Muy Loco

ocho1.jpg

In case you somehow missed it on E!, the big uni-related news yesterday was that Chad Johnson wore an “ocho cinco” nameplate during pregame warm-ups (that’s “eight five,” in case you don’t habla Español). He was reportedly told he’d be fined if he wore it during the game, so teammate Carson Palmer reached over shortly before kickoff and removed the nameplate — easy enough to do, since it was only affixed with Velcro — revealing the usual “C. Johnson” underneath.

The media, predictably, is treating this as a typical wide receiver “Look at me!” stunt, like Terrell Owens’s Sharpie or Joe Horn’s cell phone. But that’s not a good comparison, because those were essentially solo pranks, while Johnson needed help to pull this one off. Who made that nameplate for him? The fabric and typography appear to match the Bengals’ standard specs, so did Reebok make it? Did the equipment manager have it made? Did the team’s stitching vendor do it? And who put the Velcro around the edges of Johnson’s regular nameplate? Someone did some major aiding and abetting here, and I’d very much like to know who it was.

Also, if this is the NFL’s latest attempt to court the Hispanic audience, they’d better wise up regarding the proper numerical translations. Fortunately, reader Jeff Israel has provided a helpful tutorial.

Paging Messrs. Krevanchi and Mihalik: An interesting footwear query came in last night from Joaquin Jang, who quoted the following bit from Scott Ostler’s column in yesterday’s San Francisco Chronicle:

Jorgen Klinsmann is seen as the coach who could lead U.S. soccer out of the wilderness of mediocrity, and talks have begun. Insiders say one stumbling block is shoes. U.S. soccer is a Nike operation, and Klinsmann has strong ties to Adidas. Maybe Klinsmann could do what Darryl Dawkins did one game when he had overlapping contracts with two rival shoe companies. He wore one of each.

“Dawkins played before I began following the NBA,” says Jang, “so I’d never heard of him wearing two different shoes at the same time. Have you? Any photographic evidence of it?”

As many of you know, I’m not particularly sneaker-centric, so this was all news to me. I did some very quick photo research but the pics of Chocolate Thunder that I found all showed him wearing matched footwear. Also, it’s worth noting that several of the items in Ostler’s column are clearly meant to be jokes, and this might be one of them. Any sneaker-heads out there care to enlighten us?

Horn-Toot Dept.: The one-two punch of the Bill Buckner and Kenny Rogers stories has resulted in some nice media coverage for Uni Watch. Check out these testimonials from the Baltimore Sun, Newsday, the Minneapolis Star Tribune, and the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Showing off? Nope (well, okay, maybe a little) — I just wanted you all to see that more and more people are starting to Get It™, which is good news for those of us who already do. Also, reader input and contributions are a huge part of Uni Watch — I literally couldn’t do it without you folks — so feel free to take a share of the credit for those glowing reviews.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Really love your team’s colors? Home Depot will let you paint your house with them (tip o’ the cap to the always-colorful Mike from Queens). … Paul Stastny has changed his uniform number from 62 to 26. “62 was to honor his dad (in reverse, since Peter wore 26), but now he’s just going with the direct approach,” explains John Griebel. … “Technically, these qualify as a uniform change,” says Nicole Haase. Full details here. … Why doesn’t Chris Hovan just get it over with and wear a toga already? … Good stuff you may have missed from recent Comments sections: Nice article here about college football merit decals (with thanks to Jill Horn). … Tony LaRussa appears to have been wearing some sort of stick pin just under the “StL” logo on his undershirt. … Adam Vinatieri was wearing an undershirt with striped sleeves yesterday. Anyone know the brand? … John Muir notes that Vancouver goalie Robert Luongo’s alternate mask features the team’s old Johnny Canuck logo on the side. Full details on that seldom-seen logo here.

180 comments to Muy Loco

• Cork | October 30, 2006 at 9:40 am |

• Anthony the Rutgers Fan | October 30, 2006 at 9:40 am |

Klinsman should be allowed to wear whatever he wants. However, I can see where a problem would arise if he was expected to put on a nike branded USA soccer t-shirt or warm-up suit

• Matt B | October 30, 2006 at 9:42 am |

I’m positive the players aren’t required to wear Nikes on the field (many of them have their own contracts). JK can always wear street shoes if Nike/Adidas is an issue for management.

Captain America wearing Adidas Predators in this year’s WM

• Anthony the Rutgers Fan | October 30, 2006 at 9:42 am |

Cork beat me to number one post. Even though we technically posted at the exact same time.

• Robert | October 30, 2006 at 9:57 am |

• Mark Mihalik | October 30, 2006 at 10:01 am |

• Robert | October 30, 2006 at 10:03 am |

I was watching a Mexican soccer game this weekend and one of the players on CD Guadalajara (Chivas) had uniform number 100.

I also remember watching a Chilean soccer game a while back and one of the goalies wore 188.

• Doc | October 30, 2006 at 10:04 am |

Paul,

• Chris Hilf | October 30, 2006 at 10:10 am |

That helmet decal article is interesting. It says Pitt doesn’t wear their anymore. I noticed this earlier in their season. They used to – even recently. I will investigate to see if I can find out why they stopped.

• Ed Gaug | October 30, 2006 at 10:13 am |

As an ex-lineman, I wish has my jersey sleeves cut like that. I had full sleeves with the massive lineman pads and you simply couldn’t move you arms past 90 degrees. Practice jerseys were actually much more comfortable because they were loose and had half sleeves.

• Phil | October 30, 2006 at 10:13 am |

Paul,

I’d like your opinion on Maryland’s undershirts also.

Plus, what on earth are the things college football players are wearing on their arms? Here’s a pic.

• Mark Mihalik | October 30, 2006 at 10:16 am |

[quote comment=”17441″]While I don’t know about Chocolate Thunder’s mismatching (sorry Paul, but I’ll look into it), this reminds me of when Ron Artest definitely did play in mismatching shoes. When he played in the 2004 All-Star Game, he felt that being an All-Star made him deserving of a big-time shoe contract, so he wore four different shoes in the first half of the game (mismatching them all). I’m pretty sure he wore Nike, adidas, And1, and DaDa, but I’m not sure… I’ll get pictures in a bit.[/quote]

Here are the pictures… sorry I couldn’t get any better ones without the Getty overlay. He’s #23.

Dada and And 1
    Nike and adidas

• Joe Hilseberg | October 30, 2006 at 10:21 am |

[quote comment=”17443″]Paul,

What did you think of the all black Under Armour uniforms worn by Maryland on Saturday Night against Florida State. and how about the long sleeves shirt worn underneath the jersey.[/quote]

You beat me to it! Here are 2 pics….

I don’t mind the black jerseys at all when paired with the white pants. All black would be a nightmare!!!

• Joe Hilseberg | October 30, 2006 at 10:23 am |

Here’s the 2nd pic

• Chris Doran | October 30, 2006 at 10:27 am |

• Paul Lukas | October 30, 2006 at 10:28 am |

[quote comment=”17443″]Paul, What did you think of the all black Under Armour uniforms worn by Maryland on Saturday Night against Florida State.[/quote]

Not a fan of all the extraneous piping and such. But I think the red-trimmed undersleeves actually look pretty swank. Two simple red stripes — so much better than all the gobbledygook Nike usually puts on sleeves.

Additional photo galleries available here.

• Matt B | October 30, 2006 at 10:35 am |

They make the upper arms narrower at the shoulders and elbows, giving the biceps better definition. These guys really want to show off their 24 inch pythons.

• Mark in Shiga | October 30, 2006 at 10:37 am |

[quote comment=”17442″]On an different note – has anyone come across examples of three digit uniform numbers for athletes?

