Sock Hop

neumann3.jpg

New ESPN column today. I’ll add the link when it goes live. [Update: Oops, no ESPN column today after all — it’s been bumped to next week.]

Meanwhile, check out this coincidence: Yesterday’s Comments section included a bit of chatter about kickers who wear mismatched shoe colors (punters, too), which then segued into a discussion of barefoot kickers. I read some of those comments, and then I did some photo research for another column. And that’s when I came across some photos of Layne Neumann.

Neumann is the kicker for Texas A&M, and he does something I’ve never seen before: He kicks while wearing a sock (additional views here and here, the latter of which should appeal to those dirty-sock fetishists who flock to Witesock’s site). Anyone know of other kickers or punters who’ve done this?

Personally, I’ve always liked barefoot kickers. The ones who come most readily to mind are Rich Karlis (note his admirable attention to sock stripes, even on his bare leg), Tony Franklin (who did his college kicking at Texas A&M — perhaps he was an inspiration to Neumann?), and Mike Lansford. But here are some you might not know about:

• Johnson Lau: Lau grew up playing barefoot football — “a popular version of the gridiron sport in the pre-World War II days,” according to this article — and then became a standout barefoot placekicker, dropkicker, and punter in college and grad school during the 1940s. The Eagles encouraged him to enter the NFL draft in 1941, but he decided against it.

• Dick Kenney: Kenney, who grew up in Hawaii and kicked for Michigan State in the 1960s, nailed a 47-yard field goal in the 1966 “Game of the Century” between the Spartans and Notre Dame. He appears to be the only barefoot kicker who hit the ball straight-on, instead of soccer-style. Yowch! There’s some good info on him in this old article from Time (which also features cool info on lots of other 1960s kickers). And according to this page on the Helmet Hut web site, Kenney “never had pro football aspirations simply because of his unusual kicking style, which was not allowed in the NFL” — odd, since the Eagles had courted Johnson Lau two decades earlier. I’ve asked Helmet Hut prexy Curtis Worrell if he can clarify this — I’ll post an update when I hear back from him.

• Rob Hart: You might not realize that there was a barefoot kicker in the NFL just a few years ago. That would be Hart, who had a few cups of coffee with the Bucs and Dolphins in 2002 and 2004. He’s spent the rest of his career in NFL Europe.

• Andrew Sullivan: Sullivan kicked for Yale until graduating in 2005. He’s also in the running for the Worst Logo Creep Ever Award: According to this article (which is a good overview of barefoot kicking in general), he drew a Nike swoosh onto his bare foot before each game, which his coach praised as an admirably “team-oriented” move. Pardon me while I go slit my wrists.

Uni Watch Holiday Schedule: We’ll have an open thread tomorrow (I’ll take care of it, John), but I’ll have a regular entry on Friday, and maybe one on the weekend as well. Happy Thanksgiving to one and all.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Good breakdown of MLS unis here (courtesy of T.J. Zaremba). … Nice history of the Capitals’ jerseys here (gold star to Kim Kolb). … Moises Alou has worn No. 18 throughout his career — with the Expos, Marlins, Astros, Cubs, and Giants, and in the World Baseball Classic. When he signed with the Mets earlier this week, Jose Valentin readily agreed to give up his number. So Alou’s Mets press conference looked like this. … Great article here about fast food, airline, and other corporate uniforms (courtesy of Dominic Litten). … This suddenly makes a lot more sense, in light of this. … Bill Hickman, chairman of the Society for American Baseball Research‘s Pictorial History Committee, has generously provided another photo of those odd Washington Senators uni numbers. … Holiday-themed note from Chris Donham: “Here’s something for people to look for during the 100th Easton-Phillipsburg high school football clash, which is being broadcast on ESPN2 at 9 a.m. on Thankgiving Day. The Easton Red Rovers are sporting throwback helmets this year. The football at the bottom of the white stripe has a number 9, which is in memory of Michael Cummings, who passed away on March 5, 2006. He was an 18-year-old junior quarterback on the Easton Area High football team.” More info and pics here and here. … Weird scene last night in Lawrence, as Kansas wore red alternate unis against Tennessee State, resulting in a red vs. blue game. … A big Uni Watch welcome to the new readers who’ve discovered this site via this MetaFilter link. Come on in — there’s plenty of beer in the fridge.

180 comments to Sock Hop

• Parker | November 22, 2006 at 9:06 am |

With the Civil War coming up, there’s a good article on oregonlive.com this morning involving a little trash talking centered around our favorite unis.

• Joe O | November 22, 2006 at 9:06 am |

• Kevin | November 22, 2006 at 9:23 am |

Since it’s that time of year, big thanks to Paul for continually giving us an entertaining read. And to everyone else for sharing their info as well.

• Brian | November 22, 2006 at 9:23 am |

I’ll be at that Easton-PBurg game, so I’ll try and get some pictures.

• Rene | November 22, 2006 at 9:24 am |

cant wait to see throwback unis tomorrow!!!

• Richard | November 22, 2006 at 9:28 am |

• Parker | November 22, 2006 at 9:29 am |

[quote comment=”24205″]beer in the fridge? Paul, we’ve been reading for 6 months and NOW you tell us you have been in the fridge…gee, now we’re definitely coming over![/quote]
    Ya, I’ll be in New York this weekend anyway… when should I stop by?

• zep | November 22, 2006 at 9:37 am |

Any special Thanksgiving NFL uni’s to report?

• Joe O | November 22, 2006 at 9:46 am |

[quote comment=”24207″]Any special Thanksgiving NFL uni’s to report?[/quote]
    Boys and the kittens will be wearing theirs…My understanding is my phins won’t be…and the bucs never will…

• Terry Mark | November 22, 2006 at 9:46 am |

The pictures from the KU-Tennessee State game lead me to wonder if the NCAA has any sort of rule about uniforms. It’s the NCAA — they must have a rule (probably tons of them). It appears that at least in basketball, all teams are required to do is wear contrasting color and that there is not a stipulation that one team wear a “light” color.

Does anyone out there have any insight on this?

• Texas_Islander | November 22, 2006 at 9:48 am |

• Kelli | November 22, 2006 at 9:54 am |

Getting off my Jarhead soapbox now. :)

• Kelli | November 22, 2006 at 10:00 am |

[quote comment=”24210″]To add to the coincidence I’m traveling from down here in Canada (the home of 3/4 major sports reigning MVP’s) to Texas to see the Texas-Texas A&M game tomorrow. Now I’m going to fixated on the A&M kicker for the whole game. Thanks.[/quote]

• Patrick O'Donnell | November 22, 2006 at 10:05 am |

• JohnBoy | November 22, 2006 at 10:09 am |

They just can’t compete with Paul, although give credit to his review of the Mets black unis…

“Let’s face it: a paint-by-numbers fashion foul.”

• Miguel | November 22, 2006 at 10:09 am |

[quote comment=”24212″]

I would love to go to that game. I’ve been trying to get tickets for years, but have been unsuccessful. I am quite obviously sleeping with the wrong people.[/quote]

It’s quite easy to get tickets to the Texas/aTm game.

All you have to do is donate $5000 to the Longhorn Foundation.

• Luther Mahoney | November 22, 2006 at 10:13 am |

Paul McFadden,who played for Buddy Ryan’s
    Philadelphia Eagles in the mid 1980s,was a
    barefoot kicker. He wore number 8.

• Kelli | November 22, 2006 at 10:15 am |

It could be worse .

