Baby Got Backboard

shock.jpg

In the spring of 1998, when I was the marketing/branding columnist for Fortune magazine (yes, really), I attended the American Marketing Association’s annual New Products Conference. Three then-new brands were singled out for special praise: Colgate Total, Dannon Water, and — drumroll, please — the WNBA, which at the time looked like a huge success.

Nowadays, of course, the WNBA is right up there with NFL Europe and televised billiards in the snooze-o-rama sweepstakes. And judging by the following note, which I received yesterday from a source at a WNBA team, it looks like they’re getting a little desperate for attention over there:

Yesterday I was able to see the designs for the Adidas redesign. If you care to, you will have a field day.

Here’s the good: All teams will now have the name of the city on the front of the road jerseys instead of the team name [as is already done by several teams]. Also, surnames will be below the numbers on the back, à la “The City.”

The bad: Adidas has taken a portion of each team’s secondary logo and created an abstract “tribal” design. This design wraps around the sides of the tops and shorts. The team nickname will be on rear of the shorts and the secondary logo will be on the rear of the top, just below the collar.

The tribal designs are absolutely horrendous. There are a couple of decent looking ones (Detroit Shock, Chicago Sky), but the others are just nasty. I saw four different ones for the Connecticut Sun. One used the “S” in this logo and it looked like a “Snakes on a Plane” ad. Another one used the flame from the sun — when it wrapped around the ass, it looked like two giant cartoon hands copping a feel.

At our team, we had our PR company come up with some alternate designs, because the ones given to us by the league were too ugly to consider. Unfortunately, I don’t have any visuals to show you — they were taped up on the GM’s wall. I’ll see if I can get him to e-mail them to me.

Sounds pretty bad, but there’s a larger point here worth emphasizing: By imposing this “tribal” effect on all of the teams, the WNBA is essentially creating a league-wide template, and that is seriously bad news, because it diminishes the teams’ individual identities. Little subtleties that can become part of a team’s aesthetic signature (like the Tigers using lots of thin belt loops while most other MLB teams use wider belt tunnels, or the Giants using rounded edges on their nameplates while most other teams’ are rectangular) a precisely the sorts of things that fall between the cracks when a league imposes a template.

Of course, many WNBA unis are already based on their NBA counterparts, so they don’t have much individuality to start with. But that’s all the more reason not to rob them of what little distinctiveness they have left.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Truly disturbing note from Brent Smith, who writes: “I share your contempt for some of the things Nike does, so it pains me to bring this to your attention. The whole one-sleeve thing has now invaded the Division II level. This is Harding, a Church of Christ school (like this isn’t a sin!) in northeast Arkansas. They play in the Gulf South Conference, one of the power conferences in D2. The picture speaks for itself.” Indeed. … The Canadiens will retire Ken Dryden’s No. 29 and Serge Savard’s No. 18 this season. … Good catch by Jon McKay, who notes that Jerious Norwood was wearing mismatched gloves last Sunday. … The invaluable Football Uniforms Past and Present web site, which had tragically vanished from the internet several months ago, now appears to be up and running once again. … The latest chatter about the Devil Rays’ on-again/off-again brand redesign is available here. … In case you missed it buried in yesterday’s Comments section, the scoop on Takashi Saito’s gold belt buckle is that it’s a Mizuno belt, popular with Asian players. The Japanese and Korean teams both wore this design during the World Baseball Classic, as you can see here, here, here, here, and here. … We’re not the only ones who have problems with Nike (with thanks to Andy Dowland for the tip).

120 comments to Baby Got Backboard

• Natron | September 14, 2006 at 9:23 am |

What’s this “WNBA” he’s talking about? Never heard of it.

• Steven | September 14, 2006 at 9:24 am |

You never heard of it? Neither have I!

• Peter Wunsch | September 14, 2006 at 9:31 am |

If Montreal keeps retiring numbers they will soon be issuing double digit numbers to players.

• Lake | September 14, 2006 at 9:33 am |

[/quote]
    I’m guessing you meant triple digits, yes? It’s early.

• nybatt | September 14, 2006 at 9:36 am |

great to see the old “athlegraphic” NFL uni site back up and running… hopefully it’ll keep that f-ing yusuf terrorist asshole from attacking and ruining it again..

• Natron | September 14, 2006 at 9:37 am |

• Terry Mark | September 14, 2006 at 9:37 am |

• Surly | September 14, 2006 at 9:39 am |

[quote comment=”8738″]

• Matt | September 14, 2006 at 9:52 am |

If you think invading DII college football is bad, ESPNU was broadcasting a Prep football game yesterday between Don Bosco Prep (NJ) and St, Joseph’s Prep (PA) in which the St. Joe’s was wearing the one-sleeve desgin. I’ll work on finding a link.

