Cream City Recap

mke.jpeg

Wouldn’t it be great if you could just show up in a city far from home, announce your presence, and have a bunch of cool strangers come out of the woodwork to play with you? That’s what happened to me in Milwaukee on Thursday night, as about a dozen Uni Watchers joined me for drinks and good times at the very wonderful Art Altenburg’s Concertina Bar (where, yes, there was a live polka band, along with lots of polka-themed signage and promotional props). Seriously, how lucky can a fella get? Like I always say, Uni Watch readers are the coolest, and no writer could ever hope to have a better or nicer readership. Here’s to everyone who came down.

Among the highlights:

• Here’s Dave Mann, wearing the Manitoba Moose jersey that he designed himself (along with the rare chest patch that never went into full production because, as he explained, “it had too many colors”). Mann also delivered a blistering critique of the Milwaukee Bucks’ new logo, which we’ll get to in a sec.

• Wisconsin punk diety and longtime Uni Watch contributor the Rev. Nørb came down from Green Bay — and brought along a slew of purple jerseys, just to fuck with me (he was actually wearing them all when he arrived). For good measure, Nørb also brought me a purple pen, a purple floor tile, and a scrap of purple carpeting (the latter two left over from a recent home “improvement” project), all of which were, of course, confiscated by airport security just prior to my flight back to New York.

• This is Mitch Teich, who came down to interview me for WUWM’s “Lake Effect” radio show. Not sure yet when the interview will run, but probably around the middle of next month — details to follow.

• At left is Nicole Haase, who runs the Cute Sports blog (and who generously served as the local coordinator for this shindig); at right, Tim Adams, who came up from Chicago and joined me for pre-gathering frozen custard at Kopp’s (best ice cream in America, don’tcha know) and some kickass ribs at Speed Queen BBQ.

• Tavern owner and national treasure Art Altenburg got plenty of attention from the ladies, including Stephanie West (here’s another shot) and Mary the Birthday Girl (who also had fun with her newly purchased Concertina Bar T-shirt — complete with accordian straps).

• When our beer-to-protein balance threatened to go haywire, Uni Watch readers turned to pickled eggs — or at least Eric Graves, Gwen Graves, and Tim Langenohl did. The rest of us kept our distance.

• A few more random shots: A.J. Zydzik and Stephanie West; A.J. and me; Nørb and Tim Adams; Nørb, Tim, and me; the Concertina Bar’s highly sophisticated Lost and Found department; and the rare Concertina Bar sign that doesn’t mention polka.

So that was Thursday night. On Friday morning, I was supposed to have breakfast with Bucks vice president John Steinmiller, but it turned out that he wasn’t able to make it. This was tragic on several levels, not the least of which was that I wasn’t able to present Steinmiller with Dave Mann’s deconstruction of the team’s new logo. But I can still present it here (and hopefully I can also arrange for Steinmiller to take a look at this blog entry), so here it is, in Mann’s own words:

What follows is a nutshell synopsis of the major problems with the Bucks new primary logo. These are by no means all the errors in their entirety — some are only visible at huge sizes, such as when printed on the team van (yes, I stalked the promo van) — but this covers the more egregious ones.

Note #1 — The vertical yellow line would appear to divide the (symmetrical) image in half, yes? The line is evenly spaced between the antlers at the top and cuts the apex of the bottom of the red triangle dead-center. Great. Or is it? Look closely at the white shapes that make up the nose and mouth. They are WAY off-center to the right. To be fair, this problem appears to have been present even prior to the change. Still odd.

Note #2 — This is meant to illustrate the glaring difference in silver stroke (industry term for outline) width. It’s nearly twice as wide on the right as on the left. Closer inspection reveals varying stroke width EVERYWHERE. Look at the difference between the stroke width on the deer’s right cheek vs. left — yikes! The stroke around the antlers is thinner than everywhere else. This is NOT a subjective issue. Illustrators use varying line weight for different reasons all the time. But it almost never appears in sports logo design, NEVER appears in symmetrical artwork, and also NEVER appears in differing weights around the very outside of the shape. Outlines in that manner are meant to separate and contain the artwork from distractions around it. While there is a 1% chance the inner linework is intentionally varied, there is NO chance the outer, containment outline should be of different thicknesses.

Note #3 — This is meant to illustrate that the triangle also appears to not be centered. On the right, the triangle/shoulder intersection comes to a point; on the left, there’s an obvious gap.

I never expect any of these issues to be addressed. After all, who’s gonna notice? But what I expect — nay, insist! — on getting corrected is this.

The top example is exactly how the team’s full wordmark appears on the baseline of the Cousin’s Center [the team’s practice facility]; the lower example is what it SHOULD look like. There are lots of missing bevels, which I’ve highlighted in blue. Once you’ve seen it, I hope it’s as obvious to you as it is to me. It’s like a car wreck — I can’t turn away. If they paint the Bradley Center game floor like that, I’ll honestly never be able to attend a game again.

The rest of my Wisconsin trip wasn’t particularly uniform-oriented (unless you count the rad outfits worn during the Porch Honkees photo shoot I sat in on [NSFW: check out their cool new hit, with me cheering in the background, here]), although I did see a nice old high school baseball uni in a vintage shop. Overpriced, though, so I passed.