Does anyone know of more examples? Or does anyone know if this is allowed in any of the major sports leagues in the US?[/quote]

Robert, there have been several examples in the Japanese baseball leagues. Numbers can’t overlap between the big-league team and the JV, so minor leaguers get stuck with numbers in the 50s and 60s, the coaches get the 70s and 80s, and the 90s are left for mid-season signees, bullpen catchers, and BP pitchers. When that’s not enough (particularly with the staffers), they go over 100. Here’s a height-of-fashion #102 Buffaloes jacket, and the same team’s red jersey. Here’s an Orix Blue Wave BP pitcher jersey #104, and this is a Carp interpreter wearing 120.

Where things really get interesting is with the new system (started in 2006) of “developmental players”. They aren’t eligible to be called up to the majors and are paid pittances. Most of the teams decided to squeeze these guys in with the staffers in the low 100s, but the Chunichi Dragons went a step further!

I can’t wait to see what happens if a Japanese team decides to create a whole chain of teams, Branch Rickey-style. They’ll end up looking like the guy on the right.

• Tom | October 30, 2006 at 10:40 am |

Some nice socks stripes in this picture.

• Gary | October 30, 2006 at 10:49 am |

• Mark Mihalik | October 30, 2006 at 10:51 am |

I’m guessing that Vinatieri’s undershirt is this, a Reebok shirt. It’s the only one I could find with white piping, and you can see a visible white line leading up to Vinatieri’s collar in this photo. Since Vinatieri wears Reebok cleats (most athletes wear consistently branded equipment), this would be logical…

• JJD | October 30, 2006 at 10:59 am |

I tried to find a photo but haven’t been successful so far.

• Lou | October 30, 2006 at 11:00 am |

I have to agree with you. It is far more offensive to see these guy’s underarms than to see someone with an untucked jersey or socks that are too low. I have no idea what the NFL is thinking here but this look is DISGUSTING and something needs to be done about it.

Maybe Paul could start another petition!

• Steve | October 30, 2006 at 11:08 am |

Watching the Giants game yesterday, my sister made an interesting point. Frank Gifford and some other oldsters were on hand for an anniversary celebration, but while the Giants were wearing blue, Gifford was wearing white…to the casual fan, it didn’t even look like they were representing the same team.

• Chris Doran | October 30, 2006 at 11:10 am |

[quote comment=”17466″][quote comment=”17440″]The exposed armpits of NLF linemen are seriously grossing me out. For a league that is usually worried about players keeping their shirts tucked in and so forth, the NFL has really dropped the ball on this one. Barf.[/quote]

Maybe Paul could start another petition![/quote]

From the makers of “Ditch the Black”…comes “Punt the Pits!!!”

• Mark in Shiga | October 30, 2006 at 11:13 am |

I tried to find a photo but haven’t been successful so far.[/quote]

• Jonathon | October 30, 2006 at 11:16 am |

[quote comment=”17443″]Paul,

Auburn, also an Under Armour school, is wearing similar undershirts. Paul referenced them a few weeks ago after the Auburn-South Carolina game. David Irons, in particular, likes to wear them.

• Banker Bill | October 30, 2006 at 11:19 am |

Easier than putting the Spanish version of “Hey, look at me with my Golden Mohawk and gold teeth – never mind the fact that normally, I couldn’t score if I walked into a $5 whorehouse with a fistful of $100’s.”

But I digress….

• Jim | October 30, 2006 at 11:19 am |

Ment to post this last week. Article about Rex Grossman’s chinstrap.

• Jonathon | October 30, 2006 at 11:19 am |

Jags looked good in the white-on-whites yesterday in Philly. They also looked good in kicking Philly’s behind up and down the field.

• Bill | October 30, 2006 at 11:26 am |

any images of the new “purdue pete” merit decals referenced in the article?

• MetsFan AZ | October 30, 2006 at 11:26 am |

I tried to find a photo but haven’t been successful so far.[/quote]

Maybe more than one player can’t occupy the same number in the same game. Had Douglas punted previously in that game?[/quote]

• Matt R. | October 30, 2006 at 11:32 am |

I believe that the college rule is that players with the same number can’t be on the field at the same time. Generally, therefore, when players share the same number, one is an offensive player and the other is a defensive player. Not sure why Washington made the player change his number.

• Mark Mihalik | October 30, 2006 at 11:33 am |

Getting back to the Darryl Dawkins thing… I couldn’t find any photos of the incident (it may have only been for one game, and there’s not extensive archived photos from back in the 80s), but it appears that this happened in 1982. This article references the incident at the bottom, and I found a New York Times article that discusses a 1982 “sneaker war” between Nike and Pony over Dawkins. Here’s an excerpt:

Darryl Dawkins’s feet belonged to Nike. So when the center of the Philadelphia 76ers showed up on the basketball court in May wearing shoes made by Pony Sports & Leisure, there was big trouble. What galled Nike officials most was that Mr. Dawkins, known as ”Chocolate Thunder,” had asked for, and received, a $20,000 advance on his $50,000-a-year endorsement contract only a few weeks before his defection. Then, too, Mr. Dawkins’s shoe switch came in the middle of the National Basketball Association playoffs -when his feet would be most conspicuous – and left Nike with 20,000 useless ”Chocolate Thunder” posters. Nike promptly sued Mr. Dawkins, striking the first legal blow in what could become an all-out sneaker war.

So, I’m assuming this story is true… it would be great if we could find a photo, though.

• John Ekdahl | October 30, 2006 at 11:34 am |

[quote comment=”17474″][quote comment=”17436″]Yes, technically ochenta y cinco would be correct, but in Chad’s defense (it pains me to do it), he always refers to himslef as eight five, so in this case ocho cinco is probably the better way to go.[/quote]

But I digress….[/quote]
    I’m prefer “…score in a women’s prison with a fistful of pardons”

• Mark Mihalik | October 30, 2006 at 11:36 am |

Another humorous part of that Times article, however, was this:

Mr. Werkschul said Nike had also terminated contracts with about a half-dozen athletes who had used Nike’s logo on another brand of shoe. Charges that Mike Schmidt of the Philadelphia Phillies was wearing shoes with a doctored logo once came up as a peripheral matter in a tangled antitrust suit between Brooks and Nike, but apparently neither side thought Mr. Schmidt was acting in bad faith.

Reminds me of when Doug Mientkiewicz put an adidas logo on Nike cleats (he was under contract with adidas) last year.

• Mike Miller | October 30, 2006 at 11:44 am |

• tedkerwin | October 30, 2006 at 11:47 am |

• WVU Tom | October 30, 2006 at 11:48 am |

[quote comment=”17443″]Paul,

They weren’t all black, at least they wore white pants to prevent the “unitard” look. Not sure how I felt about them–black has always been a Maryland color (as the state flag is black/yellow/red/white, same as school colors), but it pains that 99% of the time alternate jerseys like these are the result of a marketing ploy, and not a desire to improve a teams on-field appearance.

• New Orleans | October 30, 2006 at 11:50 am |

Football jerseys should have sleeves… perhaps short sleeves, but sleeves. More and more football jerseys are coming to resemble basketball jerseys. If the problem is eliminating more fabric that opponenets can grab on to you would think that Nike or some other manufacturer would come up with a design for tight fitting sleeves to eliminate the players’ concerns. With all of the different panels made up of different materials performing different functions on modern football jerseys you would think that grab resistant sleeves would be a no-brainer. I know that in the grander scheme of things this may be a non-issue, but I would like to see football maintain some traditional apearance.