• a arauz | September 14, 2006 at 9:53 am |

• Andy Head | September 14, 2006 at 9:59 am |

[quote comment=”8741″][quote comment=”8738″]I was at both the Messier retirement ceremeony in NY and the Geoffrion one in Montreal last season and, I hate to say it, the Montreal one was classier (and one hour shorter). Given the fact that Boom Boom passed away that morning it was tasteful, poignant and brought back memories. (At least the portion of the ceremony in English.)

Interesting you ask that about the NHL refs. I’m a big college hockey fan (U.S.), and the NCAA hockey refs have just the opposite thing going on. Names only, no numbers. I’ve always wondered why that is.[/quote]

• Chris | September 14, 2006 at 10:00 am |

• Gabe | September 14, 2006 at 10:03 am |

I agree with Chris. Even the skin tone is a different color. Unless he has a serious case of drivers tan.

• JohnnyG83 | September 14, 2006 at 10:08 am |

WNBA? Yes!

Finally, a White National Basketball Association.

• Kevin A. | September 14, 2006 at 10:20 am |

in the Nike commercial where all kinds of top nfl players are now on a high school to help win (im sure everyone knows what im talking about) if that really is Deion sons (probably is dont know someone fill me in) with his promotions for Nike how will he ever play in NCAA (not uni related but you people will know over anyone else i know)

• Tom | September 14, 2006 at 10:26 am |

I think that is Norwood’s right hand just to the left of that gray glove. You can see a little patch of red and it lines up with where his hand would be if it was being pulled behind him by the defender.

• Jill | September 14, 2006 at 10:26 am |

• Petey Crackers | September 14, 2006 at 10:28 am |

• Jamie | September 14, 2006 at 10:29 am |

• Burrill | September 14, 2006 at 10:31 am |

I am at a loss as to how uniforms based on a league-wide template will somehow attract fans. I am also wondering how many people (outside of the uni-watchers here) will notice the new uniforms; Detroit’s championship celebration drew “over 300 people,” according to the Detroit News. Minor league, indeed.

How often has the WNBA changed uniforms, anyway? It seems like they do this all the time.

• Dane | September 14, 2006 at 10:35 am |

So, I’m just reading though some info this morning from around the world and I find an article about the new Monopoly game. Low and behold, the new game pieces are a Motorola Cell Phone, McDonlads French Fries, a Toyota Prius, and Starbucks Coffee. Corporate entities have invaded the monopoly game pieces. The end of the world can not be far off. [/quote]

• Rich | September 14, 2006 at 10:41 am |

[quote comment=”8757″][quote comment=”8755″]EXTREME Logo Creep alert, not exactly sports related, but disturbing nonetheless!

The updated UK Monopoly unveiled a few months ago replaced paper money with Visa debit cards.[/quote]

I thought you were joking, but did some research and found out it’s true!

• Rich | September 14, 2006 at 10:48 am |

• Paul | September 14, 2006 at 10:57 am |

Yesterday

Thankfully, it differed from his press conference shirt

Press Conference

• Kelli | September 14, 2006 at 11:03 am |

So, I’m just reading though some info this morning from around the world and I find an article about the new Monopoly game. Low and behold, the new game pieces are a Motorola Cell Phone, McDonlads French Fries, a Toyota Prius, and Starbucks Coffee. Corporate entities have invaded the monopoly game pieces. The end of the world can not be far off. Monopoly Game Pieces[/quote]

At least the shoe isn’t a Nike one.

• Natron | September 14, 2006 at 11:05 am |

[quote comment=”8754″]My girlfriend broke up with me. I know its not uni related, but bou guys are the only people I talk to. HELP[/quote]

She wasn’t wearing purple at the time, was she? That would make her double bitchy.

• paul | September 14, 2006 at 11:09 am |

I heard on the radio that some soccer team in England. i think it was Stambridge United in Essex got hit with a fine because there title sponser is an author and had nothing to plug so in stead he had them put “the ref is a wanker” on the Jerseys.

• Billy | September 14, 2006 at 11:10 am |

If they want to grab some attention, why not make the uniforms a little more feminine? As if it’s not bad enough the unis fit like hand-me-downs from a high school boys team, they pretty much stick to the Men’s/NBA colors, which is a real drag. If I cringe at the sight of ladies running around in navy/gold (Indiana), pine/burgundy (Seattle), or black/silver (SA), imagine how they must feel! Give them some attractive and flattering colors and fits! I would say look to the australian women’s basketball team (Link Name), but I won’t get greedy…

• Jonathan | September 14, 2006 at 11:11 am |

[quote comment=”8741″][quote comment=”8738″]

• jamie kilgore | September 14, 2006 at 11:12 am |

those Div.II jerseys with the mismatched sleeve look just as bad the ones from the highschool that i posted yesterday

• Ian K | September 14, 2006 at 11:13 am |

Here is the new Monopoly board, which uses national landmarks (Times Square, White House, Jacobs Field) as properties. These were chosen based on voting from metro areas. Here in Dallas-Ft Worth, the landmark that won? Texas Stadium, the most hideous stadium in the nation, targeted for likely demolition once the new Cowboys stadium is built. We are truly lacking in culture here in DFW if a concrete monolith represents us. And of course, it’s the 2nd cheapest property on the board.