(A big pickled egg jar full of thanks to Tim Adams and A.J. Zydzik for their photographic contributions, and to Todd Krevanchi for so ably filling in for me on Friday.)

Speaking of Uni Watch gatherings…: Looks like there’s room for another couple of bodies at the Uni Watch bbq party, slated for this Sunday in Brooklyn, New York. If you’re interested, send a note to unibbq at earthlink dot net. I’ll get back to you regarding address, time, etc.

Uni Watch News Ticker: In case you missed it in the Comments section a few days ago, Troy Polamalu was wearing some gonzo socks in practice the other day. … Twins news from an anonymous source in Minnesota: “I work at a Minnesota Twins Pro Shop. We are owned and operated by the Twins, so we get a bunch of game-used jerseys and stuff in. With the trade-deadline trade of Kyle Lohse, we received a few of his game-used jerseys. One of them was that new style of all-mesh with the vents under the arms [i.e., the Cool Base model]. I was asking my boss about it, and he said they’re planning on switching to those jerseys for all of their different styles for next season. He said the players really liked them so they’re making the switch.” … Good catch by Chris Rosa, who notes that the MLB logo on Carlos Delgado’s batting gloves appears to be teal and black — “clearly a holdover from his Marlins days,” says Rosa. … I actually liked Cuba’s red pants during the World Baseball Classic, but check out the faux white stirrups they’re now being paired with during the Pre-Olympic Baseball tourney — ugh. … Looks like Ryan Shealy has something written on his underbill. … Brad Hennessey appears to be the latest pitcher to be wearing a glove that looks impermissibly pale. … Looks like Fred Smoot was wearing no whites with his purple socks the other day. … Our recent discussion of players wearing stick pins prompted a note from Chris Marcinko, who points out that Joey Cora used to wear pins in his cap but was then told to cease and desist by the league office (scroll about two-thirds of the way down that page for the appropriate segment). … Nike’s asymmetrical-sleeve concept has now spread to the high school level (with thanks to Nick Zajicek). … Stunning NFL development on Saturday night, as the Rams went white-on-white. … A recent New York Times article about a 42-year-old U.S. Open ball “boy” includes a tidbit I’d never heard about before: During a 1990 doubles match, a frustrated Ilie Nastase was playing so poorly that he asked the ball boy to find a tennis skirt for him to play in — and the ball boy found one for him. Can’t find a photo yet, though. … Speaking of the U.S. Open ball boys, they’re wearing some nasty jerseys. … Good catch in yesterday’s Comments section by Ryan Real, who notes that Ben Roethlisberger’s wristbands appeared to have a blacked-out logo on Friday night. Turns out it’s made by Neumann, which isn’t an approved NFL licensee (read: isn’t Reebok). … After several Seattle players wore those neon green gloves in the Super Bowl, it’s not surprising that we’re now seeing stuff like this. … Soccer note from Jeremy Brahm: “I was watching Gol (a weekly highlights show on soccer leagues from around the world) on GolTV tonight and saw a game from Portugal between Sporting Club de Portugal (Sporting) and Boavista FC. Boavista traditionally wears a checkered shirt, and Sporting wears white and green stripes — but for this game, both teams wore their white uniforms to start the game. The referee made Sporting change colors for the second half.”

90 comments to Cream City Recap

• Wooster Oh | August 28, 2006 at 9:46 am |

A few notes:
    At the risk of having my man card confiscated, I was flipping through the channels last night and stumbled across some beautiful chick on the runway during the pre-awards brou-ha-ha and the announcer mentioned, ‘purple is the new black.’ I then threw up on my dog. Paul, you’ve been warned.

Also saw Beerfest yesterday. Best uniforms: The Swedish Women’s team (for obvious reasons) and the USA team–very early ’80s-esque.

• DJL | August 28, 2006 at 9:56 am |

• Matt | August 28, 2006 at 9:59 am |

Kopp’s serves frozen custard, not ice cream! And yes, it is the best. After a 3-day drive back to MKE from California, I paid a visit to Kopp’s before I even went home and saw Mom. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | August 28, 2006 at 10:24 am |

first, a thanks to all who offered their kind words and comments on friday. i wasnt sure how things were going to be received by all, but i think all of us in this commUNIty basically think the same way.
    next, a thanks to those who didnt receive my contribution as acceptable and offered their words and comments as well.
    third, from the beginning, when i “got called up to the bigs” my content was going to be about the history of the usa basketball uniform since the advent of logo creep in ’84 and nothing else. (had i had more time i would have incorporated the usa womens team, as well as how sneaker companies have used these events as a marketing strategy) i know you guys expected a comprehensive rundown of all the teams at the world championships. honestly, there is no way i would have been able to put together a piece similar to dave dixon’s offering in the june 6 dot com article…now that was impressive!

• Robert Eden | August 28, 2006 at 10:46 am |

• Kerby | August 28, 2006 at 10:48 am |

I noticed during the Bridgestone Invitational this weekend that Tiger wore the hat with the TW logo in front Thurs, Fri, and Sat. He wore the swoosh in front on Sunday only. I’ve never seen this pattern before (TW 3 days, swoosh 1 day). It seemed lately as though he was wearing TW on front all four days, sans majors, in which he had the TW on Thurs and Fri and swoosh on Sat and Sun. Anyone have any insight as to the “official rotation” of Tiger’s hat logo?