• Lou | October 30, 2006 at 11:55 am |

[quote comment=”17493″]Regarding the Giants honoring the 1956 Championship game, the 1956 players were wearing the white jerseys with red trim, the former Giants wearing blue were past members of the Giants that were not on the 1956 team, hence the different color jerseys. The guys in blue just showed up as part of the ceremony.[/quote]

A lot of younger fans do not seem to realize this, but in the 1950s and early 60s the Giants frequently wore the white jerseys with red trim and red numbers at home.

• Kramer | October 30, 2006 at 11:58 am |

i went onto that room painter thing and searched the schemes for the raiders and mets and wouldn’t you know that there was BLACK for the METS thank god for people unafraid of changes. on a side note the raiders room looked amazingly sharp.

• JFL | October 30, 2006 at 11:59 am |

I tried to find a photo but haven’t been successful so far.[/quote]

I don’t think that’s a rule. U of AZ has two number 1’s a WR/KR and DE. They both start and see plenty of playing time.[/quote]

• Jason | October 30, 2006 at 12:00 pm |

On the Home Depot topic, when my wife and I purchased our house I wanted a “Brewers” room so I had the paint made up at Home Depot. The blue looked really weird, almost purple-ish, but the gold was really cool. I didn’t purchase the “brewers blue” but found a reasonable substitute. My point is if you want to try this, have them make 1 gallon first and check the color. They won’t charge you if you don’t like it. Cool concept, though, and the room is pretty sweet. (If you’re a Brewer fan)

• New Orleans | October 30, 2006 at 12:02 pm |

Jeez… it’s still morning and already two of my pet-peeves have been brought up, duplicate numbers and sleeveless football jerseys. I can go take a nap now…

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | October 30, 2006 at 12:24 pm |

Paging Messrs. Krevanchi and Mihalik:

must be a lehigh valley thing…

• tedkerwin | October 30, 2006 at 12:44 pm |

• Jon | October 30, 2006 at 12:52 pm |

Great post on the Japanese ballplayers in the 100s above.

• Dave | October 30, 2006 at 12:53 pm |

Louisville in all black Thurs night

• John Ekdahl | October 30, 2006 at 12:56 pm |

[quote comment=”17539″]I noticed the Nike counter is gone, is that due to inactivity over the last few weeks?[/quote]
    Yeah. I don’t know whether they stopped visiting or switched to a different IP range. It doesn’t really matter, the point was made.

• Pat | October 30, 2006 at 12:59 pm |

[quote comment=”17459″]Some nice socks stripes in this picture.
    You may also note that that they match the sweater sleeve stripes, if not distracted.[/quote]

Socks?

• Chris | October 30, 2006 at 12:59 pm |

I was at the Titans/Texans game yesterday and sat right behind the Texans bench. I noticed that both David Carr and Sage Rosenfels both have their uni number on their wristbands.

• Andy | October 30, 2006 at 1:00 pm |

• BJ | October 30, 2006 at 1:01 pm |

I mentioned this before, but does anyone know if Nike is coming to its senses regarding their undersleeves? FSU players were wearing a different design the other day.

The upper left sleeve was Garnet, and below the bicep it went to gold. There was also a block of gold on the shoulder. It didn’t have the stupid TriBolt logo (their term, not mine).

Now, it’s not as classy as the UMD version, but a step in the right direction.

• Mike | October 30, 2006 at 1:06 pm |

• Kelli | October 30, 2006 at 1:14 pm |

[quote]From the makers of “Ditch the Black”…comes “Punt the Pits!!!”[/quote]

I prefer ‘Pitch the Pits’, but either way there is a lot of spitting involved.

• BtotheE | October 30, 2006 at 1:25 pm |

Great link. The player who I believe started this trend is Deion Sanders. Cornerbacks followed his lead and it went on to other positions. Not calling Grossman a lier(he made audibles in college, atleast under Spurrier W/it strapped), but you can call out plays with your chinsrap buckled, otherwise Payton Manning would not have a helmet even on. It could be a dangerous trend, an other quarterback that does it on a regular base is Mike Vick, here. and here.

• Steve-O | October 30, 2006 at 1:27 pm |

[quote comment=”17490″]I know this may be sacreligious, but I think the NFL may need to go away from the zebra stripes for officials and into another color. I had a really hard time yesterday watching the Jags-Eagles game picking out the officials from the Jags players. The Jags were wearing all-white with black trim and black helmets which is pretty similar to a referee uniform.

Maybe they need to go the soccer route an have a couple of different referee jerseys.[/quote]

what i really think needs to be done is stop the jaguars from ever wearing those hidious uniforms again. they don’t look so bad when they do white on black, but any team wearing white on white should be kicked out of the league

• Chuck D | October 30, 2006 at 1:30 pm |

Comment #22 –
    The University of Hawai’i Football squad has two players wearing the same uni number for #’s 9, 11, 12, 15, 19, 23, 25, 34, 44, 45 and 58.

Good luck to the public address guy.

• Paul | October 30, 2006 at 1:32 pm |

the same uniform number rule states that the players cant be on the field at the same time. So you can have a punter and a QB with the same number but one has to change if they both have to be on the field. So the third QB probably got the new number instead of the starting punter due to seniority probably

• JJD | October 30, 2006 at 1:33 pm |

[quote comment=”17499″][quote comment=”17483″][quote comment=”17471″][quote comment=”17465″]Kind of a weird deal in the Washington-ASU game from Saturday. The Huskies have lots of double-numbers, and the two guys that wear 17 are punter Sean Douglas and back-back-backup QB Felix Sweetman. When Washington’s QB got injured they had to use Sweetman to hold for placekicks, and they had him don a #40 jersey on top of his #17. I’m not really sure why it was necessary since they Douglas doesn’t take the field for placekicks.

I tried to find a photo but haven’t been successful so far.[/quote]

I am pretty sure the rule is that there can be multiple players wearing the same number as long as they play on opposite sides of the ball. Since, the punter and the quarterback both technically play offense that they both could not wear 17. Thus the new jersey.[/quote]

That doesn’t really make a lot of sense, though. Why would they issue the QB #17 in the first place if he couldn’t have the same number as the punter?

Washington has always had double-numbers. A few years ago in an Apple Cup game they had Reggie Williams play a couple of snaps at corner and he had to put a #19 jersey over his customary #1 because Jafar Williams played LB and he was also #1. THAT scenario makes more sense than it did in this case.

• Steve-O | October 30, 2006 at 1:34 pm |

[quote comment=”17554″][quote]From the makers of “Ditch the Black”…comes “Punt the Pits!!!”[/quote]

I prefer ‘Pitch the Pits’, but either way there is a lot of spitting involved.[/quote]

Even though this trend does look pretty bad, I think it helps the lineman out a ton. I know when I was playing, it was really hard to get my arms out with a full sleeve.

• Adam | October 30, 2006 at 1:35 pm |

[quote comment=”17444″]That helmet decal article is interesting. It says Pitt doesn’t wear their anymore. I noticed this earlier in their season. They used to – even recently.

I will investigate to see if I can find out why they stopped.[/quote]

Pitt got rid of the decals last season, coinciding with their new (at least, last year) uniforms. Not sure why. But the 2004 season was the last sighting.

• Jeff | October 30, 2006 at 1:36 pm |

• Adam | October 30, 2006 at 1:38 pm |

[quote comment=”17462″]Rutgers, who has some of the greatest uniforms in college football, finally manages to get some major network television coverage, and what do they wear. This. Ugh.[/quote]
    Eh. Rutgers mixes up their pant/jersey combos all the time for the all red or all white look. This isn’t the first time they have gone all red this year.

• bluenoser | October 30, 2006 at 1:43 pm |

I think you may be confusing the logo in the middle of Luongo’s mask for that of the evil empire when it is in fact their retro team logo!!