• Matt | September 14, 2006 at 11:13 am |

anyone see Pedro wearing Delgado’s uniform in the game yesterday?

• Jonathan | September 14, 2006 at 11:14 am |
  • todd krevanchi (krvanch) | September 14, 2006 at 11:14 am |

when a situation like this happens, i refer to a little creed i adopted. it is from my favorite descendents song “bikeage”

“when your problems overwhelm you, go get drunk, it’s party time.”

just do so with your buddies in an environment where there is no reason for you to drive anywhere…

• JTH | September 14, 2006 at 11:19 am |

[quote comment=”8738″]And, why do hockey officials only have numbers on their jerseys. Why can’t they be required to also have their names on the back, like the players[/quote]

They used to. If you look closely at this picture, you can make out the “SKI” at the end of Don Koharski’s nameplate.

I think the reasoning for the switch to numbers-only was that it gave the officials some anonymity so that fans wouldn’t heckle them by name. It may have been successful for the linesmen and some of the lower-profile refs, but certainly not for guys like Koharski (at least at post-switch Blackhawks games).

• Paul Lukas | September 14, 2006 at 11:24 am |

[quote comment=”8759″]On that football uniform site, the bottons/links don’t seem to work for anything prior to the 1960’s. Anyone else have this problem?[/quote]

The site’s coverage has always gone back to 1959 — no farther. Coverage for earlier decades was supposed to be added eventually, but it never was.

Still, it’s a great site — best NFL/AFL resource I know of.

• Kris McInnis | September 14, 2006 at 11:30 am |

Here’s some more D-II GSC action for you: I used to attend Univ. of North Alabama, and you can check out the Lions’ wonderful threads here. That’s lovely, ya think. I think that’s worse than the Vikings.

Another thing about UNA is since their national title years in the 90s, they haven’t put together the whole matching helmet color to everything else color. And if you think the dreaded line-lion logo on the helmet was intimidating enough, check out what it looked like before that. Nothing screams intimidation at an opponent like a deformed, 5-clawed lion.

• Rich | September 14, 2006 at 11:31 am |

What, no iPod?!

• J-Rob | September 14, 2006 at 11:35 am |

Ok, just checking out some pictures and came across this

Syracuse plays Illinois this weekend. I’m a fan of Syracuse new uni’s but this could be an eyesore.

• Jonathan | September 14, 2006 at 11:36 am |

[quote comment=”8775″][quote comment=”8755″]EXTREME Logo Creep alert, not exactly sports related, but disturbing nonetheless!

What, no iPod?![/quote]

Apple probably didn’t want to give (or wanted to much $$ for) copyright permission!

• JTH | September 14, 2006 at 11:36 am |

[quote comment=”8762″][quote comment=”8755″]EXTREME Logo Creep alert, not exactly sports related, but disturbing nonetheless!

At least the shoe isn’t a Nike one.[/quote]

Interesting:

Hasbro gave the original shoe token the boot and replaced it with a New Balance sneaker. New Balance was selected, not just because of its performance sneakers but also for being one of the only athletic brands to continue to produce shoes within the United States.

and I find this funny because Bush’s dogs are Scottish terriers:
    The Scottish terrier from the original Monopoly is put to sleep and replaced with a Labradoodle. A Labradoodle is a mix between a Labrador Retriever and a poodle, a popular breed among contemporary American families.

• Eric | September 14, 2006 at 11:43 am |

The Referee’s a Wanker

(Link yanked from Fark)

• Forrest | September 14, 2006 at 12:04 pm |

• Natron | September 14, 2006 at 12:07 pm |

[quote comment=”8781″]Don’t know if this was mentioned elsewhere, but imagine some of our North American pro sports teams wearing jerseys like these:

The Referee’s a Wanker

(Link yanked from Fark)[/quote]

lol… I can’t stand soccer, but I would proud to wear one of those babies!

• Andy | September 14, 2006 at 12:13 pm |

[quote comment=”8753″][quote comment=”8747″]Jerious Norwood isn’t wearing 2 different gloves. The grey glove is from the defender trying to tackle him. I don’t see his right hand.[/quote]

I don’t think your arm can really bend like that either (without being broken). Unless he has an extra elbow.[/quote]
    The dude also has two left arms! Seems like an unfair advantage.

