |

I think it looks good, but the shade of gold on the jerseys doesn’t look to be the same shade of the pants. Could be just my eyes deceiving me, but that’s how it looks on my TV.

• Resin | November 25, 2006 at 5:10 pm |

• KDOE | November 25, 2006 at 5:18 pm |

Grambling State new-

• KDOE | November 25, 2006 at 5:21 pm |

sorry i can’t figure this thing out here is the website: http://sports.espn.g...
    they were designed by big boi from outkast

• Burrill | November 25, 2006 at 5:52 pm |

I noticed the Grambling State unis, and I really didn’t care for them. I thought the typeface made them look like they were created in Word or something.

• blakeruns | November 25, 2006 at 6:13 pm |

Manu Ginobli
    what a chump

when i head he was wearing thigh pads, i figured
    they would be of this variety
    sort’ve like slider shorts in baseball

ive seen them worn by Lebron, Gilbert A, and Kobe
    to name a few

whatever Ginobli is wearing makes him look soft. or injured i suppose..

• blakeruns | November 25, 2006 at 6:14 pm |

i dont know why that first link didnt work

McDavid makes them
    and theyre called “Hex Pads” i believe

• Howard | November 25, 2006 at 6:40 pm |

Back to the picture at the top of today’s posting, with the Celtics in their alternate unis, both jerseys say the name of the city – Boston and New York.

• blakeruns | November 25, 2006 at 6:51 pm |

very astute Howard

• Minna H | November 25, 2006 at 7:08 pm |

[quote comment=”24646″][quote comment=”24642″]To follow up my previous post of Chelsea’s road hockey uniforms: last night I got a look at their home unis.[/quote]

I liked the diagonal lettering on the aways better.[/quote]

I don’t know, Shane. While I do like the aways, the homes are just as good. I like the clean white space with the simple ‘C’ and the stripes around the waist. Good look all around. Keep the pictures coming, Burrill.

I don’t know how I feel about Grambling State’s new uniforms. I like the colors, but something about the execution just isn’t right. Still, they are better than the Southern Lemon Drops, that’s for sure.

• Jeff I | November 25, 2006 at 7:11 pm |

• bg | November 25, 2006 at 7:12 pm |

anyone know if Majestic is planning an update for the dugout jacket for 07?

• Jeff I | November 25, 2006 at 7:14 pm |

[quote comment=”24672″]Maple Leafs are wearing white at home and the Bruins are wearing their, imo, awesome black vintage jerseys[/quote]
    Oh and I believe the Leafs whites are also their vintage jerseys.

Love the Original 6 matchup!

• Jeff I | November 25, 2006 at 7:22 pm |

My last Bruins note tonight, i promise…but a cool story.

Apparently Jason York’s jersey was stolen from the locker room of the Air Canada Centrea few hours ago. The Bruins equiptment managers took Yan Stastny’s #43 jersey (recently sent down to the minors) took the name and number off, and re-stitched on the #’s 25 and “York”.,

Looks pretty good

• LunchBox | November 25, 2006 at 7:23 pm |
  • Chris Hilf | November 25, 2006 at 7:33 pm |

[quote comment=”24661″][quote comment=”24657″]Pitt is wearing all gold unis. I don’t know if any pics are out but they are sharp. gold helmates, jerseys and pants. I thought it was GT but it looks pretty good[/quote]
    They seem to wear those every year for one game. Well, an all gold version. These uniforms were new last year. Also, Louisville is wearing their alternate black pants. Good look. I’m a big fan of black alternates (though the UNT thing… eh, not so much).[/quote]
    Actually, this is the first time Pitt has EVER worn gold on gold. They wore throwbacks last year but not at all this year. They have white, blue, and now gold jerseys, and also blue and gold pants, no white pants (which is a shame).
    I love Pitt and the jerseys were sharp, but the jersey definitely did NOT match the pants, which both did not match the helmets. Bad bad bad bad bad.
    My wife works for Pitt athletics – I’m going to make her beg someone there for one of those jerseys for my christmas present….