• Adam | October 30, 2006 at 1:45 pm |

[quote comment=”17482″]any images of the new “purdue pete” merit decals referenced in the article?[/quote]
    Not sure what the whole “Purdue Pete” thing is about. It looks like a hammer to me! (like the ones they used on railroad tracks back in the day).

Here’s a pic I cropped for you.

• New Orleans | October 30, 2006 at 1:46 pm |

Duplicate numbers in college football may have something to do with freshman eligibility. Back in the day when a high school quarterback, for example, was signed he was probably given a QB number on the college freshman team. If he changed positions he was usually given a new number appropriate for that position when he made the varsity. Now I would bet that some signees are promised that they’ll be allowed to wear their high school numbers in college. Look at Joseph Addai for example, the ex-LSU running back. He was a high school quarterback and he wore #10, a traditional QB number, at LSU for his entire career as a running back at LSU. You see college linebackers now wearing #10. In fact I saw a college game a few weeks ago on TV (can’t remember which one) in which there were standout players on the same team on offense and defense each wearing #10. It gets a little confusing…

• Andrew F | October 30, 2006 at 1:53 pm |

I think he was talking about the giant RBK that’s attached to said logo

• justin | October 30, 2006 at 1:59 pm |

Regarding UW’s Felix Sweetman wearing #40 over his #17 jersey…

He first came in as the upback on punting formations, so he couldn’t wear #17. He put on the #40 for that, and therefore had to wear it as the placekick holder as well.

• BtotheE | October 30, 2006 at 2:01 pm |

About jersey numbers, Florida State has three #16’s. Two backup quarterbacks and a backup punter. Sidenote, it is also a retired jersey (not number, of Chris Wienke) so players can still wear it.

• JJD | October 30, 2006 at 2:01 pm |

CLARIFICATION: It turns out Sweetman DID actually get in on the punt-coverage team, so he was on the field with Douglas. I thought he was just holding for PATs.

• JJD | October 30, 2006 at 2:02 pm |

Justin beat me to it. Thanks, Justin.

• bluenoser | October 30, 2006 at 2:07 pm |

[quote comment=”17572″][quote comment=”17569″][quote comment=”17452″]Ok, I got used to logo creep on goalie’s pads, glove, blocker and stick, but square in the middle of the mask ?!? Now that’s gonna take a lot to get used to…[/quote]

I think he was talking about the giant RBK that’s attached to said logo[/quote]
    Don’t mind me..1000 apologies, I’ll wake up soon….poker last night, LOL!!

• Chris Hilf | October 30, 2006 at 2:11 pm |

Huh?

• Eric | October 30, 2006 at 2:29 pm |

Johnny Canuck is pretty cool.
    The same website had this pic which shows that the original Vancouver unis had an awesome detail I never saw before: A “V” is carved out of the sleeve stripe by negative space. Very cool

• AJ | October 30, 2006 at 2:30 pm |

• John B. | October 30, 2006 at 2:39 pm |

Sports Business Journal
    October 23-29 Issue // Coast to Coast Section

Sales of Sabres Gear Up 900%

• Andrew | October 30, 2006 at 2:42 pm |

First time commenter here.

• Josh Peterson | October 30, 2006 at 2:43 pm |

• David | October 30, 2006 at 2:58 pm |

[quote comment=”17592″]Didn’t Colorado bring the retired #’s the franchise had in Quebec. Is Petr Stastny’s #26 still retired and he allowed his son to wear it or did Colorado leave all of the other retired #’s behind when the moved south?[/quote]

They unretired all of the Nords numbers when they moved to Colorado in ’96.

• Minna H | October 30, 2006 at 3:01 pm |

Second, Joe H., as I said before, what FSU wore was not true black. The ‘tribute’ uni had some sort of weird greenish tint to it. This is true black, and it looks damn good. Besides, they are the Ravens. They should be in black.

Finally, Mark in Shiga. Yes, I am Asian. The reason my name is spelled with two Ns is because my parents named me after MN as well as because it translates nicely into Chinese (even though we are Taiwanese). There are a few of us up here in the chilly north!

• Mark Mihalik | October 30, 2006 at 3:01 pm |

[quote comment=”17591″]…and there was Ken Griffey Jr.’s brief stint in a Reds #30.[/quote]

Junior wore #30 for six years. He only changed into #3 this season.

• Chad E. | October 30, 2006 at 3:03 pm |

[quote comment=”17586″]At the Indiana-Mich. St. game Saturday I noticed several of the IU players wearing mismatched sleeves-one crimson, one white. IU wears Adidas, not Nike. Is Adidas making mismatched sleeves now too, or could these be self-made shirts?[/quote]

Indiana wears underarmor for underwear. Tracey Porter was wearing the half/half you speak of.

• Minna H | October 30, 2006 at 3:07 pm |

Sports Business Journal
    October 23-29 Issue // Coast to Coast Section

Sales of Sabres Gear Up 900%

The Sabres have the top-selling jersey on NHL.com since their new logo and color scheme last month. Sabers merchandise has accounted for almost 10 percent of all products sold on the Web site. From Sept.12 to Oct. 16, sales of Sabres gear was up almost 900 percent compared with the same period last year. Overall sales on NHL.com this month are up 85 percent compared with 2005.[/quote]

John B., I think sales are up because the jerseys are new, not because of any love for the Buffaslug. As discussed before, many fans will compulsively buy whatever crap the manufacturers throw at them.

• Minna H | October 30, 2006 at 3:08 pm |

Bluenoser. If I’m going to give you a shout-out, I should try to get your name right.

• Kramer | October 30, 2006 at 3:11 pm |

if anyone is bored go onto nflshop.com and look at the new storm sideline gear, and look at those Jerseys

• Mark Fimoff | October 30, 2006 at 3:18 pm |

Sports Business Journal
    October 23-29 Issue // Coast to Coast Section

Sales of Sabres Gear Up 900%

Bring back the original blue and gold with the awesome striped socks.

• Burrill | October 30, 2006 at 3:27 pm |

At the Michigan game Saturday, I sat a few rows behind a guy wearing a black Michigan jersey. I really am getting tired of this — wear the team colors already! At least the guy wearing the retro Sabres jersey was wearing blue and yellow. (And he was wearing a cool jersey.)

Oh, and going back to Friday (I tend not to check the site very often on weekends): my office is in the middle of plant operations, so some of the guys who come into the office are not restricted by any office dress code (just practicality). Hence the man in the problematic Tigers hat.

• BtotheE | October 30, 2006 at 3:32 pm |

[quote comment=”17582″][quote comment=”17574″]Sidenote, it is also a retired jersey (not number, of Chris Wienke) so players can still wear it.[/quote]
    Huh?[/quote]
    Some players have their number retired (2, Deion Sanders, 17, Charle Ward, while others have their jersey retired (For show in the stadium athletic center) such as Weinke(16) and Warrick Dunn(28). Players can wear these numbers, such as Chris Rix changed his number from 15 to 16 after Weinke left, (now three have it) and Lorenzo Booker wears 28. They might have to get permission from the former players to wear it, but I am not sure.

• J. Deaton | October 30, 2006 at 3:34 pm |

• Alex Kibler | October 30, 2006 at 3:56 pm |

I remember going to a soccer game at Elon College several years back, where my father and I were both tickled pink that the Goalie’s number was 911. This was obviously before Septbember 11th, and at the time, it was pretty dang funny.

• jwb | October 30, 2006 at 4:00 pm |

[quote comment=”17598″]
    seen here

actual uniform seen here

• jwb | October 30, 2006 at 4:03 pm |

that didn’t quite work

what i meant to say is the first photo is a photo shopped picture of Leon Washington from a game last year of what the uniform was suppose to look like.