• Eriq Jaffe | September 14, 2006 at 12:17 pm |

If the WNBA is switching to a league-wide template, it woulnd’t be a first for an NBA-run league. When the NBDL started a few years ago, all the teams had the same logo – the NBDL logo in “team” colors, and all the teams even used the same typeface for the wordmarks. Evidence can be seen on this page. They have since moved away from that, and if it wasn’t the NBA, I’d think they’d learn from their mistakes.

• JTH | September 14, 2006 at 12:23 pm |

[quote comment=”8782″]They just showed the Northern Colorado blue pants on Cold Pizza (or will, or did, depending on time zone). So the ultimate question is: Gold or Blue pants?[/quote]
    Does either version come with a Kevlar lining? Those are the ones their punter might choose.

• Patrick | September 14, 2006 at 12:26 pm |
  • Teebz | September 14, 2006 at 12:27 pm |

[quote comment=”8743″][quote comment=”8738″]

Up until a few years ago officials had their names on the back. for what ever reason the powers that be decided that made too much sense and gave them all numbers. This is the NHL remember.[/quote]

I’ve asked the question at the NHL Officials website. You can view it here. I’ve asked Ryan Galloway, an NHL linesman, but he was unsure of the exact reason. Any answer I get from the league will be posted here.

• JohnnyBoy | September 14, 2006 at 12:45 pm |

I want one of those “ref is a wanker” jerseys. And I want one of those Admirals “Bob Euker” jerseys.

• Jim | September 14, 2006 at 12:55 pm |

Checking out that NHL Officials website led me to the link for the NHL Rule Book.

I did not know there were specific Pantone colors for the lines on the ice.

Red is 186, Blue is 286.

The more you know…

• Ian K | September 14, 2006 at 12:58 pm |

Okay guys, hold down the fort, I’m going to Vegas for a bachelor party this weekend. I wonder if I can bet on what uniform Oregon is going to wear? I’ll put 10-1 odds on laser yellow.

• JT | September 14, 2006 at 1:01 pm |

Well, given that the point of the game Monopoly is to amass property in such a way that you can suddenly charge much higher prices for use of it just because you own all of a particular kind of resource, and then further raise prices resource by placing “value adding features” that may or may not be necessary, and in so doing try to drive your customers (I mean opponents) to bankrupcy, it seems that corporate sponsership of the game pieces fits right in with the spirit of the game.

• Tim B - Cleveland | September 14, 2006 at 1:21 pm |

Wow, the Jake made the new Monopoly board? NICE!

Also, the best thing the Gunds ever did for Cleveland was folding the Rockers once the Cavs won the draft lottery and were assured Lebron. I still find it funny to hear David Stern defend the league’s existance on Jim Rome in his once-a-year interview on the Jungle.

• Mediocre Joe | September 14, 2006 at 1:53 pm |

• JTH | September 14, 2006 at 1:57 pm |

[quote comment=”8795″]the best thing the Gunds ever did for Cleveland was folding the Rockers[/quote]
    Yep. I’m sure the first thing that came to mind for the people who depended on the income they earned from working those games (ushers, ticket takers, vendors, parking attendants, etc.) was “The Gunds have done the whole city a solid!”

• Ian | September 14, 2006 at 1:59 pm |

[quote comment=”8746″]Can’t find a picture, but CHL officials (WHL, OHL, and QMJHL) have name and number. Makes it easier to remember your “favorites” for the next time they take the ice…[/quote]

Here’s a picture I took last year at the
    Portland Winter Hawks home opener against the Kelowna Rockets. Notice the ref with name and number. We can talk about the Hawks’ alt jerseys another time!

• specs | September 14, 2006 at 2:00 pm |

You can include the MLS in that league-wide template thingy… which only strengthens your point as that too is little league.[/quote]

Actually, that’s common in soccer, not specific to MLS. If you look at this year’s World Cup, both Adidas and Puma used templates for multiple teams, and it can be found in club teams as well.

Real Salt Lake vs. France

• rone | September 14, 2006 at 2:00 pm |

I was going to mention Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink as the recordholder in nameplate size, but i see that someone beat me to it a few weeks ago. However, i found a a good picture of his jersey. His Netherlands jersey in the World Cup had his name in a condensed font.

• Ian | September 14, 2006 at 2:01 pm |

Let’s try that link again, shall we?

Ref picture.

Sorry, folks…

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | September 14, 2006 at 2:05 pm |

with all of the wnba talk, sometimes i think that me and howie schwab are the only male fans of the league…

that being said, this is the time that i remind everyone about sue bird…

• Dave Zalatoris | September 14, 2006 at 2:20 pm |

• Natron | September 14, 2006 at 2:29 pm |

[quote comment=”8803″] that being said, this is the time that i remind everyone about sue bird…

so anyone from syossett, ny, or from christ the king in middle village, if you know her, have her hit me up on the cell!!![/quote]

Is she the one who was reprimanded for getting spanked on a radio show?