• Kelli | November 22, 2006 at 10:18 am |

[quote comment=”24216″][quote comment=”24212″]

It’s quite easy to get tickets to the Texas/aTm game.

All you have to do is donate $5000 to the Longhorn Foundation.[/quote]

First, I’m an Aggie fan, and giving that much money to TAMUs arch rival would make me too ill to attend the game.
    Second, I’m sure that if I’m patient enough, and live long enough, I will finally get to a game. And what a game that will be!

Gig ‘Em Aggies!

• Miguel | November 22, 2006 at 10:21 am |

[quote comment=”24219″][quote comment=”24216″][quote comment=”24212″]

It’s quite easy to get tickets to the Texas/aTm game.

All you have to do is donate $5000 to the Longhorn Foundation.[/quote]

Gig ‘Em Aggies![/quote]

My bad.

Then all you would have to do is donate $2500 to the 12th Man Foundation.

• Bouj | November 22, 2006 at 10:23 am |

• skott | November 22, 2006 at 10:28 am |

i really do miss the old TB Bucs orange uni’s.
    i remember them playing the Rams in the late 70s, i think 79 and just thinking how great that game looked.

remember vince ferragamo’s cool mask?

i loved that thing.

• Dave | November 22, 2006 at 10:29 am |

Bill Cowher is on the record as saying he will not wear a suit.

Any word on other coaches?

• 13monkeys | November 22, 2006 at 10:30 am |

For you collectors out there:

I can’t get a direct link to work, but if you go here and search under Bad News Bears you will find a production used Bad News uniform for sale at a reasonable price.

There is decent pinstriping but sadly… vinyl iron-on numbers.

• Paul Lukas | November 22, 2006 at 10:32 am |

Any word on other coaches?[/quote]

I believe Tom Coughlin has also said that he’ll remain in the un-suited camp.

• skott | November 22, 2006 at 10:32 am |

Bill Belichick said he would.

• DJL | November 22, 2006 at 10:33 am |

Interesting article on NCAA Division II Chadron State College (Neb.)

This season, the Eagles played at Division I-AA Montana State this season and received a $40,000 payoff to make the nearly 1250-mile round trip.

Why did CSC need the money? For new uniforms and redesign of the school logo.

It boggles my mind why some schools even have football.

• Adam in Chicago | November 22, 2006 at 10:34 am |

• Adam in Chicago | November 22, 2006 at 10:39 am |

• Joe O | November 22, 2006 at 10:47 am |

“Let’s face it: a paint-by-numbers fashion foul.”[/quote]
    Check out yesterday’s comments

• Warren Thompson | November 22, 2006 at 10:55 am |

[quote comment=”24230″]Additional hurling pic: the fellow on the right should make any longtime UniWatcher shudder in horror. The mismatched helmet is the kicker, IMO. Yeuckh.[/quote]

Given that the snap shows a Gaelic hurling match, a mismatched helmet might not matter at the end. It, along with the rest of the kit, will likely be covered in gore. ;)

• Tim B | November 22, 2006 at 10:56 am |

[quote comment=”24223″]i really do miss the old TB Bucs orange uni’s.

remember vince ferragamo’s cool mask?

i loved that thing.

the 70’s had some great face masks. i remember the Vikings in particular had great ones…at least thats what i think i remember from my old football cards.[/quote]

I really dug the Bucs old jerseys and helmets. It would be cool to see them dig this out of the attic for Thanksgiving.

I loved those 70’s face masks too.

Joe Willie

and Griese to name just two.

• Joe Hilseberg | November 22, 2006 at 10:57 am |

“Let’s face it: a paint-by-numbers fashion foul.”[/quote]

• Rich | November 22, 2006 at 11:05 am |

I too, am growing tiresome of my team’s white on white combo too.

• KT | November 22, 2006 at 11:05 am |

Done. Thanks.

• MetsFan AZ | November 22, 2006 at 11:05 am |

[quote comment=”24233″][quote comment=”24223″]i really do miss the old TB Bucs orange uni’s.

remember vince ferragamo’s cool mask?

i loved that thing.

I loved those 70’s face masks too.

Joe Willie

and Griese to name just two.[/quote]
    Love Broadway Joe’s! I thought the first QB to wear three bars was Aikman. Way behind…

• John from KY | November 22, 2006 at 11:10 am |

[quote comment=”24233″]
    I loved those 70’s face masks too.

Joe Willie

and Griese to name just two.[/quote]

That Namath mask was really from the late 50s or very early 60s – the equipment manager must have dug it out for him there toward the end of his career. He also wore that mask with the Rams the last year of his career.

• Chad S. | November 22, 2006 at 11:11 am |

Here is what I saw.

• Adam in Chicago | November 22, 2006 at 11:11 am |

More hurling:

Check out these nightmares!

• DJL | November 22, 2006 at 11:16 am |

[quote comment=”24229″]I had a nice, long breakdown of the following topic eaten up by the security code bug, so here’s a summary:

Hurling, one of Ireland’s national sports, is – in addition to being a great game to both play and watch – pretty fascinating from a uni standpoint. Full Google image library here.[/quote]

Since we mentioned rugby yesterday, and hurling today, I feel its necessary to bring up Gaelic football, which can be described as a combination of soccer and rugby. The professsional team uniforms would similarly described that way as well.

You can also learn about in this video.

• Robert | November 22, 2006 at 11:18 am |

[quote comment=”24211″]Ok, this article just irritated me. Why they failed to mention the Marine Corps’ patented digital camo pattern, which came first after all, and mentioned the Army’s copied version is beyond me. Everyone wants to be one of us I suppose.

Getting off my Jarhead soapbox now. :)[/quote]

Semper Fi.

• Mark | November 22, 2006 at 11:22 am |

Here is what I saw.[/quote]

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | November 22, 2006 at 11:24 am |

what? no pics of jared holley in the blog entry? the kid is incredible!

i’ll be at the 85th catasauqua vs. northampton game. we have been wearing throwback helmets the last 2 seasons honoring the the 1975 team last season and the 1981 team this season. unfortunately our game will only get radio coverage.

go rough riders!!!

• Giancarlo | November 22, 2006 at 11:24 am |

• Chris Hilf | November 22, 2006 at 11:25 am |

[quote comment=”24225″]For you collectors out there:

There is decent pinstriping but sadly… vinyl iron-on numbers.[/quote]
    Eh. Doesn’t say “Chico’s Bail Bonds” on it….

• Josh | November 22, 2006 at 11:26 am |

Usually they wear some odd uni combination when these two teams get together.

• Giancarlo | November 22, 2006 at 11:26 am |

Sorry, here’s that third link.

• Richard | November 22, 2006 at 11:32 am |

[quote comment=”24244″][quote comment=”24240″]I was watching the American Music Awards last night and noticed something about the guitar player in Rascal Flatts. I was not sure if I was seeing things, but research this morning helped set my mind at ease, sort of. “Buckeyes” on his guitar!

Here is what I saw.[/quote]

check out this article, it notes that two of the three members of rascal flatts attended the game and are from columbus. of course, the highlight of the article is that nickelback got shut out of tickets . . .but that is beside the point. great use of the buckeye stickers, wonder what rascal flatts did to merit the honors?[/quote]

Probably for the awards they have won, and continue to win. Jay, with the guitar, and Gary are from Columbus.

• mg12 | November 22, 2006 at 11:33 am |

• Andy #11 | November 22, 2006 at 11:35 am |

I don’t mind the all white as long as there are stripes on the pants or something.