• Chris Hilf | November 25, 2006 at 7:34 pm |

Quote from the Post Gazette to back my case – at the bottom.

• James | November 25, 2006 at 7:58 pm |

I was at the Pitt game. It’s not so much the shade difference between the jersey and pants as how the lights reflected on them.

Next year, I’d like Pitt to wear those gold jerseys with white or blue pants, so as to avoid the leotard effect.

• Chris Hilf | November 25, 2006 at 8:19 pm |

agreed. white pants would be an excellent addition to their kit.

• Vincent A. Cipollone | November 25, 2006 at 8:25 pm |

I know basketball coaches don’t wear uniforms but c’mon Larry Brown!

• Tom C. | November 25, 2006 at 9:05 pm |

not to be a total kiss-ass, but…

props to Paul today for posting an article. It’s the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I expected to see an open thread.

• brett | November 25, 2006 at 9:16 pm |

• GoMac | November 25, 2006 at 9:44 pm |

And look here..half of USC’s roster has 2 players with the same number..

• Brandon | November 25, 2006 at 9:50 pm |

And look here..half of USC’s roster has 2 players with the same number..[/quote]

• Tony Edwards | November 25, 2006 at 10:16 pm |

• Marc M. | November 25, 2006 at 10:21 pm |

[quote comment=”24653″][quote comment=”24640″]When I think of NBA headbands, the first guy who comes to mind is Wilt Chamberlain, who wore a yellow headband during the latter stages of his career. Oddly, it wasn’t a solid terrycloth band like the ones worn today. It was wide across his brow and then much thinner behind his head — weird.

anyone else?[/quote]

Best pic of the headband i could find.

• Jeff | November 25, 2006 at 10:23 pm |

You Pitt fans are idiots! Those uniforms were horrible! Even if they matched! Pitt should go back to the old days of Johnny Majors or the all bright yellow’s of the Alex Van Pelt days!

• Scott | November 25, 2006 at 10:40 pm |

Please someone correct me if I am wrong on these two…The Dallas uniforms that were mistaken as throw backs earlier, weren’t they designed by SeanJohn?

Also, I thought that braclets and wristbands were illegal for players to wear starting this season.

• Paul Lukas | November 25, 2006 at 11:02 pm |

Anyone know what Dwayne Jarrett has written on his eye black?

• Brian from Short Island | November 25, 2006 at 11:04 pm |

[quote comment=”24636″][quote comment=”24631″]did anyone see Ginobli of the SPurs last night wearing thigh pads under his shorts ? similair to what a football player would wear. i was unable to get any photos.[/quote]

I think you can see a bit of it here.[/quote]
    Vince Carter wears an undershirt with rib padding, similar to this.

• Elliott | November 25, 2006 at 11:30 pm |

[quote comment=”24696″]Anyone know what Dwayne Jarrett has written on his eye black?[/quote]
    I have absolutly no idea, but they sort of look like ***s…or 609 like Reggie Bush wore last year…I dont know…just a guess

• Miguel | November 25, 2006 at 11:30 pm |

Can’t believe nobody’s talked about Weis taking a page out of the Belichek playbook and dressing like crap on the sideline.

• Elliott | November 25, 2006 at 11:31 pm |

That wasn’t meant too look like a blacked something out…I meant stars

• Miguel | November 25, 2006 at 11:32 pm |

*Belichick

• Dave A | November 25, 2006 at 11:35 pm |

[quote comment=”24691″][quote comment=”24685″]2 things i have noticed so far in the usc notre dame game. the first thing is hta 2 usc players are wearing number 10. John David Booty is wearing 10 as well as a player on defense, not sure of his name though. I also notcied that one of the usc runningbacks has a hole in the back of his pants[/quote]

Because of the huge number of players on college rosters they are allowed to have two players wear the same number as long as 1 is on offense and 1 is on defense. They are never allowed on the field at the same time (i.e. special teams)[/quote]

Not uni-related, buy can anyone explain why any football team needs 116 players?