• Mark | August 28, 2006 at 11:01 am |

[quote comment=”6793″]FYI, Under Armour’s “Maryland” uniforms has also filtered to the high school level. Cincinnati Elder, home of the Purple Panthers, debuts the new duds. Apologies for the purple on purple.

Personally, I am partial to my alma mater, St. Edward and rival Benedictine’suniforms.[/quote]

I must say, those Elder unis are better than they had in the past. It pains me to say this (as Elder was an arch rival in high school), but their white-on-white look was actually sharp. I do not know what it will look like now, because I am sure that UA will add more purple to the look. Of course, that picture shows why we used to call them the “Purple Pansies.” (keeping it “G” rated of course).

The Rams white-on-white look is very sharp, I am also impressed with the side stripe.

Finally, speaking of Mr. Woods, his dress is usually rather nice, but what was with that red/orange monstoristy he wore in the PGA? (I can’t find a picture, thankfully, it was the Saturday outfit I believe).

• Jason | August 28, 2006 at 11:05 am |

Regarding the Bucks typeface, If you look at the original, the ‘U’ and ‘K’ are differently shaded in the word “Milwaukee” and in the word “Bucks”. Weird.

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | August 28, 2006 at 11:07 am |

i once read that his nike contract had a stipulation in it that his hat on days 1 and 2 (non network tv days) was to be the tiger woods golf flag logo, and that the final 2 rounds (the days that network tv takes over) he was to wear the nike logo on the front of the hat.

this always surprised me…its as though they are saying, we dont want the same thing to happen to woods that happend with jordan. a situation where the jumpman trumpped the swoosh. i think it would be good business sense to separate tw golf with nike golf.

• norb | August 28, 2006 at 11:07 am |

Man, weird guys start looking even weirder after 40…

• Jersey Mark | August 28, 2006 at 11:11 am |

Great piece today, glad to see you had a good time on your trip, shame on the Bucks for cancelling on you, they were obviously scared!

I don’t like those bright NFL gloves, it would seem like a road map to the ballcarriers hands. I would think you’d want to mask your hands as much as possible.

I would like to officially declair Stephanie West Uni Watch’s resident hottie! Nice Soccer Shirt! ‘:)

• Chris Hilf | August 28, 2006 at 11:14 am |

I cannot agree. Those Rams unis are atrocious. The pants stripe stops at the jersey and to me looks awful. If the white pants were with the blue jersey i might feel differently. Or if the jerseys had a continuing stripe, like the old Mets jerseys we were discussing last week – i could handle that.

• Ian K | August 28, 2006 at 11:17 am |

RE: Sunday Night Baseball – Cubs vs. Cards
    I don’t follow the Cardinals very closely but I noticed they wore their home whites with their alternate cap (navy blue w/ bird on the bat). The colors of this cap match their road cap (red STL on navy) so I always assumed this alt cap was road-only. In my opinion, last night’s color scheme pales in comparison to the normal red and white.

• Riff | August 28, 2006 at 11:17 am |

Broncos backs have been wearing those gloves for a while now.

I think these jerseys look great, but is it really that hard to match shoes? College of the Sequoias had that same problem.

Yesterday, someone mentioned that they like that Nike, Reebok and UnderArmour aren’t yet in racing. Too bad Puma (check the shoulders) has already opened the door.

Yesterday I got my first screen grabs! It’s hard to tell here, but in the Angels-Yanks game, Mike Napoli and Adam Kennedy had the grey from their Nike undershirts peek out of the armholes of their vests. Classless. That ruined the Angels’ best look. (Kennedy’s was more obvious when he was up to bat in the 7th, I think, but alas, I have no DVR)

Is it just me, or does MLB need to put restrictions on umpires’ sleeve length? Also during the Dodgers-D’backs game, Orlando Hudson is bringing the one sleeve look to baseball. If nothing else, it just looks weird. Plus Eric Byrnes looked a little sloppy.

• Tom O'Grady | August 28, 2006 at 11:18 am |

Paul & the Brew Crew-

Sorry I missed the polkafest. My loss.

Yeah the new Bucks logo can best be described:

“When Good Logos Go Bad.”

Not any real reason this overly beveled Milwaukee Bucks font and its irregularities and errors.

I assume NBA Creative Services did not use Todd Radom for this when they should have. Check out his Nationals fonts. Perfect.

The Bucks head actually could have used a little tweaking from the master, Dick Sakahara but against the Secaucus/Canton design connection ain’t rockin anyones world.

T.

• DrBear | August 28, 2006 at 11:26 am |

Paul, Paul, Paul…

Kopp’s is not ice cream. It’s frozen custard. Using a process called overrun, air is blended into the mixture of ingredients until its volume increases by approximately 20%. By comparison, ice cream may have an overrun as large as 100% – meaning half of the final product is composed of air. The high percentage of butterfat and egg yolk gives frozen custard a thick, creamy texture and a smoother, softer consistency than ice cream. Frozen custard is most often served at 26 degrees Fahrenheit (a full 16 degrees warmer than the 10 degrees Fahrenheit at which ice cream is served).

Knowing your appreciation of detail…this had to be said.

• Riff | August 28, 2006 at 11:26 am |

Dig the Rams white pants!