There is no excuse for this though.

• Kim | November 22, 2006 at 11:39 am |

Usually they wear some odd uni combination when these two teams get together.

I’d imagine Arizona will wear their red jersey / navy pants combo since they upset Cal wearing that combo during their last home game. ASU may come out in something different…Maybe all white or something?[/quote]

• Brooks | November 22, 2006 at 11:44 am |

It is from the television show that ran from 79 to 80, not from the movie.

• Steve | November 22, 2006 at 11:45 am |

This is a disclaimer: bare man ass.
    Yours wasn’t.

• MetsFan AZ | November 22, 2006 at 11:46 am |

Usually they wear some odd uni combination when these two teams get together.

As an ASU Alum: Please God, no Bannana Uniforms (all ASU Gold/Yellow and with black shoes).[/quote]

• Robert | November 22, 2006 at 11:50 am |

[quote comment=”24248″][quote comment=”24225″]For you collectors out there:

There is decent pinstriping but sadly… vinyl iron-on numbers.[/quote]
    Eh. Doesn’t say “Chico’s Bail Bonds” on it….[/quote]

I bought a quality Bad News Bears jersey from some guy in the Phillipines via ebay a year or so ago. It looks great, complete with the Chico’s logo. Long live ebay.

• Robert | November 22, 2006 at 11:52 am |

• Minna H | November 22, 2006 at 11:53 am |

[quote comment=”24257″][quote comment=”24201″]You really gotta put a disclaimer on the links to this pic Its way too early for me to seeing that suddenly…can’t wait for the ESPN.com article…am I first?[/quote]

This is a disclaimer: bare man ass.
    Yours wasn’t.[/quote]

Another disclaimer:

nice piece of ass, though most of you probably disagree.

Hey, Paul, you got any rum in that fridge of yours? I don’t drink beer.

• Minna H | November 22, 2006 at 11:55 am |

[quote comment=”24254″]

There is no excuse for this though.[/quote]

• Minna H | November 22, 2006 at 11:57 am |

Any word on other coaches?[/quote]

Cowher shouldn’t wear a suit—not with all the spitting he does. He’d just mess it up, and he’d probably rip a hole in it with all the energetic thrashing he does as well.

• Paul Lukas | November 22, 2006 at 12:00 pm |

Artist’s rendering.

• Andy #11 | November 22, 2006 at 12:06 pm |

[quote comment=”24263″][quote comment=”24254″]

There is no excuse for this though.[/quote]

I actually like the Texas white-on-white for some strange reason. In general, I don’t mind the whites, though the combo doesn’t look nearly as good as the blacks.[/quote]

• Minna H | November 22, 2006 at 12:06 pm |

Artist’s rendering.[/quote]

You slay me, Paul. You absolutely slay me. Shouldn’t the swoosh be white, though? I’m just saying….

• MetsFan AZ | November 22, 2006 at 12:07 pm |

Artist’s rendering.[/quote]

• skott | November 22, 2006 at 12:08 pm |

the way the kicker’s leg is bent his whole leg is a nike swoosh.

• Minna H | November 22, 2006 at 12:08 pm |

[quote comment=”24266″][quote comment=”24263″][quote comment=”24254″]

There is no excuse for this though.[/quote]

Whenever I see Texas wearing their all whites, it looks to me like they’re playing in pajamas.[/quote]

Andy, maybe that’s why I like it! Nice….

• Daniel | November 22, 2006 at 12:08 pm |

So Dallas and Detroit are going to wear throwbacks tomorrow, but Miami and Tampa aren’t? Thanksgiving is supposed to be throwback day for all teams playing. It just doesn’t seem right.

• John | November 22, 2006 at 12:14 pm |

All of this doesn’t seem to make much sense in the case of the KU – Tennessee St game, since the game was in Lawrence. It seems that KU should have been wearing their white home unis, while Tennessee ST wore its away blue ones. How are the red alternates not considered “dark” uniforms? Shouldn’t the refs have made the KU players change to their white uniforms?

Any thoughts?

• KT | November 22, 2006 at 12:17 pm |

I don’t believe the Bucs have ever worn their throwbacks since going to pewter and red, have they?

I have a creamsickle orange Doug Williams throwback that I may wear to Thanksgiving dinner just because.

• Paul Lukas | November 22, 2006 at 12:17 pm |

There are lots of “useless” buttons throughout men’s and women’s clothing. Lots of shirts and blouses have a top button at the collar, even though they’re rarely if ever buttoned all the way to the top. Most men’s and women’s suit jackets have buttons on the sleeve cuffs, sometimes with faux-buttonhole stitching, but it’s rare that these are actually functional buttons with real buttonholes (and rarer still that anyone ever actually unbuttons them). The left-lapel buttonhole on a men’s suit jacket (the one sometimes used for a boutonnaire) corresponds to a button that used to be common on the right lapel. Some men’s shirts still have a back collar button, a vestigal remnant from the days when collars were separate items that literally had to be buttoned onto the shirt. The bottom button of a vest is traditionally never buttoned. Men’s pants (including baseball pants!) often have button-thru rear pockets that are rarely if ever buttoned. Same goes for the upper-right buttons on double-breasted men’s suit jackets.

• Chris | November 22, 2006 at 12:21 pm |

[quote comment=”24264″][quote comment=”24224″]Bill Cowher is on the record as saying he will not wear a suit.

Any word on other coaches?[/quote]

• Rich | November 22, 2006 at 12:24 pm |

Artist’s rendering.[/quote]

heh! Four toes and a talon!

• MetsFan AZ | November 22, 2006 at 12:29 pm |

• MetsFan AZ | November 22, 2006 at 12:31 pm |

• Nick Maibroda | November 22, 2006 at 12:32 pm |

Artist’s rendering.[/quote]
    Glad the wrist bleeding stopped. Do you still have that team b’ball photo with the kid with the swoosh tattoo? I think it was pre-blog days. That is hands down the ultimate logo creep.[/quote]

• Patrick O'Donnell | November 22, 2006 at 12:35 pm |

[quote comment=”24260″][quote comment=”24247″]I love the Chiefs’ all-white look. Have to say, I really don’t get the general distaste for all-white on this board. To me it’s such a classic NFL look. How could you deny the power of this; this; or this?[/quote]

I’m with you. I cannot fathom why so many people are down on the white/white. Even teams with horrible uniforms (Seattle, Buffalo) look marginally presentable when they don the white/white.[/quote]

Just to clarify, I don’t mind the Chiefs in white/white, but it should never happen at home. The Chiefs have ALWAYS worn red at home, and it should stay that way. When they came out in all white for the opening game at home this year, everyone here in KC was mad. Bad start for Herm Edwards. Lose the game and Trent Green for half the season. I don’t think the all whites will make an appearance at Arrowhead for a long time.

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | November 22, 2006 at 12:35 pm |

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT UNI-RELATED

from yesterday…

[quote comment=”24174″]I’m sure I speak for most of the Uni Watch readership when I say I NEVER want to see the words “Antonio Bryant” mentioned in this space again, but I just stumbled upon this item on ESPN.com. Seems Antonio was pulled over for drunk driving. (No word on whether his ass was hanging out of his pants — thankfully, no photos accompanied the article.)[/quote]

well you dont speak for this member of uniwatch nation.