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | September 14, 2006 at 2:33 pm |

well, there wasnt a reprimand as the “bet” never happened.
    background: http://espn.go.com/w...

but yes, thats her…
    oh, and i dont want to forget you guys in seattle either, tell her to text me…

• ard | September 14, 2006 at 2:39 pm |

dan patrick’s comments on oregon uniforms coming up right now on espn radio

• Banker Bill | September 14, 2006 at 2:40 pm |

Dude…LINDA Cohn

• Matthew | September 14, 2006 at 2:40 pm |

[quote comment=”8800″][quote comment=”8745″][quote comment=”8742″]A league-wide template is not just bush league, it’s Little League! At least in Little League they can justify something like that as a cost-saving measure.[/quote]

Real Salt Lake vs. France[/quote]

I think someone brought up in the past that in the English Premiership, all jersey numbers have to incorporate the Premiership logo in the bottom part of the number. I’m not sure of the reason for this (anybody know?), but it is in line with the extremely strict uniform regulations that the Premiership has for all games played within the league (when Premiership teams play on the Continent in Champions or UEFA Cup, the uniform regualations don’t exist).

• Banker Bill | September 14, 2006 at 2:43 pm |

[quote comment=”8810″][quote comment=”8796″]I don’t know anything about the WNBA, but Laura Cohn and Nancy Lieberman both looked hot on their updates from the finals on Sportscenter.[/quote]

Dude…LINDA Cohn[/quote]

The WNBA will just never do it for me. Not much of a hoops fan anyway – although I love to play it – but women’s team sports don’t get me the way individual sports do. Women’s golf – some nice eye candy there – Women’s tennis – Maria Sharapova. ‘Nuff said.

• Natron | September 14, 2006 at 2:46 pm |

[quote comment=”8807″]well, there wasnt a reprimand as the “bet” never happened.
    background: http://espn.go.com/w...

but yes, thats her…
    oh, and i dont want to forget you guys in seattle either, tell her to text me…[/quote]

I forgot about the “harder daddy harder” part.

And here I thought I knew everything that was worth knowing about in the WNBA!

• Jared | September 14, 2006 at 2:46 pm |

I concur.

• Brian from Short Island | September 14, 2006 at 2:50 pm |

Re: MLS, I wouldn’t call that a template uniform, but more like a league-wide adidas contract. That makes sense, since that lots of the teams are owned by one company (AEG, I think, who just sold the Metro Stars to Red Bull). The larger problem is adidas, Puma, Lotto etc. using template uniforms across the world in soccer, which is not a little league sport.

Nike actually did the footballing world a service this year by having unique historically-influenced uniforms for each national team at the world cup, and each club team for this new season.

• MetsfanAZ | September 14, 2006 at 2:51 pm |

D.P. “paint for the O ducks helmets is $2400/gallon.”
    K.O. “getting dressed for the game is a 3 credit course.”
    D.P. “the uniforms are ugly.”

• MetsfanAZ | September 14, 2006 at 2:53 pm |

more Dan PAtrick show.

• ard | September 14, 2006 at 3:01 pm |

[quote comment=”8817″][quote comment=”8804″]Dan Patrick on ESPN Radio will be talking about the Oregon uniforms sometime today.[/quote]
    D.P. “paint for the O ducks helmets is $2400/gallon.”
    K.O. “getting dressed for the game is a 3 credit course.”
    D.P. “the uniforms are ugly.”[/quote]

K.O. thought that a good name for this course would be “Getting dressed for the game 101”

• a arauz | September 14, 2006 at 3:20 pm |

Man, they don’t call you Mediocre for nuthin’…. :) dude those two ladies- the less said the better.

• cheechoo | September 14, 2006 at 3:38 pm |

http://www.sabresfan... just exposed the sabres new jersey unveiling. the sabres changed the welcome page on their website and are scrambling to delete all the messages on the boards there…

• Gregg | September 14, 2006 at 3:41 pm |

[quote comment=”8818″]more Dan PAtrick show.
    K.O. “the Mets post their record in each uniform combo during games. the white shirts with the blue hats have a terrible record – burn the uniform!”[/quote]

• Andy Head | September 14, 2006 at 3:43 pm |

[quote comment=”8798″]We can talk about the Hawks’ alt jerseys another time![/quote]

Yah… I’ve been wondering about those. Remind me of the old Denver Nuggets’ unis, kinda, with the skyline in the background. I don’t particularly care for the jerseys here in Everett, but they’re WAY better than those Portland alts or anything Kelowna wears (a cartoon lake monster? Come on!).

Silvertips green: http://www.hockeymal...

Nice to see another WHL fan on here…

• Chris Doran | September 14, 2006 at 3:47 pm |

Do my eyes deceive me, or is that a number on the upper right chest?