While the second photo was the actual game jersey a “true black” if you must honoring the Seminole Tribes colors of Black, Garnet and Gold.

• Jeff I | October 30, 2006 at 4:05 pm |

Dig the shout-out, thanks Paul.

Time to update my resume… and my computer from MS Paint to Photoshop ha!

• Minna H | October 30, 2006 at 4:05 pm |

Ok. jwb, that looks better, but the unis are way too busy. Plus, I saw part of the game on tv, and the FSU unis did not look true black to me.

Let’s put it this way: that uni is just wrong, regardless of color.

• Nolan | October 30, 2006 at 4:07 pm |

[quote comment=”17557″][quote comment=”17475″]Ment to post this last week. Article about Rex Grossman’s chinstrap.[/quote]

and here.[/quote]

I was going to bring this up the other day, the team pays Mike Vick a $25million signing bonus on top of his salary, and they don’t want him to keep his helmet on?

In the Arizona/Chicago MNF game, Leinart went up to the line for a play and didn’t have either of his straps snapped, what happened? He was sacked and his helmet came off.

I’m sure the team could make them buckle up if they really wanted to, right?

• Kenny | October 30, 2006 at 4:07 pm |

Sorry I’ve been M.I.A. and I haven’t posted at all this weekend, but Halloween weekend was kind of crazy (plus I was too busy being extremely ecstatic over the WS win by STL).

– The Maryland sleeves were OK at best in my
    opinion. FSU’s = hideous

– Loved what Ocho Cinco did. And if my memory is correct, I know baseball players call teammates by their number and when I was playing football we did the same thing – nice block seven four, good move six

The Bears orange jerseys look odd to me. Once a year is good enough to see them, especially when they play the 49ers.

One word: UGLY!!

Brady Quinn’s exposed knees again

Good thing Navy has their name on their jersey otherwise it would look like ND was scrimmaging in Baltimore

R.I.P. Red

• bluenoser | October 30, 2006 at 4:48 pm |

[quote comment=”17601″][quote comment=”17589″]Beauty is in the eye of the Buffalsug…or you might not like the design of the Sabers new identity but apparently 900% more of Sabres fans do.

Sports Business Journal
    October 23-29 Issue // Coast to Coast Section

Sales of Sabres Gear Up 900%

Hey, Teebz, Riley, Kenny, bluenose, ESS (Not sure the initials are right, but there are three, and one is an E), et. al. We’re talking hockey, y’all. Come out and play![/quote]
    Fear not Minna I am listening,and being a current resident of Niagara Falls,On, may have some insight on this particular topic. I was at the home opener of the Sabres against my beloved Habs (don’t get me started) and there were a significant # of the new jerseys but they were being sported mostly by kids, yes the blind masses the NHL does indeed target with the new crap. Speaking to many of the more mature Buffalo fans, they almost unanimously hated the new jersey! Another major factor in the increased sales is the fact that the team is 10-1 and everything Sabres is hot right now, the band-wagon is getting very crowded and everyone is buying the Slug to show their new found pride!! The shame in all of this is that the die hard, long time fan will probably have to put up with the slug as a result of this wave of blindness!!

• Andy | October 30, 2006 at 4:51 pm |

Found it.

• Banker Bill | October 30, 2006 at 4:57 pm |

[quote comment=”17598″]Wow! Busy place today. First of all, Banker Bill and Ek, you guys should do an act together. You guys crack me up with that riff on Ocho Cinco.

p.s. I, too, like the Maryland unis except for the random striping. A nice way to blend the old and the new.[/quote]

Thanks Minna – nice to know that bad humor is still appreciated!

Article on nhl.com about the Washington Capitals wearing WHITE PANTS when they debuted – I had forgotten that. Pics at nhluniforms.com

• Banker Bill | October 30, 2006 at 5:01 pm |

Buccigross is on espn.com by the way – best hockey columnist there is – his mailbag is hilarious every week.

• Vegas4BOC | October 30, 2006 at 5:02 pm |

In this social & politically correct world of ours, it’s pretty cool to see video clips of Red Auerbach smoking a Stogie on the sidelines while in the middle of a game, coaching.

This belongs to the Uniwatch category of accessories. I’d thought it be cool to list coaches that did this during games, etc.

• Vegas4BOC | October 30, 2006 at 5:08 pm |

• Will | October 30, 2006 at 5:12 pm |

Plaxico Burress had the same under shirt with the blue stripe on the inside of the sleeve. i thought it looked pretty cool. Do the Colts and Jints have the same blue?

Love the blog and the column. Keep it up!!

• Banker Bill | October 30, 2006 at 5:13 pm |

No, the Barney Rubble hairpiece has been mentioned many months ago over at the SabresReport.com forum.[/quote]

I didn’t even know about that – I know there’s someone on here that has been calling them that – I just thought it was an obscure way to look at it but apparently it isn’t…

and don’t bust Minna for it – I said it, not her.

• Doug | October 30, 2006 at 5:33 pm |

• Ben Leong | October 30, 2006 at 5:35 pm |

Plaxico Burress wore the blue spandex shirt that people are talking about, and began the game with his usual white mouth piece attached to his chinstrap here:

But later sported an unattached blue mouthguard here:

Michael Strahan started the game with both sleeves:

But finished the game with only the left sleeve:

• Kerry | October 30, 2006 at 5:39 pm |

[quote comment=”17619″]Dig the shout-out, thanks Paul.

Time to update my resume… and my computer from MS Paint to Photoshop ha!

Anyone think the Sabres uni sales is in part to the fact that they overhauled their color scheme and the core fan base doesn’t want to look out of date, no matter how horrendous the unis are?[/quote]
    You read my mind!!!

Also, I would interested to see a breakdown of throwback jersey sales VS new logo sales.

• Minna H | October 30, 2006 at 5:40 pm |

[quote comment=”17636″][quote comment=”17633″][quote comment=”17629″]John Buccigross mentioned the Sabres logo resemblance to “Barney Rubble’s toupee” today – we have someone (I forget who) who has been calling the Sabres the “Barney Rubble Hairpieces” for about a month…you should write him and link to the first time you mentioned it on here!![/quote]

and don’t bust Minna for it – I said it, not her.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. I thought to myself, “I didn’t write that, did I?” It has something to do with how you quote, apparently. Ek, any idea?

• Jeff | October 30, 2006 at 5:40 pm |

Watching KC/Seattle game Sunday. Kansas City home game and they retired Warren Moon’s number. He was 1-for-3 in 1999 and 15-for-34 (1 TD) in 2000. You get your number retired for that?

The interesting part: Moon was wearing an oxford shirt with Seattle Seahawks logo on it – IN KANSAS CITY? Did they surprise him with this and he came unprepared???

• Paul Lukas | October 30, 2006 at 5:44 pm |

More about multiple players with the same number: I just got an e-mail from reader Chad Klenk with all sorts of Ohio State news. One tidbit, which he copied/pasted from an OSU message board, will appeal to everyone who’s been discussing duplicate uni numbers today:

* Not the most important thing, but certainly the most unusual, happened with 30 seconds left in the game and OSU trying desperately to clear its bench and play absolutely everyone. With Todd Denlinger (#92) already on the field, the coaches sent Brett Daly (also #92) onto the field to get a snap as Minnesota faced a 4th and 2. Both Denlinger and Daly realized that both couldn’t be on the field at the same time, and at various times, both tried running off the field to avoid the “illegal participation” penalty. Daly ran back and forth between the line of scrimage and the sideline at least five times, looking like a target at the county fair’s moving target shooting attraction, waving his arms in a “what am I supposed to do?” posture. Tressel himself forced Daly back onto the field at least three times, with more vigor each time, almost shoving him back onto the field at one point. (I still don’t know if Tressel didn’t understand the problem Daly was trying to point out … or if he did understand, but didn’t care whether or not the penalty was called.)