NEVER want to see his name? why? because he made an error in judgement?

many athletes have skeletons in their closets and have made mistakes and have regrets. but, you know what? so do we.

im sure there is a percentage of people who read and post on this blog who have been cited with DUI as well. should we NEVER want to see them here?

in recent SI articles it was listed that 2 pro bowl nfl players, ray lewis and chad johnson, have children with multiple women. do they count too?

i dont condone much of the behavior that we see from athletes on major media outlets. but these things happen to regular “mortals” too. its just that i wont see the little blurb in the police reports section of the local paper that says, john from knob, arkansas also had a DUI that same day.

yes DUI has impacted all of us either directly or indirectly during our lives, but jeez, to ban bryant from the board?

sorry, that post just got to me…

• al | November 22, 2006 at 12:39 pm |

• Dan Rosenbaum | November 22, 2006 at 12:40 pm |

I recall that the Jets had a punter, possibly Chuck Ramsey, who used to wear a sock on his kicking foot, but I could not find a photo. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

• Joe O | November 22, 2006 at 12:43 pm |

[quote comment=”24266″][quote comment=”24263″][quote comment=”24254″]

There is no excuse for this though.[/quote]

I’ll second the pajama opinion…I am a huge fins fan and love the white/white combo. The fins wear alot of white every year. I hated the aqua/aqua combo they’ve worn a couple times…

• al | November 22, 2006 at 12:43 pm |

[quote comment=”24223″]i really do miss the old TB Bucs orange uni’s.

remember vince ferragamo’s cool mask?

i loved that thing.

Skott,

Yer a youngster :)

Ferragamos’ mask was made by schutt and represents half of Larry CZonka’s famous mask (it’s just missing the nose bar on top). The Vikings linemen you allude to wore the schutt facemasks as well, check out the Helmet Hut for all the funky masks from the days when the NFL was truly football.
    Later.

• Ian K | November 22, 2006 at 12:51 pm |

[quote comment=”24266″][quote comment=”24263″][quote comment=”24254″]

There is no excuse for this though.[/quote]

I think Texas looks like they’re wearing pajamas because the pants lack a stripe. The KC Chiefs have a stripe, which breaks up the look a bit.

• Taylor | November 22, 2006 at 12:52 pm |

[quote comment=”24236″][quote comment=”24222″]The MLS kit resource was nice, but the guy running it might want to include the kit of the newly-crowned champs on there. I’m just saying.[/quote]

Done. Thanks.

Had Paul given me word you lot were coming over, I’d have straightened up. Now I’m going to have to spend the morning getting things sorted. :)[/quote]

I think it looks good. Why is everybody against white/white football jerseys it seems?

• Andy #11 | November 22, 2006 at 12:55 pm |

[quote comment=”24281″]DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT UNI-RELATED

from yesterday…

well you dont speak for this member of uniwatch nation.

NEVER want to see his name? why? because he made an error in judgement?

sorry, that post just got to me…[/quote]

• Minna H | November 22, 2006 at 12:59 pm |

[quote comment=”24274″][quote comment=”24264″]Hey, most of you are guys. Why the useless button on the bottom of the suitcoat? It doesn’t really add anything aesthetically, and it’s not meant to be buttoned, so why bother?[/quote]

What’s this all about? Style. Buttons look cool, and they help to define and segment space. If you’ve ever seen a man wearing a one-button jacket, it becomes obvious why jackets normally have two or three buttons, even if they aren’t all used.[/quote]

Paul, thanks for the comprehensive reply. You are correct, of course, that there are numerous examples of frivolous buttons in clothing. I think it’s because I hadn’t known about such a common one (the suit, bottom button) that I was thrown for such a loop. Thanks for slapping some sense back into me.

• Kevin | November 22, 2006 at 1:00 pm |

[quote comment=”24234″][quote comment=”24215″]Anyone else notice that CNNSI just posted a photo gallery on the 10 worst dressed teams in sports?

“Let’s face it: a paint-by-numbers fashion foul.”[/quote]

They were talking about this on my local sports talk morning show today and they were taking calls on who the local fans thought were the worst. Some moron called and said the Maple Leafs and the Canadiens were the worst because they were too simple and too plain. I changed the station after that![/quote]

That poor guy, he probably goes to work everyday in a purple polo shirt tucked into his black jeans.

• Minna H | November 22, 2006 at 1:00 pm |

[quote comment=”24275″]
    The bottom button almost always serves as a guide. When you leave the bottom button undone the jacket fits properly. When you button all of the buttons on a suit jacket it tends to bunch up around the chest and shoulders, I think del rio had this problem.[/quote]

Chris, this makes good sense, too. I knew I could count on you guys. Thanks!

• Minna H | November 22, 2006 at 1:03 pm |

[quote comment=”24278″]Sorry for the misquote in #72. I was trying to avoid the multi-screen post and edit the quote all cool-like like PL does. Woefully short.[/quote]

MetsFanAZ, I liked your reply best of all, though it doesn’t answer my question. I like hearing weird tidbits like this.

p.s. I know this isn’t the right post, but I don’t want to get caught in the endless loop of italics.

• Adam | November 22, 2006 at 1:05 pm |

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | November 22, 2006 at 1:10 pm |

if thats the case then my apologies. since both NEVER wanting to see him again, and the DUI article were in the same sentence, i read it as 1 subject or thought.

• MetsFan AZ | November 22, 2006 at 1:11 pm |

• John from KY | November 22, 2006 at 1:12 pm |

[quote comment=”24287″]
    Skott,

Yer a youngster :)

Later.[/quote]

• Andrew F | November 22, 2006 at 1:15 pm |

[quote comment=”24292″][quote comment=”24281″]DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT UNI-RELATED

from yesterday…

well you dont speak for this member of uniwatch nation.

NEVER want to see his name? why? because he made an error in judgement?

sorry, that post just got to me…[/quote]

I think the reason Andy from KC didn’t want to see Bryant’s name here again is because it always seems to be linked to a picture of his naked arse! Not because he was arrested for dui…[/quote]

Yeah, seriously. The less man-ass I see, the better…

(obligatory link)

• Joe O | November 22, 2006 at 1:16 pm |

[quote comment=”24299″][quote comment=”24297″]I’m sure you probably saw this, being that it was on ESPN Page 2 and everything, but according to TMQ’s readership, the Jaguars’ alternate unis aren’t black, but Brunswick Green. Your thoughts?[/quote]
    reminded me of “Yankee blue” (black) and “Lakers blue” (purple). At least they don’t go all J.Crew on us and call white “chalk” and navy “cadet”. although Padres uni’s do come in “sand”…[/quote]

Sorry…the jags jerseys are black…TMQ calls a lot of different things wierd names (jersey/a and jersey/b for example).

The Jags wore black helmets, black pants, and black jerseys…

• Minna H | November 22, 2006 at 1:20 pm |

[quote comment=”24292″]

• Minna H | November 22, 2006 at 1:24 pm |

Addendum: If someone could post a pic (not photoshopped) of Troy P.’s ass, I’d be much obliged. Teebz? Hear that? It would make a satisfactory substitute for my Christmas present. Not as good as the real thing, of course, but beggars must not be choosers. And I’m begging….

• Jason | November 22, 2006 at 1:24 pm |

[quote comment=”24272″]The NCAA basketball rules (Rule 3, Sec. 5, Art. 12) state that “Opposing team colors must be of contrasting colors,” and that the home team must wear its light kit and the away team wear its dark kit. It seems that A.R. 19 states that if the two teams have the same color kit the home team should wear its light kit, but that on neutral territory, the referees are to decide whether or not the uniforms worn are appropriately “contrasting.”