Paul, I think you need to make your next trip out to California. Can I get an AMEN from my fellow Californians?!

• Paul Lukas | August 28, 2006 at 11:33 am |

[quote comment=”6810″]Paul, Paul, Paul…

Kopp’s is not ice cream. It’s frozen custard.[/quote]

I know. I’ve written whole articles about frozen custard (when not writing about uniforms, I’m often writing about food). I just used “ice cream” here as a colloquialism. Like, if someone was gonna make a list of the best ice cream outlets in America, you’d want them to include Kopp’s, right? Even if it isn’t technically ice cream, it’s part of that world. In fact, it’s at the very TOP of that world.

But that’s for another blog, not this one…

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | August 28, 2006 at 11:34 am |

hey norb,
    as the resident punk diety…what era/genre do you prefer…
    me, uk oi late 70’s early 80’s
    faves… cockney rejects, peter and the test tube babies, pork dukes, plenty of others too long to name here… in my neck of the woods, we get a nice group of old bands to come in…
    here is a show in chicago that a friend of mine is heading too.. nice lineup

• redemske | August 28, 2006 at 11:39 am |

Those Cardinals alternate hats are only worn on Sundays at home. But the best thing for the Cardinals would be to wear the red lids all the time — they look better than anything else.

• Craig | August 28, 2006 at 11:43 am |

Paul Tracy looks fantastic in this mask, but is it fire retardant?

• Schafe | August 28, 2006 at 11:45 am |

Very nice improvement by the Rams. Love the white-on-white look. I do not dislike their gold pants, (hate the blue), but the lack of a stripe on the gold looks very college-like. NEW RULE: All NFL teams must have a stripe on their pants. This used to be a given till the Rams and Jags went solid.

• Marc | August 28, 2006 at 11:49 am |

As for stick pins, don’t forget Bucky Dent’s cross pin that he wore in his cap while he managed the Yankees. I’m pretty sure UW covered this a few months ago.

• alan | August 28, 2006 at 11:50 am |

CollegeJersey.com

• Forrest | August 28, 2006 at 11:53 am |

[quote comment=”6797″]Thumbs up to the Rams’ white-on-whites. It is a huge improvement. Love the strips on the pants.[/quote]

They kind of look like the new
    Colorado Crush away uniforms…

• Jeff | August 28, 2006 at 12:27 pm |

Paul,
    I am disappointed YOU didn’t wear jersey to a UNI Watch gathering. I have come to expect much more from you than just a t-shirt.

• Rick | August 28, 2006 at 12:28 pm |

Wow… I cannot believe the the Bucks have glaring errors that I would’ve corrected for my softball teams logo I made in photoshop. I make a lot of the graphics for the website of a small company I work for and I catch flak if things are off by a few pixels! jeez…

Anyway, Paul, you didnt happen to run into fellow Page 2’er Bill Simmons while you were in Wisconson, did you? He was there last week as well.

• nybatt | August 28, 2006 at 12:31 pm |

has the redskin’s “we have luck in the white-on-white scheme” finally run its course??

• a arauz | August 28, 2006 at 12:50 pm |

No no no no no no no no nybatt-

The Redskins are encouraged to continue with the white on white look for the remainder of the season… They’re good luck, you know !!!

• Patrick | August 28, 2006 at 1:05 pm |

[quote comment=”6806″]RE: Sunday Night Baseball – Cubs vs. Cards

Any Cards fans know what the rules are for their alternate caps? Sundays only maybe?[/quote]

The alternate caps are for Sunday home games only.

• Chris Hilf | August 28, 2006 at 1:08 pm |

Big Ben has been doing that for awhile now.

• Tim B | August 28, 2006 at 1:12 pm |

[quote comment=”6793″]

Cant let a St. Ed’s reference go without the classic St. Ignatius uniforms…

• Tom O'Grady | August 28, 2006 at 1:15 pm |

Laying props to the adidas gang.

Wow. Kicks Nike ID.com’s ass.

Sweet treats.

T.

• Matt R. | August 28, 2006 at 1:17 pm |

Regarding the Portuguese soccer uniforms note, horizontal stripes such as the team mentioned as having green and white stripes are more accurately called “hoops”. This is to distinguish them from the more popular vertical stripes in soccer uniforms.
    As an aside, the most popular soccer team to wear hoops is probably Celtic in Scotland. The team also wears green and white hoops.

• Riff | August 28, 2006 at 1:18 pm |

CollegeJersey.com

ugly for sure even as a ‘Canes fan I couldn’t fathom wearing this jersey on game day…[/quote]

• Beau | August 28, 2006 at 1:20 pm |

• Tom | August 28, 2006 at 1:32 pm |

[quote comment=”6836″]Paul, good to hear you enjoyed yourself in my home state. Anyway, I have something different to discuss. NFL season is almost upon us, and I’m getting pumped. I dunno if this has ever been brought to this site’s attnetion before, but the Cincinnati Bengals were kind(?) enough to inform us of which awful uniform of theirs they’ll be wearing for each game this year, complete with photos. What I find most interesting is that that they will wear three different jerseys during home games. You can see for yourself here… though I recommend donning some sunglasses before visiting this link.

Paul Lukas pointed this out recently and (correctly) predicted other teams would follow trend. Just noticed the Panthers have announced their home jerseys. Similar the the Bengals, they will wear three different jerseys at home.