• Flick | November 25, 2006 at 11:38 pm |

The ABC crew covering the game said that Weis looked more like a “Big Belichick” than a “Little Tuna”

• Andrew | November 25, 2006 at 11:41 pm |

My bro picked up one of the new 5950s, they are quite an improvement. It is actually comfortable the first time you put it on, and (although the only one I’ve seen is the Tigers’ one) the black underbill looks sweet.

• Kelli | November 26, 2006 at 12:24 am |

[quote comment=”24627″]ballcap.com has a Chicago Whales cap.[/quote]

That’s a cool site. I love that they make them to order too. I might have to get one from the AAGPBL collection.

• Kelli | November 26, 2006 at 12:26 am |

[quote comment=”24633″]Clemson is wearing the all orange unis Bleh![/quote]

And they lost in them as is appropriate.

GO COCKS!

• Kelli | November 26, 2006 at 12:36 am |

[quote comment=”24666″]i dont know why that first link didnt work

McDavid makes them
    and theyre called “Hex Pads” i believe[/quote]

What is going on with athletes these days? I understand the need to protect yourself from injury, but this stuff seems like it’s meant to keep athletes from getting bruised or bumped. I didn’t wear that much body armor when I was in the Corps.

• Vincent A. Cipollone | November 26, 2006 at 12:40 am |

I was watching a press conference and the eye black on Jarrett’s right side read “TRI” but I was unable to make out the one on his left.

• Vincent A. Cipollone | November 26, 2006 at 1:06 am |

Saw the press conference again and I think the other eye black says “STATE”

• Vincent A. Cipollone | November 26, 2006 at 1:10 am |

• Charlie Mitchell | November 26, 2006 at 1:10 am |

Yeah, the eye black said Tri-State. Dwayne is from New Jersey, one third of the Tri-State area. (New York, CT)

• Dylan | November 26, 2006 at 2:20 am |

Two things, how come Oregon wore yellow on the road
    and how many different of the many combinations have the ducks worn this year

• Brandon | November 26, 2006 at 3:03 am |

[quote comment=”24712″]Sorry about the triple post but I believe the eye black could be a shout out to his hometown of New Brunswick, NJ because it is right in between the tri-state area of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York[/quote]
    PA isnt a “Tri-State” which is a common mistake Conn. is the 3rd.

• GoMac | November 26, 2006 at 3:27 am |

[quote comment=”24687″][quote comment=”24686″]The defensive player on USC that wears #10 is Brian Cushing from Bergen Catholic NJ.

I was just going to say it was Cushing but GoMAc beat me to it and i despise Cushing because i attend Don Bosco Prep, and Bergen Catholic are our biggest rivals and in a State Championship game Cushing won the game for Bergen[/quote]

Haha..that’s kinda funny..I’m from Fort Lee and my best friend went to Bergen..

I didn’t really like either team when I wrestled against them cause they recruited the shit outta all the decent hometown kids..haha…

But it’ll get half of them to NFL one day..so I guess you can’t deny it works..

• Elliott | November 26, 2006 at 5:17 am |

How appropriate!

• NOR | November 26, 2006 at 5:55 pm |

While watching the New England and Chicago game today I noticed that one Chicago player did not have “C” decal on his left side of his helmet. I believe his number was 92. Does anyone happen to have screen shots. It happened on a New England field goal attempt. I believe the first attempt before Chicago called a time out.

• Steve | November 27, 2006 at 6:20 pm |

While Wilt wore the headband towards the end of his career, the player who I’ll always remember wearing a headband with “style” was Slick Watts of the Seattle Supersonics in the 1970s.

• Steve | November 27, 2006 at 6:21 pm |