In case you didn’t know — and let’s face it, you probably didn’t — the International Softball Federation‘s 11th annual Women’s World Championship tournament is currently taking place in Beijing. And as is usually the case with anything going on in that part of the world, Uni Watch Far East Correspondent Jeremy Brahm is on the case. Here are some of the many observations he recently forwarded to Uni Watch HQ:
• The Greek team has olive branches on their helmets.
• The Brits should stick to soccer, because they have no fucking clue how to design a softball jersey.
• Classy look for Botswana — and a left-handed catcher to boot.
• Dig the collars on the North Korean unis. Also note how the cropped jersey nicely exposes the belt. But why’s this gal wearing blue sleeves and socks, instead of red like everyone else? The Dear Leader’s gonna hear about this!
• See those thin stripes at the base of the Venezuelans’ sleeves and shorts? Those are the colors of the country’s national flag. For their white jersey, they managed to get all three colors into the chest insignia.
• The Dutch look like they’ve been taking notes from the NBA.
• What the hell are they smoking in New Zealand? (Maybe the helmet logo is a hint.)
• Another guilty green/gold pleasure: the Aussies, despite all the visual gibberish. Meanwhile, that’s one weird chest protector the catcher‘s wearing. And is that a soccer ball depicted on the tip of this gal’s bat?
Although the text of this entry is mine, Jeremy deserves the credit, since he provided all of these photos and many of the observations (I wouldn’t have noticed the soccer ball on the Aussie player’s bat, for example, and I’d never even heard of the “Earn Your Stripes” program). Ãœber-thanks to him!
Uni Watch News Ticker: Jersey switcheroo for the Thrashers, where the original home design is being shelved and the third jersey will now be worn for all home games. The road design is unchanged. Further details here. … Weirdest underbill update ever: What’s that on Don Newcombe’s panama hat? … That New Balance logo on Central Michigan’s new jersey sure looks close to the collar and wordmark, no? … Exactly one day after I reported that the Diamondbacks would be changing their color scheme next season, further confirmation appeared here. … Given our various discussions of players with long surnames, can anyone find a rear-view photo of this guy? … Good article here about Tsuyoshi Shinjo (with thanks to Jeremy Brahm). … Pittsburgh-related photo finds from Chris Hilf: a 1924 football team, a 1912 Pirates shot, a 1910 photo of Honus Wagner (note the sleeve cuffs!), and an amazing shot of a 1923 Little League team. Of somewhat more recent vintage, there’s this 1975 high school girls basketball team (who should never have had to wear “TA” on their jerseys, even if the name of the high school was Taylor Allderdice). … Good catch by Brian Redesmke, who notes that in the space of a couple of days, Nomar’s cleats went from Reebok (Aug. 30th) to Puma (Sept. 2nd). … Roman numeral alert: Check out the nameplate on Oregon’s Walter Thurmond III (with thanks to Jeremy Brahm for the screen shot). … In last week’s ESPN column, I wrote that Northwestern and Miami (Ohio) would wear a “41 Walk” helmet sticker to memorialize Randy Walker. What I didn’t realize was that the sticker would be on the nose bumper, instead of on the back like most other memorial stickers. Interesting approach (and good catch by webmaster John Ekdahl, who found the photo). … Virginia Tech’s Kam Chancellor had a nameplate malfunction midway through Saturday’s game (with thanks to Josh Crockett). … Good article here (with an accompanying chart) about MLB players with high uni numbers (tip of the Uni Watch cap to Matt Schudel). … Underbill Update: Kevin Gee notes that Wilfredo Ledezma has been wearing the MLB Authentic hologram under his brim. … Great shot here of the stirrups that Yadier Molina wore yesterday. … In that same game, Ian Snell appeared to have something written on his cap, but I can’t get a clear enough view to see what it was. … At the risk of being overly self-promotional, I think this is so cool (if disappointingly pricey). … Okay, gotta run and start setting up the Uni Watch Labor Day Barbecue! Pics tomorrow, I hope.