Panthers Wear Your Colors

• Kevin | August 28, 2006 at 1:39 pm |

• A.J. Zydzik | August 28, 2006 at 1:43 pm |

[quote comment=”6839″]Interesting beer choices in those photos. I saw alot of Old Style and PBR. Yikes![/quote]

I am in several of the photos drinking a PBR..not my favorite beer, not even in my top 100 of favorite beers actually, but when in Rome…

• JTH | August 28, 2006 at 1:48 pm |

[quote comment=”6813″]
    here is a show in chicago that a friend of mine is heading too.. nice lineup

The Blue Meanies are listed as a “reunion”? Did they ever actually break up? I know they haven’t had a record in years, but they still play shows in Chicago now and again.

• Razr | August 28, 2006 at 2:01 pm |

• jason | August 28, 2006 at 2:01 pm |

Pauly, Pauly, Pauly,

I’m disapointed. Tatum Bell has been wearing orange gloves since he first hit the NFL in 2004. I know this because (take a deep breath) I like orange, and thought cool gloves when I first saw them. As far as weird green gloves, I think they made their first appearance last year.

• Nastykjn | August 28, 2006 at 2:25 pm |

Paul,

It would seem only fitting that you do some follow up work here in the 49th State as part of one of your trip. After all a UniWatch reader, (Mr. Doug Brei), updated the Alaska Baseball League logo ABL Logo

This follow up is sorely needed since you’ve given everyone the impression that these are the kinds of unis we still have in rotation:

Bonds

Giambi

I would recommend the Summer Solstice game that starts at midnight and is played without the need for artifical lighting.

• nybatt | August 28, 2006 at 2:33 pm |

a quick note on colored gloves… beginning with “my” giants switch back to their classic red-dominated road unis… many players went to grey and red gloves… new touch this season is more red incorporated into the giants black cleats.. actually looks “ok”… even though I’m an “all-black” kinda guy…

ALSO…. I thought home teams could decide game week what uni they would wear for that weekend’s game… I recall the giants deciding during game-week in week 1 of the 2000 season to wear white at home versus the cards….

• Jeff | August 28, 2006 at 2:46 pm |

And to keep this post on-topic, the Cardinals really need to ditch the blue road caps. Or at least tweak them by making the brims red and the logos white with red outlines.[/quote]

I disagree. As a Cardinals fan, I love the blue road hat and I dislike the Sunday hat.

• Riff | August 28, 2006 at 2:59 pm |

[quote comment=”6843″]I know that this is stupid and off-base. But for the sake of discussion, does anyone think that companies like Nike and Adidas will start making suits for their athletes to wear to promote their brands further, especially with the NBA Dress code? Just for discussion…[/quote]

I’d definitely buy a Nike suit if they made it. Complete with stretchy and breathable underarm gussets…

• Riff | August 28, 2006 at 3:08 pm |

• Mike from Queens | August 28, 2006 at 3:31 pm |

I’ve never liked the Giants uniforms until recently. This is a snooze-fest. And even the greatest linebacker of all time doesn’t do much for this version. Then there’s the old white version. Not sure what that black thing on Harry’s shoulder is, but it certainly never slowed him down. And then there’s the newer white in the lower right hand corner of this very inclusive uniform display for the Jints.

But recently, we’ve seen not only some pretty cool striping, but this plain yet effective red uni.

By the way, who wouldn’t want to see Tom Coughlin in these pants?

[quote comment=”6847″]ALSO… I thought home teams could decide game week what uni they would wear for that weekend’s game…[/quote]

• a arauz | August 28, 2006 at 3:47 pm |

[quote comment=”6853″][quote comment=”6847″]a quick note on colored gloves… beginning with “my” giants switch back to their classic red-dominated road unis… many players went to grey and red gloves… new touch this season is more red incorporated into the giants black cleats… actually looks “ok”… even though I’m an “all-black” kinda guy…[/quote]

By the way, who wouldn’t want to see Tom Coughlin in these pants?

That thing Harry is wearing appears to be a black band to commemorate a death in the Giant’s family. Maybe Dougie Kotar, as the picture look taken circa 1983?

• Richard | August 28, 2006 at 4:18 pm |

From yesterday’s motor racing discussion, the Schumacher overalls are here.

Sorry I didn’t post this at the time.

• Kevin | August 28, 2006 at 4:34 pm |

“Mary the Birthday Girl” should be “Mary the Uniwatch Babe”.

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | August 28, 2006 at 4:46 pm |

[quote comment=”6855″]From yesterday’s motor racing discussion, the Schumacher overalls are here.

Sorry I didn’t post this at the time.[/quote]

10 years ago, schumacher signed a nike deal and wore these shoes
    i believe at the time they were the most expensive pair of nike’s you could buy in the retail market at $225 or so (however very limited)
    light weight, breathable and fire resistant materials were the driving factor in pricing…

• Dave | August 28, 2006 at 5:21 pm |

Sporting Club de Portugal’s jerseys aren’t “stripes” (which are vertical), rather they are “hoops” (which are horizontal).

Same for Glasgow Celtic, Reading of the English Premier League, and FC Dallas of Major League Soccer.

Thanks for caring.