Any thoughts?[/quote]

You can throw the rulebook out when the Buckeyes play the Dons apparently.

• Beefalo | November 22, 2006 at 1:24 pm |

North Texas Meltdown

• GoTerriers | November 22, 2006 at 1:26 pm |

[quote comment=”24299″]

Not sure what Yankees uniforms you’re looking at, but the pinstripes are most definitely navy blue, not black. Put a Yanks home jersey next to a White Sox home jersey and you can clearly see the differece (although now that I look at it, these pictures don’t quite do the contrast justice!)

• Josh | November 22, 2006 at 1:30 pm |

[quote comment=”24258″][quote comment=”24255″][quote comment=”24249″]Saturday is the “Duel in the Desert” (AKA, Arizona vs. Arizona State football game)
    Usually they wear some odd uni combination when these two teams get together.

This Wildcat would like to see U of A in White pants with either a red or blue jersey. Banana unis, or as they refer to them in Eugene – lemons, are not good. Has ASu ever worn all burgundy/maroon? Strictly from a uni perspective I think that might look ok. As a U of A alum I hate those colors.[/quote]

The game is in Tucson, so you probably won’t see the Scum Devils in a colored jersey…that’s why I’m thinking an all white combo. The “banana look” was done in Tempe I believe. And, I think I recall them wearing all maroon before.

For tradition’s sake I like the Cats in navy jerseys / white pants…but as I said before, due to the fact that we beat Cal in the red tops / navy pants combo during our last home game, I’d imagine that is what we’ll see this weekend.

• Minna H | November 22, 2006 at 1:33 pm |

[quote comment=”24308″]Very interesting article today (by way of Deadspin) about goings-on at North Texas. After being fired, coach Darryl Dickey changed out the team uniforms for the last game to a generic black jersey that had no logos (conference, school or anything else) on it without telling anyone affiliated with the school that he was going to do it.

North Texas Meltdown[/quote]

Beefalo, thanks for this fascinating article. I am torn. I love the all-black look, and the coach did look sharp next to his team, and I can’t get too bent out of shape about screwing over a marketing company, but….It just wasn’t right. It was a bush league move done to assuage the ego of a fired coach, and he should have found a way to protest that didn’t involve the team.

• MetsFan AZ | November 22, 2006 at 1:37 pm |

[quote comment=”24311″][quote comment=”24258″][quote comment=”24255″][quote comment=”24249″]

I think the UofA athletic dept. is slowly trying to phase out navy as the primary color…the football team now has red jerseys and we rarely see the hoops team wear navy anymore.[/quote]
    That has always made me chuckle a bit. Everyone going to the game is wearing red and the team is always wearing navy. I like the red jerseys for both b’ball and football, just not the Nike template.

• Justin | November 22, 2006 at 1:37 pm |

Front view: One, Two

Side view

Back view

Also, this is the logo on the collar.

• MetsFan AZ | November 22, 2006 at 1:40 pm |

re: #101 I did it again.

• ACC (the Brain) | November 22, 2006 at 1:43 pm |

Does anyone out there have any insight on this?[/quote]

I am fine with red vs. blue or something like that in college only. It reminds me of youth basketball or CYO when you only getone jersey for the whole season.

There shouldn’t be such strict rules for NCAA teams.

• Minna H | November 22, 2006 at 1:49 pm |

You can vote for the angry homeless man’s sweatshirt being the Turkey of the Year on ESPN:

gobble gobble

• Teebz | November 22, 2006 at 1:50 pm |

Sorry, Minna. Me + anything NFL = disasterous results for anyone involved.

As for the Christmas gift, I am further away from Pittsburgh than you are. ;o)

• Beefalo | November 22, 2006 at 1:51 pm |

Minna H,

I think the thing that struck me the most about the North Texas story was that he was able to do it without anyone in the athletic department catching on.

• Minna H | November 22, 2006 at 1:55 pm |

[quote comment=”24321″]Minna H,

I don’t have much sympathy for the conference or the marketing sponsors, although it is kind of shady for the players to lose the names off the backs of their jerseys for their last home game.[/quote]

Well, with one coach strangling another, I think it’s safe to say that is one messed up athletic department. Yeah, it’s only the kids I feel sorry for.

• Minna H | November 22, 2006 at 1:56 pm |

[quote comment=”24320″]Sorry, Minna. Me + anything NFL = disasterous results for anyone involved.

As for the Christmas gift, I am further away from Pittsburgh than you are. ;o)[/quote]

Sigh. Then I guess I’ll just have to keep hating on Christmas, T. Cratchit.

M. Scrooge.

• Pat | November 22, 2006 at 1:56 pm |

[quote comment=”24315″]San Diego State men’s basketball team debuted their red alternate jersey last night against UC Riverside. I thought it looked kinda cool, but that’s just one student’s opinion.

Front view: One, Two

Side view

Back view

Also, this is the logo on the collar.[/quote]

I don’t mind the uniforms. I enjoy the vertical arching/horizontal lettering look that surrounds the front numbers. My only real beef is the backs of the jersey. The lettering for the names needs to be MUCH bigger. And maybe the numbers too. The names look like the are drowning in a sea of red. The bigger letters might help the number look a little better.

• Josh | November 22, 2006 at 1:57 pm |

A possible memorial on Arizona’s jerseys or helmets may be in the works on Saturday.
    Former Wildcat defensive back Zaharius Johnson passed away from colon Cancer on Tuesday.
    He was only 27. He played for UofA from 1999-2001 and worked for the athletic dept as an academic counselor.

Story

• Giancarlo | November 22, 2006 at 1:58 pm |

I think chefs should always go with the all-white look as well. Who could deny the power of this?

• ACC (the Brain) | November 22, 2006 at 1:59 pm |

I have no problem with it. Exceptions: 49ers in 1996 – that was bad and it only lasted a year thank God. and the Rams last week was a bit weird.

• Kim | November 22, 2006 at 2:04 pm |

[quote comment=”24321″]Minna H,

You know, NTU isn’t exactly known for it’s smarts.

• Kim | November 22, 2006 at 2:17 pm |

[quote comment=”24318″][quote comment=”24209″]Oh, wow! Inconspicuous Consumption looks like something I could get lost in for a long time. Paul, that column appears to be a “classic,” as they say.

Does anyone out there have any insight on this?[/quote]

There shouldn’t be such strict rules for NCAA teams.[/quote]

As long as the colors contrast enough, it shouldn’t matter for any level of any sport.

We’ve all got color TV’s now, and don’t need to worry about which shade of gray a particular team is anymore.

• KT | November 22, 2006 at 2:26 pm |

[quote comment=”24329″][quote comment=”24321″]Minna H,

You know, NTU isn’t exactly known for it’s smarts.[/quote]

Irony.

• Patrick O'Donnell | November 22, 2006 at 2:32 pm |

[quote comment=”24284″][quote comment=”24214″]I guess my KC Chiefs won’t be wearing alternate unis. They have the same uni for decades, so, really, they always wear a throwback. Let’s just hope they never try this at home ever again.[/quote]
    What’s wrong w/ the Chef’s white on white look? It’s sweet, the pants stripes standout so much more that way, and you can’t be red/gold as a combo. Don’t be down, be proud of your Chefs, baby.[/quote]

See comment 75. I like the look just not at home. The stripes all match and it looks nice. But the Chiefs should ALWAYS wear red at home.

On another note, it’s always bothered me that the helmet arrowhead has black trim while the uni has yellow. The arrowhead needs to “ditch the black.” All and all though, the Chiefs’ uni are vastly underrated in my opinion.