Finally, Daly ran out to play right DE, aligning right next to Denlinger, who was playing the right DT position. As both #92s rushed the passer side by side, Minnesota converted the 4th down … and the refs did NOT throw the flag! After the play, Daly ran off the field shaking his head in disbelief/frustration. Very weird …

• Kerry | October 30, 2006 at 5:44 pm |

Found it.[/quote]
    Uhhhhh, I think that the sleeves are meant to simulate alligator skin.

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | October 30, 2006 at 5:50 pm |

[quote comment=”17646″][quote comment=”17626″][quote comment=”17550″]I was watching a college football game this weekend and saw a team playing where a lot of their linemen had shirts under their uniforms with the sleeves coming out past their uniform sleeves…about halfway down their biceps. They looked like they had a spider-man print on them…like the uniforms the US Olympic Ski team wore a few Olympics ago. I don’t remember what team it was though…[/quote]
    Found it.[/quote]
    Uhhhhh, I think that the sleeves are meant to simulate alligator skin.[/quote]

during the game it looked as though many of the gator players had a similar patterned do-rag on as well. unless people created sleeveless compression shirts and used the left over sleeves as the do-rag, ive seen that too…

• nomuskles | October 30, 2006 at 5:52 pm |

I’m pretty sure that during the Ravens-Saints game this weekend, Steve McNair and Chris McCallister who play for the ravens had slightly inconsistent nameplates. McNair’s c after the M was superscript but McCallister’s c after the M was a subscript. At least, that’s what I think I saw. Can anyone find a picture? I don’t think Paul has covered this particular inconsistency…at least not this season.

• Mark Mihalik | October 30, 2006 at 5:59 pm |

Found it.[/quote]

I remember that Paul referenced this a while ago… the Nike “Culture” sleeve. There’s a few more here, and they all try to identify with the school’s mascot or region. I’m amused by these more than anything… the pattern in the Texas one in particular is really pretty feminine.

• Big Ed | October 30, 2006 at 6:07 pm |

Black shamrocks for the Celtics to mourn Red this season…

• Teebz | October 30, 2006 at 6:08 pm |

Ok, lots to dicuss… little time… here we go.

The Johnny Canuck logo was used when the Vancouver Canucks joined the PCHL. The hockey stick logo was used when the Canucks joined the NHL. In my opinion, they should use the Johnny Canuck logo as a shoulder patch on their Vintage jerseys. This would bring their humble beginning to life, and make for a cool shoulder addition… better than the Orca Bay logo.

The sale of the Barney Rubble Hairpieces merchandise is a normal increase for a new look. The San Jose Sharks had the top-selling jersey for three years from the time they entered the league. The Avalanche jerseys sold strong for the year they moved to Denver.
    The Hairpieces’ strong sales are nothing out of the ordinary.

As for how I refer to them, Minna is correct. I had seen it on a Hairpieces forum, but didn’t fully adopt it until Tim Macallef of The Score sports station here in Canada did a side-by-side comparison. It made me laugh out loud, and I accepted it being correct. John Buccigross referred to it on ESPN, so I think it should be accepted continent-wide much like the Avalanche are called the “Avs” or the Penguins called the “Pens”. Again, just my opinion. :o)

Finally, in speaking about the Avalanche, they have only two numbers raised to the rafters, but three officially retired. They are:
    #33 – Patrick Roy
    #77 – Ray Bourque
    #99 – Wayne Gretzky (league-wide)

I find this a bit unclassy in that they removed the lineage of players that helped found the franchise. Peter Stastny (#26) and Michel Goulet (#16) should be hanging in the rafters as well as a tribute to the team’s past. I understand the younger Stastny asking for #26, and I’m sure Peter would say yes, but Peter and Michel Goulet were key parts of the Nordiques’ history.

• Ed | October 30, 2006 at 6:13 pm |

ESPN is reporting that the Boston Celtics will be wearing a black cloverleaf with a green “Red” inscription on their uniforms this year. It sounds like it will be for the entire season…

ed

• John Ekdahl | October 30, 2006 at 6:15 pm |

[quote comment=”17643″]Ek, any idea?[/quote]
    Vegas deleted the wrong “quote comment” function and it ended up quoting you instead of Banker Bill. I fixed it.

• Ed | October 30, 2006 at 6:15 pm |

Ah – Big Ed beat this ed to it…

ed

• jeremy in MI | October 30, 2006 at 6:26 pm |

[quote comment=”17553″]It’s not supposed to say “eighty-five”, so it wasn’t a faux pas. It is supposed to say “eight five”. It’s more street. When people refer to Detroit, they say “three one three”. Same kinda concept.[/quote]
    They Say that in Detroit because it’s the area code. Nobody would say “three-thirteen”.

• Brinke Guthrie | October 30, 2006 at 6:34 pm |

[quote comment=”17610″]As far as Chad Johnson’s nameplate, I would bet that it was made at Kock’s Sporting Goods in Cincinnati, Ohio. It is about 5 blocks from PBS and if they can’t make it, you don’t need it. The did all of the Reds and Bengals lettering for decades until recently.

[/quote]

• Minna H | October 30, 2006 at 6:48 pm |

[quote comment=”17654″]Ok, lots to dicuss… little time… here we go.

The Hairpieces’ strong sales are nothing out of the ordinary.

[/quote]

Once again, it’s not me, Teebz. I guess I’m just omnipotent.

Thanks, Ek, for fixing the quote. Will you fix the time as well to adjust for DST? It’s bugging me. Thanks!

• Al A | October 30, 2006 at 6:56 pm |

[quote comment=”17591″]First time commenter here.

I thought the item on Paul Stastny’s number was interesting, since Peter played for the Nordiques who are now the Avs. Can anyone else think of a player wear the same number as his dad for the same franchise? I can only come up with 2: Brett Hull played briefly last season with the Coyotes wearing the 9 his dad was with Winnipeg, and there was Ken Griffey Jr.’s brief stint in a Reds #30.[/quote]

Dude, you missed the Granddaddy of them all:
    Barry and Bobby Bonds of the San Francisco Giants #25
    n

• Andy from KC | October 30, 2006 at 7:03 pm |

[quote comment=”17639″]Anyone know why the Chiefs retired Warren Moon’s #1 yesterday? He played a total of three games with them. Apparently, the Vikings are going to honor Moon tonight too.[/quote]

The Chiefs didn’t retire Moon’s number. Lawrence Tynes still wears it. They just gave Warren Moon a framed Chiefs jersey.

• Nolan | October 30, 2006 at 6:04 pm |

[quote comment=”17663″][quote comment=”17610″]”>[/quote]

Been in Koch’s a million times..worked one block over at WRRM on 205 W 4th. Koch’s had EVERYthing Uni related. Paul should go and say hi to Kris Koch.[/quote]

We’re you in direct competition with WKRP?

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

• Mike from Queens | October 30, 2006 at 7:08 pm |

[quote comment=”17591″]First time commenter here.[/quote]

I think there might be two Andrews already. I think we all like to know who posts what, so maybe you would want to come up with some addendum to your name? You should get credit for everything you dig up or say. Just a suggestion, and welcome.