• USA!-USA!-USA! | August 28, 2006 at 5:29 pm |

In America, we call them stripes.

• alan | August 28, 2006 at 5:47 pm |

[quote comment=”6835″][quote comment=”6819″]Just a note about the Nike asymetrical jerseys that you mentioned in today’s blog. You may note that this is a copy of the Nike Revolution jersey that the University of Miami and Virginia Tech wore last season. i.e.
    CollegeJersey.com

Actually, Alan, those are not copies of either team’s jersey. In fact the jerseys that Miami, Virginia Tech and Florida wore are all VERY different with respect to each other. I’m sure the h.s. team liked the idea and had Nike incorporate it into their unis.[/quote]

You’re so right Riff. I should have worded that differently. I meant to convey that they didn’t so much copy the jerseys but the concept and style. My bad for the verbal miscue… Although the Revolution jerseys are still an eyesore, especially Oregon’s manhole cover jersey…

• PMAN | August 28, 2006 at 6:03 pm |

• Marc M. | August 28, 2006 at 6:09 pm |

Hi Paul:

How about making a trip to the City of Brotherly Love? Philly has great bars, great unis and a great history. Count me in!

• Melon | August 28, 2006 at 6:36 pm |

I can’t believe how disappointed I am with you on this fair day. Red pants? You liked the red pants? Red? As any baseball uniform aficionado should know, all baseball pants should be, nay MUST be restricted to white or grey. Not only do coloured pants (including black) have no place in the historical baseball uniform, they look absolutely terrible when included with any baseball uniform. Coloured pants should be restricted to depressing slo-pitch leagues for overweight “athletes” who’s failed athletic dreams have pushed them into a pseudo-sport where they can feel like they have talent simply becuase they can excel among even lesser athletes in a bastardized sport. Then when they feel good enough about themselves they can form teams with like-minded people and order terrible uniforms featuring coloured pants because they believe they are unique and edgy. Of course they don’t realize that coloured pants are terrible becuase they never excelled enough at baseball to learn its traditions and realize that their uniform choices are an insult to the great game that their idiotic “sport” was based on. At least that’s how it works here in Canada.

• Riff | August 28, 2006 at 6:44 pm |

Thanks for the info, PMAN.

Alan, I’m still gonna have to disagree and say that those Revolution jerseys are some of the best I’ve ever seen (save for Oregon’s atrocities). I absolutely love Florida’s rendition. I think the contrast between the classic striping on one sleeve and the unique left shoulder is genius!

Mike from Queens, I disagree with you as well about the Giants jerseys. The new white ones with the stripes are just embarassing. Too much uncontained red flying around making it bland and difficult to read the numbers and letters. My biggest problem with them is the sleeve striping. I think it’s pathetic that the yolk can’t avoid the stripes, making them obstructed and unnatural. Nike did a much better job with the white ones (note Strahan’s gorgeous gloves!). Also those red ones are horrible! It’s too much red flying around the field for a team that looks fantastic in it’s classy/retro/trademark blue.

About baseball belts: Isn’t the rule in general fashion that the belt match the shoes? I.E. brown shoes, brown belt? That’s what I’ve been taught. Suddenly, this doesn’t seem so odd.

• Paul Lukas | August 28, 2006 at 6:47 pm |

[quote comment=”6865″]Not only do coloured pants (including black) have no place in the historical baseball uniform…[/quote]

You couldn’t be more wrong. For starters, red pants have appeared in the big leagues. And there are lots of other examples of dark MLB pants, as you can see here, here, and here.

I’m not saying any of these look good (or bad) — I’m just saying there’s plenty of historical precedent for colored baseball pants.

• Melon | August 28, 2006 at 6:55 pm |

My anger for coloured pants has caused me to make a terrible historical mistake. I am shamed. Especially as a longtime proud owner of “Baseball Uniforms of the 20th Century” by Mark Okkonen and baeball hat collector (strictly New Era, minor league and major leagues, no rainbow coloured Yankee hats). Not a good way to introduce myself to the site lol.

• Micah | August 28, 2006 at 7:05 pm |

Riff,

• TX Ken Tobler | August 28, 2006 at 7:08 pm |

I’ve never seen it till now, but I think the Rams look sharp in white-on white!

• Riff | August 28, 2006 at 7:36 pm |

[quote comment=”6870″]Riff,

Strahan’s gloves are the Magnigrip Elite, my favorite pair of Nike football gloves ever![/quote]

AGREED!!

• Warren Thompson | August 28, 2006 at 7:38 pm |

[quote comment=”6859″]Since this is the only blog I’ve ever seen that takes these things as seriously as I do, let me point out the following:

Thanks for caring.[/quote]

OK, but one person’s “stripes” are another’s
    “hoops.” Stripes, hoops … what difference does it make in the long run?

• Steve | August 28, 2006 at 7:42 pm |

To the person who was wondering when NFL teams alts were being worn:

Here’s a list I picked up somewhere while looking for info on if the Broncos were wearing the Orange alts or throwbacks this year (they aren’t). It may or may not be useful, and I think I got it from a message board so it may not even be legit, but it’s worth noting.

Here’s from the NFL Kickoff release.