• Jackie | November 22, 2006 at 2:33 pm |

How about this for logo creep. Dontrelle Willis has tatooed the logo of his agent. See this link http://images.rodale... which is pretty lenghty but describes why he did it.

At least the kicker could wash off his Nike Swoosh.

• Broker75 | November 22, 2006 at 2:37 pm |

“Let’s face it: a paint-by-numbers fashion foul.”[/quote]

How could anyone cut up an original six uniform??!What’s this world coming to.wow

• Brinke Guthrie | November 22, 2006 at 2:43 pm |

[quote comment=”24217″]Paul McFadden,who played for Buddy Ryan’s
    Philadelphia Eagles in the mid 1980s,was a
    barefoot kicker. He wore number 8.[/quote]

Speaking of the Iggles…does this make sense?

Foxsports:
    “Quarterback Jeff Garcia will replace Donovan McNabb as Philadelphia Eagles starting night quarterback Sunday against Indianapolis.”

So he just starts the nighttime games. I see.

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | November 22, 2006 at 2:45 pm |

• Broker75 | November 22, 2006 at 2:46 pm |

Here we go side by side. sheesh

• Minna H | November 22, 2006 at 2:53 pm |

I think another intriguing question is what we’d get Paul. I have to think about it.

Oh! Houndstooth coat for Clay. Nordique sweater for Teebz. A Giants’ win for Ek. I’m sure I’ll think of more.

• mg12 | November 22, 2006 at 2:53 pm |

Artist’s rendering.[/quote]
    I am not sure this is the player you had in mind, but he is one of the star players on Concordia’s basketball team. Even Canada is not safe from logo creep.[/quote]

I did come across these jewels.

• Matthew S. | November 22, 2006 at 2:56 pm |

[quote comment=”24277″][quote comment=”24274″][quote comment=”24264″] …Most men’s and women’s suit jackets have buttons on the sleeve cuffs, sometimes with faux-buttonhole stitching, but it’s rare that these are actually functional buttons with real buttonholes (and rarer still that anyone ever actually unbuttons them). [/quote]
    I read somewhere that Napoleon had buttons put on the sleeves of his men’s jackets to keep them from wiping their noses on them.[/quote]

I actually recall reading a few years ago that ornamental sleeve buttons originated in the late 19th century when Queen Victoria was visiting a Royal Navy warship, the HMS Blazer. For the Queen’s visit the captain of the ship had his men dress in navy blue serge coats and to keep them from wiping their faces on the sleeves (a common practice for sailors who had misplaced their neck scarves), the captain ordered that brass buttons be sewn on the sleeves.

Both stories are interesting, but I get the feeling that the actual origination of this is far less interesting.

• MetsFan AZ | November 22, 2006 at 2:57 pm |

[quote comment=”24341″][quote comment=”24279″][quote comment=”24268″][quote comment=”24265″][quote comment=”24253″]Just curious, did anyone find an image of the Yale kicker with Nike logo drawn on his foot?[/quote]

Artist’s rendering.[/quote]

I did come across these jewels.

Is one of those Ek?

• Broker75 | November 22, 2006 at 3:00 pm |

Do this collar qualify for the MLB collared uni’s back in the day?

• Minna H | November 22, 2006 at 3:03 pm |

For the special woman in Paul’s life:

striped goodness

or here:

more stripes

or here:

my personal favorite

Merry Christmas, Paul!

• Chistopher | November 22, 2006 at 3:03 pm |

Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink plays for Celtic in the Scottish Premier League. Since Celtic put their names on the back of their jerseys, he has what amounts to a hyphenated name on the back of his jersey as you can see here on the tops of his Wikipedia page

here

what is interesting is that other Celtic players do not have a arched name, instead their names are straight
    here
    I’m hoping to find a better picture of his nameplate to post here later.

• Minna H | November 22, 2006 at 3:10 pm |

here

here
    I’m hoping to find a better picture of his nameplate to post here later.[/quote]

Christopher, this has been mentioned before. Here are some pics:

really long name

my god is it long

does it ever end?

• Joe Hilseberg | November 22, 2006 at 3:11 pm |

COOL WEBSITE ALERT!!!

Check out these retro soccer jerseys for sale!

• Kevin K | November 22, 2006 at 3:44 pm |

so i thought the lions were wearing their black unis tomorrow? are they going throwback?

• diz | November 22, 2006 at 3:46 pm |

[quote comment=”24348″][quote comment=”24347″]Concerning the Long Names discussions that we hae here, I just found a soccer doozy.

here

here

Christopher, this has been mentioned before. Here are some pics:

really long name

my god is it long

does it ever end?[/quote]

a few years ago, they had a goalkeeper called Javier Sanchez Broto, who took up two lines. Still looking for a pic from then

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | November 22, 2006 at 3:46 pm |

[quote comment=”24340″][quote comment=”24338″]last week i suggested the idea of having an end of the year ekky awards. with minna’s talk of getting polamol-ass as a christmas gift, that got me wondering what each of us other bloggers would get for xmas from paul or other readers.[/quote]

todd, I want all of Troy P., not just his ass. You don’t get anything for Christmas because the Cardinals won the World Series.[/quote]

• Broker75 | November 22, 2006 at 3:55 pm |

Is this you Minna? If it is, HOW YOU doing..wink

• Austin Gray | November 22, 2006 at 4:07 pm |

• KT | November 22, 2006 at 4:16 pm |

If that’s Minna, you can see one of her naughty bits. ;)

• Broker75 | November 22, 2006 at 4:28 pm |

Coming Soon to the NFL.

• Warren Thompson | November 22, 2006 at 4:41 pm |

[quote comment=”24355″]The red vs blue argument reminds me of when UCLA and USC used to play each other in the ’70s or ’80s, and both teams wore their home unis because both teams were playing at home. The jerseys fully fit the requirements of being high-contrast, and it allowed both teams to wear their hallowed colors. I like it.[/quote]

Yes, and even earlier both teams employed a version of the single-wing, and that made for an interesting game to watch. You never knew which back would eventually end up as the ultimate ball-carrier.

(BTW I assume UCLA was the very first team to sport jersey shoulder-stripes.)

• Paul Lukas | November 22, 2006 at 4:48 pm |

[quote comment=”24341″]Thanks for the sketch Paul. You are quite the artist. I was looking for some swoosh tattoos. I seem to remember seeing a couple NBA players with some, but I came up empty.[/quote]

This seems like a good time to revive the third entry ever to appear on this blog — look here.

• Burrill Strong | November 22, 2006 at 5:16 pm |

For Christmas, I think I would get Minna the North Stars and Lakers.

• Minna H | November 22, 2006 at 5:27 pm |

[quote comment=”24353″]Is this you Minna? If it is, HOW YOU doing..wink[/quote]

• Minna H | November 22, 2006 at 5:30 pm |

[quote comment=”24352″]

…and the tarheels are #2 in the nation, AND DOOK LOST LAST NIGHT!!!! but c’mon, i still want a gift! i dont want the anthracite/bituminous option. something in a size, sue bird i’ll take.[/quote]

todd, the best I can do:

tasty bird

You get me Polamalu, and I’ll see what I can do about Sue.

• Minna H | November 22, 2006 at 5:32 pm |

[quote comment=”24356″]If that’s Minna, you can see one of her naughty bits. ;)[/quote]

KT, she’s one big naughty bit. Nice site, by the way. Did we Uni-Watch it?