Unless the two Andrews want to have a deathmatch or something. Let Paul do the uniforms…

[quote comment=”17566″]Punter is usually considered a defensive position and placekicker offensive, no? If this is the case, holder would be an offensive position, and the punter (now holding placekicks) would now be an offensive player.[/quote]

I guess, technically, they’re special teams and thus neither. But, removed from that, I would call both of them offensive positions because they never play during the defensive downs. I would, however, love to see Jeff Feagles or Scott Player in at linebacker.

[quote comment=”17651″]I’m pretty sure that during the Ravens-Saints game this weekend, Steve McNair and Chris McCallister who play for the ravens had slightly inconsistent nameplates. McNair’s c after the M was superscript but McCallister’s c after the M was a subscript.[/quote]

You are right. At least, those were from a couple of weeks ago, not last week. Proof of concept, though.

• BJ | October 30, 2006 at 7:11 pm |

The faux-gator print was bad enough when Reggie Nelson wore it as a do-rag, but that full sleeve has disgraced our fine institution.

Oh, and the Texas version is pretty queer.

• justin | October 30, 2006 at 7:11 pm |

Jeff said:

My guess is that since Moon is the color guy for the Seahawks radio, he was just dressed for work. They may have surprised him, but even if they didn’t he wouldn’t have worn a KC shirt when the ‘Hawks are the ones paying him.

• Michael Mariniello | October 30, 2006 at 7:13 pm |

Here is the link:

• Michael Mariniello | October 30, 2006 at 7:16 pm |

[quote comment=”17684″]In listening to and reading all of this about Red Auerbach, I heard about this for the first time: His brother Zang Auerbach created the Celtic Logo.

Here is the link:
    [/quote]

I messed up the quote. Maybe this works:

• Kris McInnis | October 30, 2006 at 7:19 pm |

Found it.[/quote]

Is that supposed to be an alligator skin print? Wow. Geez. What’s next? Maybe Under Armour can whip up Auburn an undershirt that looks something like this. Or maybe Florida can continue to sport their hot styles when South Carolina goes to Gainsville wearing undershirts made out of these. Or how about Texas? Or Vanderbilt?

• Nolan | October 30, 2006 at 7:24 pm |

[quote comment=”17674″][quote comment=”17663″][quote comment=”17610″]”>[/quote]

We’re you in direct competition with WKRP?

Sorry, couldn’t resist.[/quote]

• JJD | October 30, 2006 at 7:33 pm |

I know this is a little late, re: ugly high school football togs, but…ick.

Tyee High School in Tukwila, WA

• Frinklin | October 30, 2006 at 7:45 pm |

Somebody beat me too the Moon as Seahawks broadcaster bit, but I do have to mention he’s terrible as a color guy.

• Florian | October 30, 2006 at 7:55 pm |

Just because Klinsmann was Germany’s national coach doesn’t mean he has strong ties to Adidas. He wanted Bierhoff as a general manager to the national team, a guy who has very strong Nike ties. Klinsmann himself had several contracts with Reebok before they were bought by adidas. I don’t see that as a problem and am not even sure if there is any contract between Klinsmann and adidas.

• Jeff I | October 30, 2006 at 8:00 pm |

Who has the best shoes for NBA opening night?

• UMD_Chris | October 30, 2006 at 8:27 pm |

[quote comment=”17629″]
    [/quote]

Is it me, or is the font used on the current Capitals uniforms totally unreadable? I wonder how the unis would look with the standard block font instead of this fake-out Times New Roman.

• BtotheE | October 30, 2006 at 8:44 pm |

Oregon players in training? Here.

• Elliott | October 30, 2006 at 8:51 pm |

• Jason Snell | October 30, 2006 at 8:55 pm |

• Mark Mihalik | October 30, 2006 at 9:05 pm |

[quote comment=”17526″]Paging Messrs. Krevanchi and Mihalik:

must be a lehigh valley thing…[/quote]

Haha… just saw that now. What can I say, Todd, we represent well.

• Jordan | October 30, 2006 at 9:40 pm |

Not at all, because black is the only color appropriate for mourning a death.

• Marc | October 30, 2006 at 9:42 pm |

*** ALERT!!! ***

Monday Night Football UniUpdate

Bill Bellichick ( whos son is supposedly a pot head ) is wearing a Cut Off Sleeve Sweatshirt… no joke

Vikings… sadly… still wearing those hideous ” things “

• Jonathan | October 30, 2006 at 9:45 pm |

Paul,

In the sentence you wrote (that’s “eight five,” in case you don’t habla Español), shouldn’t the word “Español” be spelled with a lowercase letter “e”?

In Spanish (and other languages such as German) names of countries, days of the week and languages are not capitalized… just curious and being nitpicky!

Jonathan

• Andrew | October 30, 2006 at 9:57 pm |

Along the lines of star players on opposite sides of the ball wearing the same number, and also speaking of Nebraska, Zac Taylor, QB wears 13 and is captain, and Corey McKeon, LB wears 13 and is a standout on D.

• JJD | October 30, 2006 at 10:11 pm |

[quote comment=”17708″]Oregon players in training? Here.[/quote]

That middle guy needs a LOT of training, then. Egads.

• Elliott | October 30, 2006 at 10:22 pm |

[quote comment=”17722″][quote comment=”17710″]The Celtics will honor Red Auerbach with a black clover leaf on their sleeves with the word Red in green inside it. Wouldn’t it just make more sense to make the leaf red?[/quote]

Not at all, because black is the only color appropriate for mourning a death.[/quote]

I totally understand that, but it would be unique and creative, and not at all degrading. (Or at least I don’t think so).

• brian | October 30, 2006 at 10:30 pm |

[quote comment=”17724″]*** ALERT!!! ***

Monday Night Football UniUpdate

Vikings… sadly… still wearing those hideous ” things “[/quote]

He always wears the sweatshirt with the sleeves cut off like that. Nothing new.

• Ian | October 30, 2006 at 10:30 pm |

[quote comment=”17724″]*** ALERT!!! ***

Monday Night Football UniUpdate

Vikings… sadly… still wearing those hideous ” things “[/quote]

• Jeff E. | October 30, 2006 at 10:35 pm |

[quote comment=”17725″]Paul,

Jonathan[/quote]

Actually, German capitalizes all of its nouns, regardless if it’s a proper one or not. This includes countries, days, languages, etc.

• Eric G. | October 30, 2006 at 10:45 pm |

Reasoning, anyone?

• GoTerriers | October 30, 2006 at 10:53 pm |

Okay, changing my name tag . . .We’ve already got a JonathOn and apparently another JonathAn, so I will modify . . .
    [quote comment=”17734″][quote comment=”17724″]***

Bill usually wears the cutoff sleeve sweatshirt….look at most every game from the past 3 years….only this year has he really started wearing something other than the cut off sweatshirt[/quote]

He’s actually got a couple of different looks . . .Sweatshirt w/ hood and sleeves, No hood, cut sleeves, and a couple of other varieties (hood, cut sleeves) that I can’t find good pictures of.[/quote]

• GoTerriers | October 30, 2006 at 10:54 pm |

[quote comment=”17737″]I really thought someone would’ve noticed this already, but Brad Johnson’s nameplate just has ‘Johnson’ and Bethel Johnson’s has ‘B. Johnson.’
    Reasoning, anyone?[/quote]

Alphabetical?? Bethel vs. Brad??

• Brinke Guthrie | October 30, 2006 at 11:06 pm |

We’re you in direct competition with WKRP?

Sorry, couldn’t resist.[/quote]

Wow, I tore a hole in the space-time continuum. I may have had some help though. Somehow my clever response got listed before the post I quoted…cool I guess.[/quote]

WRRM is a soft rock station. I DID work at the station that WKRP was probly modeled for…WKRQ.
    http://www.wkrq.com. 13 years, and it was just like the TV show.