TEAM THIRD JERSEY DATE(S)
    Buffalo Bills Royal Blue 9/24 & 12/3
    Carolina Panthers Blue 11/19
    Chicago Bears Orange 11/5
    Cincinnati Bengals Orange 10/22 & 12/10
    Cleveland Browns Brown 11/26
    Detroit Lions Black 9/10 & 12/24
    Houston Texans Red 10/22
    Jacksonville Jaguars Black 11/20
    New England Patriots Silver 12/17
    Philadelphia Eagles Black 11/19
    San Diego Chargers Classic Blue 10/8 & 11/5
    San Francisco 49ers Red 11/5 & 12/24
    Tennessee Titans Titan Blue 10/29 & 12/3

The following clubs will have jersey patches or commemorative balls for specific anniversaries/memorials:

TEAM PATCH/BALL
    Arizona Cardinals New stadium game ball (9/10)
    Cleveland Browns 60th anniversary patch
    Cleveland Browns 60th anniversary game ball (9/10)
    San Francisco 49ers 60th anniversary patch

• Andrew F. | August 28, 2006 at 7:43 pm |

As can be seen here- http://www.oldbethpa... navy and black pants were used back in the 1800s, complete with suspenders. That’s as historical as it gets.

But then again, that statement came from a man who’s country’s MLB team accepts “graphite” as a hat color…

• Mediocre Joe | August 28, 2006 at 8:20 pm |

Count the number of company’s logos on that St Edward’s player. I count 10 from 5 different companies.

• MAO | August 28, 2006 at 8:20 pm |

They’re everywhere:

• J Rob | August 28, 2006 at 8:31 pm |

I knew it.
    So Pretty

Dead on?

Even with the black jerseys in tonights game the Bengals look really poofy.

• Mike from Queens | August 28, 2006 at 8:51 pm |

That’s not Michael Strahan. That’s Jessie Armstead. Strahan is number 92.

• Timeout | August 28, 2006 at 9:33 pm |

I’m trying to find a picture, and I wish I would have taken one at the game, but Friday night the Fresno Grizzlies wore pink jerseys that were auctioned off after the game to help raise money for breast cancer research. I think they worked as they scored 24 runs in the game. I’ll work on finding a picture or call the club to see if there are any in the team shop.

By the way the Niners look amazing in the old red and gold, especially when they bring out the striped socks for the game and the gray face mask

• Russell Hailwood | August 28, 2006 at 9:58 pm |

Alas, not all 11-13 year olds are as uni inept. At the highest level of domestic amateur baseball, the USSSA world Series, the 11 year olds not only dress better, with all 24 teams dressed immaculately, they play on bigger fields using major league rules.
    I’m sorry if this is choppy- Little League really rubs me the wrong way when the TV coverage leads people to believe that either the kids look good in their own styles, or that they are anywhere near the best 12 year olds in the country.

• Raul | August 28, 2006 at 10:10 pm |

[quote comment=”6881″]Now I know that Paul doesn’t like to talk about the LLWS, and while he is right about it, I couldn’t help but vent. After all, it’s hard to find too many college girls that care about unis. But Kyle Johnson, the pitcher from USA in the championship, had his hat cocked farther to the side than D Willis, and at certain points even had it sitting precariously on the top of his head like my grandfather. His pants, of course, were just a shoe top length version of white basketball shorts.
    I’m sorry that I couldn’t find any photo evidence, but then again I wouldn’t want this kid to think he is even more famous than he will be for the next week.[/quote]
    On Saturday they said the kid has a shunt in his brain that takes excess fluid away and he has to wear his hat crooked or it pushes on the plastic in his head. God doesn’t intend to judge a man until the end of his days, why should you?

• Lee | August 28, 2006 at 10:18 pm |

[quote comment=”6850″][quote comment=”6843″]
    But Nike owns Cole Haan, who already incorporate Nike technology (read this product description) so I doubt Nike will do it opn their own any time soon. Until they do, we’ll just have to be satisfied with something like Sylvia Hatchell’s lapel pins. By the way, anyone know where I can get one of those?[/quote]
    my Cole Haan’s shoes with Nike Air in the heel are easily the most comfortable pair of dress shoes that i own. i love them, if you couldn’t tell

• Tako | August 28, 2006 at 10:24 pm |

• Brinke Guthrie | August 28, 2006 at 10:46 pm |

Ah, the Elder Panthers. Do they still play in “The Pit?” And what might the Mariemont Warriors (class of 78) be clad in these days? Don’t catch much of them out here in SF CA…

• John Ekdahl | August 28, 2006 at 10:51 pm |

[quote comment=”6885″]hey good to see the japanese kids rocking the high socks, but what was with the extreme bill curve on their pitcher today? it was almost a crease. i’ll find a picture.[/quote]

Morgan was saying it helped create tunnel vision by blocking out the crowd. I don’t make it a habit to listen to Morgan, though.

• Brinke Guthrie | August 28, 2006 at 10:53 pm |

Logo Creep Alert:
    Tuesday Nights on NBC..”Friday Night Lights,” a story bout high school football…features UA in the clips.