• Shane | September 14, 2006 at 3:50 pm |

[/quote]

I’m shelling out $92 for the jersey. So worth it.

• Natron | September 14, 2006 at 3:55 pm |

[quote comment=”8826″][quote comment=”8823″]www.sabresfans.com just exposed the sabres new jersey unveiling. the sabres changed the welcome page on their website and are scrambling to delete all the messages on the boards there…[/quote]

Do my eyes deceive me, or is that a number on the upper right chest?[/quote]

I’m a big fan of the Sabres (behind my Wild), but that is atrocious. As if the Banana Slug isn’t bad enough. The logo looks far worse on a jersey and the number on the shoulder?!

brb… I gotta barf.

• Matthew | September 14, 2006 at 4:03 pm |

Do my eyes deceive me, or is that a number on the upper right chest?[/quote]

On the plus side, there’s a fight game on the menu to the right of the screen that’s a lot of fun.

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | September 14, 2006 at 4:05 pm |

christ! the thing could be a toupee for the kid!!!

• MetsfanAZ | September 14, 2006 at 4:08 pm |

[quote comment=”8824″][quote comment=”8818″]more Dan PAtrick show.

Hey, tell me where that is on the Mets website…I’ve never seen it “posted,” and have been keeping track of these stats for the entire 2006 season.[/quote]
    Hey Gregg, I got the jist from K.O. that they put it on the scoreboard at Shea. I also forgot to mention in my post earlier that I was pretty sure a (what do we call ourselves by the way? unination? uni-ts?) member of Uniwatch was already tracking this. Must be you.

• TIMBO | September 14, 2006 at 4:12 pm |

Correction: Norwood is wearing matching gloves. The gray glove belongs to the tackling Panther.

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | September 14, 2006 at 4:14 pm |

a duck wallpaper from early this year…

• Chad | September 14, 2006 at 4:26 pm |

[quote comment=”8824″][quote comment=”8818″]more Dan PAtrick show.

How is their record with the blue cap and pinstripes? (the only home uni they should be wearing)…i wish they would wear the blue cap on the road too, at least once in awhile.

• Chris Doran | September 14, 2006 at 4:31 pm |

christ! the thing could be a toupee for the kid!!!

ps. growing up, no girls ever walked around in outfits like margaret is wearing in that cartoon… if they had, i’d have gotten into a lot of trouble…[/quote]

I saw someone put up a cartoon that said something like the new logo looks like… (Choose One.) One of the choices was Donald Trump’s hairpiece. If I find it again I’ll post a link. It was on this site though.

• Not so Big Al | September 14, 2006 at 4:31 pm |

christ! the thing could be a toupee for the kid!!!

Krevanchi, you shit f**k. :)
    I’d say that the sabre’s logo looks more like Barney Rubble’s Coiuf (?)than Dennis’

• BDH | September 14, 2006 at 4:32 pm |

I might be the only one, but I think that Sabres jersey looks great. I could probably do without the number on the front, but the blue, yellow, and white seem to go perfect and make the Buffaslug look much better than I’d seen before.

• Not so Big Al | September 14, 2006 at 4:33 pm |

[quote comment=”8839″][quote comment=”8830″]i think tom o’g said it weeks ago about the similarity of the new sabres logo and the denace the menace cartoon…
    christ! the thing could be a toupee for the kid!!!

Krevanchi, you sick f**k. :)
    I’d say that the sabre’s logo looks more like Barney Rubble’s Coiuf (?)than Dennis'[/quote]

• Chris | September 14, 2006 at 4:34 pm |

[quote comment=”8833″]a duck wallpaper from early this year…

im not sure of the title though. is it implying that because the movie of the same name was a comedy, expect the same amount of laughs out of the team or the uni’s?[/quote]

• Lincoln | September 14, 2006 at 4:35 pm |

Did she look anything like she does here?

Good-bye erections.

• Chris | September 14, 2006 at 4:37 pm |

[quote comment=”8827″][quote comment=”8760″]Picture of Celtic’s Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink yesterday against Manchester United.
    [/quote]

I’m shelling out $92 for the jersey. So worth it.[/quote]

Where is a good place to buy it? I want that jersey too!

• DAVID | September 14, 2006 at 4:42 pm |

in the pic of the falcons running back he does not have mismatched gloves!
    his arm is around the defender from the panthers
    it is the defensvie players glove that you see!!!
    geez pay attention!

• MetsfanAZ | September 14, 2006 at 4:55 pm |

[quote comment=”8846″]in the pic of the falcons running back he does not have mismatched gloves!
    his arm is around the defender from the panthers
    it is the defensvie players glove that you see!!!
    geez pay attention![/quote]
    ahem, see above. thanks

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | September 14, 2006 at 5:05 pm |

[quote comment=”8839″]Krevanchi, you shit f**k. :)

man! i’ll have to remember that one and bring it back into to common bar lexicon for ball busting!!!