• Minna H | November 22, 2006 at 5:33 pm |

Also, I would get Paul some antidepressants for the Mets. It might help them Ditch the Black.[/quote]

• Brian from Short Island | November 22, 2006 at 5:40 pm |

here

here
    Ahh, Hoops talk…

In the SPL, just like in the EPL, all teams use the same size and shape numbers during league play. Therefore, they can’t shrink VoH’s name, so they arch it.

C’mon the Hoops!

• Andy from KC | November 22, 2006 at 5:42 pm |

[quote comment=”24305″][quote comment=”24292″]

Andy #11, that’s how I read it, too. It seemed like that pic of Bryant’s buns was being posted on here every other day for a while. Me, I don’t mind seeing it over and over again, but I presume most folk on this site feel differently.[/quote]

Yes, that’s it exactly. Sorry if it wasn’t more clear. I’m not judging Bryant on the basis of his DUI, I just don’t want to see his ass anymore!

• Minna H | November 22, 2006 at 5:53 pm |

Tattoo branding at its finest. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry:

may cause indigestion

The salient part:

“I used to believe that a good product sold itself,” says Knight, who like many of his employees sports a Nike “swoosh” tattoo, his on his left calf.

Then the killer, also from Knight:

“When I first went to meet with Wieden and Kennedy [Nike’s Portland-based ad agency], I told them: ‘I don’t like advertising.’ And I’m still uneasy with it.”

• Giancarlo | November 22, 2006 at 6:11 pm |

Titans tried it a few weeks ago and they had the white helmet on top of it. Colts and Dolphins seem to do it and the Cardinals from time to time.[/quote]

Notice how you phrased that – as if wearing white on white is a special thing that teams “do” or “try.” Whereas that look was for years in the NFL & AFL essentially the default ensemble for away unis & some teams’ home unis.

I agree, though, that it doesn’t always work. This year’s Redskins wear one of the most hideous unis I’ve ever seen in the pros, even without adding a Nike-type design element to actively uglify it a la the Broncos.

• Shane | November 22, 2006 at 6:21 pm |

[quote comment=”24349″]COOL WEBSITE ALERT!!!

Check out these retro soccer jerseys for sale![/quote]

Another good retro soccer shirt site (wicked alliteration) is Toffs. I got a really nice 1958 Man United shirt from there.

• ACC (the Brain) | November 22, 2006 at 6:40 pm |

[quote comment=”24374″][quote comment=”24328″][quote comment=”24247″]I love the Chiefs’ all-white look. Have to say, I really don’t get the general distaste for all-white on this board. To me it’s such a classic NFL look. How could you deny the power of this; this; or this?[/quote]

I wonder if in the future it will be considered noteworthy when a MLB team wears all-whites.[/quote]

Yes exactly. Back in the 60s there were not as many uni combos and I doubt much thought went into the color pants for each game. But these days in all sports players and coaches want to have a say in every aspect of their unis every game. Baseball more so than football but football too with respect to pants. Don’t forget the Colts were blue-pants during Marchibroda years, Dolphins wore aqua pants during the late Shula years. Someone had to decide to go back to white.

• bj | November 22, 2006 at 7:34 pm |

forgive me if this has been mentioned previously, because it’s new to me.

since ESPN is showing a bunch of highlights related to Thanksgiving, they’ve shown the Flutie Hail Mary play a bunch. But having seen this play for years (as a UM fan no less), I just noticed that nobody ever told Flutie how to put his chinstrap on properly.
    As you can see here, Flutie was wearing his chinstrap over the side of his facemask, a doofus move that makes his football abilities even more improbable.

Later in his career, when there were professionals who handled his equipment, Flutie corrected his problem.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything as dorky looking done by someone as well-respected as Flutie is.

• Eric G. | November 22, 2006 at 7:45 pm |

Holy shit.
    The worst of both worlds. [college football, women’s wear]
    Prepare your guns.

• Jeff | November 22, 2006 at 7:52 pm |

[quote comment=”24379″]Holy shit.
    The worst of both worlds. [college football, women’s wear]
    Prepare your guns.[/quote]
    Wow. That’s awful!

• Minna H | November 22, 2006 at 8:52 pm |

Matthew S., thanks for adding another great sleeve button story. According to this, however, neither can be true:

unhand my buttons!

The pertinent paragraph:

There is no reason to believe that Frederick the Great (ruler of Prussia from 1740 to 1786) caused buttons to be sewn onto his soldier’s clothing to prevent them from wiping their noses on their sleeves. Though it is a good story, earlier paintings of men wearing buttons on their sleeves make this fanciful explanation difficult to accept. The coat sleeve is unbuttoned in a painting by Jean-Baptiste-Simeon Chardin, (French 1699-1779, “The House of Cards, c. 1735); and a man wearing a coat with many buttons as fasteners to a close-fitting lower sleeve (Franz Hals, Dutch c. 1580-1666, “Portrait of an Officer, c. 1640) show functional usage well before that date.

Damn. I like the ‘no wiping your nose on your sleeve’ explanation.

• KT | November 22, 2006 at 9:04 pm |

[quote comment=”24377″]Don’t forget the Colts were blue-pants during Marchibroda years.[/quote]

IIRC (and I covered the team then), they wore the blue pants in the 1995 home opener, played horribly and lost to Cincinnati and put them away.

• Allison | November 22, 2006 at 9:04 pm |

Just found this on Sports Illustrated’s “Turkey of the Year” photo collection. Of course, I have seen worse.

I can’t wait to see what you guys talk about during the Tour de France…

• Minna H | November 22, 2006 at 9:11 pm |

I can’t wait to see what you guys talk about during the Tour de France…[/quote]

• Allison | November 22, 2006 at 9:46 pm |

[quote comment=”24385″][quote comment=”24384″]Since I’ve been lurking around this site only for a month, I’m not sure how much you talk about biking. But their uniforms usually make me laugh, cringe, do a double-take, or sometimes all three.

I can’t wait to see what you guys talk about during the Tour de France…[/quote]

Allison, we don’t usually talk about biking, but I’m sure there will be people more than willing to contribute if you do. When I saw that pic of Landis, I did a double-take. The color, the team in huge lettering and repeated everywhere, but mostly, the crotch emphasis….Waaay too much info, even for me.[/quote]

I’m not that into biking or talking about it, but the uni caught my attention. Good to see I’m not the only one disturbed by the crotch emphasis.

Happy (slightly early) Thanksgiving to everyone!

• Noonan | November 22, 2006 at 10:12 pm |

[quote comment=”24254″][quote comment=”24247″]I love the Chiefs’ all-white look. Have to say, I really don’t get the general distaste for all-white on this board. To me it’s such a classic NFL look. How could you deny the power of this; this; or this?[/quote]

There is no excuse for this though.[/quote]
    I agree, stripes make the difference. The other BIG difference to me is white unis didn’t stay white (unless you were playing at Houston) in the 70s. There is too much turf today, whites stay white and that’s just unnatural to me when watching football.

• Zach | November 22, 2006 at 10:17 pm |

I know there was the issue of windbreakers under jerseys a few weeks ago and I found another interesting case. I was watching ESPN classic which was showing the 1995 Florida – Florida State game. All of the sudden, they show the Florida punter with a windbreaker on under his jersey. It did not look like it would be easy if there was a bad snap. I was wondering if anyone would know where to find a photo of this?