• Tim | August 28, 2006 at 11:18 pm |

[quote comment=”6863″][quote comment=”6851″]What’s up with this photo? Hines and Ben have their helmet numbers up front but Mr. Starks has it on the back. I don’t really feel like doing research right now, so can someone tell me why? Does every player have the numbers on both sides of the helmet?[/quote]

The steelers numbers are both on the front and the back of their helmets, that being said its nice to see that the single numbers are still in the middle of the stripe. Paul just a side note, but why not come to the land of 10,000 Lakes and give the Vikings a piece of your mind face to face? There are some very nice bars downtown by the Metrodome.[/quote]

Also, the Steelers don’t put the front numbers on until the regular season. Throughout camp and preseason, they only wear the numbers on the back of their helmets.

• Mr. Met | August 28, 2006 at 11:39 pm |

[quote comment=”6853″]As far as I know, this is true. I remember reading that the Cowboys hate their blue unis, so they always wear white at home and usually wear white on the road because the home team uses the dark jersey. Then again, I’m sure someone else can verify this.[/quote]

The Cowboys dislike their blue unis (don’t know why, they actually have a very classy design), and wear white almost year-round. The exception is when they play at Washington, where Joe Gibbs, also a proponent of white unis at home and on the road, forces the Cowboys to wear blue on the road. The Cowboys do the same thing to the ‘skins, forcing them to wear burgundy at Dallas. I believe there was also a game where the Cowboys played at Carolina last year where the Panthers decided to wear white at home, forcing the Cowboys to wear blue on the road.

The Dolphins have also adopted this practice, wearing white jerseys and pants at home and on the road. Apparently Nick Saban abhors the teal pants, and has scrapped them. Last year they would have worn white jerseys and pants for all 16 games except for a road game at Tampa Bay where the Buce wore white at home.

• Jim | August 29, 2006 at 12:11 am |

I noticed something in the Monday Night Football game tonight. Being able to block out the fudgicles, I noticed that Donald Driver’s jersey had the NFL Equipment patch between his numbers. At first, I thought he was wearing a jersey with a white collar, but after seeing that the collar had folded into his shoulder pads, it looked very awkward to see the patch between the 8 and 0 on the front of his jersey.

Here is a picture of his home jersey, but the NFL Equipment patch is in the same position:

• Hammer | August 29, 2006 at 12:27 am |

LOGO CREEP!
    Number 64 in that high school photo has both the nike logo from his jersey and the under armour UA showing from his undershirt.

• Mike from Queens | August 29, 2006 at 2:18 am |

[quote comment=”6890″] Apparently Nick Saban abhors the teal pants, and has scrapped them.[/quote]

As someone who is currently in college getting his MA in English, ABHOR is a FANTASTIC word.

• BurghFan | August 29, 2006 at 3:22 am |

IIRC, Cowboys management decided early in their existence that it would be more interesting to let their fans see visitors wearing their colored jerseys, so they wore their white shirts at home and (obviously) chose to stick with it.

Many of their NFC East rivals would wear their white jerseys at home so the Cowboys would have to wear their blue. Apparently, there’s an NFL rule that a team wearing white at home has to give the visitor sufficient notice; I read once that one of the division foes gave this notice by putting up a billboard near the Cowboys’ facility.

• Bill | August 29, 2006 at 9:34 am |

[quote comment=”6870″]Riff,

Couldn’t let it go any longer – that’s not Strahan – Strahan wears 92 – that’s Jesse Armstead.

• a arauz | August 29, 2006 at 2:36 pm |

[quote comment=”6879″][quote comment=”6866″]Nike did a much better job with the white ones (note Strahan’s gorgeous gloves!). [/quote]

That’s not Michael Strahan. That’s Jessie Armstead. Strahan is number 92.

And also, I hate the Giants name, their color scheme, everything. And I’m actually a Giants fan. I just think it’s a weak name, a weak home jersey, and red, white, and blue as the colors? Lame. They’ve never had a decent logo (that NY thing only looks classic because it sucks), and overall they just play it “safe.” I love the newer ones because I’m tired of the whole “Big Blue” thing. Just because some writers from rags like the Post or the Daily News come up with that name, they force my team to stick with a boring jersey? In a game where rule changes affect gameplay every year, I don’t think there’s any real history except for a few franchises (Packers, Bears, 49ers, Raiders, Steelers, Cowboys, Redskins). Everything else should be subject to change. Hire an artist, come up with a logo, change the name of the team, move it back into New York, and get some new damn colors. None of this will ever happen, and I’m in the extreme minority I’m sure.[/quote]
    The Giants are all about Tradition. You want to root for a team w/ a cute name & colors? Become
    a Toronto Raptors fan.

• Beau | August 29, 2006 at 3:45 pm |

[quote comment=”6871″]I’ve never seen it till now, but I think the Rams look sharp in white-on white![/quote]

Yeah, you know I was watching the KC/STL preseason thought the exact same thing. Though one other thing stood out, too. Did the Rams make their pants stripe thicker this year or has it always looked like that?

• clemente21 | August 31, 2006 at 11:37 am |

Isn’t the guy on the left in this photo Mike Lowell’s brother? = )

• fifmeister | September 4, 2006 at 6:12 am |

Rather unusual soocer Shirt on Stephanie there.
    I never expected to see a shirt of members of the Austrian Football League (Soccer that is) Wacker Tirol on the uni watch blog.
    and thank god that Stephanie chose the Shirt without the Sponsors because since the sponsor less shirts are quiet nice their gameshirts have, amongst other logo creep tendencies, a huge red sponsor badge on them.