[quote comment=”8842″]
    Thats not from this year. It’s from 2003. ‘Old School’ because of his style of play[/quote]

my bad boss! i put down from early this year because of when it was posted on this site i found it on. i actually found it by accident. i was looking for an old pic of washington st. they once debuted a new pair of uni pants in a bowl game that, for the time, were quite outrageous. they used the side panel similar to this georgia tech hoop template
    but on both sides, giving the illusion of a “bib”.

• Chris | September 14, 2006 at 5:16 pm |

[quote comment=”8842″]

but on both sides, giving the illusion of a “bib”.[/quote]

Speaking of Washington State, I wonder how they feel about Oregon. They used to be the Pac 10 team with multiple helmets. Now Oregon one ups them and goes with 3 helmets!

• Travis | September 14, 2006 at 5:27 pm |

Order the Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink jersey here:

• Chris | September 14, 2006 at 5:57 pm |

[quote comment=”8853″]Order the Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink jersey here:

• Minna H | September 14, 2006 at 6:14 pm |

1. Here’s the thing about the WNBA–they are not playing to be eye candy for the guys. Would that be a nice bonus? Sure. I like watching Troy Polamalu, for instance, but that is secondary to watching the game. I don’t like watching 400-pound linemen with their stomaches hanging out, but I endure. I happen to like the looks of many of the women in the WNBA, but that really isn’t the salient point. It’s about the game.

2. Minnesota’s piece on the Monopoly Board came down to The Mall of America or the Stone Arch Bridge, which is a beautiful bridge. Of course the Mall, a paean to crass consumerism won–might as well put a Swoosh on it and be done with it.

• Dan Julien | September 14, 2006 at 6:20 pm |

Hey I love the site and I have a request from someone creative..I just started my own blog and am in need of a banner logo. I thought I might put a challenge out to some people to help me out in exchange for recognition and an ad on my site. Here’s the website:
    Baseball Views from the North
    E-mail me at danieljulien@hotmail.com if you’re interested and for more details of what I’m looking for. This is a chance to put that creativity to good use and show what you got :)

• Shane | September 14, 2006 at 7:43 pm |

[quote comment=”8854″][quote comment=”8853″]What is so special about an arm badge that it is $16. Does that make it more official or something?[/quote]

No, not really. I have one on my Man United away shirt from a few years ago. It looks cool and that’s about it.

• Shane | September 14, 2006 at 7:44 pm |

Oh wait, you’re talking about the SPL badges. I have a Champions League badge on my Man United shirt that was also an extra $16.

• TimmyB | September 14, 2006 at 7:47 pm |

How many articles are we going to see on the impending Devil Ray’s change of logo, name, uniforms, whatever?????? Just get it over with already. Jeez, you’d think the exisitence of the franchise hinged on this change………………………………..oh wait, it probably does.

• Brian from Short Island | September 14, 2006 at 8:15 pm |

[quote comment=”8803″]christ the king in middle village[/quote]My dad is class of ’67, he doesn’t stop reminding me…

no # though, sorry

• Brian from Short Island | September 14, 2006 at 8:18 pm |

Yesterday

Thankfully, it differed from his press conference shirt

Press Conference[/quote]That’s because that game wasn’t in SPL competition, where every team must use the same name and number fonts. Since it was “in Europe,” (UEFA Champions League), they could put whatever lettering they wanted on it, so long as it was legible. The SPL lettering will appear when they start playing in the SPL again. The Premiership also uses the same (similar?) letters, so if Man Utd.’s jerseys were different yesterday, they’ll return to normal this weekend.

Artur Boruc really let me down with that foul :-(

• Mike from Queens | September 14, 2006 at 8:28 pm |

[quote comment=”8840″]I might be the only one, but I think that Sabres jersey looks great. I could probably do without the number on the front…[/quote]

Funny… I saw that as the only redeeming thing about it.

[quote comment=”8855″]1. Here’s the thing about the WNBA–they are not playing to be eye candy for the guys. Would that be a nice bonus? Sure… I happen to like the looks of many of the women in the WNBA, but that really isn’t the salient point. It’s about the game.[/quote]

I think the uni-related argument could be that since the product of the WNBA is sub-par at best, they are doing their best to come up –any– reason for people to watch a game. First of all, it’s not even an argument that men’s basketball features more atheltic, dynamic, and entertaining players. The only thing that the WNBA claims to offer is solid fundamentals. In 2005, only 6 of 13 teams shot over 40% from the field in the WNBA. The leader was the Comets with .444. Meanwhile, the lowest FG% in the NBA for the 05-06 year was .433 (Houston, GState, Charlotte). So… what’s more fundamental than SHOOTING THE BALL?