• Burrill | November 22, 2006 at 11:19 pm |

[quote comment=”24366″][quote comment=”24362″]For Christmas, I think I would get Minna the North Stars and Lakers.

Ahhh, Burrill. That is much more realistic than *sigh* Troy P. For you, I’d get a rematch between OSU and Michigan for the national championship.[/quote]

You’re too kind. I can’t accept that! Well, okay, maybe I can.

I think I would get Teebz a return to Canada for the Stanley Cup this year.

• Al | November 22, 2006 at 11:43 pm |

[quote comment=”24238″][quote comment=”24233″]
    I loved those 70’s face masks too.

Joe Willie

and Griese to name just two.[/quote]

Both the old cowcatcher Schutt masks and the Dungards are outlawed because the mask itself is screwed directly to the helmet and doesn’t flex like current ones attached by straps. The lack of flexability led to more neck injuries.[/quote]

I think Joe Willie donned the Schutt cowcatcher right after the supe’ victory. Later on, in the twilight of his career he used another 3 bar mask that is more squared off and appears to be a older brother of the Marino/aikman/Kelly 3 bar mask.

• Minna H | November 22, 2006 at 11:53 pm |

[quote comment=”24392″][quote comment=”24366″]

You’re too kind. I can’t accept that! Well, okay, maybe I can.

I think I would get Teebz a return to Canada for the Stanley Cup this year.[/quote]

• Matt | November 23, 2006 at 12:02 am |

• Al | November 23, 2006 at 12:08 am |

[quote comment=”24300″][quote comment=”24287″]
    Skott,

Yer a youngster :)

Later.[/quote]

Al, you should recheck Helmet Hut – those were Dungard masks, not Schutt. Also, I can’t see the Ferrigamo photo (blocked where I’m at right now) but I primarily remember him wearing the same model that Csonka wore, not the smaller version worn by Bob Griese and Terry Bradshaw (although Bradshaw switched to the version that mounted all the way at the top of the helmet by the time they made their first Super Bowl).[/quote]
    Thanks John, I was operating strictly on memory… bad move, uh?
    I share your assumption that Vince was wearing the Czonka model during the Rams/Steelers game. funny, I always think back to Bradshaw’s career and consider the shift from the small Dungard to the more modern facemask as the ‘demarkation point’in the Steelers from a smashmouth team to a more dynamic passing team…. (sorry, i’m babbling.)

• Minna H | November 23, 2006 at 12:25 am |

I am thankful for:

Cy Young winner
    Batting Champ
    MVP
    Troy Polamalu’s fine …hair

Mostly, in the realm of sports, I am grateful to this guy for the best damn uni-watching site ever. Thanks for all your hard work, Paul, and thanks, guys, for all the spirited discussions. May all you (Amercians) enjoy Turkey Day, and may the kitties wear these tomorrow, which will please me to no end.

Have fun, and be safe y’all.

• matt1977 | November 23, 2006 at 12:38 am |

Browns to wear some pretty neat throwbacks this weekend.

• matt1977 | November 23, 2006 at 12:39 am |

• matt1977 | November 23, 2006 at 12:41 am |

• matt1977 | November 23, 2006 at 12:42 am |

I’m obviously an idiot and can’t post links. It was easier w/o the button.

• Burrill | November 23, 2006 at 1:38 am |

[quote comment=”24395″]
    That’s an excellent present for Teebz. As for you, maybe a new lens for your camera so you can take pics at the Michigan-OSU rematch? I like your site, Burrell. You have a good eye. Hell, you have two good eyes and a nice beard, too.[/quote]

Hey, I never turn down a new lens. You caught me in the right mood, too; I just photographed a high school hockey game tonight. I forgot how much fun that was.

(Most common comment about my beard: “It’s really getting long.”)

• Terry Mark | November 23, 2006 at 1:43 am |

[quote comment=”24363″][quote comment=”24353″]Is this you Minna? If it is, HOW YOU doing..wink[/quote]

Broker75, color the hair black (‘coz I ‘m Asian), make the eyes slightly smaller, and I still wouldn’t look that hot![/quote]

Minna H, I never would have pegged you as Asian since, you know, we all look alike. ;-) Happy Thanksgiving from one Asian Uni-freak to another.

By the way, I know I’m relatively new around here (I’ve posted a handful of times but have mostly lurked), but can someone get for me a sixth NCAA title for my beloved Indiana HOosiers?

• Terry Mark | November 23, 2006 at 1:44 am |

Oops! I mean Hoosiers. Typing too fast!

• Minna H | November 23, 2006 at 2:15 am |

[quote comment=”24408″]Oops! I mean Hoosiers. Typing too fast![/quote]

Terry Mark, you’re Asian, too? Cool! A Midwest Asiad person to boot. Nifty. I will work on the Hoosier champianship for you if you work on any MN championship for me. Would love a World Series most of all, but again, beggars can’t be choosers.

Or you can get me this:

y u m

I thought I was the only Asian. If there are more of us out there (especially females), give a shout-out please. Power to the people.

p.s. Mark in Shiga, you get honorary membership into the club, mostly because your girlfriend has an awesome name.

• Minna H | November 23, 2006 at 2:22 am |

[quote comment=”24405″][quote comment=”24395″]

(Most common comment about my beard: “It’s really getting long.”)

Uni comment: Chelsea wore dark blue uniforms with diagonal (yellow) lettering. The lettering was nice, but I wasn’t sure about the thick yellow stripes at the bottom. I might have gone with thinner stripes. But they’re still pleasant unis. I’ll post a shot after I process the pictures. Since we’ve seen lots of high school football unis, I figure I’ll try to start a parade of high school hockey unis.[/quote]

Burrill, you know we like the hockey on this site. Well, some of us do, anyway. I like the beard because it adds character to your face. As for long, my hair goes down to my ass, so your beard didn’t seem that long to me.

You should post more pics here—I like your style.

• Michael Churchill | November 23, 2006 at 8:40 am |

I think it’s great that Rob Hart got a namecheck. I followed his career because he is from my hometown (Southampton, England). Rob still holds the career scoring record in NFL Europe. Because he was not American and “National” players (as they are known) are guaranteed a certain number of roster spots, he stayed in the league from 1998 (with the England Monarchs) to 2004 (with the Scottish Claymores) and scored 361 points (that’s in a 10 game season, by the way), all of them barefooted.

Few US players stay in NFL Europe for more than a couple of years because after that they either find a job in the NFL (like Kurt Warner, Jake Delhomme, Adam Vinatieri etc.) or realise that they’re never going to make it.

• My Name is Not Earl | November 23, 2006 at 8:46 am |

So I’m watching Sportscenter, and they’re showing a Texas Tech basketball practice. Bob Knight is wearing a St. Louis Cardinals pullover, and prominently displayed is a Nike swoosh. That probably won’t sit well with Tech’s uniform supplier (adidas, in case you were wondering).

• old school | November 23, 2006 at 12:22 pm |

Back around 1980 Tulane had a barefoot kicker…and he kicker straight-on! I saw him when they played at Georgia Tech.

• Acc (the brain) | November 23, 2006 at 3:09 pm |

[quote comment=”24396″]As a Dolphin fan, I second comment #79- love white on white, hate aqua on aqua. So does Nick Saben; I read in the Miami Herald last year that he prefers the all-white look, so the aqua pants the Dolphins used to wear on the road are probably gone for good. White on white also looks good on the Colts, IMO.[/quote]

You mean gone for good before Saban is asked to seek employment elsewhere? I predict aqua pants will return in my lifetime.