• BCrisp | October 30, 2006 at 11:22 pm |

Actualy Brad Johnson has B. Johnson and Bethel just has Johnson.

• Mycoskie | October 30, 2006 at 11:49 pm |

If anyone still interested in the “Friday Night Lights” uniwatch, the opponent tonight was wearing the uniforms of A&M Consolidated High School (College Station, TX).

• Wilkie | October 31, 2006 at 12:20 am |

[quote comment=”17733″][quote comment=”17724″]*** ALERT!!! ***

Monday Night Football UniUpdate

Vikings… sadly… still wearing those hideous ” things “[/quote]

He always wears the sweatshirt with the sleeves cut off like that. Nothing new.[/quote]

Does he always have the “BB” on it?

• Al A | October 31, 2006 at 12:29 am |

[quote comment=”17741″][quote comment=”17689″][quote comment=”17674″][quote comment=”17663″][quote comment=”17610″]”>[/quote]

We’re you in direct competition with WKRP?

Sorry, couldn’t resist.[/quote]

http://www.wkrq.com. 13 years, and it was just like the TV show.[/quote]

Yeah, complete with plastic blonde receptionist?

• New Orleans | October 31, 2006 at 12:37 am |

[quote comment=”17712″]Cal’s actually got two star players using the same numbers: Marshawn Lynch, their star RB, is number 10/offense, and Desmond Bishop, perhaps the best player on their defense, is… you guessed it. 10.

I don’t really get it, since unlike the legendary Nebraska teams of yore, Cal doesn’t exactly suit up an army of players, even for a home game. Guess the players want the numbers they want.[/quote]

This is what I was talking about earlier. Apparently it was a Cal game that I was thinking of in which I saw two standout players from the same team, one on offense, one on defense, each wearing #10. I think the reason you see this a lot with QB numbers is because in high school coaches may tend to put their best athlete at QB. When they get to college they may be switched to running back, receiver, linebacker or whatever, but they want to keep their high school numbers.

• Minna H | October 31, 2006 at 12:48 am |

I just saw something worse than the Vikings’ unis–the egg they laid tonight against the Patriots. I tried to stick it out until the end—really, I did, but I just couldn’t.

• Shane | October 31, 2006 at 12:53 am |

[quote comment=”17745″]Does he always have the “BB” on it?[/quote]

I’m not sure, but I can tell you some English soccer coaches do it. Check out Alex Ferguson’s shorts, and Steve Bruce’s jacket.

• BJ | October 31, 2006 at 12:53 am |

Two Observations from MNF:

1) Yes, Bill’s sleeves were cut off, but so was the hood. WTF Bill? They DO make sweatshirts without hoods.

2) Action Chad (Go Gators) was wearing red tights under his uni. You can see this clearly when his sock gets pulled down when he scored his TD. You know they’re tights since the red color extends above the waistband of the pants.

Must be cold in the dome…

• DevoteesofDuffyDyer(DODD) | October 31, 2006 at 12:54 am |

• Big Ed | October 31, 2006 at 12:58 am |

whistles

• Shane | October 31, 2006 at 1:02 am |

[quote comment=”17750″]Steve Bruce’s jacket.[/quote]

Let me try a better one. Liverpool’s manager, Rafa Benitez.

• Wilkie | October 31, 2006 at 1:11 am |

[quote comment=”17751″]Two Observations from MNF:

Must be cold in the dome…[/quote]

Don’t think the hood was cut off. A hooded sweatshirt wouldn’t have that kind of neck band. It looks like the edge of the neck band is just very tattered. Still, though… WTF

I noticed Jackson’s tights too. Did the red color look right to you? Looked a little on the mauve side on my HDTV.

• Nolan | October 31, 2006 at 1:13 am |

[quote comment=”17752″]It might be a dumb question but what do NFL referees have strapped to their hands?[/quote]

They also use two rubber bands one goes around their wrist, the other attaches to that and goes around their fingers. They put it on their index finger to indicate 1st down, index and middle for second, etc.
    See it here

• DevoteesofDuffyDyer(DODD) | October 31, 2006 at 1:15 am |

[quote comment=”17753″]whistles[/quote]
    Some officials have these “straps” on both hands at the same time they are wearing a whistle around their neck.

• Minna H | October 31, 2006 at 1:15 am |

[quote comment=”17754″][quote comment=”17750″]Steve Bruce’s jacket.[/quote]

Let me try a better one. Liverpool’s manager, Rafa Benitez.

It should be know that for the most part, they wear suits during games. I wish the NFL still allowed this. It just looks classy.[/quote]

• bj | October 31, 2006 at 1:25 am |

If BB didn’t lop off the hood, the shirt has a strange collar on it. Kinda like a mock turtle look.

Pic here.

I’m partial to the Hank Stram logo’d-sport-coat look. I’d at least like a little variety. In college, coaches get whatever their sponsor gives them, but there is a variety of sponsors. Not so much in RBK’s fiefdom (aka the NFL).

• Wilkie | October 31, 2006 at 1:54 am |

[quote comment=”17761″]
    I’m partial to the Hank Stram logo’d-sport-coat look.[/quote]

• Minna H | October 31, 2006 at 2:01 am |

A big shout-out to Ek for fixing the time-stamp. Thanks, man. It was driving me to distraction.

As for a Vikings’ sportscoat, I shudder at the thought.

• bj | October 31, 2006 at 2:02 am |

[quote comment=”17764″][quote comment=”17761″]
    I’m partial to the Hank Stram logo’d-sport-coat look.[/quote]

Ugh. Can you imagine how awful the Vikings’ sport coat would be? Or the Bengals’?[/quote]

If they went with the team-colored route. But I think this would be a good universal template. Maybe the vike’s horns logo, or the leaping bengal logo?

• Scott W | October 31, 2006 at 2:02 am |

from a Scoop Jackson article about his NBA predictions on espn.com’s Page 2:

“The Fashion: Players will start pulling their socks down and we’ll see less headbands.”

• Richard | October 31, 2006 at 8:17 am |

[quote comment=”17745″][quote comment=”17733″][quote comment=”17724″]*** ALERT!!! ***

Monday Night Football UniUpdate

Vikings… sadly… still wearing those hideous ” things “[/quote]

Does he always have the “BB” on it?[/quote]

Yes, the coach always has his personalized hoodie, or hood-less, around. The BB appears on all of the sweatshirts, short and long sleeved.

• a arauz | October 31, 2006 at 10:56 am |

[quote comment=”17759″][quote comment=”17754″][quote comment=”17750″]Steve Bruce’s jacket.[/quote]

Let me try a better one. Liverpool’s manager, Rafa Benitez.

I disagree. It is classy, but it doesn’t look right when a coach is dressed in a suit—like in the NBA and the NHL. I’m not for the uniform route, either, like in the MLB. Hell, I’m not for the matching outfits, either, like the NFL. I think jeans and a nice shirt ought to do it.[/quote]
    c’mon Minna…. these guys aren’t going BarHopping–they’re football coaches. I like the Hank Stram route–provided these guys can wear the cheesey toupee as well.

• Jordan | October 31, 2006 at 9:36 pm |

On the topic of the sleeves, a kid on my highschool team has a compression shirt like Vinatieri’s. He told me it is made by Nike.

Underarmour’s sleeves are also sold.. Something new on their “Coldgear” line, the Chase Mock.

• ACC | November 1, 2006 at 3:01 pm |

[quote comment=”17764″][quote comment=”17761″]
    I’m partial to the Hank Stram logo’d-sport-coat look.[/quote]

Best idea of the day – SF’s Mike Nolan already requested this and it could happen with more support.