• Rob | September 14, 2006 at 8:55 pm |

• Stormy | September 14, 2006 at 9:33 pm |

[quote comment=”8865″]

Not to mention that the Connecticut Sun’s uni is just one big subliminal advertisement for this place. Same font for “Sun,” same state, can’t tell me it’s not a coincidence. Is that a sponsorship deal? Or, does the casino own the team?[/quote]

The Mohegan Tribe owns both the Mohegan Sun Casino & the Connecticut Sun. And yes, the team is huge marketing tool for the casino.

• Minna H | September 14, 2006 at 10:13 pm |

Comparing the WNBA and the NBA is like comparing apples and oranges–though I’ve been guilty of doing the same thing. The WNBA is still a baby in terms of leagues, and we should be encouraging them to do more to nurture female athletes.

I doubt many men would watch the WNBA regardless of perceived beauty of the game or skills, any way. Oh, and it’s easy to score when you can take five steps to the basket or just camp out under the hoop.

• Greg | September 14, 2006 at 10:44 pm |

[quote comment=”8866″]Actually, the Kings stole that “Sacramento” script from the WNBA team. I think it was Doug Christie’s idea……[/quote]

Zing!

• Sammy | September 14, 2006 at 11:03 pm |

Probably not Unination…it looks too much like urination.

Uni-Ts? I don’t get this one.

I propose Uni Watchers. Does someone second that?

• Barney | September 14, 2006 at 11:27 pm |

Probably not Unination…it looks too much like urination.

Uni-Ts? I don’t get this one.

I propose Uni Watchers. Does someone second that?[/quote]

Seconded!

• Miguel | September 14, 2006 at 11:48 pm |

[quote comment=”8871″][quote comment=”8870″][quote comment=”8831″]… a (what do we call ourselves by the way? unination? uni-ts?) member of Uniwatch… [/quote]

Probably not Unination…it looks too much like urination.

Uni-Ts? I don’t get this one.

I propose Uni Watchers. Does someone second that?[/quote]

Seconded![/quote]

I just tell my friends that I read “this blog for uni-freaks”.

• Brinke Guthrie | September 15, 2006 at 12:29 am |

Probably not Unination…it looks too much like urination.

Uni-Ts? I don’t get this one.

I propose Uni Watchers. Does someone second that?[/quote]

yeah, thats a good one.

• Buckeye Mike | September 15, 2006 at 12:47 am |

I nearly puked when i read this, makes me ashamed to be a fan of the buckeyes, this guy can’t be fore real.

“Teams: Oklahoma at Oregon
    Time (TV): 3:30 pm (ABC/GP)
    Interest: 4
    Cheer For: Oregon

Believe it or not, Oregon has a much tougher road than Oklahoma. That’s why we’re cheering for Oregon. That and we love their sweet unis. Admit it. You love ‘em. It’s okay. Their uniforms are a lot like early “Seinfeld” episodes. At first, you’re like, “I don’t get it.” Then you start to understand. Now you realize that they are one of the top appareled teams in the country. Oklahoma will understand after Saturday. They will see these sweet flashes of yellow and green running by them repeatedly”

as seen at

• Buckeye Mike | September 15, 2006 at 12:51 am |

i guess i should have read on, this guy is nuckin futts

“Teams: Youngstown State at Penn State
    Time (TV): 3:30 pm (ESPNU)
    Interest: 3
    Cheer For: Penn State

• a arauz | September 15, 2006 at 9:06 am |

[quote comment=”8875″]i guess i should have read on, this guy is nuckin futts

“Teams: Youngstown State at Penn State
    Time (TV): 3:30 pm (ESPNU)
    Interest: 3
    Cheer For: Penn State

If Oregon’s uniforms are the “Seinfeld” of uniforms, then Penn State’s uniforms are “Diagnosis Murder”.”[/quote]
    Mike–do yourself a favor: don’t read that website anylonger :) Well ok, you can read it, just don’t follow any of his tips. whatta clown!

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | September 15, 2006 at 9:42 am |

[quote comment=”8868″]I have no problem with the argument that the uniforms are ugly–they are. I have no problem with guys not wanting to watch, either–their prerogative. What I do have a problem with is reducing athletes to nothing more than a piece of ass only to be watched because of pulchritude.

To finish the diatribe before crawling back into my cave, can we please stick to uniforms and Monopoly pieces? I will try to do the same.[/quote]

i agree. to say the wnba is subpar is unfair. subpar to what? what higher womens league in the us is establishing par for us? this is the highest level of pro womens hoop in the us. this IS par!

we dont say that little league baseball is subpar to ncaa baseball. why? because it is two different levels of play.

we are never going to get the same “flare” in the wnba that we have in the nba, but again, it is two different games…

do we now have to bring up the and1 mix tape?